Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
decius

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by decius »

Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, and I should mention I would practically kill to live in Germany once again.
The Germans feel the same way about other countries.
It's subjective, of course, but I've seen and lived in many countries and wasn't born here. Yet Berlin is my favourite place by orders of magnitudes. I do prefer large urban settings, but none of the many I visited even comes close. There's a unique mix of liveability, greenery, tolerance, social libertarianism, openness, lack of high-rise light-sucking buildings, vibrancy, decent governance, unique history and historical significance, low criminality rate, endless party atmosphere.
Due to the former division, there are still double, in some case triple, working instances of every cultural institution. For instance, there are three major opera houses.

Also, it's very hard to find locals who compare it negatively to other places.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

windy wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
AnotherLurkerMKII wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Oh, and I should mention I would practically kill to live in Germany once again.
I would trade my entire country for Germany. Even if the Germany-descendents that founded most of the cities in the region where I live are mostly a bunch of douchebags.
You know you're triggering me, right? Some of my countrymen (and women) were killed by Germans!
Hey, you don't see me complaining about the Russian gif :twisted: (that's awesome, Gefan!)
Oradour, Oradour, oh Oradour. Sur Glane!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane

(linking to it because I visited the place twice. First time I was about 6 or 7. Talk about trauma.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

decius wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
It's subjective, of course, but I've seen and lived in many countries and wasn't born here. Yet Berlin is my favourite place by orders of magnitudes. I do prefer large urban settings, but none of the many I visited even comes close. There's a unique mix of liveability, greenery, tolerance, social libertarianism, openness, lack of high-rise light-sucking buildings, vibrancy, decent governance, unique history and historical significance, low criminality rate, endless party atmosphere.
Due to the former division, there are still double, in some case triple, working instances of every cultural institution. For instance, there are three major opera houses.

Also, it's very hard to find locals who compare it negatively to other places.

NAZI!!!

decius

Post by decius »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

NAZI!!!

LOL

Reap

Post by Reap »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:note to Reap
http://reapradio.net/ is down - says domain name has expired.
Because that's the correct URL:

http://www.reapsowradio.com/
Yea I let it go cause I figured no one would notice it..I been using the reapsowradio.com most of the time....guess I was wrong

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Altair wrote:
Apples wrote:
Yep - also this:
EllieMurasaki wrote:I suggest that for the next few months, you make an effort to read at least one book by a female author for every book you read by a male author. I suggest you make an effort to read at least one book by an author of color for every book you read by a white author, and I suggest at least a third of those authors of color (and a third of the white authors too) should be people who identify with a nationality not your own. I suggest you make an effort to read at least one book by an author who's a gender and/or sexual minority for every...hm. QUILTBAG people just aren't as common as heterocis people. Every four or five books by a heterocis author, maybe.
Dear Ellie: Go fuck yourself, you condescending twat.
Dafuq? Way to turn what should be a pleasant activity into a fucking chore. I'll keep reading the books I like without caring about the author's gender, nationality or shoe size, thank you very much, Ellie.
Just a quick note on this.

When I am not at my super day job, I am a writer and my genre has been invaded by SJW. I am now reduced to refusing to use an author picture, identifying publically as male and white, and not writing any non-white characters. Before this, my stories were almost invariably about African or Australiasian characters - that's the geography I enjoy - and most of my fiction has gay/trans content. I have literally been fucking ruined by SJW who will not shut the fuck up about my race or my gender, the race of my characters (zomg is it racist? zomg wuuut obvs the race of these characters iz the most interesting thing about the whole fucking story), or spend their time constantly talking about how those poor fucking coloureds and wymyns and shit have it so hard and no one reads them. Writers who refuse to toe the line immediately get lynched - I believe Do Not Engage (Shetterly's blog) notes some of these instances.

It is pretty fucking shit, and has basically ruined my fave passtime. I do talk on here occasionally about my hatred of SJW - this is part of the reason.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Here's a gift for all you night owls
[youtube]-1QFyXiD_oc[/youtube]

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Poor Sally. It's nice the 'pit was able to help her out to go. I don't know, maybe she'll learn some skeptical thinking... although probably not.

Not pissing on Sally here, it's just I haven't really seen many people convert from extreme SJW-ness to reality. They always just seem to get more and more weird.

