Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by cunt »

SOIWOTI

The ragging argument is a red herring, and it just sucks to see people being sucked in by in. Comes from here.

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/on-optimism/

Sara Mayhew
JREF was the first skeptic conference to put in place a harassment policy. They continue to have around 50% of women speakers at TAM (and they do more than speak about women’s issues).

Melody Hensley gossips about women speakers constantly. She tweeted before CSICon that there are women who try to get male attention and more speaking engagements by “ragging on” Skepchicks. The claim that women criticism not out of an intellectual motivation, but by ladder climbing via male attention. At the very least “ragged on” is using a derogatory term related to a woman’s menstrual cycle.

No one ever addresses the bullying of women BY women that goes on. It’s ignored or met with the attitude of “just a cat fight”. If Hensley was a man and made those comments it would’ve been taken seriously.
Rebecca Watson replies
Sara, while I’m happy you’ve moved from passive aggression to slightly less passive aggression, your near-libelous, semi-coherent (“ragging?”) whining isn’t actually welcome here.

Dear lord, the irony of posting gossip about someone who gossips too much.
Notice how Mayhew can actually afford to be wrong on the use "ragging" without it affecting the meat and potatoes of her claim, that Hensley and her clique have been claiming other women who disagree or claim to dislike them only do so for the attention of men.

The fact is that Watson can't confront that claim with "oh yeah, suppose you've got something to back that up", because there is a real danger there that Mayhew has saved it, or can find specific examples of what she's talking about. So instead, she focuses on the most irrelevant part, knowing that a win on "ragging" will discredit the entire claim in the easily manipulated minds of her dull-witted followers.

Maybe she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she's an effective troll. It's sad to see Mayhew falling for it.

codelette

Post by codelette »

16bitheretic wrote:
codelette wrote:Argghh. That shit image up there said that little girl needed feminism because "society" tells women they cannot short hair because of vagina and shit.
Fun fact: I have very short hair, Halley Berry-short. I had my first pixie cut when I was 3-4 yrs old.
The very idea of there even being a controversy about hair length for either gender is an argument out of that girls' grandparent's time. Both guys and girls nowadays are free to have their hair short or long with all sorts of styling options commonly accepted either way.
Plenty of women sported short hair during the 1920s. Maybe that girls time-travelled from the 1890s and skipped the whole flapper thing and the subsequent eras where women in America have sported short hair without "society" condemning them.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Michael K Gray wrote:
debaser71 wrote:From my interactions with internet radfems, they mostly seem to hate "breeders"....they use words like "child-free" instead of childless. (haha) Anyway, yeah, why is childcare a woman's thing?
Breastfeeding.
<snort> Ahem. Sorry. Glad I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that. Yeah, welcome to the inconvenient reality of biology.

'Child-free' really sends a particular sort of (privileged) message, doesn't it?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

codelette wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:
codelette wrote:Argghh. That shit image up there said that little girl needed feminism because "society" tells women they cannot short hair because of vagina and shit.
Fun fact: I have very short hair, Halley Berry-short. I had my first pixie cut when I was 3-4 yrs old.
The very idea of there even being a controversy about hair length for either gender is an argument out of that girls' grandparent's time. Both guys and girls nowadays are free to have their hair short or long with all sorts of styling options commonly accepted either way.
Plenty of women sported short hair during the 1920s. Maybe that girls time-travelled from the 1890s and skipped the whole flapper thing and the subsequent eras where women in America have sported short hair without "society" condemning them.

And in the 1920s and 1960s BOYISH figures were all the rage. Loose, shapeless clothing and flat tits and ass. FASHION dictated how women dressed/looked NOT the patriarchy.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

debaser71 wrote:lol I live in New York....in my younger days it was called OTR (on the rag).

Maybe I'm just old school.

But now that you mention it, yes, another definition of ragging is to taunt.
Yup, there's a difference between "on the rag" and "ragging".

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Zenspace wrote: Can you imagine a conference run by the mods of atheismplus?
Can you imagine the sort of anti-harrassment policy that would be required to placate them?
Something like this, I would guess:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... e0b89a.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:The fact is that Watson can't confront that claim with "oh yeah, suppose you've got something to back that up", because there is a real danger there that Mayhew has saved it, or can find specific examples of what she's talking about. So instead, she focuses on the most irrelevant part, knowing that a win on "ragging" will discredit the entire claim in the easily manipulated minds of her dull-witted followers.

