Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Eskarina

Re: DONATIONS NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED

Post by Eskarina »

Southern wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:If you want to scatter cash, send it to Renee, or Operation Smile, or Abbie or whoever. Don't send anything my way.
Going above and beyond for Operation Smile would be awesome. You can never have too many smiles (Fluevogs, on the other hand...).
How dare you to compare the majesty of a beautiful pair of Fluevogs with the nastiness of some kids' smiles? Look at this:

http://i.imgur.com/BrSlzqq.jpg

OMGZ THE BEAUTY OF THIS IS BLINDING ME!
I always thought that fashion-, and especially shoe designers like that Louboutomy or Blah, are the original misogynists.

Who in their right set of mind would want to wear such an atrocity on their feet? Even concrete boots are preferable.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Eskarina wrote:
Southern wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:If you want to scatter cash, send it to Renee, or Operation Smile, or Abbie or whoever. Don't send anything my way.
Going above and beyond for Operation Smile would be awesome. You can never have too many smiles (Fluevogs, on the other hand...).
How dare you to compare the majesty of a beautiful pair of Fluevogs with the nastiness of some kids' smiles? Look at this:

I always thought that fashion-, and especially shoe designers like that Louboutomy or Blah, are the original misogynists.

Who in their right set of mind would want to wear such an atrocity on their feet? Even concrete boots are preferable.
Oh, you are just jealous because you can't spare $365 (or 7,3% of Renee's Operation Smile) for such beauty.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:So this just happened:

Rebecca Watson and interrupts the founder of imgur giving a talk demanding her say on how shitty reddit is
FFS.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Eskarina wrote:
Southern wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Now now, they make ugly shoes for men too :P

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Southern wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

That's hilarious! I didn't know that Crocs made high heels!

Southern

Post by Southern »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

Rebecca Watson and interrupts the founder of imgur giving a talk demanding her say on how shitty reddit is
FFS.
Cue to Becky's brigate telling the world how topical and assertive she is.

Dumb twat.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Eucliwood/Steersman romance in the offing? Maybe we could televise the Pit's first wedding?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

FFS.
Well now we know what would have happened to Stef McGraw if she tried to defend herself in the Q&A.

Also, I would love you all to compare this to any of my Q&As. Not just ones in friendly territory (FreeOK) or at 'even' debates (the one with Kern was 50/50 us/them), but like the one at Christ Church where I was entirely in hostile territory. Watson has the personality of a rusty porcupine, while I can patiently explain plate tectonics to an uneducated/moronic Creationist in the audience, with a graceful smile, so the Good Christian Kids cant help but walk away thinking atheists/scientists/evilutionists are nice.

But she gets criticized and trolled because she is a *female* atheist/skeptic/geek. lol. loooooool.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Guest wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Karmakin wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: One place I do agree with the feminists' view is how women are portrayed in comic books. Years ago when my nephew was 5 or 6 he received a free X-Men comic from some restaurant we went to, and he had me read it to him. There was nothing particularly sexist about the plot or dialogue, but the female heroes were nearly always depicted in those unnatural centerfold poses, making those pouty duck faces that straight people inexplicably find sexy. And this was just when they were in their conference room strategizing!
Western comics are generally horrible in my opinion. I'm much more of a manga fan myself.
Yes. Because Japanese comics don't sexualise things.
Well, being an anime and manga fangirl myself, I think the sexism present in those mediums garners less attention because the audience in the west for anime and manga are about 50% female. With that ratio publishers and studios don't discriminate in who they objectify, so while the guys get all the ecchi boob jiggling and tentacle-sex content, there's also a fair amount of books and shows sexually objectifying men in the same fashion (see yaoi for a prime example). I think many don't bother in that instance to criticize Japanese content as much since it comes across as equal opportunity appeal to the idea of "sex sells". Western comics haven't captured the same gender balance in readership, which I think attracts more criticism.
also the primary critique of women's costumes in marvel/dc and the giant amalgamated worlds and all the crossovers and crossunders and crossmentions

largely in manga if you don't care for the look of something you don't read the series, and you avoid all of it. but hang out with superman for a bit, and power girls bosom will be thrust right in your face for all your motorboating fantasies
I should clarify what I meant by what I said. I wasn't so much talking about character design itself, which can be just as outlandish (or even more so) than western comics, however I think that in terms of posing, manga is leaps and bounds ahead of Western comics. But that may just be personal taste.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:Eucliwood/Steersman romance in the offing? Maybe we could televise the Pit's first wedding?

