The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5582

Post by rayshul »

Pharyngula isn't intimidating. It is repulsive. :)

But I wouldn't go anywhere they didn't treat me like a normal human being.

I am interested in the anecdote about Louis and his wife and the real estate agent which someone else related. Now I'm basing this entire on the anecdote as it was related, so it may not be a realistic picture of the situation... but this is a perfect example of the kind of people I find horrifying. This is the "I am so saddd wahhh there was so much misogynyyyyy and I am going to whine about it on the internetzzzz because that's soooo helpfulllll."

]Why in fuck's name do people not ask why something is happening? Why would you claim somethign is a sign of misogyny if you have no idea what has prompted someone to act in that way? If you are being treated in a way you don't like, why don't you say anything?

I've read so many blog posts by sad womenz who are like, WHY DID THIS MAN NOT LET ME PLAY MAH VIDEO GAME or WHY DID THE MEN NOT LISTEN TO MY IDEAZ. This is shit that NEVER happpens to me, even when I am the youngest person in the room, or the lowest ranked, or the only woman, or the only brown person. BECAUSE if it did happen, I would not accept it. Because I am a person who should be fucking respected and listened to and if someone fails to do it, then THEY HAVE OBVIOUSLY MADE A SILLY MISTAKE that MUST BE RECITIFIED.

Sweet mother of fuck I despise this mentality. I hate it. It's so fucking... weak. You cannot help people like that.

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5583

Post by rayshul »

Tristan wrote:
Louis wrote:I'm picking the side which doesn't think dehumanisation of women is okay.
Dude: neither side thinks dehumanisation of women is OK. One side paints the other side as thinking dehumanisation of women is OK. That's the whole fucking point.
Karmakin says it better than I could.
Not to mention, maybe just speaking for myself, but I highly doubt it, that I think that some of the stuff that you see in the FTB/A+/SJW sphere is actually much more dehumanizing towards women as a group than anything that we could EVER do.

The concept that women are fragile flowers that need to always be protected from anything and everything in the world, quite frankly in terms of dehumanization, is something that would NEVER EVER cross my mind.
I would not go to Pharyngula because their views on women and minorities are offensive and repulsive to me.

justinvacula
.
.
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5584

Post by justinvacula »

Ophelia blogs about the fundraiser to help me attend Women in Secularism 2 (a post in which she links almost an entire Facebook conversation including what seems to be EllenBeth upset about someone asking why I didn't use a picture of a pineapple -- Ophelia's FB avatar -- of Ophelia):

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... forward-to

We already have some gems in the comments:

http://i.imgur.com/HtpSHPW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ARQbGyq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rVT8wyd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZJprlQY.jpg

BTW:
Stochastic terrorism is the use of mass communications to stir up random lone wolves to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable.

mikelf
.
.
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5585

Post by mikelf »

Louis wrote: This is getting much more boring much faster than even I suspected, and I confess I had my suspicions. Isn't there anything more interesting than whinging about PZ/whatever? I'm reading big talk about arguments, tell you what, give me a killer shot, just one really great argument against some claim you think is made at Pharyngula and I'll go and post it over there with full credit, all the disclaimers anything you want. Fair? If PZ bans me, he bans me. He won't, and if it's a good argument, I bet it'll get a good treatment, of not well won't I have to eat humble pie, eh? Come on help me out, you're making me feel bad! I wish I did have an agenda now, it would have been so much easier than actually being curious.
I've got a better idea. Why don't you go pull a Dillahunty over there. Set up a new account at FTB under some generic username utterly unrelated to "Louis" and then disagree, oh so mildly, with one of PZs posts and see what happens. Before you do, though, share the new username in confidence with Phil. After the entire episode is over, Phil can reveal the username you were posting under and we can see who is right and who is wrong about Pharyngula.

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5586

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Proof that stereotypes can be bullshit. I saw this truck in the parking lot of the local Kroger where I live in Georgia. I fully expected your run-of-the-mill redneck to step out of this baby.

It ended up being an older black guy.

http://www.alstefanelli.com/TPE.jpg

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5587

Post by rayshul »

Fuck. That anecdote actually annoyed me.

People who get treated in a way they don't find acceptable and shout SOCIETY IS EVIL PATRIARCHY a few weeks later to unrelated people instead of asking politely for what they want.

