The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Zenspace

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Zenspace »

[spoiler]
Al Stefanelli wrote:Sorry if this is a repost. I am about ten pages behind and probably will not catch up until the weekend is done.

Has anyone seen the Change dot Org petition in the form of a letter to,

"The Leaders of Atheist, Skeptical and Secular Groups: Support Feminism and Diversity in the Secular Community"

The petition is by Adam Lee, and singles out Thunderf00t. The petition reads:

[spoiler]To:

Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, Co-presidents, Freedom from Religion Foundation
Ronald Lindsay, President, Center for Inquiry
Rebecca Hale, President, American Humanist Association
David Silverman, President, American Atheists
David Niose, President, Secular Coalition for America
August Brunsman, Executive Director, Secular Student Alliance
D.J. Grothe, President, James Randi Educational Foundation
Elisabeth Cornwell, Executive Director, Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

We, the undersigned, are atheists, skeptics and nonbelievers who value free speech and rational thought and who seek to build a strong, thriving movement that can advocate effectively for these values. We've chosen to put our names to this petition because we want to respond to a video created by a blogger calling himself Thunderfoot. In this video, Thunderfoot attacks named individuals who've been active in promoting diversity and fighting sexism and harassment in our movement. He describes these people as "whiners" and "ultra-PC professional victims" who are "dripp[ing] poison" into the secular community, and urges conference organizers to shun and ignore them.

We hold this and similar complaints from other individuals to be seriously misguided, false in their particulars and harmful to the atheist community as a whole, and we want to set the record straight. We wish to clarify that Thunderfoot and those like him don't speak for us or represent us, and to state our unequivocal support for the following goals:

* We support making the atheist movement more diverse and inclusive. It's long been clear that the skeptical movement has a preponderance of white men. While we don't disdain their participation, we believe skepticism is valuable and important to people in all walks of life, and in accordance with that principle, we consider it vital to have a movement that reflects the demographics of the society we live in. If our community continues to be dominated by white men, it will become increasingly out-of-touch and irrelevant as Western society becomes increasingly multiracial and multicultural and as non-Western countries gain economic and cultural power.

To that end, we urge the atheist and skeptical organizations to make a conscious commitment to diversity: to intentionally reach out to people of all ages, genders and ethnic backgrounds to speak at our conventions, to serve on our boards of directors, and to be the public faces and representatives of skepticism. We believe that there are talented, dedicated and eminently qualified people of every gender and every race, and that seeking them out will strengthen our movement and broaden its appeal.

* We support strong, sensible anti-harassment policies at our gatherings. There have been too many instances of people at atheist conferences reporting bad behavior and unwelcome conduct by fellow attendees. When it's repetitive or especially egregious, this unwelcome conduct may rise to the level of harassment, defined as behavior intended to demean, threaten or intimidate others. We hold that preventing harassment is a legitimate and obvious goal for conference organizers, and that this can be done through the implementation of fairly simple and well-tested conduct policies.

We want to encourage robust debate over opinions and beliefs, as a good rational community should, and we believe that the wide adoption of anti-harassment policies advances this goal by fostering a rational atmosphere of civility and respect, where all people can express their opinions freely and feel comfortable in doing so. We applaud the conferences and organizations that have already created model policies in this regard, and we urge others to do likewise.

* We support the people in our community who've been the target of bullying, harassment and threats. Outside the conference environment, there are prominent members of the atheist community (including most of the people named in Thunderfoot's video) who've been subjected to a vicious and persistent campaign of online harassment, including obsessive streams of slurs and invective, threatening messages, sexually-tinged taunting, and malicious impersonation on social media, all carried out with the goal of bullying them into silence. We stand shoulder-to-shoulder in support of the people who've been harassed in this way, and forcefully and unequivocally condemn those who've carried out the harassment. Unless they change their ways and make amends, they have no place within the movement.

To put a stop to this bad behavior once and for all, we need to change the culture of the atheist movement so that sexism isn't condoned or defended, just as racism and homophobia aren't condoned or defended. We're grateful to the leaders of the movement who've spoken out against harassment, and we encourage all atheists and skeptics, regardless of their influence or prominence, to do likewise.
Sincerely,
[Your name][/spoiler]

There have been a couple of selected comments posted, but that is the first full text version I've seen, though I may have missed a post somewhere. It is the usual, one sided, whitewashed, propagandist bull I've come to expect from Mr. Lee. Someone else commented he is working overtime to hang on to his coveted 'favored convention speaker' status and, boy, isn't that written all over this addition. I used to like his blog, but he's just an FtB/Skepchick lapdog these days, as I think you learned recently.

decius

Post by decius »

Tkmlac wrote: . AronRa, tf00t and Matt Dillahunty. I hate the tribalism that has pitted some against another and what not. I won't ever completely agree with any of them on feminism, but I don't follow them for that and still have a lot of respect for all three.
Dillahunty is officially an arse.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

decius wrote:
AronRa wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:It looks like Aron Ra has finally accepted the FTB/Skepchick kool-aid and posted a defense of all things Twatson.
Really? When did I do that?
He classes patriarchy deniers with moon landing deniers and holocaust deniers.
I never did that either.
Because obviously there is as much evidence for patriarchy as there is for the holocaust, but if you ask to see it you're a misogynist.
I don't know what you're talking about, and I think that makes two of us.
He also tries to smear Tf00t by associating him with trolls who have posted in the comments of his youtube vids.
Wrong again. Wouldn't think of it. I have many criticisms of Thunder's arguments on this topic, but so far I have taken all of them to him directly. I may do so again, only in a public forum this time, but still on the terms of two-way conversation in real time. Whether that discussion will happen hasn't yet been negotiated.
Cunty Windbag.

