Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Da fuck did I just read?!?
A review by a "hater".

Tony Parsehole

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mykeru wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Oh, and I see Oolon there, dining out on the Slymepit once more. Bless him, you'd think it was all he had.

'Oh Oolon, please do talk about the Slymepit some more. You're really interesting when you do."
Oolon performing his morning ablutions:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5543/9036 ... 0dea12.jpg

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PLACE???!!!!!!

Fap, fap, fap.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:More seriously, the *worst* racism I have ever seen or experienced is black on black, black on asian, and asian on black ... have lived in London most of my life, and the degree of hatred individuals in these communities often show each other is shocking. Tribal and cultural roots are to blame. London may be the most multi-cultural city in the world, but that means it brings many factions and tribes that have been at war for many centuries into close contact.
Worst racism I've seen is anti-white American (admittedly during Bush era). First time I've ever seen people spit on someone in the street because of their accent, walk out of a public space en masse or automatically reject someone for a job.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:Oh, and I see Oolon there, dining out on the Slymepit once more. Bless him, you'd think it was all he had.

'Oh Oolon, please do talk about the Slymepit some more. You're really interesting when you do."

Every comment he mentions this place. Even when the blogpost has literally nothing to do with The Great Divide Oolon will mention the Slymepit.

He has three known accounts here, has shown up as a "guest" to act like a prick and mentions us every chance he gets on every blog he visits.

I think he doth protest too much. He fucking loves us.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Posted on Nugent's blog, in moderation. Will most likely remain in purgatory forever:
Pitchguest June 14, 2013 at 8:32 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Look at this. I know this will end up in moderation, so when you have time, Michael.

Ophelia Benson is one of the absolute worst when it comes to her claims that she “just wants people to leave her alone.” That’s what she says. She just wants people to leave her alone. Her sporadically updated blog post documenting so-called “harassment” lead to conversations on Twitter, Facebook, etc, where Ophelia may (or may not) play a big role in the discussion. Sometimes in the examples that she showcases, her name is only mentioned and not much else, but it seems when others she doesn’t care for even *mentions* her name it constitutes as harassment. How do I know? Because it’s documented on her blog.

And you know what, if most of these instances — these examples she’s chosen to exhibit — were written or directed to her directly, by either her personal email address or on her blog, where the intent was deliberate to cause offence, then even I could concede that, yes, that would be a form of harassment. But they are not. They are not written to her directly, either by email or on her blog. If you look at the recent examples from her recent thread documenting her “harassment”, most (if not all) of them does not draw any explicit attention to her at all. She does not get tagged on Twitter, she does not get tagged on Facebook. In fact, most (if not all) of the examples she’s chosen to exhibit would only be found by Googling her name or if someone else drew her attention towards it.

However, she was very much being “left alone.” They may have spoken about her, but they did not tag her to imply she had to join in on the conversation.

So we have someone who in every regard wants to be “left alone”, and by being “left alone” we can assume she wouldn’t write about others in the same fashion she claims constitute as harassment when it’s done to her, in other words not writing about the people she wants to “leave her alone” and not attempting to instigate any conflicts.

Right?

So when I see this recent comment by Ophelia on Stephanie Zvan’s blog, I become somewhat skeptical of her claims that she truly wants to be “left alone” and that she in fact suffers from “harassment” in the same way this is conducted.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-244600
Eww. Looking at that thread that Oolon linked to with his convo with Katie Graham – he cites various people as examples of something, including “Jason Thibeault” – KG replies with “I don’t know about the French-Canadian.” Wtf? Jason is “the” generic “French-Canadian” to her? Dang, that’s creepy.
Katie Graham was not talking about Ophelia Benson in that blog post (nor did she in the comment section), Katie Graham was not instigating or “harassing” Ophelia, yet for some reason Ophelia feels justified to denigrate Katie. By Ophelia logic, her own words against Katie Graham would constitute as harassment. Did she forget she was being “harassed” by these people, or does she feel the rules of engagement are different when it comes to her and other people? The hypocrisy is astounding.