Metalogic42
.
.
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5588

Post by Metalogic42 »

So now A+ has a topic called "Social-justice-aware eating". Yeah, out of all the possible social issues they could be discussing, now they're talking about food. It's like they're trying to touch on every aspect of someone's life. It reminds me of this:
Rush wrote:We've taken care of everything
The words you hear, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

Reap
.
.
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm
Location: Reno Nevada
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5589

Post by Reap »

Louis wrote:Re: the picking sides and dehumanisation thing, you've all (so far) missed my point! It was contained in the bit UNDER the bit Phil quoted!

Do I think all 'pitters are raving misogynists etc? No of course I bloody don't, said that already, keep up. I've already said I don't think this is about "sides", it's about facts and ethics etc. Here it is again:
But then I don't have to pick a fucking side. This is not a team game. This is about reality. It's about data, and science, and reason. It's about the ethics of the Enlightenment. Can I demonstrate my claims or not, can I support my arguments or not, can I act in such a way as to avoid the maximum amount of damage to others for the minimum inconvenience, can I recognise the value of the person in front of me irrespective of their social status, are their arguments good etc? It's not hard!
Speaking purely for myself, the only "problem" I have with the Slymepit (isn't it obvious yet I don't have a problem with some fictional collective?) extends only to the people I have seen post at Pharyngula who self identified as people from here.

I do have one real problem though. I've invested a bit of my Saturday night posting here, and thus far the majority of the {ahem} discussion has been about Teh Meeness (TM) of PZ/FTB/Whoever. I just don't care. It's an irrelevance. It's bread and fucking circuses. You are distracting yourselves for some reason, or you are being distracted. What matters, and I hope what will happen when Metalogic42 and Za-zen demolish my feeble feminist brain with their AWESUM, are the matters of substance. Is claim X true, not is whoever said claim X an arsehole. What consequences does this have etc. You know the interesting stuff. Thus far too much "Defend PZ or be damned" nonsense. I speak for ME. Period. End of story. I like PZ, I also like Phil. I disagree with them both about different things.. Oh my lack of god that looks almost like nuance. Fuck me deftly there it is.

Oh by the way, Phil should have warned you I am a sarcastic fucker and my tolerance limit is almost zero. ;-)
Are you the same Louis who hangs out with PZ for his google rhetoric sessions? Couldn't be, you said you were sarcastic and that dude in the video...just ...Eh, no matter. My thoughts on this would not be changed by your answer.
Did you just become involved in skepticism/atheism? Are you new to the whole 'infighting' conflict? No. You aren't. So quit acting like you are an innocent little creature who just wants to understand everyone and then look at us and say "PZ? PZ Myers? Is he bad? No noes please tell me why." If you can't tell there is something that smells like long dead squid at PZ's blog then no one here will be able to help you. All you need to do is read a few posts these days to get the picture. I will bore you with the details about why I think PZ is a dick. He called me a racist/sexist because I called Stephanie Zvan a bad word (bitch but she has been upgraded to dick) I defended myself against his libelous banter on his blog (also told brownian the truth his mother always avoided. His brain was adopted by a nice couple in Vermont but the rest of his body was left behind) PZ bans me then goes on talking shit without allowing me to reply. THAT IS WHY I go in under different email addys. (I'm up to 5 not 13) because PZ isn't gonna get to keep on with business as usual anymore. Now it is open season on him as far as I'm concerned. I will annoy, critique and ridicule him as I see fit and anyone who doesn't like it is free not to do it but stay off my back about it.
Now let's get to the real flaw in logic that will probably be the one thing remembered after PZ is forgotten. He has condemned this entire forum of 500+ and labeled it sexist, misogynistic, racist, MRA scumbag assholes. He applies this title to anyone who posts here. The funny thing about it? You have posted here and are now one of us and PZ thinks the same of you. Do you feel any difference? Welcome to the abyss, the pit of hell we call- common fucking sense.I don't understand exactly why you are here. It almost seems like you feel we are supposed to entertain you cause you are bored. Go play with your hand.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5590

Post by Mykeru »

another lurker wrote:Now they are going after ERV

[spoiler]http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-539418
smearing erv.gif
[/spoiler]
We treat ERV as the "queen bee special snowflake"?

