Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by welch »

Notung wrote:So 'telling people what to do' is ordering them around, as if I'm an authority. Reasoning with them, saying 'I believe this is the best way of doing things' (without expecting anyone to do it merely because of any authority) is what I was attempting to do.
realistically, telling someone what to do has no expectation of success. But, consider that maybe your initial posts weren't as clear as you'd like them to have been.
Notung wrote:And I'm well aware that disagreement of any kind will be portrayed as misogyny, etc, as I tried to make clear. I was saying it won't be reasonable because I believe it won't be reasonable. If that happens, which it will, it won't be reasonable.
No, you were saying that "reasonable people" won't be able to conflate you as supporting the 'pit because you <actions no one will really care about>. There's a difference.
Notung wrote:My 'quote mining' was just showing you that I was claiming the very opposite of what you seemed to be trying to argue against.
By quoting highly selective parts of what you said. When you look at OTHER parts, well, it's not so clear. Winning by ellipsis really isn't.

welch

Post by welch »

Sulaco wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:greg laden virtually raped and killed a girl in the 1990's
at least that's what i heard
I heard that he walked on the same side of the street as a girl in the 1990's.

WRT Ed's pay-per-view. Who would pay a yearly subscription to be insulted by that band of mental defectives? Or for what is laughingly referred to as content? Ophie's Outrages are funny, but hardly worth paying for.
also, really, can we compare Sullivan's traffic to his?

Right. So when Sullivan lost readers, (and he did. It is impossible that he didn't), he still had a LOT of readers who stuck around and paid.

FTB? Not so much when they talk about donating a dollar to greta as a major expense.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

"So…Franc Hoggle/Victor Ivanoff has a blog or three. Justin Vacula has a blog. Damion has a blog. Russell Blackford and Miranda Celeste Hale, who posted at the old pit, have blogs. There are blogs dedicated specifically to hating Rebecca and friends. Ed Clint built a fake blog network to “disagree” and “dissent”. Then he helped create (at our suggestion) a whole new blog network that seems to exist largely as a forum to talk about how much the bloggers dissent from FtB and Skepchick. A bunch of the other people who posted at the pit have blogs and Twitter handles and podcasts and pseudonyms to make themselves look like multitudes. They don’t need the pit for that. I pointed that out two days ago."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... mentalism/

Thank Steffie for advertising your blogs :D If anyone knows how to talk to the dead, let Victor Ivanoff know, too.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

d4m10n wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:
decius wrote:You're mistaken in attributing prudery to us, Cowherd.
The aesthetics boundaries of satire should be drawn by the context in which it operates while keeping in mind the political goals one is trying to achieve. Therefore, attacking someone's physical appearance isn't off-limit in an absolute sense. For example, it would be in order to ridicule for their size an obese person who portrayed themselves as a lifestyle guru.

But we are waging a war against bad ideas and a certain type of imagery is the artistic equivalent of an ad-hominem logical fallacy. It is absolutely irrelevant and tells more about the author than about the target.

I know that many people find it funny, but it just gives free ammo to our critics and achieves nothing.

That's all what I was going to say about this subject. Feel free to disagree, but I won't bother our readers with this topic any longer for the foreseeable future.
I'd say I agree with this. I came to the slymepit to find an antidote to the stifling atmosphere created elsewhere in the skeptic movement, not for the lulz at the appearance of FTBers/Skepchicks.

That said, it is worth noting that certain people on the 'other' side actively use their physical appearance as part of their activism (e.g. Rebecca Watson's calendar.) A person loudly putting themselves on a pedestal of sexiness is just asking to be taken down a peg or too - I'm not saying its the wise or the right thing to do, but it is perfectly understandable.

I had to check my history here before I posted this. I don't *think* I've gone after people's appearance, but its easy to get caught up in the mockery and say something you otherwise wouldn't. We are no more immune to group think than anybody else.
Exactly. I agree with the above arguments put forward in favour of self-restraint, and I'd like to point out that it cannot be considered "self-restraint" unless the forum allows people to post various things which I personally find distasteful or at least unhelpful. You can gauge people's personal limits so much better when the forum does not set the limits for everyone. We all draw the line different in different places for different situations, and having an open forum allows people to draw it for themselves.

Of course, it takes a certain amount of effort to suss out who draws what lines on which issues, and it will always be easier for opponents to judge the entire group by its nastiest vitriol rather than its most brilliant satire. I'm not going to sweat that.

It's kind of weird....I have never attacked people here for involuntary physical things, nor can I remember ever doing so online, even in my most rabid moments.

But for some reason, I truly don't give a shit when others do it. I laugh at a lot of them. I think the "Huge Svanity" and the like is hilarious.

Is it logical? No. Does it argue anything valid? No. But even though it can be slightly unfair, I think that if you're going to be nothing but a huge hypocritical gasbag, like Svan, Canuck, PZ, Watson, etc, then pretty much everything becomes fair game for mockery.

With Greta as an example....straight up...this has nothing to do with whether or not Greta is unattractive....but between fashion sense, blabbing about fashion, and her constant braying on the subjects of looks, sex, fashion, objectification (while mostly ignoring any woman's role in her own objectification)....do we really expect EVERYBODY to keep the "high ground"? Her whole strategy is to make herself a target to get attention to her bleating. What the fuck do I care if someone then tells her she's ugly or makes funny pictures of her? That's what she fucking wants, she can have it. I'm not so cynical as to think that she will convince large numbers of people that it's all spontaneous hate from misogynists. It hasn't worked to well so far except on the willfully stupid and other fellow professional victims looking to cash in.

If she can be so dishonest and whiny to make a fucking living off other people's attention, then she can just deal with "men calling her things".

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

@welch: since you seem to be knowledgeable about this stuff, would Ed Brayton's "PPV" idea mean that he wouldn't be able to ban them for trivial reasons (since they paid money and what not)?

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Secondly, what is FTB but a glorified Webring, circa 1998? If was an actual webring - nothing but a portal with links to outbound member sites - how would it be any different than it is now, besides being cheaper and less hassle for Ed? It's a horrible misuse of their paid infrastructure. They need a full time editor to redo the front page throughout the day, with fresh pullquote teasers to draw people into the SITE, not a page o' links to bloggers everyone's already got bookmarked. There are no stars, no places of pride on Huffpo's front page, just rotating article excerpts. If nothing else, doing that would compel deadweight like Ophelia to move her ass and deliver some original writing once in a while or disappear from view altogether.

