Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Aren't arguments fun? I bet they are, else we wouldn't be here. Damn, I hope this place never changes!
It does have some impressive and quite credible claims to fame ...

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Percentage wrote:Obviously I have no problem with women in atheism... but I gotta plead guilty here. I am interested in making this movement as hostile as possible to Melissa McEwan.
Seriously he is now taken to trawling the internet for women who are not happy with the atheists they met? Humans can be douches and I'm sure many have experienced sexism. How does that apply to the whole movement? How is it relevant to the skin colour or sex of the 'leaders'. He also missed:

'Not every woman raised in a religious tradition had the same experience I had. There are many different religious traditions. And not every woman who has explored movement atheism has had the same experiences I have had. There are many different ways to participate. And even the women who have had experiences similar to mine do not necessarily share my reaction to either or both.'

You guys are right, he is no Scientist. Sad.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Percentage wrote:Obviously I have no problem with women in atheism... but I gotta plead guilty here. I am interested in making this movement as hostile as possible to Melissa McEwan.
I picture Melissa McEwan and Amanda Marcotte as sort of arch-nemises (nemesi?) in fighting over who's the craziest feminist in the atheist movement.

To summarize how well it's going, Melissa McEwan is winning but Amanda Marcotte is making one hell of a rush for the finish line.

--

Oh, and CH20, you missed this:

viewtopic.php?p=75622#p75622

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

AndrewV69 wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote: It's spot the truth isn't it?

There was no hate speech. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see that.

The SPLC never did classify MRA groups (specifically the one JtO is a part of) as hate groups.
My understanding is that the SPLC did claim that MRA groups were hate groups but had to back down. John the Other responded and noted a RadFem Hub connection with the SPLC.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/fe ... wag/[quote]
Following the SPLC’s first sloppy attempt to vilify the MRM, the fastest growing human rights movement in Western culture, the eugenics and murder enthusiasts at Radfem Hub began fund-raising on behalf of the SPLC, and Artie Goldwag himself confirmed the support of the SPLC for these prospective eugenicists and killers, by tweeting a link directly to their page featuring SPLC fund raising.
Here is the SPLC take on it:
Intelligence Report Article Provokes Fury Among Men’s Rights Activists
http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2012/05/1 ... activists/
It should be mentioned that the SPLC did not label MRAs as members of a hate movement; nor did our article claim that the grievances they air on their websites – false rape accusations, ruinous divorce settlements and the like – are all without merit. But we did call out specific examples of misogyny and the threat, overt or implicit, of violence.
There were a couple more links but they 404 now. However in addition to the one above, there is still the one below where the SPLC apparently is not too keen on the MRM. Subtle clues are stating Thomas Ball was a "leader" and others may be detected where they link the MRM to George Sodini, Scott Dekraii, Darren Mack and Marc Lépine.

Leader’s Suicide Brings Attention to Men’s Rights Movement
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/i ... r-on-women

Manboobz take:
http://manboobz.com/2012/05/16/the-splc ... nt-page-1/[/quote]

Thank you.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Aren't arguments fun? I bet they are, else we wouldn't be here. Damn, I hope this place never changes!
I'm not getting my usual buzz from annoying Theists and the like. I'm experiencing withdrawals.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git, you don't have to get in such a rot everytime someone says something bad about Israel, Americans and how Palestinians aren't all of them bad and horrible. And now this thing about oil, and the war in Iraq was righteous? You're a hard guy to figure out, Git.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Jack wrote:
I'm not getting my usual buzz from annoying Theists and the like. I'm experiencing withdrawals.
Just piss off Steers, then. That should do it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:
JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:
We, (the US), don't give a squirt of piss about poor oppressed brown, yellow, or black people. We invaded afghanistan because of Bin Laden, and Iraq because of oil. The Kurds were naught but a minor PR bullet point in all that designed to sucker the people who think there's some kind of fucking idealism at work here. There isn't. Why did we give a fuck about Kuwait? Oil, and more oil.

