Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
Michael K Gray

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Mykeru hasn't been around lately either.
Anybody else get a blue butterfly in their driveway lately? Housefires? Unexpected car accidents? Unexpected anal encounters with dead porcupines?
Clear evidence that the Minnesota Mafia and the FC(n) have been conducting a genocide campaign against not just certified slymepitters but even inferred "slymies"!
Sooo... James, Rystefn, Mykeru, Franc and Stephen Fry in the same room. Should be interesting...
A Critical Mass?
We call it Covenant these days...
Turn the Coven up to Fahrenheit 451.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sara and DJ, I don't know. Russell and Miranda used to post on the original ERV Slimepit. I must say Russell was a model of politness.
Thank you for correcting my ignorance

Russell is very polite indeed - great X-Men fan too!
Not to mention he's a swell guy who sends a hard cover book all the way from the other side of the world. And signs it! (yeah, sorry, I like signed stuff sometimes)
I'm NOT jealous.

Honest

My claim to fame? I NEARLY had a pint with Richard Dawkins!

He'd just finished a lecture in Oxford and was on his way to a dinner, some arsehole had chained his bike to theirs and he had to mess around getting the damn thing cut - I MISSED A PINT WITH THE MAN!!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I must admit, when visiting the Oxford Natural History Museum a few years ago, I was on the lookout for a wild Dawkins. I'm a fanboy!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sara and DJ, I don't know. Russell and Miranda used to post on the original ERV Slimepit. I must say Russell was a model of politness.

Not to mention he's a swell guy who sends a hard cover book all the way from the other side of the world. And signs it! (yeah, sorry, I like signed stuff sometimes)
I'm NOT jealous.

Honest

He'd just finished a lecture in Oxford and was on his way to a dinner, some arsehole had chained his bike to theirs and he had to mess around getting the damn thing cut - I MISSED A PINT WITH THE MAN!!
That's nothing.
My daughter and I explicitly chose to not pester Dawkins at the buffet at GAC 2012 despite him literally 'rubbing shoulders' with me in the queue. (I was wearing my priest's dog-collar at the time, and my daughter was dressed as a naughty Catholic school-girl)

I am not cut out to be much of a pathetic 'fan-boy', and figured he could do with a sane person not molesting him whilst he chose his lunch.
My daughter and I did discuss potentially approaching Richard, and then asked ourselves "why would we do that?" and immediately concluded that the sole reason would be to boost our own egos at the expense of his comfort.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:

I'm NOT jealous.

Honest

We should have broken into that guy's house and confiscated his tea. THAT would have shown him.

aqi

Post by aqi »

masakari2012 wrote:Part of a comment over at Harriet's blog...
What a hateful, snarky comment she wrote above. Makes me want to chastise Rebecca for vomiting so much, after nights of drinking, in her shared cabin on that cruise that her roomie had to help clean both the room and Rebecca, and paid the cabin attendant extra tips out of her own pocket for his trouble. Because, you know, that would be MEAN and spiteful. And belittling people because you disagree with them isn’t intelligent, or respectful, or professional.
That comment (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ent-112711) was about Kitty Mervine, the roommate of Rebecca Watson on the Alaska Amazing Adventure 2, who has already vented anonymously a number of times.

http://twodifferentgirls.com/2012/09/25 ... -of-juneau

Looks like Geek Goddess has put up with enough too.

Philip of Tealand

Jonathan wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:

I'm NOT jealous.

Honest

We should have broken into that guy's house and confiscated his tea. THAT would have shown him.
I did get to have a pint with you that night but I don't think we were drunk enough to break in to Richard's house! :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:

I'm NOT jealous.

Honest

That's nothing.
My daughter and I explicitly chose to not pester Dawkins at the buffet at GAC 2012 despite him literally 'rubbing shoulders' with me in the queue. (I was wearing my priest's dog-collar at the time, and my daughter was dressed as a naughty Catholic school-girl)

I am not cut out to be much of a pathetic 'fan-boy', and figured he could do with a sane person not molesting him whilst he chose his lunch.
My daughter and I did discuss potentially approaching Richard, and then asked ourselves "why would we do that?" and immediately concluded that the sole reason would be to boost our own egos at the expense of his comfort.
Well, I'd probably sell my own mother to spend an evening with the guy. Not to boost my ego, but just to have a challenging exchange of ideas. If I were right beside him in a bread line? Meh, not gonna bother the guy (except to ask if he'd like to buy my mother)...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Did you know that a survey showed that 34% of blokes say that:
they like their smart-phone as much as they like sex?
For me, they are similar.
About 5 inches long, and have seen more than their share of Angry Birds.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And a quick C-C-Combo Break from the funsies:

I don't care if people identify as queer, trans, hetero, homo, whateverthefuck.