Eh?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:Eucliwood/Steersman romance in the offing? Maybe we could televise the Pit's first wedding?
I think he's in love with his new Troll friend, unless you are making a subtle hint:)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Eh?
Go to http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/03/08 ... ent-198291: start at post 61.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:

Eh?
He's walking into a trap.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote:

FFS.
Well now we know what would have happened to Stef McGraw if she tried to defend herself in the Q&A.

Also, I would love you all to compare this to any of my Q&As. Not just ones in friendly territory (FreeOK) or at 'even' debates (the one with Kern was 50/50 us/them), but like the one at Christ Church where I was entirely in hostile territory. Watson has the personality of a rusty porcupine, while I can patiently explain plate tectonics to an uneducated/moronic Creationist in the audience, with a graceful smile, so the Good Christian Kids cant help but walk away thinking atheists/scientists/evilutionists are nice.

But she gets criticized and trolled because she is a *female* atheist/skeptic/geek. lol. loooooool.
Stop obsessing!

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Jack wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Eh?
He's walking into a trap.
http://cache.thisorth.at/00000/01010/052.460x325.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

welch wrote: My only annoyance was your insistence she had some form of expertise or even superior information, and that made her "right" about anything other than what her (remarkably shitty) arguments supported.
I must suck at trolling. Let me try again:

Lookit man ... just listen to the woman like PeeZuss Christ says.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:

Eh?
Oh my fecking <deity> preserve me and keep me safe from temptation!

daisyw

Post by daisyw »

Regarding that comment I made about Sara Mayhew's post on Mr Nugent's blog. It looks like I might have read it wrong.

Southern

Post by Southern »

I broke my "look, don't touch" decision on Nuggets' blog just to piss off the guy/gal who posted the pic, and Eucliwood. I think now I can flounce from there in peace.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

AspieAtheist wrote:Regarding that comment I made about Sara Mayhew's post on Mr Nugent's blog. It looks like I might have read it wrong.
Yes but I can see how it would be read the other way. People often tell them if they don't like what they see why do they fish for it? That includes coming here to find something 'offensive' to blog about and vanity searches of people they say they have blocked. They are victim addicts.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Lsuoma wrote:

Eh?
At that point, I'd be thinking ABORT ABORT ABORT!!

Quick, Steerzo...
http://i.qkme.me/35odcx.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AspieAtheist wrote:Regarding that comment I made about Sara Mayhew's post on Mr Nugent's blog. It looks like I might have read it wrong.
Aye. And if you really are an aspie like me and as your name suggests it will happen from time to time.

An example:

At a social gathering with a group of friends, someone decided that a fun thing to do would be to administer the House, Tree, Snake, River, Sun personality test to everyone and asked me to go first.

When I was done, she held up the results so that everyone could see and there was much hilarity.

What happened was in her instructions she asked me to draw ;

- a house
- a tree
- a snake
- a river
- the sun

But she never asked me to draw a picture so what she got was a list of the things she asked me to draw, one under each other.

And each time they started to settle down, my puzzled what? Set them to howling, gasping, and clutching each other in tears all over again.

I mean if you wanted me to draw a picture you should have said so. Right?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest wrote:

Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Let the guy finish, Watson. Entitled narcissists all up in here.
Sara Mayhew tweeted a link to culturecritic's blogpost "Why Rebecca Watson shouldn't be on a SXSW panel about reddit"
http://culturecritic9.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/19/

It was written before the panel discussion, goes back over RW's whole "drunk sex is rape" twitter extravaganza. Worth a read for those who didn't catch that as it unfolded in December.

One of the (few) commenters there ("Jen"...but probably no relation to JMcC) was in the audience at the SXSW panel on reddit that RW was on & says (bolding added by me):
I wish I has read this before I ended the SXSW event… ugh it was disgusting. Every person on the panel took turns portraying Reddit as a cesspool of hate with no redeeming qualities. By the end of the session the audience was clearly turning on them and when someone tried to say there are some good things about Reddit, the sexist girl cut him off and said he was being “rude” by saying good things about Reddit. The whole talk was just a disturbing, misplaced, angry rant.

