Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, a second comment I’ve made over on Zvan’s site – and still in moderation.
Steersman wrote: Giliell said (#19)
But, assuming this will get through here is part of the evidence again:
That’s evidence of the fact. It’s not evidence of the underlying reasons. Can you read? Do you have a basic verbal competency? Hell, I thought you even wrote books…
Yes, you’re quite right: that first reference (here) was evidence of the fact of a gender disparity in the number of men and women in prison, but not the reason. However, the third reference (here) – which you apparently didn’t bother reading, or maybe it required too much “thinky work” for you to handle – did actually provide some justification, some evidence, for the argument that genetics has some influence on that disparity.
Or do you want to claim that US Americans in general (regardless of their origin) and African Americans in specific are biologically prone to criminal behaviour than, say, Spaniards because they don’t lock up that many people? Because, duh, that’s a fact, too.
And those are apples and oranges – Americans versus Spaniards – that you’re comparing. The example I provided indicated that in 2009 there were 2,096,000 males in prison in the US, but only 201,000 females. Why the disparity? Is that “The Patriarchy” at work? Doing a piss-poor job of it if that is the case. Or maybe there are some genetic differences that might have a strong influence, although not the only one, on that state of affairs. Since you too apparently need spoon-feeding, here are some facts from that third reference (Pinker) that strongly suggest a genetic influence:
Variation in the level of testosterone among different men, and in the same man in different seasons or at different times of day, correlates with libido, self-confidence, and the drive for dominance.44 Violent criminals have higher levels than nonviolent criminals; trial lawyers have higher levels than those who push paper. …. And one's psychological state can affect testosterone levels as well as the other way around. But there is a causal relation, albeit a complicated one. When women preparing for a sex-change operation are given androgens, they improve on tests of mental rotation and get worse on tests of verbal fluency. The journalist Andrew Sullivan, whose medical condition had lowered his testosterone levels, describes the effects of injecting it: "The rush of a T shot is not unlike the rush of going on a first date or speaking before an audience. I feel braced. After one injection, I almost got in a public brawl for the first time in my life.
Considering that Greg Laden argued that “men are testosterone damaged women”, I would have thought that you and Stephanie – among many others – might have been more receptive to the argument that genetics – on which levels of testosterone are highly dependent – is a strong determinant in problematic social behaviours of one sort or another.
That’s called sarcasm. It was a stab at people who constantly claim that feminists “just hate men” when I’d think that somebody who goes around telling that “criminal behaviour is more of a guy thing is biological” has a far worse concept of men than any feminist ever came up with.
You should realize that sarcasm and humour doesn’t translate all that well in a printed environment, that it requires some context – preferably smilies. But that “far worse concept” just causes me to shake my head: that I concede that there are probably more men than women who can’t keep their anger in check, along with other antisocial behaviours, probably because of strong genetic influences – “it’s more of a guy thing” – means that I think all men are like that? And who is it again that is supposed to be guilty of stereotyping, of sexist attitudes? You really do seem to have a serious problem with recognizing differences across the spectrum of male and female behaviours: saying “criminal behaviour, it’s more of a guy thing” is hardly saying that all guys are criminals, only that there are more guys than gals who qualify as such, regardless of the reasons for that state of affairs. Do take a close look at that reference from Pinker for a more rational way of looking at those differences.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Everyone's off trying the detachable penises.

[snicker]brilliant picture[/snack]

Funniest thing I'm likely to see today. :clap:

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Trophy wrote:So yeah, the mighty critics of EP: Spare us your criticism of the shitty part of EP (like "why men like blonds"). We have heard it a million times and we agree with you. But do you have anything to say about the parts that are supposed to be good? Thank you.
Most 'critics' of EP are interested in neither facts nor truth.
Their sole raison d'être is to score cheap political points by which to entrench both their fact-free dogma, buttress their positions of petty power, and impress their clueless sheeple in order to scramble to the top of the crab pile.

Is anyone spotting a pattern here?

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Jack: the thing is, until this shitfest started, I had only witnessed this kind of attitude in 20-something college students who just discovered politics and social studies. never expected to see it in adults.