I see them as people. If they want to put their identity first and personality second, I wont care much about what they have to say.

really.

Regarding "queer", look at the heading of the wikipedia entry for it:
Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities [1] that are not heterosexual, heteronormative, or gender-binary. In the context of Western identity politics the term also acts as a label setting queer-identifying people apart from discourse, ideologies, and lifestyles that typify mainstream LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) communities as being oppressive or assimilationist.
This term is generally controversial because it was reappropriated to an extent in the 1990s from its use as an anti-gay epithet. Furthermore, some LGBT people disapprove of using queer as a catch-all because they consider it offensive, derisive or self-deprecating given its continuous use as a form of hate speech. Other LGBT people may avoid queer because they associate it with political radicalism, or simply because they perceive it as the faddish slang of a "younger generation."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:Did you know that a survey showed that 34% of blokes say that:
5 inches? poor you...

Philip of Tealand

Michael K Gray wrote: That's nothing.

If Richard ever approached me and said "OMFG - You're PHILIP! I nearly had a pint with you! Can I have your autograph?" I'm quite sure I'd be good with it

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And I've just realized I posted that queer stuff in response to a comment on Hall's post.

Do I look stoopid now (not a question)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If I were right beside him in a bread line? Meh, not gonna bother the guy (except to ask if he'd like to buy my mother)...
Funny you should mention that.
It was a bargaining tool not retracted from the potential armamentarium.
My mum would be all for it. Replacing Lalla Ward? You betcha!
Substituting for the vegetarian¹ Vietnamese rice-wraps? Not so keen.

¹ The Aussie bloody philosopher Peter Singer was a speaker, and insisted that a condition of him attending was that about half the buffet comprised of ethical vegetarian foods. And bloody tasty they were too!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Did you know that a survey showed that 34% of blokes say that:
5 inches? poor you...
My phone is no longer a brick...

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Philip of Tealand wrote:I did get to have a pint with you that night but I don't think we were drunk enough to break in to Richard's house! :D
Not to mention I left all my burglary stuff at home. Let's face it, the logistics were just all wrong.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:If Richard ever approached me and said "OMFG - You're PHILIP! I nearly had a pint with you! Can I have your autograph?" I'm quite sure I'd be good with it
You read my mind, sir!
Here. Have a caddy-full of finest Ceylon Tea, ethically picked from the Dilmah Tea-placery-farmy-thingy

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand:
Tea does more for womens' empowerment in a millisecond than Watson has done in a life-time, courtesy of Dilmah:
[youtube]4dxJkraUodo[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

From Harriet Hall's comment section.
# S. Madisonon 19 Feb 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi Geek Goddess,

I’m not young, hip, cute, and hard-drinking enough to get hit on either. I still have the thin thing going, but it’s the way too thin variety that makes me unattractive (I know this because women have told me so).

And, I understand where you’re coming from. No one gives a damn what I have to say either, despite years of participation in, and monetary support of, skeptical endeavors. I, too, am tired.

That Rebecca can make such a self-centered and insulting rebuttal to Dr. Hall, yet still get support from any skeptics in this community is appalling. Her “feminism” messaging has been almost exclusively negative and, as a result, has been detrimental to the community. And now she expects to be taken seriously while railing against those who have earned our respect through amazing life achievements.

Well, here are some words of wisdom for Rebecca from an old, unhip, uncute, too thin, person who has never been a hard-drinker.

1) If you want to be treated with dignity and respect, you need to behave with dignity and a respectful manner towards others.

2) If you want to be treated with empathy and compassion, you need to exhibit those qualities.

3) If you want to be taken seriously you need to engage in well-reasoned debate and not use dismissive, insulting snark as your most common response to disagreement.

4) If you want to be considered a skeptic, you must exhibit introspection, own your mistakes and apologize for them.

I have watched Rebecca for years, and although I appreciated her enthusiasm, I felt she lacked wisdom. I hoped that she would gain some wisdom and, therefore, deserve her place on stage. Unfortunately, she has not. Rebecca is the antithesis of what we should expect as good role models for skepticism, because she refuses to listen to, and learn from, those who have acquired wisdom through education and experience. And, she seems incapable of reexamining her own thinking.

