Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Lsuoma »

karlaporter wrote:The only place her behavior seems the norm is in entertainment where tattle tale gossip is common.
QFT. This is where Twatson, Hensley, FeeFee, &c. would all really love to be - in the spotlight for no other reason than who they are, and not for what they do.

I've pointed out before that Twason is a sub-Kardashian wannabe.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: Justicar is making the argument that statements are either harmful by their nature (i.e. opinions don't come into it), or that "hurtful" is, in effect, a judgement made about a statement (i.e. it's "subjective"). If the latter, and you disallow any "hurtful" statement, you are hostage to the most sensitive persons feelings (or, at least, their reported feelings).
They need to start playing by teh Men'z rules - e.g., on a road trip, it's the strongest bladder that controls pit-stops, not the weakest.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Funny...from another forum I share with Caine:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/dw_adam ... er_rnr.png

codelette

Post by codelette »

Damn, even La Hensley abandoned Sister Ellen on Twitter. Is that the way the sisterhood works? You are vagina sisters until you say something that goes against Peezus scripture. That shit just too funny.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Apples wrote: [snip]
Welcome, and fuck off.
:)

This ritual of welcoming newcomers to the Slymepit with "fuck off!" kind of reminds me of a hilarious scene from the movie Time Bandits. After Robin Hood welcomes a poor person and provides some riches, he or she sent on their way by one of Robin Hood's men slugging the person in the face . :D

Here you go, on your way. WHAM!

[youtube]167IhlXnN2Y[/youtube]

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Stretchycheese wrote:
Apples wrote: [snip]
Welcome, and fuck off.
:)

This ritual of welcoming newcomers to the Slymepit with "fuck off!" kind of reminds me of a hilarious scene from the movie Time Bandits. After Robin Hood welcomes a poor person and provides some riches, he or she sent on their way by one of Robin Hood's men slugging the person in the face . :D

Here you go, on your way. WHAM!
Argh, the embedding didn't work. Here's he link anyway:

LMU

Post by LMU »

bovarchist wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Also anyone here Bovarchist? He is now banned to the Lymepit by PeeZuss Christ.
-raises hand-

I lurk here from time to time, just joined. I never even noticed I'd been banned because I never bother checking back after making a comment. I know it would only upset me.

So...anyone have a screencap of what I said?
Hello and welcome!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

EllenBeth Wachs for Witch of the Week ~

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Altair wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
(this reminds me about Spain and what happens when you give Spanish women incentives without repercussions. There is talk about hauling Government Ministers to stand trial in the Hague now. Dunno how that is going to work out though.)
Hi, Andrew.
I was watching a video about the Spain situation, and since the south-american culture is closely related to spanish culture, I find it very interesting and slightly disturbing. Do you have more info on the Hague trial thing?
I do not have much unfortunately. My Spanish is very weak never mind my trying to understand Catalan. This has been ongoing for a few years though:

Catalan Grandfather Association for Joint Custody
https://petemorris.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... catalonia/

La Asociación de abuelos por la custodia compartida (ASACC) de Cataluña
http://custodiapaterna.blogspot.ca/2011 ... or-la.html

Try these Spanish language sites to get a flavor for what has been happening:
http://ayudaafamiliasseparadas.es/
http://www.abuelosseparadosdesusnietos.org

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Before I forget, was this the video?

[youtube]GjgBfklmYj8[/youtube]

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote:Before I forget, was this the video?

[youtube]GjgBfklmYj8[/youtube]
Yes, exactly that one. Someone posted it on one of the facebook groups I belong to. Maybe with the judge talking about the misuse of the law being female, people will listen.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Oh, and thank you for the links, I forgot to say that in the previous post.

welch

Post by welch »

tina wrote:Nerd of Redhead
22 March 2013 at 6:46 pm
Bla bla bla ........"Your opinion is negated with another opinion, and then refuted with many other regulars opinions. Get it?"

Er.....run that by me again. Does she come from Craggy Island?
That entire lot is just a real-time lord of the flies re-enactment

Barael

Post by Barael »

From the thread that keeps on giving, I think this is priceless:
[meta]

Enough with the echo-chamber group-think going on here!

;)
So apparently their epic baboon-on-baboon meltdown simply shows the lack of merit of criticisms about groupthink / echo chambers!

