Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by jimthepleb »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Apples wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Some cruel bugger has placed a metal ring in that butterfly!
Which reminds me - here's Half-fish on video, all bundled up for the Canadian winter:
[youtube]mpuIyobffxE[/youtube]

Here's Half-fish less bundled up. Which helps explain why blog commenters are almost as confused as Half-fish about s/h/it's sex/gender:
https://haifischgeweint.files.wordpress ... _0720_.jpg
YES!!!!! I have waited to see a Half-Fish video for so long!
Watching now.
his other video on settler privilege is priceless:
'if your blood relatives came from abroad to where you now are you are a "settler"'
ah ok, that'll be bloody everyone then.
such a cunt

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

jimthepleb wrote:[spoiler]
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Apples wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Some cruel bugger has placed a metal ring in that butterfly!
Which reminds me - here's Half-fish on video, all bundled up for the Canadian winter:
[youtube]mpuIyobffxE[/youtube]

Here's Half-fish less bundled up. Which helps explain why blog commenters are almost as confused as Half-fish about s/h/it's sex/gender:
https://haifischgeweint.files.wordpress ... _0720_.jpg
YES!!!!! I have waited to see a Half-Fish video for so long!
Watching now.
his other video on settler privilege is priceless:
'if your blood relatives came from abroad to where you now are you are a "settler"'
ah ok, that'll be bloody everyone then.
such a cunt[/spoiler]
I know. Such a retard.
Essentially he's telling us all to "fuck off back to Africa".

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Jumping on the bandwagon.........
Trigger warning for shitty sound, animation and impression.

[youtube]VJ_pi54SkeI[/youtube]
I'll grant the shitty sound and the somehow basic animation, but as far as the impression goes, I've just compared it to some Bane clips on YT, and you are quite spot on.

And at the risk of attracting the hire of a thousand fans, I found TDKR to be an immense pile of turd. YMMV.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
sacha wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: I'm a US American, is there any hope for me?
nope
I suspected. Sometimes it hits me just how bizarre we are to the rest of the world. I convinced my husband we could get away with saying we were Canadian when we travelled around Europe for two weeks in 2010. I think it helped that we both have some foreign language skills. No one expects that from the 'Mericans.
On behalf of actual Canadians, fuck you. What is it about Americans and their need to co-opt everything? Either get some pride in where you come from or move here. You can't have it both ways.
It is a weird stereotype that Americans seem to think Europeans will make their travel less agreeable if it is known they come from the US. To be fair, some will. We have lots of dickheads here too, but the vast majority won't mind or will be very welcoming, if only to have a nice chat.

I also remember when I was in Florida, back in the 90's (so, pre-gulf war 2) it was the opposite for me. I got out of trouble with local teens more than once by stating I'm French. At the time, there seemed to be some very good feelings towards the French in the States. These days, I'm not sure I'd advertise my country as much as I used to.

You never know with those crazy Merkins...

(Philip, thanks a lot, I'll try and do my best to make it worthwhile)
I didn't encounter one rude person over there. We went to Ireland, Great Britain, France and Germany. Over here you can expect anyone in the service industry to treat you like an inconvenience, ruining their $8 an hour (in CA) day by showing up and daring to order food. Not so over there. My husband couldn't remember how to say "onion" in German at a kebop place in Stuttgart. Not a problem. We were treated well and had a great time. Try speaking bad English here, you will be glared at and the person behind the counter will wonder why "illegal" can't "learn the language before you swim over." Never mind if you're not from Mexico, most of them can't tell the difference anyway.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Mark Neil wrote:
Remick wrote:
Brain Box wrote:
Mark Neil wrote:
Seems to be well in line with the "Don't tell women not to be raped, tell men not to rape" Kind of campaigns found in such places as the University of Ottawa student center
What exactly is wrong with that mind set? "Don't tell people not to get murdered, tell people not to murder."
I agree, many feminists believe that there isn't enough shame/stigma attached to rapists. I don't see how increasing it is a bad thing.
Vigilante justice against those accused of rape is already a problem, and is cheered on by the media, that's when they even choose to discuss it http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/vigilant ... t-in-egypt

