Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
Pitchguest

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by Pitchguest »

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is just one of those movies that you knew the movie audience at the time wouldn't get and were doomed to fail (box office bust), but damn it all, entertaining as all hell. Highly recommend.

Anyway, if anyone wants to jump in on this thread where I try to keep two people from drowning me in their idiocy (oolon level), feel free.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... nt-page-3/

(link goes to FTB, proceed with caution.)

Notung

Post by Notung »

somedumbguy wrote:A zillion years ago, on usenet, I made fun of a guy that had about a zillion typos in his posts.

Anyway, he let me know not only of some extreme disabilities, but also that English wasn't his native language. And assuming all that was true, it really shut me up, and I learned, how wonderful the net was in enabling this sort of communication from so many people, what an asshat I was, the extremes people will go through in order to communicate with others, and that the pleasure of correctly spelled forum posts was probably dead.
In an old job some years ago, I once saw a piece of writing with lots of grammatical mistakes. I was laughing about it with a colleague when another of my colleagues, a Ghanaian, said "English isn't my first language you know". In spite of the fact that I didn't know it was him, I still felt awful - but also quite silly in comparison, since I couldn't write much in any other language.

I'm about to start a job in a Chinese-speaking country, so if anyone laughs at my pitiful attempts at Chinese I can't really complain!

DownThunder

Re: The PZMyers of American Protestantism?

Post by DownThunder »

astrokid.nj wrote:[youtube]ZkaeAkJO0w8[/youtube]
Fun fact. This guy has a degree in communications too.

Im beginning to be a little wary of communications graduates.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I've always very genrous abuot other peopel's mispels and gramars.

I'ma giver.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

[youtube]9cI5GxM4f50[/youtube]

Bit about the communications degree taken from here. Also:
...my degree's in communication, Ive got two home theatre systems, Ive got three tevos....
yada yada...the meek shall inherit the earth....CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE unholy plebs.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

What grates me about the latest from Lousy Canuck (for those who need reminding, it's this [link to FTB]) is that it's supposed to piss off MRA's. Is that why he chose it?

It can be used for the opposite purpose if needs be, but it would be very childish. If that's really why he downloaded it, so he could piss off MRA's (or rather, he thinks he can piss off MRA's) then I'd argue it's not for the right purpose. He might disagree, but then again I haven't ever been in the position where I thought reversing the pronouns of genders would seem to be a brilliant move.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Jenny Titwobble has no fucking idea what 'privilege' means, despite originating that despicable den of self-pity and outsider-abuse, A+Theism. She receives ans email which is clearly from a non-native English speaker. Does Tits McGoo...
a) Delete immediately as religious spam?
b) Reply privately to the sender, in siple English, engaging them thoughtfully?
c) Just post the fucking email whole and invite her maggotbrained followers to laugh at people who can't write English particularly well?

Take a fucking guess, Einstein...

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... t-email-2/
After a quick skim of the comments I can't find a single person calling her out on it.
Social Justice in action! Taking swipes at fucking foreigners and their Ubba-Dubba language.

It's just so goddamn despicable behaviour from Jenny we are seeing here and hypocritical and despicable behaviour from her sheeple in the comment section. You Many native English- speakers have a bit of a problem with arrogance in regards to language. Only about 420 million people have English as their native tongue (no, I am not including India, you asshat), i.e. the remaining 6,58 billion aren't native English speakers. Yet, most of us (in the West at least) communicate in English on international fora. So the minority, i.e. the English-speakers, should be grateful we bother. And every time I am caught making a grammatical error from an Englishperson, I simply answer: "How much Norwegian do you speak? None, you say? Well fuck you very much then.".

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Pitchguest wrote:What grates me about the latest from Lousy Canuck (for those who need reminding, it's this [link to FTB]) is that it's supposed to piss off MRA's. Is that why he chose it?

It can be used for the opposite purpose if needs be, but it would be very childish. If that's really why he downloaded it, so he could piss off MRA's (or rather, he thinks he can piss off MRA's) then I'd argue it's not for the right purpose. He might disagree, but then again I haven't ever been in the position where I thought reversing the pronouns of genders would seem to be a brilliant move.
Really? I think the opposite. I'd like to encourage the thimbledick and all zir buds to use hir, ze, zem, zospukes and cis, trans, and womyn in all zirs posts.