All that money spent, and instead of something like Patheos, Ed reinvented GeoCities.
You know, this is something that I've wondered about for a while now. Who the fuck, other than the Atheist/Skeptics has "blog networks"? What the fuck does being a part of a "network" gain you other than a fancy landing page? In the tech blogging world we manage to do just fine running our own sites. What the hell is the draw?
I wish I knew. If nothing else, that kind of single site thing is a google killer. You want juice? Get 36 separate sites all linking to each other. It would a) save them a ton of money, (like ALL OF IT) and b) allow people to still link to each other, but not be thought of as some groupmind. There is literally zero downside to every one of those being their own blog. WordPress or what have you, and voila.

Christ, for a group of people who are supposedly so independent, they sure do cling to each other.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

rayshul wrote:I'm going to sound like an idiot here... but...

I was pretty sure the reason people wore high heels was because it made them look taller.

People are more impressed by taller people and tall people are more likely to get top jobs (as far as I remember from shitty pop recruitment facts).

Therefore if a woman wears heels she gives the appearance of tallness, much like a puffer fish bloating itself to appear bigger and more threatening.
There's that. There's also that your posture when your feet are trying to pitch you forward is ass high, calves taut, and chest up and out.

It's why stilettos are called Fuck-me Pumps.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

nippletwister wrote:
Basic fucking honesty? There's no "spin" required, just basic honesty.

What SDG said was clearly emotionally hyperbolic rhetoric. You would have to be pretty stupid to think it a real threat, anymore than christians leaving threats of hellfire on liberal blogs is a real threat. Anymore than "Die in a fire. No, really, I mean it, please die in a fire" (pharyngula comment) is a threat. Any more than the constant wishes of bestial sodomy on pharyngula are real threats. I've been reading pharyngula for 8 years, I can't count the times I've seen death wishes in the comments there, at Skepchick, at any of the angrier blogs. Of course, none of that will be mentioned in any FTB narrative.

Leaving out the facts that they were obviously hollow words, that EVERYONE on the board at the time of both supposed "threats" engaged in universal condemnation, and that it was immediately followed by a serious discussion about how to deal with such things when they happen, is just about the most dishonest thing a person could do. And that's what she did.

The condemnation was immediate and unanimous, and started within a minute or so of the original post, and this was late on a Saturday night with only 5 or 6 people online shooting the shit. I was present and saw it.

I don't even recognize this Jen person, never heard of her before this weekend, but it's amazing how fast the dishonesty spreads in that crowd.
However,

We have no way of really knowing as far as I am aware, if she did in fact read everything, and hence my use of weasel words. If I had absolute proof I could get behind what you said about her being dishonest.

If I remember correctly, she gave no indication she had read anything other than what she said she did. I gave her and myself some wiggle room for that reason.

If I knew for certain she hung around and kept refreshing the page, and thus read more than she let on I would have no problem otherwise with what you said.

My default position generally is the golden rule.
And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
- Luke 6:31
Woe to those… who, when they have to receive by measure from men, they demand exact full measure, but when they have to give by measure or weight to men, give less than due.
– Surat Al-Muţaffifīn 83

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:The fuck, Welch, stop advising them wisely. They read here.
You know as well as I that those egos are never, never going to listen to a fucking thing I say. I OFFERED advice to brayton when he was first talking about this, and it was ignored. They think they know everything. I don't even have a BACHELOR'S degree, how could I possibly know ANYTHING.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Altair wrote:
rayshul wrote:
I was pretty sure the reason people wore high heels was because it made them look taller
I think it also has to do with the way the leg looks longer when a woman is wearing high heels
You are both correct : Those are indeed the two reasons why women wear them

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Secondly, what is FTB but a glorified Webring, circa 1998? If was an actual webring - nothing but a portal with links to outbound member sites - how would it be any different than it is now, besides being cheaper and less hassle for Ed? It's a horrible misuse of their paid infrastructure. They need a full time editor to redo the front page throughout the day, with fresh pullquote teasers to draw people into the SITE, not a page o' links to bloggers everyone's already got bookmarked. There are no stars, no places of pride on Huffpo's front page, just rotating article excerpts. If nothing else, doing that would compel deadweight like Ophelia to move her ass and deliver some original writing once in a while or disappear from view altogether.

All that money spent, and instead of something like Patheos, Ed reinvented GeoCities.
You know, this is something that I've wondered about for a while now. Who the fuck, other than the Atheist/Skeptics has "blog networks"? What the fuck does being a part of a "network" gain you other than a fancy landing page? In the tech blogging world we manage to do just fine running our own sites. What the hell is the draw?
I wish I knew. If nothing else, that kind of single site thing is a google killer. You want juice? Get 36 separate sites all linking to each other. It would a) save them a ton of money, (like ALL OF IT) and b) allow people to still link to each other, but not be thought of as some groupmind. There is literally zero downside to every one of those being their own blog. WordPress or what have you, and voila.

Christ, for a group of people who are supposedly so independent, they sure do cling to each other.
Much as it pays me to say it, the model to follow is Gawker. Denton may be an ass, but he's a smart ass.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:@welch: since you seem to be knowledgeable about this stuff, would Ed Brayton's "PPV" idea mean that he wouldn't be able to ban them for trivial reasons (since they paid money and what not)?

well, he *could*, but then there's accounting to deal with. Also, that may not technically cover commenting, merely reading.

In any event, I don't see Ed being able to actually set up the payment processing and site redesign to manage that. There are a lot of variables involved in what Sullivan did, and he's one of the very few who could. FTB is not that.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

surreptitious57 wrote:
Altair wrote:
rayshul wrote:
I was pretty sure the reason people wore high heels was because it made them look taller
I think it also has to do with the way the leg looks longer when a woman is wearing high heels
You are both correct : Those are indeed the two reasons why women wear them
Two of the reasons ... along with many others ...

Altair

Post by Altair »

d4m10n wrote:
decius wrote:You see, Meta, she doesn't have to twist anything there. It's served on a silver platter.
After reading those horrible radfem articles a few pages back found myself thinking, “Are there any men who really think of women like that?” Then that horrible mspainting came along and I'm thinking maybe so.
I don't think whoever made that drawing actually "thinks of women like that". They drew it because they knew it's the kind of things that bothers her. The "is an object" sounds very deliberately placed to invoke her "objectification" response.

The trolls know how to push her buttons. In my opinion, while understanding it must be a bother to get that kind of mail, showcasing it as an example of "Horrible disturbing OMG things I get" just tells the crazies out there that it was right on target. Ignoring it or showing it in a somehow humorous manner would be a better way of disarming them. Of course, that would be assuming that she actually wants to disarm them, and not provoke them, on which the jury is still out.

