Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
bhoytony

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:
bhoytony wrote: I find their behaviour disgusting and hilarious at the same time. I don't argue against them, I don't try and build bridges or attempt to change their minds. I'm just here for the laughs and to watch them dissolve in a pool of their own angry tears.
What if instead of dissolving in a pool of their own tears, they will successfully inject their ideology in the movement and their ugly mugs become its public faces for the next few decades? What would you do then?

I could mention a few progressive movements in history which have been thus hijacked.
I'll whine about it on a website.

fascination

Post by fascination »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:I hit submit too soon and now I've lost my thoughts. Anyway, basically I just wanted to say I think that they will smear us no matter what. Look at what they're doing to Shermer. That's all
You're correct.
However, any fence-sitter or external observer could immediately spot the difference between their specious accusations to Shermer and more founded complaints.
If you get falsely accused of shoplifting at the mall, that gives you no licence of shitting in the main entrance.
I'm arriving late to this so I apologize if you've already mentioned this but do you want to start a new forum/thread or are you trying to influence the Pit's behavior?

decius

Post by decius »

bhoytony wrote:
Am I mistaken to assume that you would prefer to laugh at their dissolution in tears to whine on a website about their successful takeover?

Apples

Post by Apples »

Brain Box wrote:
Brain Box wrote:Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote (somedumbguy). Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with Svan, I couldn't give a shit what she thinks. However people here are going to call out posts they think are counter-productive or "cross the line," especially those who have a rooted intellectual investment in fighting FTB/A+/etc. irrationality and see this forum as important in that fight. Why do you post here, because making fat jokes adds a little joy to your life?
jimthepleb wrote:Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote, stephanie svan. Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with SDG.
Do some fucking research before you call bullshit on someone else you dumbass.
THIS conversation started after svan's latest BAWWW over 'horrid meanie shoops'
SDG is an entirely different matter. But if u wanna just pull shit outta ur arse go back to FtB
:lol:

Go back to the original posts by decius and others in regards to SDG's post. SDG's musings on who "deserves to be raped" and other tasteless posts like it is what triggered this entire discussion around post quality. Svan's blog post is only tangentially related, in that it highlighted specific posts that may be found on the slymepit forum. Even if she hadn't of commented this would still be up for discussion, as it had been before she said anything about it.
Whose posts are you saying were comparable to SDG's? Please cite them, so Lsuoma can handle it.

Mr Danksworth

Re: Here You Go....

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Mykeru wrote:This should be fun:

[youtube]b_7SRa_xQNQ[/youtube]
It's about fucking time, you lazy hippy. It's time for me to share this around!

:text-bravo:

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
bhoytony wrote: I find their behaviour disgusting and hilarious at the same time. I don't argue against them, I don't try and build bridges or attempt to change their minds. I'm just here for the laughs and to watch them dissolve in a pool of their own angry tears.
What if instead of dissolving in a pool of their own tears, they will successfully inject their ideology in the movement and their ugly mugs become its public faces for the next few decades? What would you do then?

I could mention a few progressive movements in history which have been thus hijacked.
I'll laugh even harder that a group of so-called skeptics were just as vulnerable to manipulative con-artists as anyone else.

It will be even more funny, because they think they're so fucking immune to it via the magical powers of critical thinking and rational analysis.

Mind you, it won't be the first time that a group of The Very Smart got sucked in. I had a tech school instructor at Grand Forks who was Mr. I Know The Shit out of Math. One day, he and a good friend were playing pool in our dorm, and I happened to wander in. We ended up playing against each other and he said "John, you can't win. I know trigonometry and physics better than you."

"Indulge me was my reply"

After I destroyed him three games in a row, I said "Three things mike:'

1) My dad was a part-time pool shark. I learned how to destroy people like you before I could see over the table.

2) You do in fact have superior understanding of trig and physics. However, I have a far, far better knowledge of this table, specifically where all the uneven bits are, table suck, etc. I know *this table* far, far better than you, and so can make better shots. Yes, yes, you're right, on a proper table in a billiards hall, you'd do better. But on this table? Not a chance.

