Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by KiwiInOz »

Git wrote: As I'm not a US conservative, I'd probably quibble only slightly with your quibble to my quibble. What is totally spot on, and I agree with thoroughly is "if you go far enough to either end of the ideological spectrum, you'll meet yourself coming the other way". That is spot-on.
Important medical/anatomical question.

Can one have one's head so far up one's arse that one's face is showing?

Altair

Post by Altair »

Another blog writes criticism of Rebecca Watson's antics and PZ's only response is to call it "over the top"
pz.PNG
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
This is the link: http://www.msatheists.org/2013/02/i-usu ... ts-to.html
I have ignored this hoping it will go away, but it is clear to me that it is only getting worse and to maintain silence about it is no longer feasible, so here it is: I am horrified by the likes of non-academic feminists such as Rebecca Watson and her gang of bullies. What a self-absorbed person Watson must be to continue to pour poisonous bile into the well that all of us, as atheists, must share. I am horrified, truly horrified, by the damage she and her ilk are doing to atheism activism. I am ashamed of the unreflective ignorance that permeates nearly everything that comes out of their keyboards.
Despite the author's disclaimer at the beginning, I think it has fallen prey to the No True Scotsman when trying to maintain a separation between "Academic feminism" and Watson's "false feminism". Despite giving a very good list of issues men and boys face, he gives no information on how this "real feminism" helps or tries to fix these issues.

The rest of the article is good and it's good to see more people seeing what Rebecca and the FC(n) are doing, and voicing their criticism.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I'm going to start saying using the word "homophobic" is bad too. Oh, and "homo sapien".
A pedantic note from one of the resident homos.

The the two uses of "homo" in the quote have different roots. The Greek "the same" in the first case and the Latin "man" (i.e. human) for the latter.

Gore Vidal preferred the term "samesexual" to homosexual and wisely pointed out that the word "homosexual" describes human actions, not human beings.

When you think about it, "homophobic" is a misnomer given the Greek prefix.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rocko2466 wrote:THE POPE IS RESIGNING.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Which person speaks the word of God if there are two Popes (one former and one current) alive? What if they disagree?
The Godfather sorts it out.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:THE POPE IS RESIGNING.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Which person speaks the word of God if there are two Popes (one former and one current) alive? What if they disagree?
The Godfather sorts it out.
That or Thunderdome

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S3mG83Hq5aM/U ... ax_3-2.jpg

"Two popes enter, one pope leaves!"

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:I'm going to start saying using the word "homophobic" is bad too. Oh, and "homo sapien".

The the two uses of "homo" in the quote have different roots. The Greek "the same" in the first case and the Latin "man" (i.e. human) for the latter.

Gore Vidal preferred the term "samesexual" to homosexual and wisely pointed out that the word "homosexual" describes human actions, not human beings.

Thanks for the info.

The thing is, I'm more than a bit sick of having to watch nearly every word I say or type for fear that someone, somewhere might get offended.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Altair wrote:Another blog writes criticism of Rebecca Watson's antics and PZ's only response is to call it "over the top"
pz.PNG
This is the link: http://www.msatheists.org/2013/02/i-usu ... ts-to.html
I have ignored this hoping it will go away, but it is clear to me that it is only getting worse and to maintain silence about it is no longer feasible, so here it is: I am horrified by the likes of non-academic feminists such as Rebecca Watson and her gang of bullies. What a self-absorbed person Watson must be to continue to pour poisonous bile into the well that all of us, as atheists, must share. I am horrified, truly horrified, by the damage she and her ilk are doing to atheism activism. I am ashamed of the unreflective ignorance that permeates nearly everything that comes out of their keyboards.
Despite the author's disclaimer at the beginning, I think it has fallen prey to the No True Scotsman when trying to maintain a separation between "Academic feminism" and Watson's "false feminism". Despite giving a very good list of issues men and boys face, he gives no information on how this "real feminism" helps or tries to fix these issues.

