Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Apples

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Apples »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Apples wrote: Amusing that anyone would think I was actually "shocked" by what Andrew posted from Vox Day and Sailer, or -- even more laughable -- that I am an "extreme liberal" (not that there would be anything wrong with that -- some of my closest friends are extreme liberals). I was actually quite serious when I suggested he tell us more about his admiration for Vox Day, and I'd be even more entertained by a Slymepit debate about "race realism."
Well there you go. Turns out I am actually guilty of the same thing I attributed to some, making an unwarranted assumption without checking in with the person and verifying if my take reflected what they actually think.

Would you consider Mike the Mad Biologist an example of an an "extreme liberal"? And if so, would that negate everything he had to say even when he is right about something?
No offense taken. Not familiar enough with MtMB to know whether I'd call him an extreme liberal, and no, I most definitely don't think frequently-wrong people can't get things right or put them elegantly. But who a person chooses as their source tends to be revealing both about who they think their audience is and what they think of the source in general.

I was actually just rattling your cage because you seem to be a Vox Day and Steve Sailer fan and I was hoping to spark some fireworks by getting you to defend them. My question for you would be -- what do you think either of them gets wrong (if anything)? No need to answer if you don't feel like it.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Remick wrote:Great video response to Anita's terrible damsels in distress video.

Here.

[youtube]HJihi5rB_Ek[/youtube]
That really underlies the entire problem with the whole SJW position. And it's really a broad thing. Think about all the times they say that "Women want X" or "Y hurts Women". They're talking about women as they're a monolithic group...the individual does not matter.

It's the same thing with the video. The take-away is that Zelda and Peach are simply damsels in distress, and nothing more. That is objectification in and of itself. It's the same thing as thinking that Zelda and Peach are walking pairs of boobs. (I don't think anybody really thinks that, to be honest). This has been long the problem with her works, reducing characters to one dimensional, when they clearly don't belong there. Now I agree about older video games, when EVERYTHING was one-dimensional. But things have changed. And you do have to look into the entire context.

This sort of objectification I really do think hurts when it comes to breaking down these common tropes and stereotypes.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Hunt wrote:
It's kind of funny that Vox Day has come up in this discussion because when Zvan uttered her "you've had your shot and have proven unworthy" comment, my reply was that the last person to say something like that to me was Theodore Beale. My next comment (awaiting moderation) was "It seems the left and the right really do meet around back." She'll probably parse that as some kind of perverse sexual innuendo. Next I just pointed out that if anyone is confused about the intent of the Marc Lapine post at Pharyngula, one merely needs to read the uncontradicted stream of comments that make the comparison entirely explicit.

Anyway, by way of introduction, I should just say that I'm not on one side or the other, but at the same time I don't consider myself a fence sitter. i guess I'm as bemused as anyone by the "deep rifts." An open discussion would probably benefit partially confused people like me more than any others.

Full disclosure: I've read here for a couple months. I did post once under the name "Mangynicus," which I thought was amusing at the time. I think I was drunk. If someone wants to delete that account, I wouldn't mind.
Welcome! Actually, the folks here run the gambit in terms of our personal political/ideological beliefs. Where we largely agree is that the whole "Call-out culture"/insider-outsider dichotomy is dangerous, non-productive and ultimately something that should be avoided as much as possible.

And your quote there about the left and the right meeting in the back, is something that my wife frequently say, and it's entirely true. Although to be honest, I don't think that the SJW movement as a whole is actually very leftist. They have more in common with centrists, as they often use gender "issues" to overwrite much more pressing concerns of class and access to resources.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Karmakin wrote: Never heard of him, to be honest.
Mike the Mad Biologist is here: http://mikethemadbiologist.com/
Karmakin wrote: Speaking as a progressive, a good example of someone on my "side" that even if he's right I suspect that it's more by accident than anything else, is Glenn Greenwald. (I have doubts that he's actually on my side but that's neither here nor there). It's all about being an ideologue. Sound familiar? And I don't mean that as an accusation at you Andrew, I don't think you're one, nor have I seen any reason to think that you're one.

And I'm going to throw in another monkey wrench. Ideologues are not at the far left or the far right. Another example of an ideologue who I simply am not going to trust, is Thomas Friedman, from the New York Times, and he's firmly a centrist. Actually, I'll be honest. I can name off a ton of centrist ideologues, and they tend to piss me off more than the ones from the far left and the far right. I think they're just as extreme, to be honest.

