Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
Corylus

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by Corylus »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Can someone explain to me how I just received a pizza delivery lifelet with the Halal logo and some offerings with ham and other pork products?
It might well be turkey ham you do see it a bit in fast food places run by Muslims in the UK. The Muslim's know it is poultry, the non-Muslims think it is ham. Everyone is happy. Yes, fans of actual ham might find it tasteless, but let's face it, if you are ordering takeaway pizza then you don't have a palate anyway.

I don't eat any meat so I don't have to worry and, at the present time, I am rather glad to be in this position. :shock:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

nippletwister wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
cunt wrote:You don't have the right not to be offended. What does that even mean. You have the right to be offended, but I don't care.
"You don't have the right to be offended" is one of the most offensive (HA!) bits of bullshit to come out of "movement" Atheism. Of course you have the right to be offended. What you don't have is the right to allow that offence to stifle my free expression. Unfortunately, by embracing that idiotic mantra "movement" atheists opened the door for a whole host of illogical bullshit from the New Media Douchebags and their SJW minions.

maybe it's the wording, but I don't understand the problem.

The phrase is "You don't have the right to not be offended." I think "You don't have the right to never be offended" would be more clear. It's saying that you don't get to go through society expecting everyone to stifle themselves for your benefit. "Never being offended by people's words", is not a "right" that any reasonable person could expect to have, and is in direct conflict with freedom of speech.

When people get offended by criticism (as religious folks and feminists often do), they often expect to be able to shut down the criticism or conversation by saying they are offended. No "decent person"would try to offend them, so by offending them, you are not being a decent person, not showing them enough respect to refrain from criticizing their beliefs. They confuse respect for a person with respect for a person's irrational beliefs.

...and they do not have the right to never be offended, but I do have the right to free speech.

That's all it was ever supposed to mean, as far as I can tell. And now that feminism rather than religion is under the microscope, some people were wishing it hadn't been such a popular idea.
When I replied to Angry_drunk I assume he left the word 'not' out and by 'movement' atheists he is talking about rad fems. My initial reading was the same as yours. If I am wrong hopefully he will correct me as I agree with your position.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Surly Amy vs Angry Birds is a classic

http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... fy.co_gExQ

I wonder at which point she didn't know that using copyrighted and trademarked images is ... well a copyright or trademark violation ... oh wait, yeah she thinks people making ceramic jewellery are breaking her copyright ... OK, so she knows fuck all about copyright and trademarks.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
cunt wrote:Well yeah, to be fair who knows if it actually works. Who cares. I just meant the accounts primary raison d'être is to wind people up.
I've got to disagree with you on that one. The account exists to give the slimy turd a sense of power. "Winding people up" is just part of the means to that end.
The bot is nothing more than Oolon's attempt to ingratiate himself with the FTB assmunches. It's an electronic suck-up machine.

Oh, and welcome, Karla.

Git

Post by Git »

Damn it, I fucked the kitteh picture quoting up. Meh.

welch

Post by welch »

karlaporter wrote:
cunt wrote:Hi Karla. Go fuck yourself. Bwahahaha.
Living up to your self-imposed reputation quickly I see.
It's the traditional greeting for new people.

I'm always unsure of what the 'bad' part about it is:

1) being told to fuck off. Admittedly, rude.
2) That being told to fuck off is a tradition.
3) That in being told to fuck off as a tradition, it means you're not even really told that as a specific individual, but you just happen to be new, so really, you're not special.

It's thoughts like those that kept me out of the good schools.

That, and i'm an asshole. So yeah.

welch

Post by welch »

Now what that man does to rice IS a fucking crime.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Welcome Karla.

Be prepared for all kinds of shit from the Baboons. If it wasn't bad enough that you are a woman who doesn't share the Creepy Clown agenda (that makes you a "chill girl", "gender traitor", "sister punisher", or something), or that you are a friend of that well known evil misogynist Justin Vacula, you have now broken the 1st Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Post At The Slyme Pit.

