The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Karmakin

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Karmakin »

Both the post and the tweet are both cut from the same cloth. Both are despicable, and both are making light of something horrific.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Michael K Gray wrote:Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows-your-father.
Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his betty harpers and caught his can in the bertie.
Cheers - (black and white film of old ladies clapping)

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

At some point, everyone will say something stupid, something they regret.

It's not my job to express regret, sorrow, disappointment, condemnation, expressions of shunning, or anything over something stupid someone else has said. An enemy of my enemy can probably go fuck himself all by himself. And besides I reject the whole stupid enemy dichotomy anyway.

I am not going to jump through Ophelia Benson's cavernous hoop just to properly distance myself from some numbnuts.

And an obvious non-threat is an obvious non-threat.

Now, if and when someone can point to Jerry Conlon being the leader of some movement I have pledged loyalty too, then yes, maybe his statements amount to more than a hill of beans.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

[spoiler]
16bitheretic wrote:
Gefan wrote:Can't help but notice that there is unanimous condemnation here of one idiotic tweet and that it's not entirely on the grounds of its tactical stupidity.
Reverse the roles and does anyone doubt we'd be treated to a frantic display of rationalizing, excuses, and in-group solidarity?
You mean like how they all cry about harassment left and right from Twitter, blog comments, t-shirts and yet some still defend harassers like Greg Laden after he makes threats aimed at Justin Griffith, and there's excuses and victim blaming trotted out by the likes of Svan and Thibeault? You mean like they toss Vacula under a bus for "doxxing" and make him into a pariah when Watson and Laden have both doxxed people themselves, or at least tried to, and somehow that's totally different dontcha know?

Nah, they'd never be hypocritical about anything, what could possibly give one that idea?

And as far as tactics, well, Conlon being a dumbshit doesn't help any of those who associate with people the FTBloggers/A+/Skepchicks don't approve of, but the reality is Benson and others like her will always find some asshat to try and represent the group.

After all, according to those people we aren't individuals with varying opinions (OMG the Pit has feminists, MRAs and non-labelled posting together? THE HORROR!), rather we are one monolithic collective groupthink block of rapists, racists, misogynists, transphobic, cis-privileged, white-privileged, male chauvanist, chill girl, gender traitor sociopaths, amirite? They'll always try and find some way to paint us all with the same brush. If it wasn't dumbshit Conlon it would have been somebody else.
[/spoiler]

Mark well these words: Meyers is grooming his audience for the return of Greg Laden to FfTB. I've seen a couple of mentions recently of the cunt in Meyers's posts, including one veiled reference where Meyers mentioned his own "testosterone-damaged" brain.

Personally, I can't fucking wait for it.

PS, where's Rystefn? Has he finally succumbed to massive cerebral oedema caused by headbutting nails into wood?

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

somedumbguy, I totally agree.

Dan

Post by Dan »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I reckon Jerry Conlon is a fake account set up by one of the Baboon supporters. I wouldn't put it past them.

BTW, looking at Justin's FB page with much mirth, reminded me just how exposed Ophelia and all the other FfTB morons are when outside Baboon HQ. When they can't censor, moderate, memory hole and ban, they get slaughtered, and they flounce pretty quickly.

This is why I have said that if a forum outside of their control opens up, and it is possible to engage and respond with the Baboons - DO IT. Hit the boards and give them hell. Make them scarper back to the safety of their Baboon cages. Make them get a sense of reality - that the atheist and skeptic communities despise them.

I doubt it he has been following me on twitter for a few months. He only started tweeting a few week ago. I'd say he just made a stupid mistake.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

I gotta say that when I read Benson blithely stomping all over genuine victims of assault just to shove them out of the way and grab the center stage, make it all about her and her petty little Internet squabbles, I was so furious I could easily have said something I'd regret. I had to get off the computer and go outside.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

And apropros of nothing at all, I will leave this right here because I thought it was funny:

[youtube]tieA5wfcgH4[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Badger3k wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the hows-your-father.
Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his betty harpers and caught his can in the bertie.
Cheers - (black and white film of old ladies clapping)
[youtube]kt2qdgdoBQs[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

somedumbguy wrote:Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

It's not my job to express regret, sorrow, disappointment, condemnation, expressions of shunning, or anything over something stupid someone else has said. An enemy of my enemy can probably go fuck himself all by himself. And besides I reject the whole stupid enemy dichotomy anyway.

I am not going to jump through Ophelia Benson's cavernous hoop just to properly distance myself from some numbnuts.

Now, if and when someone can point to Jerry Conlon being the leader of some movement I have pledged loyalty too, then yes, maybe his statements amount to more than a hill of beans.
Fucking A+ post, Dummy. You now have the honour of having contributed a tagline to the pit...

rayshul unplugged

Post by rayshul unplugged »

[spoiler]
somedumbguy wrote:Just to be a prat, I am going to take a different attitude.