Maybe she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she's an effective troll. It's sad to see Mayhew falling for it.
Yep - you're right. It's a cheap win. Sara got sloppy, and Becky got lucky.

codelette

Post by codelette »

another lurker wrote:
codelette wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:

And in the 1920s and 1960s BOYISH figures were all the rage. Loose, shapeless clothing and flat tits and ass. FASHION dictated how women dressed/looked NOT the patriarchy.
Hehehe. Talking about flat tits and "needing feminism"
http://whoneedsfeminism.tumblr.com/image/40784017419

She doesn't need feminism. She needs self esteem.

Signed,
Woman w/ Tiny Tits

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Granted this is going back a few decades but when I had long hair, it's wasn't acceptable to a lot of people. And it wasn't just the guido assholes.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

codelette wrote:
That line should somehow be included in the dictionary definition of gender feminism.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

News Update re: Dick Carrier's calling out my post on FTB:

Richard,

Sorry it took me a while to respond to your post. Let’s get to it, shall we?

“Our specimen also conveniently “leaves out” the fact that the way this researcher was treated merely for wanting to research the question exhaustively and conclusively proves there is a disgusting and shocking degree of sexism in the gaming community.”

What Richard conveniently leaves out is that the video in question was a plea for both money for a kickstarter and a plea (though unspoken) for the very trollish comments she then displays to play the victim. Previous FF videos were comments disabled. All of them since then are also comments disabled. Why do you think she allowed comments on the one video she was using to e-beg? To add fuel to the fire, she then posts a comment in that video asking people not to feed the trolls. She’s very clever there don’t you think?

Here are some comments that your link linked to :

“But this study has been done over and over and over and over again….stop beating a dead horse.” and

“Why don’t you make a series that highlights the strengths of the medium in regards to women? If you want positive change then delve into whats being done right, rather than focusing on this negatively. Look at eternal darkness (which is awesome), that game has a female lead who is not hypersexualised or stereotyped – and there are loads more. Thats what i’d prefer to see.” and

”
It’s called an archetype. Such are present in male characters as well. Archetypes have recurred in human forms of expression since the invention of art.”

Such misogynistic comments. These were gamer people who had developed their own culture, rules of engagement and slang. Into this arena a self-proclaimed feminist who vlogs about decidedly 1st world “issues”, wants to review games from her decidedly prudish (to the gamers) POV. In an effort to change the games being produced. Well you can see why they might get upset.

SURLY AMY-

“he misrepresents what actually happened, and then fallaciously infers from these thus-fabricated non-examples that feminism deserves to be opposed, and therefore (we’re to infer) feminist women deserve to be ruthlessly digitally harassed.”

The backstory on Amy :http://elevatorgate.wordpress.com/tam-2012-drama/

Nice straw man Dick. I in fact do not believe feminist women deserve to be ruthlessly digitally harassed. Can I see the evidence of this “ruthless digital harassment”, please? If it’s so ruthless and actually meets the definition of harassment, I’m sure you’ll have police reports, or injunctions that means some official entity recognizes the digital harassment as such, right, Dick?

Science denialism : Here’s a link to the Clint piece.
http://skepticink.com/incredulous/2012/ ... onference/

In your only defense of this article you cited Stephanie Zvan’s FTB article. Interesting choice in that it was self-contradictory. Didn’t see that part? Let me point it out to you by putting her comments near each other rather than separated by several paragraphs.

“Have you seen Rebecca Watson’s Skepticon talk yet? You should. It’s a brief, entertaining look into some of the ways evolutionary psychologists abuse science when it comes to gender essentialism. ”

and

“Once again, this points to the fact that this is a speech about popular psychology. I happen to disagree about the “boring” part, but she’s dead right about the fact that evolutionary psychology in the popular media is appalling. ”

Who’s doing the lying here Dick?
“as if he thought I didn’t know the truth of these facts and wouldn’t point you to the links–links he was careful not to include, because he knows if you actually looked into these things he would be exposed”

Links are there Dick, your move.