Seriously, we let Cuba oppress the shit out of their people NINETY MILES AWAY. But there is nothing there in terms of resources we care about so fuck Cuba and the Cubans.

It's about resources.
Right, totally not a result of neo-liberalist interventionist policy. How many barrels of crude have been exported from Kosovo so far?
Was that supposed to rebut the quote? Because I thought Kosovo was full of white people. I think the US only got in to the extent they did because the others in NATO did anyway. I know they mostly rule nato, but ocassionally you have to go along, especially when you don't have to commit ground troops.
It rebuts the quote, dipshit, because it shows an example of a war without a resource goal.
But the quote, asshole, only says the US needs a resource interest to fight for nonwhites, because it doesn't care about oppressed nonwhites. The implication, I would have thought from that quote, was that the US would care about oppressed white people, like one might find in Kosovo.
Right, when they commit troops to former yugoslavia its because they're white. Why they'd care about that is never actually explained, but lets go on the assumption that the US congress is made up of KKK members.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:Yeah, putting "YMMV" after every-fucking-thing you say doesn't work as a get out clause.
As I am not actually in the loop for these things, I can only extrapolate based on previous and very limited experience in trying unsuccessfully to acquire sources for sugar and rum for some Chinese acquaintances.

Look, think of all of this as a game of thrones where various entities are competing for resources, and an easy way to start is this:

1. Get an atlas out.

2. Read this : The National Bureau of Asian Research NBR special report #23 September 2010
Central Asia’s Pipelines: Field of Dreams and Reality
http://csis.org/files/publication/1009_ ... alAsia.pdf

3) After that, go to the NBR site and see what else they have to offer. http://www.nbr.org/

Make up your mind on what is what. Do not take my word for it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Sorry, not a big fan of Serbs, gonna pass on that one...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Jack wrote:
Remember seeing a cartoon of a couple of medieval soldiers on the battlements above the castle gate who had just poured some boiling oil over the edge, and one of them turns to the other and says, “Those JWs sure liven up a dull Sunday, don’t they?”

cunt

Post by cunt »

Look, think of all of this as a game of thrones where various entities are competing for resources, and an easy way to start is this:
No, treating actual world diplomacy and affairs as if they were as simplistic as a fantasy narrative seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

I picture Melissa McEwan and Amanda Marcotte as sort of arch-nemises (nemesi?) in fighting over who's the craziest feminist in the atheist movement.
Haha. I'll say that McEwan provides more comedy, because she yearns and hopes and talks about a better tomorrow. Her writing style is equal parts New Age, confessional, and self-help. Marcotte isn't like that- she's a crunchy current-events blogger with a more tangible political axe to grind. I guess I prefer Marcotte, if only because I can't stand The Secret.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Jack wrote:
Remember seeing a cartoon of a couple of medieval soldiers on the battlements above the castle gate who had just poured some boiling oil over the edge, and one of them turns to the other and says, “Those JWs sure liven up a dull Sunday, don’t they?”
Private Eye?

Git

Post by Git »

Pitchguest wrote:Git, you don't have to get in such a rot everytime someone says something bad about Israel, Americans and how Palestinians aren't all of them bad and horrible.
Yes I bloody well do. Because otherwise this sort of shit, straight of the Protocols of fucking Zion is happening:

Lord Ahmed, a Labour life peer, is alleged to have told a TV station in Pakistan that he was imprisoned in 2009 because of pressure on the courts from Jews “who own newspapers and TV channels"

Is Israel perfect? Not in the slightest. But lets face facts here: vast numbers of people (nowadays mainly on the left, infected by the left's love-in with Islam) just simply hate Jews and use their own anti-Semitism to hold Israel to standards that they would never hold any other country to, and the hostility (to the point that the Blood Libel, the fucking Blood Libel! is now brought up frequently by left-wing politicians all over Europe) is such that Jews are fleeing Europe in record numbers:

"Antisemitism is no longer just, simply, and on its own, to be condemned, exposed, explained and opposed. Now we have to ask whether the Jew crying antisemitism was wearing a short skirt at the time, or had had a drink, or had been nagging the antisemite. What did the Jews do to deserve this antisemitic treatment?"
Pitchguest wrote:And now this thing about oil, and the war in Iraq was righteous? You're a hard guy to figure out, Git.
You see, I'm of the view that genocidal fascist dictators are a bad thing. Getting rid of Saddam was (along with Kosovo) pretty much the only thing that Blair ever did that I ever agreed with. And like Hitch, I still agree with it to this day. Fervently so.