Oh, and Jean Kazaz will be FURIOUS.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

D J Grothe speaking in Manchester, UK. Relevant to PZ et al.

[youtube]v=3sZZ6J0QkB4[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Git wrote:Damn it, I fucked the kitteh picture quoting up. Meh.
you fucked a picture of a cat?

DUDE!

Just masturbate to it like a normal person!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Second try

[youtube]3sZZ6J0QkB4[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Welcome Karla.

Be prepared for all kinds of shit from the Baboons. If it wasn't bad enough that you are a woman who doesn't share the Creepy Clown agenda (that makes you a "chill girl", "gender traitor", "sister punisher", or something), or that you are a friend of that well known evil misogynist Justin Vacula, you have now broken the 1st Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Post At The Slyme Pit.

To be fair, pissing Kazaz off is not exactly calculus.

welch

Post by welch »

Yay! "LIfe before the dinosaurs" is just on temporary hiatus because of third grade.

(Yes, I love that blog, and I have been sad that there have been no recent posts. The kid does good work)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

OK, although just posted to youtube it is an old speech from March 2012.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:Yeah meanwhile you haven't listened to the podcast so who's the cunt, cunt?
Because you know that contradicts my worldview, and thus you hope to tangle me into denial about my special and pwecious view of realty.

That is cuntish behaviour. And besides you are a cunt, your name spells cunt and you behave like a cunt.
Haha, just out of interest how often does the enemies list come up on AVFM and whats the usual response? Apart from anything else, do they even know how bad it makes them look?
I do not think there is too much objection to the list, and while it does come up now and then, to the best of my knowledge only one guy tried to formally debate Elan about it (technical default, did not respond within the time alloted for responses).

As for making AVfM look "bad" I do not see that on the radar at all. You have made it clear the connotations this has for you in the UK. Paul is American so he is completely "tone deaf", as I am to that sort of linkage. You can make the argument, it just fails to register.

I also seriously doubt, although time will tell that the MRA side has people like Meir Weinstein and Irv Rubin on board (not yet anyway).

If some nutjob actually takes it upon himself to beat the crap out of people, firebomb their mailbox, or send them pipe bombs like David Barbarash I expect it would happen to Paul Elam, not anyone on his list.

I personally have a considerable amount of ambivalence about the "register her" business however. While I do agree with many on the names currently on the list, some of them fall into the category of "why even bother?".

Unfortunately, we are apparently in a war with a set of unprincipled, immoral, vicious, and cowardly manipulators who will stop at nothing to achieve their aims, and which in the case of some individuals, apparently includes the extermination of 90% of males.

I am certain you will agree with me though, that just having the list itself, is problematic from quite a few perspectives including the slippery slope angle and the question of who decides what, not to mention becoming what you fight.

However, as far as I am concerned, this makes me no better that Twatson, Laden, and PeeZuss Christ and OB on this point.

Fortunately, I never claimed to be a saint, or indeed ever fooled myself about that. Just because I have not actually done anything, or intend to, does not automatically place me on a higher moral plane that those people. The desire is there, but fortunately, so is my self-restraint.

On the other hand, I firmly disagree with the jury nullification business that Elam advocates (if I understand him correctly). It is my conceit that despite the best efforts of the sexual grievance industry and people like Amanda "if a man is accused he is guilty" Marcott, that for the most part the jury will free the falsely accused (and I really hope this version of reality is true).

Our laws came about for principled and justifiable reasons. If the laws are being manipulated, we need to go after the actors doing so, not render the laws null and void (simplistic yes, add your own nuance as needed).

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:For that reason, I don't trust anything that comes from Jihad-Watch, Islam-Watch, MEMRI, IDF, Press TV, etc, the obvious propaganda sites and networks, until I thoroughly check it myself first. Of course, that should be the proper reaction to anything in the media, but especially from places like that. Bob Pitt is no better than Robert Spencer in that regard.
Memri is very accurate though - their translations are by native Arab speakers, and the people who cast aspersions on them are generally non-Arab speakers with obvious agendas.