It's a putz-marker, if he gots it, I encourage him to flaunt it. The more these assholes wall themselves off from reality, the better.

Sometimes when you look into the abyss, you can just larf your ass off when you realize the abyss has its head up its ass.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Oh, and I noticed something interesting: Greta Christina is noticing a fellow blogger is in need of aid, but sadly ... not whom you'd expect.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... as-laptop/

That avicenna must really need a new laptop!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oneiros666 wrote:
[spoiler]
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Jenny Titwobble has no fucking idea what 'privilege' means, despite originating that despicable den of self-pity and outsider-abuse, A+Theism. She receives ans email which is clearly from a non-native English speaker. Does Tits McGoo...
a) Delete immediately as religious spam?
b) Reply privately to the sender, in siple English, engaging them thoughtfully?
c) Just post the fucking email whole and invite her maggotbrained followers to laugh at people who can't write English particularly well?

Take a fucking guess, Einstein...

After a quick skim of the comments I can't find a single person calling her out on it.
Social Justice in action! Taking swipes at fucking foreigners and their Ubba-Dubba language.
[/spoiler]

It's just so goddamn despicable behaviour from Jenny we are seeing here and hypocritical and despicable behaviour from her sheeple in the comment section. You Many native English- speakers have a bit of a problem with arrogance in regards to language. Only about 420 million people have English as their native tongue (no, I am not including India, you asshat), i.e. the remaining 6,58 billion aren't native English speakers. Yet, most of us (in the West at least) communicate in English on international fora. So the minority, i.e. the English-speakers, should be grateful we bother. And every time I am caught making a grammatical error from an Englishperson, I simply answer: "How much Norwegian do you speak? None, you say? Well fuck you very much then.".
Not a quote of mine, just to clarify.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

Pitchguest wrote:Oh, and I noticed something interesting: Greta Christina is noticing a fellow blogger is in need of aid, but sadly ... not whom you'd expect.

Goddamnit. Have these people no fucking shame? They are begging for money, ffs. And no, Greta, "blogging" is not a job. It's a fucking hobby. If you were a professional writer who had your shit published and people actually were interested in buying your shitty writing; then yeah, congrats, you are a writer. But writing about bullshit on a personal online fucking diary (i.e. blog) is not a job. If people wish to throw money at you, much like you throw money at street musicians, fine. But don't call putting a jar with "donations plz" in front of your digital streetcorner a "job". And no matter what shit you say; it is fucking shameful to beg for money.

You need a new laptop? Guess what, so do lots of people. But instead of whining about it online and begging for money; adults actually do something about it. Like getting a motherfucking job.

Fuck you, Greta. And fuck you "million gods" person. Get a goddamn job.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

SEE. This is exactly what OPHELIA intended to happen.

1. She posts about acid-attacks.
2. Vacula posts on Facebook to say stop making things about you.
3. Conlon jokes on twitter and then deletes and apologise.
4. THEN (or possibly at the same time as the apology) she posts about Vacula's FB post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424977

And HJHornbeck (which I've had the fun of debating at my blog, except s/h/it didn't really read what I said) is saying "Why is Vacula saying Ophelia's making it about her? This whole thing started because of a tweet about her!"

GET A SENSE OF TIME, YOU FUCKING MORONS. You are NOT skeptics.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Pitchguest wrote:Oh, and I noticed something interesting: Greta Christina is noticing a fellow blogger is in need of aid, but sadly ... not whom you'd expect.

No, actually... that's pretty much exactly what I'd expect.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Michael K Gray wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Open it too far, and your brains fall out.
Take my wife!

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

somedumbguy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:What grates me about the latest from Lousy Canuck (for those who need reminding, it's this [link to FTB]) is that it's supposed to piss off MRA's. Is that why he chose it?

Really? I think the opposite. I'd like to encourage the thimbledick and all zir buds to use hir, ze, zem, zospukes and cis, trans, and womyn in all zirs posts.

It's a putz-marker, if he gots it, I encourage him to flaunt it. The more these assholes wall themselves off from reality, the better.

Sometimes when you look into the abyss, you can just larf your ass off when you realize the abyss has its head up its ass.
Check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womyn

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Womyn

So the article on Womyn, which I was reading to find out how long some Feminists have been trying, and failing, and alienating the planet with the spelling Womyn, turns out to be a very brief useless article.

Then look at the talk page for it.