And yes, I am a fucking hard person to figure out. I'm bloody proud of that. I refuse to join any political party that would have me as a member, and I have voted for just about every mainstream political party in existence (never for the Greens/BNP/DUP/SF though). But the one thing I despise is collectivism and its twin, authoritarianism.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Critical update: 12 year old Jura, sublime.

Marcotte, is a poster child for the problem that exist within the current debacle. Marcotte is not a skeptic first, nor is she an atheist first, she is a feminist first attempting to reroute the atheist movement in order to have it serve her mutated feminist political cause. The same can be said of watson, and the rest of the band of SJW.

People like Nugent, (who i earlier saw Jack refer to as having experience in conflict resolution?!?!) are a problem in that they share their politics, and so are blase when the mutated feminist agenda attempts to swallow the atheist agenda.

There is a very simple message for those people. If Feminism/marxism/facism/etc etc is your bag, then do yourself and atheism a service fuck off and get involved in the right movement. You wouldn't think it proper for a group of MRA's hijacking Atheist platforms to continually pontificate about how we should all be focused on men's issues, about the abuse they recieve from atheists because they dare to suggest that atheism has got it wrong, and the real fight to be had is men's rights.

There should be no problem for people who are feminists, who are MRA's, who are right wing, left wing etc etc being involved in the atheist movement, the problem comes when they don't want to "do atheism" in the atheist movement.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Sadly I think the Richard Dawkins hate is because RW says RD is evil and no one thinks for themselves. I also note the propaganda campaign in full force. Sheep.

Git

Post by Git »

Percentage wrote:
Haha. I'll say that McEwan provides more comedy, because she yearns and hopes and talks about a better tomorrow. Her writing style is equal parts New Age, confessional, and self-help. Marcotte isn't like that- she's a crunchy current-events blogger with a more tangible political axe to grind. I guess I prefer Marcotte, if only because I can't stand The Secret.
Who the fuck is Melissa McEwan, apart from some minor C-list blogger?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

CommanderTuvok wrote:George Galloway is a complete arsehole.

He "pretends" to be a supporter of human rights, esp. women's rights and gay rights, but all that goes out of the window when it comes to defending religious privilege - especially Islamic religious privilege. He goes very quiet when the subject turns to the treatment of gay people in one of his anti-West utopian fanboy regimes, such as Iran. He often attacks opponents who write for Murdoch newspapers, but has his own programme on Press TV!

He is a typical Far Left egomaniac who will support anything as long as it expresses a dislike of Israel, America, "The West", or Capitalism. Also, there is good evidence to suggest he has converted to Islam, but he seems too cowardly to admit it in public. I could respect his privacy on his religious views, however, when he was elected an MP recently, he did all the "Allah knows if you're a Muslim" nonsense in a bid to appeal to base religious emotions. Therefore, his religious views should be scrutinised.
I'm pretty sure he let out that "good evidence" intentionally because he thought it would help him win a byelection. I doubt he has in fact converted.
Git wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:He is a typical Far Left egomaniac who will support anything as long as it expresses a dislike of Israel, America, "The West", or Capitalism. Also, there is good evidence to suggest he has converted to Islam, but he seems too cowardly to admit it in public. I could respect his privacy on his religious views, however, when he was elected an MP recently, he did all the "Allah knows if you're a Muslim" nonsense in a bid to appeal to base religious emotions. Therefore, his religious views should be scrutinised.
He'd fit right in at A+ and FreeFromThoughtBlogs then.
You must not have seen what he said regarding Julian Assange.