It also feels a bit hypocritical after she send some guy whose name I forgot an ASCII drawing of a bird grasping a penis with its claws.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

Much as it pays me to say it, the model to follow is Gawker. Denton may be an ass, but he's a smart ass.
Indeed. I may really, really dislike Denton, but damn, that man knows how to make fucking mo-NAY off of a website.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:@welch: since you seem to be knowledgeable about this stuff, would Ed Brayton's "PPV" idea mean that he wouldn't be able to ban them for trivial reasons (since they paid money and what not)?

well, he *could*, but then there's accounting to deal with. Also, that may not technically cover commenting, merely reading.

In any event, I don't see Ed being able to actually set up the payment processing and site redesign to manage that. There are a lot of variables involved in what Sullivan did, and he's one of the very few who could. FTB is not that.
If FTB went paywall they'd close shop within the first 3 months.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/ON0CZ8S.jpg

More propaganda/strawmanning from Adam Lee
Justin Vacula says he doesn't see any evidence that atheist women are sexually harassed.
What did I actually say in my twitlonger response? Here's my response to his ridiculous claim:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kucdul

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Angry_Drunk wrote:If FTB went paywall they'd close shop within the first 3 months.
True dat.

Plus, apart from having stables of "name" columnists the fucktard masses think are worth money to read, sites like the NYTimes have the juice and money to ensure their content doesn't get "repurposed" elsewhere. Ed would have to quit sleeping just to bag a fraction of the sites who'll steal his shit.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
cunt wrote:Even if you really believe that all MRAs are just poor little puppy dogs who would never hurt a fly, publishing those students names is fucking stupid.

To a casual observer it looks like they have a hit-list. Like combat18 had Red Watch.
If you're going to publicly protest something and *know* you are being placed on video during this protest, you had better prepare for having your name released.

Personally, I have no problem with AVfM putting out their information. Not only does this allow me to steer clear of such vile assholes but it also ensures other people steer clear of these people.

This is what I was saying. I've been to anti-war protests. I went to Woodstock '99 when drunk and tweeking kids burned down some of the concessions tents. I was there, in public, within feet of protests and crimes, and this is not private information in any way shape or form. There are pictures, ticket stubs, newspaper photos. If someone knew these things and thought I was a punk kid or a pot-smoking hippie for going to such things, and didn't want to hire me because of them, that could affect my future, and I have no right to expect otherwise.

And I didn't even do anything wrong or illegal, but easily could have been made to look bad or stupid.

I disagree with the concept of "doxxing" when it is the act of digging up private info to dump about someone who took steps to remain anonymous and didn't break any laws, especially if the purpose ( as it usually is) is to silence, intimidate, or cause real-life harassment to someone over an opinion. I believe this is already considered harassment where I live, depending on the full circumstances and actions taken and the nature of the info released.

But putting up names and pics of screaming loony protesters blocking doors? Simple, accurate documentation of public acts and actors? Maybe they'll think twice about outrageous public actions next time. If you can't risk public association with your own public actions, you are just a clueless entitled snowflake who needs to be hammered with a clue-stick until you get it.

Altair

Re: becky gets email

Post by Altair »

Apples wrote:So ... some freak sent Rebecca Watson a gross ms paint file, supposed to be her, with the label, "Rebecca Watson is an object." It's weird/disturbing and certainly counts as harassment. She pontificates a bit about it and singles out Paula Kirby and Shermer for attention, claiming of Shermer, "A single day of the treatment I get would have him boarding up the windows at Skeptic Magazine faster than you can come up with a bigoted nickname based on his name."
I don't know a lot about Mabus, but from what I've read, he harassed and threatened several skeptics, including Shermer.

According to a 2011 Butterflies and Wheels post, Shermer had to get a restraining order against Mabus:
He [Mabus] tells people they are going to die that day or “cease to exist”. He threatens executions. He uses offensive terms starting with “bitch” and getting far worse. He threatens people’s loved ones…He threatens to cut off people’s heads and tells them they are “finished.” He asks people if they think they “deserve to live”. He says he is going to “pound you into the dust” and that you will suffer the “worst form of torture.”
Michael Shermer told me he obtained a restraining order to ensure Mabus would stay clear of him
And according to this SGU post, Shermer contacted the Montreal Police about Mabus (The article they link to is no longer there, so there's no way to find out if their quotes are accurate)
Listen carefully. I have contacted the Montreal police, along with the local police in my city, and alerted them to the danger that you pose as a deranged and possibly mentally ill man. Although your parents indicated that they don't think that you are mentally ill, they are obviously not privy to the death threats you have been sending all of us. On Monday I am filing a restraining order against you. If you show up anywhere near me I will have you arrested on the spot and put into jail. If you attempt to approach me I will be armed and will not hesitate to use any force necessary to stop you.
So I don't think Shermer would be boarding up windows after a day of the treatment Rebecca gets, which so far hasn't required her to either get a restraining order or to contact the police.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New propaganda from Zvan:

I'll take a line from Greta here and say
There is so much wrong packed into this one post, I could write an entire novel-length systematically dismantling everything that’s wrong with it.
I must say, though, this part is especially funny:
So…Franc Hoggle/Victor Ivanoff has a blog or three. Justin Vacula has a blog. Damion has a blog. Russell Blackford and Miranda Celeste Hale, who posted at the old pit, have blogs. There are blogs dedicated specifically to hating Rebecca and friends. Ed Clint built a fake blog network to “disagree” and “dissent”. Then he helped create (at our suggestion) a whole new blog network that seems to exist largely as a forum to talk about how much the bloggers dissent from FtB and Skepchick. A bunch of the other people who posted at the pit have blogs and Twitter handles and podcasts and pseudonyms to make themselves look like multitudes. They don’t need the pit for that. I pointed that out two days ago.
It's interesting she would claim that Miranda, Russell, Damion and I have blogs "specifically dedicated to hating Rebecca and friends." First, I don't "hate" them. I don't hate anyone. Just speaking for myself, when I transferred to Skeptic Ink Network, I have largely left posts dealing with the drama OFF the blog and even went to Youtube because I didn't want to have so many posts about the drama. SIN started with a call for contributers to talk about science, skepticism, philosophy, secularism, etc. When I joined, I was quite happy there were so many with a background in philosophy...and there was little talk of the 'drama.' SIN isn't an 'anti-FTB/skepchick' network...although I must say we are a refreshing alternative :)

Once again, the charge that Ed Clint created a fake network is laughable. Stephanie has no evidence whatsoever to suggest this. Additionally, to speculate that one person did this is ridiculous. (didn't a person post here, anyway, about how it was a team of people who made the network?)