("the sexist girl" = RW ??)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest, a couple of pages back, wrote:*Historically* women did the same work as men.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20186_6- ... es_p2.html

Check #2.
Haha - oops, author and/or editor seem to have short attention spans. The quotes below are both from the page you linked, where they appear one right after the other on the same page. (Bolding added by me)

From Myth #2 (Women Were Treated as Cattle):
The Myth:
Europe during the Middle Ages is right up there with Taliban-ruled Afghanistan ... Women were horribly oppressed and were treated as second-class citizens -- their only responsibilities were to cook, clean, and squeeze out (male) babies on demand.

The Reality:
Up until about 200 years ago, Europe was a largely agricultural society. And the funny thing about back-breaking and often dehumanizing labor is that it has a weird way of equalizing people -- when literally every member of the family is out busting his or her ass every morning just to fend off the very real threat of starvation, gender roles and sexism suddenly don't seem all that important.
Then, right below it, from Myth #1 (Life Was Horrible and Everyone Died Young):
The Reality:
... The typical perception of the medieval peasant is someone breaking his back doing nonstop labor for lords who gaveth not a single fuck as to his well-being, but your typical peasant actually worked around eight hours a day, with long breaks for meals and naps. And did you know that peasants got more time off than you do? Sunday was an automatic day off, and when you factor in long vacations at Christmas, Easter, and midsummer, plus all the saints' days (considering the fact that the Catholic church has even more saints than it does scandals), and medieval peasants were on holiday for a good one-third of the year. And since much of that time was accompanied by epic festivals, they spent it getting shitfaced on various varieties of medieval ale. So not only did they work less than you, they also partied harder.

And it turns out they weren't exactly living lives of "bare bones subsistence," either. By the late Middle Ages, your average English worker was making around $1,000 a year -- significantly better than people in some of today's poorer nations. And while no one will argue that that level of income would provide lifestyles that would inspire rap song lyrics, it did allow them to afford varied diets, the occasional luxury item, and plenty of ale to cover all the partying they were virtually required to do. ...

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

STEEERRRRRSSSMANNNNN! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

Pitchguest wrote:

Like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Let the guy finish, Watson. Entitled narcissists all up in here.
There was an atheist experience caller who sounded just like RW in this video.
"It seems to MEEEEEEEE that blah blah. * interrupts again with* But it seems to MEEEEEEEE."
Ok, it seems to ME that it would be a good idea to shut the hell up until the other person is done talking. Would she take that shit? No, she'd whine about the mean sexists shutting her down.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh folks...I'm trying to watch the footy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

This seems to be recent: http://www.prairiedogmag.com/news/?c=eq ... rt&id=1563
(RW tweeted a link)

It's an interview at the site of Prairie Dog Magazine (Regina SK Canada), with RW, titled "Revenge Of The Nerd Girls", about her favorite topic.

Author introduces topic by including a line he intended in jest:
Here’s what I think we should do: Call them fakers, tell them to get back into the kitchen, talk about their boobs a lot and if that doesn’t drive them off, we can threaten to rape them.

Oops, there goes his chance to be best buddies with PZ, Ophelia, or anyone at A+!

He writes about Sarkeesian, sounding like he finds her project inspirational.

He moves on from Sarkeesian-praise to give RW's version of elevator-proposal and "Guys don't do that" and the things people posted about her or emailed her. He doesn't seem to have done much background reading, main source seems to be RW.

In "journalism" that sounds like it came straight from her, he writes (emphasis added by me):
But in typical internet fashion, that nugget of wisdom provoked a backlash of epic proportions. She was quickly branded anti-man, anti-sex and anti-fun; on blogs she was referred to as “Rebeccunt Twatson”; a site was set up to lobby the SGU to kick her off the show.

And, while that went on publicly on the Internet, her e-mail inbox overflowed with rape and death threats.