I'd also be interested in a group blog network. ^_^ & am sorry about your situation Renee. I've had some experience supporting my hubby through his surgeries and splurging a lot on medical stuff (I don't want to wait for shit :/) so if I can help in advice or anything let me know.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

...while trying to search for how to deconvert a social justice warrior I found this:

Those familiar tactics of our FTB friends:

But I can find nothing to, you know, cure the whole thing. Surely there should be some kind of debriefing camps or something like they have for cults.

ScooterKPFT

Post by ScooterKPFT »

Interview with Normal Bob of Jesus Dress-up Doll fame:
http://skeptiles.com/skeptiles-episode-23/

check it out

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Jack wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:I mentioned this on Twitter the other day and I'm actually quite serious. I have a server with oodles of space (plus the ability to upgrade easily). Many of us are tired of FTB, Skepchicks, A+ and the like. I'd be more than happy to set up and run a blog conglomerate if enough people were interested. I'm fairly adept in SEO, server admin, and many other areas within running such things. If I find at least 10 people are interested, I'll look into setting things up.
I've been wanting to do a blog mainly focused on UK/EU matters with possible comparisons to the US, such as a recent attack on evolution in UK schools which was soundly defeated. I would also blog on anything that grabbed my interest. I'm not sure how much interest the topics I may cover will attract though.
This would be awesome. Chill Girls in Pink Corvettes has touched ever so lightly on the EU/UK perspective lately and I would personally love to read more. We tend to be very egocentric in the US, thinking that we're the end-all-be-all in the world of atheism/skepticism. A broader bit of information is needed.
I used to do a small blog at my uni that I'd love to kick up again. I do mostly philosophy meets economics with a little psychology mixed in when I have time to dig out sources. If this goes ahead "Me, Me, Me"

Although, if it starts to go tit's up, I'm claiming to have cancer and getting a new trench coat from donations :p

acathode

Post by acathode »

rayshul wrote:Just a quick note on this.

When I am not at my super day job, I am a writer and my genre has been invaded by SJW. I am now reduced to refusing to use an author picture, identifying publically as male and white, and not writing any non-white characters. Before this, my stories were almost invariably about African or Australiasian characters - that's the geography I enjoy - and most of my fiction has gay/trans content. I have literally been fucking ruined by SJW who will not shut the fuck up about my race or my gender, the race of my characters (zomg is it racist? zomg wuuut obvs the race of these characters iz the most interesting thing about the whole fucking story), or spend their time constantly talking about how those poor fucking coloureds and wymyns and shit have it so hard and no one reads them. Writers who refuse to toe the line immediately get lynched - I believe Do Not Engage (Shetterly's blog) notes some of these instances.

It is pretty fucking shit, and has basically ruined my fave passtime. I do talk on here occasionally about my hatred of SJW - this is part of the reason.
Out of curiosity, what's your genre?

But yes, the thing that's happening with the SJWs invading the A/S scene is nothing new or unique, they REALLY like entryism, and their ideology is particularly well suited to that tactic as the media climate allows them to easily claim to be moral superiors to anyone who complain.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

rayshul wrote:Poor Sally. It's nice the 'pit was able to help her out to go. I don't know, maybe she'll learn some skeptical thinking... although probably not.

Not pissing on Sally here, it's just I haven't really seen many people convert from extreme SJW-ness to reality. They always just seem to get more and more weird.

I'd also be interested in a group blog network. ^_^ & am sorry about your situation Renee. I've had some experience supporting my hubby through his surgeries and splurging a lot on medical stuff (I don't want to wait for shit :/) so if I can help in advice or anything let me know.
I think some people have a hard time differentiating between their own anger and actual facts. When they find a place that tolerates that, like FTB, it tends to grow. It also seems like internet personas take on a life of their own. I seriously doubt she insults everyone she meets in real life. But on the internet, she is Sally Strange! fighter of everything that she hates, which is everything! I'm a believer in being nice but also not apologizing just because someone acts angry. Hopefully, over time things soften up a bit.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Richard Dworkins wrote:Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?