For what it's worth I think that the SJW movement is actually closest to the centrist ideologues. The focus on their own comfort over everything else, the faux-moralism, the raging hypocrisy and so on.
Well, I have to admit that it escaped my attention that Glenn Greenwald could be considered an ideologue seeing as whenever I read something of his, I am more likely than not to agree with him. For example here:

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/chomsky_on_obama/

However, I do not read everything he writes, so if you can think of something to support this view I would not mind looking at it.

I can not recall reading Thomas Friedman but that is not surprising seeing as I hardly read the NYT.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

acathode wrote:
Aneris wrote:On this Good Friday, Reverend Myers spoke about how Christians FTB are harassed off the internet and that the same fate would now come to another site, as they also confessed the one true story. The flock horde shows compassion and urge to stick together against the forces of evil.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments
Crap, I feel my brain slightly melting from just reading the comment section...
This post is apparently mainsplaining. (from the scientopia blog):
Shridhar Jayanthi wrote:I'm assuming you're not familiar with this: http://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/
Chris Clarke clarifies:
Chris Clarke wrote:Amanda Blum is not a mansplainer. She merely missed the point catastrophically.
Being a man citing Amanda Blum as though she speaks for all women in tech so therefore you win? Mansplaining.
Take note! Amanda Blum has the wrong opinion and does not speak for all women. Quoting her is mansplaining. McEwan and the FTB women et all, however, speak on the behalf of all women, because they are right. A man quoting them is not mansplaining. Simple.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Apples,

I did not address everything you had to say, so this is a followup:

Apples wrote: Amusing that anyone would think I was actually "shocked" by what Andrew posted from Vox Day and Sailer, or -- even more laughable -- that I am an "extreme liberal" (not that there would be anything wrong with that -- some of my closest friends are extreme liberals). I was actually quite serious when I suggested he tell us more about his admiration for Vox Day, and I'd be even more entertained by a Slymepit debate about "race realism."
While I do occasionally like what Vox has to say, I consider him to be pretty ignorant about subjects I am interested in or take as a given, for example genetics and evolution so my answer is no, just because I will quote him from time to time does not mean that I "admire" him. As someone inferred, you may as well assume that I am an evangelical christian if you go down that path.

Finally, no offence meant Apples but do you really think we could have a productive discussion on "race realism" here?

I have yet to see any discussion on the subject not go rapidly downhill in no time at all. It seems to be a very emotional subject and I would be very pessimistic about the outcome. So much so I would actively discourage it.

No offense meant of course.

Apples

Post by Apples »

AndrewV69 wrote:I have yet to see any discussion on the subject not go rapidly downhill in no time at all. It seems to be a very emotional subject and I would be very pessimistic about the outcome. So much so I would actively discourage it.
Right. So race realism is out. It would probably be as unproductive as a debate about whether women's suffrage should be repealed, which is why I'll refrain from posting an excerpt from Vox's interesting piece today at Alpha Game Plan.

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Also, some of us men who attend tech conferences have pretty much always been somewhat offended by the (ironically) sexist notion that you can con us into buying whatever shitty product your hawking by waving some tits in our faces.

The people in the auto industry, on the other hand, just don't give a shit. They're already selling a fantasy, might as well toss some poon in to sweeten the deal.
Can I just point out to any hawkers of wares that Mr. Drunk is speaking in a personal capacity and I for one will definitely consider purchasing your finely crafted merchandise if you wave some tits in my face (only consider mind you).

Thank you.

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

Haven's seen this posted yet. Funny as hell.

Dramatic Reading: Adria Richards' Donglegate Blog Post
[youtube]dnH3CW9x_lc[/youtube]

Mzone

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

[youtube]iUxcLxClQ08[/youtube]

Stumbled across this, pretty funny!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

(Woohoo it worked! Thanks for the tutorials Scented, and thanks Mr Preview button)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

EllenBeth has just resigned from her presidency of the Florida Humanists: https://twitter.com/EllenBethWachs/stat ... 6810451968

Discussing it with Poltroolon (who, as you can see from the subsequent tweets, embarrasses himself yet again by getting the wrong end of the stick as regards her reasons for resigning) , she gives some hint that online events (recent or otherwise) have played a part in her decision:
EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs 58m

@ool0n I'm wishing I never got involved with the movement. I'd be happier, wealthier and still have a good reputation.
EllenBeth Wachs ‏@EllenBethWachs 54m

@ool0n Online spills into real life and IRL bleeds online. Everything has cause and effect.
Janine the Hallucinating Thickoid (Janphar), seeing how Ellenbeth's decision has clearly been affected (in part, at least) by recent events at Pharyngula, tries to save face by, er, derailing on to the subject of the Slymepit. Ellenbeth makes it clear that the house of Janine and pals isn't exactly free of shit itself:

http://i.imgur.com/6sjlHlR.png

Too late, Janine. Pharyngula's culpability in this can't be denied. You'd probably call it harassment if it hadn't been you and your buddies doing it. :lol:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

All these pictures of cats is disturbing Arnie.