Indeed John Morales; you are good, your comment thread is good and you should feel good about yourselves!

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

comslave wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
Yes well, I feel for him of course. But the conversation wasn't about him, it was about her. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Her ignorance or willful defiance of protocol makes her a serious risk to any employer regardless of its mission. Someone may feel empathetic toward her and give her an opportunity but I don't think that would be a smart move for any organization, even a feminist activist one. The only place her behavior seems the norm is in entertainment where tattle tale gossip is common.
I feel that when you give women the benefit of the doubt, you're really treating them like children. "She didn't know better" is another way of saying she's too stupid to know better.

I'll grant that adults do stupid things. But in this case she was especially conscious that she was a woman in a male sphere. She knew ahead of time there was going to be "bro-speak" because she's been there before. She's even spoken this way herself (hypocrite much?) This was not her first conference.

But now we're waiting for the other shoe to fall. It would be interesting to be an observer at the next tech conference. I foresee guys keeping a very wide berth between them and the women attendees. Or possibly a drop in the number of women invited to attend such conferences. Maybe employers will subtly send their male employees only to such conferences.

But one thing is clear about tech in general. There has never been an "all women" tech company of any size (maybe some small web development company, but I haven't heard of any). But there have been many all men tech companies. If the women who come into tech all decide that that thing to do is burn the place down, they won't be invited back. While I expect men to behave professionally and in a civilized manner, I also expect the same of women. It won't take many women like Adria to ruin it for all women.
I agree with most of your point of view. To clarify - I do not just give women the benefit of the doubt. I give it to all people.

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:Another SJW-motivated argument. Documented here because, it seems to me, this is going to become like one of those tired, old theist arguments. Might as well start practicing deconstructing it, and arguing against it. Consider this fodder. Pretend it's not erikthebassist, but some random person you just met online, and they spout this argument. What would be some good responses to it?
312 erikthebassist March 21, 2013 at 5:05 am
-We’re social animals. We’re empowered by forming communities. We need communities. The a/s community is worth maintaining.
If the only thing I have in common with you is a lack of belief in God(s), then I’m not likely to be able to identify with or communicate with you. There has to be more common ground to form a basis for communication.

Most of us are also skeptics, there’s some additional common ground. We pretty much universally reject alt-med and CAM, Deepak Chopra and Kenn Hamm. We abhor Jenny McCarthy and the AVN, Dr Oz and Julia Brown right?

So there you have a movement, people who put scientific skepticism above all else, but it’s not the kind of movement that is going to change government, it can only dream of legitimate lobbying power.

To me the question is, how do you create a movement? How do you get large numbers of people to join hands and simultaneously say “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!”

Well, you certainly don’t do it by excluding or marginalizing large groups of people who also happen to identify with social or political causes that you disagree with. Do you want an ideologically pure movement? Or do you want a movement that’s capable of creating real change in the world?

News flash, liberals cleaned house in the last election. Progressive politics are on the upswing and any atheist or skeptic worth their salt should be able recognize that as a good thing when the alternative is the theocracy proposed by the right wing.

Feminism is part and parcel of the liberal left’s platform. The A / S movements have a chance to bolster the chances of a radical change in the way governments operate, but alienating feminists and liberals is not going to help in that fight, it’s only going to help the theocrats.

I admit that was fully geocentric of me, and many see this fight as part of a bigger picture, globally speaking. I can only advocate for change in my own political sphere.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/20 ... ent-204087
I stopped reading anything he says for the same reason I rarely, if ever, read oolio's shit: they are constantly disingenuous. The first time you try to engage them on a point they made, they skitter away or change what they're saying. It's like playing catch with a jell-o ball. They only care about being able to declare "victory", and given how they define that word, they will always declare victory. So I save myself a lot of time and trouble.

windy

Re: "Devil Anse" Made Me Do It

Post by windy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
codelette wrote: Where do you think the McCoys came from? 8-)
Yeah, yeah, ok, alright, fine, fine. I'll just get back to my cave and think of better jokes to make (I've felt a bit down, lately).
Prolly not a good time to pun-joust with me, then.
Not if you expect to win, at least.
You *could* claim "non-first-language-privilege", and that would be a 'slam dunk' for you in A+Theism eyes.
You could always chuck your first-language privilege and have a pun contest in French.