(((Richard)))

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:I'm telling you, PZ has access to alien cloning tech.
The offending comment seems to have been deleted.
Who would have thought such a deceptive action from Ophelia, given here anger at others doing the same?
I unreservedly withdraw that remark. Upon further review, I discovered I was quite mistaken.[/quote]

I see her reference her mistake at #23
@ 2 – OOOPS! So sorry, Chris. Years of habit.
Yet #2 is now:
jenniferphillips

February 20, 2013 at 6:29 pm (UTC -8)

It was actually Chris Clarke (who I grow to love more with every post) who blogged this at Pharyngula. But yeah, it’s not a novel question, but I’ve yet to hear an honest attempt at an answer.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Submariner wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?
(((Richard)))
That wasn't asked for, and there's no suggestion Richard needs a hug - I think that's an unprovoked sexual cyber assault. Really creepy, Submariner.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
rayshul wrote:Poor Sally. It's nice the 'pit was able to help her out to go. I don't know, maybe she'll learn some skeptical thinking... although probably not.

I think some people have a hard time differentiating between their own anger and actual facts. When they find a place that tolerates that, like FTB, it tends to grow. It also seems like internet personas take on a life of their own. I seriously doubt she insults everyone she meets in real life. But on the internet, she is Sally Strange! fighter of everything that she hates, which is everything! I'm a believer in being nice but also not apologizing just because someone acts angry. Hopefully, over time things soften up a bit.
Oh I'm sure she'd be lovely in person - you would really not be able to exist in society if you acted like a SJW all the time, except I suppose in the kind of cultish surroundings SN has talked about (or college, where that shit is rampant). I think the aggression is really a form of impotence - the less outgoing you are or able to take control of your surroundings in real life, the more powerful you act online.

decius

Post by decius »

Here, get a taste.

[youtube]drdf8OeBUUM[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Never mind the TAM up-skirt cameras and the threats-that-aren't-really-threats ... taking a cab in Vegas isn't safe:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 8892.story

Dude was an aspiring rapper and had a Maserati?

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

rayshul wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:

Oh I'm sure she'd be lovely in person - you would really not be able to exist in society if you acted like a SJW all the time, except I suppose in the kind of cultish surroundings SN has talked about (or college, where that shit is rampant). I think the aggression is really a form of impotence - the less outgoing you are or able to take control of your surroundings in real life, the more powerful you act online.
Yeah, there does seem to be a theme of using SJW to just vent about life. It sounds like she is a waitress. I was a waiter for spell and that's a pretty stressful job, so I don't blame her for spewing out aggression when she gets home from work. Having to deal with all sorts of cheap weirdos with a smile sucks.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

nippletwister wrote:
Lapsang Souchong wrote:
Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/19 ... nents-say/

Jesus fucking christ. I think I see the problem. Apparently, to feminist activists who've never seen a penis, penises all resemble the front end of an X-Wing fighter with a huge celtic cross down the top.

No wonder they're so scared of them, I would be too!

Actually, the real problem is a bunch of activists appropriating a tragedy for their own purposes, and pretty much deciding that even acknowledging the existence of any other people besides female victims is a crime against (feminine) humanity(the only kind, of course).

Ah but you are looking at the thing with your naked eyes. When you put on your Radfem Specs with anti-Patriarchy filters the monument appears in it's true form (trigger warning)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/daj4mog-hd4/mqdefault.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ericb wrote:
nippletwister wrote:
Lapsang Souchong wrote:
Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say

Jesus fucking christ. I think I see the problem. Apparently, to feminist activists who've never seen a penis, penises all resemble the front end of an X-Wing fighter with a huge celtic cross down the top.

No wonder they're so scared of them, I would be too!

Actually, the real problem is a bunch of activists appropriating a tragedy for their own purposes, and pretty much deciding that even acknowledging the existence of any other people besides female victims is a crime against (feminine) humanity(the only kind, of course).

Ah but you are looking at the thing with your naked eyes. When you put on your Radfem Specs with anti-Patriarchy filters the monument appears in it's true form (trigger warning)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/daj4mog-hd4/mqdefault.jpg
Ugh. You have no idea how close you are.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4530

They are fucking nuts.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))
That wasn't asked for, and there's no suggestion Richard needs a hug - I think that's an unprovoked sexual cyber assault. Really creepy, Submariner.
(((rayshul)))

Cunning Punt

Re: Strangerella SHALL go to the Ball!