And if I should add one final thing (you can choose to remove this if you want), you really should stop kissing her arse. This is just another nail in the coffin for her. She doesn’t deserve your respect. After the conference, she will happily stab you in the back. She speaks of “harassment” but then says that about Katie Graham (and worse to Justin Vacula, another person she says doesn’t “leave her alone”), she speaks ill of Atheist Ireland (and you) and claims you support harassment of women, and she claimed Justin was “stalking” her. Repeatedly said he was stalking her, without evidence. That’s libel. That’s the kind of shit she pulled at WiS2 too, threatening to abuse her position as speaker should Justin do something that would even remotely displease her to kick him out if necessary. Disgraceful. Absolutely despicable behaviour. And I’m sorry to say this, Michael, but the fact that you actually go by Ophelia to validate posts before you release them from moderation — after all she has said and done — is frankly pitiful.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:So it seems someone may have trolled Avicenna by quoting Skep tickle (without credit) and sending it as an email to him:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... -blogging/
Gotta love this comment Katherine The Quiche:
Katherine Lorraine, Tortue du Désert avec un Coupe-Boulon

June 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM

And they bring up the porcupine trope that we disavowed more than a year ago? Seriously?

Get with the times, anti-FTB peoples, yeesh. You’re so 2011.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ent-103407

Sheesh, how dare people bring up the porcupine meme? it's really not fair that the words and actions of a group can come around and bite them on the arse. Stop living in the past you fuckers... etc. etc.
Haha. Yeah. Stop living in the past.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ud-voices/
synopsis by me wrote:Stephanie Zvan tries to form a consensus by linking to "roughly 90 women" (of which there are several duplicates) who criticises TAM and the criticisms against Rebecca Watson et al., by actually linking to posts made 3 years ago.
:whistle: :shifty:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
"PZ Myers sets himself apart from the rest of the New Atheist authors by talking, not just about the bigger picture of God, but about religion as all of us experience it on a daily basis. Yes, he tackles the philosophers and theologians, but he also reserves energy to take on casual believers and the myths we come across every day. Nothing--not Communion, not the Holy Spirit, not even death--is too sacred to dissect. And that's what he does, dismantling religious cliches with ease, making you reconsider all those ideas you grew up with (and may still hold). If you're still religious after reading this book, you didn't read it carefully enough."
--Hemant Mehta, author of "The Young Atheist's Survival Guide" and blogger at FriendlyAtheist.com

"With a style that blends confrontation, humor, irreverence, and common sense, PZ Myers has become an important voice for America's growing nonreligious demographic. "The Happy Atheist" is quintessential Myers--ridiculing absurdities, exposing contradictions, rejecting claims of authority, and reminding readers that religious dogmatism too often obstructs reason and critical thinking."
--David Niose, Author of "Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans" and President of the Secular Coalition for America

"PZ Myers is well known as an angry man in the land of 140-characters and blogs where he made his name. That anger is also here in this book, and it's always a righteous anger. But PZ Myers is also a happy man, amused as well as bemused by religious follies."
--Andrew Copson, Chief Executive, British Humanist Association
Oh dear...
Is it just me or do all those reviews skirt around the question "is this book any good?"

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ah what do I know it's probably a deliberate tour de force

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

He should have brought in Richard Carrier's intellectual artillery.

Edit: Ah, poop. Ninja'ed by rayshul ;p

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Pitchguest: I think you should save comments about Benson until after the AI convention. This is a point where I understand Michael. She is a guest speaker there, and I don't even want to imagine the kind of shit the organisation would get if they started leaving critical comments about her on their or Michael's sites.

I'm ready to bet Michael will be more lenient WRT comments about Benson when the con is over.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Sorry to everyone for not giving details of my soon to be homeless situation but I’ve been terribly stressed out and busy this week trying to liquate my personal property and arrange for housing after I’m evicted (which will be in two weeks at the most) and there are a myriad of health problems not to mention financial problems I’m dealing with right now.

Also sorry about bugging people to call me on skype. The reason for this is that it would be easier to explain my situation by talking as I’m exhausted at the end of the day and don’t feel much like fucking with typing and the internet and of course the direct human contact would be appreciated.

Bear with me folks. I’m coping but I have a lot on my plate right now.

windy

Post by windy »

Some good points raised in response to Greta's "9 questions not to ask atheists" post:
rolandbouman wrote:In short, labeling these questions as inappropriate basically means you categorically reject any discussion of your fundamental view of the world. That is, IMO, a very bad thing. This is exactly the kind of dogmatic thinking which I feel is the most damaging consequence of some religions.

Finally,

“Why be infuriated? Why not realize that nobody considers you wrong if you aren’t offended by such questions, but at the same time, many atheists will be offended by them?”