How’s that for a rant, GG? I fully admit that it has nothing to do with Dr. Hall’s post and, therefore, is a complete derail. But I’m fed up with Rebecca’s antics and her dismissal of women like you and Dr. Hall who, through your intelligence and determination, have broken through huge barriers and made the world a better place for women. Rebecca, OTOH, is driving women away with her insistence that the community isn’t safe, and by her ugly behavior which women like you and I want no part of.

decius

Post by decius »

rocko2466 wrote:Yeah, also haven't seen Rystefn lately.
Sadly, he was unwell. It might have to do with his attempts to eat via rectal infusion or to clean his ears with a power drill.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

decius wrote:
Sadly, he was unwell. It might have to do with his attempts to eat via rectal infusion or to clean his ears with a power drill.
Hurt himself while trying to iron his shirt with a vacuum cleaner.

(Jokes aside, he's not so well. I hope he'll be back soon)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:
It could be from lipstick-poisoning, courtesy of Sherlock's erstwhile partner.
There are forensic snapshots that show that actual incident.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
decius wrote:
Hurt himself while trying to iron his shirt with a vacuum cleaner.

(Jokes aside, he's not so well. I hope he'll be back soon)
Burned his ear whilst ironing, when the phone rang?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

MKG: Second album is "The Fall of an Empire". Glad you like it. But Score to a New Beginning is something else...

Philip of Tealand

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:If Richard ever approached me and said "OMFG - You're PHILIP! I nearly had a pint with you! Can I have your autograph?" I'm quite sure I'd be good with it
You read my mind, sir!
Here. Have a caddy-full of finest Ceylon Tea, ethically picked from the Dilmah Tea-placery-farmy-thingy
And you sir may have a Jet-Propelled Guided NAAFI, I hope it fits!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:MKG: Second album is "The Fall of an Empire". Glad you like it. But Score to a New Beginning is something else...
I was hoping that you would ignore my crass chronological error.
It occurred to me a millisecond before I pressed [SEND].
But that is the story of my life.

Philip of Tealand

For those of you unfamiliar with a Jet Propelled Guided NAAFI, the explanation is as follows:

A self-contained missile capable of carrying eighty-two staff, ten NAAFI pianos, sixty thousand gallons of tea and twelve tons of buttered crumpets, being shot six thousand miles up and set fully operative at the point of impact in sixteen seconds.

decius

Post by decius »

MKG, you're no true Aussie, are you? For I know that all distinguished Antipodeans hold this char-guzzling wanker in great contempt.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
You read my mind, sir!
And you sir may have a Jet-Propelled Guided NAAFI, I hope it fits!
Nurse! The screens!
Oh dear, what will the neighbours think. No wonder I'm no longer invited to parties.
Errrhh! Singhiz Things? Lay out my dhoti and purple suede suit.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:MKG, you're no true Aussie, are you? For I know that all distinguished Antipodeans hold this char-guzzling wanker in great contempt.
To whom do you refer as a "this char[sic]-guzzling wanker"?
Elucidate, please.

decius

Post by decius »

To Philip himself. "Char" being a deliberate affectation on my part and an archaic Pom slang word for tea.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote:From Harriet Hall's comment section.
# S. Madisonon 19 Feb 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi Geek Goddess,

I’m not young, hip, cute, and hard-drinking enough to get hit on either. I still have the thin thing going, but it’s the way too thin variety that makes me unattractive (I know this because women have told me so).

And, I understand where you’re coming from. No one gives a damn what I have to say either, despite years of participation in, and monetary support of, skeptical endeavors. I, too, am tired.

That Rebecca can make such a self-centered and insulting rebuttal to Dr. Hall, yet still get support from any skeptics in this community is appalling. Her “feminism” messaging has been almost exclusively negative and, as a result, has been detrimental to the community. And now she expects to be taken seriously while railing against those who have earned our respect through amazing life achievements.

Well, here are some words of wisdom for Rebecca from an old, unhip, uncute, too thin, person who has never been a hard-drinker.

1) If you want to be treated with dignity and respect, you need to behave with dignity and a respectful manner towards others.

2) If you want to be treated with empathy and compassion, you need to exhibit those qualities.