And all of that — the insults, the threats — was coming from skeptics, atheists and promoters of science, the very people that Watson had until then considered her confederates in a global nerd posse. In response, Watson started writing about what she’s experienced and posting samples of the harassment she’s faced. It’s a harrowing read.
He goes on to ask whether anonymity makes "this kind of bullying possible" then quotes RW:
There are a lot of ways that I think that this whole argument is a product of the Internet, but that said, I don’t think they’re going to win. Even with the anonymity and the distance that the Internet provides, I think that ultimately people are starting to recognize this is a serious problem and there are going to start being real social consequences for people who bully and harass women.
Er, anonymity & distance...yet (a) you know they are all atheists/skeptics/etc, and (b) you foresee real social consequences? Pray tell, how does that work?

He comments that women have "backed away from the Internet" due to harassment then quotes RW as saying (in part):
So I certainly don’t blame those women who step out of the spotlight because of it. But for every woman that does that, I think that the rest of us get louder. And I think that there are more women who get angrier and start speaking up more. And I also think that every time that happens there are men who get angry as well, and who want to help and who do that by speaking out against other men who are being misogynists and who help by bolstering the women who are continuing to speak out. So I don’t think that we’re experiencing a net loss of voices. The fact that we’re experiencing any loss at all is a testament to how bad the bullying is. But that said, I think that overall our voices are growing louder and that’s a very good thing.
Her response to his next comment seems to describe women as all being in agreement with her: "It’s just very visible because it’s happening online and because all of us women are speaking out against it at once and we’re joining together." (Though it's possible she said, or meant something that would sound similar, like "all these women" not "all of us women")

When asked how long she can keep this up, she replies:
I have no plans of giving up any time soon. I’m a very competitive person and so if I know somebody wants me to quit that just makes me want to be that much louder. They’re using the wrong tactics. If they want me to go away what they should do is stop harassing women. Then I’ll give up because there’s no more fight.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dropping one more for the RW "fan" club, from twitter ~12 hrs ago:
Rebecca the Undead ‏@rebeccawatson

I'm seeing a rate of about 90% amongst sxsw male-presenters & 1% female (just me) RT @MarcDef: @rebeccawatson How's the beard situation?
Now I'm all curious about the other 9%....

G'night!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Apples wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:You don't think it's "objective" when close to 90% of the hits for Abbie mentions something about RW or elevator gate? I guess you can lead a horse to water.
What a bizarre line of argument. If you went over to PZ's or Ophelia's (or confronted EB Wachs) claiming that their google profiles were tainted by their behavior, what do you think they would say before they banned your ass?

What's your point? Google PZ Myers, Ophelia Benson, EllenBeth Wachs, and Rebecca Watson (and Abbie Smith) and look at the first few pages of results -- not too many idly curious people are going to do more than that. What do you see? What does it mean to you?
You can try this at home, kids!

Google auto-complete:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... 43161b.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... c09fb1.jpg

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

mikelf wrote:Since everyone seems to be posting their video game characters, I figured I would do so also.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 39ec87.jpg

That's me on the right.
fap, fap, fap

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

More sarkeesian relevancy...

[youtube]C_qzGcxCAM8[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

JAB wrote:Hey Phil... I hear you're getting a bit of rain there. I hope you're on high ground. Keep dry!
I'm on the sea front, right bellow a large hill. Precipitations are not that bad right now, but about every couple of years we can get up to 50cm of water in the street. Last time was last year. It's just a nuisance, especially for the shop owners in my street.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

TAA joining in:

[youtube]NfkS9YS_T0k[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

DownThunder wrote:TAA joining in:

[youtube]NfkS9YS_T0k[/youtube]
What is it with these people and free debate? All that 'my fees fees get hurt' it total rubbish. Why are so many of them so authoritarian and censorious? I know the answer I'm just ranting.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

"Desperately Seeking Attention" starring Rebecca Watson.

Face it, woman, your 15 minutes of fame are quickly nearing their end.

Don't do this. It's embarassing.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

:lol: Chances of that are, as they say, somewhere between slim and none.

However, while you had dealings with her that no one else was privy to, and while it is of course your call on her banning and for which you seem to have some quite credible justifications, I felt that she had been making some quite reasonable observations and statements (here & here, for examples) in Nuggent’s various threads – so much so that if I hadn’t known some of the back story I would have accepted her as a Pitter that I hadn’t run across before.