The infuriating thing is that I find these genuinely valid questions and I do not feel I’m offending anybody if I (or anyone really) would ask them precisely for the reasons I outlined above. Yet @robervary feels this is on the same level as 5-year olds pulling down their pants. This does not do justice to how interesting and serious these questions are.
Nardo Hall wrote:I mean, seriously. These are only 9 questions that supposedly should not be broached…but you’re only 1 atheist. What if another atheist comes along with 25 questions. Then another atheist comes after that with 100 more questions and so forth and so on. Do you all seriously expect people outside the atheist community to keep track of which questions they are allowed to ask and which questions are “forbidden”? If so, you’re just setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment. I believe that @rolandbouman and a couple of others up here see these questions for what they really are…words. And as I said in my #32 response, “the only way words can kill you…is if you let them.”
Greta Christina wrote:Nardo Hall @ #75: If you are not willing to take responsibility for how your words affect people, and are not willing to take other people’s feelings into consideration when you open your mouth, I do not want you commenting in my blog.

I have responded at somewhat greater length about this at #77. I am not going to explain it again. I welcome and indeed encourage lively and vigorous debate here, but I expect a basic level of human consideration in these conversations. If your basic attitude towards human discourse is that you shouldn’t have to stop and think about what you say, and the context in which you say it, and the history that lies behind it, then please go participate in other conversations elsewhere. I do not want you in my home.
Nardo Hall wrote: So what about your words? How do you think they make me feel? Did you take time out to consider your words before pretty much ostracizing me in front of the whole group? Wait…since I am on the wrong side of this debate, I guess it doesn’t matter how you address me. I guess that’s the least of what I had coming, right?
Okay, Greta. You win. I’ve seen the error of my ways. You guys are right. People need to stop asking atheist all these ignorant questions. As a matter of fact, just so that we can protect everybody’s feelings, let’s just stop asking questions all together. Besides, everybody knows that no one has every learned anything by asking questions…
p.s. – I too know a little something about hatred, harassment, etc. I grew up a black kid in the deep South. I guess I’ll crawl back in this corner and shut up now.
FTB, welcoming women and minorities into atheism since 2011, as long as they have the correct opinions :doh:

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Walter Ego wrote:Sorry to everyone for not giving details of my soon to be homeless situation but I’ve been terribly stressed out and busy this week trying to liquate my personal property and arrange for housing after I’m evicted (which will be in two weeks at the most) and there are a myriad of health problems not to mention financial problems I’m dealing with right now.

Also sorry about bugging people to call me on skype. The reason for this is that it would be easier to explain my situation by talking as I’m exhausted at the end of the day and don’t feel much like fucking with typing and the internet and of course the direct human contact would be appreciated.

P.S. If you want to know more about me, I did a Angry Atheist show with Reap just before
Christmas of last year. Everything began to fall apart after that. Here's the link.

http://angryatheist.info/?m=201212

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

pols.jpg
(28.86 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
(and so too is PeeZuss Christ)

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... /#comments

Keep spinning the victim narrative Greta. Please continue to tell me and all atheists everywhere how they're being victimised by theists asking questions. Don't stop threatening to ban people from your blog when they commit the sin of not being arsed enough to feel victimised and we all love it when you equate your blog to your home because they are totes the same thing. I regularly invite complete strangers into my house to read and comment on what I've written. I also kick them out, never to return, if they don't lick my arse.

Anyway, apparently, asking an atheist “Why do you hate God?” or “How can you have a community and a movement for something you don’t believe in?” perpetuates bigotry in the same manner as asking Hispanic-Americans: “Are you in this country legally?".

Let's all agree to never talk about anything or ask questions in case it offends somebody you fucking retarded bint.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

http://skepchick.org/2013/06/the-standa ... ou-accept/

Cuz Ron Lindsay, Michael Shermer and DJ Grothe tots accept sexual harassment. Is Watson trying to become the Lee Harvey Oswald of character assassins?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: "Man Objects To Prayers Before City Council Meetings"

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote: Why do so many USAnians hate their constitution so?
Oh, they love the Constitution. They just think it only applies to them.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

dogen wrote:
dogen wrote:Not sure whether anyone else has seen this, but here's a long ramble by Marcotte claiming that guys being jerks is now a political movement to keep teh wimminz down:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/13/s ... -movement/

One comment in particular caught my eye:
There's also a lot of coordinated action in the form of community-building. All-male gatherings where men rate the women they work with, tell nasty jokes to each other, complain about the matriarchy -- it's pervasive enough that it's almost invisible
Well played, that poster! :clap:
Also, the stock image at the top of the article is rather problematic...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/u ... ssment.jpg

Do you see what they did there?
Yeah! The men are wearing jeans in an office environment! Bad! BAD!!!

windy

Post by windy »

Gumby wrote:
"They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing!"