3) If you want to be taken seriously you need to engage in well-reasoned debate and not use dismissive, insulting snark as your most common response to disagreement.

4) If you want to be considered a skeptic, you must exhibit introspection, own your mistakes and apologize for them.

I have watched Rebecca for years, and although I appreciated her enthusiasm, I felt she lacked wisdom. I hoped that she would gain some wisdom and, therefore, deserve her place on stage. Unfortunately, she has not. Rebecca is the antithesis of what we should expect as good role models for skepticism, because she refuses to listen to, and learn from, those who have acquired wisdom through education and experience. And, she seems incapable of reexamining her own thinking.

How’s that for a rant, GG? I fully admit that it has nothing to do with Dr. Hall’s post and, therefore, is a complete derail. But I’m fed up with Rebecca’s antics and her dismissal of women like you and Dr. Hall who, through your intelligence and determination, have broken through huge barriers and made the world a better place for women. Rebecca, OTOH, is driving women away with her insistence that the community isn’t safe, and by her ugly behavior which women like you and I want no part of.
Perfect. However, since Rebecca Watson only did a single insult-and-flounce there, she'll never see it, or pretend she hasn't. She's a true fundie; nothing will ever sunk into that thick pride-filled head of hers. Interesting how a significant portion of that thread has derailed into a wide variety of people telling Watson just how poisonous she is. And with minimal Pit contributions either. The pounding Watson is taking is coming from people older, more experienced in feminism, and far wiser than she. That catty, dismissive post Watson made to Dr. Hall will be remembered by a lot of people as a very bad move on her part, one that shows exactly what an immature attention seeking self-promoter she really is. I'd like to think at least a few more people learned just how vacuous and unpleasant Rebecca Watson is after reading that thread.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:To Philip himself. "Char" being a deliberate affectation on my part and an archaic Pom slang word for tea.
Ah.
Sarcasm.
That triggers my innate disability, as I was born sarcasm-impaired, and never could be arsed to learn about it, as it suited my lazy victim-hood mentality, and you're doubling-down both by mis-spelling it, (it is really spelled "Cha"), and gender racially mis-attributing the word! It is trooly-rooly fuckin' ethnic Chinky-poo Cantonese, but the Poms stole it from the Eskimos, for whom "cha" was a yummy & nutritious brew of Narwhal gizzards.

The Dutch word for "tea" (thee) comes from the Chink Min dialect, thereby Minimising the oppressed queer cultures involved in their tea-related word-churning industries. To even THINK otherwise is to oppress me. (You cunt)

"Char" is either to heat ligin to a black¹ crispness, the product thereof, or to offend me personally and all I stand for.
And to deny that latter fact is to be a dicktionary tea-ist.

Repent ye now!
Withdraw your accusation against my fragile ego, whatever it was!

Philip of Tealand

Michael K Gray wrote:
decius wrote:MKG, you're no true Aussie, are you? For I know that all distinguished Antipodeans hold this char-guzzling wanker in great contempt.
Elucidate, please.
Michael, ignore him, he's got "coffee issues"

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Elucidate, please.
So have I!
Coffee gives me crippling migraines.
I cannot even stand the smell of it, such is the correlation between coffee and seemingly interminable searing knife-stabbing pain.
If a friend(!) should request that I meet them at a trendy café, I tell them to fuck off, as even smelling one of them there steam-thingies wot extract the essence from the foul beans is enough to make me puke.
Pub, park, library, dungeon? Yes.
Café? No way.

Here I am, an outcast, who's only non-ethanol-laced drink is the finest fermented then brewed Tea that nature can offer!

decius

Post by decius »

I will respectfully triple-down, sir. The misspelling exists, but it's an artefact of congenital Pommie ineptitude for foreign languages, which is precisely why I deliberately chose that more archaic variant.

http://virtuallinguist.typepad.com/the_ ... 5/tea.html
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meanin ... on-of/char

decius

Post by decius »

Michael K Gray wrote: So have I!
I cannot even stand the smell of it, such is the correlation between coffee and seemingly interminable searing knife-stabbing pain.
If a friend(!) should request that I meet them at a trendy café, I tell them to fuck off, as even smelling one of them there steam-thingies wot extract the essence from the foul beans is enough to make me puke.
Café? No way.

Here I am, an outcast, who's only non-ethanol-laced drink is the finest fermented then brewed Tea that nature can offer!
Like I said, no true Aussie. I'll notify the relevant authorities of the venerable country you're squatting in and have you forcibly removed.