And while she seems to have exercised some seriously bad judgement here – somewhat analogous to joking about having a bomb while walking through an airport – I figured that that doesn’t necessarily preclude her eventual reinstatement here – “one can forgive the young everything except their youth”. But your final call, of course.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:

However, while you had dealings with her that no one else was privy to, and while it is of course your call on her banning and for which you seem to have some quite credible justifications, I felt that she had been making some quite reasonable observations and statements (here & here, for examples) in Nuggent’s various threads – so much so that if I hadn’t known some of the back story I would have accepted her as a Pitter that I hadn’t run across before.

And while she seems to have exercised some seriously bad judgement here – somewhat analogous to joking about having a bomb while walking through an airport – I figured that that doesn’t necessarily preclude her eventual reinstatement here – “one can forgive the young everything except their youth”. But your final call, of course.
She's underage, end of discussion. She's also a massive attention seeker. That's assume she is a she and not some troll.

Anyway Nugent removed that troll post and managed to delete a load of other messages too it seems. I assume he just deleted a whole range. It's Saturday morning, hangover time, so I have no issue with it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:Steersman doing what he does best, being a contrarian over at Nugent's blog. I love it.
:-)
Unlike Steersman I have no intention of capitalising on it one way or the other.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL YOU ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT HE INTENDED.
Just out of curiousity, what would that have been? Do they get some financial compensation out of the hits on the images they’ve posted? The FfTB targets are going to be totally discombobulated and will retire from the field in tears? They get some juice of some sorts from shocking people? As Southern suggested, I think that laughter and mockery and ridicule tends to be the best response. Really not seeing the rationale in your argument.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Hooray!!! Erik is the second poster to make it to my ignore list. Because a) he's a dick, and b) he's a bassist! (redundant?)
Are we still doing the bassist jokes?

When erik was a kid he asked his Dad for a bass. Daddy says he will only buy him one if he takes proper lessons, so he agrees.
After the first lesson he comes home and Dad asks "What did you learn today". "I learnt the notes on the first five frets of the E string" says the young shitstain.
Next week his dad asks him again. "This week I learnt the notes on the first five frets of the A string" he answers.
On the third week his dad asks him again and erick replies "Sorry, Dad I couldn't make the lesson this week, I had a gig".
Why go past three frets? Next we'll have to play the black notes on the pie-anny.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>
She's underage, end of discussion. She's also a massive attention seeker. That's assume she is a she and not some troll.
She also mentioned that she's at least a year from being of age - wasn't trying to suggest or argue that she be let back before then - as I had indicated to her.

AnonymousCowherd

JAB wrote:
Apples wrote:
Submariner wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that axis authoritarian/libertarian?? That would make Ceepolk a Libertarian?!??
Yeah - It wasn't clear whether it was the standard political axis quiz. All I know is that on the self-awareness scale she is an off-the-charts oblivious hypocrite and a walking example of how certain personalities abuse power once they get the slightest taste of it.
The Authoritarians is a good read... and free as a download from his site at the University of Manitoba, but the quiz is evaluating how much of an authoritarian follower you are. Altemeyer's research is on why people follow leaders blindly. It doesn't surprise me that Ceepolk doesn't answer such a survey in such a way that he comes out as a follower since I'm sure he thinks he's a leader.
It's OK, but (much as might like to agree with some of it's findings) you have to be a bit careful about research based on an instrument with such high face validity. I mean, the test basically has quetions like "Hitler tells you to jump off a bridge. Do you a) kick the fuckers crutch so hard he can wank when he brushes his teeth b) say "who's Hilter"? c) ask "yes SAH! which bridge and how far off it SAH?" It easy to guess the game and play up to it. The researcher knows that, but I'm not entirely convinced by his defence.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:
Jack wrote:Steersman doing what he does best, being a contrarian over at Nugent's blog. I love it.
:-)
Unlike Steersman I have no intention of capitalising on it one way or the other.

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL YOU ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT HE INTENDED.
Just out of curiousity, what would that have been? Do they get some financial compensation out of the hits on the images they’ve posted? The FfTB targets are going to be totally discombobulated and will retire from the field in tears? They get some juice of some sorts from shocking people? As Southern suggested, I think that laughter and mockery and ridicule tends to be the best response. Really not seeing the rationale in your argument.
There's troll and there is trolls. By talking to him you are stating publicly that you approve of the image he posted even if you don't or otherwise have no issue with it. Considering the venue he did that to attract attention and you took the bait.