[youtube]3b56e0u0EgQ[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Hunt wrote:http://skepchick.org/2013/06/the-standa ... ou-accept/

Cuz Ron Lindsay, Michael Shermer and DJ Grothe tots accept sexual harassment. Is Watson trying to become the Lee Harvey Oswald of character assassins?
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 47d0c9.png

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

windy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
"They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing!"

[yootube]3b56e0u0EgQ[/yootube]
Hahaha. A good sentiment, but that was a terrible episode...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Oh FFS!

A paper at PLOS is blaming teh menz for female menopause. Just ONE MORE example THAT MEN ARE TO BLAME for everything that afflicts every woman in the world...

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/inf ... bi.1003092
Here we use a stochastic, two-sex computational model implemented by computer simulation to show how male mating preference for younger females could lead to the accumulation of mutations deleterious to female fertility and thus produce a menopausal period.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

AndrewV69 wrote:Oh FFS!

A paper at PLOS is blaming teh menz for female menopause. Just ONE MORE example THAT MEN ARE TO BLAME for everything that afflicts every woman in the world...

Here we use a stochastic, two-sex computational model implemented by computer simulation to show how male mating preference for younger females could lead to the accumulation of mutations deleterious to female fertility and thus produce a menopausal period.
It's a scientific paper. It's not blaming anyone for anything.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Gumby wrote:

I always knew there was a second gunman.

windy

Post by windy »

Metalogic42 wrote:

I'm guessing that was a joke.

The authors of that paper have put the cart before the horse: why would a mating preference for younger females evolve in the first place, if there was no fertility decline in older females?

Male chimpanzees prefer mating with old females.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17113387
Cross-cultural studies indicate that women's sexual attractiveness generally peaks before motherhood and declines with age. Cues of female youth are thought to be attractive because humans maintain long-term pair bonds, making reproductive value (i.e. future reproductive potential) particularly important to males. Menopause is believed to exaggerate this preference for youth by limiting women's future fertility. This theory predicts that in species lacking long-term pair bonds and menopause, males should not exhibit a preference for young mates. We tested this prediction by studying male preferences in our closest living relative, the chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes). We show that despite their promiscuous mating system, chimpanzee males, like humans, prefer some females over others. However, in contrast to humans, chimpanzee males prefer older, not younger, females. These data robustly discriminate patterns of male mate choice between humans and chimpanzees. Given that the human lineage evolved from a chimpanzee-like ancestor, they indicate that male preference for youth is a derived human feature, likely adapted from a tendency to form unusually long term mating bonds.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

If AndrewV69 was joking, everyone just ignore my previous post. Or mock me for being fucking stupid.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Gumby wrote:

[.img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 47d0c9.png[/img]
Again, top notch manipulation by her. The rapists in the army and their supporters are equated with the people who are on her opposing side. The uncompromising tone and attitude of the general (which is excellent and laudable) is then used as a blanket defense of whatever she claims. Since when you disagree with her, you seem to be against the uncompromising attitude the general has called for. I see this at its core as propagandist, i.e. the world is divided between the forces of good and evil. She sees herself, with the general on the good side, of course.

Yes, the community has to be uncompromising in the same way as the general has said it. Indeed, there is no place for the kind of behavior the general has pointed out. And then let's kick Rebecca Watson out, for people who instrumentalise serious issues in the way she does have no place in the community. People who are not helping on the issue, but instead did a major disservice to it, by combining it with their morally corrupt personality and by using it for own agenda.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Why, what happened last night? I was watching Game of Thrones on Amazon Prime after hearing people go on about it and got hooked.
Good for you. Game of Thrones series three was so awesome I did a special wee in my pants.
Just a little FYI, after 3 series Game Of Thrones currently has a 9.4 rating on IMDB but it's not to everybody's tastes apparently.:
The most pathetic excuse for money EVER !
1/10
Author: sboulama
8 June 2013

Nothing is really "new", nothing means something interesting, and, beyond everything, the sex is used every 2 minutes, and women(and i am a man who defends women), are almost all treated like objects of pleasure, and i swear to god i don't know why so many people love this abomination. I sincerely regret the mental capacities of each person on earth who actually even "like" it. This is cruel, pervert and it doesn't make any sense. The people who say that they watch this "sitcom"(if this is one), for the plot don't know what a "plot" is, or a "scenario". Yes, the way it is directed is really beautiful, yes, the landscapes are wonderful as well, and all those stuff show us that the makers(the directors, producers...), have an intelligence, actually, but it's not enough ! They wanted money, so they put sex in the sitcom. That's all. And, of course, many people around the world are watching that crap. Keep your money, your time and your IQ, because many women's dignities have been passed away, in hell. I hope they will stop showing us that kind of thing, and, more important, i really, really hope that this is not the best they are able to do.
HAHAHAHA! I bet he's a mod at the A+ Forum.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/
I'm halfway through series 2 and damn, does Peter Dinklage own that show.