So please, do tell me... how is it bad to increase the stigma attached to rapists if it already prompts vigilante justice? Just because feminists believe it isn't stigmatized enough, doesn't make that true.
Remick wrote:It isn't really about "telling men not to rape", its about getting people(esp men) to not give passes to others who do. Of course, that only matters if you think that most cities/towns in the world have an insular rape culture :doh:
Go back to my first post, and take a look at the yellow poster found in the window of the University of Ottawa Student council building, and tell me that is saying what you suggest it's saying. Telling men not to rape, and educating people about what constitute rape, are two completely different subjects, and I have no problem with the latter, within reason. Also read up on shrodinger's rapist and rape switch's and tell me that isn't telling men not to rape.
So because other people break the law and attack supposed/accused rapists, that means in other cases, they aren't protected/coddled? The media cheering is clearly a problem, I won't deny that. Actual rapists should be shamed/stigmatized. People who get accused of something shouldn't be. The posts I've seen haven't suggested anything illegal. Suggesting we increase the shame/stigma for rapists isn't unreasonable, (their method might be),

I also think you didn't read the last sentence in my post. All of what they are trying to accomplish only matters if rapists are still being protected and allowed to get away with it. There are clearly instances where this is true, but that doesn't make it a trend or a widespread problem. I think many of them live in this bubble, crafted by the leaders of the movement, sort of like what Becky is trying to do within the skeptic community. Inside the bubble, these things seem absolutely required (something like 99.5% of all rapes are unreported, or didn't you know?) and it is shocking to them that people would ever be against it. The argument you are having doesn't pierce the bubble.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I'm a bit late on the "ragging"-Mayhew-Watson thing so sorry for this late in the game reply. I wanted to point out that "ragging on" may have different basic meanings depending upon where you live. Much like "cunt". To me that phrase always has had connotations of a woman being "on the rag". M2C.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=237&start=1725#p54083
The negroes call their clog-dancing "ragging"
It would be mighty odd to think of menstruation every time 'ragtime' music was mentioned.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ragtime ragged time makes sense.

Looking for the etymology of 'ragging' I also find http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ragging

The point here is, Rebecca Watson does no research and tells anyone else that disagrees with her etymology of the word, that they are 'The dumbest person on twitter' instead.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

[youtube]VJ_pi54SkeI[/youtube]
I'll grant the shitty sound and the somehow basic animation, but as far as the impression goes, I've just compared it to some Bane clips on YT, and you are quite spot on.

And at the risk of attracting the hire of a thousand fans, I found TDKR to be an immense pile of turd. YMMV.
TDKR.
I enjoyed it but each to their own and I can see why it's criticised.
Batman having his back broken and becoming uber-fit again after some press-ups and a Doritos diet? LOL.

Anyway, Cheers Phil.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

[spoiler][youtube]VJ_pi54SkeI[/youtube][/spoiler]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's even funnier cos he sounds like Dr Evil when he says 'paint a butterfly'.
xinit wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Cupid Stunt wrote: This one is for you Ophelia

[spoiler]http://crotchtats.com/wp-content/upload ... tattoo.jpg[/spoiler]
Everyone who looks at that picture will never be able to sincerely take a Rorshach inkblot test ever again.
You were able to look at them sincerely before?
It's probably more to do with the fact that I'll probably never be able to read Watchmen without thinking of a talking minge behind Rorshach's mask.

'Thish shity ish afraid of me...schluurp...I have sheen itsh true face...schluurp'

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
That was during the Bush era though.
Might explain quite a lot. It's important to note that Europe has a very large population of Mediterranean immigrants, second, third and now fourth generation, and the majority of this population was very hostile to Gulf War II. It has even been speculated that the main reason for Chirac refusing to enter the conflict alongside the US and other allies was to avoid outrage and riots from these populations
I thought it was mainly to do with Chirac being up Saddam's arsehole (re. the "O-Chirac" reactor, and France's massive oil deals they had signed with Saddam)
Could be that, of course. France is not exactly the most honest (read: fucking corrupt) when it comes to government businesses and bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised at all. But frankly, I'm just happy we didn't go.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Hey you know what i don't think the Atheist community respects, and is therefore a hostile environment, indigenous peoples' rights and struggles. It's about time we opened up to these people, and that means campaigning on issues that matter to them. We operate from the unchallengeable premise that people from the oogy shugie tribe are the first, and therefore by virtue of the long standing law of finders keepers, the natural owners of this territory, and their culture should be respected as such.

Anyone who doesn't understand that this is simply about accepting " oogy shugies are people too" is beneath contempt, and we demand the leaders of the atheist movement show they are decent human beings by ostracising them.