It's a bit flabbergasting, but nothing to be worked on about.
You are lucky, I've witnessed it white upper-middle class lecturers, union officials with their delicious sinecures, the national health service especially social and psychiatric services (which also have a fair number of fundamentalist christians) and of course the News Media. I could give ludicrous examples where such feminist groups have insinuated themselves into other groups, made it about them, maligned and defamed those who were in charge of those groups and eventually created little clique of feminists who end up angry that no-one wants to listen to them.

It seems that in the last 40 years we have went from "I am woman hear me roar!" to "I am woman shut up and listen intently and agree with my trivial whining." Girls are being shot in the head for going to school, are being publicly whipped for talking to the wrong boy. Now I've heard the argument that "we can challenge both"

But they don't, do they?

Where are all the feminist groups from the West volunteering to help the U.S. and their allies in Pakistan and Afghanistan... oh wait that's right, they're cultural relativists, it's alright that the Taliban rape and murder women, it's not alright to for the evil Imperialist military industrial complex to stop that, especially when there is some female CEO strugglinf to get membership to a exclusive Golf Club, there is the real struggle.

I am all for womens rights as human rights, I care not one Iota if some overpaid typists complaining about men's privilege from their ivory tower whining about homeless men oppressing them.

I was also wondering. If they are correct, in so far as they are trying to dismantle their imagined patriarchy, could such a cultural shift from fatherhood being important to irrelevant help explain the "bro" (brother) culture they also revile. One thing I have learned in my years is that many young men who have absent fathers do tend to cluster with other young males, in fact gang culture depends a great deal on young men seeking male role models in a subculture where fathers are increasingly absent. Could this and the MGTOW lot be considered a consequence of feminism?

Michael K Gray

First World Problems?

Post by Michael K Gray »

How dare McCreight, Christina, Watson, Myers, et alia, drivel on at length about their incredibly trivial problems when shit like this is happening to female humans?
Sorcery burnings: PNG police save two women from being torched to death
Papua New Guinea police have rescued two women accused of sorcery who were about to be set alight, a report said Wednesday, days after a young mother accused of witchcraft was burned alive by a mob.
Sorcery cases have been a priority for authorities after the horrific case of a 20-year-old woman who last week was stripped naked, doused with petrol and set alight before a crowd, Highlands divisional police commander Teddy Tei told The National newspaper.

The woman, who was accused of causing the death of a six-year-old boy using sorcery, died after being tortured with a branding iron, tied up and set alight on a pile of rubbish in Mount Hagen in the Western Highlands.

The National said in the latest incident on Monday, also in Mount Hagen, two elderly women were tied to poles and people were preparing to set them alight over the death of an eight-year-old girl.

The girl’s relatives believed the women caused the death of the child using sorcery but Tei said she had been “gang-raped and killed by two known suspects” and these suspects were part of the mob attacking the older women.

With them was a “glassman” – a man who claimed to have supernatural powers and who had identified the luckless women as sorcerers and claimed they were responsible for the child’s death.

Tei said police, who were tipped off by a witness to the incident near Kagamuga Airport, rescued the women and arrested 20 suspects.

He appealed to the public not to take the law into their own hands in the Pacific nation where there is a widespread belief in sorcery and where many people do not accept natural causes as an explanation for misfortune and death.

“What evidence do they have to produce to court for sorcery-related killing and torturing?” Tei said.

“It’s just a belief.” Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has described as “barbaric” killings associated with sorcery and has instructed police to bring culprits to justice.

“Barbaric killings connected with alleged sorcery; violence against women because of this belief that sorcery kills – these are becoming all too common in certain parts of the country,” he said last week.

The government is encouraging families who are unsure about the cause of a loved one’s death to take the body to a doctor to carry out a post-mortem.
This is some REAL misogyny, ladies.
Not your phoney non-existent, made-up, fraudulent, bullshit, fabricated evidence-free atheist conference lies.
Whatdya reckon, Jen? Ask your happy army if they think that this is a priority.
Greta may supply the victims with Shoes, I expect?
I wonder if these witches have donate buttons on their headstones, over which to get all prissy?

