Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
BrianAllenAptJ

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by BrianAllenAptJ »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
rayshul wrote:I quite like pitters. Better than being "the pits". Hahaha.

With all these radio shows and bloggers on here we could wind up with our own skeptic network. Hahahah.
That's actually not a bad idea.
I think this is already a network. But I am always willing to do more shows on Apartment J

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

franc

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless wrote:I joined at an odd time apparently. Here I was expecting (as far as A+ puts it) the greatest hive of scum and villainy I'd ever find and instead... well, at the moment it looks like a 4chan franchise location. I gather that changes at random, so this should be a fun place.
Sigh, ok. But this is the last time -

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 556600.jpg

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

hah. Not up on the community jokes or I'd be firing up gimp =)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

AchronTimeless wrote:hah. Not up on the community jokes or I'd be firing up gimp =)
Start at page number one and read until present. That'll get you caught up.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Feck. Spelling fail...

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Lsuoma I need info on all this, some of this stuff I dont get. Email please? < 3

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

While there’s been a fair amount of water under the bridge since this request from Mykeru - who seems about to be canonized or crucified or both, I figure that I would respond to it in any case even if just to keep the books straight:
Mykeru wrote:
Steersman wrote: If Mykeru’s name is so readily available on his blog – which he acknowledged and pointed to once if not several times in his tweets – one has to think that his “umbrage” is more feigned than real, more suggestive of crocodile tears and a chess gambit.
Usually I let your crap slide because it's obvious your strong point isn't paying attention to details that don't feed your confirmation bias for whatever point you are trying to tug out your ass.
“Confirmation bias” seems to be a common failing, even in this neck of the woods, albeit less so.
Mykeru wrote:I have no idea where you got the notion that I pointed to my name on my blog in my Tweets, initiating or otherwise, but again, details isn't what you are good at. What I refer to was the FTB effort to dig through internet archives. I never said the name was on the current version of my blog.
Speaking of “confirmation bias”, you might actually do me the courtesy of actually reading what I’ve written instead of what fits into “whatever point you’re trying to tug out of your ass”. I didn’t say that you “pointed to [your] name on [your] blog”, only that your name is readily available on your blog, directly or indirectly, which you acknowledged by pointing to where and how it was available:

http://i47.tinypic.com/35hg2zm.jpg

And, looking at those tweets again, I would say that you tweeting “it’s on my website copyright, genius” qualifies as you “pointing to [your] name on [your] blog in [your] tweets”. In addition, while you didn’t specify there whether you were referring to the current or old version of your blog, a post by John Welch and your response there seems to justify the conclusion that it had been the current one, although it doesn’t seem to be there now.
Mykeru wrote:Again, this may be too nuanced for your level of pompous stupidity, but saying that someone who was obviously spending a lot of time and effort digging for it and was thwarted by their own incompetence isn't the same thing as it being "readily available".
While this may be not obvious enough to make it through the brain fog caused by the frequent venting of your spleen, the aforementioned post by Welch is likely to convince most that that information was in fact “readily available”. Unless you wish to try arguing that his “incompetence” is only marginal or that he only found the information through blind luck.
Mykeru wrote:You know nothing about the sort of right wing loons [who] doxed me back then, and how they scared the shit out of my then wife who didn't take the "your wife (all 5'2' and 100 lbs of her) would be easy to spot" remarks in the light-hearted manner in which they were intended.
Truly sorry to hear that; and more power to you in your efforts to cut them off at the knees – figuratively speaking, of course – and likewise with the “left wing loons” who seem to have found a home in feminism: canons to the left of us, canons to the right. However, I’m not sure it is particularly wise or justified for our “point men” or women – our leaders or shapers of opinion – to be trying to hide behind cloaks of anonymity: cases in point, while not at all exhaustive, justifying the contrary being Benson, Coyne, Dawkins, Kirby, Maltseva, Myers, Pigliucci, Stefanelli, Vacula, Zvan, etc., etc., etc.

In addition, I tend to the view, if not totally committed to it, that the public has a right to know the names of people who act in the public sphere. Which is why I’m more than just a little sympathetic to A Voice for Men recently “outing”/doxing the protester(s) at the University of Toronto. Although I rather wonder how Girl Writes What – who was, if I’m not mistaken, somewhat bent out of shape over the prospect of having her name revealed – felt about those efforts by A Voice for Men. And I am likewise sympathetic to the Pit “revealing” Brownian’s real name and you that of “Creepy Bitter Girl’s”.

