Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Percentage

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Percentage »

The clone's got a new post up, which I read through twice before I realized it wasn't by the source material.

Creepily exact similarities:

- Broadly sarcastic diction (Ophie does sarcasm better),
- Framing the "new rule" as a forceful "suggestion", which has always been the source material's style,
- Jumping halfheartedly on the bandwagon of Hugo Schwyzer hate (which is interesting, because regardless of your opinion on the dude, he's been subjected to Watsonian levels of harassment. Of course, he also doesn't fit the FfTB victim model),
- and, of course "valid anger".

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:
sacha wrote: yeah, she's also wrong. The majority of women like an average size penis. They are afraid a large one going to hurt. Size Queens are not that common with women.
TMI Trigger Warning:
I'd hate to be a mere commoner anyways. Heheh. I must admit being a penis size queen. Below the waist that is.
the men you know have a penis above the waist?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:Taking bets on whether I'll regret my above post. The winner buys the forum an edit button! :lol:
don't worry, luv
you still have not caught up to me. If you would rather the visual be on someone else, I would be happy to share my preferences.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

ReneeHendricks wrote:So...totally and completely off-topic but here I go. How do you keep a man who's dealt with years of neuropathy in his feet and more than occasional bouts of gout motivated to continue with radiation therapy? He's halfway through - saliva as thick as Elmer's Glue and choking him, a mouth stint I'm sure he'd love shit upon, and ulcers on his tongue that make even water bring tears to his eyes? Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome :D
Wish I had more encouraging news but it doesn't start to get better until one to two weeks after the therapy is finished. Is he using magic mouthwash? Also don't be afraid to insist on better pain meds if the ones already prescribed aren't helping. They always under prescribe because the rules for dispensing narcotics are ridiculous, but if you're persistent they usually will work with you. If the pain is truly unbearable the oncologist might put him on a break for a few days, but it does adversely effect the odds of a cure. For exterior skin burns on his neck there's a new product I've heard about called dermarad that's supposed to be really good.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Apples wrote:So.... yeah. Carrier on Thunderf00t, etc. Carrier triples down on the notion that all he's ever done in his promotion of Atheism+ is call for "compassion, honesty, and reasonableness." Which, if it were true, would indeed make it strange that he's gotten so much pushback and that the yt video of his speech was rejected so decisively. [...]
Nugent turned the corner just in time, but it seems Carrier is too proud to admit that he misjudged the situation. I also don't get his answer to Thunderf00t. Just look at the first paragraph.
Richard Carrier wrote: In response to my video promoting positive goals and values for the atheist community (Atheism…Plus What?), Thunderf00t (whose real name is Phil Mason) has expanded his anti-feminist rants to the point that I am seriously worried he might have no empathy for other human beings at all. He is now even ranting against concern for minorities. His departure from logic and reason, in defense of abuse and amorality, is just weird, and makes it ironic that he claims my call for more community and compassion, honesty, and reasonableness is toxic to the atheism movement. Clearly, his chucking overboard empathy, women, minorities, and anything actually good for our community is what’s toxic. If his vision were realized, the atheist community would be a scary and awful place to be.
  1. Paragraph 1: The Facts
  2. Carrier names Thunderf00t's real name.
  3. Links to the biased RationalWiki Article
  4. Claims he is worried about TF's empathy.
  5. Criticizes TF for "ranting against concern for minorities"
  6. ...and "departure from logic and reason"
  7. ...and "in defense of abuse and amorality"
  8. Claims that TF said his "call for community and compassion, honesty, and reasonableness is toxic to the atheism movement"
1) Typical FTB style smearing of names. The intention is to destroy reputations, hence he includes the real name. Even if Thunderf00ts name is generally known, Carrier wants to make it searchable. It's quite heinous and to be honest, Thunderf00t could have done worse and would not deserve that (I should add that I'm not a particular Thunderf00t fan myself, I wish he would refrain from manipulative editing techniques, though I sympathize with him whenever he gets FTB treatment).

2) The critical entries in the RationalWiki Article were added a day after Thunderf00t uploaded his Richard Carrier video. Quite a good timing. It seems someone didn't like that specific video from him.

3) Fake tears, but look how extreme. Carrier is indeed worthy of A+Theism. You don't just write that another person has no empathy, in all seriousness, combined with claiming they were a sociopath. This is over the top extreme, and Carrier indeed retroactively deserves every down vote for that one. Reminds me, I haven't voted on his videos yet. And Nugent once was concerned about "Cunt". I really do wonder where those people lost their marbles.