Notung

Post by Notung »

Tkmlac wrote:I didn't encounter one rude person over there. We went to Ireland, Great Britain, France and Germany. Over here you can expect anyone in the service industry to treat you like an inconvenience, ruining their $8 an hour (in CA) day by showing up and daring to order food. Not so over there. My husband couldn't remember how to say "onion" in German at a kebop place in Stuttgart. Not a problem. We were treated well and had a great time. Try speaking bad English here, you will be glared at and the person behind the counter will wonder why "illegal" can't "learn the language before you swim over." Never mind if you're not from Mexico, most of them can't tell the difference anyway.
Britain is like that too. If a foreigner can'e speak English well and struggles then they'll get a lot of people tutting at them before burying their head back into the Daily Mail. However, when those same people go abroad, they just speak in loud, deliberate English, as if the person they're speaking to is stupid.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Dilurk wrote:[spoiler]
ReneeHendricks wrote:I'm a bit late on the "ragging"-Mayhew-Watson thing so sorry for this late in the game reply. I wanted to point out that "ragging on" may have different basic meanings depending upon where you live. Much like "cunt". To me that phrase always has had connotations of a woman being "on the rag". M2C.
It would be mighty odd to think of menstruation every time 'ragtime' music was mentioned.

Looking for the etymology of 'ragging' I also find http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ragging[/qpoiler]

The point here is, Rebecca Watson does no research and tells anyone else that disagrees with her etymology of the word, that they are 'The dumbest person on twitter' instead.
Guys, get your facts straight.

SARAH lied about the etymology of "Ragging" in order to make MELANIE look bad and REBECCA called her on it. People have misinterpreted what has been said and let's stop attacking where there is not mistake.

Rebecca said
Also it took me about 30 seconds of Googling to see that “ragged on” having something to do with menstruation is unlikely at best and at worst is an idiotic way to try and fail to score a cheap point.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Dilurk wrote:The point here is, Rebecca Watson does no research and tells anyone else that disagrees with her etymology of the word, that they are 'The dumbest person on twitter' instead.
Yes, then says, "I know I should stop. At this point it's like doing a victory lap after beating a 5-year old at chess."

Which is kind of funny, because I have my doubts that feckless Becky could actually beat a 5-year old at chess, let alone complete a victory lap. If you ever doubt for a minute that she deserves all the ridicule she gets (and more), all you have to do is glance at her twitter feed. She is a fricken malignant tumor in the brain of the skeptical movement.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Where's Franc these days?
Still part of Europ. South of Belgiqu, west of Allemagn.
That was...that was...MAGNIFICENT!

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Well I fucked up those tags didn't I.

I'll go back to the re-education zone.

Git

Post by Git »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Git wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Might explain quite a lot. It's important to note that Europe has a very large population of Mediterranean immigrants, second, third and now fourth generation, and the majority of this population was very hostile to Gulf War II. It has even been speculated that the main reason for Chirac refusing to enter the conflict alongside the US and other allies was to avoid outrage and riots from these populations
I thought it was mainly to do with Chirac being up Saddam's arsehole (re. the "O-Chirac" reactor, and France's massive oil deals they had signed with Saddam)
Could be that, of course. France is not exactly the most honest (read: fucking corrupt) when it comes to government businesses and bullshit. I wouldn't be surprised at all. But frankly, I'm just happy we didn't go.
I was sad that you didn't.

But then I think that genocidal fascist tyrants are a bad thing, unlike Chirac.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tkmlac wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:
sacha wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: I'm a US American, is there any hope for me?
nope
I suspected. Sometimes it hits me just how bizarre we are to the rest of the world. I convinced my husband we could get away with saying we were Canadian when we travelled around Europe for two weeks in 2010. I think it helped that we both have some foreign language skills. No one expects that from the 'Mericans.
On behalf of actual Canadians, fuck you. What is it about Americans and their need to co-opt everything? Either get some pride in where you come from or move here. You can't have it both ways.
Fuckk that. Have you been here? We are seriously having rallies about "keeping our guns" after twenty children were shot dead. Since that mass shooting, hundreds more have died, including a larger number of children than died on said mass shootings. And we're holding rallies. And at three of those rallies, there were five accidental shootings in one day. I could go into the federal government not finding fraud within the banks that tanked the economy, our 46% rate of people who believe the earth is 6k years old or the mass imprisonment of the mentally ill, homeless and minorities, but I just don't have the effort. There's not much to be proud of.
Which probably prompted Dank's "or move here". Not a bad advise, IMO, if you get really pissed off by your country and can't do anything about the way things are. In your lifetime, I mean.

cunt

Post by cunt »

SPACKlick wrote: Guys, get your facts straight.

SARAH lied about the etymology of "Ragging" in order to make MELANIE look bad and REBECCA called her on it. People have misinterpreted what has been said and let's stop attacking where there is not mistake.