Did you hear about the French marine mammalogist who got accused of sexual harassment at a conference? He wouldn't stop talking about phoques.

...no? I'll get me coat.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Just saw this comment by Arbor at PZ's regarding the Adria Richards drama:

I have never heard of Ellen Beth before.

I don’t give a damn about what else she has supposedly done.

I don’t care who her enemies are.

Her behavior in this thread has been inexcusable.

I am now an enemy of hers.
Perhaps someone can point this to Nugent. Arbor's post typifies one of the ugliest aspects of the FTB crowd's ideological dogmatism. That is, there uncompromising intolerant tribalistic "othering" attitude towards anyone who expresses dissent or a different point of view than theirs. It's like the "think the way I do are you are enemy" attitude we some Carrier a while back when he advocated for Atheism+. This is what Paula Kirby meant from her article "Sisterhood of the Oppressed" when she observed their tendency to consign dissenters as persona non grata.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:Dislike linking to HuffPo but here's a nice post about why women don't go into STEM careers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/2 ... 23388.html
That makes no small amount of sense.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

welch wrote: I stopped reading anything he says for the same reason I rarely, if ever, read oolio's shit: they are constantly disingenuous. The first time you try to engage them on a point they made, they skitter away or change what they're saying. It's like playing catch with a jell-o ball. They only care about being able to declare "victory", and given how they define that word, they will always declare victory. So I save myself a lot of time and trouble.
In the case of Ooley, I'm pretty sure that if you kicked him the knackers, he'd crow about how successful he was in assaulting your foot with his testicles.

welch

Post by welch »

Guest wrote:
Dilurk wrote:I feel badly for EllenBeth Wachs. No one deserves to be bullied. I detested it when I saw Blu being bullied, it was part of the reason I found the 'pit in the first place, I will not be silent and watch someone else being unfairly bullied.
You have to put it all at the feet of Myers though. It's happening on his blog, and it's his responsibility. But the thing is, I've come to the conclusion that Myers actually enjoys watching people rip each other's throats out. He's the classic sadistic provocateur. He likes watching things burn. He's the guy who sidles up to someone he dislikes and say "Psst. I've heard your girlfriend is sleeping around," then watches on in glee as the fight ensues. It's not going to stop when someone he "respects" crosses him. He's already demonstrated that his colossal ego won't allow him to pause for that. It's only going to stop when someone who has some financial power over him tells him to cease and desist. And unfortunately, that may be never.

Oh it'll happen. You think FTB is going to suddenly start making money? They have almost no idea how to run a business, and it shows in brayton's careening about in an attempt to make money.

Altair

Post by Altair »

rayshul wrote:Dislike linking to HuffPo but here's a nice post about why women don't go into STEM careers.

That's an interesting article, although the comments surprised me. I thought they were going to grab the "more women than men have both good math skills and good verbal skills" and run with it, but they instead keep putting themselves in the victim mindspace

I found this comment particularly interesting
I have the same problem. They want you to do anything other than be their competition and yes, sexism is very strong in the STEM fields. Also, no one pushes you to become an expert in anything. By asking you to teach, or do various different roles it keeps you from becoming an expert. Thanks for saying it.
If this person is expecting someone else to "push them" to become an expert in anything, it's no surprise that they're staying behind.
But of course it can't be a lack of ambition and an inability to self motivate and run their own lives, it has to be someone else's fault, and of course, sexism. Blargh.

welch

Post by welch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Isn't Zvan one of the feminists who insisted that conferences needed anti-harassment policies? Now many online feminists(McEwan being one of them)are saying that Richards had to go public because when women confront men or take their complaints up the chain of command, nothing gets done. So why have these policies in the first place if their useless and never to be utilized?
It is about power, but not over the individual conference goers involved - they're just cannon fodder. The first exercise of power is getting the policy you want, in the form you want it. Then you use it to control the organisation, as in "you said in your policy you'd throw out people I don't like, and I don't like s/h/it, so throw them out or I'll have a heart attack...and it will be messy. Then I'll make such a stink of your failure to implement your own organisation's rules that you will be replaced." Win.