Here's a picture of a funny dog.

http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ng-dog.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote: I was actually just rattling your cage because you seem to be a Vox Day and Steve Sailer fan and I was hoping to spark some fireworks by getting you to defend them. My question for you would be -- what do you think either of them gets wrong (if anything)? No need to answer if you don't feel like it.
Ah no, I am not exactly a "fan" of either of those two, but when you are right you are right, and when you are wrong you are wrong. As I have mentioned before I like to read a variety of viewpoints that differ from mine and evaluate them on the strength and quality of the argument itself.

I find the Sailer take to be genuinly interesting on a lot of things. For example his take on the "Black a Block" system
http://isteve.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-o ... em-in.html
Liberal white hypocrisy is a given. But, the techniques liberal whites (Oak Park voted for Obama 83-16) use to get what they want are well worth study by the less privileged.
I once insulted Vox by telling him he was arguing like PeeZuss Christ. Then I subsequently retracted it with an apology that I had come to realize that he was genuinely ignorant about what he was arguing.

I do not think that actually qualifies as the behaviour of a "fan" of his.

YMMV

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Stop the presses! Bill O'Reilly said something reasonable:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 ... ostpopular

Apples

Post by Apples »

Tigzy wrote:Janine the Hallucinating Thickoid (Janphar), seeing how Ellenbeth's decision has clearly been affected (in part, at least) by recent events at Pharyngula, tries to save face by, er, derailing on to the subject of the Slymepit. Ellenbeth makes it clear that the house of Janine and pals isn't exactly free of shit itself
Interesting stuff. Janine the Hallucinating Liar lives up to her name, as usual.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Apples wrote:Impressed by Ophie's consistent habit of dramatically characterizing every bit of resistance to her blather as hostility and overreaction. Mykeru's voice "quivers with rage," Sara Mayhew is "furious," Melissa McEwan is giving her the "full rage treatment."

She just posted a link to her latest on Shermer from Critical Inquiry - you may recall she already tongue-clucked about a single negative reaction on twitter and tied herself in knots trying to deflect the point that she's strawmanning Shermer as someone who thinks of himself as above criticism.

Ophie's descriptions of Shermer and his essay from her piece: "very indignant," "heated," "prickly," "angry bluster," "so angry," "furious," "an explosion of outraged vanity."

I found it interesting to reread his piece in light of her caricature of it.

Shermer's original piece: http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... ermer_33_2

Ophie's latest: http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... enson_33_3
Why if I didn't know better I'd say she was tone trolling :think:
Aww, why aren't comments allowed?

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tigzy wrote:EllenBeth has just resigned from her presidency of the Florida Humanists: https://twitter.com/EllenBethWachs/stat ... 6810451968

Discussing it with Poltroolon (who, as you can see from the subsequent tweets, embarrasses himself yet again by getting the wrong end of the stick as regards her reasons for resigning) , she gives some hint that online events (recent or otherwise) have played a part in her decision:

@ool0n I'm wishing I never got involved with the movement. I'd be happier, wealthier and still have a good reputation.

@ool0n Online spills into real life and IRL bleeds online. Everything has cause and effect.
Janine the Hallucinating Thickoid (Janphar), seeing how Ellenbeth's decision has clearly been affected (in part, at least) by recent events at Pharyngula, tries to save face by, er, derailing on to the subject of the Slymepit. Ellenbeth makes it clear that the house of Janine and pals isn't exactly free of shit itself:

Too late, Janine. Pharyngula's culpability in this can't be denied. You'd probably call it harassment if it hadn't been you and your buddies doing it. :lol:
That makes 2 secular organizations she's resigned from. Or did she get booted from the last one? Wasn't there some kind of kerfuffle between her and the board of Atheists of Florida?

welch

Post by welch »

I find it sad that they are more concerned with blaming us than caring about EBW

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:I find it sad that they are more concerned with blaming us than caring about EBW
Gotta keep up that victim narrative...even if it means victimizing their own.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I have yet to see any discussion on the subject not go rapidly downhill in no time at all. It seems to be a very emotional subject and I would be very pessimistic about the outcome. So much so I would actively discourage it.
Right. So race realism is out. It would probably be as unproductive as a debate about whether women's suffrage should be repealed, which is why I'll refrain from posting an excerpt from Vox's interesting piece today at Alpha Game Plan.
Oh I would not expect it to happen any time soon. Not in my lifetime anyway. I expect it will happen in around 80 years though if things continue to unfold they way they have been so far.