The bigger issue of course is why all these shills-for-Islam amongst the totalitarian left don't remember their history and what happened to the Tudeh party in Iran post-revolution.
Git, I worry about you. On several occasions, MEMRI has been criticised for their inaccurate--maybe even deliberately inaccurate--translations and mostly for the Mickey Mouse episode. Criticisms for this can be found here, here and here.

Not to mention that MEMRI (Middle East Media Research Institute) is founded by a former colonel in the Israeli military intelligence (a branch of the IDF) and another who's an Israeli-born American political scientist who wrote a report that focused on enforcing "Western values" and abandoning peace talks with the Palestinians. With this in consideration, it would be naive of me to presume they don't have an axe to grind or an agenda they wish to profess. Bear in mind, this criticism of MEMRI is not something that exists in a vaccuum; it's been around for quite some time, so therefore I'm surprised that you didn't know about it.

(And just to clarify, I don't take the words from their detractors at face value either. However, regarding the several reported cases of inaccuracy [either from interested or disinterested parties], it casts doubts on MEMRI's version of events. So I don't trust them. At least, I treat them with considerably more scrutiny. [Just as I do with other sources with an obvious slant, like PressTV, Jihad Watch, Islam Watch, and so on. It's only prudent.])

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I think that I see your problem. It's all in French. No wonder you were confused.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Jack wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Jack? Who is that blokey in your avatar? He reminds me of a white version of Uncle Ben.
Bertrand Russell. He was one of the first, if not the first, atheist commentator on UK TV.

I chose him as:

1. DPR Jones uses Alan Turing

2. He is very white, very male, very privileged and very old (so much so that he's dead) That's for bonus annoyance points at FTB/A+.

3. He did a lot towards promoting atheism and rational thinking long before most of us were born.

4. He was not known to wear fluvogs.

He came up with several things we still use today in arguments (or similar) such as Russell's Teapot regarding the burden of proof https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot
Russell is one of my intellectual heroes. I discovered his work when I was about 19. He was one of the great intellects of the 20th century. (Died 1970, age 97.) Aside from atheism, mathematics and philosophy, he spoke and wrote books on a wide variety of subjects including science, education and ethics.

Here's a BBC interview of Russell from 1959.

[youtube]1bZv3pSaLtY[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Surly Amy vs Angry Birds is a classic

I wonder at which point she didn't know that using copyrighted and trademarked images is ... well a copyright or trademark violation ... oh wait, yeah she thinks people making ceramic jewellery are breaking her copyright ... OK, so she knows fuck all about copyright and trademarks.
There was definitely some cognitive dissonance. Seemingly you can DMCA someone for using a picture of you on the internet without your permission (even though it would fall squarely in the 'Fair Use' clause), however making and *selling* jewellery featuring characters and IP's of someone else's copyright is perfectly okay (and legal, apparently). Except, of course, for the part where she makes a profit off them. Frankly I'm surprised she has never been sued for it. Internet piracy be damned, what she did was honest to Gordon copyright infringement.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I'm a bit worried about Karla's choice in spectacles!
They look a little bit...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bqODYVyOPIo/T ... a_wnsd.jpg
I'm totally nerdy like these cartoon characters =)

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Thank you CT. I will weather the wrath well. =)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote:
Trophy wrote: Now, there are two big differences between WEIT and pharyngula: one, Jerry actually frequently posts about science as well as often writing interesting and thought provoking stuff and two, the commenters at WEIT are often well-informed, smart, and most of the time with PhDs in a field relevant to the topic of the discussion where as most of the commenters at PZ's blog are worthless bums.
As someone who has a PhD I just want to point out that these two highlighted groups overlap.
I resemble that remark as well.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

welch wrote:

Throwing wrenches?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New Ophelia blog post including less than 25 words:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... s-privacy/

...so, how long before a commenter compares invasion of privacy (photos of medical records from a rooftop, as is alleged) with the 'cyberstalking' and 'stalking' Ophelia and company continue to speak about?