Richard Carrier

January 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm (UTC -8)

[The above post by submariner is almost entirely bullshit. It is full of even more fallacies and falsehoods, and descends into immature name calling. SOP. I let it through moderation solely to show people what sort of people I'm dealing with here.]

Almost entirely bullshit, is that a professional opinion or just an assertion.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

cunt wrote:SOIWOTI

The ragging argument is a red herring, and it just sucks to see people being sucked in by in. Comes from here.

Sara Mayhew
JREF was the first skeptic conference to put in place a harassment policy. They continue to have around 50% of women speakers at TAM (and they do more than speak about women’s issues).

Melody Hensley gossips about women speakers constantly. She tweeted before CSICon that there are women who try to get male attention and more speaking engagements by “ragging on” Skepchicks. The claim that women criticism not out of an intellectual motivation, but by ladder climbing via male attention. At the very least “ragged on” is using a derogatory term related to a woman’s menstrual cycle.

No one ever addresses the bullying of women BY women that goes on. It’s ignored or met with the attitude of “just a cat fight”. If Hensley was a man and made those comments it would’ve been taken seriously.
Rebecca Watson replies
Sara, while I’m happy you’ve moved from passive aggression to slightly less passive aggression, your near-libelous, semi-coherent (“ragging?”) whining isn’t actually welcome here.

Notice how Mayhew can actually afford to be wrong on the use "ragging" without it affecting the meat and potatoes of her claim, that Hensley and her clique have been claiming other women who disagree or claim to dislike them only do so for the attention of men.

The fact is that Watson can't confront that claim with "oh yeah, suppose you've got something to back that up", because there is a real danger there that Mayhew has saved it, or can find specific examples of what she's talking about. So instead, she focuses on the most irrelevant part, knowing that a win on "ragging" will discredit the entire claim in the easily manipulated minds of her dull-witted followers.

Sara E. Mayhew
@saramayhew

Dammit! @rebeccawatson *did* red herring me! - @MrsVickyCaramel "Notice how saramayhew can actually afford to be wrong" http://bit.ly/XW2gGd

welch

Post by welch »

I always thought the one poster, with the "call a friend if you feel the need to rape someone" was a bit of a goof with a decent point. It amused me, and that was about all the thought i gave it.

Oh, and for the historical minded...the source of my use of "New Media Douchebag":

[youtube]zSP8xm_gaK4[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ERV wrote:Twatson:
This is srsly how ridiculous and petty the people who bug us nonstop are: http://bit.ly/URJDCC Why'd I ever assume Sara Mayhew was smart?
LOL @ Twatson calling someone else stupid.

Not that Im not saying Rebecca Watson is dumb. I dont think shes stupid.

All Im saying, is that if Rebecca Watson was playing checkers with a chicken, you would have to drive a railroad spike though the chickens head before it would be a fair match.

Thats all Im saying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

https://twitter.com/Metalogic42

Can someone tweet me so I can figure out how the fuck this works? I'm a noob.

codelette

Post by codelette »

VickyCaramel wrote:
codelette wrote:
That line should somehow be included in the dictionary definition of gender feminism.
I was once reading this opinion piece by this local reporter about how something needed to be done about the rampant sexism on the streets of our town. According to her, this guy told her he was "going to lick her up and down", followed her several blocks and she couldn't say anything cause she was shy and her Southern belle values made her into some sort of wallflower.

*face palm*

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Apples wrote:*snip*

But if Brainy Becky wants to argue that the usage "to rag on someone" has something to do with women or menstruation and is therefore sexist, then I suppose we must concede that, and accept the fact that Galileo was executed by John the Other, who threw acid in his face as punishment for his heretical views on evolutionary psychology.

Haha! I'm loving Apples's stuff!

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Is anybody else witnessing the latest drama on Twitter regarding Sara Mayhew (gee, the Skepchicks really HATE her!) and Rebecca Watson, and the use of the word "ragging"? Rebecca is trying to say it is sexit, or summat, but Sara Mayhew is giving her both barrels.