Post by Cunning Punt »

Pitchguest wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Reap wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Sally Strange has reached her $ target to attend the American Atheists 50th Anniversary National Convention.
Good for her, I'm sure she will have a great time. With any luck I'll see her there but I have no idea what she looks like and even if I did I can't think of anything I would feel the need to say to her so... that pretty much just wasted a bunch of keystrokes didnt it? sigh
From her twitter:
https://twitter.com/i/#!/SallyStrange/m ... 2FYILltw2b
SallyStrange.jpeg
Sally Strange ‏@SallyStrange

Feeling pretty sexy these days... http://pic.twitter.com/YILltw2b
Oh fuck, she has a kid.

http://media.tumblr.com/7b32e336b10589b ... qz4rgp.gif
Nephew.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

codelette wrote:So now the tshirt argument when from offensive message to offensive odor? There's some sort of privilege showing right there...
From my local paper: "Complaints About Stinky Traveler". The Google translation is fairly horrible (for instance it inexplicably translates the name Göran as George two times out of three, and apparently Google thinks the bus drivers directed their complaint to the US government rather than UL, the company they work for) but you get the gist.

Oh, and the follow-up article: "UL spoke with stinky traveler".

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Lsuoma wrote:
As German comedian Henning Wehn likes to say, third time lucky.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ericb wrote:Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/19 ... nents-say/[/quote]

The problem isn't with the original plans.

http://i.imgur.com/X2SM6zd.jpg

It's to do with the Guinness sponsored version.

http://i.imgur.com/tOBXEW2.jpg

noblehawk2

Post by noblehawk2 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Grrr. In my reading as of late, I'm finding more and more articles/posts on people (feminists and their "white knights") being all bent out of shape over the lack of the female voice within different fields/topics. For whatever reason, many people tend to attribute this to sexism and the patriarchy. Even more discouraging is that these people don't even bother to think of reasons *other* than sexism or patriarchy. I'd love to see other feedback on this. I'm not saying "it's the nature of the female" but I do think there are some inherent traits that led themselves towards women not being so vocal in various fields/topics. Thoughts?
Any particular topics or fields in mind ?

Richard

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Pitchguest wrote: Ugh. You have no idea how close you are.

They are fucking nuts.
Here's a similar idea used as a joke years before that one:

http://s3.credoaction.com.s3.amazonaws. ... -01-06.jpg

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Speaking of Radford (that PZ strawman post was brilliant), the latest Monster Talk episode is pretty amazing. Two entomologists (who happen to be women) talk enthusiastically about science and arthropods for an hour. Now that is the scepticism with a love for science that I used to know and love.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))
it's only creepy if it's from behind and both your hands are on his shoulders.

it's only gay if you're in port.

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4550

Its amazing how well they captured my everyday life

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Reap wrote:So then who is the Jew-pitter?
SN?
I have never believed in any gods, right from the time they tried to explain the jewish version to me. I immediately asked, well, if god made everything, then who made god? Still haven't gotten a straight answer to that one.

Even at this late date though, my father would still be pleased as kosher pig shit for me to start seeing a nice jewish boy and maybe pop out a kid before all my eggs dry up. Ain't gonna happen. No jewish-raised (or other types of) grandkiddies from me. I've got a couple of brothers passing along the family genes, and that's good enough for me.

If there is anything similar to excommunication but for jews, I've probably already gotten it. I'm proud to say that I gave all my rabbis nothing but trouble, both in being a brat as well as in asking very uncomfortable questions. Like being 6 or 7 and asking how Cain and Abel had kids, since the only woman created so far was their mother!!! (I knew the basics of reproduction at that age). Or how come god said it's good to kill ____ even though thou shalt not murder? How come you thank god in that prayer for making you a man? Is something wrong with being female? I also made a point of touching the oh so fucking holy torah (which only males are allowed to touch for good luck).

But racially, I'm so fucking pure jewish I'm nearly inbred. Almost 100% Ashkenazi jew. The 'almost' part is a tiny bit from somewhere back to around 500 years ago, when one of my ancestors was not quite in the jewish club. They were either Asian or Native American.

Hey, Melody is a member there too (same one - same pic). Does anyone think I should send an invitation to share genetic info? Heheh.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

"Hey, Melody is a member there too (same one - same pic). Does anyone think I should send an invitation to share genetic info? Heheh." referred to http://23andme.com

acathode

Post by acathode »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Ericb wrote:Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say

The problem isn't with the original plans.

http://i.imgur.com/X2SM6zd.jpg

It's to do with the Guinness sponsored version.

http://i.imgur.com/tOBXEW2.jpg
From that article
“Placing the [Ireland Canada Monument] design 80 feet from the women’s monument, which has vulva shapes engraved in the top of each of the 14 sarcophagi forms, is inappropriate and will be seen to be a violation by supporters,” wrote Chris McDowell, an activist and second-generation Irish Canadian who led a seven-year campaign to build the Marker of Change.
Just... What. The. Fuck?! Obsessed with genitalia much? And here I thought reducing people down to their sex was bad?! Apparently it's totes ok if you do it to murder victims though?