[/spoiler]

I agree. I also feel that she was fishing for that kind of response to justify her post. If you compare yourself to an acid attack victim because someone is mean to you on the internet, you're going to get emotional, angry responses. It's a shame Jerry got fucked off enough to tweet that at her because it gives her ammunition, but at the same time, as somedumbguy points out, it's fuck all to do with me.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better. Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.

For Ophelia and all the other disingenuous FtB attention whores: I've never threatened anyone in my life, and don't own any weapons more dangerous than a polo mallet, a collection of tiny double-pointed needles for knitting socks, and two fluffy little dogs that collectively weigh less than 25 pounds. If I could get the time off work to travel, I certainly wouldn't waste it attending unproductive skeptics/atheists meetings dominated by you and your paranoid, boring, self-involved ilk.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better
Wowbagger was the "die in a fire" idiot too.

comslave

Post by comslave »

justinvacula wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Nope, they've always been that weird. "Dangerously close to being violent"? Where have I heard that before?

[spoiler]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8376 ... 49ae_c.jpg[/spoiler]

Folks: It's a tactic. Get it?
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?

What happens in my garage stays in my garage. :hand:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

cunt wrote:
Conlon's tweet was reprehensible and vile, but Wowbagger et al.'s mendacious accusations aren't much better
Wowbagger was the "die in a fire" idiot too.
Lovely. I hope it lives far away from me.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

welch wrote:One reason I love my job: photobomb at Friday beer cart!

http://instagr.am/p/UpC7XygfW8/
Welch reveals his inner "woman".

http://i.imgur.com/r3P9Jhg.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

comslave wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
The Slymepit has weapons of mass destruction, you say? The Slymepit is working on building nuclear weapons, you say?

What happens in my garage stays in my garage. :hand:
Way back in the mid-Aughties, you could type "weapons of mass destruction" into Google, click the "I'm feeling lucky" button, and a "Page Not Found" error message would appear, with the text changed to something like The weapons of mass destruction could not be found ....

Now that's my kind of prank.

mordacious1

Darn

Post by mordacious1 »

I see Corylus stopped by earlier, I missed my chance to ask her what a nice person like her is doing in a slymepit like this. I remember when she tried talking to Ophie and her minions some time ago and they jumped all over her, which is stupid of them because she's a calm, rational person who discusses issues in an adult manner (unlike me, who approaches things as an adolescent would). I tried to find my comments about Ophie on RD.net, but it seems they were removed. OB has a habit of emailing moderators and complaining about "personal attacks". I remember when she was bothering Richard about the "C' word on his site. I think he respected her back then, I wonder if he still does. I know I don't, but Richard's probably too busy to give her much thought.

Axel

Post by Axel »

*de-activate lurk mode*
Here is an important lesson to remember, since character assassination is the name of the game, anything you say will be used against you.
*re-activate lurk mode*

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

BarnOwl wrote:Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.
Maybe so, but what about being hoisted by...

[spoiler]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm so, so sorry for that one. But I had to.[/spoiler]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Metalogic42 wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Twitter truly is a medium through which one can be hoisted by one's own petard.

[spoiler]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I'm so, so sorry for that one. But I had to.[/spoiler]
ST:TNG jokes are awesome!

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

I've noticed they've started refering to the 'mildewpit' instead of 'slimepit'. I'm devastated.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Metalogic42 wrote:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbulg ... o1_500.jpg

One sewn Picard.
That's Jean-Luc "Make It Sew" Picard.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Pitchguest wrote:That Wowbagger has the wrong idea about the Slymepit is an understatement.
[spoiler]
wowbaggerlol
[/spoiler]
From a FTB POV, Wowbagger has the right idea. It's exactly how the FC(n) and Watson want to play this game, ignore the civil and rational criticism, while collecting and treasuring the vile and hateful comments they can find, building and reinforcing the mythos of how everyone who disagree with them are horrible, violent, misogynist slimepitters. Then turn around and smear all those people who politely made intellectual mincemeat out of the poorly constructed blogposts and arguments as being the same sort of people as the ones who made "rape threats" or "harassed and bullied".

It's a "get out of jail"-card for them, which allows them to completely ignore all valid criticism and instead just focusing on "the hate" while scoring even more victim points. All reasonable criticism of Benson comparing herself to acid-victims can now be safely ignored by just pointing to a really stupid and disgusting tweet. Not that they'd ever would address any reasonable criticism honestly, it's always going to be dishonestly misrepresented, straw-manned, and otherwise demonized, but this tweet really just handed them everything they wanted on a silver platter.

A good example of this tactic is btw Watson handling of her blog after Elevator Gate. Reasonable and civil disagreement was blocked and moderated on her blog, while the nasty and hateful comments were let through. It's politically a smart move, it gives the appearance that "your side" is the sane and reasonable one, while the "other side" is a frothing at the mouth, lunatic one, making any neutral newcomer automatically want to side with you, regardless of how poor or far removed from the facts your arguments are.

In some ways, as long as you don't become to obvious, the more outrageous, dishonest, or provocative your claims are, the better. You will get more hate, harsher hate, and more really stupid hate, all which can be used to make yourself look even better. Watson again provide a fine example with her "drunk sex = rape" tweet. It's basically political trolling.