In any event my take is whatever you subsidise, you will get more of. And human nature being what it is, if you provide the right incentives, people will do it.

But I could be wrong too, both about root causes and the outcomes when I can think of two countries right off the bat (Japan and Jamaica) where to the best of my knowledge, Feminism has had no appreciable effect on their current outcomes, being as far as I can see practically nonexistent there.

I think we are seeing the effects of something far more fundamental than an ideology. The question is what? I can not even pretend to know the answer other than what I indicated above as regards to incentives and subsidies, and my somewhat nebulous impressions about human nature.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:I find it sad that they are more concerned with blaming us than caring about EBW

Yup. EBW is regularly a prickly pain in the ass, but from her supposed allies, she'd earned better

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

Yup. EBW is regularly a prickly pain in the ass, but from her supposed allies, she'd earned better
What? I was 'friends' with PZ for ages, and he had no problem throwing me under the bus when I mildly chastised Watson (why? have to ask his psychiatrist). They dont have friends. They have tools. You throw away a tool when it 'breaks'. EBW 'broke' so she got tossed, like everyone else who confused our relationship as their 'friends'.

Apples

Post by Apples »

AndrewV69 wrote:I expect it will happen in around 80 years though if things continue to unfold they way they have been so far.
Interesting - so what do you see as the order of events/causation (assuming that things continue to unfold as they are)?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy wrote:EllenBeth has just resigned from her presidency of the Florida Humanists: https://twitter.com/EllenBethWachs/stat ... 6810451968

I fail to see "many" waving it around like a "trophy on a stick". My impression is that "some" might be construed as doing so, but not enough to make it "many".

Or did I get it wrong?

In any event while I do see to recall her being mocked from time to time, I certainly can not recall any SP here attacking her with the unabashed vitriol, not to mention the enthusiastic viciousness unleashed on her by the baboons.

I do not think EBW was unreasonable in having an expectation that the baboons should at a minimum, been charitable in disagreeing with her. It had to have been a disorienting experience.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Newest brain drain article from Jezebel:

http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-t ... g-prophecy

If I Admit That ‘Hating Men’ Is a Thing, Will You Stop Turning It Into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

...if only the author changed some things around and was skeptical of patriarchy - here is a rewrite:
Okay, so maybe you are a woman. Maybe you haven't had the easiest ride in life—maybe you grew up in poverty; you've experienced death, neglect, and despair; you hate your job, your car, your body. Maybe somebody (or multiple somebodies) pulverized your heart, or maybe you've never even been loved enough to know what a broken heart feels like. Maybe shit started out unfair and became irreparable and you never deserved any of this. Maybe everything looks fine on paper, but you're just unhappy and you don't know why. These are human problems and other human beings feel for you very deeply. It is hard to be a human. I am so sorry.
However.

Though it is a seductive scapegoat (I understand why it attracts you), none of these terrible, painful problems in your life were caused by the spectre of "patriarchy." You can rest easy about that, I promise! In fact, the most powerful proponent of misogyny in modern internet discourse is you — specifically, your dogged insistence that patriarchy is a genuine, systemic, oppressive force. This is specious, it hurts men, and it is hurting you. Most men don't hate women, as a group, but — congratulations! — we are starting to hate you. You, the person. Your obsession with patriarchy has turned misogyny into a self-fulfilling prophecy. (I mean, sort of. Hating individual women is not the same as hating all women. But more on that in a minute.) Are you happy now? Is this what you wanted?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Now, I gotta go punish my carcass to get rid of this hangover. :confusion-seeingstars:
Hair of the dog. Best remedy for hangovers.
Spare us your freaky Asian alternative remedies!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

What? I was 'friends' with PZ for ages, and he had no problem throwing me under the bus when I mildly chastised Watson (why? have to ask his psychiatrist). They dont have friends. They have tools. You throw away a tool when it 'breaks'. EBW 'broke' so she got tossed, like everyone else who confused our relationship as their 'friends'.

It's wrong regardless of target. You'd think that'd get that.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Hunt wrote:Actually, I think my presence as Mangynicus was so brief that nobody ever had a chance. It was just like "fu--o--" and then I was gone.