This is why I want Thimbledick and every FfTB blogger to start using xir for everything.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[youtube]k3MkK0rpxk0[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

somedumbguy:

Errr... wow. All I can say to that is, I have a lot more respect for the editors at Wikipedia.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

sacha wrote:
Trophy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I will just leave this one here:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/misandry/th ... se-to-see/
Sure, men get raped too. But anyone who thinks the following is a fucking moron:
It is astonishing how much our culture seeks to deny any possibility that a woman may rape with her vagina. But of course, as survivor Typhonblue has so thoroughly documented, not only can they do so, but they do so with near as much frequency as men do with their penises.
"fucking moron", eh?
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... lit#p37835
Let me highlight for you the fucking moronic part:
"Typhonblue has so thoroughly documented, not only can they do so, but they do so with near as much frequency as men do with their penises."

Right. Because there are armies of women running around in Africa raping shit of men and spreading HIV. Right. It is possible in the "night club" lifestyle women's rapes can be a noticable fraction of rapes committed by men but on a grand scale, men raped by women is a non-issue and a non-problem.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Pitchguest wrote:somedumbguy:

Errr... wow. All I can say to that is, I have a lot more respect for the editors at Wikipedia.
Hmm. You and I get different lessons from that then. Of course, I am drunk...

I look at how useless the article page is and conclude the whole thing is a typical wiki whitewash. Not giving any of the details.

It's one reason I would like to see wiki pages contain "heat maps" indicating where in an article and how often changes have been made. Indicating wiki warring.

And then also I'd like to see a time slider so that I can easily see how the page has morphed over time.

What we see is just the most recent victory in any page's war. What we don't see is often more interesting.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Trophy wrote:
Let me highlight for you the fucking moronic part:
"Typhonblue has so thoroughly documented, not only can they do so, but they do so with near as much frequency as men do with their penises."

Right. Because there are armies of women running around in Africa raping shit of men and spreading HIV. Right. It is possible in the "night club" lifestyle women's rapes can be a noticable fraction of rapes committed by men but on a grand scale, men raped by women is a non-issue and a non-problem.
I was going to agree with you, but then I saw this:
but on a grand scale, men raped by women is a non-issue and a non-problem
Did I misread you? Because my then 13 years old alter-ego wishes to differ.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Is people asking deliberately dumb questions supposed to be some subtle debate technique or something?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Oneiros666 wrote: Goddamnit. Have these people no fucking shame? They are begging for money, ffs. And no, Greta, "blogging" is not a job. It's a fucking hobby. If you were a professional writer who had your shit published and people actually were interested in buying your shitty writing; then yeah, congrats, you are a writer. But writing about bullshit on a personal online fucking diary (i.e. blog) is not a job. If people wish to throw money at you, much like you throw money at street musicians, fine. But don't call putting a jar with "donations plz" in front of your digital streetcorner a "job". And no matter what shit you say; it is fucking shameful to beg for money.

You need a new laptop? Guess what, so do lots of people. But instead of whining about it online and begging for money; adults actually do something about it. Like getting a motherfucking job.

Ophelia was blithering on about the same thing earlier this week: "blogging is the work that I do" or some such utter crap. It is not work, it is not a job, any more than tweeting and facebooking and playing video games are jobs. Spend your day on those activities and you can get fired from many real jobs. Blogging at FtB cannot possibly bring in the income necessary to reside in a US city where the cost of living is high, and I can't imagine that the income from the few books that Ophelia and Greta have published would add much to the blogging proceeds.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Pitchguest wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Here it is for the FfTBophobics:

http://www.freezepage.com/1358999299QHHEXOULQJ
Again, if thats the only thing I have to blog about, its time to shut down the blog.

Why does she think anyone cares?
Well what do you expect? A+ former moderator, maiforpeace, told a guy to piss off from the forum until he learned English properly because he didn't toe the party line (despite his English being fine, and if I recall even apologised for any mistakes as he was ESL). It's no surprise that the progenitor of that cesspool wouldn't know any better.
Not to mention Treebanger posting bilingual responses to an ESL member in patronising Google translate French.

I've got emails like the one that Mcreight posted, I don't stick them online for people to laugh at because I know what it's like to be a minority language speaker somewhere, and I know it would bother me if somebody else did it to me. I just read them out at parties instead.