For a lot of these people, that's the only sort of power they want, or can even imagine. The power to do something worthwhile, or substantial comes with both work and responsiblity - much too hard.
I think you're somewhat closer to the truth, but to be honest, I never understood why Zvain et al would want things codified, that doesn't work well for them.

If you have a set of rules, written down, available for all to see, then the problem for Zvain is, she loses a lot of power. Because now there are rules, formal ones. They are specific, they are real, there is no "you know what I mean" anymore, and they apply equally to all. It is clear to me that my last item never crosses her mind when she's advocating this. The idea that Zvain would be expected to follow the same rules as the proles is never something that occurs to her, or any of those other tits. They should be the LAST people advocating a formal ruleset for behavior at conferences, as that kind of thing eviscerates their ability to win based on vague accusations with no proof.

That I think is one reason why EBW is getting raked over the coals. Look at her statement. She was pretty clear that not only the accused had to follow the rules, but the accuser as well. Had she stated that in a way that said the accused was always going to get reamed, I don't think the reaction would have been as bad, because that's what the FTB lot really wants: accusation as conviction, no proof necessary. EBW, for her faults, has had some training as a lawyer and at least in that arena, is not stupid. She understands that when you create a code of conduct, it has to apply to everyone under its domain equally, otherwise you leave yourself open to some rather inconvenient action.

She's also seeing just how unwilling the FTB lot are to follow the rules they insist on being made and posted.

welch

Post by welch »

comslave wrote:To any FTB lurkers here, regarding Adria Richards: She was NOT fired for being an "uppity woman". She was fired because she ignored the officially posted complaint procedure to use "naming and shaming" instead.

She harmed ALL women trying to work in STEM fields by fulfilling the "shrill bitch" stereotype many people have of women these days.

Her actions will result in women not being hired and women being avoided at conferences because you can now never trust them not to post anything you say on the internet. They may even just make stuff up, or hear what they wanted to hear, which may have been the case here.

She is not a feminist hero, nor a martyr. She's just a bitch who got fired for being a bitch. That is all.
That's why I think her employer posting the exact reason why was rather smart.

welch

Post by welch »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:From: freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/03/21/a-reminder/comment-page-1/#comment-584374
http://www.scentednectar.com/slimepit/00017.png
So PZ wants "the oppressed" to leave or avoid their "sanctuary" and come over to Pharyngula so they can be "rhetorically armed" and "inflamed". (No witch hunts there though). I'm sure the Shakers will be delighted to hear you think they are making women in to passive victims instead of mighty warriors in the Battle of the Sexes Genders.

So after you make rhetorical ninjas out of them PZ, what then? They join the Hive and joust with the merry japesters among the regulars, or become part of the once mighty Whored and go forth to get their arses kicked in the real world? Sounds like a million laughs, I don't know why they aren't signing up in droves.

Video of PeeZus making his rhetorical ninjas. Complete with 'pitter interference:

[youtube]bcokL59jeqU[/youtube]

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

SpokesGay to EllenBeth Wachs:
I think I know what happened there and why. It's hard and complicated.
It's not hard and it's not complicated; it's just something that josh can't say on a public tweet - that you failed to put your personal feelings aside and follow the narrative.

https://twitter.com/SpokesGay/status/315296827333283840

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Skeeve wrote: Also:
Is this who I think it is?
http://talkrational.org/member.php?u=78
Following a link to an old homepage, they live within 20 miles of his area, is an atheist, and on his "Oloon's list of Useful links" there is mention of Scepticism and Freethought, so could well be.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Pharyngula's Cerberus is taking lack of reading comprehension and projection to a whole new level.

Golliblog makes this reasonable and calm comment
Before the PYCON Code of Conduct was amended it said:

“Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording … ”

Clearly Adria Richards’ behavior in taking a picture that features the faces of dozens of men, only a couple of whom she had a grievance with, then putting it up on the Web with a range of unproven accusations after the grievance had already been dealt with by PYCON constituted harassing behavior as defined by the PYCON Code of Conduct.

Richards’ behaved in an unethical manner, breached the PYCON Code of Conduct and demonstrated an unusual degree of vindictiveness. Accordingly I think it is appropriate that she was fired.
And Cerberus reads it and comes back with this answer
What an unbelievably disingenuous gobshite you are.