Git

Post by Git »

Oh, and I hate isolationism, Pitchguest. The same isolationism that led to thousands of Bosnians getting massacred by Serbs whilst diplomats grew fat on their fois-gras and cunts like Hurd the Turd stopped Bosnians defending themselves in order to enforce "a level killing field". I grew up with the imagery of the Berlin Wall falling (and as an aside, to this day, more walls are being built in that sectarian shithole I sadly call my homeland). The US and British Armies who overthrew Saddam should have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:Sadly I think the Richard Dawkins hate is because RW says RD is evil and no one thinks for themselves. I also note the propaganda campaign in full force. Sheep.
Linky, s'il vous plait ...

Git

Post by Git »

AbsurdWalls wrote:You must not have seen what he said regarding Julian Assange.
Oh bloody hell, don't get me started on him, I'm liable to go up to 11.

Anyway, SWP = Sex-Without-Permission.

Git

Post by Git »

Anyway, its time for some late night Brie. ASDA were selling off blocks of it for 39p, and it needs to be eaten. Else it will mutate and turn into...something or other.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Private Eye?
??? The source, the magazine? If that's the case then if I'm not mistaken, it was in a Playboy some 30 years ago - when I was "knee-high to a grasshopper", of course.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Steersman wrote:
Private Eye?
??? The source, the magazine? If that's the case then if I'm not mistaken, it was in a Playboy some 30 years ago - when I was "knee-high to a grasshopper", of course.
I guess it's been re-done as a joke several times then. Also: you are a rapist (see bolded). Please report to your nearest pair of scissors and commence demasculation protocol.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Git wrote:Anyway, its time for some late night Brie. ASDA were selling off blocks of it for 39p, and it needs to be eaten. Else it will mutate and turn into...something or other.
Leave it, it might turn into something humans (as opposed to The French) would want to eat.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Git, you don't have to get in such a rot everytime someone says something bad about Israel, Americans and how Palestinians aren't all of them bad and horrible.
Yes I bloody well do. Because otherwise this sort of shit, straight of the Protocols of fucking Zion is happening:

Lord Ahmed, a Labour life peer, is alleged to have told a TV station in Pakistan that he was imprisoned in 2009 because of pressure on the courts from Jews “who own newspapers and TV channels"

Is Israel perfect? Not in the slightest. But lets face facts here: vast numbers of people (nowadays mainly on the left, infected by the left's love-in with Islam) just simply hate Jews and use their own anti-Semitism to hold Israel to standards that they would never hold any other country to, and the hostility (to the point that the Blood Libel, the fucking Blood Libel! is now brought up frequently by left-wing politicians all over Europe) is such that Jews are fleeing Europe in record numbers:

"Antisemitism is no longer just, simply, and on its own, to be condemned, exposed, explained and opposed. Now we have to ask whether the Jew crying antisemitism was wearing a short skirt at the time, or had had a drink, or had been nagging the antisemite. What did the Jews do to deserve this antisemitic treatment?"
"Protocols of Zion"... Wow. Nope. Not even going to touch that one.
Pitchguest wrote:
Git wrote:And now this thing about oil, and the war in Iraq was righteous? You're a hard guy to figure out, Git.
You see, I'm of the view that genocidal fascist dictators are a bad thing. Getting rid of Saddam was (along with Kosovo) pretty much the only thing that Blair ever did that I ever agreed with. And like Hitch, I still agree with it to this day. Fervently so.