BTW, can someone remind me. Did Greg Laden use the term "ragging"?
How is it sexist? If someone isn't referring to a period (I don't even think THAT'S sexist - it's simply lame to use hormonal changes someone can't help against them, but it's no different from saying a teenager, for example, is being generally hormonal (which happens in males and females), v. saying a woman is being hormonal because she's PMSing.), it's definitely not sexist. Just because people began saying "on the rag" doesn't mean now that the word RAG belongs to them.

Well, I think the larger point sara is making is that you can't go around bagging on people about being sexist, then demand the right to use terms which are considered sexist and further insist no one is allowed to call you out on it.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Apples wrote: Becky got lucky.
Usually that ends the next morning with some really hung-over guy jumping out a hotel window to his death.

Then the coroner gets public lice.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pubic.

Fuck you.

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: See what i wrote earlier about self-censorship, taking responsibility and having respect for other people on the forum.
That's laughable. I'm the one who needs to take responsibility? Who has been disrespecting people on this forum? IMO, multiple people owe *me* an apology. They're not the victims. That's like an FtBer saying someone who was repeatedly flamed by one of their stupid comrades needs to apologize to them because they said "show me your ____." Um, no. That post was like asking me to be spit upon and request more saliva.
nah. less whining and more of the smarter posts would do quite nicely. You may have noticed the difference in response when you aren't being a pain in the ass.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Apples wrote:
Yep - you're right. It's a cheap win. Sara got sloppy, and Becky ConcH2O got lucky.
Ah, the benefits of clubbing with fanny magnet mates.

welch

Post by welch »

Where was society when Audrey Hepburn and Twiggy were shatting all over proper feminine coifs?

WHERE?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: See what i wrote earlier about self-censorship, taking responsibility and having respect for other people on the forum.
That's laughable. I'm the one who needs to take responsibility? Who has been disrespecting people on this forum? IMO, multiple people owe *me* an apology. They're not the victims. That's like an FtBer saying someone who was repeatedly flamed by one of their stupid comrades needs to apologize to them because they said "show me your ____." Um, no. That post was like asking me to be spit upon and request more saliva.
nah. less whining and more of the smarter posts would do quite nicely. You may have noticed the difference in response when you aren't being a pain in the ass.
I noticed a very different writing style in WooWoo's post here - I think what we may have is plain, common-or-garden troll rather than angsty teen. Trouble is, I don't want to take the chance of being wrong, so moderation stays in place.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Metalogic42 wrote:https://twitter.com/Metalogic42

Can someone tweet me so I can figure out how the fuck this works? I'm a noob.
Fucking magnets?

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:SOIWOTI

Sara Mayhew

Rebecca Watson replies

Given the offensensitive nature of Hensley, Watson and the rest of the tits to anything even VAGUELY sexist, they kind of give up their right to the free pass to use any term even VAGUELY sexist.

welch

Post by welch »

Zenspace wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
debaser71 wrote:From my interactions with internet radfems, they mostly seem to hate "breeders"....they use words like "child-free" instead of childless. (haha) Anyway, yeah, why is childcare a woman's thing?
Breastfeeding.
<snort> Ahem. Sorry. Glad I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read that. Yeah, welcome to the inconvenient reality of biology.

'Child-free' really sends a particular sort of (privileged) message, doesn't it?
Yes and no. The modern use is to indicate people who aren't "childless" with the common implication they want kids, but can't have them. It's rather a short way to say "I have no interest whatsoever in having children, and no, I don't actually need to explain it to anyone."

Now, to be correct, a LOT of the childfree folks are as insufferable as vegans who go to a BK and bitch about where the fryer smoke wafts, but that's the current gist of the term.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Ape+lust wrote:
Cupid Stunt wrote:You are talking to a person that can ,if it suits her, wilfully misconstrue a simple "good Morning" as a clear intent to commit genocide...
http://i.imgur.com/CT8q3I1.jpg
REBECCA!

(Has someone said this already? I'm behind.)

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
another lurker wrote:
codelette wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:

Hehehe. Talking about flat tits and "needing feminism"
http://whoneedsfeminism.tumblr.com/image/40784017419

Signed,
Woman w/ Tiny Tits
She needs to talk to more men. For every guy who is into HUGE BOOBZ, there's one who thinks anything that elevates the nipple is a waste. The idea there's any consensus on boob size is ridiculous.