I don't think there is a fence, to be honest. I'd still be commenting like hell at Zvan's or Benson's or Myer's if I could. I can't, so here I am.
Welcome. You can always comment here. You might get robust replies or agreement but you won't get banned unless you do something illegal.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

They have some nerve, given that she resigned soon after the dog-piling and finger-pointing "witch hunt" she received at Pharyngula.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Not sure how many folks have followed the "harassment" kerfuffle this week. As we all know, Svan and Benson have been trying, through sheer repetition, to cement the meme that they are victims of "harassment" by their critics.

Vjack (whom I don't normally read) put up a post at Atheist Revolution about how "harassment" is defined. It's not perfect, perhaps not what I would have written, but it's not bad:

http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/03/under ... sment.html

Needless to say, when Ophie noticed that vjack's thesis undermined her case for being a victim of "harassment" by the likes of *ahem* the Slymepit, her panties became uncomfortably bunched:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/

She then had someone named Tom Foss write a guest post about it:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /#comments

Meanwhile, Atheist Alliance International tweeted a link to vjack's article, which pissed off the FTB thought traffic controllers, and AAI proceeded to delete the tweet and apologize for it, as documented in a bunch of twitter chatter that Stephanie Zvan featured yesterday:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -pressure/

And here are vjack's followups:

http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/03/my-re ... iance.html

http://www.atheistrev.com/2013/03/athei ... ional.html

I'll just quote part of one of Tom Foss's comments over at Ophelia's. I think the "quality" of the reasoning is self-evident:
Tom Foss wrote:The civil harassment guidelines are more relevant, not just because they are more uniform and clearly-outlined than the state-by-state hodgepodge of cyberharassment guidelines, not just because blogging, being a source of income for most of the targets, forms an online workplace, but also because the primary complaint of the harassed (besides the general annoyance) has been the creation and reinforcement of a chilly climate in the atheist community–you know, a hostile environment. It’s true that the workplace analogy is just that–analogous–but when we’re talking about harassers creating and contributing to a generally unwelcome atmosphere for certain people, hostile environment harassment is clearly and obviously the most relevant topic.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-512540

Apologies for the lack of freezepages - would have exceeded my daily quota with the links in this one post.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I liken feminism to the US military. It accomplished great things in the 40s, but nowadays you just wish it would go away.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Wow she really took it badly. Shame. I hate online issues spilling into RL issues. She was one of the few with a sense of humour and that's a very rare commodity these days. Hopefully she will get to do what she wants to do now.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

EBW, had a "sense of humour"? WTF?!?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:Stop the presses! Bill O'Reilly said something reasonable:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 ... ostpopular
I've often thought O'Reilly just plays to the camera. His actual beliefs are far more tolerant than they appear.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Steersman takes Aratina to the woodshed in this comment at Nugent's:

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/26 ... ent-209002

Incidentally, the Sewer Rat admitted yesterday at Nugent's that he doesn't identify as a skeptic and said on Twitter that he "doesn't think doxxing is a big deal."

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I expect it will happen in around 80 years though if things continue to unfold they way they have been so far.
Interesting - so what do you see as the order of events/causation (assuming that things continue to unfold as they are)?
Well, I would advise you to take this with a grain of salt simply by virtue of my being wrong in my expectation before. For example:

- No outright revolt in Spain apart from periodic demonstrations over their family law reform act in 2004 which has to day seen approximately 130,000 men imprisoned for at least 24 hours per year and is still ongoing. So that amounts to over a million men imprisoned so far just on the say so of a woman to date in Spain.

- No further significant ideologically motivated massacres in the Western countries after the 9/11 in the USA and the 7/7 incident in the UK. The Anders Breviek business in Norway, was not only a surprise, but small in scale relative as to what I am expecting to eventually happen despite the efforts of the DHS to prevent it.

So, while I do expect that eventually women will become disenfranchised in Western countries, it looks as if the current situation will have to deteriorate far more than it has now before that will happen.

In short, it looks as if nothing less than a financial crisis worse than what Greece is currently experiencing will do it. Hopefully I am wrong about all of this but I am not optimistic. People were started sounding the alarms about things like derivatives from as far back as the mid 80's.

One thing I do surmise though, some of our systems are far more resilient than you might think at first. We will see. And like I have said before. I really hope I am wrong.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

AndrewV69 wrote:

I fail to see "many" waving it around like a "trophy on a stick". My impression is that "some" might be construed as doing so, but not enough to make it "many".

Or did I get it wrong?