3) Never confuse academic knowledge with the experience of someone who's been playing pool about as long as they've been out of diapers. Your ego just got you into trouble. Be glad this wasn't for money, or your wife would be having words with you right now."

The easiest mark in the world is the one who thinks they're too smart to be suckered. You think Watson manipulates people so easily because she's got a great rack? hardly. It's that most of y'all are the biggest suckers i've ever seen.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

nippletwister wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:oh by the way guys...my dog died 5 years ago yesterday can i have some money please? Shoes are an acceptable answer.

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. My dog turned 5 in October, and he's a perfectly fat and happy little shit-machine who barks to goddamned much but is extremely affectionate, and keeps my butt warm at night when he cuddles up next to me.

He's also awesome at catching and fetching, but only when he feels like it, and he hates it when I fly my indoor remote control helicopter or play with my remote R2-D2. He hates all machines that move or make noise on their own, but other than that he's pretty sane. Also, he's not fixed, which really annoys other people at the dog park even though he doesn't hump anything. They can kiss my ass, or my dog's balls, their choice.

Anyway, I guess I don't really need anyone's pity, understanding, or money, although good dog food can be pricey for a broke bloke like myself. I just have an awesome dog, is all.
My dog died in November, so... fuck you I guess?

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

So, JV posted a neat picture of himself. We'll fix that...

http://wcoa.info/vacula.jpg

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

incognito wrote:Can I get a definition of SJW as it's used here? I know what it stands for, but I consider UHC activism to be a social justice thing, and consider people like Margaret Flowers to be *actual* SJWs:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02052 ... file3.html
To me it's those who never grew out of their teenage martyr complex latching on to actual issues to deflect from their perceptions of their own inadequacies. They don't actually care, but condemning loudly others that disagree to give the impression they do. The opposite of political or social activism. It is an affectation, a style choice. Get the glasses, dye the hair, self diagnose, conflate your trivial whines to real issues, wave your hands about prating your premade Pzombie answers and blame the world and daddy for your apathy. That's an SJW to me. They've been around for ever.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Am I mistaken to assume that you would prefer to laugh at their dissolution in tears to whine on a website about their successful takeover?
You really do take yourself and me way too seriously. Here's a tip, a lot of the time when I say something I taking the single fish.

decius

Post by decius »

fascination wrote:
I'm arriving late to this so I apologize if you've already mentioned this but do you want to start a new forum/thread or are you trying to influence the Pit's behavior?
I'm jaqing off, right now.

A couple of nights ago, I was discussing with some serious philos, who have been strenuously opposing FtB and A+ and yet wouldn't touch the Pit with a bargepole. They condemned the crass imagery, mostly.
I did my best to defend the place, then I came back and reported on this sentiment. Some think it's a convo worth having, some disagree.

Brain Box

Post by Brain Box »

jimthepleb wrote: [youtube]KQxhOYqLPdY[/youtube]
fuck off noob

That was too easy. :clap: Sucks when you don't know what you are talking about, eh?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

No one can deny that there are real differences between men and women. Women have chest bumps; men have dangly bits. Women menstruate, get pregnant, and lactate. Men have more testosterone and can grow beards. Women have two X chromosomes; men have one X and one Y.
Hall is going to catch a flying sack of shit from the SJW's for that one.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

decius wrote: I'm jaqing off, right now.

A couple of nights ago, I was discussing with some serious philos
Yeah, not gonna bite.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:

A couple of nights ago, I was discussing with some serious philos, who have been strenuously opposing FtB and A+ and yet wouldn't touch the Pit with a bargepole. They condemned the crass imagery, mostly.
I did my best to defend the place, then I came back and reported on this sentiment. Some think it's a convo worth having, some disagree.
Not everyone will ever agree with every site. So what?

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

jimthepleb wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm not the person I pretend to be here.