It's pretty obvious what was misattributed to whom and how easily that could occur, since it's hosted on your fucking blog.

A single line minus the smug pomposity could have clarified the issue. Go back to the baboon enclosure, before Lord Peezus sees you here.
Ever notice you can always tell the self-important windbags by their having rules of engagement longer than a counter-terrorism team going into an nunnery orphanage?

Well, yes, I will engage you, but only on alternate tuesdays ... at night...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... izzbin.jpg

"The odds of getting a Royal Fizzbin are astronomical..."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Alright, my two posts on Adam's blog. Let's see how long they last. Going to freezepage just in case, but here they are:

First.
Second.

Hmm. Seems the freezepage option doesn't support JavaScript, so you can't view the comments.

fake edit: made a third post while making this one,

Third.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Lsuoma wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:Trying to post here using my notebook. Getting returns showing IP blocked for spamming. Funny. It shares the same broadband connection as my mobile device. (tether)
Weird.
Can admin drop me some advice on this or. . . . . anyone here who's seen this sort of thing before?
Same broadband connection != same IP address. Let me know the IP, and I'll take a look. PM, please.
Thanks for replying so swiftly.
I fixed the problem on my end but if it happens again i will PM you the IP and the error messages.
Thanks Lsuoma (and others)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I just got a tweet regarding this whole "fight back against pressure to define atheism as a club only for misogynists". She stated that it's these kinds of statements that are keeping closeted atheists *in the closet* as well as pushing some of them back in. That, by itself, is fucking sad. Amanda Marcotte and her ilk need to reevaluate and possibly shut the fuck up about things they are merely speculating/blowing out of their asses.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BarnOwl wrote:The photoshopped images are my favorite thing about the Slymepit.

Please don't change your photoshopping ways, Slymepit.
http://i.imgur.com/uXbin.jpg

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Pitchguest wrote:Alright, my two posts on Adam's blog. Let's see how long they last. Going to freezepage just in case, but here they are:

First.
Second.

Hmm. Seems the freezepage option doesn't support JavaScript, so you can't view the comments.

Third.
Keep us in the loop as to how that goes. I've heard he has adopted the censorship practices of his new overlords. I won't go to his page to give him the hits. Screencap maybe?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

codelette wrote:Regarding the supposed sexism on the "CyberPunk 2077" trailer, at least people complaining can say stuff like "boobs". But, where's the rape culture in this video?
[youtube]rmx4twCK3_I[/youtube]

Melissa McEwan wrote the following turd:
[Content Note: Rape culture.]

I've been meaning for ages to post about this State Farm advert, which I see constantly, and makes my teeth grind every damn time.
[...]
At that moment, we know the man who has arrived to take Jane on a date is a liar who has manipulated her into a date with false information—and that the trusting Jane is evidently too naïve to detect nakedly fraudulent claims. And as he gives a skeevy grin to Mike, Jane's neighbor and apparent friend, that conveys his intentions, Mike merely gazes back at him nonchalantly.

Because that's what guys do, amirite? Bros before hos. I mean, shit, it's like the hugest violation of the Man Code ever to cockblock a total stranger who is almost certainly going to rape your friend.

All of this is played for laughs. And the context in which it is supposed to be funny is a rape culture that tells the damnable lies that coercive sex is not rape, that rape is vanishingly rare, that this scenario is absurd, that it is so far removed from any reality that it's okay to laugh at the creepy man who is luring Jane on a date under false pretenses.

Yeah. Somehow I'm not laughing.

Yep.
First, how the fuck is this related to "rape culture"? Did the guy at the end throw the woman down and have sex with her? Nope. Second, I've actually known some women and men this fucking stupid. Of course, up until the point the person showed up. Still. Melissa is an idiot, clearly.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... izzbin.jpg

"The odds of getting a Royal Fizzbin are astronomical..."
I totally snipped out everything else except this picture. And because of this, Mykeru, you have my undying and unrequited love until the end of time :D

codelette

Post by codelette »

Pitchguest wrote:Alright, my two posts on Adam's blog. Let's see how long they last. Going to freezepage just in case, but here they are:

First.
Second.

Third.
Lets see the difference between Adam Lee and DJ Grothe...
http://i.imgur.com/4NgZ7.png
http://i.imgur.com/MESt0.png
Right after the last exchange, Adam Lee blocked me on Twitter.