In any event while I do see to recall her being mocked from time to time, I certainly can not recall any SP here attacking her with the unabashed vitriol, not to mention the enthusiastic viciousness unleashed on her by the baboons.

I do not think EBW was unreasonable in having an expectation that the baboons should at a minimum, been charitable in disagreeing with her. It had to have been a disorienting experience.
She would have got a totally different reception if they had known who she was but many did not. Identity politics at it's finest. It's not what you say but who you are that matters. By the time her detractors found out it was too late.

I fully expect some blogs pointing the finger at us.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

John Greg wrote:EBW, had a "sense of humour"? WTF?!?
Yep. She occasionally did a provocative post to pull our legs and that heavy breathing thing takes humour.

Apples

Post by Apples »

AndrewV69 wrote:So, while I do expect that eventually women will become disenfranchised in Western countries, it looks as if the current situation will have to deteriorate far more than it has now before that will happen.
So the scenario you're talking about is political/economic collapse and/or a revolution by men and chill girls, and in the post-upheaval societies women will return to traditional roles? Do you think there's any way this could be achieved peacefully, or without revolution?

Apples

Post by Apples »

.... aaand John Greg makes sure the Rat is well and truly thrashed.

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/26 ... ent-209003

AndrewV69

Re:

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:Steersman takes Aratina to the woodshed in this comment at Nugent's:

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/26 ... ent-209002

Incidentally, the Sewer Rat admitted yesterday at Nugent's that he doesn't identify as a skeptic and said on Twitter that he "doesn't think doxxing is a big deal."

Well I think it was pretty clear before this that Aratina is not a skeptic. And, I dunno about you but when I see Steersman swearing I take it as a sign that he is a bit annoyed.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Jack wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

img http://i.imgur.com/6sjlHlR.png /img

Or did I get it wrong?

She would have got a totally different reception if they had known who she was but many did not. Identity politics at it's finest. It's not what you say but who you are that matters. By the time her detractors found out it was too late.

Slymepit is a propaganda meme nothing more and nothing less. A key part of any propaganda campaign is finding a common enemy, which can be manufactured out of whole cloth if need be. Instead of asking the disquieting questions of your own group/tribe/country it's easier to simply claim it was the fault of your enemy. "The Hun" "The Commies" "Iraq has WMDs".

I am not on a side. I post at the 'pit because Lsuoma allows just about any riff raff to post.

So I speak for myself and only myself. I have repeatedly said that I will not support bullying no matter the source and
I somehow suspect I am not the only one that feels that way.

Will anyone else stand with me and denounce this bullying and support EBW?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Apples

Post by Apples »

Dilurk wrote:Will anyone else stand with me and denounce this bullying and support EBW?
Can't tell if you're being serious, or somewhat ironic and just talking about the Pharyngula massacre.

Assuming you're serious (forgive me if you're not): Which "bullying" are we supposed to denounce? The reason she got attention from the 'Pit in the first place is that she went on a month-or-so long Twitter campaign smearing this place. She was the one who originally Tweeted that we were racists because I had ironically used the term "darkies" to describe the noblesse oblige approach to race relations implied in Jen McWrong's post.

Anyway, I haven't noticed anyone focusing negative attention on her since the "don't be fooled by his game when he rapes your daughter" Twitter-scuffle eventuated in John Brown's youtube apology.

I give her tons of credit for what she said in the exchange with Janphar posted above, "I am guilty. So no, I can't fault them for that." I think her Pharyngula experience genuinely opened her eyes to what we were talking about.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Dilurk wrote:
Jack wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

img http://i.imgur.com/6sjlHlR.png /img

Or did I get it wrong?

Slymepit is a propaganda meme nothing more and nothing less. A key part of any propaganda campaign is finding a common enemy, which can be manufactured out of whole cloth if need be. Instead of asking the disquieting questions of your own group/tribe/country it's easier to simply claim it was the fault of your enemy. "The Hun" "The Commies" "Iraq has WMDs".

I am not on a side. I post at the 'pit because Lsuoma allows just about any riff raff to post.

So I speak for myself and only myself. I have repeatedly said that I will not support bullying no matter the source and
I somehow suspect I am not the only one that feels that way.

Will anyone else stand with me and denounce this bullying and support EBW?
Certainly she was bullied. They do that all the time of course. What did surprise me and was quite an eye opener is how little she and I assume others know about the sort of blogs and comments we are targets of too. Any one of us would have told her what the reaction would be, it was a given.