Rebecca said
Also it took me about 30 seconds of Googling to see that “ragged on” having something to do with menstruation is unlikely at best and at worst is an idiotic way to try and fail to score a cheap point.
Or she was mistaken about it. Or she wasn't and it was an intentional lie. Or she's right. Or it doesn't fucking matter because at the end of the day you idiots are arguing over an irrelevant point that somebody with a degree in propaganda has chosen for you.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Notung wrote:
Tkmlac wrote:I didn't encounter one rude person over there. We went to Ireland, Great Britain, France and Germany. Over here you can expect anyone in the service industry to treat you like an inconvenience, ruining their $8 an hour (in CA) day by showing up and daring to order food. Not so over there. My husband couldn't remember how to say "onion" in German at a kebop place in Stuttgart. Not a problem. We were treated well and had a great time. Try speaking bad English here, you will be glared at and the person behind the counter will wonder why "illegal" can't "learn the language before you swim over." Never mind if you're not from Mexico, most of them can't tell the difference anyway.
Britain is like that too. If a foreigner can'e speak English well and struggles then they'll get a lot of people tutting at them before burying their head back into the Daily Mail. However, when those same people go abroad, they just speak in loud, deliberate English, as if the person they're speaking to is stupid.
My mad old grandad was 'fluent' in Spanish; if "Hello-o I-o want-o to-o go-o to-o the-o swimming-o bath-o" counts as fluent? he was frigging hilarious. Especially as my dad is Bolivian and IS fluent. Hey wait does that give me indigenous rights as a cholo?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gefan wrote: This is why Mykeru's new video is turning into the Pit's answer to "Chinese Democracy". Every time he thinks he's finished, there's an escalation of the crazy and he probably plods gloomily back into the lab to find a way to include the latest in Baboonery.
I know, dammit, and it's pissing me off.

I had to just time-stamp the crazy, say "I won't deal with the crazy past this date". I've also moved everything off the timeline that wasn't specifically directed at me. I had to cut all the hoggle-esque analysis.

So there will have to be lots of follow up.

And, you know as it is I write far too much stuff. In rewrite I have to cut shit out mercilessly. They've actually managed to do the Creationist shotgun technique: Paralyzing by giving a detractor too much juicy crazy to deal with.

DAMN THEM FOR BEING TOO ENTERTAINING

P.S. Axl Rose is a dick.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Apples wrote:
Dilurk wrote:The point here is, Rebecca Watson does no research and tells anyone else that disagrees with her etymology of the word, that they are 'The dumbest person on twitter' instead.
Yes, then says, "I know I should stop. At this point it's like doing a victory lap after beating a 5-year old at chess."
Aw bless. Becky got something right for once, and is clearly overjoyed. Let's not spoil this one, singular moment for her.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Guest wrote:
I find this funny, because that's EXACLTY what's happening in the Brazilian of Poá, São Paulo: criminals are painting little Snoopy figures over the houses of cops who are marked to die:

[youtube]9NgheEiHxYo[/youtube]
The title of the video is "SNOOPY SIGNALS HOUSES OF PM'S (Militar Policemen) MARKED TO DIE", and if you guys want, I can try to provide a translation of the contents of the video.

Then someone could send this to Ophelia and her friend/collaborator/whatever, so she can see how low they are sinking. That's CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR her commenter is suggesting. No more, no less.
Sorry for the serial posts.

But if we are going to raise the issue of criminal behaviors, shouldn't we do what we have been admonishing them to do and contact the authorities? I mean, we've pulled out this very simple and logical solution as a suggestion to them many times before. Shouldn't we follow suit when it touches us?

Well, I say "us", but I really just mean "you guys over the sea".

Chilly P.

Post by Chilly P. »

Za-zen wrote: The thing about the "hard men" of the sjw lot is that, just like julian "i'll break your neck" i cannot for the life of me take them seriously. I think for me anyway their uber threats are the best lolz i get in the whole show. I get the mental picture of some dweeb who is a ninja mage in his favourite rpg, and thus thinks he has actual superhero powers which which to intimidate you.
I visualize Reed Tucker, organic food store and karate dojo owner.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

VickyCaramel wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Might explain quite a lot. It's important to note that Europe has a very large population of Mediterranean immigrants, second, third and now fourth generation, and the majority of this population was very hostile to Gulf War II. It has even been speculated that the main reason for Chirac refusing to enter the conflict alongside the US and other allies was to avoid outrage and riots from these populations. Also of note, spitting on someone as a symbol of disgust/disdain/hatred is not generally a "native" European practice. Just like throwing a shoe.

No judgment from me, just something in the way of an explanation from my lived experiences (HA!)
Yeah, with Obama around it does seem different - Americans are a lot more proud to be American. I took a cruise around the Arctic a few years back and there was an American bloke there with an Obama shirt on, being very friendly and very openly American, which is something I'd never really seen before in Europe (we accessed the Arctic via Northern Europe).