And yes, I am a fucking hard person to figure out. I'm bloody proud of that. I refuse to join any political party that would have me as a member, and I have voted for just about every mainstream political party in existence (never for the Greens/BNP/DUP/SF though). But the one thing I despise is collectivism and its twin, authoritarianism.
You despise collectivism, but accuse everyone who badmouthes Israel as an anti-semite. Hmm. Anyway. About the oil, yes, they got Saddam Hussein out of office. Hurray! But that wasn't the reason why they invaded, was it? That's really one of the questions that Hitchens sort of scarpered at, when asked about the purpose of the war. It wasn't to joust Saddam from power, or bin Laden (because they had information he was in Afghanistan several months before)... so what do we have left? Oil. Saddam's removal was an unintended consequence. Bush himself even said that he wasn't even looking for bin Laden anymore (which considering he had been holed up in his home the entire time, it's most likely true).

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Pitchguest wrote:Git, you don't have to get in such a rot everytime someone says something bad about Israel, Americans and how Palestinians aren't all of them bad and horrible. And now this thing about oil, and the war in Iraq was righteous? You're a hard guy to figure out, Git.
Are you telling him to git the fuck out of it?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git wrote:
Percentage wrote:
She's the luminary who wrote this little morsel:

http://www.shakesville.com/2009/10/rape ... e-101.html

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: ??? The source, the magazine? If that's the case then if I'm not mistaken, it was in a Playboy some 30 years ago - when I was "knee-high to a grasshopper", of course.
You're not seriously saying you're under forty, are you Steers?? :o

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Steersman wrote:
Private Eye?
I guess it's been re-done as a joke several times then. Also: you are a rapist (see bolded). Please report to your nearest pair of scissors and commence demasculation protocol.
“But Madame Justice! It was only for the articles!”

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: ??? The source, the magazine? If that's the case then if I'm not mistaken, it was in a Playboy some 30 years ago - when I was "knee-high to a grasshopper", of course.
Having bought a couple of bridges recently from MKG – in his view, apparently – I’m happy to part with one or two – for small nominal charges – if you’re in the market …. :-)

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Revolting! The Skepchicks are revolting!

Becky Whatnot has just published the latest "Bad Chart Thursday" post. It's March 14th, and this is the first update since February 22nd.

She's made a hilarious joke of showing the frequencies of each digit within the first 1,000 digits of Pi, presented as a pie chart (lol). My first criticism would be that, given the second result for "Pi" in my search engine is called "Pi to 1,000,000 places", and that we know Pi to a *ridiculous* number of places, AND given that working out the frequencies is trivial once you have the digits themselves (which are easy to obtain in text format), 1,000 is a pathetically small number to work with. But then, that probably sums up the Skepchicks perfectly: non-scientists operating under the motto: "aim low, and you can never underachieve".

Anyway, the first two commenters, hilariously, have this to say:
Jack Leonard / March 14, 2013, 7:03 pm Log in to Reply

I fail to see what is bad about this chart.
willradik / March 14, 2013, 7:04 pm Log in to Reply

But… But this is a GOOD chart! Where is the bad chart?
Fucking hell, Becky is such a dumb cunt. And this is who has a burgeoning career in the scientifically minded atheist movement.

Shaking my fuckdam head.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ooh, Queen Bee has just responded:
Rebecca Watson / March 14, 2013, 7:41 pm Log in to Reply

But it’s 3D! Everyone hates 3D charts!

Git

Post by Git »

Pitchguest wrote: You despise collectivism, but accuse everyone who badmouthes Israel as an anti-semite. Hmm.
No, I don't actually. If you make the same or similar criticisms of Israel that you make of any other nation state, then we may disagree, but that's categorically not anti-Semitism.
Pitchguest wrote: Anyway. About the oil, yes, they got Saddam Hussein out of office. Hurray! But that wasn't the reason why they invaded, was it? That's really one of the questions that Hitchens sort of scarpered at, when asked about the purpose of the war. It wasn't to joust Saddam from power, or bin Laden (because they had information he was in Afghanistan several months before)... so what do we have left? Oil. Saddam's removal was an unintended consequence. Bush himself even said that he wasn't even looking for bin Laden anymore (which considering he had been holed up in his home the entire time, it's most likely true).
International Politics being what it is, I didn't really care that they said they'd invaded Iraq for whatever reason and it subsequently turned out to be false or whatever. That they got rid of Saddam was good enough for me. Never look a gift-horse in the mouth and all that. Perfect is not the enemy of good

Where Oil comes into it, apart from being the lifeblood of what we're typing on at the minute, is that its clear that Russia, China and France wanted to keep Saddam in power specifically for the oil (and that they were also the ones selling weapons to Saddam).