The rest of the article is good and it's good to see more people seeing what Rebecca and the FC(n) are doing, and voicing their criticism.
I'm not sure feminism would be particularly good at dealing with men and boy issues, considering it is about women. I think one flaw that people like our favorite friends go to is dealing with feminism as if it is some way of life. Promoting women and women's values and a women's point of view is great, but need not necessarily come at the expense of men. One can be a feminist and a mens' rights activist (or whatever you want to call it). It isn't a zero sum game.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Thanks for the info.

The thing is, I'm more than a bit sick of having to watch nearly every word I say or type for fear that someone, somewhere might get offended.
"Homosexual" always sounded clinical to me. "Gay" is generally acceptable. You can, however, call me a fag as long as you buy me a drink first.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Thanks for the info.

"Homosexual" always sounded clinical to me. "Gay" is generally acceptable. You can, however, call me a fag as long as you buy me a drink first.
LOL you got it :D You know, it just occurred to me, I've never heard different terms for bisexuals (that would be me). Are there any? I'm sure there are, I've just not heard them for some reason.

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Apples wrote:Looks like the word "homosexual" is about to be banned at A+ for being "homophobic in all contexts."

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3932
It's a nice corner they've painted themselves into. Soon they will be communicating with facial expressions and smoke signals.
This is why I don't worry about A+ at all. Hurting atheism. Fuck, that lot couldn't order a pizza without a fully staffed trauma team present.

Altair

Post by Altair »

EdwardGemmer wrote:I'm not sure feminism would be particularly good at dealing with men and boy issues, considering it is about women. I think one flaw that people like our favorite friends go to is dealing with feminism as if it is some way of life. Promoting women and women's values and a women's point of view is great, but need not necessarily come at the expense of men. One can be a feminist and a mens' rights activist (or whatever you want to call it). It isn't a zero sum game.
I agree with that, but I know feminists who disagree (see quotes below). Also, if you are both a feminist and a MRA, you stop being any of them and become a humanist. Being a humanist is something some feminists don't think is enough.

Who are the biggest opposition to MRA's and men's rights groups? Feminists. When people tried to donate to help male rape victims in Africa, the organizations who fought that did it because they were afraid it would take away funds for women.
It's feminists who claim it's a zero sum game while at the same time trying to sell the idea that feminism fights for equality for everyone.

If they stopped selling that idea and stopped getting in the way of MRA groups, and stopped pushing ideas like rape culture and the man-oppresor/woman-victim DV models, I wouldn't have much to say about them.

http://www.femagination.com/93/feminism ... for-women/
“Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation and oppression.” So says the author bell hooks (Gloria Watkins) in her book Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics. And what is sexism? It is 1) Prejudice or discrimination based on gender, 2) Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender. (See Answers.com for more definitions.) What most people don’t realize is that sexism cuts both ways: men can be victims of sexism, too, and feminism seeks to prevent either sex from suffering the discrimination and stereotyping that is associated with sexism. In other words, feminism is not just for women.
http://releasethefeministkraken.wordpre ... st-kraken/
This is not me saying that these aren’t men’s issues; they are, and the party that is being hugely, grossly affected negatively here is the men. It’s a horrifying injustice, and it comes from an overarching gender inequality that affects EVERYONE. This is why the patriarchal belief of a superior gendered behavior (masculine > feminine) needs to be stopped, for everyone’s sake. This is why feminism and women’s rights are everyone’s fight.

acathode

Post by acathode »

EdwardGemmer wrote:As far as governing politics, then I agree, the ideas they promote can be super leftist at times. However, taking politics out of it, and instead looking at how they would govern the atheist community, it isn't about equality at all. It's about creating a new hierarchy where they get to call the shots. It's about creating insiders and outsiders and finding enemies everywhere. I'm a liberal so my portrait of the right wing probably isn't charitable, but I don't mean it to be an insult. I would consider values of your family and community to be right wing values. Who values their community and keeps more people out of it than the A+ people? No wonder they seem to be dying off - they don't let anyone new in.
If you take away their politics... and then try to place them on a political scale... you're not going to get anything remotely useful.

Frankly, what you seem to be talking about is the power-hungriness, tribalism, and their totalitarian tendencies. Those are not even remotely exclusive to the right wing, but sadly something you find in all political extremists, no matter if you left, right, up or down. IMO, it's a just nasty part of our human nature, something that have very little to do with left/right politics.