This is all part of the "Internet = USA" idea. Don't want to learn the language? Then get the fuck out!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Metalogic42 wrote:
decius wrote:Twatson's reply to Shermer's article is a fucking hoot.

Some highlights. She cherrypicks a few irrelevant figures, including the long-dead and constantly wrong Stephen Gould (NOMA, Punctuated Equilibrium, Skull Size, to name but three of his biggest blunders) and "biologist PZ Myers" to once again cast doubts over evo psych. Go and read the blog, it's incredible.
A few comments on that article take a jab at libertarianism (Setar even shows up!). I'm not much into politics; can anyone explain why SJWs have such a hate-on for libertarianism?
Libertarians are usually very socially liberal, so I guess it's the narcissism of small differences?

Either that or because most SJWs are Marxist/Socialist?

I think it's mostly Penn Jillette's fault actually. He is everything they hate.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Did I misread you? Because my then 13 years old alter-ego wishes to differ.
Sure. We can disagree. I still maintain that on the grand scheme of things, it is a very small issue.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Here it is for the FfTBophobics:

http://www.freezepage.com/1358999299QHHEXOULQJ
Again, if thats the only thing I have to blog about, its time to shut down the blog.

Why does she think anyone cares?
Well what do you expect? A+ former moderator, maiforpeace, told a guy to piss off from the forum until he learned English properly because he didn't toe the party line (despite his English being fine, and if I recall even apologised for any mistakes as he was ESL). It's no surprise that the progenitor of that cesspool wouldn't know any better.
Not to mention Treebanger posting bilingual responses to an ESL member in patronising Google translate French.

I've got emails like the one that Mcreight posted, I don't stick them online for people to laugh at because I know what it's like to be a minority language speaker somewhere, and I know it would bother me if somebody else did it to me. I just read them out at parties instead.

This is all part of the "Internet = USA" idea. Don't want to learn the language? Then get the fuck out!
Well, the Internet may have grown out of ARPANET (along with other networks in other nations) - but the World Wide Web on which their forum runs was invented at CERN, in Geneva. So by that logic, they ought to be speaking French!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

BarnOwl wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote: Goddamnit. Have these people no fucking shame? They are begging for money, ffs. And no, Greta, "blogging" is not a job. It's a fucking hobby. If you were a professional writer who had your shit published and people actually were interested in buying your shitty writing; then yeah, congrats, you are a writer. But writing about bullshit on a personal online fucking diary (i.e. blog) is not a job. If people wish to throw money at you, much like you throw money at street musicians, fine. But don't call putting a jar with "donations plz" in front of your digital streetcorner a "job". And no matter what shit you say; it is fucking shameful to beg for money.

Ophelia was blithering on about the same thing earlier this week: "blogging is the work that I do" or some such utter crap. It is not work, it is not a job, any more than tweeting and facebooking and playing video games are jobs. Spend your day on those activities and you can get fired from many real jobs. Blogging at FtB cannot possibly bring in the income necessary to reside in a US city where the cost of living is high, and I can't imagine that the income from the few books that Ophelia and Greta have published would add much to the blogging proceeds.
In which case she's shit at her job unless (ctrl)+V and (ctrl)+C with a sentence between constitutes 'writing.'
At what point does a writer's input into a blog become so small compared to the text it is commenting on that 'fair use' is no longer applicable? Some of OB's blogs could be send in a single tweet if you took out the original article.
Could i just nick whole passages from newspaper articles and just throw in a few 'i agree', '^^^this 1000x this' or 'what a horrid thing to say's' in and call myself a pro-blogger?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ceepolk wrote:so you didn't look familiar, so I checked out your user profile.

I'm not really inclined to take anything you say as offered in good faith, after reviewing your previous activity on this site and from reviewing moderator activity logs and running records and discovering your multiple reports that were attempts to claim that people pointiong out fallacious arguments were "tone policing," and your subsequent reaction to being told to stop doing that...

you know what? there's probably no reason to even wait for a response out of you. you're pretty much only in possession of a functioning account because you wandered off for 14 weeks. So you'd probably better make it good.

I'll be back in an hour to see how you did.
YAY! Mod bullying!

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

AbsurdWalls wrote: Libertarians are usually very socially liberal, so I guess it's the narcissism of small differences?