Fuck, if I was horribly murdered and some loon decided to build a monument over me and decorate it with a giant cock, and then place it in a public park, I think I'd rise from my grave just to give punch him in his face.

As the last sick twist, judging by the pictures, rainwater tend to pool in the engraved vaginas. Making the monument for Lepine's victims in practice 14 sarcophages with wet vaginas... Just who the hell thought that this monument was a good idea?!

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

Like port 25 or 80?

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

Like port 25 or 80?
I've got some 37 year old port at home, I just don't know when I'm going to drink it!

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

Like port 25 or 80?

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photo ... de.jpg?v=1

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

SPACKlick wrote: Although, if it starts to go tit's up, I'm claiming to have cancer and getting a new trench coat from donations :p
Fuck off, bitch! I've already claimed the reGreta slot.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
As German comedian Henning Wehn likes to say, third time lucky.
German to Brit in 1970: "Ah, I see ve beat you at your national sport, hein?"
Brit: "Yeah, but we beat you twice at yours."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Ericb wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: Ugh. You have no idea how close you are.

They are fucking nuts.
Here's a similar idea used as a joke years before that one:

http://s3.credoaction.com.s3.amazonaws. ... -01-06.jpg
Joo Jantas, mate, Joo Jantas.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Pitchguest wrote:
Apples wrote:Fairly standard A+ stuff, but still a good example of the feminist kafkatrap:

Christo930 starts a thread to talk about post-apocalyptic fiction and fails to respond to a post from a female poster or to show sufficient interest in books by female authors. Predictably depressing results.

starts here:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4008

and then gets kicked to here:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8&start=25
Holy fucking shit. :confusion-confused:
Indeed. Wow! A+ seems to attract a lot of really insecure people. I couldn't stand to be around people like that, having to constantly walk on eggshells to avoid offending people's delicate sensibilities and stifling political correctness. How do these people function in real life? I couldn't imagine walking around with "gender oppression" goggles all the time. They seem to enjoy impugning people with nefarious motives or prejudices for any perceived or imagined slight.

Barbara Drescher was right. It's like a mass case of borderline personality disorder.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Lsuoma wrote:
SPACKlick wrote: Although, if it starts to go tit's up, I'm claiming to have cancer and getting a new trench coat from donations :p
Fuck off, bitch! I've already claimed the reGreta slot.
I want to claim I have cancer too, but only for the pity sex.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Stretchycheese wrote: Barbara Drescher was right. It's like a mass case of borderline personality disorder.
Correction, it was Rebecca Bradley who said that. Apologies.

http://skepticink.com/lateraltruth/2012 ... the-chuds/

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

What happens underway, stays underway.

We had that shit before Las Vegas. They totes stole our slogan...

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:...Other qualifications? I spent $120 a few years ago for some trail shoes to go hiking in Yellowstone, where, incidentally, and totally at random, I ran into Thunderf00t at the Upper Falls viewpoint in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/tf00t.jpg
I've never seen one in the wild. Introduced species don't always work out but this one seems to be thriving.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:...Other qualifications? I spent $120 a few years ago for some trail shoes to go hiking in Yellowstone, where, incidentally, and totally at random, I ran into Thunderf00t at the Upper Falls viewpoint in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/tf00t.jpg
I've never seen one in the wild. Introduced species don't always work out but this one seems to be thriving.
Note to Avicenna: no, it's not a yeti.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Hey Renee, if you're interested I could do a guest post every now and then. Maybe something about nuclear power or cheez-its, both of which I know fairly well.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Submariner wrote:

(((Richard)))
That's why they always preface the hugs with a "hugs if wanted", so they don't trigger anyone.
It's always made me want to post this to someone:

(((FORCIBLE)))

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

CommanderTuvok wrote:It is highly hypocritical of Ophelia to keep complaining about bad smells, when she stinks of wet dog.
:lol: How do you know? Have you ever sniffed her?