I have a more practical view: The boobs I have access to are AMAZING AND PERFECT. The others are nice as well, but not as good as the ones I have access to.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote: I have a more practical view: The boobs I have access to are AMAZING AND PERFECT. The others are nice as well, but not as good as the ones I have access to.
By virtue of you having access to them, or intrinsically?

sacha

Post by sacha »

lost control wrote:
Where will it end? PoC? PoDP (People of Darker Pigmentation?, PoFuP: People of Fucked up Pigmentation, i.e. "Whites"?)

Yep, hyperbolic, but fuck it. At some point we'll need a separate dictionary to decipher any sentence that's trying to be PC.

Drunk, laptop battery dying, so I'm out for now, again. But I won't be missed, as I don't provide lulzy material anyway. But thank you all for tagging me along since the beginning of Bad Form....

you provide plenty of lulz, lost control. glad your girl is feeling better.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Mykeru wrote:
debaser71 wrote:ragging = menstruating = emotionally unstable = PMSing = bitchy = cuntlike etc

at least where I live
And where I come from (New York) ragging means to taunt. As in to shred someone. No menstrual implication.
Yup, around here you get 'ragged on' when people, usually your friends(!) start getting on your case (taunting as Mykeru said).

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

Just some boosterism to due to my lack of intellectual gravitas and skills of writing.

Possible tv series?
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5170/alfivles.jpg

If you like the vid Myk please use it. If not, it was still fun making it. Your avatar gave me the vision. Evil it is.
[youtube]XwMmBIxfOr0[/youtube]

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Apples wrote:I don't have the link or screenshot for the Sara/Becky "ragging" kerfuffle, but it sounds like a "niggardly nigger" argument. Yes, ragging/on the rag is slang for menstruating (i.e., you stuff a rag in your panties as an old-fashioned crude sanitary pad). However,

Per the Online Etymology dictionary:

rag (v.): "scold," 1739, of unknown origin; perhaps related to Danish dialectal rag "grudge." Related: Ragged; ragging.

http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed ... hmode=none

But if Brainy Becky wants to argue that the usage "to rag on someone" has something to do with women or menstruation and is therefore sexist, then I suppose we must concede that, and accept the fact that Galileo was executed by John the Other, who threw acid in his face as punishment for his heretical views on evolutionary psychology.
All that before he was finally kneecapped. :whistle:

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Isn't Watson just plain wrong?
Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...no..no..ummmmm, yes!

(sorry, recently watch a Vicar of Dibley marathon)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sKepptiksowat wrote:Just some boosterism to due to my lack of intellectual gravitas and skills of writing.

Possible tv series?

If you like the vid Myk please use it. If not, it was still fun making it. Your avatar gave me the vision. Evil it is.
Oh, I like that. I will work that in. Was that a sort of Being John Malkovich thing with Ophelia Benson's head?

sacha

Post by sacha »

deanesmay wrote:

OK, so, short summary is, anyone who is skeptical or critical of their position is an ORC, ala Lord of the Ring orcs--not, you know, human or anything.
hi Dean