However – where the wicket gets a little stickier is, to mix metaphors, when the chickens come home to roost – when the principle one champions is applied to one’s own actions: more specifically, the revealing of your name by Greg Laden. While I’ll readily agree that the publishing of a previous address of yours was a decidedly stupid if not criminal act, it seems to me that the Creepy Bitter Girl case – in spite of your “legal notice” [@14:50] which seems little more than a “hail mary pass” – is of a piece with the Laden case and with all of the other cases: “committing illegal and unethical acts doesn’t mean [anyone] has or deserves anonymity.” Sauce for the goose; sauce for the gander. Otherwise a charge of hypocrisy seems rather credible and likely to stick.
Mykeru wrote:Fuck you.
And fuck you too. [Was it good for you too?] If you wish to give the appearance, at least, of being almost as much of a dickhead as the caricature of Laden by acting hypocritically then expect to get called on it.

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

DownThunder wrote: This is the worn-thin argument template that has been used:
1. Try to change people's behaviour/opinion on trivial issue X.
2. Misogyny is serious, state that issue X is misogyny
3. Trivial issue X becomes serious.
It does often work, but only part of the time. The other result that they did not factor in is the opposite effect - the word misogyny loses its impact.
My understanding is that this is part of a larger strategy by some segments of the political left in the US.. to shutdown the opposition through intimidation. It apparently started in the colleges sometime in the 80s or 90s.
College Professor Censors Anti-Obama Comment on Free Speech Wall
The Atlantic's Wendy Kaminer on Free Speech, Hate Speech, and Anti-Bullying Laws
Tammy Bruce explained this in her 2002 book.. The New Thought Police: 30 min lecture + 1+ hr Q&A.. brilliant, well worth the time
Ms. Bruce talked about her book, The New Thought Police: Inside the Left’s Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds, published by Prima Publishing. The book discusses the Left’s impact on cultural issues in the United States. Ms. Bruce argues that the Left has created an environment in which legislation is used to control how people think and McCarthyite tactics are used to destroy those who express politically incorrect ideas. She discusses the cases of radio host Dr. Laura Schlesinger, Politically Incorrect host Bill Mahr, and murder victims Matthew Shepard and Daphne Sulk. Ms. Bruce also talks about her own experience working within the liberal organizations that she now criticizes. Ms. Bruce answered questions following her remarks.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Cracks me up to see them referring to "the sex tape", apparently in all seriousness, instead of ignoring it & waving it off as parody.

Next thing you know, references to that video will come up on google searches of "greg laden stephanie zvan sex tape".

Oh, wait. It already brings up Stephanie's post which contains at least 2 links to the tape for all to see. But maybe that's what they want, giving another big stir to the pot of outrage.

(Add "mykeru" to the search phrase & up pops a still from the video on a google image search.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Uh, Jim? I think we found one of your crown jewels. Looks like it rolled down here into the 'pit after your last run-in with Zvan. It got kinda dried up; sorry 'bout that, man. But you'll be glad to hear it's still as fiesty as ever.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

So, I finally got around to watching Christina Hoff Sommers doing a talk on the "War Against Boys", and she quotes Camille Paglia near the end. Anywho, I've been on Paglia's Wikiquote page for the past hour and a half and.....GODDAMN! WHY AM I JUST NOW FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS WOMAN?!

I don't agree with every thing she says, but goddamn! GODDAMN! :clap:

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
50 posts per page, 760 pages = 38,000 posts. Sir, you greatly overestimate how much effort I'm willing to put into this.

I'm more a "learn as I go" kinda girl anyway.

franc

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
50 posts per page, 760 pages = 38,000 posts. Sir, you greatly overestimate how much effort I'm willing to put into this.

The search thread box is pretty good. Might also point you to Phawrongula -

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Phawrongula_Wiki

Shocking isn't it? No one yelling at you for being a n00b.

franc

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

Oh, and the bald prick with glasses, that's Greg "men are testosterone damaged women" Laden, the world's smartest man without a Wikipedia entry.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Oddly, never really had a problem with that. I have a knack for jumping in and running with it most the time. I knew better than to join the thoughtcrime reprogramming guild over on FTB, because I knew the welcome I'd receive as soon as a few details about me were found out.