I reckon Pruney smells of lavender and dust.

windy

Post by windy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
windy wrote:Hoping not to encourage another rambling post from Andrew, but just to address this point:
No fear of that at the moment.

I was unsure of exactly how familiar welsh was with the concepts, so I thought it best to spoon feed him and take him through the process step by step.

It did not go down well I am sure we can agree.
Indeed, since I don't know what the hell you were getting at either. If you are going to spoon-feed someone, wouldn't it be best to have some sort of goal in mind? The little duckie on the bottom of the bowl?
AndrewV69 wrote: I do think someone may have his work cut out for him.
Book Description
Sesardic defends the view that it is both possible and useful to measure the separate contributions of heredity and environment to the explanation of human psychological differences. He critically examines the view--very widely accepted by scientists, social scientists and philosophers of science--that heritability estimates have no causal implications and are without interest. In a series of clearly written chapters he introduces the reader to the problems and subjects the arguments to close philosophical scrutiny. His book is a fresh, original and compelling intervention in a very contentious debate.
About the Author
Neven Sesardic is Associate Professor in the Department of Philosophy at Lingnan University, Hong Kong. His areas of specialisation are philosophy of biology, philosophy of science and philosophy of mind.
This is like a red flag to a bull for some people. Even though I would hazard a guess that he belongs to the “analytic” style, I seriously doubt that is going to cut much slack from certain people.

(Thanks for the link though Windy, I usually pay little or no attention to philosophy, even though in the past it does appear to have had significant impact on societys in general, and not always in a beneficial manner).
That's your takeaway from that debunking of Glymour?? :doh: I wouldn't trust philosophers to tell me if a particular scientific field or result is bunk, but they can be very useful in calling other philosophers on their BS.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:It is highly hypocritical of Ophelia to keep complaining about bad smells, when she stinks of wet dog.
:lol: How do you know? Have you ever sniffed her?

I reckon Pruney smells of lavender and dust.
Do cobwebs have a scent?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Submariner wrote:
welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

Not joining the navy has always been one of my big regrets.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:This would be awesome. Chill Girls in Pink Corvettes has touched ever so lightly on the EU/UK perspective lately and I would personally love to read more. We tend to be very egocentric in the US, thinking that we're the end-all-be-all in the world of atheism/skepticism. A broader bit of information is needed.

Given the geographic diversity on the Pit this sounds really promising. In broader America there seems to be a tendency to think of Brits as Americans with funny accents and a tea fetish and to be oblivious to the width of the actual cultural gulf between the two societies.

Regarding medical systems (to the extent that America's horror show can be considered such) - I have lived with both. When I came to the US, in my naive idealism I really wanted US healthcare to be better. Painful though it is, life seems to work out better when one places evidence over ideology and I had to concede long ago that you'd be very hard pressed to create anything worse than the US system in terms of efficiency or outcomes (although Obamacare may very well manage it). We have a friend who is a teacher with a private school. The job pays her twelve dollars an hour and provides no insurance. She was recently bankrupted by cancer and has essentially no access to healthcare. She's currently investigating a "marriage of convenience" to a Canadian as her best means of obtaining treatment
The leading "push" factor in us leaving the US (in 41 days and counting) is the medical system. A while back I described it as "Nurse Ratchett meets Gordon Gecko" and that was only because I couldn't think of anything more vitriolic. It's so entrenched that only a complete societal collapse will get rid of it and that fact may be the closest thing to a silver lining when the US goes the same way as the Soviet Union (I give it ten years max.).

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 018#p71222

Kassiane seems unfamiliar with the idea that an idea should not eb accepted as gospel jsut because people say so. Skepticism much?
Re: In the annals of "No, shit, really?" re: Bullying

Postby Kassiane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm
No shit. We've been saying that for ages.

But now that it's published it's suddenly true?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

katamari Damassi wrote: Not joining the navy has always been one of my big regrets.
In all seriousness gays were drummed out of the Navy if it was determined by 1) confession or 2) being caught in a homosexual act.

We had one Machinist's Mate get discharged for telling the corpsman that he was gay (or QUILTBAG I'm not sure). Too bad, he was the better ship's barber.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
welch wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Submariner wrote:
(((Richard)))

or the ground pounder/flyboy version: "What happens TDY, stays TDY"

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

welch wrote:
or the ground pounder/flyboy version: "What happens TDY, stays TDY"
Ahhh, I DO miss talking in acronyms. <sigh>