I want you to do something for me. I want you to really look inside yourself and I want you to be brutally honest about what first pissed you off about Adria. Not what you’ve convinced yourself would sound like a noble reason that would have justified in your mind the rape and murder threats she has received.

But what personally drove you into needing to rationalize hating her when you first heard about it.

Be brutally honest and learn from it.

Or spend the rest of your life wondering why women seem to be repelled from you, friends never seem to stay as close as they should, and why everyone you seem to hang out with seems to be violent, hateful assholes.

Your choice.
They can only imagine two possibilities: he/she agrees with them, or he/she's lying/rationalizing. Golliblog gave the reasons why they thought Adria was in the wrong, and Cerberus turns it into Golliblog rationalizing hating Adria, and justifying death and rape threats.
And Cerberus should really take a look around and wonder who is it that is hanging out with violent hateful assholes. The answer might shock them.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

welch wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Isn't Zvan one of the feminists who insisted that conferences needed anti-harassment policies? Now many online feminists(McEwan being one of them)are saying that Richards had to go public because when women confront men or take their complaints up the chain of command, nothing gets done. So why have these policies in the first place if their useless and never to be utilized?
It is about power, but not over the individual conference goers involved - they're just cannon fodder. The first exercise of power is getting the policy you want, in the form you want it. Then you use it to control the organisation, as in "you said in your policy you'd throw out people I don't like, and I don't like s/h/it, so throw them out or I'll have a heart attack...and it will be messy. Then I'll make such a stink of your failure to implement your own organisation's rules that you will be replaced." Win.

For a lot of these people, that's the only sort of power they want, or can even imagine. The power to do something worthwhile, or substantial comes with both work and responsiblity - much too hard.
I think you're somewhat closer to the truth, but to be honest, I never understood why Zvain et al would want things codified, that doesn't work well for them.

If you have a set of rules, written down, available for all to see, then the problem for Zvain is, she loses a lot of power. Because now there are rules, formal ones. They are specific, they are real, there is no "you know what I mean" anymore, and they apply equally to all. It is clear to me that my last item never crosses her mind when she's advocating this. The idea that Zvain would be expected to follow the same rules as the proles is never something that occurs to her, or any of those other tits. They should be the LAST people advocating a formal ruleset for behavior at conferences, as that kind of thing eviscerates their ability to win based on vague accusations with no proof.

That I think is one reason why EBW is getting raked over the coals. Look at her statement. She was pretty clear that not only the accused had to follow the rules, but the accuser as well. Had she stated that in a way that said the accused was always going to get reamed, I don't think the reaction would have been as bad, because that's what the FTB lot really wants: accusation as conviction, no proof necessary. EBW, for her faults, has had some training as a lawyer and at least in that arena, is not stupid. She understands that when you create a code of conduct, it has to apply to everyone under its domain equally, otherwise you leave yourself open to some rather inconvenient action.

She's also seeing just how unwilling the FTB lot are to follow the rules they insist on being made and posted.
I was on the other side for that whole thing, and I agree with you entirely. The bloggers generally speaking didn't want harassment policies that laid out actual standards of behavior that they would be expected to follow. What they wanted is a complaint path for them and other in-group people to be able to use their relative fame, power and influence to remove undesirables. The excuse they gave was that laying out actual standards of behavior would allow harassers to "game" the system, although I think that's basically total BS.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
-raises hand-

I lurk here from time to time, just joined. I never even noticed I'd been banned because I never bother checking back after making a comment. I know it would only upset me.

Welcome, and fuck off.
http://i.imgur.com/sJm8CVb.jpg
Oh yeah, pointing out PeeZus has a tiny horde DEFINITELY gets you banned.

welch

Post by welch »

Skeeve wrote:Funny...from another forum I share with Caine:

wait, that fucker's in North Dakota?

Oh that explains so very much.

welch

Post by welch »

Stretchycheese wrote:Just saw this comment by Arbor at PZ's regarding the Adria Richards drama:

I have never heard of Ellen Beth before.

I don’t give a damn about what else she has supposedly done.

I don’t care who her enemies are.

Her behavior in this thread has been inexcusable.