The other day, an exchange with DJ:
http://i.imgur.com/9IBuD.png
http://i.imgur.com/CEW5E.png

And that, children, is the difference between a dogmatic little asshole and a skeptic.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Dick Strawkins wrote: http://i.imgur.com/kuuU6.jpg
I thought that was Ophelia Benson's wet dream?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

We support making the atheist movement more diverse and inclusive.
http://i.imgur.com/KAUdK.jpg

Yeah, check out that blinding white mayo-eating diversity.

decius

Post by decius »

Mykeru wrote: Ever notice you can always tell the self-important windbags by their having rules of engagement longer than a counter-terrorism team going into an nunnery orphanage?
Aye. Also, you can spot them from miles away and/or as soon as they open their mouth.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mykeru wrote: Yeah, check out that blinding white mayo-eating diversity.
In fairness, it looks like the outreach program to the Leprechaun community was at least partially successful.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Sorry if this is a repost. I am about ten pages behind and probably will not catch up until the weekend is done.

"The Leaders of Atheist, Skeptical and Secular Groups: Support Feminism and Diversity in the Secular Community"

[spoiler]To:

Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, Co-presidents, Freedom from Religion Foundation
Elisabeth Cornwell, Executive Director, Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science

We, the undersigned, are atheists, skeptics and nonbelievers who value free speech and rational thought and who seek to build a strong, thriving movement that can advocate effectively for these values. We've chosen to put our names to this petition because we want to respond to a video created by a blogger calling himself Thunderfoot. In this video, Thunderfoot attacks named individuals who've been active in promoting diversity and fighting sexism and harassment in our movement. He describes these people as "whiners" and "ultra-PC professional victims" who are "dripp[ing] poison" into the secular community, and urges conference organizers to shun and ignore them.

We hold this and similar complaints from other individuals to be seriously misguided, false in their particulars and harmful to the atheist community as a whole, and we want to set the record straight. We wish to clarify that Thunderfoot and those like him don't speak for us or represent us, and to state our unequivocal support for the following goals:

* We support making the atheist movement more diverse and inclusive. It's long been clear that the skeptical movement has a preponderance of white men. While we don't disdain their participation, we believe skepticism is valuable and important to people in all walks of life, and in accordance with that principle, we consider it vital to have a movement that reflects the demographics of the society we live in. If our community continues to be dominated by white men, it will become increasingly out-of-touch and irrelevant as Western society becomes increasingly multiracial and multicultural and as non-Western countries gain economic and cultural power.

To that end, we urge the atheist and skeptical organizations to make a conscious commitment to diversity: to intentionally reach out to people of all ages, genders and ethnic backgrounds to speak at our conventions, to serve on our boards of directors, and to be the public faces and representatives of skepticism. We believe that there are talented, dedicated and eminently qualified people of every gender and every race, and that seeking them out will strengthen our movement and broaden its appeal.

* We support strong, sensible anti-harassment policies at our gatherings. There have been too many instances of people at atheist conferences reporting bad behavior and unwelcome conduct by fellow attendees. When it's repetitive or especially egregious, this unwelcome conduct may rise to the level of harassment, defined as behavior intended to demean, threaten or intimidate others. We hold that preventing harassment is a legitimate and obvious goal for conference organizers, and that this can be done through the implementation of fairly simple and well-tested conduct policies.

We want to encourage robust debate over opinions and beliefs, as a good rational community should, and we believe that the wide adoption of anti-harassment policies advances this goal by fostering a rational atmosphere of civility and respect, where all people can express their opinions freely and feel comfortable in doing so. We applaud the conferences and organizations that have already created model policies in this regard, and we urge others to do likewise.

* We support the people in our community who've been the target of bullying, harassment and threats. Outside the conference environment, there are prominent members of the atheist community (including most of the people named in Thunderfoot's video) who've been subjected to a vicious and persistent campaign of online harassment, including obsessive streams of slurs and invective, threatening messages, sexually-tinged taunting, and malicious impersonation on social media, all carried out with the goal of bullying them into silence. We stand shoulder-to-shoulder in support of the people who've been harassed in this way, and forcefully and unequivocally condemn those who've carried out the harassment. Unless they change their ways and make amends, they have no place within the movement.

To put a stop to this bad behavior once and for all, we need to change the culture of the atheist movement so that sexism isn't condoned or defended, just as racism and homophobia aren't condoned or defended. We're grateful to the leaders of the movement who've spoken out against harassment, and we encourage all atheists and skeptics, regardless of their influence or prominence, to do likewise.
Sincerely,
[Your name][/spoiler]
I responded with bad spelling:D

http://i.imgur.com/j3E4r.jpg

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

codelette wrote:

First.
Second.

Third.
Codelette, do you accept hero worship? :clap:

And that, children, is the difference between a dogmatic little asshole and a skeptic.

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Jeffrey Nesmith wrote: 01.10.2013
Amy, no matter what, keep up the good fight. You should never, ever, need to justify your beliefs, and you shouldn’t have to put up with that kind of abuse.
Somebody missed Skepticism 101. If only he were a woman, Amy could send him to the conference (I doubt WiS will help).
I think this should be on a t-shirt. Sold exclusively by christians at skeptics events.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

[spoiler]
codelette wrote:

First.
Second.

Third.