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

welch wrote:
karlaporter wrote:

3) That in being told to fuck off as a tradition, it means you're not even really told that as a specific individual, but you just happen to be new, so really, you're not special.

And is that traditional greeting in the FAQ's or somewhere the uninitiated could get a clue? If it is is I missed it and owe an apology for lacking grace. :snooty:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Pitchguest wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Surly Amy vs Angry Birds is a classic

There was definitely some cognitive dissonance. Seemingly you can DMCA someone for using a picture of you on the internet without your permission (even though it would fall squarely in the 'Fair Use' clause), however making and *selling* jewellery featuring characters and IP's of someone else's copyright is perfectly okay (and legal, apparently). Except, of course, for the part where she makes a profit off them. Frankly I'm surprised she has never been sued for it. Internet piracy be damned, what she did was honest to Gordon copyright infringement.
She'd be very unlikely to get sued - as far as I'm aware, companies usually issue cease & desist notices for this kind of small-time operation; ie, stop trading this item immediately, or we will sue. I reckon Amy's received at least one, considering the disappearance of the Pacman necklace from her etsy shop - bear in mind that she usually lists sold items on her shop.

Git

Post by Git »

Pitchguest wrote:
Git wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:For that reason, I don't trust anything that comes from Jihad-Watch, Islam-Watch, MEMRI, IDF, Press TV, etc, the obvious propaganda sites and networks, until I thoroughly check it myself first. Of course, that should be the proper reaction to anything in the media, but especially from places like that. Bob Pitt is no better than Robert Spencer in that regard.
Memri is very accurate though - their translations are by native Arab speakers, and the people who cast aspersions on them are generally non-Arab speakers with obvious agendas.

The bigger issue of course is why all these shills-for-Islam amongst the totalitarian left don't remember their history and what happened to the Tudeh party in Iran post-revolution.
Git, I worry about you. On several occasions, MEMRI has been criticised for their inaccurate--maybe even deliberately inaccurate--translations and mostly for the Mickey Mouse episode. Criticisms for this can be found here, here and here.

Not to mention that MEMRI (Middle East Media Research Institute) is founded by a former colonel in the Israeli military intelligence (a branch of the IDF) and another who's an Israeli-born American political scientist who wrote a report that focused on enforcing "Western values" and abandoning peace talks with the Palestinians. With this in consideration, it would be naive of me to presume they don't have an axe to grind or an agenda they wish to profess. Bear in mind, this criticism of MEMRI is not something that exists in a vaccuum; it's been around for quite some time, so therefore I'm surprised that you didn't know about it.
Oh I know about it, and its almost always axe-grinding - for example the Wikipedia entry you mention generally is of the "but they make **** look bad, therefore they're wrong". Even worse is what's known as the Livingstone Formulation (http://engageonline.wordpress.com/2010/ ... rmulation/) named after the former Mayor of London (and an utter shit up to his necks with the worst hate preachers, and with his own judeophobia) who claimed that MEMRI was inaccurate because "its an Israeli website" (wtf?).

And as for the Guardian's criticism of MEMRI, *LOL*:
http://cifwatch.com/2009/09/15/if-my-me ... s-me-well/

In any case, MEMRI do a really good service exposing what is really said in the Arabic-language (and Farsi-media) media. Consider the sheer amount of output that they do (the majority is actually of reformist and reasonable output), and then consider that only a very tiny amount of said output has even been criticised.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Gumby wrote: Oh, and welcome, Karla.
Thank you :clap:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch.