I mean, I have the same name, same address, same life, same face, same everything... except for the attitude. This place is such a relief from everyday pressure, I would leave if it was to change.

Alternatively, I could be Barry Crocker...
If we split this thread into 3
1. Serious A/S discussion
2. SJW take downs
3. The Lulz (no holds barred)

who would go where?

If we split this thread into three:

1: Orthodox
2: Catholic
3. Lets sharpen broom handles on the foot path and hunt the neighborhood kitty cats

who would go where?

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:

They sound boring as fuck. We already have Steersman to fill that role, no need for any more.

Best wishes to you and yours, Renee.

decius

Post by decius »

bhoytony wrote: You really do take yourself and me way too seriously. Here's a tip, a lot of the time when I say something I taking the single fish.
Not myself, but I do care for the health and flourishing of the movement. Can you understand this?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Za-zen wrote:
We've had this debate before, we will continue to have this debate as long as the pit remains chaotic. I enjoy chaos, i believe chaos generates creativity that is otherwise stifled. I understand why others wish to curtail the chaos, i'm as of yet unconvinced. At my bar fish and chips gets served with a helping of lobster.
Deep fried lobster?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

welch wrote:
decius wrote:

I'll laugh even harder that a group of so-called skeptics were just as vulnerable to manipulative con-artists as anyone else.

It will be even more funny, because they think they're so fucking immune to it via the magical powers of critical thinking and rational analysis.

Mind you, it won't be the first time that a group of The Very Smart got sucked in. I had a tech school instructor at Grand Forks who was Mr. I Know The Shit out of Math. One day, he and a good friend were playing pool in our dorm, and I happened to wander in. We ended up playing against each other and he said "John, you can't win. I know trigonometry and physics better than you."

"Indulge me was my reply"

After I destroyed him three games in a row, I said "Three things mike:'

1) My dad was a part-time pool shark. I learned how to destroy people like you before I could see over the table.

2) You do in fact have superior understanding of trig and physics. However, I have a far, far better knowledge of this table, specifically where all the uneven bits are, table suck, etc. I know *this table* far, far better than you, and so can make better shots. Yes, yes, you're right, on a proper table in a billiards hall, you'd do better. But on this table? Not a chance.

3) Never confuse academic knowledge with the experience of someone who's been playing pool about as long as they've been out of diapers. Your ego just got you into trouble. Be glad this wasn't for money, or your wife would be having words with you right now."

The easiest mark in the world is the one who thinks they're too smart to be suckered. You think Watson manipulates people so easily because she's got a great rack? hardly. It's that most of y'all are the biggest suckers i've ever seen.
Great post welch. I have often noticed that people confuse 'arrogance' with 'intelligence'. I even heard someone say that 'arrogance is proof of intelligence, b/c smart people know they are smart.'

I have always thought that arrogance is a sign of weakness, b/c you are then blind to your own flaws and/or any mistakes you might make.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

fascination wrote:I realize that I am late to this discussion but I want to throw in my two cents. In my posts here I haven't made jokes about anyone's looks. I haven't photoshopped anyone's picture. I haven't even used any gendered swear words in any of my posts here. Do you know where that has gotten me? I get called the same names as the people who do all those things. I get tarred with the same brush as all the rest of you. I am called a gender traitor, a chill girl, brainwashed, sister punisher. All I wanted was to be treated like an equal, not a fucking victim. All I wanted a place were i could freely discuss these things. I guess if that makes me a "chill girl" then that's what I am!
You're our chill girl. And that is cool.

Scented Nectar

Re: Here You Go....

Post by Scented Nectar »

That was an incredibly excellent video!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

decius wrote:
bhoytony wrote: You really do take yourself and me way too seriously. Here's a tip, a lot of the time when I say something I taking the single fish.
Not myself, but I do care for the health and flourishing of the movement. Can you understand this?
Wrong venue, Decius, wrong venue...