Funny thing is, though I've mostly stayed out of the whole mess, even I have had a random personal attack from PZ on an unrelated issue. Was mentioning it and heard this is where I come to collect my t-shirt. So, here I am =)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

There’s definitely been a lot of ground covered. As franc indicated, the Phawrongula Wiki does give some background as does some of the archive pages on Scented Nectar’s site [archive here]. But at some point after you have skimmed at least some of that I found that the best way is just to dive in at the deep end and start commenting - even if some aren't happy about answering questions. And then search those sites - and previous comments - for requisite fill-in material as required.

Welcome aboard; and good luck. :-)

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

You'll catch on quick, probably. Jump in the fucking deep end and start swimming. If you get too lost, ask questions, and we'll probably answer them. You may get called a fucking idiot, but that's just how we show affection around here. Except for Phil. He's actually a fucking idiot. We forgive him because he's Fretalian and has a sexy accent, though.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Steersman wrote: There’s definitely been a lot of ground covered.
Yeah, I caught wind of all this around "elevatorgate", declared it to be insanity, and figured it'd burn itself out in a few weeks. Imagine my shock.
Steersman wrote: Welcome aboard; and good luck. :-)
Appreciate it, I'll need a fair bit. As much as the books/movie annoyed me, have to say I'm fond of "may the odds be ever in your favor" since the luck thing gets complicated with people's personal interpretations.

Still want a recurve bow though...

franc

Post by franc »

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

JackRayner wrote:So, I finally got around to watching Christina Hoff Sommers [snip] quotes Camille Paglia near the end
Good finds. Thanks for sharing!

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

franc wrote:
I see we have a race to the bottom. OK -

http://i.imgur.com/pVa4e.png
So wait, next round will be 2 people riding in her twat getting offended at each other? (That's a mental image I could've done without inventing)

sacha

Post by sacha »

Za-zen wrote:The king of spear chuckers
Prince Charming

In Bromley in May, the Prince saw Barbara Dubery, 90, in a wheelchair, wrapped in a foil blanket to fend off the cold, and asked her: “Are they going to put you in the oven next?”
To Susan Edwards and her guide dog in 2002: “They have eating dogs for the anorexic now.”
“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.” 2000.
I find it quite entertaining when the SJWs and PC Police try to shame him.

sacha

Post by sacha »

codelette wrote:
rayshul wrote:
codelette wrote:Wanted to share this here, cause I know you guys will get a good laugh at this feminist's cognitive dissonance. I was reading Jessica Valenti's twitter (google her. she's your quintessential "first world problems" middle-class white feminist) and came across this tweet:
Jessica Valenti ‏@JessicaValenti
Tonight, this is what victory looks like http://instagr.am/p/Tpal1djfej/
Click on the link to see her daughter's Xmas gift:

lol. 'cause, gender binary and shit.
Maybe she just bought her a kitchen so she could tell her daughter to stay out of it. Like a training exercise or something.
Hopefully, she also bought some bread to teach her about other tools of the patriarchy
"little girl, I'm gonna teach you about how NOT to make a sammich!"
I think Valenti has it wired to give an electric shock that intensifies if her daughter does not back up immediately.
"This is what victory looks like"

Phil_Giordana_FCD

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Rystefn wrote:
Except for Phil. He's actually a fucking idiot. We forgive him because he's Fretalian and has a sexy accent, though.
Hey now!

I don't have a sexy accent!

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Ok, given that I haven't slept yet and I've been hanging out on this forum, this video reminded me of the folks at FTB. Figured some of you might agree especially given the mating... well "ritual" doesn't quite cover it.

[youtube]Z-BbpaNXbxg[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Steersman wrote: There’s definitely been a lot of ground covered.
Yeah, I caught wind of all this around "elevatorgate", declared it to be insanity, and figured it'd burn itself out in a few weeks. Imagine my shock.
Steersman wrote: Welcome aboard; and good luck. :-)
Appreciate it, I'll need a fair bit. As much as the books/movie annoyed me, have to say I'm fond of "may the odds be ever in your favor" since the luck thing gets complicated with people's personal interpretations.