Fuck you, you fucking privileged cunts. The lot of you.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Mykeru wrote:
Glocks: Total pansy-assed gun. Speaking of girl guns.

Just bid and won some tacky grips for my 1911A1

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1911-Colt-45-Gir ... QM6ZRE2Cm/$(KGrHqF,!isFEP5vrSQFBRE2ClUpEw~~60_12.JPG

Some day I will find some bone grips with Bettie Page Betty White on them and I will be a happy camper. And no, don't post a picture of those cheap-assed translucent acrylic jobs.
FIXED.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:So basically you get out of the fact that evidence doesn't support your model of humanity by categorising any behavior that does not fit that model as extrinsic? Do you even have any evidence suggesting that the output of our brains can be divided such?
Mmm... interesting question. Lemme research it please. I do not have "hard" evidence for my proposition, but evidence which is as solid as that for your irrelevant extrinsic data.
I do not accept that studies of human behavior are irrelevant to the understanding of human behavior. We may have to agree to differ.

[/quote]I cannot remember the references off-hand, but will 'get back to you' when I stumble across it.
I am packing my books, and have packed most of my reference library into storage at the moment, in preparation for a mitral heart-valve replacement in the near(?) future.
Nah, fuck it. In the scheme of things at the moment, it is not worth the effort.[/quote]

Thats fair enough. Hope the operation goes well.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

And, rounding out the evening and also FWIW, a third comment I’ve made over on Zvan’s site – and still in moderation.
Steersman wrote: Klango said (#11):
That there are 4 times as many women as men who are diagnosed with histrionic personality disorder is entirely due to “The Patriarchy”?

So it’s either entirely down to patriarchy, or entirely down to genetic differences? How nuanced.

I guess then that you didn’t notice the question at the end of my statement? I am not arguing that it is only genetic differences – as I’ve stated several times and in several different ways. All I’m doing is pointing to many different cases where there are significant variations in behaviour in various sub-populations of men and women and pointing to plausible genetic causes for them which make it rather a stretch to argue that all those variations are due to causes other than genetic.
Given that we know that patriarchal culture tells men to be strong and not to seek help, I think we can be confident in saying it plays at least some part in this stat (if accurate).
Sure – that “strong and not seek help” is probably a factor in some cases. But all of them? Relative to which you might want to chew on this from the Pinker reference:
Girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia overproduce androstenedione, the androgen hormone made famous by the baseball slugger Mark McGwire. Though their hormone levels are brought to normal soon after birth, the girls grow into tomboys, with more rough-and-tumble play, a greater interest in trucks than dolls, better spatial abilities, and, when they get older, more sexual fantasies and attractions involving other girls.
If tomboyism – which seems to affect only girls – has some roots in genetic structures that vary by sex then why shouldn’t “histrionic personality disorder” affect more gals than guys because of genetics? Particularly since, as Pinker also notes, autism – a genetic disorder – affects more guys that gals: “[autism], it’s more of a guy thing.”

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Oh, that was a stupid thing I did with the quotes. Curse the lack of an edit button!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

EdgePenguin wrote:I do not accept that studies of human behavior are irrelevant to the understanding of human behavior. We may have to agree to differ.
It may be that we differ in that I am most definitely NOT talking about behaviour!
No. No way, José!
That is absolutely vital to my original contention.
I am referring to reflexive unmoderated internal animal desire, or urges, not "acting out" those base urges.
I still stick to my original proposition.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my phraseology? If so, I apologise.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:I do not accept that studies of human behavior are irrelevant to the understanding of human behavior. We may have to agree to differ.
It may be that we differ in that I am most definitely NOT talking about behaviour!
No. No way, José!
That is absolutely vital to my original contention.
I am referring to reflexive unmoderated internal animal desire, or urges, not "acting out" those base urges.
I still stick to my original proposition.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my phraseology? If so, I apologise.
Is selfish really a low level urge rather than a complex behavior? If you want to strip away higher functions until you find what you want to see, I could by the same process argue that, once you get passed all the 'extrinsic' stuff, human beings are fundamentally all about 'Looking At Moving Stuff' - which is certainly a lower level function than selfishness.