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote: Not everyone will ever agree with every site. So what?
I see your earlier point. It is absolutely true that skeptics and rationalists should be able to see through the scam.

But it isn't about their agreement, it's about whether the criticism is valid or not.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Metalogic42 wrote:

48 minutes, jeez. I'll get back to you on that one. :P
Epic takedown is epic. Plus dog stories and the origins of the cow skull!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Brain Box wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: [youtube]KQxhOYqLPdY[/youtube]
fuck off noob

That was too easy. :clap: Sucks when you don't know what you are talking about, eh?
I'll tell u what, look back...who was online when the whole SDG shit blew up? Who has discussed the issue ad fucking nauseum with others here over the last few days. Who was around when the svan blog was published and then watched the fallout from it.... clue it wasn't you.
Fucking part timers with their fucking hypoagency. Read again I know it's a lot to read but i'm sure you can do it. I realise you are new but if you bullshit here you are gunna get called. If others think i am wrong they will call me.
Now seriously fuck off and stop being a noob.

decius

Post by decius »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
decius wrote:
Wrong venue, Decius, wrong venue...
Roger to that.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:

from my perspective that is excellent news...serious philosophers get in the way of anything of substance actually being done.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimthepleb wrote:

I mean, I have the same name, same address, same life, same face, same everything... except for the attitude. This place is such a relief from everyday pressure, I would leave if it was to change.

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
Those are unneeded splits. The only split that might be needed is a separate polite forum that, like the Pit, does all three of the above but in a polite and moderated manner. It would not alter or affect the original pit.

However, if the original uncensored pit itself split into three categories instead of a never ending thread format, it would be very annoying trying to keep up with, plus you'd always be having to figure out what category to post something in. What if it fits into more than one category, or starts as discussion of one category and becomes another? I think unnecessary splitting would dissolve the main Pit. I don't like the idea.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

TheMan wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?

3. Lets sharpen broom handles on the foot path and hunt the neighborhood kitty cats

who would go where?
DEATH TO THE KITTEHS!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

jimthepleb wrote:

I'll tell u what, look back...who was online when the whole SDG shit blew up?
Not really fair. I'm online here 24/7 as I keep a tab open and never shut down my laptop. I can't be held responsible for having my CPU on at all time.

Ok, maybe it's not "green". But I have 3D renderings to do, as well as musical ones. And I live in a first-world country with ok prices on electricity.

Pitch forks on your right, torches on your left...

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

LMU wrote:
Jack wrote:
Apples wrote:
Notung wrote:--snipped--
--also snipped--
He seemed to be under the delusion that if we we're all polite and nice it would make the slightest difference to their narrative. If they manage to pick up Shermer on a tiny point and twist it beyond recognition then us 'being nice' will make no difference at all.

There are also many attacks on FtB's/A+'s position going on, not just here of course. This is one approach, there are others and they ARE being done. No need to fix something that's not broke.
I think the argument isn't that it would change the baboons' behavior at all, I agree with you that it wouldn't, but that our tone is driving potential allies and posters away from us. Imagine a higher profile skeptic or atheist or just one who takes themselves more seriously than we do, they don't really want to be associated with a forum that would post an animation of a dog humping a cow and call it the Svan-Laden sex tape. They would be embarrassed to be associated even if they thought it was funny and agreed with most points made.

That being said, I don't think we should worry about it too much. There are plenty of people who come here and see past the crudeness, and I think there are people who come here for entertainment or information but don't post. There are other places, many of them mentioned here, where someone who didn't want to be associated with the Slymepit could go. Remember that the original slime pit was just a long blog comment thread, some of the people complaining about tone seem like they'd be in a good position to address the problem themselves.