I post here because I enjoy the lack of moderation and love the open discussion. People call either other on their shit and there's a great deal of skepticism because of this. Anyone can come here and post (besides maybe Ewood and Oolon, for good reasons). We keep each other honest, generally have a great time while doing so. As you all know, I don't engage in ridicule like some others here do, but I am not one to say what people should do or what is effective. I have my own approach as do others.

Anyway...

Welcome to the Witch of the Week club Damion! :popcorn:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Let me correct something here - I may have misinterpreted Zvan...it might be the case that she's not claiming Russell, Miranda, and I (among others) have blogs decicated to hating Rebecca and friends although it's odd she would name us and then talk about blogs created to hate Rebecca and friends. Damn lack of edit button :naughty: - my mistake.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:New propaganda from Zvan:

I'll take a line from Greta here and say
There is so much wrong packed into this one post, I could write an entire novel-length systematically dismantling everything that’s wrong with it.
I must say, though, this part is especially funny:
So…Franc Hoggle/Victor Ivanoff has a blog or three. Justin Vacula has a blog. Damion has a blog. Russell Blackford and Miranda Celeste Hale, who posted at the old pit, have blogs. There are blogs dedicated specifically to hating Rebecca and friends. Ed Clint built a fake blog network to “disagree” and “dissent”. Then he helped create (at our suggestion) a whole new blog network that seems to exist largely as a forum to talk about how much the bloggers dissent from FtB and Skepchick. A bunch of the other people who posted at the pit have blogs and Twitter handles and podcasts and pseudonyms to make themselves look like multitudes. They don’t need the pit for that. I pointed that out two days ago.
It's interesting she would claim that Miranda, Russell, Damion and I have blogs "specifically dedicated to hating Rebecca and friends." First, I don't "hate" them. I don't hate anyone. Just speaking for myself, when I transferred to Skeptic Ink Network, I have largely left posts dealing with the drama OFF the blog and even went to Youtube because I didn't want to have so many posts about the drama. SIN started with a call for contributers to talk about science, skepticism, philosophy, secularism, etc. When I joined, I was quite happy there were so many with a background in philosophy...and there was little talk of the 'drama.' SIN isn't an 'anti-FTB/skepchick' network...although I must say we are a refreshing alternative :)

Once again, the charge that Ed Clint created a fake network is laughable. Stephanie has no evidence whatsoever to suggest this. Additionally, to speculate that one person did this is ridiculous. (didn't a person post here, anyway, about how it was a team of people who made the network?)

I post here because I enjoy the lack of moderation and love the open discussion. People call either other on their shit and there's a great deal of skepticism because of this. Anyone can come here and post (besides maybe Ewood and Oolon, for good reasons). We keep each other honest, generally have a great time while doing so. As you all know, I don't engage in ridicule like some others here do, but I am not one to say what people should do or what is effective. I have my own approach as do others.

Anyway...

It's a good thing y'all are so reasonable and all. She really seems to appreciate it.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

That's not how it works for SomethingAwful.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ON0CZ8S.jpg

More propaganda/strawmanning from Adam Lee
Justin Vacula says he doesn't see any evidence that atheist women are sexually harassed.
What did I actually say in my twitlonger response? Here's my response to his ridiculous claim:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kucdul
Adam Lee is big on the black boogeyman out to get all the people. Maybe he can protect all the women from those evil criminals out to get them.

Altair

Post by Altair »

cunt wrote:
Altair wrote:
rayshul wrote: If their lives are scarred by this, it's something that they brought on themselves. They are young, but not minors. They are responsible for their actions, and their words. If the articles about their hate "last forever" on the internet, it is nothing but a self-inflicted scar.
If it leads some fucking nutcase to go try and harm them, then what? Let me guess, AVFM is totally not responsible in that scenario.
Before answering, I'd like to point out that the quotes up there are in the wrong order, the quote is mine, not rayshul's. Actually she seems to hold exactly the opposite point of view.

And I don't think AVFM would be responsible. They are linking to publicly available information. These women decided to make those statements from their personal accounts, with their real names. It's not as if someone took a pseudonym and translated it to a name.
They put themselves in the spotlight, personally and online.

And I don't think anyone is responsible for other people's actions. The responsibility lies with the person who committed the violent harmful act, and no one else.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Someone seems to be implying that Rebecca Watson is lying in some way about the recent photoshop she's talking about on her blog?

http://i.imgur.com/dIYbJrY.jpg

http://skepchick.org/2013/02/objectified/

From my Twitter feed:

http://i.imgur.com/6BkDktM.jpg

I don't know much about IP addresses and how they work, but I have found that IP address listed on Rational Wiki under a user named 'damo'

http://i.imgur.com/tgwIkJP.jpg

(link: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/RationalWi ... Archive182)

I don't know what these means, though....and because of my lack of knowledge in this area I am skeptical.

Might it be the case that Watson changed the IP?
Might the IP provided by Watson be from someone who is not Damo?
Something else...?

Sorry for JAQing off here, but this ought to be investigated, I would think. Even though I obviously don't like Rebecca, I'm not just going to assume that she faked this entire ordeal or that she is lying in some way.

Here's some more from the original tweeter:

http://i.imgur.com/ejcMRzW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4PVdEwG.jpg

windy

Post by windy »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote: Obviously if we were all just perfect little paragons of virtue Shermer would be commenting here and could lead us in a chorus of how wrong, how horribly wrong it is for anonymous jackholes to send Beccyboo crude drawings and thus the Baboons' arguments would vanish in a puff of magical straw...obviously.
Right now, Shermer is totes flogging himself and crying over the 'pit, and how mean we all are.
Ooh, kinky. fap fap fap

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

62.75.235.153 isnt the user Damo, its an anon. Apparently, a 15 year old anon.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Laden wrote: Having said that I was very surprised to discover that during the last round of threatening yahooism from the climate science denialists (in response to a critique I made of a blog post written by one of them) a couple of individuals from the slymepit seemed to join forces with the climate science denialist.
Um, what?

Remember there was a bit of a discussion some time back on climate change?

Without actually checking I vaguely recall that some were skeptical about how much of an influence man-made environmental impacts were versus "natural" causes, including the influence of the sun etc. etc.