Penn Jillette is not, to be fair, a great skeptic. One episode of "Bullshit!" was basically shilling for the tobacco lobby by claiming that passive smoking did not exist. Another went into full on climate change denial, and had a go at climate scientists based on some bad science reporting in Time magazine.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Pitchguest wrote:
d4m10n wrote:I'm sorry if this was posted earlier and I missed it:
I suppose Myers will now take this into account and change his st—

pfft

Hahahaha, I couldn't finish that train of thought with a straight face. But learning about Natalie's situation more and more, I kind of feel sorry for her. If I had a bit of money, I'd scrounge up some just so she won't have to live on the street.

(Even though I realise she's probably more privileged than most about to be homeless people or homeless people, and many are probably worse off than her, but still. I'm too nice.)
If she were living in Toronto (and IF she's not using again because I'd worry about theft), I'd offer her a place to crash until she could find herself a room to rent somewhere, even though we are on opposite sides of the internet arguments. Why aren't her friends or acquaintances in the Vancouver area offering that? Do they ALL live in their parent's basements/garages? Do none of them have their own place with a couch or even floor space which would be better than sleeping outdoors?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Metalogic42 wrote:
decius wrote:Twatson's reply to Shermer's article is a fucking hoot.

Some highlights. She cherrypicks a few irrelevant figures, including the long-dead and constantly wrong Stephen Gould (NOMA, Punctuated Equilibrium, Skull Size, to name but three of his biggest blunders) and "biologist PZ Myers" to once again cast doubts over evo psych. Go and read the blog, it's incredible.
A few comments on that article take a jab at libertarianism (Setar even shows up!). I'm not much into politics; can anyone explain why SJWs have such a hate-on for libertarianism?
I think they are seen as being too "survival of the fittest" and against tax funded social services. However, there are different types of libertarians, and I think some are supportive of at least a basic level of social services.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Notung wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:I'm a sexist pig - all FtB people are honourary "gals"
Be careful about posting things that could easily be quote-mined for nefarious purposes... ;)
They can all be honourary dudes if they prefer.

Anyway, last time I saw... they had SkepCHICK ... so surely that ,mean's I can refer to them as Chicks safely?

I'll do that in future, "heyyyyy chicky chicky, ya wanna ride in ma pimp mobile"
And with that as a segue, I will use an old song that I loved as a kid, "Chickaboom", for the sample video in another pasting of my Video Embedding Tutorial (for all the new people since the last time I did it):

YouTube Embedding Tutorial.

A youtube video url will come in two different types. The kind with the video code at the end, and the kind with the code in the middle. You need to strip off this extra stuff before putting the code (alone) between the youtube tags.

Here are two different urls going to the same video:

Code: Select all

code at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-8el1FLzo

and code in the middle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-8el1FLzo&list=PLE28217B1D596EDA6&index=12
Always get rid of everything up to and including, the first (or only) equal sign "=".
The stuff after it is the code, but note in the second example, there is extra stuff after the code.
The extra stuff after always begins with an "&" followed by whatever extra stuff.
Strip off the &'s and the extra stuff following at the end.

To sum it up, just keep the part between the first "=" and the first "&" (if there is one).

We are left with just the code: 25-8el1FLzo so...

Code: Select all

Now put that inside youtube tags:
[youtube]25-8el1FLzo[/youtube]
The above tag and code will become this when posted:

[youtube]25-8el1FLzo[/youtube]

Daddy Dewdrop - Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It) - 45 RPM 1971

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

EdgePenguin wrote:

Well, the Internet may have grown out of ARPANET (along with other networks in other nations) - but the World Wide Web on which their forum runs was invented at CERN, in Geneva. So by that logic, they ought to be speaking French!
But the WWW was invented by an englishman at CERN so... meh screw the parochial language argument. My corp in eve online is largely German speaking, and I get by, having never learnt a word of German at school. They are patient with me and i am with them.That said i taught TEFL (TESOL) for a while.
[youtube]UPHuE5pDlEs[/youtube]

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Libertarians are usually very socially liberal, so I guess it's the narcissism of small differences?

Libertarian (with a captial "L") are often ignoramous ideological freaks who are often anti-science, becaues often science does not support their fantasy that "Free market will solve everything!" They are generally anti-global warming (e.g., see here), because they are anti-regulations, they used to deny the role of cigarettes in increasing the risk of cancer (because regulating cigarettes is bad!), as well as prone to having many other goofy beliefs. The "Libertatian" party is almost a complete psuedoscience bullshit. Sometimes, they get some issues right (e.g., legalization of pot) but that's just pure luck, and not due to their insight into anything.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

somedumbguy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:somedumbguy:

Hmm. You and I get different lessons from that then. Of course, I am drunk...