[/spoiler]

Codelette, do you accept hero worship? :clap:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

My one wish? That we could have a Slymepit convention. That would be *awesome*! Just showing up, talking about things relevant to skepticism, not selling shitty-assed jewelry, wearing shirts we'd like, having a few drinks, and just having a great time. Sigh. I'll put that on my "I'm not dieing but am creating a bucket list anyway so fuck you assholes" list.

codelette

Post by codelette »

Zenspace wrote: Codelette, do you accept hero worship? :clap:
Will that get me fame, riches and bitches? :D

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tigzy wrote:
In fairness, it looks like the outreach program to the Leprechaun community was at least partially successful.
The photo was obviously taken before Hostess went bankrupt.

welch

Post by welch »

somedumbguy wrote:In general ranting about someone's personal appearance, or diet, or health is a cheap shot, and cheap shots should always be avoided. (But it needs to be acknowledged that the rare, very cheap shot, directed on target, can be wickedly delicious.)

I can't tell anyone that complains about the abuse they've suffered that they are whining, or enough is enough, or get over it.

But it's fair to note that their behavior is:
1) Perseverated because they have taught themselves to perseverate and fetishize it, and it's not healthy for anyone, including themselves
2) Hypocritical as they may be happy to tell others their abuse is imagined, or so rare that it's offensive to bring it up, or derailing, or that they should "man up", or that they are whining, or being rape apologists, and so on.
3) At odds with how many other people in their position feel about it

And it's fair to question if the forum they are at is a support group forum or a forum for the general public. The speech requirements of the former are not the speech requirements of the latter. If you raise topics at a skeptic forum be prepared to answer some difficult questions. If you dislike that, consider taking your topic over to a support group.
Given how often watson et al use "I bet you're a virgin" as a put-down to critics, I'd say there's little worry of being "more wrong" for bagging on how they look. It is a kind of cheap shot. Then again, so is calling everyone here a misogynist.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Cunning Punt wrote:

[spoiler]To:

Sincerely,
[Your name][/spoiler]
I responded with bad spelling:D

http://i.imgur.com/j3E4r.jpg
It is the duty of all humanists to the soothe the potential feelings of total strangers, no matter how irrational those feelings are.
For example, fear of limericks.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ReneeHendricks wrote:My one wish? That we could have a Slymepit convention. That would be *awesome*! Just showing up, talking about things relevant to skepticism, not selling shitty-assed jewelry, wearing shirts we'd like, having a few drinks, and just having a great time. Sigh. I'll put that on my "I'm not dieing but am creating a bucket list anyway so fuck you assholes" list.
I'd imagined it would be sort of like a normal skeptic convention? I've never been to one.

LMU

Post by LMU »

ReneeHendricks wrote:I just got a tweet regarding this whole "fight back against pressure to define atheism as a club only for misogynists". She stated that it's these kinds of statements that are keeping closeted atheists *in the closet* as well as pushing some of them back in. That, by itself, is fucking sad. Amanda Marcotte and her ilk need to reevaluate and possibly shut the fuck up about things they are merely speculating/blowing out of their asses.
Actually I think the activities of "Amanda Marcotte and her ilk" are more harmful. I and a friend had been considering trying to become more involved in the secular atheist community when elevatorgate occurred. After that it was plain to me that the "leaders" were not reasonable or trustworthy and I didn't want to be associated with them. Now if anyone asks I'm a UU, and I haven't heard a word about skepticism from that friend since then either. In any case, most of the activism I'm interested in I can do through the UU church anyway. For example holding pro gay marriage signs in Maine. Not sure how much difference that sort of thing makes, but it did pass!

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

codelette wrote:
Zenspace wrote: Codelette, do you accept hero worship? :clap:
Will that get me fame, riches and bitches? :D
I can't help with that list. How about a nice cheeseburger? :think:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:My one wish? That we could have a Slymepit convention. That would be *awesome*! Just showing up, talking about things relevant to skepticism, not selling shitty-assed jewelry, wearing shirts we'd like, having a few drinks, and just having a great time. Sigh. I'll put that on my "I'm not dieing but am creating a bucket list anyway so fuck you assholes" list.
I was thinking that just the other day: Sly-Con sort of a salon des refuges for people sick of the same shit, the same whining, the same incestuous little band of speakers who want to network to keep these co-opting nutbags quarantined in their intellectual sick house and let the skeptical community get on with skepticism instead of hypocritical, self-serving, thin-skinned, crazy-ass authoritarian group-think bullshit.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Steersman wrote: [spoiler]
codelette wrote:
cunt wrote:So am I the only one who thought the Eucliwood/LousyCanuck slashfic was funny as fuck? I hope that's what she sent to him.
I was nauseated. Not because of how graphic the messages were, but because LC totally dries up all my mucous membranes and just seeing his pic makes me vomit a little inside my mouth.
[/spoiler]Maybe you too would like to post your picture so that he and others can make a similar judgement of you?

How old did you say you were? ….
Just jumping in to take yet another opportunity to say it: It's totally kosher for me to make fun of his looks, then? Because I wouldn't fuck him with Half-fish's dick.
I’m OK with it, although I wonder whether you would be saying that if you had, for example, a cleft palate. And I still think it clutters up the conversation unnecessarily. But at least you wouldn’t be being hypocritical about it; you would be meeting him on a more-or-less level playing field – which tends to be indicative of some commendable self-awareness. Although didn’t franc suggest that only the hypocritical are self-aware? ….
I feel pretty safe in assuming Rystefn would be Rystefn even if he were a hairlipped, wall-eyed, hydrocephalic, clubfooted leper with boils on his cornea.