CommanderTuvok: The guy's recent twitter history is still available in google's cache. If the acid "threat" had been his only post, I'd suspect it being a sock-account too, but there's nothing to suggest that. It seems a lot more likely it's just some stupid guy that said something rather stupid, possible under the influence of alcohol (considering the time and day).
Axel wrote:Here is an important lesson to remember, since character assassination is the name of the game, anything you say will be used against you.
You don't get it yet. The real game of character assassination they are playing is: anything someone else say will be used against you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

aweraw wrote:I've noticed they've started refering to the 'mildewpit' instead of 'slimepit'. I'm devastated.
Linkie?

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircr ... Xlarge.jpg needed.

cunt

Post by cunt »

About engaging them on their own boards. I don't see much of a problem with it, just don't use the same username you use here. Use a plausible email address and be polite. It's ridiculously easy to stir up the hoarde with sound polite argumentation and it makes PZ looks like a giant asshole when he has to pull out the ban hammer just to protect them from it. It can be a hell of a lot funnier than simply going in to post "you suck pz, lick my nuts you fat fuck" but you need the patience of a saint to pull it off.

See: Every noelplum99 thread on Pharyngula and Steersman's recent dismantling of their "it's a guy thing" is so horribly sexist argument on Braytons blog.

mordacious1

Barf

Post by mordacious1 »

I quit going over to buttflies and squeals due to their incessant twisting of the truth and outright lies, but was tempted to see how they were getting Ophie off the hook (about her outrageous acid post) after that Conlon comment. I found this:

Aratina Cage
January 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm (UTC -8)
PZ disclosed the part about the harassers targeting local businesses on his blog. The guy saying he would tap PZ’s shoulder was a new one on Twitter just yesterday, not Hoggle’s pocket-gift threat. And remember, we have already seen this kind of obsessive hatred against a few women lead to violence in the atheist community before, with Madalyn Murray-O’Hair. The atheist community should remember that and put an end to it immediately before it moves past the stage it is in right now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Mu ... nd_arrests It’s not a joke.
[bolding mine] That is BS. The guy who committed violence against O'Hair was someone working for AA who wanted to steal money and was mad about an article she had written about him. It was not a result of "obsessive hatred of women". He also murdered her son who wasn't, as far as I know, a woman at the time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm so glad that Peezus and all his toadying sycophants do all the heavy lifting for us.

Best. Spectator. Sport. Ever.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

cunt wrote:About engaging them on their own boards. I don't see much of a problem with it, just don't use the same username you use here. Use a plausible email address and be polite. It's ridiculously easy to stir up the hoarde with sound polite argumentation and it makes PZ looks like a giant asshole when he has to pull out the ban hammer just to protect them from it. It can be a hell of a lot funnier than simply going in to post "you suck pz, lick my nuts you fat fuck" but you need the patience of a saint to pull it off.

See: Every noelplum99 thread on Pharyngula and Steersman's recent dismantling of their "it's a guy thing" is so horribly sexist argument on Braytons blog.
That's certainly what I try to do.

I am not going to do their work for them, and voluntarily banish myself.
I try to:

Write my comments with logic and supported argument
Remain polite
Mostly ignore the comments and attacks from the peanut gallery

At times, I do
Explain at times why leaving to go to work is not flouncing, or
Commenting for several hours in a row, and then leaving is not flouncing and more then they deserve

And at other times, I debunk their arguments from Feminism 101 that
sexism = power + prejudice
the best way to progress on men's rights is to do nothing but support more feminism
derailing for dummies is much of anything other than silencing tactics

And I let them ban me.

And obviously they have banned me.

When they do ban me, I am not saying I will not create a new user, but I'll leave them be for several weeks if not a month or more. My activities won't be confused with stalking or hacking or anything they cry wolf about.

But I figure that anyone that does pay attention to them, if they do read a comment thread, they'll be able to pick up on the bullying and the banning.

The pit has taught me about freezepage -- thank you pit!

Axel

Post by Axel »

Acathode, what I mean is that is each one has to be responsible about what they say or how the act. This twitter seems to be using a real name, since there is ambiguity that what he saids was a stupid joke or an actual threat (I personally think it was a very distastefull joke), it will be used agaisnt him. Their courts presume you are guilty until proven innocent-Never happens.
They guy was dressed similar to a soldier. If this is the case, he could be in deep shit if this gets reported to a commanding officer. If I was a public person online, I would conduct myself like a politian in constant campaign mode.
But you are right, this is also about "guilt-by-association", even if no such association exist.

Post by Guest »

“BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.”

Suggest you check out user JTC. Here’s a hint, dumbass. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=40275#p42405

cunt

Post by cunt »

But I figure that anyone that does pay attention to them, if they do read a comment thread, they'll be able to pick up on the bullying and the banning.
Exactly. Do that, and Nerd Of Redhead, Brownian, Sally Strange, Caine etc. will be on you within the hour to do the slymepits heavy lifting.