4) This is not what was stated. It boils down to growing the market, vs. increasing market share within the market. Carrier the "intellectual artillery" simply doesn't get it.

5) On paper, FfTBers think of themselves as reasonable humanist, feminist etc. That's why their Othering is about declaring people as dumb, ignorant, etc. (Atheism Plus) douches, misogynists etc. Another example of how people who claim to be against something somehow use the same gimmickry as what they allegedly despise.

6) Here he pulls the Victim Meatshield Trick. Because Thunderf00t's video was about Carrier's talk, and not about a person Carrier mentions in a video, Carrier claims that Thunderf00t therefore approves of the actions against the girl. Which is nonsense. Apparently, they aren't capable of seeing different layers of communication (metas). Carrier reports about the communication with the girl (meta-1), and Thunderf00t discusses Carrier's reporting of the issue (meta-2). And I'm now in meta-3, and if I had endless amounts of space (and reader attention), I could dive deep down and condemn the issue with the girl. Carrier, as well as PZ Myers and his commentariat just don't get.

7) Carrier simply repeats what he already said in his video about the critique of other people. In short. He really doesn't get it. He doesn't get that not compassion and whatever are the issue, but other things, which were explained to him.

When we look at how Carrier reacts to criticism, we can also see someone who switches between "point by point, with timestamp" when it suits him, and then again, suddenly, goes into general impression when he finds it better. A throughout devious, dishonest and I must say rhetorically unimpressive person. I always hoped for a Historian that would support Krauss, Dawkins, Harris and Dennett; someone who could bring in perspective of how Christianity (in particular) was anything but a force of good in history, but I now sincerely hope that Carrier will never be that person.

sacha

Re: fearless leader

Post by sacha »

Apples wrote:Everybody get your hankie out for Rebecca. She's got a new post up wringing her hands over being called a cunt by Rogan's fans. Oh wait - actually it doesn't bother her - put away that hankie:

"After two years of this kind of treatment, I’m used to this, so it hasn’t gotten me down at all and I’m not about to stop writing about this stuff."

http://skepchick.org/2013/04/how-about- ... -louis-ck/
http://www.freezepage.com/1365684515FFGSPGKOOQ

Actually -- strike that -- turns out you might need that hankie. Here she explains that the metric to measure progress towards the goal of raising awareness of the "harassment" she receives is "how often I burst into tears while going about my daily business."

Ryan Grant Long is spot on, yet again:

The only thing that really angers her is when people don’t give her attention.

this one is exactly how I feel:
standing there asking questions calmly, I would do my very best to not sock her in the face.
— Jonathan Pal

I have those urges for many people like her, both male and female.
so refraining to punch a woman, simply because she's a woman is not misogynistic, but having thoughts of punching someone who enrages you, regardless of their gender, that's "rape culture".

got it.

I wonder if the person who tweeted that had the initial J instead of Jonathan, and there was no way to tell their gender, would it have gone on her newest "page-o-hate"?

sacha

Post by sacha »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
sacha wrote:
bovarchist wrote:What struck me about Taslima's piece was how she blithely assumes that her tastes are also the tastes of Woman, and any woman whose tastes may be different is either lying to spare her partner's feelings, or been brainwashed by Small Penis Warriors (tm).
yeah, she's also wrong. The majority of women like an average size penis. They are afraid a large one going to hurt. Size Queens are not that common with women.
Wow. Just read that bit. Here's my favorite part:
If a woman is not shy, and you can earn her trust, she will tell you the truth.
Ok, FTR, I'm not shy. I'm extremely vocal when it comes to things regarding sex. I also have no desire to end up walking like I've been riding a horse for days. What complete and utter bullshit.
The point of her post was to shame the vast majority of men. Make them feel as though they are not worthy of most women. I don't think it has anything to do with her personal preferences, and I would not be surprised if she was not a size queen at all.

I would love to hear her reaction to a similar post written by a man about breast size. I'm sure she would have no issue with shaming small breasted women, and making them feel that they are not attractive to the majority of men.

Southern

Re: Is Thunderf00t a sociopath?

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
Oh fuck me, FTB is now doing POPUP ads?

Ye gods.
It feels good to be in the 90s again! Radiohead is releasing OK Computer, economy is going fine, Squaresoft isn't Square-Enix yet... I think I'll move to Pharyungula to enjoy the good old times.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ianfc wrote:A gem from Shakesville, McEwan claims fish sauce was othered in Gwyneth Paltrow's latest cookbook.
Gwyneth is such a sauceist! She needs to check her western cuisine privilege.