Mind you, i'm not sure HOW he would say it if that were the case, but I doubt he'd be significantly different if that were the case.

It's one of the reasons I like him.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

rocko2466 wrote:Dilurk. I think that's off the mark.

Not saying she's as bad as an evangelical, but if an evangelical preacher took all these donations to help people to get into heaven and paid himself a massive salary even if his followers were okay with that we should be outraged just because the ethics are independent of the victim.

Greta did something unethical but her followers don't care. As you'd expect with a cult.
Which FTB effectively is.
I continued commenting on that thread (Post #130 onwards) and my posts were deleted fairly quickly.
Nothing nasty. Just pointing out some observations etc.
I've since updated/created a new blog dissecting the events before, during and after the donation drive.
I think Rocko has already seen this new one.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Tigzy wrote:
and also, judging by the guy on the second row to the right, to certain video game characters of Japanese/Italian ethnicity...

codelette

Post by codelette »

LMU wrote:
Actually I think the activities of "Amanda Marcotte and her ilk" are more harmful. I and a friend had been considering trying to become more involved in the secular atheist community when elevatorgate occurred. After that it was plain to me that the "leaders" were not reasonable or trustworthy and I didn't want to be associated with them. Now if anyone asks I'm a UU, and I haven't heard a word about skepticism from that friend since then either. In any case, most of the activism I'm interested in I can do through the UU church anyway. For example holding pro gay marriage signs in Maine. Not sure how much difference that sort of thing makes, but it did pass!
Is kinda of funny that those assholes want more "diversity", yet, they invite Amanda to all those events? Didn't they receive the memo from brown women regarding Marcotte being persona non-grata for them? :lol:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

acathode wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
and also, judging by the guy on the second row to the right, to certain video game characters of Japanese/Italian ethnicity...
Shit, you're right - that's who I was thinking of with the Leprechaun thing.

Still, the videogame character community needs this sort of outreach more than anything, I reckon, what with Sarkeesian still 'on the case' as regards the sexism these poor people face.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Mykeru wrote: [spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/KAUdK.jpg[/spoiler]
Jebus Fuck. Klan meetings look less inbred than that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Just gonna leave this here:

[youtube]JYZktLCBxjk[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Clickthroughs on FTB today so far:

Free NIV bible.
'Let Master Prophet Pray For You' online prayer request.
Special K free slimming plan. (one for the feminsts there)
Private Medical Insurance (well, it was on Greta's page, and it just needed to be done)

Have to say, that free NIV bible one has been popping up with alarming regularity...

LMU

Post by LMU »

That's great! :lol: I love all the parody sites that have popped up over this! (FreeThoughtBlahgs, Freedom Thinking Blog, etc.)

Hrm, is there a parody Slymepit yet? That could be amusing too.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

There's an episode of the Simpsons on in the UK at the moment where Skinner upsets the local feminist movement. The replacement feminist principal is called Melody.

Guest666

Post by Guest666 »

Zenspace wrote:
Guest666 wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
Outwest wrote:
Guest666 wrote:Greta accepts more donations for shoes! Also asks people to donate money to a charity of her choice. But she will spend money donated to her on shoes. At this point it must be just to try and piss off the people who criticized her for her initial shoe purchase.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... l-justice/
Of course she thinks she's pissing off. But she's not. We're laughing at the people she's duped into donating to her shoe fund.
Yup. Gotta love the smell of hate edged, vengeance driven charity in the evening. :whistle:
My point was that Greta is asking her fans to donate more of their money to charity, while she admits to having received even more donations to herself, which she is flat out admitting will be spent on more luxurious designer shoes.

It just comes off as a bit hypocritical (if not that, at least very odd) that she in the same blog post, asks for people to donate money to charity, she spends money donated to her now on overpriced shoes.

I have nothing against the charity or her encouraging people to donate to it. I just find it a bit odd (and in bad form a bit, considering she got so much flack for her initial show purchase) that when she does receive more donations, she doesn't spend that money on the charity she is asking people to donate to.
Oh, I agree completely. Any respect I had for her, and there was not all that much left at this point, just evaporated completely with this last episode, pretty much for the reasons you outline. To think I actually considered sending her money at one point. I'm glad I decided to hold off for a bit to see how things went with her. My comment had more to with the 'let's give to charity and piss off those slymers' attitude. Talk about missing the effen point.
Did you mean that I missed the effen point?

And the point behind the "At this point it must be just to try and piss off the people who criticized her for her initial shoe purchase." I was referring to pissing off the slymepitters by buying more shoes, not the donating to charity bit of Greta's post.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch

Post by welch »

John Brown wrote:
cunt wrote:
skepCHUD wrote:Postby cunt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm • [Post 1453]
Here's an impression of Rystefyn attempting to drive a nail into a piece of wood using a screwdriver:

Ow, ow, ow, ow, motherfucker, shit, ow, ow.

Better not get him too pissed off cunt, he might shoot you with his shovel.
Hahahah
The point was that the design of a thing does not dictate the function of a thing (or as Rystefyn put so well, the utility of that thing). The only qualifier I put on that in my original post (which Welch may have missed), was that the thing can do whatever the owner wants to do with it so long as it is within the perimeters of what that thing can do.