Selfishness requires an expression of desires, which to me sounds pretty complicated in the great scheme of things. Its not enough to look at animals fighting for, say, food - because that is hunger rather than selfishness. I doubt even the most ardent Ayn Rand fan goes around just ripping food out of the hands of other human beings.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Ichthyic whines about getting banned from Coyne’s place (Why Evolution Is True):

http://i.imgur.com/NSVVotE.jpg

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-560765

However, there is no need to whine about getting banned if you haven’t been banned in the first place. Because lying scumbag Ichthyic wasn’t banned, he flounced:

http://i.imgur.com/RJCw9mf.jpg

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... ics-begin/

It looks as if being a boldfaced liar is not a disadvantage if you want to become a regular at Pharyngula. Honest people don’t last long over there.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

EdgePenguin wrote:Selfishness requires an expression of desires...
This is exactly where we differ.
You only have to ask a child the difference between feeling selfish internally, and expressing it externally.
Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse?
It certainly seems that way.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jan Steen wrote:Ichthyic whines about getting banned from Coyne’s place (Why Evolution Is True):

However, there is no need to whine about getting banned if you haven’t been banned in the first place. Because lying scumbag Ichthyic wasn’t banned, he flounced:

It looks as if being a boldfaced liar is not a disadvantage if you want to become a regular at Pharyngula. Honest people don’t last long over there.
I have found Coyne to be entirely prissy and randomly capricious when it comes to policing tone.
It is precisely the reason why I abandoned commenting there after many years.
Don't hold up Coyne as the "anti-Myers", because he is but a milder version of the intolerant and wildly unpredictable and irascible changes of moods for which his critics are rightly famous.
Coyne ain't no saint.
No, siree.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Josh, Official SpokesGay
12 February 2013 at 6:57 pm (UTC -6)
Totally with you on Ben G*ren. Overall Coyne is remarkably ill-tempered at being corrected on anything.
Hah!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Dick Strawkins wrote:From Skepsheik
http://i.imgur.com/4UAMfnh.jpg
PZ is gauging the tentacles for the correct size of Fluevogons, in a narrow fitting.
Just click on the "Spongebob's Appeal" icon.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
LMU wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Fuckin hell - another one! I'm actually gonna have to stop now, because fuckin Spokesgay - for all his admonitions of those he considers less decent than himself - is a fucking, fucking nasty turd, and he's actually winding me up.
When I get like that I stop reading for a bit, have a break for a day or two to recharge my lulz batteries and realise it's all a big laugh with the baboons the butt of the joke.
Yeah don't wear yourself out. I might take a look through the old Elevatorgate threads once SN has them up. Exactly how many porcupines we objectified over the course of Elevatorgate? Inquiring minds want to know!
Doh!!! I forgot. I'll get them up by tomorrow. :)

Obensonvirus, I've caught it. Senility is the first and maybe only symptom. :shifty:
Oh! No worries! I was actually concerned that I was being too demanding of you :oops:
No problem there. I had said I would do it last week, I think. I needed the reminder. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

free thoughtpolice wrote:An iirc moment that might interest Scented Nectar and Tigsy with a possible application to the Baboon threat display thread:
In the time period of a few weeks after the Watson elevator incident if I remember correctly Ben Svan made a post that inferred that his wife may be packing heat and the coffee guy might be careful about hitting on her.
I would think it was on either Almost Diamonds or Pharyngula.
I don't think I read that one. I'm keeping the archive just for the 3 original ElevatorGate threads, and all the SlimePit threads up until our move here. It would be a daunting task to try and round up links to, and/or archive copies of, all the other EG related articles, especially now that in July, it'll be 2 years since it all started.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Ichthyic whines about getting banned from Coyne’s place (Why Evolution Is True):

I have found Coyne to be entirely prissy and randomly capricious when it comes to policing tone.
It is precisely the reason why I abandoned commenting there after many years.
Don't hold up Coyne as the "anti-Myers", because he is but a milder version of the intolerant and wildly unpredictable and irascible changes of moods for which his critics are rightly famous.
Coyne ain't no saint.
No, siree.
Way to miss my point, Michael.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Richard Dworkins wrote:Also, if they hate stereotyping so much, why does each of them aspire to the one depicted on these pages (and of course Viz Magazine) in the form of Millie Tant.