Fish sauce is essential to a good pad thai, but it does reek something awful -- unlike Melissa McEwan, who is not required for pad thai.

acathode

Post by acathode »

welch wrote:Oh fuck me, FTB is now doing POPUP ads?

Ye gods.
For real? Wow... is Ed just that stupid, or are they really that desperate for ad money?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Zenspace wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, to be serious a second: when I have my Ménière attacks, I just lay in bed with earbuds and a night mask (like the ones they give you on planes for sleeping). I let my thoughts drift out, and sleep if I can. Works with me most times.

Is this woo?
Phil, I also have Ménière's Syndrome! I've suffered random attacks for about 15 years now, so condolences on that. Your approach is not woo at all. All you can do when an attack hits is to secure your body in a stable position - laying down seems best - and try to relax and let it pass. I do pretty much the same thing, but just close my eyes and try to nap till it passes. Relaxation so the ear de-stimulates is key.

How badly do you get symptoms?
Last attack I had, I was in bed for 4 days. I always carry a bucket with me in the appartment, as even a moderatly sudden sound makes me puke. I only go out and do stuff when I feel well enough, which is roughly 2 weeks out of a month. I would get the surgery, but they told me there's a 50/50 chance of ending up deaf in my right ear. Seeing my line of work, I'm not ready to take that risk just yet.

Ménière sucks. At least, the days in bed without food help me lose some weight :lol:

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

sacha wrote: The point of her post was to shame the vast majority of men. Make them feel as though they are not worthy of most women. I don't think it has anything to do with her personal preferences, and I would not be surprised if she was not a size queen at all.

I would love to hear her reaction to a similar post written by a man about breast size. I'm sure she would have no issue with shaming small breasted women, and making them feel that they are not attractive to the majority of men.
Ugh. I clicked the link and skimmed Twatson's post. I hate her so much it fucking burns; what a fucking disgusting cunt she is. She has this blog called "skepchick". What part of that blog is about skepticism again? Oh, that's right; nothing. It's _all_ about poor poor Twatson and how poorly she is treated by the ev0l menses.

How I wish she would be ignored by everyone. She is a stain upon society.

Post by Guest »

tamerlane wrote:
ianfc wrote:A gem from Shakesville, McEwan claims fish sauce was othered in Gwyneth Paltrow's latest cookbook.

Fish sauce is essential to a good pad thai, but it does reek something awful -- unlike Melissa McEwan, who is not required for pad thai.
:clap:

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

acathode wrote:
Ye gods.
For real? Wow... is Ed just that stupid, or are they really that desperate for ad money?
Must be ad money. Most of the FTB whole site RSS feed are intro only--click for more type entries.

Looks like Google stopping their RSS ad service is hitting pretty hard. I vaguely recall Watson was trying to crowdsource suggestions for a replacement as well.

[sarc]I'm really surprised more businesses don't outsource the operating the cash registers. [/sarc]

sacha

Re: fearless leader

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote: http://www.freezepage.com/1365684515FFGSPGKOOQ

this one is exactly how I feel: standing there asking questions calmly, I would do my very best to not sock her in the face.

I forgot to include the first part of the tweet. It should have read:

I have to be honest. I am totally into nonviolence but if she was screaming in my face while I was standing there asking questions calmly, I would do my very best to not sock her in the face. —Jonathan Pal

I have those urges for many people like her, both male and female.
so refraining to punch a woman, simply because she's a woman is not misogynistic, but having thoughts of punching someone who enrages you, regardless of their gender, that's "rape culture".

got it.

I wonder if the person who tweeted that had the initial J instead of Jonathan, and there was no way to tell their gender, would it have gone on her newest "page-o-hate"?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Taking bets on whether I'll regret my above post. The winner buys the forum an edit button! :lol:
don't worry, luv
you still have not caught up to me. If you would rather the visual be on someone else, I would be happy to share my preferences.
We are waiting.

What are they?

Will we measure up?

Or will we lack privilege?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Oneiros666 wrote:
sacha wrote: The point of her post was to shame the vast majority of men. Make them feel as though they are not worthy of most women. I don't think it has anything to do with her personal preferences, and I would not be surprised if she was not a size queen at all.

Ugh. I clicked the link and skimmed Twatson's post. I hate her so much it fucking burns; what a fucking disgusting cunt she is. She has this blog called "skepchick". What part of that blog is about skepticism again? Oh, that's right; nothing. It's _all_ about poor poor Twatson and how poorly she is treated by the ev0l menses.