24 Followers (the same as it was 12 hours ago!!!)

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch. Charting the phenomenal popularity of Oolon's Block Bot so you don't have to!!!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

John Greg wrote:re. Not Being Offended

I thought the correct phrase, the one supposedly being analyzed here, was:
You do not have the right to not be offended.
Us pedants always get squelchy when phrases are analyzed using the wrong phrase.
A bit like Having your cake and eating it too. Well yeah. I'm not just going to look at it.

Which is actually Eating your cake and having it too.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

ATHEISMPLUS.
anagram
AUTISM HELPS (when derailing the argument of a neurotypical)

Git

Post by Git »

Welcome Karla.

Please tell us about your kittehs, if you have any. Or carrion-birds, which will please Sacha.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:Yeah meanwhile you haven't listened to the podcast so who's the cunt, cunt?
Because you know that contradicts my worldview, and thus you hope to tangle me into denial about my special and pwecious view of realty.

That is cuntish behaviour. And besides you are a cunt, your name spells cunt and you behave like a cunt.
Haha, just out of interest how often does the enemies list come up on AVFM and whats the usual response? Apart from anything else, do they even know how bad it makes them look?
I do not think there is too much objection to the list, and while it does come up now and then, to the best of my knowledge only one guy tried to formally debate Elan about it (technical default, did not respond within the time alloted for responses).

As for making AVfM look "bad" I do not see that on the radar at all. You have made it clear the connotations this has for you in the UK. Paul is American so he is completely "tone deaf", as I am to that sort of linkage. You can make the argument, it just fails to register.

I also seriously doubt, although time will tell that the MRA side has people like Meir Weinstein and Irv Rubin on board (not yet anyway).

If some nutjob actually takes it upon himself to beat the crap out of people, firebomb their mailbox, or send them pipe bombs like David Barbarash I expect it would happen to Paul Elam, not anyone on his list.

I personally have a considerable amount of ambivalence about the "register her" business however. While I do agree with many on the names currently on the list, some of them fall into the category of "why even bother?".

Unfortunately, we are apparently in a war with a set of unprincipled, immoral, vicious, and cowardly manipulators who will stop at nothing to achieve their aims, and which in the case of some individuals, apparently includes the extermination of 90% of males.

I am certain you will agree with me though, that just having the list itself, is problematic from quite a few perspectives including the slippery slope angle and the question of who decides what, not to mention becoming what you fight.

However, as far as I am concerned, this makes me no better that Twatson, Laden, and PeeZuss Christ and OB on this point.

Fortunately, I never claimed to be a saint, or indeed ever fooled myself about that. Just because I have not actually done anything, or intend to, does not automatically place me on a higher moral plane that those people. The desire is there, but fortunately, so is my self-restraint.

On the other hand, I firmly disagree with the jury nullification business that Elam advocates (if I understand him correctly). It is my conceit that despite the best efforts of the sexual grievance industry and people like Amanda "if a man is accused he is guilty" Marcott, that for the most part the jury will free the falsely accused (and I really hope this version of reality is true).

Our laws came about for principled and justifiable reasons. If the laws are being manipulated, we need to go after the actors doing so, not render the laws null and void (simplistic yes, add your own nuance as needed).
so the justification for the list is "Well they suck more"? Really?

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

karlaporter wrote:Hello everyone - After lurking for an undisclosed period of time I decided I ought to register. I'm not much of a banterer but who knows, I might fall in love with the place and make it a priority - we'll have to see about that. Thanks in advance to moderators and members for your hospitality. ~Karla

Welcome karla

welch

Post by welch »

karlaporter wrote:
welch wrote:

Throwing wrenches?
I liken it to running faster than a fish.

welch

Post by welch »

karlaporter wrote:
welch wrote:
karlaporter wrote:

And is that traditional greeting in the FAQ's or somewhere the uninitiated could get a clue? If it is is I missed it and owe an apology for lacking grace. :snooty:
LMAO...you'll do well here.