Looking historically, the left is certainly no stranger to tribalism and totalitarianism, but neither are they strangers to valuing your family and community either.

(ps. and no, I'm not even remotely right-wing. I live in Sweden and have traditionally voted left/green. Converted to US politics that makes me a sodding communist or something I suppose?)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Take the hashatags out of what the Oaf tweeted, and read the whole tweet again.

" stupidbitch nowondersheisonavfm"

Read that however you choose, it's a fairly seethrough stunt, which i'm sure the Oaf thought was bery clever of her in affording a measure of deniablity.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Thanks for the info.

LOL you got it :D You know, it just occurred to me, I've never heard different terms for bisexuals (that would be me). Are there any? I'm sure there are, I've just not heard them for some reason.
What about the correct term for my people? The lesbians trapped in men's bodies.

A radio talk show host back in the 90's (a lady) used to call lesbians: Vagitarians

:rimshot:

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:Exi5stentialist just created some fireworks in another thread, objecting to Sun Countess's facile characterization of Ratzinger as a Nazi/Nazi-sympathizer:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3933
The best part: Sybil, in her attempt to prove him wrong, shows his points to be correct with regard to their bullshit accusations about him being a Nazi/Nazi Sympathizer.

A+'s new motto: "A+: Where being a heat-addled nit-wit means you're in charge!"

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Switch-hitter and AC/DC are the only two that come to mind without resorting to der Google.

welch

Post by welch »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Apples wrote:Looks like the word "homosexual" is about to be banned at A+ for being "homophobic in all contexts."

It's a nice corner they've painted themselves into. Soon they will be communicating with facial expressions and smoke signals.
Smoke signals are a racist stereotype againt Native Americans.
And smoke is HURTFUL TO ASTHMATICS! CHECK YOUR FUCKING PRIVILEGE, YOU EASY-BREATHING ABLEIST!!!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: LOL you got it :D You know, it just occurred to me, I've never heard different terms for bisexuals (that would be me). Are there any? I'm sure there are, I've just not heard them for some reason.
Switch-hitter and AC/DC are the only two that come to mind without resorting to der Google.
Ok, I have heard those - usually geared toward bisexual men, however. I do recall being called "confused" once or twice LOL

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]fMvI4h1BDCo[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Apples wrote:.... and then says she was referring to herself as a stupid bitch for not knowing that it was there? Or something.

9:05a: "Oh ffs - you misread. I meant *I* was the stupidbitch. for not knowing, no wonder *I* was on AVFM."
No fucking way that tweet was meant to be interpreted as Ophie calling herself a bitch. Please.
Ophie: Did which? (And I don't know who GWW is! #stupidbitch #nowondersheisonAVFM)
I don't think it matters. She is, at best, perpetuating the use of this disgusting, dehumanizing word, and should be thoroughly scorned and mocked for that.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jesus...been looking around FTB for more stuff to put in the museum of nasty baboon shite - and the amount of times Spokesgay Slocum wishes someone would die is quite something. Astonishes me that he's in the job he's in - still, I guess the more people die, the more job security he gets, so...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO!!!!!! Ok, it seems Ophie got caught in a lie regarding the use of the word "bitch" on Twitter.
@OpheliaBenson
@aratina Did which? (And I don't know who GWW is! #stupidbitch #nowondersheisonAVFM)
I have tears in my eyes from the laughter :D
She's not managing to shake off my impression that she is in the initial stages of dementia very successfully.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO!!!!!! Ok, it seems Ophie got caught in a lie regarding the use of the word "bitch" on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AmbrosiaX/status/300827616078868481
@AmbrosiaX
Maybe I did misinterpret what @opheliabenson meant when she wrote "stupidbitch." Should I admit that or stand my ground because of my ego?
@OpheliaBenson
@benfromcanada @AmbrosiaX wtf? I didn't write that. I don't use that word. There are at least 2 fake Twitter accts that use my real name.
@Trinoc_
@OpheliaBenson @benfromcanada @AmbrosiaX Sorry, Ophelia, but you did: …
(status from above):
@OpheliaBenson
@aratina Did which? (And I don't know who GWW is! #stupidbitch #nowondersheisonAVFM)
I have tears in my eyes from the laughter :D
So wait, we're supposed to divine that Ophelia referring to GWW is calling *herself* a "stupid bitch" and that was she was on AVfM for ... wait, what?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Mykeru wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I think I found it.