Philip of Tealand

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Elucidate, please.
So have I!
Café? No way.

(Decius is actually one of the best of people and a man I'm proud to call a friend, but shhhh don't you dare fucking tell him!)

Sir the day I cast you out is the day I put Skradge in the Tea-pot

Coffee turns people into foul beings, one guzzle of the putrescent liquid and they turn into a pseudo Watson - whereby everything they say or do is right and make drive by posts around the internet to insult and pillory the good Tea drinkers with their haughty delusions of grandeur!

Not that I'm singling out a group and making horrible assumptions and stories about them...

;)

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

aqi wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:Part of a comment over at Harriet's blog...
What a hateful, snarky comment she wrote above. Makes me want to chastise Rebecca for vomiting so much, after nights of drinking, in her shared cabin on that cruise that her roomie had to help clean both the room and Rebecca, and paid the cabin attendant extra tips out of her own pocket for his trouble. Because, you know, that would be MEAN and spiteful. And belittling people because you disagree with them isn’t intelligent, or respectful, or professional.
That comment (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ent-112711) was about Kitty Mervine, the roommate of Rebecca Watson on the Alaska Amazing Adventure 2, who has already vented anonymously a number of times.

http://twodifferentgirls.com/2012/09/25 ... -of-juneau

Looks like Geek Goddess has put up with enough too.
The Greek Goddess linky comes up as an unsafe website according to my security software. Anyone got a screencap?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

decius wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: So have I!
Café? No way.
Like I said, no true Aussie. I'll notify the relevant authorities of the venerable country you're squatting in and have you forcibly removed.
Some fucking hope.
I have an aversion to coffee, but a strong attraction to ethanol and political anarchism.
(And bank holdups wearing iron armour whilst speaking in a criminal Irish accent)
What could be more Aussie than that, apart from a predilection for breakfast goanna fat, and charming wallabies from a hole using a didgeridoo?

And, if I am convicted, what is the penalty to be? Deportation to the colonies? I may get to see Canadialand after all!
Yay.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

New Noelplum99 blog: Rape Culture, Or Just Culture:

http://noelplum99.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... lture.html

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote: Perfect. However, since Rebecca Watson only did a single insult-and-flounce there, she'll never see it, or pretend she hasn't. She's a true fundie; nothing will ever sunk into that thick pride-filled head of hers. Interesting how a significant portion of that thread has derailed into a wide variety of people telling Watson just how poisonous she is. And with minimal Pit contributions either. The pounding Watson is taking is coming from people older, more experienced in feminism, and far wiser than she. That catty, dismissive post Watson made to Dr. Hall will be remembered by a lot of people as a very bad move on her part, one that shows exactly what an immature attention seeking self-promoter she really is. I'd like to think at least a few more people learned just how vacuous and unpleasant Rebecca Watson is after reading that thread.
For this middle-aged atheist, one of the best things about the comments on Hall's post is the number of people with experience and wisdom speaking out against Watson's toxicity. At times it seems to me that the FtB/Skepchicks contingent enforces the notion that if you're a woman and you aspire to prominence and recognition in the A/S/rad-feminism movement, you must be (relatively) young and hip (ster) - if you're no longer young, you must nevertheless aspire to hipster fashionability and maintain the appearance and behavior of a hard-partying sorority sister. The focus on trendiness, cuteness, and a certain kind of sociability is bizarre, IMO, and I think several of the commenters on Hall's post have expressed that.