Still want a recurve bow though...
Interesting – remember seeing the advertisements for the movie, but hadn’t ever felt particularly motivated to see it – maybe why I’ve been accused of being “pop-culture deficient”. But from a quick survey it looks like it might be worth the effort, although I wonder. For instance, shooting from the hip, this seems a little too fatalistic for my tastes:
(The slogan of the games, chanted by game officials, is “May the odds be ever in your favor.”) If the odds aren’t in your favor in this world, hunger, malnourishment, poor working conditions, or death are part of your story.
Certainly the cards we’re dealt are, apparently anyway, largely a matter of luck. But knowing how the game works can very significantly improve them.

sacha

Post by sacha »

JackRayner wrote:
"So don't make women feel vindictive towards you!"

Ha! Haha! HahahahaHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I would love to be able to laugh at that, but It is far too close to being (as franc would say) The Banality of Evil

The US court system is already 3/4 of the way there.

Men who apologise for and make derogatory comments about their gender while exhibiting master/slave level masochistic self-hatred, are already applauded by a majority of western society.

We are headed to a place where the quote above is the standard thought process.

I find that to be intensely frightening.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Little late to the party but meh....

http://memecrunch.com/meme/DDOJ/delivar/image.png

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Welcome to our newest members.
May your misogyny grow daily and may you contribute much to this rape culture we live in.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Paul Myers happy to have a hive mind.
I am quite fond of most of the commentariat here, even when they’re turning their teeth on me — it is exactly what I want, a fierce legion of harsh, sarcastic, opinionated, ferocious critics who can unreservedly shred fools and assholes and who are unrestrained in their expression. I’m not going to back away from my comments section at all; you are the people I want here, and I affectionately regard you all as my local meatgrinder.
Please don’t change. And when necessary, unleash hell.
http://www.freezepage.com/1356688792MOHLXYXAMS

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Welcome to our newest members.
May your misogyny grow daily and may you contribute much to this rape culture we live in.
Thanks! Since rape apparently means "going out for drinks before sex" these days, or as I used to call it "a date", I'm looking forward to contributing in a very real and physical way.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AchronTimeless wrote:
Thanks! Since rape apparently means "going out for drinks before sex" these days, or as I used to call it "a date", I'm looking forward to contributing in a very real and physical way.
If buying a lady a drink and then having sex with her is "rape" then why not spike her with Rohypnol anyway?

franc

Post by franc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
AchronTimeless wrote:
If buying a lady a drink and then having sex with her is "rape" then why not spike her with Rohypnol anyway?
I think this is my favourite tweet of 2012, VirtualSatyr on SulkyAmy fleeing TAM in tears -

http://i.imgur.com/SKJe6.png

sacha

Post by sacha »

comslave wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Neat! Just found out I'm listed here: http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobabi ... n-sexists/
F*ck! I'm not on the list yet! Have to try harder. :shock:
Gefan wrote: Does this get updated regularly? If so, can I get coaching on how to be included next time?
I know that I'm late to the party and everything but I''m willing to take instruction and work hard.
That's Damon's list, but you have both ensured that your name will never appear on a Baboon's list.

Out of all the "chill girls", "sister punishers", and "gender traitors" here, I am by far the most extreme. I am a brutal and merciless cunt towards women who display the most minor sexist behaviour. There is not one woman I completely trust, and away from the pit, very few I even like. I'm the first to admit I'm an MRA, and I've been like this as long as I can remember.

I'm an elder, established, life-long gender traitor

The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor, but at first, they were not sure about the others, they were expecting to offend them, or shame them. Of course now they know that being on the list is considered an honor to most of the women, a trophy, a notch on their belts.

If you want to get them to name you specifically, you have to use reverse psychology.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
Oh good, then Saint Mai won't see me say that Saint Mai doesn't belong in EssJay if she can't stand some criticism.

If she can't manage to be an oppressive ass--and clearly she can't--then she shouldn't be a mod. Period, end of.

This is not the first oppressive fuck up Saint Mai has made. Saint Mai was all for putting Matt Fucking Dillahunty above the rules because he's her FRIEND. Saint Mai was all for allowing her FRIEND Mr Samsa to be an abuse apologist and for demanding that oppressed people prove to her that abuse is really abuse.

AND SHE IS SORRY I FEEL THAT WAY.

And Saint Mai is all for letting some people--her FRIENDS--run around acting like assholes, for allowing herself to act like an asshole, for trampling all over boundaries, but oh she doesn't like you and you best be "nice", the anti tone policing rule be DAMNED.