http://i.imgur.com/ZdXCEpB.jpg

Interestingly, it is dated from the 7th Feb, and she appears to be calling a gender traitor woman a "stupidbitch" for writing for AVFM. Gee, they really get their knickers undergarments in a twist over AVFM, don't they!
Actually, what we have seen is they reserve their extra-special mean girl wrath for women who don't join their clique.
She lied today and said that she was referring to herself. She clearly wasn't - the use of the she in the next hashtag suggests both hashtags are (indeed, the whole tweet is) about one person.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

This is why I don't worry about A+ at all. Hurting atheism. Fuck, that lot couldn't order a pizza without a fully staffed trauma team present.
Haha! Classic welch. I'm building the script in my mind, it's hilarious.

A: "Can we get a pepperoni one?"
B: "Girl please, patriarchy much?"
A: "Girl? Girl? I am a quad-gendered triple spirit. Preferred pronouns are xie, xa, xing and xong."
B: "Your projections are triggering for folks here of fluidic pansexuality. Here, take a week's vacation from talking and think about the harm you have, or may, but didn't, but could have, caused."

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Altair wrote: I agree with that, but I know feminists who disagree (see quotes below). Also, if you are both a feminist and a MRA, you stop being any of them and become a humanist. Being a humanist is something some feminists don't think is enough.

Who are the biggest opposition to MRA's and men's rights groups? Feminists. When people tried to donate to help male rape victims in Africa, the organizations who fought that did it because they were afraid it would take away funds for women.
It's feminists who claim it's a zero sum game while at the same time trying to sell the idea that feminism fights for equality for everyone.

If they stopped selling that idea and stopped getting in the way of MRA groups, and stopped pushing ideas like rape culture and the man-oppresor/woman-victim DV models, I wouldn't have much to say about them.

http://www.femagination.com/93/feminism ... for-women/
“Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation and oppression.” So says the author bell hooks (Gloria Watkins) in her book Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics. And what is sexism? It is 1) Prejudice or discrimination based on gender, 2) Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender. (See Answers.com for more definitions.) What most people don’t realize is that sexism cuts both ways: men can be victims of sexism, too, and feminism seeks to prevent either sex from suffering the discrimination and stereotyping that is associated with sexism. In other words, feminism is not just for women.
http://releasethefeministkraken.wordpre ... st-kraken/
This is not me saying that these aren’t men’s issues; they are, and the party that is being hugely, grossly affected negatively here is the men. It’s a horrifying injustice, and it comes from an overarching gender inequality that affects EVERYONE. This is why the patriarchal belief of a superior gendered behavior (masculine > feminine) needs to be stopped, for everyone’s sake. This is why feminism and women’s rights are everyone’s fight.
Part of my rules of life are that (1) Everyone is trying to sell something and (2) Don't let someone else define what you are.

This idea that feminism is some sort of all encompassing view on life is probably a byproduct of the need to have everything be a all encompassing view on life. Someone is feminist, and instead of understanding the limits of feminism, instead tries to claim that it's really about ending sexism for all people. Ending sexism seems like a weird goal to me, given that sexism is a driving force behind the propagation of life, but in any event I understand the goal of ensuring that people are mistreated or limited because of their gender. Feminism is exactly what it sounds like, a goal to promote women. All this other stuff is just byproducts - the patriarchy, rape culture, blah, blah, blah. They are good to think about, but there is no reason to treat them like the Holy Trinity. I am interested in rape culture - I think there is a lot of validity to it. For one, it does seem many people view incapacitated women as sexual targets, and many images in the media perpetuate this. Two, there really isn't much guidance about sex for young people, which I thin leads them to succumb to societal pressures and their own impulses. For guys, this can mean have a lot of sex, and the methods are less important than the production.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Fuckin hell - another one! I'm actually gonna have to stop now, because fuckin Spokesgay - for all his admonitions of those he considers less decent than himself - is a fucking, fucking nasty turd, and he's actually winding me up.