I am not 'anti-feminist' I am anti that sort of ideology that poisons and damages everything it touches, including her. So one of the great irony's is what we are trying to achieve supports her in this by default. Not that I expect her or anyone to care about that.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

justinvacula wrote:Newest brain drain article from Jezebel:

http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-t ... g-prophecy

If I Admit That ‘Hating Men’ Is a Thing, Will You Stop Turning It Into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

...if only the author changed some things around and was skeptical of patriarchy - here is a rewrite:
same as hating all women. But more on that in a minute.) Are you happy now? Is this what you wanted?
[/quote]

You starting to sound like a MRA to me. :shock: Something you want to share with us? In any event, thanks for the link. I am going to read it now.

Wonderist

Re:

Post by Wonderist »

Apples wrote:Not sure how many folks have followed the "harassment" kerfuffle this week. As we all know, Svan and Benson have been trying, through sheer repetition, to cement the meme that they are victims of "harassment" by their critics.

Vjack (whom I don't normally read) put up a post at Atheist Revolution about how "harassment" is defined. It's not perfect, perhaps not what I would have written, but it's not bad:

Needless to say, when Ophie noticed that vjack's thesis undermined her case for being a victim of "harassment" by the likes of *ahem* the Slymepit, her panties became uncomfortably bunched:

Meanwhile, Atheist Alliance International tweeted a link to vjack's article, which pissed off the FTB thought traffic controllers, and AAI proceeded to delete the tweet and apologize for it, as documented in a bunch of twitter chatter that Stephanie Zvan featured yesterday:

I'll just quote part of one of Tom Foss's comments over at Ophelia's. I think the "quality" of the reasoning is self-evident:
Tom Foss wrote:The civil harassment guidelines are more relevant, not just because they are more uniform and clearly-outlined than the state-by-state hodgepodge of cyberharassment guidelines, not just because blogging, being a source of income for most of the targets, forms an online workplace, but also because the primary complaint of the harassed (besides the general annoyance) has been the creation and reinforcement of a chilly climate in the atheist community–you know, a hostile environment. It’s true that the workplace analogy is just that–analogous–but when we’re talking about harassers creating and contributing to a generally unwelcome atmosphere for certain people, hostile environment harassment is clearly and obviously the most relevant topic.

Apologies for the lack of freezepages - would have exceeded my daily quota with the links in this one post.
Haven't read vjack's posts, but the nail in the coffin of the harassment allegation is the concept of a public figure. Specifically, a limited public figure, of which any prominent blogger is one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure
In United States law, public figure is a term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a sample on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth).[1] The burden of proof in defamation actions is higher in the case of a public figure.

The controlling precedent in the United States was set in 1964 by the United States Supreme Court in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan. It is considered a key decision in supporting the First Amendment and freedom of the press.

A fairly high threshold of public activity is necessary to elevate people to public figure status. Typically, they must either be:

a public figure, either a public official or any other person pervasively involved in public affairs, or
a limited purpose public figure, meaning those who have "thrust themselves to the forefront of particular public controversies in order to influence the resolution of the issues involved." A "particularized determination" is required to decide whether a person is a limited purpose public figure, which can be variously interpreted.

According to attorney Aaron Larson:[2]
A person can become an "involuntary public figure" as the result of publicity, even though that person did not want or invite the public attention. For example, people accused of high profile crimes may be unable to pursue actions for defamation even after their innocence is established...

A person can also become a "limited public figure" by engaging in actions which generate publicity within a narrow area of interest. For example, [jokes about]... Terry Rakolta [an activist who spearheaded a boycott of the show Married With Children] were fair comments... within the confines of her public conduct [and] protected by Ms. Rakolta's status as a "limited public figure".

JackSkeptic

Re: Re:

Post by JackSkeptic »

Wonderist wrote:
Apples wrote:Not sure how many folks have followed the "harassment" kerfuffle this week. As we all know, Svan and Benson have been trying, through sheer repetition, to cement the meme that they are victims of "harassment" by their critics.

Haven't read vjack's posts, but the nail in the coffin of the harassment allegation is the concept of a public figure. Specifically, a limited public figure, of which any prominent blogger is one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_figure
In United States law, public figure is a term applied in the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy. A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a sample on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth).[1] The burden of proof in defamation actions is higher in the case of a public figure.

The controlling precedent in the United States was set in 1964 by the United States Supreme Court in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan. It is considered a key decision in supporting the First Amendment and freedom of the press.