Jesus Fucking Christ, you can just cut that projection with a butter-knife. So much of their "criticism", from both men and women, is pretty much the sexist stereotype of a group of women who go in a catty herd to the powder room to bitch about a woman more attractive and accomplished than they are. Which is pretty much everyone.

decius
.
.
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5591

Post by decius »

He's just cunt-struck by Peezus (not that he would admit it). It happens to hero-worshipping pseudo-skeptics. Fine bigfoot and god debunkers, but don't give them any problem which involves deep introspection to overcome their own cognitive biases.
The equidistant attitude is a good opt out.
I believe Phil when he says that he is a good person. He just isn't much of a thinker.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5592

Post by Lsuoma »

Mykeru wrote:
another lurker wrote:Now they are going after ERV

[spoiler]http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-539418
smearing erv.gif
[/spoiler]
We treat ERV as the "queen bee special snowflake"?

Jesus Fucking Christ, you can just cut that projection with a butter-knife. So much of their "criticism", from both men and women, is pretty much the sexist stereotype of a group of women who go in a catty herd to the powder room to bitch about a woman more attractive and accomplished than they are. Which is pretty much everyone.
I was just going to post that this was projection, but you beat me to it.

Also, they desperately overestimate the amount of time that Abbie spends on the Pit (or me, for that matter). Also, The original threads at ERV hummed along very nicely with - and this is an estimate - Abbie posting quite a bit less than 1% of the entries.

I'm also very upset that I've not been mentioned as an enabler of this terrible misogyny, etc. After all, it's my $$$$ that keep the Pit from disappearing. How about some of that high-class hate coming at me, huh guys?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5593

Post by Lsuoma »

decius wrote:He's just cunt-struck by Peezus (not that he would admit it). It happens to hero-worshipping pseudo-skeptics. Fine bigfoot and god debunkers, but don't give them any problem which involves deep introspection to overcome their own cognitive biases.
The equidistant attitude is a good opt out.
I believe Phil when he says that he is a good person. He just isn't much of a thinker.
I'm not going to discount him, since at least he made the effort to come here, but I don't think he left enough of his preconceptions behind. I don't think he was being actively dishonest. Maybe he ought to come back and re-read the exchanges, and see if there are other interpretations he could come up with for his interlocuters' posts.

Mark Neil
.
.
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5594

Post by Mark Neil »

justinvacula wrote:[spoiler]Ophelia blogs about the fundraiser to help me attend Women in Secularism 2 (a post in which she links almost an entire Facebook conversation including what seems to be EllenBeth upset about someone asking why I didn't use a picture of a pineapple -- Ophelia's FB avatar -- of Ophelia):

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... forward-to

We already have some gems in the comments:

http://i.imgur.com/HtpSHPW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ARQbGyq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rVT8wyd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZJprlQY.jpg

BTW:
Stochastic terrorism is the use of mass communications to stir up random lone wolves to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable.
[/spoiler]
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424874

"I fucking hate these people."

Wasn't louis just accusing the pit of fostering hatred of others?

SkepticalCat
.
.
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 pm
Location: Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5595

Post by SkepticalCat »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Setar just keeps delivering:
Setar wrote:Why? Apparently, because we're progressive, support progressive causes, and will in fact die on that fucking hill. Like, REALLY die on that fucking hill, the hill of smiting privilege and creating a just society. Not only is dying on that hill wrong, even apparently going up the hill is too much for most people and every step up we take we suddenly get people turning around and complaining that the hill is too steep even though we're all tied together (and yet, the complainers sometimes utterly refuse to cut the rope tying them to the rest of us, even when they make the motions of sawing away).
If any of the newcomers are wondering about the hill to which Setar is referring, it's this one:

[spoiler]http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.12551936 ... ,075,f.jpg[/spoiler]

decius
.
.
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5596

Post by decius »

Lsuoma wrote: I don't think he was being actively dishonest.
Nor do I. That's how blinding cognitive biases work.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5597

Post by Lsuoma »

Mark Neil wrote:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424874

"I fucking hate these people."

Wasn't louis just accusing the pit of fostering hatred of others?
Oh, FFS, Neil - get with the program! OF COURSE we're fostering hatred of others. Unless we FORCED them to hate people, all the FfTB commentariat would just luuuuurve everyone on the planet. What are you, stoopid or summat?


debaser71
.
.
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5599

Post by debaser71 »

"epitome of personal attacks"

Michael J
.
.
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5600

Post by Michael J »

I've seen Louis argue the same things at ATBC (and flounced from there).