Frankly, the fun and unmoderated atmosphere here is still a huge breath of fresh air to me. I was choking on the false sincerity and pompousness in the blogosphere. People can make the argument that we could be more productive, or more attractive to outsiders, but the atmosphere here is definitely one of the main attractions for me. I wouldn't have stuck around if this place had the same pretentious and restrained atmosphere as so many other blogs and forums, and I think this is true of many here. I still have my own blog, and I still comment on other blogs when I want to be serious and only serious. I think the 'pit is better off being the 'pit, and I think it is a valuable resource as is. The skeptic/secular/atheist bunch are not entirely humorless, uptight, pompous prigs, although that seems to be a popular thing to be these days. I am also of the opinion that humor, even somewhat brutal humor and mocking, has a valid place in the greater community. PZ and the SJW's think so too, as long as it never points at their follies and people only ever "punch up" (aka at white men, no matter how privileged or unprivileged). Fuck them.

That said, I have seen many great and useful discussions here. I think notung is a valuable voice, but if he wants to either change this forum or piss off, he can piss off. I'll still read his blog.

The more serious-minded people here are reasonable, and full of good ideas. But if it's "the 'pit as it is or them", I can read their regular blogs (which I often already do), and they can piss off as well, as far as I'm concerned. I hope and wish everyone will stick around and keep up the lively and productive conversations...but that's not ALL this place is for, and the rest of us should not be subject to such expectations. I for one have had no trouble at all separating the different currents that flow here. It's only a matter of a little reading, FFS. Those who can't be bothered to do that have no place in a skeptical movement and SHOULD be mocked, and heartily. I will not be censored by catering to the half-wits and snowflakes and hand-wringers and their over-valued, over-played sensitivities. They've been coddled more than enough already.

If every secular/skeptic/atheist online presence becomes like a fucking monastery or lecture course, I'm going to say fuck the movement, and go back to amateur comedy and writing funny songs and just take the piss out of all of you as best I can. I didn't sign up for a church, a tie-wearing philosophy club, or a pity party. My only serious goals are promoting secularism in society, combating the evils of religion and other irrational belief systems(including leftist ones), and making sure that atheists/skeptics have a welcome place in the larger society. I need my fucking sense of humor to keep at it, especially when every other half-assed special interest group tries to glom on and dilute the important shit that protects us ALL. Having a thoroughly "honest" and free space is very helpful to me, and I suspect to others as well.

Just two dollars and fifty cents' worth from a newbie who contributes very, very little to this forum but loves the hell out of it.

decius

Post by decius »

jimthepleb wrote: from my perspective that is excellent news...serious philosophers get in the way of anything of substance actually being done.
Really? So, when you wank over, say, Russell Blackford's takedowns of the FC(n) it's for his good looks?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Scented Nectar wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
Those are unneeded splits. The only split that might be needed is a separate polite forum that, like the Pit, does all three of the above but in a polite and moderated manner. It would not alter or affect the original pit.

However, if the original uncensored pit itself split into three categories instead of a never ending thread format, it would be very annoying trying to keep up with, plus you'd always be having to figure out what category to post something in. What if it fits into more than one category, or starts as discussion of one category and becomes another? I think unnecessary splitting would dissolve the main Pit. I don't like the idea.
ok sorry guys i havent been clear here. I am not suggesting splitting the thread...ever...but IF it were to happen where would the most traffic go...taking the membership we currently have? clearly decius and notung would go to 1 and 2 as 3 is of no real interest to them...but I'm here to follow the original tagline of the pit..'not hating you but laughing at you' (paraphrase)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

incognito wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
incognito wrote:Can I get a definition of SJW as it's used here? I know what it stands for, but I consider UHC activism to be a social justice thing, and consider people like Margaret Flowers to be *actual* SJWs:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.
I don't consider that a social justice issue - universal health care, along with a public education system, welfare and land/transport infrastructure, are something your taxes should pay for.

One key thing about SJW is they rarely talk about class as an issue (although some attempts seem to have been made in the 1%er discussions re: the Occupy Movement, although even that seemed to devolve).