The utility of a screen door does not allow for it to be retrofitted to a submarine. But, a screen door *can* be used for other things besides its primary purpose.

For the record, I've used other objects (besides a hammer) to drive nails into a wall quite a few times in my life.
I CAN use a lot of things to do a lot of things. But the idea that the intended design of an object is meaningless, or even minor, as you and most of the "guns are no different than hammers, pools, knives, cars, etc. in terms of killing people" group push is silly. You can kill someone with anything. Give me a moment to think about it, I could probably off you with a paperclip. I could damned sure do it with a marshmallow.

But that's beside the point, unless you want to say "SHOULD WE THEN BAN MARSHMALLOWS" as a non-point. When you say "guns are not designed solely to kill", that statement is, outside of a VERY narrow subset of gun design, and a relatively new one mind you, bollocks. Guns were designed for the same reason a B-52 was: to more efficiently cause things that were living to not be living anymore. I may be able to carry a lot of things in a B-1B weapons bay, but if it ain't some form of bomb or missile, then I'm essentially misusing the plane.

Denial of that fact of guns, attempts to mitigate it via silly comparisons because "you can kill someone with ANYTHING" is simply stupid, and it makes the person taking those actions seem stupid, or at best, intellectually dishonest. It also tells me that I'm (99% in my experience) dealing with a "no retreat, no surrender" type, which again, means "they just want to win".

For example, I do generally, (although not completely) agree that as a group, "assault weapons" is a rather nebulous thing. It's like obscenity. you can't objectively define it, but when you see it, you know what it is. I generally agree that an attempt to ban such things is going to be a bit of a failure, because they aren't specific. It's why banning fully automatic weapons is an easier sell. I can define that.

I can even take almost any group that BARELY knows what a gun is, and get pretty good agreement about things like "handgun", "rifle", "shotgun" in a short amount of time. "assault weapon"? That's not a type. That's a list of specific models you want to ban. In that case, I think people should just say "THESE are the guns we think should be banned" and revisit the list every so often. (Yes, yes, I know, the AK-47 can be a great hunting weapon in high-brush areas. Please do not attempt to act like without it, you can only hunt on open prairie. If you believe that, I have some history for you to study.)

But then the NRA et al dig their heels in on some stupid crap like magazine size. Okay, so really? you *need* 30-round clips? 15-round clips? for fucking what? suppressing fire while you escape from that fucking mountain goat clan? Ensuring as much collateral damage as possible in case of burglary? There's this thing called "compromise" and in addition to helping you get the things you really care about passed, it's also a way to show that you're not a highlanderist twat. Setting aside the paranoia idiots, (because again, my rule about ignoring idiots), as someone who has hunted bow and rifle, you're going to need a hefty amount of proof to convince me you need much over about 5 rounds in a magazine to hunt. Ten maybe. Over that? Learn how to fucking aim. Don't be like the FTs (Fucking Tourists) who think that once you take a round out of the box, it'll go bad if you don't shoot it.

That would be an easy, EASY one for them to compromise on, and one you could actually explain in good terms. "need more than ten bullets in a clip to hit a single deer? Why are you in the woods and not on the range?" But, no retreat, no surrender, right? There's a few things that they could give ground gracefully on, i.e. background checks even at gun shows, etc., that would then allow them to point out "look you're talking about SPECIFIC WEAPONS like AR-15s, etc. You can't actually "define" an assault weapon in a way that makes goddamned sense outside of a SPECIFIC LIST OF WEAPONS". I'd then even suggest working on a way to keep that list as short as possible, and again, let them have it, which prevents mass screaming, stupid action with them being cut out of the conversation entirely.

But if they aren't going to even consider compromising on anything, and it's "their way or the highway"? Fuck that, there's the door, mind the knob.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

LMU wrote:
That's great! :lol: I love all the parody sites that have popped up over this! (FreeThoughtBlahgs, Freedom Thinking Blog, etc.)

Hrm, is there a parody Slymepit yet? That could be amusing too.
Could be a little tougher to pull off seeing as this place is pretty much a parody to begin with. :whistle:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:http://www.wcoa.info/amandamisogynist.jpg

A club 'only for misogynsts?'

Jesus fucking Christ...
This seems to be something retweeted among several "feminist" atheists/skeptics online. Very, very sad.
I was going to say this doubles down on the stupidity, but I don't think the multiplier is anywhere near large enough...

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: You are stretching like a motherfucker to find anything objectionable here. It just makes me more comfortable with my assessment that what Amy posted is actually pretty cool.
'I'm going to be paying the admission for at least two people to attend the event'.

'You can help me do this by either donating or buying some of my special shrinky-dinks.'

Sucker!
There's nothing wrong with what she's saying. She has straight up said she will cover four people, and then asked for donations to get the financial burden of doing that on her own lessened.
Yeah. I can't find much to bag on Amy about for that. She wants to do that, more power to her. She wants to sell shitty art to do it, booyah. I just want her to stop misusing other people's IP, abusing DMCAs, (because it fucks it up for the people who aren't, but that's a different rant), and crying because the world doesn't kiss her ass. Also, people say mean things to her. Boo-fucking-dee-hoo.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:I updated my article on Greta's spectacular ShoeGATE schtick.
[spoiler]
Here's an excerpt from my blog.
The full article can be read by clicking here.