We all know that Laden is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so it would be easy for someone like him to misconstrue and misrepresent what he read.

However,

I can not be arsed to go back and check quite honestly, to see how much of a basis he has for saying what he did (I currently have other things I want to do with my time). Fact-checking for Laden is, let us face it, never going to be on the top of my list of priority actions.

I would (and have in the past) rather dig up links for Steersman to peruse (never mind he is perfectly capable of looking them up himself the fucker) and this is not a shot at Steersman, or Laden for that matter, but rather a simple fact of life.

But do not let that stop you from doing so yourself.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Altair wrote:
cunt wrote:
Altair wrote:
rayshul wrote: If their lives are scarred by this, it's something that they brought on themselves. They are young, but not minors. They are responsible for their actions, and their words. If the articles about their hate "last forever" on the internet, it is nothing but a self-inflicted scar.
If it leads some fucking nutcase to go try and harm them, then what? Let me guess, AVFM is totally not responsible in that scenario.
Before answering, I'd like to point out that the quotes up there are in the wrong order, the quote is mine, not rayshul's. Actually she seems to hold exactly the opposite point of view.

And I don't think AVFM would be responsible. They are linking to publicly available information. These women decided to make those statements from their personal accounts, with their real names. It's not as if someone took a pseudonym and translated it to a name.
They put themselves in the spotlight, personally and online.

And I don't think anyone is responsible for other people's actions. The responsibility lies with the person who committed the violent harmful act, and no one else.
Yeah, you not Rayshul.

I thought as much. That right there, is why the Mens Rights people won't be listened to no matter how good their arguments are.

some guy

Post by some guy »

justinvacula wrote:Someone seems to be implying that Rebecca Watson is lying in some way about the recent photoshop she's talking about on her blog?

I don't know much about IP addresses and how they work, but I have found that IP address listed on Rational Wiki under a user named 'damo'

http://i.imgur.com/tgwIkJP.jpg

I don't know what these means, though....and because of my lack of knowledge in this area I am skeptical.

Might it be the case that Watson changed the IP?
Might the IP provided by Watson be from someone who is not Damo?
Something else...?
That is not Dano's IP: Dano is a registered user, so his account name appears. A comment from someone who is not a registered user (or a user that doesn't log in) has the IP shown instead of the user name. So whoever posed the question was anon (so his IP was shown) and Dano replied to that (so just his user name appears).

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

The climate thing is when he misrepresented 'Watts up with that?' and put NatGeo, not just SciBlogs, in legal trouble. And climate change denialist or no, Laden did misrepresent Watts.

Nothing to do with us in any way, but climate change deniers were after Laden, and we lol @ Laden, therefore, everyone here is a climate change denier. Or something.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

TheMan wrote:I like reading this forum... I come across thoughts and ideas I wouldn't be exposed to at the footy. Just saying....
And quite probably language that you wouldn't be exposed to at the footy, either.

<faints>

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

justinvacula wrote:Once again, the charge that Ed Clint created a fake network is laughable. Stephanie has no evidence whatsoever to suggest this. Additionally, to speculate that one person did this is ridiculous. (didn't a person post here, anyway, about how it was a team of people who made the network?)
Steffie may be showing the network in a good light. Ed Clint has a reputation for being polite, and got everyone's attention when destroying Rebecca Watson's EP video.

[quote}Anyway...

Welcome to the Witch of the Week club Damion! :popcorn:[/quote]

Does anyone else think that Damion qualifies as a witch of the week? Just curious. We could add it to the list with all of the previous nonsense from the ceasefire, and their attempt to make people concede while admitting their supposed guilt at the same time.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ape+lust wrote:There's that. There's also that your posture when your feet are trying to pitch you forward is ass high, calves taut, and chest up and out.
Fap, fap, splat.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ERV wrote:62.75.235.153 isnt the user Damo, its an anon. Apparently, a 15 year old anon.
With a tragic story...
And before some cock wad tries to speculate why we aren't together anymore, it's because she got shot dead in the streets of Chicago last year at Christmas time for her necklace (which wasn't even real gold) and the lousy $10 USD she had in her pocket. And people wonder why I could give a shit less about other people anymore. 62.75.235.153 (talk) 14:14, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

Altair

Post by Altair »

cunt wrote: Yeah, you not Rayshul.

I thought as much. That right there, is why the Mens Rights people won't be listened to no matter how good their arguments are.
I don't understand clearly why you believe that it would be AVFM's responsibility.

If someone assaulted Michael Shermer because the FC(n) called him a misogynist, would it be their responsibility?
If someone decided to hurt Greg Laden because they read on the pit that he doxxed someone's ex-wife, would it be the pit's responsibility?

At what point does someone become responsible for the harm another person could sustain?

And if you write something using an account that contains both your photo and your name, is it doxxing to show that in another site?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

I don't know, but what pushes my buttons the most is when some asshole says nasty things about my girlfriend. Not just any idiot, but people that actually knew her, mostly the fools at my school. They shit all over someone that was beautiful just because her parents didn't have millions of dollars like they do. Her mother was a science teacher at my school so her tuition was free, and her family lived in a nice suburb, just not a mansion in California or some ritzy high rise condo in New York or London. Most of her friends go to public school. I wish I went to public school. I know for some people it's their mother or their father that triggers the emotions, to me it's her. I can understand why people fight over "your mom" jokes, I just can't understand why people get emotional over insults hurled by total strangers. When I was new to America, it didn't take me long to realize that the word "cunt" brought out emotion and I used it liberally, then I said it to someone I shouldn't have and it changed me, if only for the two years I knew her. She was the polar opposite of me, I'm obnoxious and trollish while she was sweet and kind. She brought out a side of me that wasn't there before. I guess that's why the word doesn't bother me that much. 62.75.235.153 (talk) 15:24, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
Problems!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Fatty Brayton:
So many of you showed your generosity and kindness after my health scare a few weeks ago... I’ve even been sent a box of great BBQ from Texas.
Hey, those of you gave money for Ed's heart problems? Fuck you, he's gonna get sewn up by the docs, then straight back to the Waffle House, bitches.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

It didn't take Eggman long to eat greasy stuff after his surgery a month ago.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Jesus fucking christ Altair there are scales of responsibility and it can belong to more than one person or group at a time. Just because the person wielding the weapon bears ultimate responsibility doesn't mean that AVFM wouldn't be culpable.