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Scented Nectar wrote:I think unnecessary splitting would dissolve the main Pit. I don't like the idea.
:dance:

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
no one. not you. not notung. none. of. you. have explained how us being a foul-mouthed goon collective hurts that.

windy

Post by windy »

decius wrote:
fascination wrote:I hit submit too soon and now I've lost my thoughts. Anyway, basically I just wanted to say I think that they will smear us no matter what. Look at what they're doing to Shermer. That's all
You're correct.
However, any fence-sitter or external observer could immediately spot the difference between their specious accusations to Shermer and more founded complaints.
In that case, the objective observer should also spot be able to spot blatant guilt-by-association tactics, so a few posters indulging in "crass imagery" should not lead to dismissal of any serious anti-FtB arguments. (If your "serious philos" disagree with this, I'd be interested in their counter-argument)

If you are arguing that these posts are counterproductive by pointing to real world effects, fine, but then the "be nice" strategy ought to be judged by the same standards, not how it 'should' work in some realm of disinterested Platonic observers.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

decius wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: from my perspective that is excellent news...serious philosophers get in the way of anything of substance actually being done.
Really? So, when you wank over, say, Russell Blackford's takedowns of the FC(n) it's for his good looks?
Unwaranted. Russell, beside being a philosopher, is also a very goor Sci-Fi writter. And a thinker (no, not the same as philosopher). I will even go as far as to say that when he goes into philosophy territory, I don't enjoy him as much as when he lets himself go.

Git

Post by Git »

jimthepleb wrote:

who would go where?

DEATH TO THE KITTEHS!
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 056298.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

In fact if SJW addressed class issues I would be on board - such as things like access to legal services and mental health support.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

I'll tell u what, look back...who was online when the whole SDG shit blew up?
Not really fair. I'm online here 24/7 as I keep a tab open and never shut down my laptop. I can't be held responsible for having my CPU on at all time.

Ok, maybe it's not "green". But I have 3D renderings to do, as well as musical ones. And I live in a first-world country with ok prices on electricity.

Pitch forks on your right, torches on your left...
true phil, but brain box was NOT commenting at the time and s/h/it's post facto reckoning that s/h/it's knowledge of what has been happening over the last few days is just plain wrong. while it could be argued that SDG brought up a lot of issues that needed dealing with, the primary issue WAS NOT that insulting our opponents is counterproductive. It was that spewing potentially illegal shit on the board puts lsuoma and possibly abbie in a difficult position. It was the svan blog that brought up the issue of using personal attacks. The board is there to read, and clearly brain box hasn't done so. Or if s/h/it has then they haven't comprehended it. My laptop never sleeps but i'm not watching the board 24/7 either. However I'll tend not to comment on discussion I havent been privy to in real time because there could well be a (twitter skype or pm) context that i am missing.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Here is a link to the Mykeru video again:

If you do not have the time skip to the 40:58 mark or a little beyond it to 41:58

Or even to 45:00:
It is the strategy of predators rolling in shit and dead things to mask the fact that they are predators
But I really recommend starting at 40:58.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Git, I like the new avatar- a cat with a dildo on its head. I used to have one just like it. The dildo I mean, not the cat.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Metalogic42 wrote:If you want a forum that's not like the pit, go fucking make one. You can even post a link to it here. Why are we even discussing this?

So, how about that bread?
The jews stole it for their baby-eating ceremony.

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote:
decius wrote:
no one. not you. not notung. none. of. you. have explained how us being a foul-mouthed goon collective hurts that.
Actually we tried. It's the basic academic standard of attacking the argument and not the person for some irrelevant characteristics they may possess. That doesn't rule out or affect humour, satire, foul-mouthiness, warranted attacks on someone's faulty characters etc, which are all acceptable.

incognito

Post by incognito »

rayshul wrote:
incognito wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.
I don't consider that a social justice issue - universal health care, along with a public education system, welfare and land/transport infrastructure, are something your taxes should pay for.