Age is a weird thing for skeptics to focus on, for either the purpose of insults and criticism, or for a particular appearance and behavior goal. No one can do a damn thing about their age. You can do things to stay healthier and more active as you age, you can remain young in spirit, you can dress and act like someone much younger, but you can't change your actual age. If you look at the Wikipedia entries for most of the skeptics who have them (Rebecca, PZ, Greta, Harriet Hall), there's a date of birth listed. Not so for Ophelia. Why is that? I don't think she should be embarrassed about her age, for the reason I just mentioned, but it seems odd that it's some sort of secret.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:
Gumby wrote: Perfect. However, since Rebecca Watson only did a single insult-and-flounce there, she'll never see it, or pretend she hasn't. She's a true fundie; nothing will ever sunk into that thick pride-filled head of hers. Interesting how a significant portion of that thread has derailed into a wide variety of people telling Watson just how poisonous she is. And with minimal Pit contributions either. The pounding Watson is taking is coming from people older, more experienced in feminism, and far wiser than she. That catty, dismissive post Watson made to Dr. Hall will be remembered by a lot of people as a very bad move on her part, one that shows exactly what an immature attention seeking self-promoter she really is. I'd like to think at least a few more people learned just how vacuous and unpleasant Rebecca Watson is after reading that thread.
For this middle-aged atheist, one of the best things about the comments on Hall's post is the number of people with experience and wisdom speaking out against Watson's toxicity. At times it seems to me that the FtB/Skepchicks contingent enforces the notion that if you're a woman and you aspire to prominence and recognition in the A/S/rad-feminism movement, you must be (relatively) young and hip (ster) - if you're no longer young, you must nevertheless aspire to hipster fashionability and maintain the appearance and behavior of a hard-partying sorority sister. The focus on trendiness, cuteness, and a certain kind of sociability is bizarre, IMO, and I think several of the commenters on Hall's post have expressed that.

Age is a weird thing for skeptics to focus on, for either the purpose of insults and criticism, or for a particular appearance and behavior goal. No one can do a damn thing about their age. You can do things to stay healthier and more active as you age, you can remain young in spirit, you can dress and act like someone much younger, but you can't change your actual age. If you look at the Wikipedia entries for most of the skeptics who have them (Rebecca, PZ, Greta, Harriet Hall), there's a date of birth listed. Not so for Ophelia. Why is that? I don't think she should be embarrassed about her age, for the reason I just mentioned, but it seems odd that it's some sort of secret.
I suspect that the reason for this is that she isn't, in fact, that old; she just looks a lot older than she really is.
I remember a comment somewhere that mentioned her as being in her forties. She relies on the impression that she is a lot older, and is therefore deserving of the type of respect normally given to the elder, more experienced, figures in the movement. This explains her frequent whines that people are criticizing her because she is 'old and ugly'.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I suspect that the reason for this is that she isn't, in fact, that old; she just looks a lot older than she really is.
I remember a comment somewhere that mentioned her as being in her forties. She relies on the impression that she is a lot older, and is therefore deserving of the type of respect normally given to the elder, more experienced, figures in the movement. This explains her frequent whines that people are criticizing her because she is 'old and ugly'.
It would also give her an "excuse" for not being gainfully employed, if she's younger than the typical Merkin retirement age. Pensioner Ophelia, scraping together her pennies to jaunt off to Ireland.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Michael K Gray wrote:
decius wrote:To Philip himself. "Char" being a deliberate affectation on my part and an archaic Pom slang word for tea.
Ah.
Sarcasm.
That triggers my innate disability, as I was born sarcasm-impaired, and never could be arsed to learn about it, as it suited my lazy victim-hood mentality, and you're doubling-down both by mis-spelling it, (it is really spelled "Cha"), and gender racially mis-attributing the word! It is trooly-rooly fuckin' ethnic Chinky-poo Cantonese, but the Poms stole it from the Eskimos, for whom "cha" was a yummy & nutritious brew of Narwhal gizzards.

The Dutch word for "tea" (thee) comes from the Chink Min dialect, thereby Minimising the oppressed queer cultures involved in their tea-related word-churning industries. To even THINK otherwise is to oppress me. (You cunt)

"Char" is either to heat ligin to a black¹ crispness, the product thereof, or to offend me personally and all I stand for.

Repent ye now!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

BarnOwl wrote:For this middle-aged atheist, one of the best things about the comments on Hall's post is the number of people with experience and wisdom speaking out against Watson's toxicity. At times it seems to me that the FtB/Skepchicks contingent enforces the notion that if you're a woman and you aspire to prominence and recognition in the A/S/rad-feminism movement, you must be (relatively) young and hip (ster) - if you're no longer young, you must nevertheless aspire to hipster fashionability and maintain the appearance and behavior of a hard-partying sorority sister. The focus on trendiness, cuteness, and a certain kind of sociability is bizarre, IMO, and I think several of the commenters on Hall's post have expressed that.

As someone about a year younger than Watson, I couldn't agree more. If there's one thing I've noticed about sceptics and age, it's that the ones who have been around longer have had time to gather more interesting stories to tell. That's about it. In the accusation of people being "old white men", it's the "old" that has struck me as the most odd. I can see where they're coming from with "white" and "men" even if I don't agree, but "old"? To describe that as some kind of character flaw is simply bizarre.