Perhaps it might have been better if the Nelson Mandela International Peace Brigades were the ones to topple Saddam, but they weren't available, and the US/British Armies were. Perfect is not the enemy of good, again.

It boils down to this: someone up-thread mentioned the drive for ideological purity that the extremes of both left and right demand. I reject this. If Nick Griffin says breathing oxygen is good, I'm not going to suffocate myself even if he is a racist fuckwit. Its like with the godfather of the modern Green Movement - George Monbiot. Whilst I despise like 95% of what he says, when he talks about how we need massive adoption of Nuclear Power to combat AGW, this is where I can agree with him.

When Peezus happily goes after a creationist, I can sit and applaud him, even though I think he's a fucking small-minded fool otherwise.

Again, we have got to get over this concept of Perfect being the Enemy of Good, which incidentally infects SJW thinking for example also.

Git

Post by Git »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bEGvu4VNi6Y/S ... kin+qc.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Ooh, Queen Bee has just replied:
Rebecca Watson / March 14, 2013, 7:41 pm Log in to Reply

But it’s 3D! Everyone hates 3D charts!
Yes, Becky, well done. Because the point of this feature should be commenting on the fucking design specifics of a chart, rather than its scientific merit or even how easy it is to understand.

ALSO: CHECK THIS OUT!!

Her original feature was called "The Inaugural Bad Graph Thursday!". GRAPH, not CHART.

I guess someone tipped her off that proper scientists do not equate "chart" and "graph", because it quickly mutated into the correct version.

DUMB CUNT LOL!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Steersman:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bEGvu4VNi6Y/S ... kin+qc.jpg
*busts lung* HAHAHAHA!

Fucking spot on. LOL!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Lsuoma wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Quite.
She obtained her BA @ Harvard (Laden's alma mater) in 1977, and her PhD in 1884.
What was her Major - Tardis Engineering?

Bahahaha.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Having bought a couple of bridges recently from MKG – in his view, apparently – I’m happy to part with one or two – for small nominal charges – if you’re in the market …. :-)
Seriously, are you under forty? Cos if you are, then I can only surmise that you've got some weird progeria of the rhetoric.

Still, reading a shitload of Russian novels is enough to make anyone age prematurely, I reckon.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

He needs to be careful, or the FfTB crew will accuse him of being dirty and smelly and ugh! Cooties!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

codelette wrote:lol. Yep, your self-importance is apparent, McB (it came out strong specially after the Harvard rejection).
http://i.imgur.com/81baMKL.png
What I love is that we're supposedly an organised group of harassers, but each time I see them getting 'harassed', it's new people. Kudos to intelligence in this world!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Seriously, are you under forty? Cos if you are, then I can only surmise that you've got some weird progeria of the rhetoric.

Still, reading a shitload of Russian novels is enough to make anyone age prematurely, I reckon.
No, I’m well over that – unfortunately or not.

And I was sort of jesting as well about the Russian novels, although I’ve read a bunch of short stories by, I think, Chekov quite some time ago. And there was a very oblique reference in there to someone’s observation that, I think, the national debt had more commas than a Russian novel ….

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Tigzy wrote:Still, reading a shitload of Russian novels is enough to make anyone age prematurely, I reckon.
Is Ophie a proof-reader for a Russian publishing house?

:D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: No, I’m well over that – unfortunately or not.

And I was sort of jesting as well about the Russian novels, although I’ve read a bunch of short stories by, I think, Chekov quite some time ago. And there was a very oblique reference in there to someone’s observation that, I think, the national debt had more commas than a Russian novel ….
Phew - glad to hear it. For a moment there, reality seemed such a strange and frightening place, I was about to grow my hair longish so that people would take me seriously as a genderqueer.