To be fair to them though, it does seem that in the slymepit many aspire to another stereotype. The fancy hat wearing racist and we even have one fellow Justin Vacula sporting a Sid the Sexist moustache.

(I'm only joking Justin.) :small yellow circle with smiling face:
There is an entire fashion trend just for sex criminals alone, including a public masturbator trench coat that Jen might want to buy for someone as a gift. I'll just put these rape jokes fashion guides here:

[youtube]EVcyNANK5cY[/youtube]

[youtube]15S0g8pG6HU[/youtube]

(hey, feminist lurkers, admit it, you laughed a bit)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Have you heard me whining about getting banned from Coynes blog? I mean, apart from the entire preceding paragraph.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:So basically you get out of the fact that evidence doesn't support your model of humanity by categorising any behavior that does not fit that model as extrinsic? Do you even have any evidence suggesting that the output of our brains can be divided such?
Mmm... interesting question. Lemme research it please. I do not have "hard" evidence for my proposition, but evidence which is as solid as that for your irrelevant extrinsic data. I cannot remember the references off-hand, but will 'get back to you' when I stumble across it.
I am packing my books, and have packed most of my reference library into storage at the moment, in preparation for a mitral heart-valve replacement in the near(?) future.
Nah, fuck it. In the scheme of things at the moment, it is not worth the effort.
Not worth the effort to pack up everything or the operation? If it's the operation, it IS worth the effort. That will give you many more years than otherwise.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Steersman wrote:FWIW, another comment I’ve made over on Zvan’s site – and still in moderation. Maybe she doesn’t trust me for some reason. Anyway:
If you're not actually banned, then it could be the 2 or more links thing. As spam prevention, it automatically puts comments with 2 or whatever set number of links, into moderation.

One way you might get around it is to make it so that the links are not clickable (surround the urls with touching brackets and leave out the "http://www." part), so that it will have to be copied and pasted, but at least this sort of link might get around the spam settings.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Michael K Gray wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:Selfishness requires an expression of desires...
This is exactly where we differ.
You only have to ask a child the difference between feeling selfish internally, and expressing it externally.
Are you deliberately trying to be obtuse?
It certainly seems that way.
I am not being obtuse. A person is not separable from their behavior. We are sets of behaviors.

By the way, the ultimatum game has been conducted whilst examining people's brains:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/300/5626/1755.short

...so in any case, the response is not just a socially conditioned one. It is occurring in what I think you mean by 'intrinsically'

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jan Steen wrote:Way to miss my point, Michael.
Has my sarcasm-impairment bitten me on the arse again?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

This seems interesting: The Two Western Cultures of Privacy: Dignity versus Liberty. I have not read the paper myself (I could make the time, as I don't have a lot of banking to do, but I'm not interested enough to read 96 pages about it) but it deals with the impulse to involve the law when one is insulted (or more broadly has one's privacy breached). According to the article which linked to it the author contends that this is a European tradition which has its roots in noble privilige (hah, first time in ages I've used the word non-ironically) and sense of honour, where it was important for a nobleman to protect his good name.

That sounded awfully familiar somehow…

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Mmm... interesting question. Lemme research it please. I do not have "hard" evidence for my proposition, but evidence which is as solid as that for your irrelevant extrinsic data. I cannot remember the references off-hand, but will 'get back to you' when I stumble across it.
Nah, fuck it. In the scheme of things at the moment, it is not worth the effort.
Not worth the effort to pack up everything or the operation? If it's the operation, it IS worth the effort. That will give you many more years than otherwise.
Not worth arguing about trivia, such as behaviour versus feelings, is what I meant.
I really seem to be missing expressing vital lumps of my conversation, sorry one and all.
The operation is most definitely worth it!
I have too many people left to annoy the shit out of to "pop me clogs" just yet!
(And I still have your MAD DVD to complete & post!)