Unlike the fat little wanker himself, however, I do not wish that he would die. In fact, I'd prefer it if he had to live with himself forever.

And this is who Benson has cordial lunches with. I hope she looks at that thread one day, cos there's a lot more to go there from her pal Slocum, that's for sure.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

C0nc0rdance weighs in on his discussion with PZ:

[youtube]HwK84v1KmRM[/youtube]

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Walter Ego wrote:

hahahaha That's so right.

Also, why is "homosexual" bad? I guess it's because they also don't like "female" or "male" because it suggests a technical description of the subject. "I'm more than just words, pal!"

incognito

Post by incognito »

All I have to say is, you people have no appreciation for David Allen Coe.
:snooty:
Or Anal Cunt.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Apples wrote:.... and then says she was referring to herself as a stupid bitch for not knowing that it was there? Or something.

9:05a: "Oh ffs - you misread. I meant *I* was the stupidbitch. for not knowing, no wonder *I* was on AVFM."
No fucking way that tweet was meant to be interpreted as Ophie calling herself a bitch. Please.
Ophie: Did which? (And I don't know who GWW is! #stupidbitch #nowondersheisonAVFM)
I don't think it matters. She is, at best, perpetuating the use of this disgusting, dehumanizing word, and should be thoroughly scorned and mocked for that.
True. For do we not get told that our intent matters not, but it is the history of our sins that controls the word?

Preach it!

Altair

Post by Altair »

incognito wrote:All I have to say is, you people have no appreciation for David Allen Coe.
Or Anal Cunt.
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8201 ... 633786.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

incognito wrote:All I have to say is, you people have no appreciation for David Allen Coe.
Or Anal Cunt.
franc swings that way (musically, I mean).

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

acathode wrote:If you take away their politics... and then try to place them on a political scale... you're not going to get anything remotely useful.

Frankly, what you seem to be talking about is the power-hungriness, tribalism, and their totalitarian tendencies. Those are not even remotely exclusive to the right wing, but sadly something you find in all political extremists, no matter if you left, right, up or down. IMO, it's a just nasty part of our human nature, something that have very little to do with left/right politics.

Looking historically, the left is certainly no stranger to tribalism and totalitarianism, but neither are they strangers to valuing your family and community either.

(ps. and no, I'm not even remotely right-wing. I live in Sweden and have traditionally voted left/green. Converted to US politics that makes me a sodding communist or something I suppose?)
I don't think so - in fact, I think thinking of it politically just leads you in weird directions. I don't know why say, abortion, is particularly right wing and environmentalism is left wing. There are probably many good historical reasons but it is tough for me to justify them with a right wing v. left wing ideal. When I think of left wing, it is an ideal of equality v. a comfort with inequality on the right wing. There isn't any right answer to this - obviously making things fair and equal is something many people like, and obviously things are never going to be %100 fair and equal, nor is that an outcome many people would want.

That's why I think of things like tribalism as a right wing value. Valuing your family is a byproduct of evolution and also a right-wing value. To you, your family is more important than a random person on the street. Extending this, your community is more important than some other community. Your country is more important than other country. Etc., etc. To which the leftist might say, you aren't more important than any other person, you're family isn't more important than any other family, and your community is no more important than any other.

Compare this forum, where anyone can come and post and agree and disagree and is more or less on equal footing, to Pharyngula, where you aren't allowed to offend the boss, the regular commenters, or say anything without offering the proper tribute, which always seem to be apologies to everything. It is a tribe. Atheism Plus tends to operate on this level - everything seems based more on hierarchy than equality. I don't think it's close - while lots of people here have right wing politics, this is a leftist place.

Altair

Post by Altair »

rocko2466 wrote:
True. For do we not get told that our intent matters not, but it is the history of our sins that controls the word?