I'm sure people spit on each other everywhere. SUCH A HORRIBLE HABIT THOUGH.
When you are in a religion, it seems very reasonable and sane. I think it may be hard for many Americans to realize just how fucking insane elements of their culture seem to the rest of us, gun culture, the business of health care, corruption... Bush, Palin... and the idea that the US is the greatest country on earth in every respect. Obviously not all American think like this, but the ones that do tend to be vocal.

I used to live in a small English town which was touristy, but also had a connection with early American history. So we got lots of French and Germans, and a load of American tourist. One thing I noticed is that while most tourists come to learn about our country, Americans seem to come here to tell us about our country. I once followed an American around a Regimental Museum for about half an hour while he played at being a tour guide. As the crowd grew, he became louder and more animated with his history lessons. It was highly amusing as he was wrong about virtually everything which was evident to anybody reading the labels on the exhibits. He was a bit like a Harry Enfield or Fastshow character... he gave you that feeling of 'I have met this guy before' as he seemed an stereotype which was so familiar.
Sounds like the Merkin teen a friend of mine met who wouldn't believe that the ENGLISH language originated in ENGLAND.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Where's Franc these days?
Still part of Europ. South of Belgiqu, west of Allemagn.
That was...that was...MAGNIFICENT!
Magnifiqu surely?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:

Rebecca said
Or she was mistaken about it. Or she wasn't and it was an intentional lie. Or she's right. Or it doesn't fucking matter because at the end of the day you idiots are arguing over an irrelevant point that somebody with a degree in propaganda has chosen for you.
Spot on.
Troll tactics rule number 1. Never get drawn into "their" argument. Deflect and nitpick on something else.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Ok, I was reading a thread of wind's on the A+_ forum today (I feel sorry for s/h/it and quite like their style) and the folowing are all quotes from it that read weird. I blame hug gate (Bolding Mine
Catherine wrote:Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 pm
Not much I can say other than *hugs* if you want them
Eowyn Entwife wrote:Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 pm
Big, gentle (((hugs))) if you want.
SubMor wrote:Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:19 am
Oh man. :( *hugs* if you want them, Wind.
GreatBlueHeron wrote:Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 am
Hugs if you want, wind.
Kassiane wrote:Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 am
Piles of sympathy & hugs if you want them.
ischemgeek wrote:Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am
Shitty situation, Wind. :( *hugs* if you want them.
rickymooston wrote:Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 am
Wow wind, that sounds hard. Hang in there.
Hugs if you wamt them too
It just seems so disingenuous

Although I note Ceepolk has no time for Dat
ceepolk wrote:Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 am
oh wind, this is more than your fair share. More hugs for you.

I don't know anything at all about epilepsy support boards. I'm sorry.

AnotherLurgerMkII

Post by AnotherLurgerMkII »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Sorry for the serial posts.

But if we are going to raise the issue of criminal behaviors, shouldn't we do what we have been admonishing them to do and contact the authorities? I mean, we've pulled out this very simple and logical solution as a suggestion to them many times before. Shouldn't we follow suit when it touches us?

Well, I say "us", but I really just mean "you guys over the sea".
Sure, if someone get s/h/ir house tagged, s/h/it should contact the autorities. But I think the hypocrisy of "their side" is becoming astonishing - and, as such, needs to be called.

Also, since I started lurking the Pit, I never seen anyone suggest to use the same tactics that drug dealers use in Brazil to intimidate their opponents. I may have lost something on the older threads, but...

Notung

Post by Notung »

Mayhew was trying to score a cheap point, adopting the MO (cheap point-scoring on the basis of unacceptable words) of the people she was arguing against. I doubt she'd use that against a Bigfoot believer or a Christian, even if they said 'ragging'. She was playing them at their own game - a mistake in my opinion - especially as there isn't much of a precedent for 'ragging' being thought to be sexist.

Also, as someone already noted - it was a mistake as it deflected from the more important point that she was making.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

cunt wrote:

Rebecca said
Whether or not Sarah's mistake is irrelevant, you've got to admit that people blaming rebecca for her mistake is *insert negative word I brain not*

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Which probably prompted Dank's "or move here". Not a bad advise, IMO, if you get really pissed off by your country and can't do anything about the way things are. In your lifetime, I mean.
We're hoping. It's harder and harder to be upwardly mobile here, especially the children of parents who didn't go to college. Luckily my husband's parents pushed him to do it and his family saved for it while my college "fund" went up my parents noses. If we get out it will be because he's getting a phd while I've been working full time since I was seventeen and chipping away at community college since I was 21. I want to teach high school some day, but I don't know what the demand is like in other countries.

decius

Post by decius »

rayshul wrote:[

I've seen a *lot* of Europeans treating Americans like shit, including spitting on them in the street and completely clearing out bars when they enter. .
In which country did you see this?

cunt

Post by cunt »

SPACKlick wrote: Whether or not Sarah's mistake is irrelevant, you've got to admit that people blaming rebecca for her mistake is *insert negative word I brain not*
What i'll admit is that Rebecca Watson is smarter than you.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

SPACKlick wrote:

Looking for the etymology of 'ragging' I also find http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ragging[/qpoiler]

Rebecca said
Well I agree, 'ragged on' is not usually about menstruation.