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Gumby wrote:
Zenspace wrote: Can you imagine a conference run by the mods of atheismplus?
Can you imagine the sort of anti-harrassment policy that would be required to placate them?
Something like this, I would guess:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... e0b89a.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not my quote, but yeah, definitely on board with that. Just imagine A+ methodology applied to managing real world situations. :shock:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... atriarchy/
Jason Thibeault wrote:Here’s an interesting app for a number of browsers that lets you, with the click of a button, swap all the pronouns and gendered words (save for slurs, for some reason) in order to get a different perspective on the thing you’re reading. It makes for an interesting juxtaposition to see how male and female politicians are described in general discourse, for instance.
And take any arbitrary story about sexism, and you’ll end up with something that would get MRAs’ blood boiling:
Yesterday, a man by the name of Gabrielle Toledano – evidently a human resources manager for EA games – wrote a rather confusing and deeply problematic op-ed for Forbes outlining why, in his estimation, sexism isn’t responsible for the dearth of men in gaming. To quote his opening remarks:
It’s easy to blame women for not creating an attractive work environment – but I think that’s a cop-out. If we want more men to work in games, we have to recognize that the problem isn’t sexism.
…The issue I have is that the video game industry is being painted as more sexist than other female-dominated workforces. I know sexism exists, but the issue isn’t just in video games. And it’s not what’s holding us back.
Nonetheless, there are still too few men working in my company, so it’s clear there is an issue to fix. Rather than blame the majority just because they are the majority, I believe the solution starts with us – men.
Which is, frankly, one of the most flippant, useless and blithely ignorant summaries of the problem I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter.
Completely changes your perspective on things, doesn’t it?
The original Chrome extension written by Danielle Sucher was also ported to Safari and the cross-platform cross-browser Greasemonkey, so no need to feel left out of the fun.
And there’s also a Jailbreak the Binary app to scrub out all references to gender. Take Katy Perry’s hit:
I kissed a person and I liked it,
the taste of hir cherry chapstick.
I kissed a person just to try it,
I hope my significant other don’t mind it.
I’ve got both installed, and am going to make a point of enabling it on all my posts when doing re-reads of drafts. I think it’ll pay dividends in my writing, possibly.
:violin:

(Seriously, though, but what in the actual fuck?)

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

sKepptiksowat wrote:Just some boosterism to due to my lack of intellectual gravitas and skills of writing.
Mykeru wrote: Oh, I like that. I will work that in. Was that a sort of Being John Malkovich thing with Ophelia Benson's head?
lol, I'll say yes.

The vid is yours. Copyright it and wait for a baboon to use it then...I shouldn't have said that out loud.

The power of Surly compels me.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote: I noticed a very different writing style in WooWoo's post here - I think what we may have is plain, common-or-garden troll rather than angsty teen. Trouble is, I don't want to take the chance of being wrong, so moderation stays in place.
Another clue is that all inquiries as to Da Woo's age apparently fall into a black hole.

I kind of hope the troll hypothesis is disproved (largely for sentimental reasons) but if confirmed it's a specimen of the method-actor sub-species of troll.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Pitchguest wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... atriarchy/
Jason Thibeault wrote:Here’s an interesting app for a number of browsers that lets you, with the click of a button, swap all the pronouns and gendered words (save for slurs, for some reason) in order to get a different perspective on the thing you’re reading. It makes for an interesting juxtaposition to see how male and female politicians are described in general discourse, for instance.
And take any arbitrary story about sexism, and you’ll end up with something that would get MRAs’ blood boiling:
Yesterday, a man by the name of Gabrielle Toledano – evidently a human resources manager for EA games – wrote a rather confusing and deeply problematic op-ed for Forbes outlining why, in his estimation, sexism isn’t responsible for the dearth of men in gaming. To quote his opening remarks:
It’s easy to blame women for not creating an attractive work environment – but I think that’s a cop-out. If we want more men to work in games, we have to recognize that the problem isn’t sexism.
…The issue I have is that the video game industry is being painted as more sexist than other female-dominated workforces. I know sexism exists, but the issue isn’t just in video games. And it’s not what’s holding us back.
Nonetheless, there are still too few men working in my company, so it’s clear there is an issue to fix. Rather than blame the majority just because they are the majority, I believe the solution starts with us – men.
Which is, frankly, one of the most flippant, useless and blithely ignorant summaries of the problem I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter.
The original Chrome extension written by Danielle Sucher was also ported to Safari and the cross-platform cross-browser Greasemonkey, so no need to feel left out of the fun.
And there’s also a Jailbreak the Binary app to scrub out all references to gender. Take Katy Perry’s hit:
I’ve got both installed, and am going to make a point of enabling it on all my posts when doing re-reads of drafts. I think it’ll pay dividends in my writing, possibly.

White Pussy of Authority :o

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

welch wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Breastfeeding.

Yes and no. The modern use is to indicate people who aren't "childless" with the common implication they want kids, but can't have them. It's rather a short way to say "I have no interest whatsoever in having children, and no, I don't actually need to explain it to anyone."