I am now an enemy of hers.
Perhaps someone can point this to Nugent. Arbor's post typifies one of the ugliest aspects of the FTB crowd's ideological dogmatism. That is, there uncompromising intolerant tribalistic "othering" attitude towards anyone who expresses dissent or a different point of view than theirs. It's like the "think the way I do are you are enemy" attitude we some Carrier a while back when he advocated for Atheism+. This is what Paula Kirby meant from her article "Sisterhood of the Oppressed" when she observed their tendency to consign dissenters as persona non grata.
I hope anyone who supports PeeZus et al seeing this realizes that if they had any idea, any hint of an idea that because they're on the "right" side, that they're somehow not going to be a target, that any of those weasels are their allies or friends, sees that no. There are exactly two classes of people in FTB land:

1) Targets for attack, aka "Suppressive Persons/SPs"

2) People who are not yet Targets for attack, aka "Suppressive Persons/SPs"

and all it takes to become #1 on that list is to disagree with the horde. As I said on reap's podcast, the early example of this was Pepsigate, where you saw anyone saying "We should give the Pepsi folks a fair chance to succeed or fail on the merits of what they do on SciBlogs, not just arbitrarily shit on them because they work for PepsiCo" attacked as viciously as they are now attacking EBW.

Even *PZ* showed how it happens using actual baboon behavior in a post.

Ask Justin Griffith what happens when you display badthink over there. Or Don Kane.

They are grotty little people who cannot function without fresh gobbets. How generous of EBW to offer herself up as the latest sacrifice.

welch

Post by welch »

Altair wrote:

That's an interesting article, although the comments surprised me. I thought they were going to grab the "more women than men have both good math skills and good verbal skills" and run with it, but they instead keep putting themselves in the victim mindspace

I found this comment particularly interesting
I have the same problem. They want you to do anything other than be their competition and yes, sexism is very strong in the STEM fields. Also, no one pushes you to become an expert in anything. By asking you to teach, or do various different roles it keeps you from becoming an expert. Thanks for saying it.
If this person is expecting someone else to "push them" to become an expert in anything, it's no surprise that they're staying behind.
But of course it can't be a lack of ambition and an inability to self motivate and run their own lives, it has to be someone else's fault, and of course, sexism. Blargh.
Never read HuffPo comments.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

JayTeeAitch wrote:SpokesGay to EllenBeth Wachs:
I think I know what happened there and why. It's hard and complicated.
It's not hard and it's not complicated; it's just something that josh can't say on a public tweet - that you failed to put your personal feelings aside and follow the narrative.

https://twitter.com/SpokesGay/status/315296827333283840
Yep, unless you toe the line you will be attacked mercilessly. Facts are not relevant. The truth is the fist victim of ideology.

Post by Guest »

talisman card, Stretchycheese?

arent there much better options from mtg? http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... name=+[pit]

pass them around!

Post by Guest »

jg64

Post by jg64 »

jg64 wrote:
Following a link to an old homepage, they live within 20 miles of his area, is an atheist, and on his "Oloon's list of Useful links" there is mention of Scepticism and Freethought, so could well be.

On second thoughts, forget that. This Oloon told someone to "Go fuck you mommy some more." The Oloon we know would not use such offensive language.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Guest wrote:oops: http://bit.ly/YleLzY

Bah, not big enough for avatar use. :(

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Guest wrote:talisman card, Stretchycheese?

arent there much better options from mtg? http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... name=+[pit]

pass them around!
Talisman is one of my favourite games, so I'm sticking to it! :D

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Here are my thoughts on Donglegate - The Match That Lit Donglegate http://karlaporter.com/social-media/the ... donglegate

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Tigzy wrote:
welch wrote: I stopped reading anything he says for the same reason I rarely, if ever, read oolio's shit: they are constantly disingenuous. The first time you try to engage them on a point they made, they skitter away or change what they're saying. It's like playing catch with a jell-o ball. They only care about being able to declare "victory", and given how they define that word, they will always declare victory. So I save myself a lot of time and trouble.
In the case of Ooley, I'm pretty sure that if you kicked him the knackers, he'd crow about how successful he was in assaulting your foot with his testicles.

http://youtu.be/55DZDRrve6A?t=7m8s

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

On second thoughts, forget that. This Oloon told someone to "Go fuck you mommy some more." The Oloon we know would not use such offensive language.
I'm quite certain that's a different Oolon. There's an Oolon Colluphid who submitted a definition of Atheism Plus to the urban dictionary that the Oolon we know of likely wouldn't approve of.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bovarchist wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
-raises hand-

The Evidence:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-585263 The Judge & Jury, Trial and Conviction: The Sentence:

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Stretchycheese wrote:
jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

I'm quite certain that's a different Oolon. There's an Oolon Colluphid who submitted a definition of Atheism Plus to the urban dictionary that the Oolon we know of likely wouldn't approve of.