How I wish she would be ignored by everyone. She is a stain upon society.
Non sequitur, or did I miss something? The penis size post was by Taslima Nasreen at her blog "No Country For Women" at FtB: http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... -told-you/ Her link there is to the news article at The Independent reporting on a study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I don't think the penis size study was reported at Skepchick (could be wrong; don't see it there).

Several of the writers have science backgrounds but the content is pretty lightweight, even when it's not about feminism (which most of it tends to be) or about RW's travails. For example, these 2 articles featured in the banner near the top of the page: http://skepchick.org/2013/04/blowing-on ... r-science/ and http://skepchick.org/2013/04/the-privil ... rivileged/

Current content featured lower on the page includes: RW's recent posts about all the crude negative tweets she received from Joe Rogan's twitterbase and about "Anti-Street Harassment Quips" [sic] meaning one-liners for Tshirts that mean "stay far away from me, boy!" Surly Amy's post about "white knighting" ("Is being an ally in the feminist movement about protecting women, supporting them or is listening the most important thing?") Bad Chart Thursday, this week about "Subversive Subtext in Maggot Painting" (amusing; the chart is just an afterthought).

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

This is why you should always listen to the wimminz

[youtube]HW48MF2J2mc[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Individual case. Anecdote...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

How are gynocologist exams particularly uncomfortable or degrading? I mean, fuck, they've got to go up there so just suck it the fuck up. They're DOCTORS and I expect it's 100 times worse for them than you. I say that as someone who's had people up my snatch a whole bloody lot. FOR MEDICAL REASONS.
sacha wrote:Ryan Grant Long is spot on, yet again:

The only thing that really angers her is when people don’t give her attention.
Yep. I wonder if she's sad the 'pit doesn't care about her so much over the past while. Carrier, PZ and Crom's little buddy are much funnier. Hard to top that stuff.
tamerlane wrote:

The smell is fucking TERRIBLE!!! Yeah, I've tried doing a pad thai with fish sauce... never again. But I don't even know what culture is into fish sauce, it seems to be everywhere. Isn't fish sauce in Europe? Or is that rotten fish?
ReneeHendricks wrote:So...totally and completely off-topic but here I go. How do you keep a man who's dealt with years of neuropathy in his feet and more than occasional bouts of gout motivated to continue with radiation therapy? He's halfway through - saliva as thick as Elmer's Glue and choking him, a mouth stint I'm sure he'd love shit upon, and ulcers on his tongue that make even water bring tears to his eyes? Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome :D
This sounds a horrific situation - poor guy :( When does he get news about how the therapy has worked or does he wait for the full course? That might be inspiring/motivating for him. Counselling & relaxation techniques could help... or finding him some hobby to distract him. It sounds like doctors need to provide him with some solutions to these multiple issues though. Is there a solution for any of those that doesn't have to involve pain killers - the choking saliva sounds fucking awful.

I'm very hard and unsympathetic during my partner's regular head tumor adventures, which he seems to respond to quickly... but I think that's an odd element of our relationship and wouldn't work for everyone.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Here's some recommendations on fixing the saliva problem from cancer.org - maybe even just trying different ways to fix that could make him feel better.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivo ... ick-saliva

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
The smell is fucking TERRIBLE!!! Yeah, I've tried doing a pad thai with fish sauce... never again. But I don't even know what culture is into fish sauce, it seems to be everywhere. Isn't fish sauce in Europe? Or is that rotten fish?
Here in Nice we have Pissalat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissalat

A remnant of our Roman "colonialists", it seems. Bloody delicious in Pissaladière.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:

A remnant of our Roman "colonialists", it seems. Bloody delicious in Pissaladière.
That actually doesn't sound too bad, and I'm not a fan of fish. I was thinking also about Worcestershire sauce - that's anchovies, isn't it? British as fuck. Although that smells pretty sweet.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Hi Renee,

Sorry to hear your matey's having such a tough time of it. My MIL had lung cancer which was high up in her lung and she needed radiation and chemo. Her mouth became so sore she could not eat, so the doc swabbed it and found she had thrush, though she had no obvious signs of it. She was given Fluconazole. She was also given Difflam and Gelclair, and the cancer nurse told her to try 8 ounces of warm water with a teaspoon of baking soda stirred in. She switched from a toothbrush to mouth swabs to clean her teeth (the ones without alcohol). Ice lollies also helped, when it started to heal.