Time happens, there's nothing to do about that. You'd think that if older peoples' objectionable views were so bad, it'd be easy to criticise those instead of metaphorically shouting "I hate you I hate you I hate you, you're not my real parents and I wish you were dead".

AnotherLurkerMkII

Post by AnotherLurkerMkII »

justinvacula wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Ah.
Sarcasm.

Repent ye now!

How the hell Greta hacked into Vacula's account?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

AnotherLurkerMkII wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Ah.
Sarcasm.

Repent ye now!

How the hell Greta hacked into Vacula's account?
She got Laden to help her, obviously.

welch

Post by welch »

Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Elucidate, please.
So have I!
Café? No way.

(Decius is actually one of the best of people and a man I'm proud to call a friend, but shhhh don't you dare fucking tell him!)

Sir the day I cast you out is the day I put Skradge in the Tea-pot

Coffee turns people into foul beings, one guzzle of the putrescent liquid and they turn into a pseudo Watson - whereby everything they say or do is right and make drive by posts around the internet to insult and pillory the good Tea drinkers with their haughty delusions of grandeur!

Not that I'm singling out a group and making horrible assumptions and stories about them...

;)
Both of you weak little coffee haters can fuck off. Give me an endless supply of Cuban coffee, and I'm the happiest person ever.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just logged on to Twitter, to find that my account is currently suspended. :lol:

That's after, what - 3 days? Without directing a single tweet at a baboon. Hmmm...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ah - seems I've been following other users too aggressively. Well, that is about 80 in three days, so...don't go blaming Ooley just yet!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

OH, wait - hang on. What's this?
This account, @Tigzy_J, was suspended for following other users too aggressively.

Following is a way to receive information in your timeline, from a person, company, or organization. However, a disproportionately large number of the users you followed have blocked your account or reported your account as spam. For more information about following best practices, please review the Following limits and best practices.
Well, the only person I followed who could conceivably not want to be followed by me is Natalie Reed. So I think I'd best go check to see if I've been added to the block bot list...

acathode

Post by acathode »

On Harriet Halls blogpost:

A wild Rebecca Watson appears!
She uses vapid snark!
It's super ineffective!

I'm just wondering what the point of Watson's comment was. Hall's post wasn't about her, the things Watson writes in her comment is almost completely OT, and the thinly veiled insult and snark makes Watson seem like a juvenile, bickering dramaqueen, which is not lost on most of the commenters, as they apparently left high school decades ago (both physically and mentally).

Just what was going through Watson's head when she wrote that drivel? There were nothing in the post aimed at Watson that required her to defend herself, so why show up like that and make an utter fool out of herself?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

And here's the likely evidence that the Block Bot results in user suspensions:
The Block Bot The Block Bot ‏@The_Block_Bot

I just added https://twitter.com/tigzy_j to my blocklist #FTBullies
https://twitter.com/The_Block_Bot/statu ... 5039940608

Again, I made no tweets that were directed at any baboons - no mention of any bab had the @ prefix.

Seems my little experiment worked out then. :whistle:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

acathode wrote:On Harriet Halls blogpost:

A wild Rebecca Watson appears!
She uses vapid snark!
It's super ineffective!

I'm just wondering what the point of Watson's comment was. Hall's post wasn't about her, the things Watson writes in her comment is almost completely OT, and the thinly veiled insult and snark makes Watson seem like a juvenile, bickering dramaqueen, which is not lost on most of the commenters, as they apparently left high school decades ago (both physically and mentally).

Just what was going through Watson's head when she wrote that drivel? There were nothing in the post aimed at Watson that required her to defend herself, so why show up like that and make an utter fool out of herself?
Probably because Hall attacked one of the Skepchicks, Will.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Here's a version of ool0n's blocklist without the rest of the bullshit on his page.
No registering necessary. http://x2t.com/blocklist

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Once again the A+ers are pushing the line that racism isn't racism if the person or people don't have institutional power behind them.

Just where the hell does this "definition" come from? Checked four or five different dictionaries and none of them deem racism to require institutional power; just discrimination based on race.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:Here's a version of ool0n's blocklist without the rest of the bullshit on his page.
No registering necessary. http://x2t.com/blocklist
There's nearly two hundred twitter accounts there!
Are those two nitwits still trying to convince people that their objective is to block only those accounts persistantly making unwanted tweets at FTBers?
Bollocks.