To be charitable - I think it is like being the member of some kind of club or sporting team in a small town where the other team mates are racists. You grin and bear it or at most protest weakly because you are worried about being kicked off the team.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5601

Post by Lsuoma »

[quote="justinvacula"[spoiler]]http://i.imgur.com/bKPaeLF.jpg[/spoiler][/quote]
I'm surprised these fucking pussies can even dare to open their eyes every morning, in case the boogerman gets them.

I would LOVE to hear how Carlin would have dealt with them. That would have been worth hearing, and no mistake.

Today, maybe, Stephen Fry? Or Hitch, if he was still around. In days past, Mencken, Wilde, Swift. Oh, the Huge Zvanity!

Apologies if I appear somewhat random, but I am salving my "still in Las Fucking Vegas" hurt with a couple of bottle of Hellhound on my Ale sent over to me by my dear wife...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5602

Post by Lsuoma »

And we're getting very close to the 50,000th post. Don't forget that there is a special prize for the person that bags that one!

decius
.
.
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5603

Post by decius »

Lsuoma wrote:And we're getting very close to the 50,000th post. Don't forget that there is a special prize for the person that bags that one!
I'll stay out of this, in case it involves white cocks.

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5604

Post by rayshul »

decius wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: I don't think he was being actively dishonest.
Nor do I. That's how blinding cognitive biases work.
I think his comment about teaching people the "basics" about how to treat women is very telling. From what people have tried to poke out of him, it does sound like he was refering to the great patriarchy privilege rape culture trinity of stupidity. When people buy into that insanity I don't think it's possible to snap them out of it - I haven't really seen anyone who believes in it manage to crawl out of the cult yet. And I'm absolutely certain I would have probably fallen for it if I wasn't a woman and therefore had a... uh, basic understanding of what it's like to be a woman in the West. (It's pretty good, as it happens.)

He's not apparently able to see that the 'pit treats women like human beings. Conversations about "controversial" issues aren't stopped because women might be upset by them. Women are challenged in the same way to interact and stand up for themselves. Women don't get any special treatment nor gain any special points for being a chick (except in that they can easily refute points from FtB et al who believe that being a chick means you think in a specific way and experience the world in a specific way). Women are allowed to have different opinions and to agree with the opinions of men. Women can talk about sex, about their tits, about whatever they fucking want without shame. This is what equality looks like - a lot of people interacting with different views in one space and getting kudos on the basis of their arguments. And I have zero doubt that women here, if they felt they were being treated with kid gloves by other members, would have something to say about it. SOMETHING LOUD, no doubt.

Mykeru
.
.
Posts: 4758
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5605

Post by Mykeru »

SkepticalCat wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Setar just keeps delivering:
Setar wrote:Why? Apparently, because we're progressive, support progressive causes, and will in fact die on that fucking hill. Like, REALLY die on that fucking hill, the hill of smiting privilege and creating a just society. Not only is dying on that hill wrong, even apparently going up the hill is too much for most people and every step up we take we suddenly get people turning around and complaining that the hill is too steep even though we're all tied together (and yet, the complainers sometimes utterly refuse to cut the rope tying them to the rest of us, even when they make the motions of sawing away).
If any of the newcomers are wondering about the hill to which Setar is referring, it's this one:

[spoiler]http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.12551936 ... ,075,f.jpg[/spoiler]
Not as heroic a proposition as they imagine:

[spoiler][youtube]nZwmPMzK8Uk[/youtube][/spoiler]

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7990
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5606

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:Fuck. That anecdote actually annoyed me.

People who get treated in a way they don't find acceptable and shout SOCIETY IS EVIL PATRIARCHY a few weeks later to unrelated people instead of asking politely for what they want.
For some reason I was reminded of something concerning attitudes and norms:

Back in the 70s when I was still a card carrying feminist I went with a girlfriend to the dealer when she was buying a new car.

I lost count of the number of times I told the salesman not to talk to me because she was buying the car, and I was never going to drive it. This being Canukistan I was polite and so was she. But eventually he got the message, after my telling him what felt like 30 times.

Fast forward some years later and I did the same with my wife and another female. This time, as soon as the salesman was told I was not buying but both the women were he ignored me completely.

I do not have anything profound to add, but I do remember at the time feeling an immense amount of satisfaction at how far "we" had come in so short a period of time.