Make sure your man has a swab to see whether he has an infection (which could be bacterial, fungal or viral) from what we here told.

I am in the UK, so not sure whether these meds have different names over there. Hope things improve for him soon.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Fish sauce, of the kind used in Thai food, is really there to give a salty taste to the dish, to boost the flavor overall rather than give it a 'fish' taste. I just checked the fish sauce we have in our cupboard and it's 29% salt.
In the far east many countries will use soy sauce instead of fish sauce but both are really mainly there to provide salt to the meal ingredients.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:

That actually doesn't sound too bad, and I'm not a fan of fish. I was thinking also about Worcestershire sauce - that's anchovies, isn't it? British as fuck. Although that smells pretty sweet.
I am actually allergic to fish. No, scrap that, to cooked fish. I can eat it raw or in marinades, but present me a cooked fish, and I'll get plaques all over. Might be psychosomatic.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:

I am actually allergic to fish. No, scrap that, to cooked fish. I can eat it raw or in marinades, but present me a cooked fish, and I'll get plaques all over. Might be psychosomatic.
If it's all in you're head, maybe you just need to feel like you're in a safe plaice.

decius

Post by decius »

rayshul wrote:
The Romans had garum and liquamen (lit. sewage), which were indeed made of decayed fish internal organs.
Now the closest you get to that one is a type of fermented herring - fashionable in Scandinavia - whose smell is so putrid that is beyond description. I was once some 12 meters away from a person opening a jar on a moderately breezy lake shore and it felt like being locked in a sceptic tank.
I forgot its name, but here's more about garum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garum

decius

Post by decius »

LOL, a "sceptic tank".

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

I actually just saw this on Reddit and thought of you guys. Apparently ICEE's are really good for helping with the saliva, if that's possible for him to have.

http://www.angel34.org/programs_icee.php

jg64

Post by jg64 »

decius wrote:
rayshul wrote:
The Romans had garum and liquamen (lit. sewage), which were indeed made of decayed fish internal organs.
Now the closest you get to that one is a type of fermented herring - fashionable in Scandinavia - whose smell is so putrid that is beyond description. I was once some 12 meters away from a person opening a jar on a moderately breezy lake shore and it felt like being locked in a sceptic tank.
Surströmming?

decius

Post by decius »

That's it, thanks.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

jg64 wrote:
decius wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Surströmming?
And Lutefisk and Rakfisk.

Scandinavians are weird! ;)

Renee, I have nothing to offer except that you are in my thoughts. Hang in there!

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

decius wrote:LOL, a "sceptic tank".
Now, now. Don't start hatin' on 'merkins again.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Greta Christina is the guest on TTA with Seth. Seth's top comment (he's the author):

TheThinkingAtheist 9 hours ago

Some have asked why I didn't ask Greta about Atheism+. There's one reason: I've taken great pains to keep the Atheism+ shoutfest far away from TTA. In my opinion, any lofty Atheism+ goals are crushed under the drama, division and rage porn on both sides of the debate.

I do like Greta's book, "Why Are You So Angry," I enjoyed her speech on that topic, and she's never been anything but kind and generous to me in our discussions. I appreciate her appearing on the show.

Tfoot

Post by Tfoot »

Well I LOLed hard at carriers epic buthurtt.
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/dbugforums/ya ... ou-11.jpeg

It would of course been easier for him to pass this off as some valiant and ethically motivated action of a white knight, had it not been for the fact that it was served in an ebegging for upvotes sandwich.

Yup, carriers facebook message before "PLEASE UPVOTE MY VIDEO"
His message at the end of his "Thunderfoot hates everything' post "PLEASE UPVOTE MY VIDEO.

For me though, its all just a token of how finished FTBs is. What was the effect of carriers 8000 word essay, and the two blog posts by myers pointing to carriers video. Almost nothing. By my estimate their strongest punch changed the voting by ~1%, from 75% disaaproval, to 74 % disapproval. How influential the 'intellectual artillery' of atheism plus is!
Interestingly enough, almost the only point carrier chose not to address in any way was my claim that the tfoot channel drew in more traffic that the entire of freethoughtblogs. :D

The one thing that really made me laugh though was my typical video script is about 3 pages long (10 min video). Carriers faceplant blog was ~15 pages long.

Deep down i suspect carrier saw his speech at the American Atheists convention as his shot at 'the big time', and to have people say what they think about his speech on a venue his 'intellectual artillery' cannot just airbrush out is just too much for his 'deliberate tour de force' ego to take.