In case you hadn't noticed the actual truth of how much responsibility something like AVFM would bear isn't easily quantifiable. Something happens to those students and people would blame AVFM, and tough shit.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Angry_Drunk wrote:You know, this is something that I've wondered about for a while now. Who the fuck, other than the Atheist/Skeptics has "blog networks"? What the fuck does being a part of a "network" gain you other than a fancy landing page? In the tech blogging world we manage to do just fine running our own sites. What the hell is the draw?
I'm going to guess that it's about

1. Having their own tree-house, where they are lords and get to choose which of the kids that are cool enough get to come in and play with them.

2. Illusions of grandeur. PZ and Ed drooling after imagining a successful FTB, becoming "the next big thing" after managing to attract the greatest of the B-list and maybe even some A-list A/S celebrities under one roof, a roof where PZ and Ed were lords. If they were really successful, they might even have fantasied about being able to launch a new wave of the A/S movement with FTB as the base, with them as self-appointed leaders...

3. Control, not only about who get to be in the clubhouse, but about ads, policies, rules, and so on. Being subject to someone else's rules, life Science Blogs or WordPress, means that they could, if they broke the rules, say by saying shit that's borderline libel, have been thrown off the network or reprimanded. I have the firm impression that PZ really REALLY hates having to play by anyone else's rules but his own, and his bloated ego would simply not be able to handle any reprimand after he or his commentators broke any rules.

It's just something they've had to have been aware of, considering that they themselves tried to make Abbie shut up with the same kind of methods.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
ERV wrote:62.75.235.153 isnt the user Damo, its an anon. Apparently, a 15 year old anon.
With a tragic story...
And before some cock wad tries to speculate why we aren't together anymore, it's because she got shot dead in the streets of Chicago last year at Christmas time for her necklace (which wasn't even real gold) and the lousy $10 USD she had in her pocket. And people wonder why I could give a shit less about other people anymore. 62.75.235.153 (talk) 14:14, 10 December 2012 (UTC)
Someone tweeted me this with what seems to be more information on that IP:

http://ip.robtex.com/62.75.235.153.html

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

ERV wrote:The climate thing is when he misrepresented 'Watts up with that?' and put NatGeo, not just SciBlogs, in legal trouble. And climate change denialist or no, Laden did misrepresent Watts.

Nothing to do with us in any way, but climate change deniers were after Laden, and we lol @ Laden, therefore, everyone here is a climate change denier. Or something.
Lol, again? WUWT scared the pants off Laden last year when they sicced their lawyers on him. Suddenly, his chest-thumping bluster imploded and he was all like, we're all rational adults here and believe in civil exchange of ideas, and in that spirit I'm going to offer WUWT space to post an essay on my site, blah, blah.... It was too funny then and it looks it's going to get too funny one more time.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

justinvacula wrote:Someone seems to be implying that Rebecca Watson is lying in some way about the recent photoshop she's talking about on her blog?

The sender might also be alerting rebecca of what's there. Nothing to suggest the sender actually made the drawing (I haven't looked at it yet)

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

jimthepleb wrote:
Michael J wrote: I wonder how much income they are making. I think that they expected to make decent money out of the site and if you take Ed at his word it is barely covering costs. I find that hard to believe. I think that he is disappointed that he isn't making a living out of the site but it sounds bad if he says that he hasn't made enough for the large format TV he has been looking at.
I think the big problem is that the site visits aren't growing which is due to all of the "haters" and not due to the lame bloggers.
Which is the answer for anyone who was wondering how we know we are 'winning'

I'm trying to spend a bit more time actually "doing" things myself, actually responding to their antics for public consumption, and I really really appreciate it when people do the freezepage thing, or clip relevant bits to post here instead of linking. I am all for combating their lies and idiocy, but I will only give them a click if I'm actually going to leave a comment.

When I do visit FTB or Skepchick, I am generally surprised at how little their traffic has grown. Skepchick still has mostly the same hysterical shitheads commenting for the last two years, rarely more than an hundred comments. At pharyngula, so many have been chased away that the comment threads are rarely as big as they used to be regularly, say, before about two years ago. The rest of them are nowhere even close to pharyngula or skepchick in numbers.

Starve the fuckers. I won't allow my rejection of their bullshit to be turned to their advantage if I can help it. When one person freezes their stuff for consumption here, best of both worlds. Those who want to comment on their territory for the audience are only giving them one click each, not dozens or hundreds. No biggie.

Steersman

Re: "Deep Rifts!"

Post by Steersman »

FWIW since Stephanie Zvan is may not get around to letting this one out of moderation. Although I will give her credit for having let a previous one out (#47). In any case:
Steersman wrote:Stephanie Zvan said (#54):
Steersman wrote:Methinks you’re engaging in some egregious “four legs good; two legs bad” in making it a precondition that anyone to be involved in healing those “deep rifts” has to “leave the slime pit behind”.

Methinks you don’t know what that phrase means or refers to. If you did, you might be a bit more embarrassed by your own behavior around FtB lately.
Of course I know what the term refers to – Orwell’s Animal Farm – and I used the term advisedly. And what are you suggesting – that I should be embarrassed that I’m supposedly acting like some sexist pig? My intent – though not stated or suggested – was to allude to what I expect both Orwell in his book and Shermer in his comments in the December issue of eSkeptic were getting at – i.e., the rather universal tendency for people to allow their allegiances to groups – tribalism – to get the better of their critical faculties. Which in this case manifests itself as stereotyping and the denial of individuality. And while I will readily concede that the Slymepit has some deficiencies in that area, I figure they don’t hold a candle to FTB in comparison. However I think the Pit has the saving grace – and it is not an inconsiderable one, either – of being almost an entirely open forum which is, I think, a very important prophylactic against group-think. And that is, I think, the very great failing, if not a fatal one, of both Atheism-Plus and FTB itself.