Yeah, reading through some of the posts from that link, I agree, I wonder whether he knows that someone near him has such a similar name.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Skeeve wrote:

Disruptive Pitmage has a nice ring to it

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Im ... &type=card

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Stretchycheese wrote:
jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

I only noticed it because of his location.
Oh, okay. This Oolon Colluphid is a less-than six-foot tall ape descendant who is proud of his ancestors and would invite them round to tea, if only they were not extinct. He is from a small place somewhere in the vicinity of Southampton, England (and not from Betelgeuse after all).

And someone is trying to drive a bypass through logic and reason. Oh, they'll wipe a couple of windows and charge you a fiver first, but they still want to knock down the results of the hundreds of years of rational inquiry known as science.

So Oolon is taking a stand. Or rather, a lie down, in front of the toy bulldozers they are using. I'm game. We'll see who rusts first.
Which is also shown with his interest in Hampshire education
http://oolon.awardspace.com/SACRE/HantsSACRE.htm

But, again, Caine's post history doesn't sound like her either.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

Lol oh yes he would...oh no he wouldn't..oh yes he would....

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Jack wrote:
jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

Lol oh yes he would...oh no he wouldn't..oh yes he would....
The Oolon we know is British, we don't say 'mommy' or 'mom'. Although we do use US speak sometimes.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

The other Oolon.

I don't know if he's from the UK though or if he's the same one from Talk Rational:

http://ooloncolluphid42.wordpress.com/2 ... out-there/
They say there is another guy with the same username as me out there

I learned something from the recent wfp+(white female privilege plus aka atheism plus) debacle. I am indeed the author of the definition on Urban Dictionary. I could have done worse and added more race baiting language like I just did.

Apparently this guy is some femi moron who goes by just Oolon. My user name comes from a book by the great late author Douglas Adams of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy . My user handle is coined after a character that he created named Oolon Colluphid, and the author of books on using the Babel fish to disprove god. I have no idea who this other moron is.

A bunch of frauds. Despite having atheist in its name it really isn't atheism at all. Their goal is to subvert atheism with the religion of feminist indoctrination and bitch about non existent misogyny.

To these people any legitimate questioning of feminists and female privilege is grounds for calling anyone a misogynist. Atheism Plus is really nothing more then an attempt at co-opting the meaning of atheism.
Atheism Plus is nothing more than dogmatic feminists trying to commandeer the atheist movement. This will set back Atheism for decades if these usurpers gain popularity.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Percentage wrote:Holy shit, that Shakesville post is fucking hilarious! Yes, kids, suddenly Adria Richards was a "victim of harassment", "bullying behavior", and "harassing fuckwads". For overhearing a "dongle" joke.

GodDAMN, and I thought PZ was hysterical.
Why was he carrying his dongle out in the open anyway!?!?!?! That's just CREEPY. Everybody knows that!

Of course she was uncomfortable hearing a dongle joke! What OTHER possible reason could there be to walk around a crowded convention, trying to point your dongle up women's skirts? PeeZus Christ, people!!!!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Stretchycheese wrote:The other Oolon.

I don't know if he's from the UK though or if he's the same one from Talk Rational:

I learned something from the recent wfp+(white female privilege plus aka atheism plus) debacle. I am indeed the author of the definition on Urban Dictionary. I could have done worse and added more race baiting language like I just did.

Apparently this guy is some femi moron who goes by just Oolon. My user name comes from a book by the great late author Douglas Adams of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy . My user handle is coined after a character that he created named Oolon Colluphid, and the author of books on using the Babel fish to disprove god. I have no idea who this other moron is.

A bunch of frauds. Despite having atheist in its name it really isn't atheism at all. Their goal is to subvert atheism with the religion of feminist indoctrination and bitch about non existent misogyny.