Of course, that was then, nowadays I feel as if we are all going to hell in a handbasket. But that may be because I am now in the process of staking a claim in old codger camp.

Michael K Gray
.
.
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5607

Post by Michael K Gray »

Metalogic42 wrote:So now A+ has a topic called "Social-justice-aware eating". Yeah, out of all the possible social issues they could be discussing, now they're talking about food.
Religions are renowned for applying arbitrary taboos on foodstuffs!
With only a few exceptions, such as the Raelians. Who, by any measure are far saner than the tragic bloody galahs at A☦Theism.

A☦Theism have:
Persecution & Oppression Complexes.
An Inviolable Dogma.
A Privileged Hierarchy or Priesthood.
Sexual Taboos.
Ritual Prayers.
Heretics.
A Holy Book. (Animal Farm)
Magic Words and Incantations.
The concept of Spiritual Contamination.
Shunning.
Scape-goating.
Self-flagellation Rituals.
A Secret Inner Sanctum.
Ritual flesh eating.
Reflexive Chanting & Praising.
Cutting themselves off from the rest of society.
"Othering" people who are not strictly like them.
Forming ever-shrinking splinter groups.
etc...

And they wonder why normal people label them as another silly religious cult!

decius
.
.
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5608

Post by decius »

rayshul wrote:
He's not apparently able to see that the 'pit treats women like human beings. Conversations about "controversial" issues aren't stopped because women might be upset by them. Women are challenged in the same way to interact and stand up for themselves. Women don't get any special treatment nor gain any special points for being a chick (except in that they can easily refute points from FtB et al who believe that being a chick means you think in a specific way and experience the world in a specific way). Women are allowed to have different opinions and to agree with the opinions of men. Women can talk about sex, about their tits, about whatever they fucking want without shame. This is what equality looks like - a lot of people interacting with different views in one space and getting kudos on the basis of their arguments. And I have zero doubt that women here, if they felt they were being treated with kid gloves by other members, would have something to say about it. SOMETHING LOUD, no doubt.
All the above is the norm in most places I know. It takes a warped mind to believe in the myth of the patriarchy.

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5609

Post by rayshul »

AndrewV69 wrote:Fast forward some years later and I did the same with my wife and another female. This time, as soon as the salesman was told I was not buying but both the women were he ignored me completely.

I do not have anything profound to add, but I do remember at the time feeling an immense amount of satisfaction at how far "we" had come in so short a period of time.

Of course, that was then, nowadays I feel as if we are all going to hell in a handbasket. But that may be because I am now in the process of staking a claim in old codger camp.
We're doing pretty well, aren't we! Or we were until the SJW cray-cray set in.

My mother expressed far more feminist sentiments when I was growing up in the late 80s/90s - and I did recognise the issues she brought up then. It's a very different world now and her views matured with them; we rarely discuss anything like that now because it is no longer an issue.

Guessed
.
.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5610

Post by Guessed »

This was from a Pharyngula thread posted a few pages back but made me lols:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mg2zbm.png

and
PZ wrote:Well, heck. Maybe if they get enough money, they can send JohnTheOther and Roosh and Paul Elam and a few other MRAs to the event, too.

It’s kind of like having creationists show up at an evolution event. They’ll just be regarded with pitying contempt.
Or kind of like having evolutionists turn up at a creation museum? derp

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5611

Post by rayshul »

decius wrote:
rayshul wrote:
He's not apparently able to see that the 'pit treats women like human beings. Conversations about "controversial" issues aren't stopped because women might be upset by them. Women are challenged in the same way to interact and stand up for themselves. Women don't get any special treatment nor gain any special points for being a chick (except in that they can easily refute points from FtB et al who believe that being a chick means you think in a specific way and experience the world in a specific way). Women are allowed to have different opinions and to agree with the opinions of men. Women can talk about sex, about their tits, about whatever they fucking want without shame. This is what equality looks like - a lot of people interacting with different views in one space and getting kudos on the basis of their arguments. And I have zero doubt that women here, if they felt they were being treated with kid gloves by other members, would have something to say about it. SOMETHING LOUD, no doubt.
All the above is the norm in most places I know. It takes a warped mind to believe in the myth of the patriarchy.
True, that. The world described by FtB and other internet feminist groups seems completely at odds with the universe I live in.