I've read some very selective opinions on the use of nudity, most focusing on the trope of "using women as sex objects". Yes, and they also have torture, murder, incest, backstabbing, throat-cutting, disemboweling, rape and slavery. Plus a naked preggo fire-crotch magically birthing a shadow monster and dragons. However, some people seem to be fixated on the display of tits, which is odd because you can also get some backside of both sexes, the overt twink blowjob and even a dongle or two, if that's what you are into.

Like everything else in this imagined feudal world, sex is both a means of power, coercion and subjugation. That's the fucking point.

Prudes, they overlook so much in order to get bent out of shape over some tits.

Which seems odd, especially as most of the tits are really nice.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

dogen wrote:
dogen wrote:Not sure whether anyone else has seen this, but here's a long ramble by Marcotte claiming that guys being jerks is now a political movement to keep teh wimminz down:

There's also a lot of coordinated action in the form of community-building. All-male gatherings where men rate the women they work with, tell nasty jokes to each other, complain about the matriarchy -- it's pervasive enough that it's almost invisible

You know, Marcotte's gotten herself in trouble with exposing her closet racism before. You'd think she'd learn seeing how this crap has caused her problems in the past and, at a minimum, make sure someone else wouldn't do something as stupid as lay an obvious racial stereotype photo on top of one of her men-are-all-rapey-fantasy columns.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Gumby wrote:
It is the standard illustration of the human behavioral characteristic common throughout all human groups and societies:

"When you prevent me from doing what I want to do, that's persecution; but when I prevent you from doing what you want to do, that is law, order and morals." - Bernard Shaw

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Gumby wrote:

Nobody's ever managed to find the little gunman on her grassy knoll.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

rayshul wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:More seriously, the *worst* racism I have ever seen or experienced is black on black, black on asian, and asian on black ... have lived in London most of my life, and the degree of hatred individuals in these communities often show each other is shocking. Tribal and cultural roots are to blame. London may be the most multi-cultural city in the world, but that means it brings many factions and tribes that have been at war for many centuries into close contact.
Worst racism I've seen is anti-white American (admittedly during Bush era). First time I've ever seen people spit on someone in the street because of their accent, walk out of a public space en masse or automatically reject someone for a job.
I'm sorry, but is this ironic? Or are you just that sheltered?

Post by Guest »

does all this mean when pz tells anyone to 'fuck off' he is objectifying them, which is both wrong and bad?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tribble wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Not ironic at all, just anecdotal. :) Never seen anything like it.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Metalogic42 wrote:

Do you think that will matter? I can see Gloria Allred using this to file a class action suit against all men because 'Misogyny from the dawn of the human race made women get the 'change of life.''

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Mykeru wrote:I'm halfway through series 2 and damn, does Peter Dinklage own that show.

I've read some very selective opinions on the use of nudity, most focusing on the trope of "using women as sex objects". Yes, and they also have torture, murder, incest, backstabbing, throat-cutting, disemboweling, rape and slavery. Plus a naked preggo fire-crotch magically birthing a shadow monster and dragons. However, some people seem to be fixated on the display of tits, which is odd because you can also get some backside of both sexes, the overt twink blowjob and even a dongle or two, if that's what you are into.
Oleana Redwyne or whatever the fuck her name is is the best. IMHO.

The focus on fucking tits seems to me like the same focus people have on tits or whatever in video games. People seem to be completely desensitized to violence - well, violence against MEN at least - but it's all OMG TITTIES. I really think we're sliiiiding backwards into the Victorian age.

There was recently a thing on some Richard Dawkins related site with a chick amputee, naked, showing off her prosthetic in an athletic pose in relation to a line about god not healing amputees. The comments I saw about it were all SEXISM and OBJECTIFICATION. I just... I don't know.

Post by Guest »

Metalogic42 wrote:If AndrewV69 was joking, everyone just ignore my previous post. Or mock me for being fucking stupid.
why choose only one?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

rayshul wrote:
Tribble wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Not ironic at all, just anecdotal. :) Never seen anything like it.
Good for you. Being 52, I've damn well seen a lot of it. Schooling. Banking. Jobs. Getting my locker stuffed with KKK literature (as if I'd ever join the fucking KKK) in HS. (Hell, in my HS many whites were racists on other whites -- If you weren't of German, Irish (irony), Scottish or English descent, you were the 'wrong sort' of white and inferior. I used to tell the fuckers I was Russian (we were still in the cold war then) despite my rather obvious English surname.)