There seems to be some discussion on the blogosphere defending Greta’s receipt of some monies as “gifts”.

GC attempts to defend her use of funds by changing her mission statement to this:
“I spent the overwhelming majority of the donations from that fundraiser paying my mortgage several months in advance”

“several” definition [adjective- more than a few, an indefinite small number]

“few” definition [adjective- not many but more than one. Two or more]

Realising the true definition of Greta’s post-donation statement it can be assumed the donations GC received, adequately covered the costing for living expenses and mortgage payments, not only for a number of weeks as first published in her campaign, but now carries her expenses for several months.

Greta’s followers made several claims of explicitly stating that their donation is/was intended as a gift, therefore can be spent on items other than those expressed in the charity drive. This conversation did not start until her panhandling exercise concluded, and only by a handful of commenters on her blog.

Over 170 commenters responded to Greta’s plea and expressed their support, both emotional and monetary. I was unable to find a single entry in the comment section specifically stating the pledged contribution can be used for something other than what was described as “living expenses”.

Several supportive commenters who did NOT contribute to the fundraising expressly advised Greta to either “spend on whatever she likes”, or “Keep the overflow for herself”.

· 9 commenters approving the “keep the overflow cash” idea, by self admission, did not donate.

· 11 commenters approving the “keep the overflow cash” idea, made no admissions to donating.

· 4 commenters approving the “keep the overflow cash” idea, actually made a contribution, although, one contributor, by admission, only donated pennies.
[/spoiler]
Finally, if Greta was serious about ceasing the influx of “Donations”, she’d remove the “Donate” and “Subscription” buttons located beneath her heart felt plea.

ENJOY!

Well, Greta I am sure has taken copious notes about all monies received for her taxes....I am sure.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
cunt wrote:I called you a liar because I know for a fact that you've never driven a nail with a fucking screwdriver.
Oh shit, that's funny as fuck. What do I get if I post a video of me doing it?
Honestly, if you put that on youtube. I will send you a tenner. 6 inch nails, don't be a pussy, and don't be put off by youtubes ten minute limit.
For a tenspot, drive that shit through oak. Nonathat pussy pine shit.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Guest666 wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
Oh, I agree completely. Any respect I had for her, and there was not all that much left at this point, just evaporated completely with this last episode, pretty much for the reasons you outline. To think I actually considered sending her money at one point. I'm glad I decided to hold off for a bit to see how things went with her. My comment had more to with the 'let's give to charity and piss off those slymers' attitude. Talk about missing the effen point.
Did you mean that I missed the effen point?

And the point behind the "At this point it must be just to try and piss off the people who criticized her for her initial shoe purchase." I was referring to pissing off the slymepitters by buying more shoes, not the donating to charity bit of Greta's post.
I guess that could have been clearer, but I was referring to Greta missing the effen point. Sorry for any confusion.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

Mykeru wrote:

Women sitting on the floor in the back of the room, is that misogyny? Or if the men in the chairs up front had offered them their seats, would that be misogyny? Or is it misogyny either way? I'm so confused.

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Eucliwood -

Have you seen Jason's latest post yet? If not, I think you should:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... d-quickly/
I really don't want to read a post in which I am publicly slammed on someone's blog, if that's what that is. If it is, why the hell would you link to me? Kind of harsh, don't you think?
Weren't you posting publicly about slamming Thibeault?
Reread my post - I was saying it was kind of harsh to link me to it. Not that he made a post about me. Not that, in this case, it's the same - I didn't do anything to the guy, and he's slamming me for nothing, if you are confirming that it is a post about me. What a little bitch.
Just because huffing paint makes you see the unicorns, still not a good idea.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Zenspace wrote:

First.
Second.

Third.
Keep us in the loop as to how that goes. I've heard he has adopted the censorship practices of his new overlords. I won't go to his page to give him the hits. Screencap maybe?
I was going to freezepage it, but the comments don't show up. Then screenshot the whole webpage, but the comments, again, didn't show up. So I guess I'll just have to ... erm... do it the old fashioned way. Screenshots ahead (in spoiler tags):

[spoiler]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/886/fr ... mleep1.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6568/f ... mleep2.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/87/a ... aterp1.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2924 ... aterp2.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7620 ... itylol.jpg[/spoiler]

welch

Post by welch »

Eucliwood wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Being surrounded by the exclamations of a ranting maniac makes your already perfectly reasonable post really shine. Clair obscur.
Can someone fill me in on what the hell happened, if anything has happened? Do I already know, and people are just making a subject out of what I thought was a small thing? If so, estimates on when the topic will be over? Also, I don't know who Simpleflower is.
Okay look, it's really important that you keep up with your OWN crazy shit.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

welch wrote:[spoiler]
Eucliwood wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Eucliwood -