Looking at the last tweets.

https://twitter.com/saramayhew/status/2 ... 7364024321

According to Sara Mayhew, Melody says Women are ragging on skeptchicks to garner male attention. That's a pretty sexist remark all by itself, replace the word 'ragging' with 'hating' or ''criticising' and it is still a sexist remark.

Sara goes on to say Rebecca Watson goes on about the etymology of 'ragging' to deflect the claim.
I took that to mean that Sara was complaining that Rebbeca was bringing up the menstruation reference to distract from the claim that it was a sexist remark.

Here Sara appears to be arguing that 'ragging' does have the menstruation connotation. So it is clear I made a mistake here in interpretation above. It was indeed Sara making the claim 'ragging' had the menstruation connotation not Rebecca Watson.

https://twitter.com/saramayhew/status/2 ... 9796896769

However, she references http://books.google.ca/books?id=GtlU3dH ... edir_esc=y

I still find the original statement from Melody to be sexist no matter what the etymology of 'ragging' is used. If Melody was conscious of the menstruation connotation of 'ragging' then that simply makes it worse.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:
I was sad that you didn't.

But then I think that genocidal fascist tyrants are a bad thing, unlike Chirac.
We wouldn't have been very helpful, what with us French running when we taste cold steel...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

It's not the winning the battle that counts, its how much blood you get to spill before you fall. Legio patria nostra.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Dilurk wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:

Rebecca said
Well I agree, 'ragged on' is not usually about menstruation.

Looking at the last tweets.

https://twitter.com/saramayhew/status/2 ... 7364024321

According to Sara Mayhew, Melody says Women are ragging on skeptchicks to garner male attention. That's a pretty sexist remark all by itself, replace the word 'ragging' with 'hating' or ''criticising' and it is still a sexist remark.

Sara goes on to say Rebecca Watson goes on about the etymology of 'ragging' to deflect the claim.
I took that to mean that Sara was complaining that Rebbeca was bringing up the menstruation reference to distract from the claim that it was a sexist remark.

Here Sara appears to be arguing that 'ragging' does have the menstruation connotation. So it is clear I made a mistake here in interpretation above. It was indeed Sara making the claim 'ragging' had the menstruation connotation not Rebecca Watson.

https://twitter.com/saramayhew/status/2 ... 9796896769

However, she references http://books.google.ca/books?id=GtlU3dH ... edir_esc=y

I still find the original statement from Melody to be sexist no matter what the etymology of 'ragging' is used. If Melody was conscious of the menstruation connotation of 'ragging' then that simply makes it worse.
Your google books link took me to an empty page, but re-searching the same search terms brought me to this, which my guess is what the reference was:

http://i.imgur.com/tRIF0Tu.jpg

I don't know the etymology of "ragging" as in "quit ragging on me", but it is hard for me to pass by connotations I normally associate with "she's on the rag" or even "he's on the rag" and think that "quit ragging on me" is not a reference to a woman being nagging and bitchy because it's her period.

Apples

Post by Apples »

So, Greta wrote an article about "sensuality" and the atheist community the other day for secularhumanism.org. The link was borked at first, and she snarked at commenters who commented without having read it ..... because it wasn't available. Heh.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... /#comments

Anyway, the article's up, and I guess I understand Greta-itis now. She doesn't have time to write meaningful arguments or substantial rebuttals on her blog because:
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.ph ... stina_33_2
Greta wrote:I know that I’m not the only atheist who revels in good food and better hooch; who fucks all afternoon and dances all night; who walks in the sun for miles and pumps iron for the sheer endorphiny pleasure of it; who literally stops and smells roses. But our public life typically doesn’t reflect this. There are notable exceptions, of course: Skeptics in the Pub and similar events leap to mind. But in large part, our public life as atheists—our events, our writings, our culture—is geared toward political activism, social change, the pursuit of science, and the life of the mind.
The pursuit of science, and the life of the mind. That's a good one. As for her lead-in question, "Why isn’t atheist culture more physical? Why isn’t it more focused on sensuality and sensual joy?" Well, clearly, it's because we need more restrictive sexual harassment policies at conferences.