One key thing about SJW is they rarely talk about class as an issue (although some attempts seem to have been made in the 1%er discussions re: the Occupy Movement, although even that seemed to devolve).
Are you in the US?

decius

Post by decius »

windy wrote: In that case, the objective observer should also spot be able to spot blatant guilt-by-association tactics, so a few posters indulging in "crass imagery" should not lead to dismissal of any serious anti-FtB arguments. (If your "serious philos" disagree with this, I'd be interested in their counter-argument)

If you are arguing that these posts are counterproductive by pointing to real world effects, fine, but then the "be nice" strategy ought to be judged by the same standards, not how it 'should' work in some realm of disinterested Platonic observers.
I made that exact same point about guilt by association. Of course, it was agreed. Real-world effects of arguing by ad-homs and school-yard level insults? Well, Windy, I don't have to, because you're fat.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
welch wrote:
decius wrote:
Actually we tried. It's the basic academic standard of attacking the argument and not the person for some irrelevant characteristics they may possess. That doesn't rule out or affect humour, satire, foul-mouthiness, warranted attacks on someone's faulty characters etc, which are all acceptable.
That's an explanation of different kinds of arguments. Assume we know this, as we weren't raised in boxes. Well, except for mykeru, who still lives in one.

How the FUCK does our being a box of insane crabs hurt anything.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:
Russell Blackford came onto my radar about a month ago, while i would agree with his appraisal of FC(n) i have found all his material really hard to fap to You're a self righteous cunt at the best of times decius, but you are making it clear that you want to change the pit to suit your agenda. You are deliberately trying to cause a fissure here in the pit what's your endgame? Oh and regarding your tweet; fuck you very much:)

incognito

Post by incognito »

rayshul wrote:In fact if SJW addressed class issues I would be on board - such as things like access to legal services and mental health support.
IMO, that sort of stuff is "SJ 101" (in A+-speak.)
There's also stuff like this:

http://www.cvent.com/events/9th-nationa ... 124b5.aspx

Steersman

Re: kinder and gentler

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote: [Post 4772]
jimthepleb wrote: I almost wish Lsuoma hadn't edited his comment
The ONLY reason a comment should be "edited" is to remove personal information, or illegal images. Delete posts if you must. It makes me cringe every time I see a post has been"edited". I was quite uncomfortable with the editing in order to fix the spoiler mistakes.

<snip>

Stop trying to change this place. It is already sorted.
Some of us spent a lot of time and effort getting this place the way the majority wanted it. I can confidently assure that it never would have succeeded without the originals, and the original format, and the vast majority wanted it the way it is.

<snip>

I'm not particularly fond of regulated etiquette for any length of time, it gets boring rather quickly.

<snip>
Right fucking on, sacha; well fucking said. More or less in any case. That really seems to be the claim to fame here, that no one – or virtually no one – gets a free ride, particularly by claiming membership in some nebulous and self-righteous, group-thinking community: not Social Justice Warriors; not “gender feminists” – “I am Woman!”, an egregious ploy that Watson tends to use to excess; not MRAs; not even “humanists”, there being a vocal vegetarian cohort.

However, as I think your comment about editing comments to remove personal information illustrates, I think we all recognize that a modicum of rules is required if both this forum and civilization are to “live long and prosper”, although that still raises a number of questions. But the trick is, I think, in finding the right balance between too much and not enough – “strait is the gate and narrow is the way ….”

As a for instance of that, I tend to think, on one hand, that some of the photoshoppings are rather rude, crude and gratuitous insults, pointless ad hominems, that don’t really move the ball downfield at all, that some might consider shading into some actual and egregiously problematic hatred of some group such as typified by this. But then again, on the other hand, even those may have, potentially at least, some utility in, as the joke about the recalcitrant mule goes, getting people’s attention; as I think someone here suggested or quoted someone else, what can stand some humour and sarcasm directed at it has some chance of having some credibility. Really has to depend to a large extent on context which necessitates developing some degree of critical thought and discernment – presumably the claim to fame of skeptics.