As a for instance, I would refer you to PZ’s December effort – commendable in itself but finally an outright abortion – to do an experiment, to ask “why do you despise feminism?” And in that thread a Pitter posting in Pharyngula as skeptixx had the temerity to take PZ at his word and to post a number of quite reasonable comments and questions. PZ’s response? This (#400) charming bit of stereotyping and nastiness:
Skeptixx: Slymepitters are never welcome here — your gang crosses the line from sexism into outright misogyny, and I don’t think that group’s fondness for inventing ‘creative’ versions of people’s names using crude slang for genitals counts as rational discussion. Banned with extreme prejudice.
Considering that that was without absolutely any effort on his part to address skeptixx’s questions and comments, I would say that eminently qualifies as tarring the whole group with the same brush – in a word or two, manifesting Orwell’s aphorism: “four legs good; two legs bad”. And I expect I could come up with a further dozen or more equally egregious examples without half breathing hard – though not without some time. And that’s not including another half-dozen just in this thread.
Repetition of a simple argument doesn’t make it true.
Hallelujah, we agree on something. However, if you’re referring to my frequent claim that the charge of “sexist comment” against Michael Shermer’s “[atheism], it’s more of a guy thing” is egregiously bogus if not a libel and a defamation then I expect that since there has been absolutely no effort to refute it, much less an actual proof against it, that would tend to cause most people – skeptics, at least – to think that there might be some truth to that claim.
I, on the other hand, have gone to the work to explain what it is about the pit that makes it an enemy to any “healing” and why I think it shouldn’t be a big thing to leave it behind.
And they used to “explain” illnessness as “bad humours” and prescribe bloodletting as a cure. As mentioned, your effort to paint the Pit as a forum whose “entire point” is “to contain vitriol against Rebecca Watson, FtB, and anyone who acts as though any of us have a point” qualifies as another case of Orwell’s aphorism at best, and egregious demagoguery at worst. If you went over there to do more than to just cherry-pick posts to confirm your biases then you might have seen that charge doesn’t hold any water whatsoever. As mentioned, I and more than a few others have been willing to concede that some here have had some good points. However, that a central theme here seems to be, as suggested by Ophelia Benson’s Secular Humanism article last August, the “intersection of skepticism, atheism, and feminism” – which is deemed to be decidedly problematic by many, and not just in the Pit – tends to make FTB and AtheismPlus a frequent topic of discussion.

As for “a big thing to leave behind”, that qualifies as rather much of a joke. Seems to me that a not inconsiderable percentage of those posting and lurking in the Pit – myself included – do so because they’ve been banned, dungeonated, or put in eternal moderation or limbo, for questioning the “conventional wisdom” in this rather benighted neck of the woods. And that it has, thereby, become a significant source of information as well as a venue for the free and open discussion of those issues and ideas. Pray tell, unless you’re all prepared to address the many complaints and issues that led to that state of affairs, what do you think the chances are that anyone is likely to agree to those terms of yours? Which, I might add, looks rather much like a poisoned chalice.
No. I expect that anyone who actually wants to find common cause with me will understand what a toxic environment the pit is and won’t have any trouble leaving it behind.
Again, that really only qualifies as your opinion which, as mentioned and detailed, really doesn’t seem to hold all that much water. That some of the “humour” there is decidedly rude and crude if not rather nasty, I will readily concede. However, I think more than a small amount of it is clever, cogent and incisive. And since more than a few there, myself included, have deprecated the former, the benefits of the latter, as well as those of the other aforementioned attributes, tends to outweigh the former.
Making up oaths and rituals so you have something to get all frowny about strongly suggests you understand that what I ask isn’t that much in itself.
What you refer to as my “oaths and rituals” was not something intended “to get all frowny about”, but to be the vehicle for some sarcasm to illustrate what I think are some central issues motivating this widening “rift”. And issues – gender feminism and evolutionary psychology – which very few here are actually prepared to address. It would be rather amusing if it weren’t so depressing to see the rather willful Panglossian blindness of many here to the many flaws within the edifice “feminism”. I expect very few – at least outside various religious backwaters – have much dispute with the idea of equal civil rights for men and women, although many have created some impressive strawmen that suggest otherwise. But non-trivial problems arise when the devil shows itself in the details of various feminist ideologies encompassing such concepts as the infamous “patriarchy”, and gender as a social construct, as well as the consequential social policies. Some of which have some rather “virulent” manifestations.
One more time: These people want my time and attention. They leave comments that they demand be posted here. They send me mentions on Twitter after I tell them conversations are over.
Not having been party to those conversations or seen any discussion of them, I can’t very well say much about the intent, goals, or objectives they might have in mind. Although, considering that, as mentioned, feminism seems to be at the heart of the matter, one might suggest “listening to the women” might be part of their motivations. However, the fact of the matter is, I think, that neither you nor any of the other women in FTB know of or speak for all of the strands in feminism, some of which are substantially more problematic than you and they are apparently willing to consider.

Altair

Post by Altair »

cunt wrote:Jesus fucking christ Altair there are scales of responsibility and it can belong to more than one person or group at a time. Just because the person wielding the weapon bears ultimate responsibility doesn't mean that AVFM wouldn't be culpable.

In case you hadn't noticed the actual truth of how much responsibility something like AVFM would bear isn't easily quantifiable. Something happens to those students and people would blame AVFM, and tough shit.
I'm not asking for you or someone else to say "well, the gunman is 80% responsible, AVFM is 20% responsible". My question is why should they be considered responsible.

Why would someone who posted what another person said and did, with no intention of concealing their identity, be responsible for someone else's actions.

To my eyes, what they did is not different from someone screencapping a tweet or posting a quote. I don't see any difference between what AVFM did and what FTB is doing by posting quotes made by Shermer and calling them sexists, or what the pit does by posting tweets by someone. The potential of someone harming the other person exists in all 3 situations, but I don't think it would be anyone's fault but the weapon wielder's.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Ignoring the nonsense seems to be a bad idea -- especially because of the size of the platforms (largely because of PZ, although his numbers and influence is dwindling) -- because it would go by unchecked. Besides, they continue to 'burn more bridges' as the days pass with the next target. Hopefully organizers of conferences will finally stop inviting the charlatans and propagandists to speak.

decius

Post by decius »

justinvacula wrote:

I did. Practically it tells you that it's a mail server and a number of other sites. No useful information can be retrieved.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Pitchguest wrote:
Show me you're nuts.
Eucli? Is that you?

Altair

Post by Altair »

TheMan wrote:

The sender might also be alerting rebecca of what's there. Nothing to suggest the sender actually made the drawing (I haven't looked at it yet)
The email seems to be a disposable address from "10 minute mail", which makes me think that they're not one of Rebecca's readers or supporters trying to alert her. It sounds like they wanted to make sure she saw the drawing, which she might not since it was posted in some site she might not look at.

Whether John Smith is the creator or the drawing or not, there's not enough info to say.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Meanwhile, this "anti-woman leader" (a term Rebecca gracefully designated for me) was pictured in FFRF's Freethought Today:

http://i.imgur.com/WbfsNMJ.jpg

Memories:

http://golackawanna.com/stories/Rally-f ... are,161563

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2012 ... ranton-pa/

Gee, you might as well call me a WRA :p

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

welch wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
welch wrote: 1) Stop telling grown adults how to behave. At best it's mildly condescending. Do your thing your way, and if people dig it, great.
You see what you just did there, telling him how to behave? It's especially funny because he just said that all he wants to do is try to be persuasive, and you responded by giving orders.