Preach it!
Now she's trying to paint the #stupidbitch as ironic, something that other people would call her. Even if the hashtag referred to herself, her claim that she never used that word has been debunked.
Ophelia Benson ‏@OpheliaBenson

Details
21m SlantedScience SlantedScience ‏@SlantedScience

@OpheliaBenson @aratina Really? "Bitch"? Hypocrite.
Details
Ophelia Benson Ophelia Benson ‏@OpheliaBenson

@SlantedScience @aratina No; not really. The hashtag was ironic - what bystanders would call me. Stupid.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
welch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Haha! Classic welch. I'm building the script in my mind, it's hilarious.

A: "Can we get a pepperoni one?"
B: "Girl please, patriarchy much?"
A: "Girl? Girl? I am a quad-gendered triple spirit. Preferred pronouns are xie, xa, xing and xong."
B: "Your projections are triggering for folks here of fluidic pansexuality. Here, take a week's vacation from talking and think about the harm you have, or may, but didn't, but could have, caused."
Rocko! Dramatic reading, please! :lol:

incognito

Post by incognito »

David Allen Coe and Anal Cunt, folks!

Circa 1996, that was the most egalitarian world a woman could find. The sexism (and other-isms) was funny because it was so bad.
(I admit to being ignorant about "middle class" stuff. We're firmly lower/working class 'round here.)

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

It's funny to watch a grown adult who after such a long time of pandering to a crowd which grants magic powers of offense to certain words, now has to play damage control over simply typing a single word into Twitter, just like a child who used profanity in front of the teacher in class.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

16bitheretic wrote:C0nc0rdance weighs in on his discussion with PZ:

Hey, I'm in a Youtube video!

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Or Anal Cunt.
No appreciation for David Allen Coe? I've lived my life based entirely on the advice he gives at the end of "Itty Bitty Titties" :D

Apples

Post by Apples »

First-rate. Gemmer, you get a hat-tip as one of PZ's victims.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Or Anal Cunt.
[youtube]LkYdslLEPuY[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I thought about something for a while. I want to do more videos and post a lot more on my Beliefblower blog. But I have a webcam that is dieing a horrible death. So, after much deliberation, I decided to put a donate button on my website. Am I now a hypocrite?

Seriously. I worry about this kind of shit.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Opportunists?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I thought about something for a while. I want to do more videos and post a lot more on my Beliefblower blog. But I have a webcam that is dieing a horrible death. So, after much deliberation, I decided to put a donate button on my website. Am I now a hypocrite?

If you said the donations were for your partner's treatment and then went and bought a webcam right afterwards it would be a problem.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Jack wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: LOL you got it :D You know, it just occurred to me, I've never heard different terms for bisexuals (that would be me). Are there any? I'm sure there are, I've just not heard them for some reason.
Opportunists?
LOL Good one. As I said earlier, confused is the only word I've heard regarding women who are bisexuals. Actually, I take that back. I've heard greedy as well. But no actual regular words or phrases used to describe bisexuals. Kinda weird. Or maybe I'm just sheltered as far as that goes.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I thought about something for a while. I want to do more videos and post a lot more on my Beliefblower blog. But I have a webcam that is dieing a horrible death. So, after much deliberation, I decided to put a donate button on my website. Am I now a hypocrite?

There's nothing wrong with asking for support.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Jack wrote:
Opportunists?
LOL Good one. As I said earlier, confused is the only word I've heard regarding women who are bisexuals. Actually, I take that back. I've heard greedy as well. But no actual regular words or phrases used to describe bisexuals. Kinda weird. Or maybe I'm just sheltered as far as that goes.
Well in the UK we just say 'bi'. I know people of every shade of sexuality and they really do not give a toss how they are described, it is the intent behind it that matters. It really is not an issue, those at A+ that make it one are causing people a lot of unnecessary grief.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Jack wrote:

There's nothing wrong with asking for support.
It's all that stuff with FTBers at the moment screwing with my head. On the one hand, my guy and I are going to be very tight as far as money in the coming months. But I was thinking vlogging and blogging to those who enjoy what I put out and asking for donations to make it better is a bit different. On the other hand, I'm thinking of how it looked to me when various FTBers asked for handouts. Conflicted but going ahead with it for the moment.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

16bitheretic wrote:

If you said the donations were for your partner's treatment and then went and bought a webcam right afterwards it would be a problem.
Ok. I guess I'm trying hard to ensure I'm not a hypocrite. Thanks :)

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Yes. A little.