Now, to be correct, a LOT of the childfree folks are as insufferable as vegans who go to a BK and bitch about where the fryer smoke wafts, but that's the current gist of the term.
Ah. The term was new to me, but the clarification is appreciated. Thanks.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

[quote="Richard "Cheney" Carrier]The above post by submariner is almost entirely bullshit. It is full of even more fallacies and falsehoods, and descends into immature name calling. SOP. I let it through moderation solely to show people what sort of people I'm dealing with here.[/quote]

So someone took the time to post a lengthy piece (by blog comments standards) criticizing your knowledge and honesty of events, with links and cited quotes as sources, and this is the tripe you respond with? Combined with the usual moronic one liners you respond with in the commentary areas of your blog, wherein you keep saying people are making fallacies but never point out how or give a substantive counter-points, I'm wondering how someone such as yourself can even call themselves a skeptic.

I swear, you FTB/A+ fuckers always cry foul and wonder why people on the Slymepit and on Twitter mercilessly mock and ridicule you, and so the only recourse is to try and paint us as the scary boogeymisogynists in the closet out to terrorize all of womankind. Your friends are dismayed that virtually every atheist/skeptic vlogger on Youtube who ever mentions FTB and A+, and who isn't on FTB, dismisses your little "movement" (A+ is about like a bowel movement these days). Your crowd pounds away at their their keyboards in anger as they spew poorly thought out diatribes of scorn aimed most of the non-FTB/non-Skepchick atheist/skeptic blogosphere who criticize the way you people run your echochamber hive networks.

But that's the funny thing, isn't it Richard? You people never attack actual arguments. You just keep typing stupid acronyms to make yourself appear to be soooo intellectually superior, and you toss out words like "fallacy" in the same buzzword fashion that the A+ forumers use words like "privilege"; not to attack an actual point or argument, but merely getting your lapdogs to think you've won when you've decided not to engage in a true examination of your position and are trying to avoid opposition. Why is it that people like you never seem to engage with dissenting opinions without the buzzwords, without the memory holes, without the cries of oppression and without the personal attacks? A true "skeptic" would be able to refute an argument with evidence would they not?

sacha

Post by sacha »

welch wrote:
another lurker wrote:The word 'cunt' used to scare me. Quite a bit in fact. The sheer power of it, the contempt. I first heard of the word when I was 15, and it filled me with dread. That was one insult I could never use.

Years later, I wound up on IRC and was sharing a chat channel with a feminist Croatian girl. This girl would not take shit from anyone. She also used 'cunt' all the time. Sometimes she would just type 'cunt', for no apparent reason. She robbed the word of its power. And I thank her for that. "Cunt" was no longer a word that could shut me up, and make me feel 'bad'.

And now, many years later, I visit FTB and suddenly 'cunt' has all the power it once had when I was 15. Power that the word does not deserve. Rather than forcing people to alter their language - especially if they still, inwardly, hold misogynist beliefs - doesn't it make more sense for women to take back the word, and rob if of any dreadful, 'sexist' meaning?

I guess what I am trying to say is, if people are using 'so-called' woman-hating words around me, or just plain vulgarity, would it not be wise to say 'hey, you cannot offend me, you do not have that power over me' than to attempt to get them to *insincerely* 'clean up' their language when around me?

Just my two cents, that's all!

If someone can completely alter your mental and emotional state by the mere utterance of a word, they own you.

Maybe, and this is crazy, but maybe one should be more discriminating in who one gives such control to.
this needed another post

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Possible tv series?

:o Wow! the Stefanelli one is cool, but then Mykeru one is AWESOME!!! :clap:

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

I suppose I should offer up my graphics services as others have. So, if you want me to work on something for your youtube or what have you, pm my ass.