A fairly high threshold of public activity is necessary to elevate people to public figure status. Typically, they must either be:

a public figure, either a public official or any other person pervasively involved in public affairs, or
a limited purpose public figure, meaning those who have "thrust themselves to the forefront of particular public controversies in order to influence the resolution of the issues involved." A "particularized determination" is required to decide whether a person is a limited purpose public figure, which can be variously interpreted.

According to attorney Aaron Larson:[2]
A person can become an "involuntary public figure" as the result of publicity, even though that person did not want or invite the public attention. For example, people accused of high profile crimes may be unable to pursue actions for defamation even after their innocence is established...

A person can also become a "limited public figure" by engaging in actions which generate publicity within a narrow area of interest. For example, [jokes about]... Terry Rakolta [an activist who spearheaded a boycott of the show Married With Children] were fair comments... within the confines of her public conduct [and] protected by Ms. Rakolta's status as a "limited public figure".
It reminds me of their 'living room' concept. They liken their online presence to being in their own living room and they can let in or throw out anyone they like. That is true, they can and that's fine. However they then reserve the right to say what they like as if they were shouting it out on a street corner or in other people's houses (such as twitter and conferences) They don't get to do that. That's why this 'leave me alone' victim narrative is so fallacious.

It's also why I do not care about A+(other than their hijacking the name) as they have little to no influence outside their private space. So to me they are an irrelevance. That's fine. FtB et al do have a big influence outside their own spaces. That is not fine until they are able to take genuine criticism and stop attacking those who's only crime is to disagree with them.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Interesting Twitter exchange in which Improbable Joe talks (mainly with Aratina, even though it's on Setar's timeline) about how betrayed he felt by the "Susan" affair at Pharyngula:

Apples

Post by Apples »

Same conversation, slight overlap - IJoe calls John Morales "the biggest troll on that site" and SGBM (who has been absent from Pharyngula lately) is discussed without being named.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Every now and then your avatar ... does something.... just out of the corner of my eye.

Dilurk

Guess Adria hasn't done her new resume yet

Post by Dilurk »

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ophie vs. Shermer: Round Eleventyumpteen

Post by John Greg »

Jeebles, the old battleaxe is still going after Shermer: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... u-mad-bro/

I also find it pretty funny that two of her latest and dearest fawning sycophantic ass lickers are Setar and Brony. Fuck, with friends like these....

Apples

Post by Apples »

Cunning Punt wrote:Every now and then your avatar ... does something.... just out of the corner of my eye.
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz35 ... _cheek.gif

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Apples wrote:Interesting Twitter exchange in which Improbable Joe talks (mainly with Aratina, even though it's on Setar's timeline) about how betrayed he felt by the "Susan" affair at Pharyngula:

Whew. Improbable Joe looks to be in a bad way. I hope he can get some help. From where I'm sitting though the reprimand he got was pretty mild compared to what some get. I guess empathy's a two way street, or is that a redundant statement?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Apples wrote:Same conversation, slight overlap - IJoe calls John Morales "the biggest troll on that site" and SGBM (who has been absent from Pharyngula lately) is discussed without being named.

Oh my gawd, they are such snowflakes and very clearly need serious help. For those who haven't read the incident. It was like this:

Snowflake Sue: Hi guys, I'm snowflake sue, pleeese be nice. I like you all,
Everyone: Hi Sue.
Rude Joe: I think Sue is a tad too nice, many trolls here lately.
Everyone: *Gasp*
Everyone: But Joe! How can you be so incredible mean!
Everyone: unspeakable.
Everyone: The worst. Ever.
Chris Clone: Thats soo terrible. I'm crying now.
Rude Joe: I have failed you all. I go away now for being such a disappointment. Don't cry for me, I don't deserve it.

The End. QQ.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Aneris wrote:
Apples wrote:Same conversation, slight overlap - IJoe calls John Morales "the biggest troll on that site" and SGBM (who has been absent from Pharyngula lately) is discussed without being named.

Oh my gawd, they are such snowflakes and very clearly need serious help. For those who haven't read the incident. It was like this:

Snowflake Sue: Hi guys, I'm snowflake sue, pleeese be nice. I like you all,
Everyone: Hi Sue.
Rude Joe: I think Sue is a tad too nice, many trolls here lately.
Everyone: *Gasp*
Everyone: But Joe! How can you be so incredible mean!
Everyone: unspeakable.
Everyone: The worst. Ever.
Chris Clone: Thats soo terrible. I'm crying now.
Rude Joe: I have failed you all. I go away now for being such a disappointment. Don't cry for me, I don't deserve it.

The End. QQ.
Business as usual then.