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

You're welcome ool0n.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =25#p69631

BTW, secular_steve escaped your block list after being listed five times.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

cunt wrote:Have you heard me whining about getting banned from Coynes blog? I mean, apart from the entire preceding paragraph.
And Ichthyic wasn't even banned...

Imagine their reaction if they had actually been banned.

TFJ

Post by TFJ »

EdgePenguin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:I agree they aren't far left radicals in the usual sense (hence my aside about Marx). Any good Bolshie would eat them for breakfast. In theory you could have a non-authoritarian communist, but it never seems to last in the real world.
Any ideology that does not account the startlingly clear evolutionary fact that humans are intrinsically lazy, selfish and greedy will never ever succeed.
FACT.
Capitalism comes close, but is based on lunatic mathematically impossible premise that growth can proceed without limits, to infinity, irrespective of resources.
Bollocks they are. Studies of human behavior do not support misanthropic (unfalsifiable) view of humanity that you express here. The ultimatum game is a good example of this. People are complex and have deeper motivations than those expressed by the Homo Economicus model.
I said "intrinisically".
There are behaviour layers added over that which curb this innate tendency for the sake of reproduction, family, social cohesion etc.
Motivations are not 'intrinsic'.
I stand by what I said.
So basically you get out of the fact that evidence doesn't support your model of humanity by categorising any behavior that does not fit that model as extrinsic? Do you even have any evidence suggesting that the output of our brains can be divided such?
Seems pretty obvious. Altruistic acts are usually those which, on the surface, go against self-interest. We wouldn't really regard them as worthy of remark if they didn't go against our base urges, would we?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Richard Dworkins wrote:Also, if they hate stereotyping so much, why does each of them aspire to the one depicted on these pages (and of course Viz Magazine) in the form of Millie Tant.

To be fair to them though, it does seem that in the slymepit many aspire to another stereotype. The fancy hat wearing racist and we even have one fellow Justin Vacula sporting a Sid the Sexist moustache.

(I'm only joking Justin.) :small yellow circle with smiling face:
[youtube]Qrf-PRYPxr8[/youtube]

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

Jan Steen wrote:
cunt wrote:Have you heard me whining about getting banned from Coynes blog? I mean, apart from the entire preceding paragraph.
And Ichthyic wasn't even banned...

Imagine their reaction if they had actually been banned.
They'd be cheering Jerry on for his decisiveness and correct use of the ban-hammer - right?

Cos you can't have trolls on your blog calling people jerk and then disagreeing with the blog owner - that is Bad, so very Bad.

Jerry would have been right to do so and any complaints would be met with fierce opposition!

This would of course be in the same universe that Piers Morgan would be an acceptable person!

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I finally got listed on oolon's block bot! I was feeling so left out before, now it feels like my ridicule of A+ has finally been rewarded!

I would steal some hugs to celebrate, but in case any of the A+ people are reading this I'll relegate that to the secret forum, so as not to trigger anyone.

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

16bitheretic wrote:I finally got listed on oolon's block bot! I was feeling so left out before, now it feels like my ridicule of A+ has finally been rewarded!

I would steal some hugs to celebrate, but in case any of the A+ people are reading this I'll relegate that to the secret forum, so as not to trigger anyone.
I had a very lengthy chat with Oolon, basically showed him to be a lying bastard and I haven't made the list!

Must.Do.Better!

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Philip of Tealand wrote: I had a very lengthy chat with Oolon, basically showed him to be a lying bastard and I haven't made the list!

Must.Do.Better!
If A+ people are reading this, they probably noticed you referred to oolon as "him", which is a gendered pronoun, a horrible sin in SJW Handbook 101. Your failure to change that to "xim", "Zir", "Zie", Xhe", "XEZIRZHEXIT" will surely be a step in the right direction!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Paul Calf, radical feminist.