This place is a bucket of angry crabs as much as anything. Taking it seriously is never recommended :-P

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
karlaporter wrote:Hello everyone - After lurking for an undisclosed period of time I decided I ought to register. I'm not much of a banterer but who knows, I might fall in love with the place and make it a priority - we'll have to see about that. Thanks in advance to moderators and members for your hospitality. ~Karla
Karla! Nice to see you here :)
Nice to see you here too Renee! :dance:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

karlaporter wrote:
Maybe I was a weird child, but I always had the hots for Velma. Could have been the specs. :geek:

welch

Post by welch »

Hee...a coworker just challenged me to find a country song about blowjobs, because I was teasing her for thinking that country is somehow 'cleaner' than any other genre.

"Cum Stains on the PIllow", David Allan Coe.

She keeps thinking she'll win this sort of dare...

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
Maybe I was a weird child, but I always had the hots for Velma. Could have been the specs. :geek:
For me it was the tits. Velma had a RACK.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

CommanderTuvok wrote:The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch.

24 Followers (the same as it was 12 hours ago!!!)

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch. Charting the phenomenal popularity of Oolon's Block Bot so you don't have to!!!
Oh my, you mean 24 people who I never had interest in tweeting at or having any contact with have now made it impossible for me to do what I wasn't going to do anyways? I am so traumatized...

But the block bot does have a good use: those of us on this side of it can check the list and see who we should add to our Twitter feeds in case we missed people. :lol:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Corylus wrote:
I don't eat any meat so I don't have to worry and, at the present time, I am rather glad to be in this position. :shock:
And yet you have a kebab as an avatar.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Casual Nemesis wrote:

Welcome karla
Hi thanks! :mrgreen:

cunt

Post by cunt »

So, how much time did he give the guy to respond? Presumably the guy had some kind of opening argument. What was Elam's response? Did he even post one?
Don't give me that shit. If you don't think it is what I say it is you should be posting an argument to that rather than, "oh, well, merkins won't recognise it anyway". Americans/Canadians aren't stupid.
Right, so if he's a target of nutjob radical feminists that makes everything he does cool?
How likely do you really think it is that those people are going to achieve their aims. The extermination of 90% of males? I'd say... not fucking likely.
Why not just voice your concern to Elam and try to get that shit taken down? Or abandon the site. If you really don't want to be better than the FC(n), then fuck you too.
Irrelevant, and if I didn't know any better i'd swear you were attempting to throw me a red-herring.
Right, and in this case, laws are being manipulated? ... What?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

karlaporter wrote:
welch wrote:
karlaporter wrote:

You just need to go back and start reading at the beginning of the SlymePit and you'll be ok. Honest. SlymePit 101.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Ophelia Benson
anagram
A Noble Penis Ho

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Pitchguest wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
That's rather endearing :whistle:

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:Ophelia Benson
anagram
A Noble Penis Ho
I spit out some Arizona Iced Tea on that one..... It's not nice but the letters don't lie.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

When I was a kid, I used to think the reason why Shaggy was so skinny yet always so hungry was because he caught a tapeworm off Scooby.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

karlaporter wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
That's rather endearing :whistle:
Objectification!!111one

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

KiwiInOz wrote: You just need to go back and start reading at the beginning of the SlymePit and you'll be ok. Honest. SlymePit 101.
LOL I work :lol:

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Sometimes it's a pain to get caught up on a single day or two's worth of posting here.
"start reading at the beginning of the SlymePit and you'll be ok"?
LOL, no.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

justinvacula wrote:
Without glasses, from Halloween

http://i.imgur.com/Wf9KG.jpg
Oooooh... welcome, Karla!

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
For me it was the tits. Velma had a RACK.
I always used to wonder why Fred didn't just bend Daphne over the back of the nearest piece of furniture. And also why he always wore that fucking cravat.