Although I did mention there are things I see as examples of patriarchal behavior in rocko's patriarchy thread (off the periodic table) but these are mainly around the continued infantilisation of women - which the feminists rail against (rightfully) in issues like abortion rights, but support when it comes to treating women like children in social situations.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5612

Post by Lsuoma »

Hey aweraw

Just wanted to apologize for being short with you a few days ago about the Pit and the subreddit. I admit I was feeling pissed because I thought you were commandeering the Pit label for something that was fundamentally different in structure and presentation, compared to this place.

Thanks for not flouncing, and keep up the good work. There are people (like yourself) who prefer that sort of thing to the Pit, but I want to make sure that the anarchy and wildness we have here are preserved until there are no longer any people who get benefit from this style.

It's not a matter of traffic - I got my AdSense account close for alleged click fraud with a couple of hundred $$$ due me, and if it was running today I'd be grabbing somewhere between $4-500/day based on views: it's simply the style and the fact that this is self-contained. It's not part of anything larger, and can't be characterized beyond what it actually is.

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest. If there's anything I can help you with, please ask me.

Lsuoma

Lurkion
.
.
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5613

Post by Lurkion »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

(from OB's latest post on her acid tweet)
Jeremy Stangroom is persona non grata? When I read that quote I thought his name sounded familiar.
Is this the guy who wrote a couple books with Ophelia? The guy who "is also co-founder, with Ophelia Benson of the website 'Butterflies and Wheels'." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Stangroom)

I thought I knew the back story of almost all of this drama's characters, but how the hell did this guy enter the list of bad people, along with "evil names" like Justicar and Thunderfoot? I would have imagined he was Ophelia's friend.
I believe Stangroom's status has been established due to the whole "Uglies v pretties" thing OB put up a few days back. She's quoted him as saying:
@PhilosophyExp I wonder if it’s a coincidence that many of the “chill girls” who are vilified (for no good reason) happen to be very attractive…
I'm a few pages behind (because I sleep) but Strangroom was persona non grata long before that. I had an exchange with him earlier than that tweet about OB and he said something like it was a long story.

Michael K Gray
.
.
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5614

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:And I have zero doubt that women here, if they felt they were being treated with kid gloves by other members, would have something to say about it. SOMETHING LOUD, no doubt.
What, like "Yeah baby, rub those gloves on me one more time! Oooh!", only very loudly?

justinvacula
.
.
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5615

Post by justinvacula »

Guessed wrote:This was from a Pharyngula thread posted a few pages back but made me lols:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mg2zbm.png

and
PZ wrote:Well, heck. Maybe if they get enough money, they can send JohnTheOther and Roosh and Paul Elam and a few other MRAs to the event, too.

It’s kind of like having creationists show up at an evolution event. They’ll just be regarded with pitying contempt.
Or kind of like having evolutionists turn up at a creation museum? derp
"Millions" dying to witch hunts? Gallileo was...

oh, nevermind. Let's just let the expert Brian Pavlac answer this:

http://departments.kings.edu/womens_his ... l#Millions
#6. Millions of people died because of the Witch Hunts.

FACT: While millions of people might have been affected, the best estimates of recent historians range from 50,000 to 200,000 dead.

COMMENTARY: The earlier estimates, too often the figure of 9 to 10 million dead is cited, were grossly exaggerated; no respectable historian supports them anymore. Modern figures concerning the number of executed witches are based on a much closer examination of the surviving historical records, combined with reasonable guesswork and statistical analysis for those areas and periods lacking clear sources. The hunts were anything but constant, systematic or frequent.

That some villages were wiped out by witch hunters is also an exaggeration. There is little evidence for such devastation. One extreme example is reported from 1589, where only two women were left in one village in the Trier diocese after a hunt (Wolfang Behringer, ed. Hexen und Hexenprozesse in Deutschland, 4th ed. (Munich: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, 2000), 205, #124). But that left the men. In any case, such thoroughness and ferocity were extremely rare. Further, any particular area had hunts irregularly, and many regions had no hunts at all.

Even the much lower figure of under 50,000 dead would have meant over a hundred thousand put on trial. Then, considering all the personnel involved in the justice system as court officials and witnesses, friends and family members, and those who even felt the "fear" caused by the hunts, millions of peoples lives changed, usually for the worse, because of the witch hunts.

rayshul
.
.
Posts: 4871
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5616

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:And I have zero doubt that women here, if they felt they were being treated with kid gloves by other members, would have something to say about it. SOMETHING LOUD, no doubt.
What, like "Yeah baby, rub those gloves on me one more time! Oooh!", only very loudly?
HAHAHAH.