Forget to mention, age your accounts. Register one and don't use it or use it sparingly for a month or so then hit them on particularly offensive or ridiculous thread, and don't brag about it here. Stealth mode.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Axel wrote:Acathode, what I mean is that is each one has to be responsible about what they say or how the act. This twitter seems to be using a real name, since there is ambiguity that what he saids was a stupid joke or an actual threat (I personally think it was a very distastefull joke), it will be used agaisnt him. Their courts presume you are guilty until proven innocent-Never happens.
They guy was dressed similar to a soldier. If this is the case, he could be in deep shit if this gets reported to a commanding officer. If I was a public person online, I would conduct myself like a politian in constant campaign mode.
But you are right, this is also about "guilt-by-association", even if no such association exist.
I agree with you, but the thing I'm trying to get to is that in a few weeks time, the FTBers will hardly remember this guy's name, what they will remember very strongly, and bring up every chance they have, is that "slymepitters" and haters threatened to throw acid in Benson face, and that people like Thunderf00t and Noelplum associate with pitters like that speaks volumes about their despicable characters, etc etc etc in their everlasting smear-campaign.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:“BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.”

Suggest you check out user JTC. Here’s a hint, dumbass. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=40275#p42405
My, but someone's throwing a tammy strop, no?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

So, tomorrow we get to attend the funeral of a friend. He was diagnosed with Cancer in the Spring of 2011. In August of that year a big farewell party was held in his honor. It was a genuine celebration of the man's life and although he was there and smilingly presiding over the whole thing his wife was a wreck and no-one seemed to think he would last past Halloween. He surprised everyone and lived another year and a half.
In lieu of flowers, his widow has asked we all donate to a cancer charity.

I shall be more than surprised if any of the money donated gets spent of Fluevogs.

Once again, because at this moment it seems to me that it cannot be said enough; "Fuck you Greta Christina".

Axel

Post by Axel »

If this guy is real or his nyn, they will remember his name. People have lost their jobs for less than this. Expect more of this baitin'. This strategy 'writes itself'.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Over the last 30-40 minutes I've been going back and reading the early days of the pit.

I can't imagine it could be better said than in the words or William Wordsworth's "French Revolution":

OH! pleasant exercise of hope and joy!
For mighty were the auxiliars which then stood
Upon our side, we who were strong in love!
Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!--Oh! times,
In which the meagre, stale, forbidding ways
Of custom, law, and statute, took at once
The attraction of a country in romance!
When Reason seemed the most to assert her rights,
When most intent on making of herself
A prime Enchantress--to assist the work,
Which then was going forward in her name!
Not favoured spots alone, but the whole earth,
The beauty wore of promise, that which sets
(As at some moment might not be unfelt
Among the bowers of paradise itself)
The budding rose above the rose full blown.
What temper at the prospect did not wake
To happiness unthought of? The inert
Were roused, and lively natures rapt away!
They who had fed their childhood upon dreams,
The playfellows of fancy, who had made
All powers of swiftness, subtilty, and strength
Their ministers,--who in lordly wise had stirred
Among the grandest objects of the sense,
And dealt with whatsoever they found there
As if they had within some lurking right
To wield it;--they, too, who, of gentle mood,
Had watched all gentle motions, and to these
Had fitted their own thoughts, schemers more mild,
And in the region of their peaceful selves;--
Now was it that both found, the meek and lofty
Did both find, helpers to their heart's desire,
And stuff at hand, plastic as they could wish;
Were called upon to exercise their skill,
Not in Utopia, subterranean fields,
Or some secreted island, Heaven knows where!
But in the very world, which is the world
Of all of us,--the place where in the end
We find our happiness, or not at all!

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

Lsuoma wrote:Linkie?

[spoiler]http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircr ... Xlarge.jpg[/spoiler] needed.
At least, that's what Ophelia had decided to start using. I thought I saw a commenter use it too, but can't find the reference.

[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/RUishS4.png[/spoiler]
[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/fn1KLnE.png[/spoiler]

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

cunt wrote:
Exactly. Do that, and Nerd Of Redhead, Brownian, Sally Strange, Caine etc. will be on you within the hour to do the slymepits heavy lifting.

Forget to mention, age your accounts. Register one and don't use it or use it sparingly for a month or so then hit them on particularly offensive or ridiculous thread, and don't brag about it here. Stealth mode.
http://i.imgur.com/VPTC8xz.jpg

The other thing is, if you argue with them firmly, politely, with facts and logic, then you aren't a troll, (though they certainly will call you a troll) and so the eventual banning is the actual reward, their resigning, your winning of the game. And in many ways it's an educational process. Helps me hone my arguments, and makes sure I understand what I am saying, or learn how to say it better next time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

aweraw wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Linkie?