To these people any legitimate questioning of feminists and female privilege is grounds for calling anyone a misogynist. Atheism Plus is really nothing more then an attempt at co-opting the meaning of atheism.
Atheism Plus is nothing more than dogmatic feminists trying to commandeer the atheist movement. This will set back Atheism for decades if these usurpers gain popularity.
I think this came up before, a few weeks back.

Anyway Nugent's place has become a bit boring now. They are arguing about 'offence' which for me misses the whole point and gets us back to the start. If anyone thinks the reduction in swear words or the approval of 'acceptable words' is going to make the slightest bit of difference they are wrong. It's a form of thought policing religious extremists would be proud of.

PZM posts some of the most offensive and wilfully ignorant posts on the internet. His blog about PyCon is demonstrably misleading, highly non-skeptical and omits key elements while imparting motives that are simply unsupported. It reads like something I would expect from a Creationist. It makes no difference to me if he uses gendered slurs or not. He is spewing this rubbish and people are falling for it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Stretchycheese wrote:
jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

Assuming it's the same one, there was a poster going by that at the old IIDB forum. He (assuming the sex, it never came up IIRC and didn't matter back then) had pretty good arguments against the creationists and that ilk. It would be a shame if they were the same person.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Stretchycheese wrote:The other Oolon.

Shoulda read some more. Glad that it's not. Good on'ya OC.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

PZ Myers wrote:The Bovarchist slyme has been scraped off my shoe and deposited in the lymepit, where it belongs.
I thought referring to people as "it" was a Real Bad Thing? Once again, PZ makes the rules up as he goes.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

jg64 wrote:
jg64 wrote:

'Our' oolon, despite his deeming the use of specific words as cast iron proof of misogyny, only thinks this rule applies to others.
He is on record as calling his opponents, 'cunts'.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

welch wrote:
Skeeve wrote:Funny...from another forum I share with Caine:

wait, that fucker's in North Dakota?

Oh that explains so very much.
That is very likely Caine:
http://pharyngula.wikia.com/wiki/Caine, ... _mal[quote]
Caine is a regular commenter on Pharyngula, very outspoken gnu atheist with an incredibly low tolerance for assclowns and Cupcakes. (If you don't grok cupcake, see the memes section). Caine has even less tolerance for MRAs. She received an Order of the Molly in April of 2010.

Personal data: Old broad (53), native Southern Californian, now living rural in the wilds of North Dakota, Artist and Photographer, married 30+ years, owned by many animals, including two rats, Chas & Alfie. Voracious reader, highly eclectic taste when it comes to books. Enjoys gardening in a rather feral, half-assed manner. Naturally eccentric. Childfree, bisexual.

Favourite sig: OH. DRAMA. - Death, Reaper Man

Caine's photography sites are at http://caine.zenfolio.com/ and http://moblog.net/Caine/ [/quote]

tina

Post by tina »

doubtthat March 23, 2013 at 5:15
Having been around feminists evangelicals, they are legitimately offended by any argument, no matter how politely stated, that denies the truth or sanctity of Feminism The very notion that a woman could ever be responsible…etc. will offend them.

Thus, it cannot be that “offense” is all that matters. Consider Muslims who are offended by any depiction of Mohammed. It’s not hard to come up with examples, and their offense does not shut down our ability to criticize their views.

Thus, there has to be more. The importance of arguing against feminists is very high, and the burden placed on a critique by having to avoid any statement that in any way suggests that there is nothing divine about their vaginas is incredibly high. Thus, our need to criticize trumps their offense. If they call me a jerk or anti-feminist because of that, I happily accept that hate.

You cannot run the same test and arrive at the conclusion that saying “cunt” is super important, and if you do, expect to be called sexist.
I just changed a few words that's all. It's not really naughty. Don't talk to him anyway coz he's such a thick cunt, incapable of rational thought.

Post by Guest »

Skeeve wrote:
just there to locate the right 'pit' flavor, then you image search! :P
Stretchycheese wrote:
Guest wrote:talisman card, Stretchycheese?

pass them around!
Talisman is one of my favourite games, so I'm sticking to it! :D
can't blame you. i have all of the 2nd edition and all of the current (on loan to friends) and it's the most common thing we'll end up playing when physically hanging out. :D