That is your prerogative but sometimes it is best not to feed the Trolls rather than engage with them. He would have said to you anything he felt advanced his trolling, you were not dealing with an honest troll (which many are)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Just to add it resulted in many decent posts being deleted because people kept engaging with him including one from a female here stating she though the Pit was a great place for women to be. Now it is lost.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

rayshul wrote:Obviously I fucked Anders because he's so broody and shit. My husband HATED ME FOR IT.
Aaarrrggghhhh! Anders of all the people! Anders and Fenris tie up for the two biggest whiners in that game!

windy

Post by windy »

katamari Damassi wrote: That's hilarious! I didn't know that Crocs made high heels!
LOL, I was just going to say that! Crocs should sue.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:Just to add it resulted in many decent posts being deleted because people kept engaging with him including one from a female here stating she though the Pit was a great place for women to be. Now it is lost.
Still there, at least if this is the one you're thinking of (#57):
Rayshul wrote:Might I also add that I have found the Slymepit incredibly inclusive, caring and supportive – and easily the most so of any atheist or skeptic group I have been part of. Your ideas must survive on their own merits – and people regularly change their mind when someone makes a persuasive argument. Yes, the traditional greeting is “fuck off” – but it’s meant in good fun. :)

Again, it’s no surprise that our membership is incredibly diverse – internationally, politically, culturally, etc. There are also MRA members, ex-radical feminists, equity feminists, and humanists.

I chose the Slymepit community because I find it is the most welcoming of people with different opinions, and its membership have certainly helped me expand my thinking on various issues. Obviously, your mileage may vary… but everyone is welcome to come over and check it out. :)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:
Jack wrote:Just to add it resulted in many decent posts being deleted because people kept engaging with him including one from a female here stating she though the Pit was a great place for women to be. Now it is lost.
Rayshul wrote:Might I also add that I have found the Slymepit incredibly inclusive, caring and supportive – and easily the most so of any atheist or skeptic group I have been part of. Your ideas must survive on their own merits – and people regularly change their mind when someone makes a persuasive argument. Yes, the traditional greeting is “fuck off” – but it’s meant in good fun. :)

Again, it’s no surprise that our membership is incredibly diverse – internationally, politically, culturally, etc. There are also MRA members, ex-radical feminists, equity feminists, and humanists.

I chose the Slymepit community because I find it is the most welcoming of people with different opinions, and its membership have certainly helped me expand my thinking on various issues. Obviously, your mileage may vary… but everyone is welcome to come over and check it out. :)
Sorry Steersman I was wrong. It is still there my apologies. That was the only post I got annoyed at being deleted.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

welch wrote:She failed, completely, to mention the external cultural influences behind that. For example, her bit about King Kong fails to mention most of that was really racism, not sexism at work, and the deep (and stupid) fears white people had about "unfettered negro sexual savagery". Again, she's pushing this as an *analysis*.

I salute thee! I had totally missed that. So unlike my initial assessment, I wouln'd call AS's video "solid" analysis anymore.

AnonymousCowherd

d4m10n wrote:
Guest wrote:
It means that strictly from probabilistic reasoning as presented, the sun has probably exploded, but the frequentist has neglected the prior probability of a sun going nova, which is vanishingly small. The Bayesian knows this, so bets him $50.

Now aren't you glad I explained that?
I think they are being at least a little unfair to the frequentists

http://www.skepticink.com/backgroundpro ... -explodes/
A lot unfair. Love xkcd but, that 'toon was a clunker.

It's your field Damion, but really, can't the rest of us try to resolve something easy like, um, Israel v everyone?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jack wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>
Sorry Steersman I was wrong. It is still there my apologies. That was the only post I got annoyed at being deleted.
No problemo :-)

It is a good post even though Eucliwood followed it up with a bit of a sarcastic quip which I – mea culpa – chuckled a bit at …. :-)

[time to call it a day; night all ....]