[spoiler]http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/aircr ... Xlarge.jpg[/spoiler] needed.
At least, that's what Ophelia had decided to start using. I thought I saw a commenter use it too, but can't find the reference.

http://i.imgur.com/RUishS4.png
http://i.imgur.com/fn1KLnE.png
So "this thread" won't "work out" because Pitters had the temerity to actually exemplify the nebulous allusion that OCC had made in her precious victimhood? Well, sucks to be her, because her vile bluff has been called, and she's holding a 7-high hand. I don't think that acid should be thrown in her face, but I'd gladly see OCC in the stocks and rotten fruit and veg being thrown at her. She is despicable.

OCC = Old Cobweb Cunt ( and probably mildew too, BTW))

Dan

Post by Dan »

Lsuoma wrote: So "this thread" won't "work out" because Pitters had the temerity to actually exemplify the nebulous allusion that OCC had made in her precious victimhood? Well, sucks to be her, because her vile bluff has been called, and she's holding a 7-high hand. I don't think that acid should be thrown in her face, but I'd gladly see OCC in the stocks and rotten fruit and veg being thrown at her. She is despicable.

OCC = Old Cobweb Cunt ( and probably mildew too, BTW))
You make it sound like Ophie McPrune's cunt is like Jurassic park or an open range zoo.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Reap wrote:[spoiler]
welch wrote:
Reap wrote:Here's my reply to Ophelia and her "Heroic Standard" blog. I really wonder how much it must suck to just sit around and cry while you wish things better
Christ Ophelia what do you expect from the world? Life isn't fair, bad things happen, people are unfair sometimes too. By saying "People shouldn’t have to overcome barriers that shouldn’t be there in the first place." You may as well say "People shouldn't die" and then go into a pointless spiral of why people should get to live forever and how bad dying is. Nature created barriers not people. They are a part of evolving. I'm glad there are barriers for us to overcome. Since life doesn't allow us to choose what barriers it deals to us sometimes those barriers are unfair to say the least. The alternative is sailing through life with no challenge, nothing to aspire to, no accomplishments, and no progression. It would be some people's idea of heaven but not mine. You can't start the game at the end of it and expect to get anything from it.
Harriet Hall lives in the reality I am describing. She accepts that life is going to keep doing what it always has. It's the way she deals with it that makes me respect her. Instead of crying and complaining she acts on what she can change and does the best she can with what she can not change. Best thing is...She accepts science. Take a look at the latest atheist census numbers. Look at the numbers of men who identify as atheist vs the numbers for women. Then try to convince people the numbers at atheist conventions should be 50-50 men/women. What are you going to do about that problem? Are you going to force women to start calling themselves atheists and force them to attend conferences? I simply can't believe some of the crap I hear coming from the FTB 'skeptics/atheists' I don't know if you think by repeating rhetoric enough times it will become accurate data or if you are just convinced you are correct and above error. Whatever it is I'm just glad it seems to be limiting itself to this one box of FTB. I wonder if you will ever manage to climb out.

Ophelia wants the world planed smooth for her. She wants no challenge harder than making coffee, she wishes all accomplishments to be handed to her simply because she showed up. To her I say:

http://zenpencils.com/comic/86-randy-pa ... ick-walls/

How bad do you want it? That's what you get.

When my son was much younger, third grade or so, we would play "Pokemon Stadium" together. The first few times we played, I won, and he started talking about how that was unfair, because I was older. I told him:

"Kiddo, I'm not going to ever "let you win". I think that's a kind of lying, and I try not to lie to you. But I will tell you this. If you practice, you'll get better, and one day, you'll beat me. When you do, you'll know that I didn't let you win, but that you earned honest victory from an opponent who was sincerely trying to wipe the floor with you. I guarantee, you'll like how that feels."

A month or so later, he won. Wasn't pretty, the little bastard had turned into some kind of video game Patton on me. The victory dance lasted about twenty minutes, and I let him have every minute of it because he'd earned it, fairly and honestly.

If the only victories and achievements we get are the ones handed to us, then we don't have shit. Sure, we all wish things were easier or better. But to actively try to make things go all "Harrison Bergeron"?

That's kinda fucked up.
[/spoiler]
Barbara Drescher and I talk about the same thing on the next AA podcast, at length. I'll have it posted tonight or tomorrow morning
http://angryatheist.info/?p=1005&utm_so ... a-drescher

Just listened to (and quite enjoyed) that episode; it touched on narcissism, skepticism & lack thereof, and cognitive biases (among other topics).

comslave

Post by comslave »