Your argument seems to be something like “I don't like your tone, so shut up.” Expect a call from Brayton soon, they need more bloggers over there.
Oh, and on the rest...

I'd blog there in a fucking heartbeat. Can you IMAGINE the chaos?
Touché!

I read your previous post, and I don't think we actually disagree as much as I'd thought, but it seems to me that you are underestimating the number of freethinkers and skeptics who've never dabbled in the online drama at all. Whenever I hang out with atheists in real life (2-3 times a week) I find that only 10% of them are even vaguely aware of the Deep Rifts, and that gives me some hope that well-constructed arguments and critiques will carry the day. The ratio of cogent arguments to personal attacks here in the Pit is certainly high enough to warrant sticking around, but it seems obvious that we'll persuade far more of the brand-new skeptics and even some of the new freethinkers if we were to cease the pointless personal attacks altogether. They might be good for a laugh, but they aren't good for the cause.

And maybe that's the real problem. I don't see the SlymePit as merely a pub and a hangout, I see it as a rare bastion of genuine freethought. Other than possibly the JREF forums, this is the only place I know about where skeptics can apply the tools of skepticism to the various debatable propositions that have been discussed earlier. I believe profoundly in the value skepticism, and I believe it must be applied even to the well-intentioned keyboard warriors for social justice.

Bottom line: Online n00b wanders in to the SlymePit and finds mostly personal attacks and vitriol, they are going to wander right back to the SJW, with their biases confirmed. If instead they find mostly cogent arguments (however couched in humor and parody) against the cult of affirmative victimhood, they might well be liberated from several harmful presuppositions. What is better in life than to free minds?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

justinvacula wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
With a tragic story...

You just can't fucking quit doxxing people can you? :roll:

cunt

Post by cunt »

@Altair

First of all, doesn't matter if they actually are responsible, it's whether they're seen to be responsible. If I was attempting to grow an activist movement concerned with human rights i'd probably want to avoid all that.

That aside. I'd consider them responsible in this hypothetical because they've created hate figures out of a few 20 something students in their articles and stuffed their names, faces and general locations on a wiki which they know is going to be viewed by thousands of people. Some of which they plainly know have a major chips on their shoulders.

Oh, just like the pit? No, we're quoting things that have been said to make fun or discuss.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:

The one thing I liked about ScienceBlogs was the last 24hours page and the editors page. That's what I miss now. I don't have time to visit all of the blogs, it would be nice to have a collator to do some of that for me. PZ before he went insane used to be good for that. The FTB homepage is terrible and I'm sorry to say that Skeptic Ink is the same. It would nice to have at least a last 24 hours page that contains the first paragraph of each recent post.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

masakari2012 wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Once again, the charge that Ed Clint created a fake network is laughable. Stephanie has no evidence whatsoever to suggest this. Additionally, to speculate that one person did this is ridiculous. (didn't a person post here, anyway, about how it was a team of people who made the network?)
Steffie may be showing the network in a good light. Ed Clint has a reputation for being polite, and got everyone's attention when destroying Rebecca Watson's EP video.

[quote}Anyway...

Does anyone else think that Damion qualifies as a witch of the week? Just curious. We could add it to the list with all of the previous nonsense from the ceasefire, and their attempt to make people concede while admitting their supposed guilt at the same time.[/quote]

FWIW, I don't think I'm there yet. Going to go toss a porcupine into the Horde in hopes of a promotion.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

decius wrote:
nippletwister wrote:
Here's what I don't get. These people were not anonymous commenters online, saying things they might not say in real life. These were very public protesters. They've done similar things before. They do it on film. They do it in front of crowds and police. Some even blockaded the door, breaking the law in front of police as a form of public and somewhat intimidating protest. One had been arrested for similar actions previously, IIRC.

They are public protesters making absolutely no attempt to stay anonymous. Their information was already completely public and they have made no attempts to hide or keep anything private.

How is naming them on a website "doxxing" in any way, shape, or form? Especially on a website devoted to the cause the protesters were trying to suppress...Is everyone supposed to pretend they don't exist? If I start picketing one of my local churches, I'll end up being "doxxed" from here to the moon within a week. If the WBC shows up in my town, we'll all know who they are and where they're from. if you're already public, you're already public, and cannot be "doxxed", unless the information provides previously hidden details like family members or workplaces(and even workplace is debatable, it's already public for the most part.)
When you go out in the streets it isn't the same as carrying a placard with your personal data. If you meet someone who recognises you, it is not normal for them to let everyone else to know who you are. Even the police must have a valid reason to positively identify you and such information is confidential, unless you go on to commit a felony.
In fact, being anonymous in public is the norm, not the exception. Unless you live in an inbred village.
Uh, not making a loud, intentionally public scene is the norm as well. Different situations entirely. Public speech and public actors in such speech are not private, period.

I notice you didn't even try to address the situation that occurred, or my examples. Yes, even the police have to have a reason to identify you...of course, that is a restraint on the power of government, not anyone else, and so pretty irrelevant anyway. In America at least, and I think Canada has similar rules, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public. You can be photographed and those photos can be sold or published for any reason. If you are exercising free public speech in a public forum, people can listen to you, photograph you, video you, and remember and publicize your words if they like. You don't even have to be breaking any law. TV shows use disclaimers, but that is to avoid a lawsuit when people end up looking stupid on tape, not prosecution.

The situation makes a huge difference. If you walk down the street causing a disturbance, protesting, blocking entrances, shouting at strangers, even if the police decide to ignore you, you have absolutely fucking zero expectation of privacy of any kind. It is perfectly legal to identify you if that information is already public or common knowledge. If the behavior is harassing, it is in the interest of your victims to know about you. No different than local businesses refusing to serve alcohol to a known drunk with a reputation for violence. I admit that the internet adds a bit of murkiness to the situation, and personal ethics may well vary from the law.

Seriously, your ideas of privacy in public are a bit fucked. Nobody is required to pretend they are blind, deaf, and unable to read police reports because of your lame and unworkable ideas about privacy. Are you sure you're not the one in the inbred village there, Jeenyus?

Hide yo' kids, hide yo wife, they rapin' ever-body up in here! Remember him, Antoine Dodson? By your standards, I just "doxxed" him! No privacy. Just ask him if you don't believe me!