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

Zenspace wrote:
:o Wow! the Stefanelli one is cool, but then Mykeru one is AWESOME!!! :clap:
Thanks Zen. Much appreciated.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

16bitheretic wrote:But that's the funny thing, isn't it Richard? You people never attack actual arguments. You just keep typing stupid acronyms to make yourself appear to be soooo intellectually superior, and you toss out words like "fallacy" in the same buzzword fashion that the A+ forumers use words like "privilege"
This annoys me to no end, especially since there's a list of formal and informal fallacies on Wikipedia. Anything not on that list is not a fallacy.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

ElevatorGATE can be a bit of an idiot at times, but sometimes, he captures some wonderful Baboon bloopers. In this Twitter exchange, Aratina Cage attempts to intimidate Hayley Stevens using the "guilt by association" gambit. Cage is in full throttle mode until Rhys Morgan steps in to defend Hayley. Obviously, this rebuke from one of the Baboon's favourite sons dents the confidence of poor old Cagey, as you can see from his last post!

http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... and-rhysmo

:lol:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

sKepptiksowat wrote:... So, if you want me to work on something for your youtube or what have you, pm my ass.
You have a donkey?

A donkey who takes your messages?

Wow.

That is so cool.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:
welch wrote: I have a more practical view: The boobs I have access to are AMAZING AND PERFECT. The others are nice as well, but not as good as the ones I have access to.
By virtue of you having access to them, or intrinsically?
Both.

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... atriarchy/

That has about as much chance of making his writing better as me painting my dick with airplane paint would help me to fly.

welch

Post by welch »

sKepptiksowat wrote:I suppose I should offer up my graphics services as others have. So, if you want me to work on something for your youtube or what have you, pm my ass.
Bend over bitch, imma PM you like a BOSS!

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:But that's the funny thing, isn't it Richard? You people never attack actual arguments. You just keep typing stupid acronyms to make yourself appear to be soooo intellectually superior, and you toss out words like "fallacy" in the same buzzword fashion that the A+ forumers use words like "privilege"
This annoys me to no end, especially since there's a list of formal and informal fallacies on Wikipedia. Anything not on that list is not a fallacy.
Carrier is one of the ultimate examples of arguing from authority. If you disagree with Richard Carrier, clearly the fault is yours, because Richard Carrier cannot be wrong.

For fuck's sake, read the fucking bio on the page. That tells you everything you'd ever need to know about the unctuous toad.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Apples wrote:I don't have the link or screenshot for the Sara/Becky "ragging" kerfuffle, but it sounds like a "niggardly nigger" argument. Yes, ragging/on the rag is slang for menstruating (i.e., you stuff a rag in your panties as an old-fashioned crude sanitary pad). However,

Per the Online Etymology dictionary:

rag (v.): "scold," 1739, of unknown origin; perhaps related to Danish dialectal rag "grudge." Related: Ragged; ragging.

http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed ... hmode=none

Am I missing something? I have heard "on the rag", but who uses "ragging" to mean menstruating? That's a new one of me. Rag can be slang for a number of things, tabloid newspapers for example. But the meaning of "ragging" is teasing or bullying. I haven't seen a dictionary definition of 'ragging' which says it means menstruating.

Isn't Watson just plain wrong?
One possible answer from
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?all ... hmode=none
If rag-time was called tempo di raga or rague-temps it might win honor more speedily. ... What the derivation of the word is[,] I have not the faintest idea. The negroes call their clog-dancing "ragging" and the dance a "rag." [Rupert Hughes, Boston "Musical Record," April 1900]

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

CommanderTuvok wrote:ElevatorGATE can be a bit of an idiot at times, but sometimes, he captures some wonderful Baboon bloopers. In this Twitter exchange, Aratina Cage attempts to intimidate Hayley Stevens using the "guilt by association" gambit. Cage is in full throttle mode until Rhys Morgan steps in to defend Hayley. Obviously, this rebuke from one of the Baboon's favourite sons dents the confidence of poor old Cagey, as you can see from his last post!

http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... and-rhysmo

:lol:
The Pyt has been elevated (pun intended) to an 'ethos'. Cool! :D

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

KiwiInOz wrote:
sKepptiksowat wrote:... So, if you want me to work on something for your youtube or what have you, pm my ass.
You have a donkey?

Wow.

That is so cool.
As a seminary dropout, I seem to recall something about the Second Coming of Balaam's Talking Ass.

sKepptiksowat

Post by sKepptiksowat »

d4m10n wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
You have a donkey?

Wow.

That is so cool.
As a seminary dropout, I seem to recall something about the Second Coming of Balaam's Talking Ass.
http://www.unlikelypastor.com/wp-conten ... donkey.jpg