[youtube]tsZ10ydh59w[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Can someone explain to me how I just received a pizza delivery lifelet with the Halal logo and some offerings with ham and other pork products?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Not worth arguing about trivia, such as behaviour versus feelings, is what I meant.
I really seem to be missing expressing vital lumps of my conversation, sorry one and all.
The operation is most definitely worth it!
I have too many people left to annoy the shit out of to "pop me clogs" just yet!
(And I still have your MAD DVD to complete & post!)
Yes, and you are certainly not allowed to die before I get those (take your time).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

16bitheretic wrote:I finally got listed on oolon's block bot! I was feeling so left out before, now it feels like my ridicule of A+ has finally been rewarded!

I have three twitter accounts.
None of them are on the block list.
:shhh:

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Philip of Tealand wrote:

I had a very lengthy chat with Oolon, basically showed him to be a lying bastard and I haven't made the list!

Must.Do.Better!
It's no big deal really it's not. He left the door open so i escaped. (five times)
Oh shit hang on. My new ID is there. LOL. Dag nab it!

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

TFJ wrote:So basically you get out of the fact that evidence doesn't support your model of humanity by categorising any behavior that does not fit that model as extrinsic? Do you even have any evidence suggesting that the output of our brains can be divided such?
Seems pretty obvious. Altruistic acts are usually those which, on the surface, go against self-interest. We wouldn't really regard them as worthy of remark if they didn't go against our base urges, would we?[/quote]

"Obvious" isn't "evidence".

The idea that you can separate instinctive from learned behavior, amongst people you share a common environment with, is cognitively dangerous. You are asserting a vast generalization about human behavior, pretty much on grounds of "truthiness", despite the fact I have pointed out (and linked to peer reviewed literature describing) humans routinely behaving in a way that negates your generalization.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Can someone explain to me how I just received a pizza delivery lifelet with the Halal logo and some offerings with ham and other pork products?
Presumably they sell more than one type of pizza, so halal meat is ONE option - and non halal (pork etc) is another?

That is similar to the situation in supermarkets where they will have sections of kosher goods or halal goods, as well as selling other foods that do contain pork or shellfish.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Can someone explain to me how I just received a pizza delivery lifelet with the Halal logo and some offerings with ham and other pork products?
Presumably they sell more than one type of pizza, so halal meat is ONE option - and non halal (pork etc) is another?

That is similar to the situation in supermarkets where they will have sections of kosher goods or halal goods, as well as selling other foods that do contain pork or shellfish.
Can't sell "halal" food if it's been in contact with pork. Impossible for a small food joint to have two separate chains of preparation.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Can't sell "halal" food if it's been in contact with pork. Impossible for a small food joint to have two separate chains of preparation.
I think that is similar to the Kosher restrictions, where you need a separate kitchen for dairy and non dairy products.

It's my experience of that most muslims living in the west, even though they may stick to halal foods (no pork or alcohol), realize that it is difficult to get a complete separation in terms of preparation area. So they compromise and just go with the restaurants statement that the food contains no pork.

In other words, the 'halal' guarantee would probably not satisfy a strict religious muslim, but WOULD satisfy most other muslims who just want a cheap sans-pork pizza delivered to them.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Monkey-dog wins Westminster Best in Show:

Affenpinscher Banana Joe

Squeeeee! Looks like a Wookie! And it has a feminist-oppressing dog peen ....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

I think that is similar to the Kosher restrictions, where you need a separate kitchen for dairy and non dairy products.

It's my experience of that most muslims living in the west, even though they may stick to halal foods (no pork or alcohol), realize that it is difficult to get a complete separation in terms of preparation area. So they compromise and just go with the restaurants statement that the food contains no pork.

In other words, the 'halal' guarantee would probably not satisfy a strict religious muslim, but WOULD satisfy most other muslims who just want a cheap sans-pork pizza delivered to them.
Aaaannnd, that's bullshit! Religion is not a fucking buffet.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Maybe the "pork" comes from England?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

EdgePenguin wrote:... humans routinely behaving in a way...
There you go again, missing my entire thesis.
Sheesh!
How much more plain can I make it that it is NOT about sodding behaviour?