Have you seen Jason's latest post yet? If not, I think you should:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... d-quickly/
I really don't want to read a post in which I am publicly slammed on someone's blog, if that's what that is. If it is, why the hell would you link to me? Kind of harsh, don't you think?
Weren't you posting publicly about slamming Thibeault?
Reread my post - I was saying it was kind of harsh to link me to it. Not that he made a post about me. Not that, in this case, it's the same - I didn't do anything to the guy, and he's slamming me for nothing, if you are confirming that it is a post about me. What a little bitch.
[/spoiler]

Just because huffing paint makes you see the unicorns, still not a good idea.
Damn. Well, thanks for ruining MY weekend plans.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

IF YOU GET A MESSAGE ABOUT YOUR IP ADDRESS BEING BLOCKED

Post by Lsuoma »

Please PM me with the IP address, and I will investigate manually. In every case so far, I have been able to whitelist the offending addresses without inviting spam.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:regarding the rape as torture analogy,

rape is used in wartime, on both men and women, as a method of psychological torture, amongst other things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_rape

and in Iran, both women and men are raped as a tactic to silence and terrify political opponents:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rture.html

Even if a culture does not have twisted ideas about sex, could rape still be used to terrify and torture opponents?
many years ago, in The Book of lists, there was an entry about countries that use torture, and what methods. Iran, and someone else, maybe Uganda evidently used "rape by trained dogs". Which we didn't believe, but given barbara woodhouse was popular at the time, my boss and i had great fun talking about teaching dogs to:

siTAH
STAy
raPAH

If you never saw a video of "teach your dog to sit and stay the woodhouse way", none of that will make sense. Try to imagine a stern female british septugenarian commanding a dog to rape with the oddest word accents ever. But here's a great video of her teaching an early 80s William Shatner about how to train dogs.

She should have taught him how to wear shorts.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I wonder if they're noticing at all the fact that a huge proportion of the anti-A+ sentiment comes from non-whites?

I try to follow everyone who's anti-A+ and... in terms of demographics, I've seen a lot more people with non-white avatars or those I know who are non-white calling them fuckholes.

Fuck, even their great enemy (HERO) Elevatorgate is a black kid.

The 'pit also collects a whole range of diversity in terms of sexuality and location.

I'll tell you how to get diversity in an organisation.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT DIVERSITY AND GET GOOD SPEAKERS.

I think the great James Onen wrote a post about that, too, although I'm buggered if I can find it again.
I'd go. But can we have it on some awesome tropical island? I like the idea of a convention by the pool.

/wishlist

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Edina Monsoon wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

Women sitting on the floor in the back of the room, is that misogyny? Or if the men in the chairs up front had offered them their seats, would that be misogyny? Or is it misogyny either way? I'm so confused.
IT'S ALL MISOGYNY!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4EFgWU6k9eM/T ... chers1.jpg

MISOGYNY!

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Pitchguest wrote:[spoiler]
Zenspace wrote:

First.
Second.

Third.
I was going to freezepage it, but the comments don't show up. Then screenshot the whole webpage, but the comments, again, didn't show up. So I guess I'll just have to ... erm... do it the old fashioned way. Screenshots ahead (in spoiler tags):

[spoiler]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/886/fr ... mleep1.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6568/f ... mleep2.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/87/a ... aterp1.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2924 ... aterp2.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7620 ... itylol.jpg[/spoiler]

Thank you. Damn impressive comments, too. Love to see if A) he lets them stand and B) responds in any meaningful way.

Thanks again. :clap:

welch

Post by welch »

John Brown wrote:
franc wrote:
John Brown wrote:
Reap wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/oFX4f.png[/spoiler]
This is like reading a script for a charlie brown movie, but just the adult voices, how ironic. Waa, waa, wawawaaa. Wuuu waaaa.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Turing test has never been passed, and as far as I know, is not projected to be passed for another couple of decades.

So...Am I missing something or is my irony meter off?
Not at all. SOP. Throw in a lofty concept that neither you nor your subnormal audience really understand and, presto!, there is an illusion of authority. SSDD.
Also, at the risk of being pedantic, the test has nothing to do with "self awareness," but rather the concept of artificial intelligence in that the computer can "learn" to mimic human reactions (kind of like Deep Blue learned how to beat Kasparov.

Even after the Turing Test is passed, we still have a great deal of work ahead of us before "self-awareness."

Decent info on the Turing Test, (so everyone has at least some baseline knowledge) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

rayshul wrote:[spoiler]I wonder if they're noticing at all the fact that a huge proportion of the anti-A+ sentiment comes from non-whites?

I try to follow everyone who's anti-A+ and... in terms of demographics, I've seen a lot more people with non-white avatars or those I know who are non-white calling them fuckholes.

Fuck, even their great enemy (HERO) Elevatorgate is a black kid.

The 'pit also collects a whole range of diversity in terms of sexuality and location.

I'll tell you how to get diversity in an organisation.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT DIVERSITY AND GET GOOD SPEAKERS.

I think the great James Onen wrote a post about that, too, although I'm buggered if I can find it again.
I'd go. But can we have it on some awesome tropical island? I like the idea of a convention by the pool.

/wishlist[/spoiler]
I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know of a good number of skeptics who are not white, that are against A+, myself being one of them.

Here's that James Onen blog that I think you were talking about. I have it bookmarked....

http://freethoughtkampala.wordpress.com ... inorities/