Reap wrote:Here's my reply to Ophelia and her "Heroic Standard" blog. I really wonder how much it must suck to just sit around and cry while you wish things better
Christ Ophelia what do you expect from the world? Life isn't fair, bad things happen, people are unfair sometimes too. By saying "People shouldn’t have to overcome barriers that shouldn’t be there in the first place." You may as well say "People shouldn't die" and then go into a pointless spiral of why people should get to live forever and how bad dying is. Nature created barriers not people. They are a part of evolving. I'm glad there are barriers for us to overcome. Since life doesn't allow us to choose what barriers it deals to us sometimes those barriers are unfair to say the least. The alternative is sailing through life with no challenge, nothing to aspire to, no accomplishments, and no progression. It would be some people's idea of heaven but not mine. You can't start the game at the end of it and expect to get anything from it.
Harriet Hall lives in the reality I am describing. She accepts that life is going to keep doing what it always has. It's the way she deals with it that makes me respect her. Instead of crying and complaining she acts on what she can change and does the best she can with what she can not change. Best thing is...She accepts science. Take a look at the latest atheist census numbers. Look at the numbers of men who identify as atheist vs the numbers for women. Then try to convince people the numbers at atheist conventions should be 50-50 men/women. What are you going to do about that problem? Are you going to force women to start calling themselves atheists and force them to attend conferences? I simply can't believe some of the crap I hear coming from the FTB 'skeptics/atheists' I don't know if you think by repeating rhetoric enough times it will become accurate data or if you are just convinced you are correct and above error. Whatever it is I'm just glad it seems to be limiting itself to this one box of FTB. I wonder if you will ever manage to climb out.

I'll just leave this here:
[youtube]U30dYpSUVUw[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Guest wrote:“BTW, not that it'll make an ounce of difference to Cobweb Cunt, but there is not nor ever has been a Jerry Conlon or similar user name registered here.”

My, but someone's throwing a tammy strop, no?
Aye. In any event JTC apparently:

Last visited: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm
Total posts: 11

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

1) Thanks for pointing to it; yes, indeed, looky, there's that name in a post here at the pit.

2) FWIW, there's nothing about that post that sounds unreasonable (and JTC has 10 other posts, if someone feels the urge to comb through them as a homework assignment or in preparation for reporting him; hi, Ophelia!)...but even if there was, anyone can post here, with or without creating an account; banning & editing of posts & blocking & disemvowelment are not done (spoiler snafus, and rarely a spammer, as exceptions to the no-edit/no-ban mantra, as basic maintenance in order to keep the pit from becoming unreadable, or at least that's how I see it)

3) Slymepit isn't responsible for that guy's, or anyone's, Tweet, no matter how ill-advised, or (in other cases) how witty or on-target.

4) In posting a story about an acid-attack and throwing the spotlight on her own fear of such an attack, Ophelia is the one who started the ball rolling down that particular chute (though indeed the person who tweeted the presumably-joking possible-threat is responsible for the content of his Tweet).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jerry Conlon, what a fucking idiot.
Ophelia must think Christmas just came twice.
Her stupid post about her own situation being comparable to that of that acid attack victims was attracting tumbleweeds from her sycophants - even they could sense she was flailing wildly to get in on the victim roster.

And then up pops Conlon with a perfectly wrapped gift.

If he had posted the same here I would have no hesitation in calling for him to be banned from here.
Yes, we allow freedom of speech here but once you start putting things that could be considered a threat then you are not only acting like a vile fuckwit, you are putting the whole board in danger of being closed down (the same goes for posting porn here.)
It was a vile and disgusting post by Conlon. Whether it was a joke about exfoliating agents or not (and I presume not - it looked to me like he tried to use that as an excuse afterwards) it could be interpreted as threatening. If Ophelia does feel threatened then nobody here is defending the guy. Ophelia, if you think it was a real threat rather than a disgusting 'joke' then report him to the police.

By the way I was amused by wowbagger jumping in to the fray.

http://i.imgur.com/7ecvqr8.jpg

Remember, this is the same individual who said the following:

http://i.imgur.com/MupR00h.jpg

He specifically emphasized that he wasn't joking.
Aren't both wowbaggers and Conlon's comments equally bad?

If Conlon should be banned (and, as I've said, if he posted it here I would say yes ban him) then shouldn't wowbagger? (and other members of the FTB horde such as brownian and spokesgay who have made similar statements in the past.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ixnay on the anhammerbay, I say. Someone posts a kneejerk threat like that here, let him then have to defend his comment here. (Posting a credible specific threat would warrant reporting to whichever authorities would have jurisdiction, which probably depends on location, but I don't see a reason to ban unless someone is so disruptive the board can't function. Or unless there's some legal reason to need to restrict a person's access; I'm not sure how that works, who has jurisdiction, etc.)

IMO Wowbagger's 5/2012 comment is worse than JTC's recent one, because Wowbagger clarified that s/h/it meant that s/h/it was specifically wishing an actual horrible death on a specific person/poster. JTC's "clarification" was that s/h/it was talking about skin products and Ophelia's face.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dick Strawkins wrote:...Remember, this is the same individual who said the following:

http://i.imgur.com/MupR00h.jpg

He specifically emphasized that he wasn't joking.
Aren't both wowbaggers and Conlon's comments equally bad?