NON EXISTENT GOD FORBID WE MAKE SAINT MAI SAD.

Admins, I hope YOU are fucking reading this.

You, yes YOU, have put in power someone who cannot be assed to put aside personal feelings. Where I come from--and I have adminned and modded many communities--if you can't do that without killfiling someone, you step down.

You have allowed a woman to continually, intentionally trigger people because she can't be assed to examine her own prejudices and behaviors. Oh because I make her feel bad so she had me killfiled, so she doesn't see "Yeah don't do that". HOW. FUCKING. CONVENIENT.

WHAT THE BLAZING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?????????? ON WHAT PLANET IS THIS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR FOR A MODERATOR??????

I expect an explanation. Because this is FUCKING bullshit and clearly you don't understand social justice. Good job on the "safe space". You keep using those words. They don't mean what you think they mean.

This is why I don't trust you. Because you don't fucking deserve it. You're the same privileged assholes who are in charge everywhere else.

http://www.freezepage.com/1356691408VRTTZARSOU

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

franc wrote: I think this is my favourite tweet of 2012, VirtualSatyr on SulkyAmy fleeing TAM in tears -

http://i.imgur.com/SKJe6.png
Ahh...Memories. T-shirt-gate. Probably my favourite moment of all the drama in 2012.

Laden's impending breakdown is entertaining and all but it's marred by the presence of Laden. Becky's talk at Skepticon was more fail than funny but T-shirt gate had it all: Feminist over-reaction, tears, tantrums, witch hunt, hypocrisy, backtracking, lying, humiliation, mass-bans and maximum hilarity.
The baboons have 3 days to top it. I doubt it's gonna happen.

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:
The thing is, the Baboons have always known I'm proud to be a gender traitor
at least once they were no longer convinced I was franc pretending to be a woman. I think some still believe that.

AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

Dan wrote:Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
Honestly, while that was a bit shall we say "off-kilter" it wasn't what I found disturbing. The rest of the conversation from that freezepage link (which btw I am so remembering that site from now on) shows a more frightening glimpse at the systemic dumbfuckery being cultivated over there. One person going off on a rant is entertaining, but seeing what passes for being little jabs from everyone else just because they smell blood in the self-important waters...

I really can't convey my feelings properly aside from the amount of painkillers I'm suddenly in need of from having my eyebrows tweaked violently in opposing directions while facepalming with great intensity. Can I sue them for whiplash, or would that be considered a privilege of being a vertebrate animal?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dan wrote:Kassiane not happy with "Saint Mai"at atheismplus
*snip* Where I come from--and I have adminned and modded many communities...*snip*
Yeah. Sure. I believe you Kassaine. You just don't want to be specific because of privilege. On another note I'm a Royal Marine with 56 kills this month.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote: You won't make the list either. Damion only wants real sounding names on the list.
I know that's what he says, but everyone knows my real name is sacha
(and most know my last name - shhhh - silence! - one must not speak it, for it is evil incarnate, and vocalisation of its name, could unlock the gate)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Sex tape? What sex tape?

Oh, they mean the dumb little GIF animation of a dog going all humpy on a cow that barely notices it.

The Drama, oh, the drama.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Ape+lust wrote:[minge]http://i.imgur.com/tezKr.jpg[/minge]
Ignoring actual content in a prickish manner: Man, I like that radial star-burst background. Did you do that using PhotoShoop polar coordinates?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I like how Stefyf and Greg think Mykeru "made a sex tape" of a dog fucking a cow. As if he was sat in a muddy field directing the animals whilst he filmed them. It never crossed their mind that he uploaded a pre-existing animated Gif. from the web.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Mykeru wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:[minge]http://i.imgur.com/tezKr.jpg[/minge]
Ignoring actual content in a prickish manner: Man, I like that radial star-burst background. Did you do that using PhotoShoop polar coordinates?
I wish I was shoopin'. I use GIMP, a prickly beast that needs to be beaten into submission before it'll do anything (it's a filter called Line Nova).

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Let's get rid of Infirmary Feminism, with its bedlam of bellyachers, anorexics, bulimics, depressives, rape victims, and incest survivors. Feminism has become a catch-all vegetable drawer where bunches of clingy sob sisters can store their moldy neuroses.
Paglia again. Fuck me Rayner that chick is quotable.