I look at how useless the article page is and conclude the whole thing is a typical wiki whitewash. Not giving any of the details.

It's one reason I would like to see wiki pages contain "heat maps" indicating where in an article and how often changes have been made. Indicating wiki warring.

And then also I'd like to see a time slider so that I can easily see how the page has morphed over time.

What we see is just the most recent victory in any page's war. What we don't see is often more interesting.
Well, the wiki page is hardly the fault the editors, since they only, well, edit, but what I meant was that they remain firm that the articles shouldn't have bias clouding the issue, or unnecessary additions to appeal to a certain ideology, in this case feminism. Like in this conversation with what looks to be an editor and a bystander;

I don't see how you could misunderstand. Those articles also describe the etymologies of "man" and "woman" just like is being disputed here, particularly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_%28word%29. If you don't want to fix them, no problem. I'll add your suggested changes to those articles. 67.165.228.132 (talk) 03:09, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
What are you talking about? There hasn't been any "dispute" over the etymologies here, just a series of drive-by edits to lazily suggest that there is one. If you want your edit to the disputed sentence to stick, you're going to have to put up some kind of rationale for it with sources. Tit-for-tat games will get you nowhere. 98.207.57.82 (talk) 06:02, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
There sure has. The only sources you've provided that propose the cause of the shift in the meaning of "man" are from a feminist ideology. I don't see any other linguist cited. Also, questionable is why a manual on how to write is cited, but I guess everyone needs a little advertising now and then. Maybe you seem to think that this means universal consensus because this topic is tagged with the feminism portal, but you should probably remember that this is not a feminist encyclopedia; it's a general encyclopedia. Just because feminist sources state something, that doesn't make it a consensus. There are no drive-by-edits or tit-for-tat games, only your constant classification of everyone you disagree with as trolls or "attempts to spin". In any case, I see you're busy removing factual information from other articles that you disagree with without any discussion. I'm not surprised you feel such an ownership of this article. Feel free to put whatever you want here. I've already wasted enough time on an article that I only intended to fix an obvious omission with. 67.165.228.132 (talk) 13:22, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
Or maybe they're both bystanders, I don't know, but it seems one of them is concerned with being impartial and the other one is not. Although I agree with you that the general tone of the talk page is just filled with lulzworthy nonsense and I don't really know how to respond to it all except with either laughter or weeping. Or both.

This is kind of mentality you get when you go full social justice warrior, and as we all know, you never go full social justice warrior.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

this is THE kind of mentality***

a kingdom for an edit button.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

In a video that's far too long (over 18 minutes!), I ramble on about "My History With Radical Feminism". Here's how I got caught up in the cult of radical-lesbian-feminist-separatism for most of the 1980s. Also why and how I left it.

[youtube]v2vBt8Za_yA[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Notung wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: c) Just post the fucking email whole and invite her maggotbrained followers to laugh at people who can't write English particularly well?

Yes - I too thought that was unkind, especially as her correspondent seems to be writing in good faith, and is being nice to her.
I'd have mocked it. But I'm an asshole.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Well, speaking for myself, I distrust Libertarianism because it often comes across as an overly simplistic, dogmatic ideology. In a lot of ways it really does remind me of the type of Neofeminism that we talk about so often here in a lot of ways.

In this case, it's the strict ideology that private business is ALWAYS more efficient and makes better decisions than public government, and that for the things that public government does do, being at as a local government that you possibly can be is best. I disagree VERY strongly with both those ideological statements.

At least from what I've seen in my life, in order for private business to be more efficient, it requires a certain level of competition, which I don't think is always there. To give a good example, I don't think the American health care system works well at all. There simply can't be enough competition in that particular sector to result in the normal gains we see from a competitive marketplace. We can have a good discussion/debate on what the level of competition needed is, of course. But a strict ideological statement that private business is ALWAYS more efficient really doesn't help things.

Along the same lines, I'll be honest. I don't trust local politicians. At all. I do think it's a necessary evil in some cases, but again, IME, they tend to act in a corrupt fashion more frequently. And this is actually understandable...they know most/all of the people that their decisions affect, and that's going to influence the decisions that they make.