If you buy shoes instead.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

I know some people have a bit of a stick up their ass about donation buttons, etc. Not saying anyone here necessarily, but I've seen the attitude that taking donations is somehow corrupting, as if you will then be beholden to the donors, or that one should only ever blog for the pure and untainted love of blogging and money will necessarily corrupt that. I suppose it could happen, but I don't think it's a big risk for a normally independent person. I put a donate button on my blog that nobody reads, explicitly stating that it will be spent on beer. No takers so far, but I don't think anyone could call me any kind of hypocrite or question my objectivity over it. In a way, I see it as equal to the busking I did in my youth. I've never panhandled, but I've often been open to donations by like-minded folks.

If I had a nickel, I'd send it. Good luck!

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Nicely done. Well reasoned and well supported with evidence. Hopefully that one will get a lot of views.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

rocko2466 wrote:

Yes. A little.

Mandatory:
[youtube]wCF3ywukQYA[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rocko2466 wrote:

Yes. A little.

No shoes will be purchased with donations :D Especially not Fluevogs!

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

The comments on both Noelplum99's video and C0nc0rdance's are awesome!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Watching HLN's craptastic coverage of the Jodi Arias murder trial, which I learned about just the other day. The trial thus far is a farce, with some of the most exquisite victim blaming. Apparently the victim, Travis Alexander, was a rapist deviant pedophile who would wank with pictures of boys spread out on his bed and wanted her to do anal wearing spiderman undies, which is why she had no choice to defend herself by shooting him, stabbing him 29 times and cutting his throat down to the spinal column while he was taking a shower.

So far no word from Amanda Marcotte. Someone is probably busy with a little jilling off.

They have on an "expert" in detecting lying who pointed out that Arias, when she would recount horrible things, her affect was smiling.

The term used is "duping delight".

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/Ez8gs-C53ic/mqdefault.jpg

Just saying.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Renee,

In more detailed response, you're only a hypocrite if you've criticised people for putting a donate button on their site, mentioning a purpose for the money and not following through.

If I were you, I'd just make it clear that you're going to use it for things INCLUDING getting a camera (which you need) but also other things if more comes in. You can feel free to mention the medical issues, but not to suggest you're running a help-my-medical-bills fundraiser unless that's your intent (and that's what you end up doing with the money).

I have a donate button on my blog and Youtube channel because people can feel free to donate if they like. In fact, I only put it there because someone asked after one (they never ended up donating, but whatevs lol). I also spent $40 on a 3000 sound effect pack for the videos, so if I do ever get donations, I can justify it with that (as long as I realise that if I ever got any donations, I'd be sortof morally compelled to continue producing material for a reasonable period of time).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

nippletwister wrote:

I know some people have a bit of a stick up their ass about donation buttons, etc. Not saying anyone here necessarily, but I've seen the attitude that taking donations is somehow corrupting, as if you will then be beholden to the donors, or that one should only ever blog for the pure and untainted love of blogging and money will necessarily corrupt that. I suppose it could happen, but I don't think it's a big risk for a normally independent person. I put a donate button on my blog that nobody reads, explicitly stating that it will be spent on beer. No takers so far, but I don't think anyone could call me any kind of hypocrite or question my objectivity over it. In a way, I see it as equal to the busking I did in my youth. I've never panhandled, but I've often been open to donations by like-minded folks.

If I had a nickel, I'd send it. Good luck!
All good and thanks for the feedback. If people want to donate, they will. If they don't, I'll still do what I'm doing - it'll just be quite a bit before I get a new webcam.

So, what is your website? I wouldn't mind throwing a nickel or two when I have the chance :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:

Ok. I guess I'm trying hard to ensure I'm not a hypocrite. Thanks :)
Do Fluevog even MAKE webcams?