This is the fundamental lesson that I learned a LONG time ago, and though everyone who got on the internet understood. The path of virtue is also the path of necessity. That is its virtuous to let you detractors say whatever they want about you to your face. Its also a necessity, as if you try to stop them, they will simply move to a forum you cannot control, and will criticize you for being a censoring douche as well as everything else.
Take a look at carriers blog. He will not allow you comments to be seen unless he approves them, and not only that, if they are critical, they only appear if he decides to write a final word, to which you have no right of reply. Its almost embarrassing how many times he mysteriously gets the last word.

I think this is the real reason why carrier is so monsterously butthurt over this. He's just not used to people being able to say what they really think about him without him simply being able to delete it.

These are three of the more interesting exchanges:

kevinsolway
April 11, 2013 at 12:38 pm (UTC -7)
Publicly diagnosing people with mental illnesses are we?

Clearly you’ve chosen not to take the moral high ground!

Just don’t play the victim when someone does the same thing to you in the future.

I believe Jesus once said “You reap what you sow”.

Richard Carrier
April 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm (UTC -7)
Raising public concern about the possibility of it, yes.

And it’s right and proper that we should. See my remarks on this point upthread."

*Remind FTB about that the next time they complain that someone called them a psycho! Its not a facile ad hom, its right and proper to draw attention to their 'mental condition'

AND.. on not creepily hunting for dox
"45.2

Ace of Sevens
April 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm (UTC -7)
Thunderf00t teaches chemistry at Columbia, but I beleive he is currently on sabbatical. As for TJ, Martin Magner and PZ wrote about it when it happened. No time to look it up now, I’m at work.

Richard Carrier
April 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm (UTC -7)
Not unless he is using an assumed name there (or Phil Mason isn’t in fact his real name). There is no such person anywhere in the Columbia faculty directory. And certainly not in their chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry or biology departments…)."

and

other dave
April 11, 2013 at 12:24 am (UTC -7) Link to this comment
How salient to your argument is it that you name who Thunderf00t is in real life?

So why add that?

Richard Carrier
April 11, 2013 at 10:32 am (UTC -7)
Because his reputation matters. We should not allow the world to be consequence free. This is not some random anonymous dude. This is not a rebel hiding in an oppressive state. This is not a whistleblower. This is a named scientist. That’s public knowledge. He can no longer hide that fact, or from the consequences of what he says. And you shouldn’t want him to.

Oh, how that would gel so well with FTBs pro-wiki leaks stance!
The irony of how FTB defend certain anonymity, unless its critical of them in which case hunting for and publicizing their docs and targeting the person (not what they say) is all "fair game"!

AnonymousCowherd

Dick Strawkins wrote:Fish sauce, of the kind used in Thai food, is really there to give a salty taste to the dish, to boost the flavor overall rather than give it a 'fish' taste. I just checked the fish sauce we have in our cupboard and it's 29% salt.
In the far east many countries will use soy sauce instead of fish sauce but both are really mainly there to provide salt to the meal ingredients.
Not really the taste that's the problem with fish sauce. And the manufacturers don't make easy by making the tops of the bottles un-resealable, so either the 'frig or the entire kitchen honks like a goose with the splats no matter how you try to stop it.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Eskarina wrote:
jg64 wrote:
Surströmming?

We're really, really sorry. All those long dark winters got to us, the fish was there, and things just got out of hand…

decius

Post by decius »

In 1981 a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate.

German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before."

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

rayshul wrote:
tamerlane wrote:

What kind of fish sauce did you use? Or rather what brand? I just checked my bottle of fish sauce (Squid Brand; Peezus should have a laugh), and it smells strongly of salt, a bit like an old hard cheese. Tastes mainly salty, too. As Dick Strawkins already pointed out both fish and soy sauce are used to salt dishes in Asia.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
jg64 wrote:
Surströmming?

We're really, really sorry. All those long dark winters got to us, the fish was there, and things just got out of hand…
Sorry, I should have added "and wonderful". In my humble experience.

As long as they don't try to make me eat lutefisk, rakfisk or surströmming. :lol:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I actually like lutefisk, but maybe the version we get here in the US is toned down somehow.

What does seem to smell a bit off, however, is why in the world Rebecca Watson would be invited to speak at an International Festival of Science Documentary Films:

http://skepchick.org/2013/04/events-upd ... meplosion/

I can't imagine what insights, background, or experience she could possibly have that would contribute to the topic.