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:Another FTBer to rustle up some change from their supporters. This time it's avicenna for another laptop.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... rity-case/

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/boa ... 221300.gif
Nice reminder you added there about natalie, I like that.

Also, laptop. If you call it a lappy, people should steal it from you and give it to someone who isn't a twat.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

And the biggest Libertarian think tank is the Cato Institute (founded by Koch brothers and the rest; nuff said):
"According to the 2011 Global Go To Think Tank Index, Cato is the 6th most influential US based think tank, ranking 3rd in Economic Policy and 2nd in Social Policy."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Notice this comment here I made at avicenna's latest about Nat Reed,

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ment-35950

Not even an acknowledgement. But priorities are priorities.

--

Oh, and as for Jen, I'm not sure answering yes to all of that gish gallop would be the best thing to do (even though, to be fair, she probably did as a joke, or just to be generally dismissive). Especially since she just answered yes to that humans, genetics and the world all happened accidentally. With my knowledge of biology, I beg to differ.

decius

Post by decius »

EdgePenguin wrote: Penn Jillette is not, to be fair, a great skeptic. One episode of "Bullshit!" was basically shilling for the tobacco lobby by claiming that passive smoking did not exist. Another went into full on climate change denial, and had a go at climate scientists based on some bad science reporting in Time magazine.
Several years ago, libertarians energized by the likes of Jillette and Shermer attempted to inject their ideology into the skeptical movement. It was nothing so severe as the current Marxist/feminist attempt at hijacking, but some of the arguments were similar. "Libertarianism is the natural outcome of skepticism, etc..."
They were told to fuck off, got the message and took a step back. Shermer even revised much of his intellectual outlook. Jillette begrudgedly admitted of not being an authority on anything, let alone climatology, and publicly invited people not to follow his advice.

The difference being that they are people one can reason with.

welch

Post by welch »

Gefan wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
It promotes personal responsibility. What did you expect?
Libertarian is a bag of cats as a word. It includes some people that even the tea party think are bugfuck crazy to people who only care about legal weed. The definition I use for it is: not part of the other two parties.

So, you have some libertarians who are really some pretty heinous people, sucking ayn rand's cock, and others who are as a whole, fairly sensible folks. It's usually the former that liberal folk mean when they get all angry about them.

The randists are pretty twatty.

welch

Post by welch »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Karmakin wrote: That they see one standard for them and another standard for everybody else is the entire problem with the SJW worldview. It's raw tribalism, nothing more, nothing less. Using the proper language is just a tribal marker.
Lord of the Flies.
Animal Farm.
(A list of their Operating Manuals)
You forgot the Scientology stuff.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

EdgePenguin wrote:Is people asking deliberately dumb questions supposed to be some subtle debate technique or something?

That conversation didn't go anywhere did it? It was like watching two slugs trying to open a jam jar. Bravo Peter.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Damn, didn't see your comment before I posted, welch.

Anyway, it's nice to see the FTBers know what they want. They want a) to send a Canadian to a convention, b) get a woman ugly, expensive shoes and c) an expensive $600 laptop to be used for most likely nothing more than blogging. However, when someone of their own is in actual peril of being without a home for a while, not a sound. That just pisses me off.

I note julian would have chipped in for avicenna, but sent his last ten bucks to send that "deadbeat Lousy Canuck to WIS". Well then.

Since I don't live in the States it's impossible for me to help, but if I did I would have offered to let her stay at my place for free until she could get on her feet again, because this is just shameful.

decius

Post by decius »

I can't find the second clarification where he stated his lack of expertise even more explicitly, but this will do.

[youtube]xE0UkL4tjpg[/youtube]

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote: Libertarian is a bag of cats as a word. It includes some people that even the tea party think are bugfuck crazy to people who only care about legal weed. The definition I use for it is: not part of the other two parties.

So, you have some libertarians who are really some pretty heinous people, sucking ayn rand's cock, and others who are as a whole, fairly sensible folks. It's usually the former that liberal folk mean when they get all angry about them.

The randists are pretty twatty.
That's very true. Social libertarians have basically no connection whatsoever with Randism and right-wing politics.

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Another FTBer to rustle up some change from their supporters. This time it's avicenna for another laptop.

Also, laptop. If you call it a lappy, people should steal it from you and give it to someone who isn't a twat.