But, genuflecting to my typecasting, one might argue that your “sermon on the mount”, while quite stirring if not actually boner-producing, still seems to suffer somewhat from the fairly common human failing – nice legs, sacha, but still clay feet like the rest of us – of prescribing a particular course of action or moral stance. Which, in this case, seems to be an anathematizing of questioning the rules of this place. While I’m generally happy with the way they are, not everyone is and they should be afforded the opportunity to question them without them being told what to do with a dead porcupine - or to have them think that, should that sentiment be voiced, it will inexorably be followed by dog-piles, thumb-screws and dungeons. And likewise with newbies – if this was a closed forum, as AtheismPlus seems destined to become, then one might reasonably want to chisel those rules into tablets of stone. But that is not the case, and circumstances change; best course of action, I think, is to be very careful about closing out options by dogmatic stances of any – or virtually any – kind.

decius

Post by decius »

jimthepleb wrote: Russell Blackford came onto my radar about a month ago, while i would agree with his appraisal of FC(n) i have found all his material really hard to fap to You're a self righteous cunt at the best of times decius, but you are making it clear that you want to change the pit to suit your agenda. You are deliberately trying to cause a fissure here in the pit what's your endgame? Oh and regarding your tweet; fuck you very much:)

Bullshit, I just enjoy to beat you over the head, Jim.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

rayshul wrote:In fact if SJW addressed class issues I would be on board - such as things like access to legal services and mental health support.
The outright intellectual and social snobbery of most SJW's is why I can't get onboard. I believe (with no empirical evidence) that benson is only at FtB because she is well-spoken and independently wealthy. Myer's intellectual snobbery is no secret. The A+ crowd strike me as poor little rich kids, whinging because they have been thrown out of their beverly hills mansions for smoking too much pot.
wankers the lot of em.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

decius wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: Russell Blackford came onto my radar about a month ago, while i would agree with his appraisal of FC(n) i have found all his material really hard to fap to You're a self righteous cunt at the best of times decius, but you are making it clear that you want to change the pit to suit your agenda. You are deliberately trying to cause a fissure here in the pit what's your endgame? Oh and regarding your tweet; fuck you very much:)

Bullshit, I just enjoy to beat you over the head, Jim.
Aww I love you too big man:)

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

jimthepleb wrote:
TheMan wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?

who would go where?
DEATH TO THE KITTEHS!

#3: something I used to actually do when I was 13 with my street buddies. We never got a cat as they were too fast, but we did break a few windows and get chased by the police

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

nippletwister wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:If you want a forum that's not like the pit, go fucking make one. You can even post a link to it here. Why are we even discussing this?

So, how about that bread?
The jews stole it for their baby-eating ceremony.
damn those jews stealing our atheist meat! baby isn't kosher anyway.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

The 'Pit should never make concessions to wannabe cult leaders like PZ Myers, Zvan, Benson and Watson. I would pack my bag the day that happens. Mock them into the ground!

¡No pasarán!

Michael K Gray

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]Plato's Formers[/spoiler]

Post by Michael K Gray »

Notung wrote:I'm off.
:
I need a safe space to do my philosophy without being harassed by the Scientismpit.
What does one actually "do" when one "does" philosophy?
Aimlessly juggle meaningless words ad infinitum?
This has never been adequately answered in the last 2,500 years.
Why do people get paid to do this utterly pointless & unproductive subject at Universities at the taxpayers' expense?
It is about as productive as traditional Theology. Maybe less so.

Indeed, if one needs a "safe space" from valid criticism by scores of the most intelligent & educated people on the planet, have you considered taking that criticism on-board, and maybe thinking: "hey, they might be correct!"

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jan Steen wrote:The 'Pit should never make concessions to wannabe cult leaders like PZ Myers, Zvan, Benson and Watson. I would pack my bag the day that happens. Mock them into the ground!

¡No pasarán!
I’ll readily concede if they don’t act so batshit crazy so often that photoshops of them hanging in dank caves aren’t as credible as they once might have been … ;-)