The list is long and painful. Glad you've missed so much of it as going through that really makes you cynical fuck.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Mykeru wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Oh dear, someone has a massive pile of sand in his vagina.

MLsyOoJufa4

He really should hose that out.

P.S. I find people who don't get the joke of "evangelical atheist" and "serenity through viciousness" to be kind of amusing.
Before I break out the popcorn and watch that, do you have a link as to where this started?
Goodness, no.

Started on social media, Twitter, with our own Jack Raynor and friends giving Kristina Hansen the "good riddance, knew she was a rad fem" goodbye when she moved from AVfM, and then the linked phone conversation that someone, apparently Paul Elam taped, moving to the FTB-like dishonest horseshit coming from the MGTOW camp where I apparently offended their Libertarian sensibilities displaying my far-left leanings and blah-blah-fucking-blah. Also, they knew mixing up with those atheist was a bad idea. Which then proceeded to my extra special comedy stylings of just trying to piss them off for the mean-spirited hell of it and it sort of went downhill from there. However, according to Paul Elam, if I say something as a skeptic, therefore I think I speak for the entire atheist and skeptical community which is just wrong, as the only person who can speak for an entire community is Paul Elam, spiritual leader of those with a cock.

The best I can sum it up, is if you disagree with some of the MGTOW camp, you are exposed as being a woman-hating misogynist and right-wing patriarchal...No, wait, that's not it. But the way they characterized people who don't toe the line is oddly familiar.

Also, the difficulty is that the Pauls, PZ and male-spelled-backwards, are so alike in appearance and style, that I'm starting to confuse them.
I missed the whole scandal. Too late now, but I wonder where I'd have stood in the arguments. I always have been a WGTOW, or whatever the female version of MGTOW is.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Walter Ego wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:Sorry to everyone for not giving details of my soon to be homeless situation but I’ve been terribly stressed out and busy this week trying to liquate my personal property and arrange for housing after I’m evicted (which will be in two weeks at the most) and there are a myriad of health problems not to mention financial problems I’m dealing with right now.

P.S. If you want to know more about me, I did a Angry Atheist show with Reap just before
Christmas of last year. Everything began to fall apart after that. Here's the link.

http://angryatheist.info/?m=201212
Walter, I hate to say it but you very often come off as a stalker-type. Your online persona seemed to almost entirely revolve around EllenBeth Wachs. In fact your few posts at the 'pit kept me away from this place for a while, because I didn't want to be in a place that enabled your behavior. Luckily I found that others here at the pit expressed concern as well, and you seemed to stop posting here.

Walter, don't do anything stupid obviously. If shit gets really bad, Florida has the 'baker act'. Just refuse to sign the paperwork regarding agreeing to pay via insurance (as I guess you have none). The state will pay for some mental health care.

Consider letting go of the internet (or IRL) drama, and work on you for a bit man. Good luck.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

rayshul wrote:
Mykeru wrote:I'm halfway through series 2 and damn, does Peter Dinklage own that show.

The focus on fucking tits seems to me like the same focus people have on tits or whatever in video games. People seem to be completely desensitized to violence - well, violence against MEN at least - but it's all OMG TITTIES. I really think we're sliiiiding backwards into the Victorian age.
Yeah. Lara Croft gets a bit of 'she might be raped' thing going on in the opening scenes of the new Tomb Raider game and it's misogyny from here to Pluto. Yet from what I've read the character and script was developed by a woman (Rhianna Pratchett, Terry Pratchett's daughter)). I guess she's a gender traitor despite her rather liberal father who routinely treats women with more respect then men....

In the meantime, male characters... Man, they so often go through hell... Yet there's not a single peep...

BTW, there's a great article/blogpost at Gamasutra on tropes, women and issues about writing non-white-male game characters. Much of it revolving around you're in a no-win situation thanks to the take-offense-at-everything-mentality of the SJWs.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanCrei ... _Sheet.php

And I see his point. You're going to get roasted. I know Dead Island took a lot of flack for it's black man and black woman characters. Left for Dead got some flack for three of it's four characters (including Ellis for being a Southern redneck).