Apples

Post by Apples »

karlaporter wrote:And is that traditional greeting in the FAQ's or somewhere the uninitiated could get a clue? If it is is I missed it and owe an apology for lacking grace. :snooty:
http://www.toonpool.com/user/589/files/ ... 742905.jpg

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

karlaporter wrote:
I must say I apologize - I didn't get the memo on the traditional greeting :? That being said, you have a weird name and you say bad things :D

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

welch wrote:so the justification for the list is "Well they suck more"? Really?
In one word. Yes.

I believe the official AVfM stance is to FTSU (Fuck Their Shit Up).

Mine however, suffers from ambivalence. While I do want to stick to some high minded principle, I also do want to FTSU.

However, I refuse to weasel out of this by claiming a higher ground. I already said that on this point I am no better than the FC(n).

Is that clear?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Seriously, don't apologise to me because I told you to go fuck yourself. It makes me feel weird. Welcome to the pit anyway.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:When I was a kid, I used to think the reason why Shaggy was so skinny yet always so hungry was because he caught a tapeworm off Scooby.
He was so out of his skull on drugs he used to forget to eat!
Yes, he would appear to spend the whole time guzzling giant sandwiches but that us clearly an artistic device meant to signify narcotic induced hallucinations. Remember, he also spent the whole time getting chased by 'ghosts' and speaking to a dog...who would talk back!
It's clearly just anti-drug propaganda disguised as a childrens cartoon!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Git wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Not to mention that MEMRI (Middle East Media Research Institute) is founded by a former colonel in the Israeli military intelligence (a branch of the IDF) and another who's an Israeli-born American political scientist who wrote a report that focused on enforcing "Western values" and abandoning peace talks with the Palestinians. With this in consideration, it would be naive of me to presume they don't have an axe to grind or an agenda they wish to profess. Bear in mind, this criticism of MEMRI is not something that exists in a vaccuum; it's been around for quite some time, so therefore I'm surprised that you didn't know about it.
Oh I know about it, and its almost always axe-grinding - for example the Wikipedia entry you mention generally is of the "but they make **** look bad, therefore they're wrong". Even worse is what's known as the Livingstone Formulation (http://engageonline.wordpress.com/2010/ ... rmulation/) named after the former Mayor of London (and an utter shit up to his necks with the worst hate preachers, and with his own judeophobia) who claimed that MEMRI was inaccurate because "its an Israeli website" (wtf?).

And as for the Guardian's criticism of MEMRI, *LOL*:
http://cifwatch.com/2009/09/15/if-my-me ... s-me-well/
Huh. Maybe I should just stop discussing Israel with you at all, Git. You tend to become aggressive and ... dim.

Just as an example, your attempt is to give credence to MEMRI's good reputation, but to discredit the criticism from the Guardian (and the other sources I cited) you give me CIF Watch? (A site that says on the front page, "Monitoring and combatting antisemitism, and the assault on Israel's legitimacy, at the Guardian and its blog." A clearly objective site on the matter.) Are you really that stupid? I don't trust MEMRI and I don't trust sites with an obvious slant. (By the way, I didn't realise that criticism for a more accurate translation somehow becomes antisemitism and "Judeophobia?" :naughty:
In any case, MEMRI do a really good service exposing what is really said in the Arabic-language (and Farsi-media) media. Consider the sheer amount of output that they do (the majority is actually of reformist and reasonable output), and then consider that only a very tiny amount of said output has even been criticised.
Yes, I'm sure they do. However, in the case of the Mickey Mouse episode and on several other occasions, it makes me doubt their sincerity - which is why when I see MEMRI on the bottom of the page, I tend to want a second opinion. Or a third opinion if need be, just to make sure. And if you consider that because "only a tiny amount has even been criticised" where one example of that "tiny amount" seemingly made it appear as though Palestinian children wanted to "annihilate all the Jews" that MEMRI is therefore trustworthy, then I have to ask how gullible you really are.

But I digress. If you want to discuss it further, I'm willing to do it here.