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

AndrewV69 wrote:
skepandsprinkles wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Anything.

A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g...except those fucking earlobe expanders.
Fuck off! I love my earlobe expanders!
How big are they and how do people generally react when they notice them?
10 mm and most people who aren't my mother think they're cool

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:
No, treating actual world diplomacy and affairs as if they were as simplistic as a fantasy narrative seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do.
YMMV

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
We, (the US), don't give a squirt of piss about poor oppressed brown, yellow, or black people. We invaded afghanistan because of Bin Laden, and Iraq because of oil. The Kurds were naught but a minor PR bullet point in all that designed to sucker the people who think there's some kind of fucking idealism at work here. There isn't. Why did we give a fuck about Kuwait? Oil, and more oil.

Seriously, we let Cuba oppress the shit out of their people NINETY MILES AWAY. But there is nothing there in terms of resources we care about so fuck Cuba and the Cubans.

It's about resources.
Right, totally not a result of neo-liberalist interventionist policy. How many barrels of crude have been exported from Kosovo so far?
Kosovo's full of what? White folks. Now the fact that some of them are muslims is a bit strange for us, but in general, Kosovo is a part of the great honkey enclave. Can't have a bunch of dead-assed honkies.

Lurkion

Re: non sequitur

Post by Lurkion »

Apples wrote:PZ's current post:
Peezus wrote: 10% of you are employed in the restaurant industry?

That’s the least awful statistic I found in this article about labor policies at restaurants. My apologies if reading it triggers immense rage in any of you who have or are working as waitstaff.

I promise, I always tip 15-20%. Don’t hurt me.
Whatever, PZ. Yes, restaurant work often sucks and waiters are often working hard for little money (though, assuming decent aggregate tips, there are many comparably shitty jobs).

But 10% of people are working in the "restaurant industry?" 45 seconds of clicking reveals that that the Salon article you linked cites the National Restaurant Association for the number of workers (and their stat is uncited and does not specify what this comprises), while citing the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the pay numbers. According to the BLS, as of 2012, of ~142M employed people in the US, around ~8M worked in "food preparation and serving related" occupations (which presumably includes innumerable non table-waiting tip-supplemented jobs). So - NO - 10% of us are not employed in the restaurant industry, if you mean people who actually work in restaurants. Maybe 5.5% tops, certainly lower if you take a more detailed look at the numbers and significantly lower if you're talking waiters who get paid below-minimum-wage plus tips.

At least you're only spouting stats that are around 100% wrong, instead of Amanda Marcotte's preferred 1000%. Nevertheless, fuck you once again for being just another average internet-surfer who prefers to spread misinformation in order to trigger rage in your readers rather than figuring out what's true.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat09.htm

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -industry/
http://www.freezepage.com/1363295904BQTDWJXFHM
I always tip at least 15-20% he says.

Wow. That's generous. Follow custom to the letter. You make us so proud.

(BTW, as an Australian, I hate American tipping culture when I go there. But I love your cute little $1 bills.)

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
welch wrote:
Let us stop being infantile about war, it causes no end of problems.
I disagree. Pretexts are just that, but it doesn't mean that problems don't get solved along the way - by design or otherwise.

Take WWI, an entirely pointless conflict, sparked by pretestuous reasons that escalated beyond every participant's intentions and control. Yet, in one shot, it dissolved the German Reich, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire and, arguably was ultimately responsible for the end of Czarism in Russia.