Metalogic42
.
.
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5617

Post by Metalogic42 »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:So now A+ has a topic called "Social-justice-aware eating". Yeah, out of all the possible social issues they could be discussing, now they're talking about food.
Religions are renowned for applying arbitrary taboos on foodstuffs!
With only a few exceptions, such as the Raelians. Who, by any measure are far saner than the tragic bloody galahs at A☦Theism.

A☦Theism have:
Persecution & Oppression Complexes.
An Inviolable Dogma.
A Privileged Hierarchy or Priesthood.
Sexual Taboos.
Ritual Prayers.
Heretics.
A Holy Book. (Animal Farm)
Magic Words and Incantations.
The concept of Spiritual Contamination.
Shunning.
Scape-goating.
Self-flagellation Rituals.
A Secret Inner Sanctum.
Ritual flesh eating.
Reflexive Chanting & Praising.
Cutting themselves off from the rest of society.
"Othering" people who are not strictly like them.
Forming ever-shrinking splinter groups.
etc...

And they wonder why normal people label them as another silly religious cult!
I can see what you're talking about with the bolded items, but the analogies to the unbolded ones escape me. Can you clarify?

justinvacula
.
.
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5618

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/3oBt4aJ.jpg

Oh, yes, the protesters screaming "fucking scum," "fuck Warren Farrell," and "rape apologist" were really goaded...especially by the man who wanted to hear Farell because his male friends committed suicide!

[youtube]iARHCxAMAO0[/youtube]

Anyway, I think we have the first conspiracy theory here - that I am attending this event to be a hero to those at A Voice for Men and that I intend to "cause a scene" to "goad people into a rage."

I wonder why I didn't "cause a scene" or "goad people into a rage" when I met PZ Myers at American Atheists' 2012 conference, shook his hand, and had a photo taken with him following his lauding my activism and posting about it on his blog. I wonder why I didn't "cause a scene" at the Reason Rally, while on speaking on a panel at the 2012 Secular Student Alliance, while speaking at the 2012 PA State Atheist/Humanist Conference, and all of the other events I attended and spoke at. Hmm...I suppose I have a 'scene trigger' or something?

http://i.imgur.com/Xo8qhQc.jpg

Lurkion
.
.
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

#5619

Post by Lurkion »

Gumby wrote:Ophelia shit-canned our comments without them seeing the light of day. Figures. And after she lamely tries to defend her OP, she starts the "pitters are dangerous!!!!111!" hysteria again:
But there is a background idea here, yes. It is that what the people engaged in this endless non-stop hate campaign are doing is dangerous. Not figuratively dangerous but literally dangerous. Yes, I am in fact afraid that they are going to get each other so worked up about us that one day someone will do something violent. Yes, that’s what I think. I think they’re playing with fire, and that we’re the ones who will be burned by the fire. I think it’s reckless and irresponsible to work up systematic hatred in this way. I think most of them are intelligent enough to realize that.

A couple of them turned up here to tell us that the people at the mildew pit are all very against this acid threat business. Apparently we’re supposed to be impressed. I’m not the least bit impressed. The acid threat is the direct result of their incitement.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424314

No, you stupid hysterical moron. It's not "hate" coming from us, and no one incites anyone to do anything here. Prove Conlon said what he said because the Slymepit exists. Give your evidence, instead of just smearing. Yeah, we know, you can't. You have nothing but propaganda, you never had anything else.

We are here solely to call you and your fellow thugs out in your lies, and laugh at you while doing so. The way you spin it, we're all sitting here daring each other to go on a rampage. How fucking foolish. Why don't you be honest for once in your life and just admit that there are people who disagree with you, rather than to try to portray everyone who doesn't suck up to you as a potentially dangerous psychopath teetering on the brink of a spree? Don't you understand that there are plenty of people on both sides of this chasm that are perfectly capable of thinking and researching for themselves, people who will see exactly the bullshit smear campaign you're trying to perpetrate here? You're sinking faster than a rock in a pond.

Fuck you, you lying fucking cunt.
And then this is what happens when she plays the game the way she's played it: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-424338

"Hey, Ophelia, it's so weird that they would raise acid attacks after this recent event! How odd!"

She's a lying cow and they just gobble it up. Morons.

Locked