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Our good friend erikthebassist has a lot to say about us today: http://whenskepticsattack.com/blog/2013/3/9/full-circle

I don't have anything to say about it, I'm just going to ignore this petulant little puke. :lol:

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Anita Sarkeesian's policy of disabling comments and ratings and Watson's complaining about reddit both come across to me as a longing for authoritarian control over what others should have the right to say. In Watson's case I would just advise her to either GTFO in regards to reddit or learn to accept that on one of the world's largest message boards with one of the loosest content policies around she's going to encounter things that are crap, things that are mean and disgusting and things that show off the blatant prejudices of the anonymous authors.

If I know that reddit allows users to post just about anything as long as it doesn't fall outside of the law, is the proper response to something like the r/KKK subreddit for me to go on a tirade about how authoritarian admins need to crack down and silence people who I personally think are shitbags, or is it more effective for me to use the site's content creation ability to post things and create discussions which further my own ideas and goals?

Welcome to the internet Rebecca. If you can't learn to filter out things which you don't like or counter those things by posting your own ideas then it's going to be rough for you and your fee-fees. Nobody forces you to read reddit, and while I agree that the people who send you things to your personal emails like that rape pic are over the line, the complaints about publicly open spaces which are entered on a voluntary basis are null and void.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Eugh! It's like an arranged marriage in Saudi Arabia between an 86 year old and a 10 year old child-bride.
And just as disgusting

tina

Post by tina »

ordering a few b'day presents for my son from amazon.....where's this amazon donaty buttony thingy? I can't see it coz I am a thick cunt.

Spence

Post by Spence »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Guest wrote:
It means that strictly from probabilistic reasoning as presented, the sun has probably exploded, but the frequentist has neglected the prior probability of a sun going nova, which is vanishingly small. The Bayesian knows this, so bets him $50.

Now aren't you glad I explained that?
I think they are being at least a little unfair to the frequentists

http://www.skepticink.com/backgroundpro ... -explodes/
A lot unfair. Love xkcd but, that 'toon was a clunker.

It's your field Damion, but really, can't the rest of us try to resolve something easy like, um, Israel v everyone?
Frequentist vs. Bayesian debates always amuse me. It's kinda like watching Xbox fanbois arguing with Playstation fanbois. You know that both sides are largely trolling each other. But sometimes watching the debate can be entertaining, whilst simultaneously depressing.

Frequentist and Bayesian methods are simply tools, and like any tools they can be used well and also misused. Use them well and they should both lead to the same results.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Metalogic42 wrote:Our good friend erikthebassist has a lot to say about us today: http://whenskepticsattack.com/blog/2013/3/9/full-circle

I don't have anything to say about it, I'm just going to ignore this petulant little puke. :lol:
Just out of curiosity I had a quick look over there. I see he says he's done with it and he's going to ignore us. I think should start a sweepstake on how long before he fails to stick the flounce. I'm going to say he will be back tomorrow.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsbba4JyNJ1qcn7d7.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Skep tickle wrote:Dropping one more for the RW "fan" club, from twitter ~12 hrs ago:
Rebecca the Undead ‏@rebeccawatson

I'm seeing a rate of about 90% amongst sxsw male-presenters & 1% female (just me) RT @MarcDef: @rebeccawatson How's the beard situation?
Now I'm all curious about the other 9%....

G'night!
A (male) friend of mine presents at and organizes symposia SXSW every year - here's the schedule for the education section of SXSW, which features lots of female presenters. (Can I use the terms "male" and "female" without being sexist? I'm a biologist, after all)

Oh, wait ... maybe RW isn't hanging out in the education conferences at SXSW.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Metalogic42 wrote:Our good friend erikthebassist has a lot to say about us today: http://whenskepticsattack.com/blog/2013/3/9/full-circle

What a cunt.

windy

Post by windy »

nippletwister wrote: Pretty much THIS. I remember one thread a long time ago on pharyngula dealing with why objectification of women is so horrible. It was standard crap theory, about how all women are "reduced to their parts" and not seen as full humans. Somebody asked about what women find attractive in men, and some women confessed to enjoying the lean, defined form of certain male athletes.
IIRC the same sort of cognitive dissonance happened over someone drooling over Emma Watson (creepy!) compared to when women drooled over Daniel Radcliffe.