Apples

Post by Apples »

Justin Vacula wrote:Ophelia chimes in:
(post 944)

Heh - she says at the end

"How are people who are scattered all over the world supposed to 'get into a room?'" (skype, how da fuq does it work?)

Her petulant unwillingness to give a straight answer to good-faith questions is, as usual, spectacular.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Aaaannnd, that's bullshit! Religion is not a fucking buffet.
Oh yes it is ... just ask any Cafeteria Catholic.

Or any number of the fundy hypoChristians I have to deal with on a daily basis.

What would Jesus do?

Well, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have just run me off the road in a giant Lincoln Navigator, with a Jeebus fish and those stupid family stickers plastered on the rear window.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Aaaannnd, that's bullshit! Religion is not a fucking buffet.
I had a muslim friend a few years back, whose favorite food was pepperoni pizza.
He absolutely refused to accept that pepperoni contained pork (I know there are some types that are made of beef but the sort you get from pizza delivery places aren't exactly sourced at the finest suppliers - they are almost always cheap pork pepperoni sausage.)

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Scented Nectar wrote:Yes, and you are certainly not allowed to die before I get those (take your time).
I shall inform my cardiology specialist forthwith²! And I'm not kidding! (I think that he grew up reading MAD Magazines in addition to we.)
He'd have a chuckle or three, I expect.
Although he may insist that I make another facsimile for him, before he consents to slitting my gizzards in twain.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BarnOwl wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Aaaannnd, that's bullshit! Religion is not a fucking buffet.
Is it called "Cafeteria Catholic" in the US?

In Europe, it's usually termed, "a-la-carte Catholic"

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Apples wrote:
Justin Vacula wrote:Ophelia chimes in:
(post 944)

Heh - she says at the end

"How are people who are scattered all over the world supposed to 'get into a room?'" (skype, how da fuq does it work?)

Her petulant unwillingness to give a straight answer to good-faith questions is, as usual, spectacular.
CONVO! I hear she's available any time if there's a free airfare in it. Watson could jibber, then Benson could tut tut, then Surly could cry. Then they could invoke the harrassment policy and have everyone else thrown out - free bar!

Michael K Gray

Ding Dong! Delivery!

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Can't sell "halal" food if it's been in contact with pork. Impossible for a small food joint to have two separate chains of preparation.
It could be run by folks who have less interest in truth, and honesty in advertising, versus their own short-term personal gain, perhaps?

Sound familiar?
A familiar sized PZza sir?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Is it called "Cafeteria Catholic" in the US?

In Europe, it's usually termed, "a-la-carte Catholic"
Yep. Several Catholic friends here have referred to themselves as such.

Cognitive dissonance doesn't work for me ... I tell them that's one good reason I'm an atheist. :D

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Another free holiday for Peezus
DARWIN DAY BROWARD FEBRUARY 16, 2013
NORTH REGIONAL LIBRARY BROWARD COLLEGE NORTH CAMPUS
1:00 pm Introduction - Darwin and Evolution: From So Simple a Beginning, Alan Leipzig, Science Educator

2:00 pm There’s More to Evolution than Natural Selection, P.Z. Myers, Ph.D., University of Minnesota Morris, Associate Professor of Biology

3:15 pm BREAK and BIRTHDAY CAKE

3:30 pm Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, R.J. Dunlop Marine Conservation Program, University of Miami

4:30 pm SEMI-FINAL WORD

7:00 pm The Evolution of Creationism, P.Z. Myers, Ph.D.,
University of Minnesota Morris, Associate Professor of Biology
Is that near you, Welsh?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Aaaannnd, that's bullshit! Religion is not a fucking buffet.
When did that bonkers edict come into force?
After the Poop retired?
Of course it is a buffet.
There are twice as many sects of Christinsanity than there are adherents, depending on the phase of the moon, and pub opening hours.