AnonymousCowherd

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Then subsitute tapenade (sans anchovy) for the pissalat on your pissaladiere. Zhooze up the tapenade with plenty of herbs (chervil is good, and dill) and a spot of smoky chipotle and you are good to go. A glass of rose, a salade of roquette with a lime and avocado oil dressing, and you have my dinner this evening.

Well, you dont, actually, have it...

O fuck. I'm turning into PhPhPhPhysioProfee-ee-etc

Look! Moby Dick! (not a fish!)

sacha

Post by sacha »

KiwiInOz wrote:
sacha wrote:
don't worry, luv
We are waiting.

What are they?

Will we measure up?

you are the only man for me, it fits like a glove.
bundaberg.jpg
(18.07 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

BarnOwl wrote:I actually like lutefisk, but maybe the version we get here in the US is toned down somehow.

What does seem to smell a bit off, however, is why in the world Rebecca Watson would be invited to speak at an International Festival of Science Documentary Films:

I can't imagine what insights, background, or experience she could possibly have that would contribute to the topic.
I guess the Czechs are a bit out of the loop, Watson-wise.

They have excellent beer, though.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Eskarina wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
jg64 wrote:
Surströmming?

Sorry, I should have added "and wonderful". In my humble experience.

As long as they don't try to make me eat lutefisk, rakfisk or surströmming. :lol:
I can write you a note that you're officially exempt, that you can use in an emergency ;)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Knowing Tf00t reads here I was going to ask him when he's going to like one of my videos, but I know his likely answer.

"When you make a good one."

Thanks F00t.

AnonymousCowherd

decius wrote:
In 1981 a German landlord evicted a tenant without notice after the tenant spread surströmming brine in the apartment building's staircase. When the landlord was taken to court, the court ruled that the termination was justified when the landlord's party demonstrated their case by opening a can inside the courtroom. The court concluded that it "had convinced itself that the disgusting smell of the fish brine far exceeded the degree that fellow-tenants in the building could be expected to tolerate.

German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before."
When Lutefisk is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Lutefisk! A bumper sticker seen around Seattle in the 1980s

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Over on A+, Eowyn lets rip with an amusing bit of snark at a certain moderator.....

Betting there will be a warning in her future.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

BarnOwl wrote:I actually like lutefisk, but maybe the version we get here in the US is toned down somehow.

Smooth transition there! :clap:

I have to think that she will soon have burnt enough bridges that most people will be able to see the light on the horizon.

She reminds me of my brother's ex-wife, and how they would have a new set of friends every year or so, on account of the old ones having told her to fuck off.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Eskarina wrote:
rayshul wrote:
tamerlane wrote:

What kind of fish sauce did you use? Or rather what brand? I just checked my bottle of fish sauce (Squid Brand; Peezus should have a laugh), and it smells strongly of salt, a bit like an old hard cheese. Tastes mainly salty, too. As Dick Strawkins already pointed out both fish and soy sauce are used to salt dishes in Asia.
Dudette! I live 50 meters from the seashore. Iodine and salt is my everyday flavor!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... 6778ee.jpg

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Looks like the Rehtaeh Parson's case is going to recap the Steubenville case:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/anonymous- ... sts-names/

It's already being called the "Canadian Steubenville." The difference in this case is that the girl has committed suicide after a prolonged period of online bullying. Anonymous has determined two of the suspected rapist's names:
We encourage you to act fast. If we were able to locate these boys within 2 hours, it will not be long before someone else finds them.

We do not approve of vigilante justice as the media claims.
They don't approve vigilante justice, but warn that "others" will find the names soon as well. If that's not an implied threat, what is?

I'm very ambivalent about this. I'm all for cracking down on a lax justice system, but first of all you should have prior evidence that the justice system in question is lax or unreliable. Otherwise, you really are agitating for vigilante justice, no matter how you protest that description.

AnonymousCowherd

Maybe it's not made from cod? I'm told that smalles the worst by some distance.

As for RW, as I've said before, some people are invited to conferences solely on their (perceived) profile, not on the basis of their expertise. Doesn't work for "science" stuff, but anything else, it's all about column inches (and, in this respect at least, RW is a real "size queen").

Scented Nectar

Big Penis Post

Post by Scented Nectar »

TedDahlberg wrote:
I've saved a link and will wait for a good time to use it ;)
Like my birthday or xmas? And you'll use it as a guide for what to buy me from the adult toys shop down the road?