You needn't bother reading the article, but if you're on the fence, maybe this will get you in the mood (from Greta's Friday piece about buying gym-pants at Ross):
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/files ... othes1.jpg
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... t-clothes/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh, Janice Soprano. Now, that's a character I wanted to reference months ago with regards to those SJWs. She's the perfect incarnation of the way I envision them at times.

I swear, I love the show (watched the full seasons 3 times already), but everytime she was on screen, I'd crinch.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

"Crinch" doesn't sound like a real word. make that "cringe".

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, Janice Soprano. Now, that's a character I wanted to reference months ago with regards to those SJWs. She's the perfect incarnation of the way I envision them at times.

I swear, I love the show (watched the full seasons 3 times already), but everytime she was on screen, I'd crinch.
crinch
/crinCH/

Noun
Soft, wet, papery sound eyes, ears, and testicles make when crumpling up and trying to withdraw into body for safety. Frequently heard tailing off with a soft "ploop".

"I was drinking with Phil last night watching TV, and we all just busted out laughing at how loud and fast his crinch was, whenever Janet Soprano started speaking."

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

somedumbguy wrote: Your google books link took me to an empty page, but re-searching the same search terms brought me to this, which my guess is what the reference was:

http://i.imgur.com/tRIF0Tu.jpg

I don't know the etymology of "ragging" as in "quit ragging on me", but it is hard for me to pass by connotations I normally associate with "she's on the rag" or even "he's on the rag" and think that "quit ragging on me" is not a reference to a woman being nagging and bitchy because it's her period.
That's the page, thanks for that. I definitely had it wrong assuming Rebecca was claiming it was a menstruation reference not Sara. However, it is still immaterial here IMO. To claim that Sara is criticising another woman simply to attract the attention of men is sexist. It is fair to criticise anyone woman, man, or that green slime that is growing in my fridge, if they make a statement. We are all required (including the green slime) to be able to back up our claims with evidence and not claim that a criticism against the green slime is an attempt to curry the favour of male green slime.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

The point is....I was right. (about "ragging" having menstruating connotations). Ok carry on. hehe. RW is an idiot.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

On that "ragging" thing, I think mistakes were made here as to attributions. Confirmation bias, maybe.

Or maybe it's the fact that the skepchick/FC(n)/A+...etc have been attacking the slightest use of a word and denied its diverse cultural meanings and uses for the last ~2 years. Which is basically what drew me in this fuckfest in the first place.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

For the love of Moloch! Am I seriously watching a decent chunk of the 'pit go full Oolon in order to score some cheap points against Rebecca? Don't you derps know? You never go full Oolon.

ThreeFlangedJavis

AndrewV69 wrote:I will just leave this one here:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/misandry/th ... se-to-see/
Remember the controversy in the feminist blogosphere over strange men talking to women in an elevator? Reverse the sexes and I lived it. For me, the issue wasn’t hypothetical or used to demonstrate which gender has it worse with regard to potential sexual violence. It was based on an actual trauma response. The back and forth over why men should expect to be viewed as rapists by women in elevators took on a whole new level of offensive when viewed through the lens of my own experience.
I have to ask those people what kind of heartless person would do otherwise? I have to live with the consequences of her decisions that night. I regret ever meeting her. I regret agreeing to help her. I regret letting her buy me drinks. You know what I don't regret? I don't regret restraining myself and choosing not to use force against a pregnant woman and her child - even in my own defense. I have to ask - what kind of sorry excuse for a "man" would proudly do otherwise? As is evidenced by the comments on the Huffington Post snippet of my panel comments, apparently, there are a lot of you out there without the courage to endure something horrible and then face it down like a man - and get the help you need. You'd rather silence another man for the sake of being a BIG, TOUGH GUY, because you think, given the same situation, you would actually hurt a pregnant woman just to prove your manhood. Maybe you would, which makes you as scary as you are sad.

To those playing that card, no, I don't think that makes you a "REAL MARINE" in the slightest. I think it makes you a REAL, SAD, MISERABLE excuse for a human being. In the Corps, we called such a person a Shit Bird.

Keep clucking birds. I'm not in your formation. I'd rather fly alone than with any "man" who would rather hurt a woman and silence other men, than admit he got hurt himself. I'm speaking out so that other men who have experienced rape, whether at the hands of a man or woman, feel less alone and more empoowered to seek the help they need. All you and your ilk have to offer are the tired old tricks of groupthink, cowardice and a miserable excuse for masculinity if you have to hurt a woman to prove you are a man.