If Conlon should be banned (and, as I've said, if he posted it here I would say yes ban him) then shouldn't wowbagger? (and other members of the FTB horde such as brownian and spokesgay who have made similar statements in the past.)
Banned? Shit, here's the little martinet once again showing he expects royal indulgence when it comes to living by the rules he sets for others:

http://i.imgur.com/Rc15D0e.jpg

PZ is citing Wowbagger's "excellent response" (which is just the tired "smug atheist" trope theists used to annoy him with) in a speech on Sept 2, 4 months after Wowbagger lost his shit.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[youtube]1jXLo4_dGBQ[/youtube]

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Absolutely.

The screeching harpy-queen of atheism plus (Rebecca "Elevator-bane" Watson) equates this type of comment to "threats" and has built a career around (allegedly) receiving them.

[spoiler]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 101237.jpg[/spoiler]

If that standard applies to her, it should apply to anyone.

Right?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Skep tickle wrote:Ixnay on the anhammerbay, I say. Someone posts a kneejerk threat like that here, let him then have to defend his comment here. (Posting a credible specific threat would warrant reporting to whichever authorities would have jurisdiction, which probably depends on location, but I don't see a reason to ban unless someone is so disruptive the board can't function. Or unless there's some legal reason to need to restrict a person's access; I'm not sure how that works, who has jurisdiction, etc.)
It wasn't a threat. It was atrocious, but it wasn't a threat.

A threat is a communicated intent to inflict harm or loss on another person.

Let's not buy into their language just because we're offended too.

sacha

Post by sacha »

comslave wrote:
welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: I'm racist. I fucking hate honkies.
One of them self-hating crackers.
I'm not racist, but honkies should all be in camps.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody.
"Now, personally, I am baffled by the concept of racial prejudice. Why hate someone based on the color of their skin when, if you take the time to get to know them as a human being, you can find so many other things to hate them for?" - Dennis Miller

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Trully a despicable tweet by Jerry. And if he was trying to joke, the delivery was just aweful. And yes, indeed, he posted here 11 times, none of his posts being nefarious in any way http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... 1&sr=posts

Maybe it was just a rookie mistake, but one that may cost dearly.

sacha

Misanthropic Bitch = Goddess

Post by sacha »

and speaking of Misanthropy:

I Respect Your Feelings as a Woman
"...Women are confused. They don't want sensitive men because they're too weak, but when men overpower them, they run to the police because they know that their power lies in manipulation. They're only independent, strong crusaders until the fist hits the face. It would be almost admirable if they were consciously playing both sides of the fence, but they lack the intelligence to do so.

Statistics show that women are just as likely to be the instigators of domestic violence as men, and if they don't directly cause the abuse session, they indirectly cause it by pushing buttons.

Women aren't timid, peace-loving creatures. In a female-dominated world, violence wouldn't be eradicated. Studies estimate the rate of domestic violence among lesbians is comparable to the rate of domestic violence among heterosexuals, showing that the warm embrace of a woman is often preceded by a right hook.

Women have become the sexually abused children of the '90s. No one doubted the "precious, innocent" children in the myriad sex abuse cases that rocked the '80s. Now, no one doubts women. If she says it was abuse, it was abuse. If she neglects to mention that she destroyed her boyfriend's vast pornography collection and tithed ten percent of his income to the Church, so much the better for the women's movement.

Women like a good fight but only on their conditions, and those conditions are rarely expressed to their partners. Emotions eventually take over. The novelty of a tough boyfriend wears off. She either expects him to change his ways - her ultimate goal, even though the reformed abuser will bore her to tears -- or he will pay the price. A whipped man is a man who garners no respect from his woman, but an aggressive man is a man who will awaken to find his bed engulfed in flames.

Men can't win. Here's a tube of AstroGlide. Use it, and save yourself the hassle of a relationship.

But men get off easy. They can go home at the end of the day, forget that real-life women exist, and jerk off into a sock to thoughts of acquiescent whores. I'm a woman, and the hypocrisy displayed by women affects my standing in the world. I can't avoid them. I can't ignore them.

While this attitude can be tolerated in the bedroom and home -- how Kristy treats her husband has little bearing on my life -- its spread to the real world marks trouble for the rare woman with a brain and a touch of sanity. (And perhaps, too much testosterone.)

If Kristy spends her evenings ridiculing her boyfriend's sexual prowess, boohoo for the emasculated shit, but unless his repressed anger manifests itself in a lunchtime shooting at the local Taco Bell, it won't affect me. When Kristy spends her evenings devising how she can force her company's insurance policy to cover costly infertility treatments, it doesn't bode well for women who just want a paycheck and not a company-sponsored designer baby.

Even Lifetime, the television station that bills itself as for women, frequently shows movies about insane, irrational women. Women who steal babies. Women who kill pregnant women, rip out their babies, and claim the infants as their own. Women who stalk their ex-husbands. Women who kill their ex-husbands and their ex-husbands' new wives. Women who can't have babies, go nuts and shoot elementary school students. Women who are depressed. Women who are depressed and suicidal. Women who are victims.

And that's the crux of the women's movement -- women are victims. They need help to become strong, and if they're not strong enough, they need protection.