Gee, you guys swell. I mean, gee, you guys are swell! :)

bovarchist wrote:What struck me about Taslima's piece was how she blithely assumes that her tastes are also the tastes of Woman, and any woman whose tastes may be different is either lying to spare her partner's feelings, or been brainwashed by Small Penis Warriors (tm).
yeah, she's also wrong. The majority of women like an average size penis. They are afraid a large one going to hurt. Size Queens are not that common with women.
TMI Trigger Warning:
I'd hate to be a mere commoner anyways. Heheh. I must admit being a penis size queen. Below the waist that is. For oral however, the smaller the better. It's like a compensation prize for smaller guys. Guys who are sad that their penises are small, can at least take comfort in knowing that they're getting better quality blowjobs than large guys. More room to do mindblowing* things to it with the tongue.

*MINDblowing? well, whatever...
Doesn't match my livinge experience (as a blowjobed, not a blowjober). Yes, if you must ask, I have a huge cock. What? You didn't ask? Oh, never mind, then.
I didn't need to ask. You mentioned it once, and I remember thinking at the time "I'll bet he's telling the truth, not just bragging". :)

Most guys of every size love BJs, but from my admittedly anecdotal experiences, I think smaller-to-average guys get better quality from me than larger guys. There would be no real way of comparing them though, since no guy has both a small one and a big one. Can't ask him which of his penises gets better ones.

TMI Trigger Warning:
I'd hate to be a mere commoner anyways. Heheh. I must admit being a penis size queen. Below the waist that is.
the men you know have a penis above the waist?
Hahahahah! Perhaps I should have been more explicit. I'm referring to the men I know having their penises below MY waist. But I think you knew that.
sacha wrote:
don't worry, luv
No worries. I was joking about regretting it later. As for your preferences, if it involves those multiple men + 1 woman scenarios, like in the pics you posted a little while back, please, please share away!

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
rayshul wrote:
tamerlane wrote:

Dudette! I live 50 meters from the seashore. Iodine and salt is my everyday flavor!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... 6778ee.jpg
Dude! Awesome. But you're not rayshul. Or are you? :think:

Or did you just want to show off? ;)

But seriously, it's awesome.

Post by Guest »

Tfoot wrote:Take a look at carriers blog. He will not allow you comments to be seen unless he approves them, and not only that, if they are critical, they only appear if he decides to write a final word, to which you have no right of reply. Its almost embarrassing how many times he mysteriously gets the last word.
Do you actually have any direct evidence of this or is it just a "reasonable inference"? Fwiw, a few of the things you wrote seem to be of the "tf00t is a sociopath" kind (though obviously not the same in intensity) to me - attempts to psychoanalyze from a distance.
Hunt wrote:I'm very ambivalent about this. I'm all for cracking down on a lax justice system, but first of all you should have prior evidence that the justice system in question is lax or unreliable. Otherwise, you really are agitating for vigilante justice, no matter how you protest that description.
And there are better ways to go about it even if you believe that to be the case. Claiming you don't like vigilante justice then setting up the conditions for that very thing is meaningless. I guess I'll borrow the phrase "intent is not magic" here.

AnonymousCowherd

sacha wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
We are waiting.

What are they?

Will we measure up?

you are the only man for me, it fits like a glove.
bundaberg.jpg
Oh the shame. Bundy used to be awl 'Straylyun. It tasted like furniture polish, but it was our furniture polish, and it's sole purpose (at least in the OP form) was as a chaser to the local, almost completely tasteless, beer. Bought out by the Poms and what do we get - lashings of Bundy bloody ginger fucking beer.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

acathode wrote:

Ye gods.
They have had them for months. Also the Non-Stamp-Collector has left and before him the Blue Collar Atheist. Soon they will down hiring the people from eHow to write blogs.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Eskarina wrote:
Or did you just want to show off? ;)

But seriously, it's awesome.
Just showing off, to be honest.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Didn't she make an amazing discovery about the death of a famous figure on scientific history, Galileo? :D

Has she ever given a talk in Europe that wasn't simply completely embarrassing?

The Dublin panel in 2011(elevatorgate!), the German skeptic meeting last year (evolutionary psychology.......booooorrrring!), and even the talk she gave at the Danish atheist meeting in 2010.
That latter talk was the first time I'd heard her speak at lenght. I'd previously been a listener to SGU from the beginnin and so I just knew of her as a snarky joker. Her talk, however, showed a quite nasty side to her personality.
Watch the following link where she behaves in a rather disgusting manner to a woman fan of hers who writes to the show to point out the problems with skeptics begging for money.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1099866

http://i.imgur.com/S0Ye5W8.jpg