I'm done with such "men" and I have no use for their violence, hatred, false bravado and utter lack of empathy. I served with pride and earned my stripes and every medal that got pinned on my chest - and I didn't need to hurt a woman to do it. My masculinity is not defined by my ability to perform violence, but my my desire to do the right thing, even at the expense of my own security.
This guy's macho sexist shit gets on my wick a bit. Fuck that. The point at which someone decides to rape is the point at which their head becomes a legitimate target for a smacking. He didn't have to hurt the unborn child, he could have put her lights out without harm to the kid. He gets no brownie points for letting her manipulate him into letting her finish the rape.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

jimthepleb wrote:
jesus christ apples!! trigger warnings PLEASE.
I don't want to sound mean, and I think there's something weird with the pic's angle, but I'm listening to the "The Hobbit" soundtrack right now, and it doesn't sound out of line...

Apples

Post by Apples »

jimthepleb wrote:jesus christ apples!! trigger warnings PLEASE.
:D sorry about that - hugs if you want them! {{{{}}}}

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Angry_Drunk wrote:For the love of Moloch! Am I seriously watching a decent chunk of the 'pit go full Oolon in order to score some cheap points against Rebecca? Don't you derps know? You never go full Oolon.
Tropic Thunder, right?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

debaser71 wrote:The point is....I was right. (about "ragging" having menstruating connotations). Ok carry on. hehe. RW is an idiot.
You were quite right. I had a hard time finding the tweet where Sara referenced the googlebooks reference.

I got it wrong assuming it was RW claiming 'ragging' having the menstruation connotation. I am still very much a twitter n00b. FWIW, I have also been blocked by the Aratina whatever it is, (hence I appear to be also blocked by RW) despite my best effort at staying as unbiased as possible and not getting that involved. I am willing to talk to all sides and listen to all sides since I am honestly interested in whatever the true story is, but it is harder when creationist tactics are used such as blocking.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Go for it Francy. As part of your court-ordered community service you can clean out the garage and mow the lawn. Better make sure the paint isn't too hard to scrub out.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:For the love of Moloch! Am I seriously watching a decent chunk of the 'pit go full Oolon in order to score some cheap points against Rebecca? Don't you derps know? You never go full Oolon.
Tropic Thunder, right?
You got it.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

So how long does this twitter suspension shit last?
I'm back but have 0 followers and 0 followed now, for a while, and a dead feed.
I think it must have been my tweet to ophie that bought me it.
I'll bet she has templates for letters of complaint.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dilurk wrote:
debaser71 wrote:The point is....I was right. (about "ragging" having menstruating connotations). Ok carry on. hehe. RW is an idiot.
You were quite right. I had a hard time finding the tweet where Sara referenced the googlebooks reference.

I got it wrong assuming it was RW claiming 'ragging' having the menstruation connotation. I am still very much a twitter n00b. FWIW, I have also been blocked by the Aratina whatever it is, (hence I appear to be also blocked by RW) despite my best effort at staying as unbiased as possible and not getting that involved. I am willing to talk to all sides and listen to all sides since I am honestly interested in whatever the true story is, but it is harder when creationist tactics are used such as blocking.
There's oodles of "preemptive" blocking going on with Twitter involving the likes of Aratina, RW, and many others. The whole "friend of a friend of a friend" kind of crap.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

jimthepleb wrote:So how long does this twitter suspension shit last?
I keep trying to follow you and get bumped out again for some odd reason. I can see your timeline. If you're not back within 24 hours, contact Twitter support is my suggestion.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Go for it Francy. As part of your court-ordered community service you can clean out the garage and mow the lawn. Better make sure the paint isn't too hard to scrub out.
My daughter would kill for a few of those on our drive and we have the space... If I gave him my address you think he'd sort me out?
We could chip in and bring him over to yurp for a while and practise our spitting.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Has this already been covered? It reeks of bullshit. Whether Zvans bullshit or ciaphas' bullshit remains to be seen but, bullshit it is.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... anging-on/
TLDR; Steffy Zvan would have us honestly believe that a would-be-rapist decided not to rape a girl because he read Zvan's blog. Pull the fucking other one.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

jimthepleb wrote:So how long does this twitter suspension shit last?
Weird, seems to have reset your followers and stuff. I followed you this morning. Well, gotta do it again, I guess.

Apples

Post by Apples »

I guess Rebecca was so refreshed by her victory over Sara that she decided to redecorate Skepchick. It looks like crap. Also - bonus!
Rebecca wrote:I’m considering doing a thing where you could buy a premium (but inexpensive) subscription to Skepchick that would give you the option of turning off ads. And maybe other perqs, too.
Well now we know what to get each other for Xmas next year.

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/a-new-look/