Did an age of peace and prosperity ensue? Most definitely not, but those cancers were removed once and for all from the geopolitical map and solidified the foundations of future European democracies.
WWI was yet another damned european war. At that point, they seemed to have them about once every couple of decades. IIRC, 1945-1993 or so was the longest period some part of europe wasn't at war with itself in centuries.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Pitchguest wrote:
Git wrote:
Percentage wrote:
She's the luminary who wrote this little morsel:

http://www.shakesville.com/2009/10/rape ... e-101.html
Anyone else find the location of the trigger warning funny :lol:

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Some fan had this tatoo made:

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9518_n.jpg

I won't comment about the artistic quality (ok, I find it quite tasteless), but it's still cool to see somebody commit my band to their body. Maybe not the best of ideas, since my next album may be crappy, but cool anyway.
I don't care what other people have been saying about tattoos, I think it's really sweet that your mum has one.
:lol:
"'at's a ma boy ...."
If only. I had to block her from my FB page for a while, as she was commenting on anything I posted regarding Fairyland, with such highlights as "I'm proud of you, my little boy! Love, mom". It can get a bit embarassing, you know?
Pfft. You try to break up with the woman!

Stop calling me, Phil's mum!

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:lol, we went to war in Kosovo so we could lower the price of lead, zinc, cadmium, gold and silver. We, the west, would just love it if gold was worth slightly less.

Preventing a genocide was accidental.
The genocide was a good cover, but I doubt that it was to rescue some Muslims.

I did not mention the 17 billion tons of coal reserves did I? Or the view in certain circles about controlling certain areas around the Caspian Sea in order to secure the route for an oil pipeline?

YMMV
Well, at the time, Cadmium was rather popular in the computer industry for batteries. LiON has since won out. However, the major resources of Kosovo are lead, zinc, silver, nickel, cobalt, copper, iron and bauxite. Some of those are more important than others, but really, it's not anything you can't get elsewhere.

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:

It's about resources.
Was that supposed to rebut the quote? Because I thought Kosovo was full of white people. I think the US only got in to the extent they did because the others in NATO did anyway. I know they mostly rule nato, but ocassionally you have to go along, especially when you don't have to commit ground troops.
Good point. Kosovo was quite the splendid little war from our point of view. Pip, pip, and all that.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's also in every youtube clip I saw him in. What's that they said about Harriet Hall???

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:

It's about resources.
It rebuts the quote, dipshit, because it shows an example of a war without a resource goal.
No, but it was a situation where we could have had a bunch of dead honkies.

welch

Post by welch »

PeeZus asks "what can we do better?"

Clearly we have to stop calling women stupid cunts. From now on, women may only be called Gender Traitors, Sister Punishers, and Chill Girls for disagreeing with goodthink.

See? If you don't use bad words, THE PROBLEM GOES AWAY.

Have you ever been around babies or really young children for who object permanence is not a thing yet? They're amazingly cute, because you can play fucking peek-a-boo with them for hours, and it never gets old. If they can't see you, YOU DISAPPEARED and then, HOLY SHIT, YOU CAME THE FUCK BACK, YOU MUST BE MAGIC.

It *never* gets old for them, and that's about the same thing I see from PeeZus et al. it's like there's no "object permanence" in his world. If you stop saying certain "bad" words, then ALL THE PROBLEMS GO AWAY.

Is there a condition where you just never learn object permanence? Can we get PeeZus tested for that?

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:
JAB wrote:
cunt wrote:

It's about resources.
But the quote, asshole, only says the US needs a resource interest to fight for nonwhites, because it doesn't care about oppressed nonwhites. The implication, I would have thought from that quote, was that the US would care about oppressed white people, like one might find in Kosovo.
Yep. I did kind of say that. You know, we don't like it when you have dead honkies in the street. (again, unless they're jewish. Then that's okay. Well, in private. In public, you gotta be all horrified 'n' shit. Just ask FDR.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: No, I’m well over that – unfortunately or not.

Phew - glad to hear it. For a moment there, reality seemed such a strange and frightening place, I was about to grow my hair longish so that people would take me seriously as a genderqueer.
I certainly find reality that way at times – still: “lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it’s been” (for MKG) among others of the same generation:

[youtube]RPQAbBI7E38[/youtube]

Although I’m at a loss to understand how “grow my hair longish so that people would take me seriously as a genderqueer” follows. Sort of a non sequitur – so to speak …. :-)