Well said! I can't see this as anything other than begging. If i'm a man that donates towards this laptop, am I not oppressing her?

franc

Post by franc »

welch wrote:Libertarian is a bag of cats as a word.
It is another word, like "liberal" and "conservative", debased beyond redemption. This is the US version of it - "I'm a greedy cunt and I refuse to pay tax. Roads and water pipelines will just build themselves, so fuck you. I'll have guns with that. And I don't want no dope smoking homos teaching my kids either."

welch

Post by welch »

Scrolling back through her last few entries, not a mention of nat reed.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Greta wrote, ironically:
I think people should do whatever activism gets them excited.
I am fiercely opposed to the argument that “You shouldn’t do the activism you’re passionate about — you should do the activism I’m passionate about.” And I have serious problems when activists try to get attention for the causes they care about by denigrating the causes other people care about.
Well, I agree with that.

Except it's completely counter to their A+ social justice warrior if radical feminism isn't your top priority activism, then you're a misogynistic gender traitor mass-murdering acid-throwing slymepitter !!!111!!11!! schtick.

:think:

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

franc wrote:
It is another word, like "liberal" and "conservative", debased beyond redemption. This is the US version of it - "I'm a greedy cunt and I refuse to pay tax. Roads and water pipelines will just build themselves, so fuck you. I'll have guns with that. And I don't want no dope smoking homos teaching my kids either."
Franc you could have just said "teaparty"

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Turglemeister wrote:
welch wrote:

Well said! I can't see this as anything other than begging. If i'm a man that donates towards this laptop, am I not oppressing her?
Well apparently he lives in India and we as know, India is one of the countries responsible for perpetuating the patriarchy.

Not only would you be oppressing her, you would be rubbing salts in her wounds and it would be your privilege. (Seriously, though, this is seriously fucked up. She'll be without home soon. I mean, I don't know every homeless person out there and I bleed with them, but what the fuck?)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Za-zen wrote:
franc wrote:
That's not the issue here, man! We're drawing a line in the sand- also, za-zen, "teaparty" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Teabagger", please.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

welch wrote:

Scrolling back through her last few entries, not a mention of nat reed.
Fluevogs, dude.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Karmakin wrote:Well, speaking for myself, I distrust Libertarianism because it often comes across as an overly simplistic, dogmatic ideology. In a lot of ways it really does remind me of the type of Neofeminism that we talk about so often here in a lot of ways.

In this case, it's the strict ideology that private business is ALWAYS more efficient and makes better decisions than public government, and that for the things that public government does do, being at as a local government that you possibly can be is best. I disagree VERY strongly with both those ideological statements.

At least from what I've seen in my life, in order for private business to be more efficient, it requires a certain level of competition, which I don't think is always there. To give a good example, I don't think the American health care system works well at all. There simply can't be enough competition in that particular sector to result in the normal gains we see from a competitive marketplace. We can have a good discussion/debate on what the level of competition needed is, of course. But a strict ideological statement that private business is ALWAYS more efficient really doesn't help things.

Along the same lines, I'll be honest. I don't trust local politicians. At all. I do think it's a necessary evil in some cases, but again, IME, they tend to act in a corrupt fashion more frequently. And this is actually understandable...they know most/all of the people that their decisions affect, and that's going to influence the decisions that they make.
I'm no Libertarian, but I know that a lot of people criticise Libertarian ideas by assuming that the "free market" capitalism we currently live under is what Libertarians are after. I am pretty sure that is not the case. I believe that Hayek is one of the economists favoured by Libertarians (I myself tend to prefer Keynes to Hayek), and he has quite sophisticated ideas about how attempting to control the marketplace stifles competition etc.

To actually implement Hayek's ideas though would require a revolutionary turn almost as large as going full communist. The only reason to make such a decision would be based on the belief that we simply cannot predict what the economy is going to do (and we would struggle to control it), so we ought to allow it to change without interfering and making matters worse.

franc

Post by franc »

Za-zen wrote:
franc wrote:
It's called a spleen dump. But yeah, teabaggers. Bingo. I am embarrassed to use the term "libertarian" nowadays because it has become so toxic and so unlike what the original thinkers thought.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

decius wrote:I can't find the second clarification where he stated his lack of expertise even more explicitly, but this will do.

[youtube]xE0UkL4tjpg[/youtube]
That seems pretty reasonable.