SJWs are NEVER happy. Can never leave anything alone. Must always find offense they can rail against.
There was recently a thing on some Richard Dawkins related site with a chick amputee, naked, showing off her prosthetic in an athletic pose in relation to a line about god not healing amputees. The comments I saw about it were all SEXISM and OBJECTIFICATION. I just... I don't know.
Finding offense out of nothing is like a bottle of rotgut whiskey that the take-offense-oholic just can't put it down...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

rayshul wrote:

Somebody posted a link to a feminist blog not long back which commented on a torture scene from series 3. I'll try to keep the spoilers to a minimum but
if you haven't seen series 3 of Game Of Thrones ignore the rest of this post

The scene in question shows a prisoner being aroused by two women who proceed to strip naked and sexually excite the prisoner. The prisoner then gets his cock cut off by his torturer who was responsible for sending the girls in solely to arouse the prisoner. The feminist blog actually said that even though the guy lost his dick in the most painful and humiliating way possible it was actually the women who were the real victims in the scene because they were naked and were being objectified......I wish I had the link.

And, yeah, Tyrion Lannister is awesome but I think Arya will overshadow him in the pissing contest.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

The guy I linked to yesterday has already been banned for a week. Didn't take long. However, it was because he dared to deny the existence of "rape culture". The fool. Cue usual piling-on when he can't reply.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Of course Ophelia quotes and waxes dyspraxically about Rebecca's post, but there's an interesting comment from Pen:
Pen
June 14, 2013 at 12:04 am (UTC -7) Link to this comment
Rebecca wrote:
There are too many of us, and especially too many people in positions of power, who are unwilling or unable to take any real action that might help stop the incessant harassment of women in our ranks, or to take any other real moral stand.
Well, yes, and ‘we’ are also not a highly regimented, strictly disciplined organisation with a rigid chain of command and superiors with authority to tell us what to do and/or kick us out. I hope ‘we’ can find some mode of non-failure that’s adapted to this very desirable situation.
Excellent point. The A/S community is not a military organization, in spite of what the SJ "warriors" may think. Rebecca may call herself the "fearless leader of the Skepchicks" but she is not my leader and does not speak for me. None of them sets a behavioral pattern that I admire or wish to follow.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Total posts 99452
So close...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ah, fuck, I was just going to paste that, but I had to do my genuflection and Mea Culpa before Saint Ophelia of the Wrinkles first.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

If people paid $1 to charity instead of taking a picture of themselves with a sign on their fucking webcam the world would be a better fucking place.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

The authors of that paper have put the cart before the horse: why would a mating preference for younger females evolve in the first place, if there was no fertility decline in older females?
The BBC seems to report it in much the same way that AndrewV69 states :naughty:

http://i.imgur.com/ICGtMXC.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I wonder what the computational model would have come up with if they'd gone with the hypothesis that older women like it in the butt.

Altair

Post by Altair »

dogen wrote:

What I'd like to know is: what is she doing on that computer? judging from her face's expression, she must be disarming a nuclear bomb capable of destroying the whole planet

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Somebody posted a link to a feminist blog not long back which commented on a torture scene from series 3. I'll try to keep the spoilers to a minimum but
if you haven't seen series 3 of Game Of Thrones ignore the rest of this post

The scene in question shows a prisoner being aroused by two women who proceed to strip naked and sexually excite the prisoner. The prisoner then gets his cock cut off by his torturer who was responsible for sending the girls in solely to arouse the prisoner. The feminist blog actually said that even though the guy lost his dick in the most painful and humiliating way possible it was actually the women who were the real victims in the scene because they were naked and were being objectified......I wish I had the link.

And, yeah, Tyrion Lannister is awesome but I think Arya will overshadow him in the pissing contest.
Rebecca Watson wrote a pretty level-headed article recently on the misogyny in game of thrones. I'm not even being sarcastic.

http://skepchick.org/2013/06/misogyny-a ... verything/

It's Myers' comment underneath that really encapsulates the problem so many (non-radical) feminists have with the show. It's not so much that they mind all the tits, bums and violence against women. It's that they think everybody else is too stupid to understand that it's a fantasy tv show, and not an aspirational life-style magazine.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
windy wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

The BBC seems to report it in much the same way that AndrewV69 states :naughty:

http://i.imgur.com/ICGtMXC.jpg
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090830.gif

welch

Post by welch »

bovarchist wrote:
Notung wrote:
Tribble wrote:The name and icon have changed now that Colgate-Palmolive bought them out (that's the transition in the three tubes). But the Chinese name on the package is: "Black Person Toothpaste."
Just interjecting here to say that I brushed my teeth with this toothpaste this morning. The Chinese on the tube (pinyin: Hei ren) does indeed translate as "Black Man" or "Black Person" (my Taiwanese girlfriend translates it as "Black Man"), and even with my limited knowledge of Chinese I can verify this. It's the number one toothpaste here, and there are ads everywhere for it. I was obviously flabbergasted when I first discovered it, but it really is completely normal here - not frowned upon in the slightest by anyone (except for newbie Westerners like me).