Women claim that they want equality, but they still want to be coddled. They pout and stomp their feet when their boyfriends take too long to buy a $5000 diamong ring, but they cry out that they "don't need no man" when their boyfriends refuse to deal with an unexpected pregnancy.

Is it any wonder that men don't know what the fuck women are about?

Contrary to what directors of women's studies programs would have us believe, women are not tools of the patriarchy. Women are the patriarchy...
-Misanthropic Bitch (2001)

Rich White Girl Syndrome
"... The sufferer sees rape, sexual abuse and discrimination everywhere. If a woman doesn't buy into it, she's obviously not in touch with the feelings of her oppressed sisters. She's overprivileged. She's never experienced "real life." She's a lily-white fuck toy of the patriarchy.

Never mind that the chicks who cry loudest about that shit are overprivileged white ones. That's why it's so goddamn annoying because you know they're exaggerating an experimental fingering at a make-out party in the 7th grade to full-blown rape..."
Fuck, I miss her so

rayshul unplugged

Post by rayshul unplugged »

They're using mildew pit so people won't find us. They're already discovering how many people come to the 'pit via them, read a bit, realise - oh, they're not that bad - and stop buying in to their lies.

Will log in at some point and change my signature to reflect the phrase mildew pit to hopefully help SEO, so anyone googling this curious place will be led to the pit.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rocko2466 wrote:
Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Well, Wowbagger is already jumping on that "approved by the Slymepit" bandwagon:

"I don’t know; for something like that he’s likely to win the Slymepit’s ‘Heroic Freethinking Skeptic of the Year’ award, and be asked to join Skeptic Ink as their newest member. Justicar, Thunderfoot and NoelPlum99 will mention him as a fine fellow in their next 137 YouTube videos (about a week’s worth). Russell Blackford will buy him a drink and Jeremy Stangroom will ask him to be his wingman for his next big night on the town."

(from OB's latest post on her acid tweet)
I'm on record here multiple times as stating posting on FtB is a waste of time, but I had to respond to Wowbagger. I basically told him to please leave us out of this because we're all currently over at the Pit saying what a horrible thing Jerry Conlon tweeted. If it makes it past moderation, I'm sure the usual suspects will jump all over it with their usual impeccable anti-logic. But I felt it needed to be said.
I did too. I posted as Danger Mouse using my real email address and signing off as Rocko2466 (just to get past the filter!)

Hi Ophelia

As you know, because you visit, the Slymepit has been roundly condemning this guy's stupid idea of a joke. I should also point out that he isn't a slymepitter (not that it would matter, because the Slymepit doesn't ban, which is why oolon is still around from time to time!)

I think you should also point out that the tweet is obviously a response to your article where you claimed that your getting criticised on the internet was akin to the plight of acid victims (which you conveniently have omitted from this article). The guy was poorly parodying your unjustified claim.

It is clearly not a threat.

I wish you wouldn't be so disingenuous. And I wish your commenters weren't such sheep.

Thanks Ophelia. I look forward to reading about your skeptic / philosophy material when you one day decide to return to it.

- Rocko2466
Well, as of 7 AM EST, neither of us has made it through moderation. The commenters are doing their damndest to portray Conlon's garbage as "typical Slymepitter behavior", and have not mentioned our unanimous condemnation of his tweet. The dishonest propaganda continues.

Unfortunately, apparently Conlon does have an account here. One of O's commenters did some googling -

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=40275#p42405

Corylus

Re: Darn

Post by Corylus »

mordacious1 wrote:I see Corylus stopped by earlier, I missed my chance to ask her what a nice person like her is doing in a slymepit like this.
Yo, Mordy! Lovely to see you darling.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

Gumby wrote: Well, as of 7 AM EST, neither of us has made it through moderation. The commenters are doing their damndest to portray Conlon's garbage as "typical Slymepitter behavior", and have not mentioned our unanimous condemnation of his tweet. The dishonest propaganda continues.
It is disappointing to see just hand them more ammunition.

And what's up with people setting up local car dealerships with test drives for PZ Myers? Are those people that hang out here, or are those examples of more serious personal vendettas from people in his past? Is anyone owning up to that? Does anyone know who or what that was all about?

I just want to make sure I know who the good guys are, and I'm still feeling my way around.

KacyRay

Post by KacyRay »

Correction: It is disappointing to see *someone* just hand them more ammunition.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

KacyRay wrote:
Gumby wrote: Well, as of 7 AM EST, neither of us has made it through moderation. The commenters are doing their damndest to portray Conlon's garbage as "typical Slymepitter behavior", and have not mentioned our unanimous condemnation of his tweet. The dishonest propaganda continues.
It is disappointing to see just hand them more ammunition.

And what's up with people setting up local car dealerships with test drives for PZ Myers? Are those people that hang out here, or are those examples of more serious personal vendettas from people in his past? Is anyone owning up to that? Does anyone know who or what that was all about?

I just want to make sure I know who the good guys are, and I'm still feeling my way around.
Noone here did it - at least not that's admitted to it (and I wouldn't expect it from a pitter, tbh).

I just think PZ's going nuts.