Anyway, as you were!
I don't see why it should be frowned upon. "Darkie", yes, I can see that that is an offensive term by modern standards. But why is it inherently racist to name a product after a particular group? Does the Indian Motorcycle company have this problem? I can't even imagine Spike Lee being upset by this.

And before this devolves into sports teams' names, let me get there first. I loved this post by Myers; it's just...so representative of the kind of distortion, dishonesty and manic flailing that he's turned into an argument style. And in just a few elegant lines!
PZ Myers wrote: We’ve had this long-simmering football controversy here in the upper midwest — a North Dakota football team named itself after an Indian tribe. They try to argue that it’s not racist and claim that it’s a respectful homage to the natives, but look at the history of such naming elsewhere: the Washington DC football team name is unabashedly racist.
The North Dakota team in question is called the Sioux. So what's Myers' brilliant argument that this is a racist name and should be changed? Well, there's a completely different team called the Redskins. That's racist, right? So the Sioux must be racist too! Myers then goes on for several paragraphs, detailing the history of the Redskins club, and never even mentions the Sioux team again. Racism: Proven.

There are times when I feel out of my depth in trying to parse exactly how Myers is being deceptive. And then there are times when he obviously isn't even trying anymore.
Myers is also assuming no one else knows about UND, so he gets to be the sole authority on it. As someone who lived in Grand Forks, (where UND is), and actually *attended* UND, the situation is, unsurprisingly, more complicated than Myers puts it out there, and the UND people are trying really hard to balance all the concerns while pissing off the fewest people possible. "Sioux" is in and of itself somewhat problematic as it was a name given to the Lakota et al by other tribes, and there is fairly decent evidence that it may be an insult more than just a name.

It's gone back and forth for *decades* in the legislature, and in the University itself. It was not helped by a major donor, Ralph Engelstad (like $100M large) being a major dick about the whole thing. he financed the building of the Hockey Arena, and put thousands of the Fighting Sioux logo all over the place, just so removing them would be expensive as hell. One of the conditions of his donation was that UND keep the FS name indefinitely. Thanks, dick.

However, it's a non-issue anymore. In June of 2012, by both popular vote, and university trust vote, UND is getting rid of the logo, and they aren't going to have a new name until 2015. Of course, PeeZus posts his article almost a year to the day after all this happened, so the controversy has been settled. The name is going away, (it's mostly gone now except for getting rid of it from the Engelstad stuff), and this was decided a *year ago*.

Literally:
On June 11, 2012, the naming issue was up for a statewide vote, on the ballot as Referendum Measure #4, to keep or retire the nickname. A sizable majority, 67.35%,[22] of North Dakota voters chose to retire the "Fighting Sioux" name and American Indian head logo.[23]
On June 14, 2012, the state Board of Higher Education voted to get rid of the University of North Dakota's moniker and Indian head logo. The university is prohibited from adopting a new team name until 2015.
Does Myers reference that? Oh no. he makes it sound like this is still going on and the eeeeeevil honkies at UND are still fighting to keep it. Because after all, who would give a fuck about UND shit. I mean besides an ex-student :-P. Way to go PeeZus, once again, you're a liar. Provably so.

In all likelyhood, Myers is just pissed off about the dead gophers thrown on the ice whenever UND scores against UM. Which is fairly common.

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
That's a false analogy. Sioux is, in fact, the name of a Native American tribe. Redskins is, in fact, a commonly understood as a racial slur. It may have not started out that way, much like 'nigger' came from 'negro' which is merely Spanish for 'black.' But it is now.

Not really. the names the various tribes have are Lakota, Dakota, etc. Sioux is a name given to them by other tribes, and can be considered something of an insult in and of itself.

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:"assault by a penis" has been giving me a visual of a giant cock without a man attached who smacks that woman in the face like those fish.
playing up the racist meme of how black men are desperate to fuck white women?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:If people paid $1 to charity instead of taking a picture of themselves with a sign on their fucking webcam the world would be a better fucking place.
BRB. Hitting Ophelia Benson's paypal link to make the world a better place.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:I wonder what the computational model would have come up with if they'd gone with the hypothesis that older women like it in the butt.
It would probably graph out into something like this.

http://i.imgur.com/67ci39e.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »