Periodic Table of Swearing

Continuation of the post at Abbie Smith's ERV blog (http://scienceblogs.com/erv/)

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby AndrewV69 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 am  •  [Post 13751]

Steersman wrote:PZ probably wouldn't be caught dead with a cat for a house pet as otherwise I expect Jerry Coyne would never let him hear the end of it ...


OK I will bite. Why not? What is the issue here?
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mr Danksworth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 am  •  [Post 13752]

I'm being a glutton for punishment and looking into feminist intersectionality theory. Does anyone have any links to discussions of the theory outside of the femishpere?
"Go home, pineapple." Sara Mayhew.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
.
.
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am  •  [Post 13753]

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:PZ probably wouldn't be caught dead with a cat for a house pet as otherwise I expect Jerry Coyne would never let him hear the end of it ...


OK I will bite. Why not? What is the issue here?

PZ pretends to, or really does, hate cats. So, when Coyne shows funny or cute cat vids on Saturdays as 'Caturday', PZ will post and 'Anti-Caturday' other animal. I think he's trying to be funny. Don't quit your day job, ass prof!
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Zhu Wuneng » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 am  •  [Post 13754]

Hey, just wanted to say, it was cool talkin with y'all. I have some very serious family and work issues cropping up right now, so I can't really justify allotting time to recreational arguing, much as I love it. Maybe next year! Peace.
User avatar
Zhu Wuneng
.
.
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mr Danksworth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm  •  [Post 13755]

Bot alert.
"Go home, pineapple." Sara Mayhew.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
.
.
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:22 pm  •  [Post 13756]

Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm  •  [Post 13757]

Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Spam

Postby mordacious1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm  •  [Post 13758]

Of course, this won't any since one that spam gets deleted but,
when I was in High School, I had a friend who called his dads new wife the "step stool". It became a meme with a lot of really dirty jokes involved. I think the jokes got him through having to live with her for two years.
User avatar
mordacious1
.
.
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Spam

Postby mordacious1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 pm  •  [Post 13759]

make any sense....it doesn't make any sense without that too.
User avatar
mordacious1
.
.
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ERV » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 pm  •  [Post 13760]

Scented Nectar wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.

Dont look at me!
Image
LOL!
User avatar
ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby AndrewV69 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:51 pm  •  [Post 13761]

Mr Danksworth wrote:I'm being a glutton for punishment and looking into feminist intersectionality theory. Does anyone have any links to discussions of the theory outside of the femishpere?


Seeing as it is a feminist theory I suspect you may have a bit of difficulty finding anyone outside of that circle jerk discussing it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality
Intersectionality is a feminist sociological theory first highlighted by Kimberlé Crenshaw (1989). Intersectionality is a methodology of studying "the relationships among multiple dimensions and modalities of social relationships and subject formations" (McCall 2005). The theory suggests—and seeks to examine how—various biological, social and cultural categories such as gender, race, class, ability, sexual orientation, and other axes of identity interact on multiple and often simultaneous levels, contributing to systematic social inequality. Intersectionality holds that the classical conceptualizations of oppression within society, such as racism, sexism, homophobia, and religion-based bigotry, do not act independently of one another; instead, these forms of oppression interrelate, creating a system of oppression that reflects the "intersection" of multiple forms of discrimination. [1]


So we get people like Marcott loudly proclaiming that any charge brought by a woman should be assumed to be true (thus the trial is all about determining punishment) and not to determine guilt or innocence if a man is alleged to be the perpetrator.
http://www.kickaction.ca/node/1499
The word “intersectionality” comes out of a metaphor coined by the critical legal theorist Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw to explain how race oppression and gender oppression interact in Black women’s lives.


I am reasonably certain I have mentioned Critical Theory before, well Critical Legal Theory is going to take that one step further (already has according to some people) look into the activities of Catherine Ann MacKinnon for example.

*cackle* I like it actually. Have your enemy change laws to oppress himself, while you just supervise the whole process, while proclaiming yourself to be oppressed. It is beautiful, no denying it. One step further than requiring two female witnesses to be equal to one man, instead the word of one woman supersedes the word of any number of men.

/snark (but not really)

So here we have in Canada the IIRP (Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy) out of SFU (Simon Fraser University)
http://www.sfu.ca/iirp/index.html
The Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy anchors a vibrant interdisciplinary community of scholars, researchers and students who have moved to the forefront of intersectional scholarship in Canada. The Institute provides opportunities to collaborate with other organizations, Centres, and Institutes at SFU and beyond who are developing intersectionality as a framework for health research and policy.

http://www.sfu.ca/iirp/ibpa.html
There is growing recognition that governments should be evaluated by their ability to deliver and implement policy that can correct power imbalances and address differential and distributional health impacts including avoidable, inequitable and unjust differences in the health of diverse groups of people. An intersectionality-based policy analysis (IBPA) Framework has been developed to improve upon current Health Impact Asessment (HIAs) tools and frameworks. This volume provides an overview of the IBPA Framework and brings together scholars who have developed and applied this innovative policy analysis approach to complex health issues in and beyond British Columbia, Canada. The collection demonstrates the ways in which IBPA may be used by diverse policy actors who seek to tackle health inequities when making health and health-relat- ed decisions at the level of policy and programming.


BTW, having moved to BC from Ontario, I am under the impression that effective and timely delivery of health care services in BC, is in a worse state that in Ontario (I am involved in volunteer community work so I have seen some of the issues first hand).

Should be interesting to see what develops further down the road.
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm  •  [Post 13762]

Michael K Gray wrote:(Sacha: Now you know how Penny feels in the Big Bang Theory?)


haha!
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JAB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm  •  [Post 13763]

Scented Nectar wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.


That's OK... we can all "foe" the bot... problem solved until the next one.
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him." Mark Twain
User avatar
JAB
.
.
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: My Privilege (asshole)

Postby astrokid.nj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm  •  [Post 13764]

Saint N. wrote:From the people that brought you "This is Atheism +"

Good stuff.. The description of his father's and grandfather's lives reminded me of this interview with a old-timer MRA.
If you were to give a state of the union address on the condition of modern men, what would some of the highlights be?

Unlike a lot of guys who hang around with “Men’s Rights” types, I’m far more positive about the condition of modern men than most of them. A lot of men are leading longer, healthier, lives than the average man ever has before in history. We have what is from a historic perspective a miraculous level of health care available to us. The modern world is full of convenience, and comfort, and simple survival is no longer the real challenge that it used to be for a lot of men.

I also think men have a great deal more freedom regarding life choices – if they choose to exercise that freedom – than the average man has in the past. The social changes of the past half-century have made the provider role optional for men. We are now free to choose lower stress ways to make a living and pursue that “work-life balance” which is one of the favorite buzzwords of our contemporary culture.

Modern communications technology has made ignorance of any subject a choice – the internet alone puts far more information resources at anyone’s fingertips than even huge university libraries had when I was growing up. Transportation technology gives us mobility that was only dreamed of barely a century ago. I can literally get to almost any part of the world in a few hours – instead a few weeks or months. The real barrier today to a man’s horizons is his motivation, drive, and interest – compared to times past when the simple act of traveling a few hundred miles was arduous and challenging.

And, something which a lot of people don’t think about is the fact that there are fewer men from the United States – both in terms of raw numbers or as a percentage of the population – who are walking around crippled or mutilated as a result of war than at probably any time in the past; certainly in the past 150 years or so.

Statistics and factoids, unfortunately, do not do a very good job of capturing a sense of what an environment is really like. To try to illustrate what social conditions were like in the past compared to today, I like to use the example of building the Panama Canal. Approximately 25,000 men died during its construction. Now, try to imagine for a moment what social conditions must have been like for so many men to find it attractive to take that kind of risk with their lives. How many men do you know today who would volunteer to head off to the jungle and face a high probability of death? The pressures going on in the lives of those men are probably beyond anything we can imagine today.

Or, take the “White Feather” campaign. Imagine being so sensitive to social pressure that having a woman hand you a white feather would be shameful enough that you would sign up to go to war in order to avoid it. I think a lot of men today, probably most if we are talking about younger men, would say “Take that feather and shove it where the sun don’t shine.”

Or, consider the “Mormon Migration.” Between 1846 and 1868, thousands of people made the arduous 1300-mile journey from Nauvoo, Illinois (or Independence, Missouri) to the area of Salt Lake City, Utah. Many made the trek on foot pushing the sum total of their worldly possessions in a handcart. Many perished along the way.

Imagine a life so hard and hopeless that walking a thousand miles or more dragging everything you own in a handcart was an attractive alternative. Then look around at the life you lead today and try to tell me with a straight face that you don’t have things pretty darned good.
User avatar
astrokid.nj
.
.
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Atheist MRA MGTOW

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 pm  •  [Post 13765]

In the voice of Ricky Ricardo calling "Luuuucccccyyyyy", I have to say, Lsssuuuuoooommmaaaaaaa, what have you done putting me in charge!??!?!?!?
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby ERV » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm  •  [Post 13766]

Me and scented keeping the spam at bay:
User avatar
ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby The Pelagic Argosy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 pm  •  [Post 13767]

ERV wrote:Me and scented keeping the spam at bay:
[youtube]

Hey, spammers! SPEED it up a little!
User avatar
The Pelagic Argosy
.
.
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:09 pm  •  [Post 13768]

Dick Strawkins wrote:James, the issue I would take with your current stance is that it doesn't take into account the case of "dictionary feminism".
Dictionary feminism is the basic one line description of feminism that most people will give if asked to define it. It goes something like: "feminism is the call for women to be given equal treatment in terms of job and wage opportunities, employment and other basic human rights."
In other words it is a description for humanism as applied to women, and as such it's the sort of stance that most people, whether MRAs or otherwise, accept.

Now I realize the problem is that your opposition to feminism doesn't entail an opposition to the "dictionary feminism" I've just described and, instead, is really an opposition to political feminism (patriarchy theory, rape culture, male privilege, etc), but I think it's worth noting, just in case you are accused of being in favor of withholding basic human rights from women.


I don't care for so-called "dictionary feminists". When established feminism doesn't look anything like what the dictionary would have one believe, which should I go by? If someone wants to call themselves a feminist, have at it. I'm not going to adopt and promote a label based on some lay person's subjective perception of it, however. And I'm not going to stop criticizing it because someone believes feminism is nothing more than "The radical notion that women are people too." Fuck, I believe women are people too! There's nothing new or radical about that. I support women's rights, and I do it just fine without adopting bullshit "theories".

To me it's similar to the "moderate" Christian that says "Well, that's not MY Christianity." OK. Great! So, what are you doing to battle this version of Christianity that you claim to oppose? Nothing.

If someone decides that my rejection of feminism means that I hate women and oppose women's rights, and they give me no opportunity to explain my actual position, then they can fuck off too...
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm  •  [Post 13769]

ERV wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.

Dont look at me!
Image
LOL!


People, our overlords! (wouldn't have them any other way).
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm  •  [Post 13770]

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
ERV wrote:Me and scented keeping the spam at bay:
[youtube]

Hey, spammers! SPEED it up a little!

Uh oh. Sacha? Help?

I actually worked in two different chocolate factories as a teen, working out of a temp place that sent me to various factories. There used to be both a Neilson's and a Rowntree's here in Toronto, although I think both are now closed or moved. Only one conveyor belt (and I was on a lot of different ones) made me vow to never touch a candy bar that has peanuts in it. I still won't. It was a line where our job was to pull out the bad peanuts as they all went past us. With two of us working each side of the moving assembly line, which was a solid covering of peanuts a foot across, and which were layered double high so half were hidden (!!!), went by us at way too fast of a speed. Nasty, rotted looking, already shelled peanuts slipped past us along with the good ones, and ones we couldn't see at all at the bottom layar, and sometimes there peanut sized contaminants, like one thing I pulled out of there which was some sort of squishy larval cocoon as far as I could tell. Ugh. There were 4 of us pulling out the bad looking stuff, but we had a Lucy and Ethel sort of thing happening. Bad looking things went past us and onwards into the candy bars. We just did our best, and got paid. I was only on that line for a couple of days. I think that was at Neilsons, around 1979 or 80. Rowntrees provided quite fairly timed assembly lines, and they treated everyone really good too. However, while Neilsons was good in the personal hygiene requirement, I was grossed out that none of my Rowntree coworkers seemed to wash their hands after the toilet. They just went back to work where in some cases they directly touched chocolate with their bare hands. And I'll leave the rumours other workers told me out of this, since I didn't see any of those things personally.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:37 pm  •  [Post 13771]

Spelling, grammar, wall of text paragraph. What just happened? blarrgghhhh.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm  •  [Post 13772]

Zhu Wuneng wrote:Hey, just wanted to say, it was cool talkin with y'all. I have some very serious family and work issues cropping up right now, so I can't really justify allotting time to recreational arguing, much as I love it. Maybe next year! Peace.


Sorry to hear that, I hope you pull through. Darwinspeed!
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm  •  [Post 13773]

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
“sheesh” yourself ... :-)


Oh FFS!

I just got an idea for a blind date service ... I can just see it, match up a you what with a you know what.


??? Something does not compute. Maybe due to some different, incongruent or false interpretations of the word “sheesh”:

sheesh (shsh) interj.
Used to express mild annoyance, surprise, or disgust.


Considering that I suffixed my comment with a smiley, I would think either of the first two possibilities would have been the most reasonable interpretations ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm  •  [Post 13774]

JackRayner wrote:Don't know if any of y'all are familiar, but there was a debate that a feminist was trying to set up, titled "Has Feminism Gone Too Far?" The original planner started receiving a bunch of hate and threats from feminists, and so she called it off. It's known that it was feminists sending the threats, and yet the popular lie is that it was the MRAs, and it's even spread onto that junk-site "Jezebel". Anyways, here's the lasted [and most telling] update on that;



Seriously though, I'm getting to the point where I'm just about done being charitable to any feminist's argument... Why bother?

Interesting video there – thanks.

As for “being charitable to any feminist’s argument”? Maybe because that “any” covers a lot of ground [all of it] and that there might actually be some feminists who might actually be brought back from the “dark side” by actually addressing their arguments honestly. For instance, even the infamous Sally Strange has conceded that “the few isolated good points that MRAs have are indeed good points”, although she seems frequently to forget that she has done so - and in spite of frequent reminding …. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….

But , after all, none of us can claim to be omniscient, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, at least to maintain any claim to sanity ...
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Spam

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:55 pm  •  [Post 13775]

mordacious1 wrote:Of course, this won't any since one that spam gets deleted but,
when I was in High School, I had a friend who called his dads new wife the "step stool". It became a meme with a lot of really dirty jokes involved. I think the jokes got him through having to live with her for two years.

I'm reminded of an old joke. Do the jokes involve the line "may I push in your stool for you?"
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Spence » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm  •  [Post 13776]

ERV wrote:Me and scented keeping the spam at bay:

It could be worse. At least the menz aren't trying to run the line. We'd only be worse.

mickeycheese.gif


(With notpologies to drimble at b3ta. Hell, so many others have stolen this I figured one more time wouldn't matter)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
inde vides agilem nocturnaque bella gerentem
Spence
.
.
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:52 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:57 pm  •  [Post 13777]

I'll repeat myself, but:

Steersman, oh my Steersman:

Buy yourself a sense of humour.

(although I must admit, there's some funny shit to have in reading you. I'm too Monthy Pythoned to comment on it right now).
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm  •  [Post 13778]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Polls show that 97% of statistics are made up bullshit.

I guess then that the poll you refer to is among the other 3% ....

But while I’ll agree that statistics can certainly be misused – as might even be the case with those on the incidence of rape – it seems that the benefits derived from the discipline and the science are pervasive if not profound ....


Steersman, oh my Steersman:

Buy a sense of humour.

Been looking to buy one of those, but so far, no luck – obviously, at least in the view of some. You have any ideas? E-bay perhaps? [Someone sold his soul there some time ago, so an estate sale of a sense of humour is a possibility.] Or maybe go to Helen Hunt whom, I’ve been told, has many things of that nature in her bag-of-tricks? .... :-)

But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it. While you’ve indicated you frequently play things for the laughs, that seems to be very context dependent. And, in addition, my comment was directed at or made available to everyone else, not all of whom are likely to have seen it as you apparently intended ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby AndrewV69 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:01 pm  •  [Post 13779]

This is a "Chill Girl". Right?




Her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/emilyhart?feature=watch
Disce aut discede
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/

Ick. AndrewV69, proud slimepitter and MRA, with in.malafide in his email address? No. Just no. Fuck off.
- PZ Myers 26 July 2012 at 3:17 pm
User avatar
AndrewV69
.
.
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm  •  [Post 13780]

But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it.


Oh, come on now! You're taking the piss, aren't you?
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm  •  [Post 13781]

Steersman wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Seriously though, I'm getting to the point where I'm just about done being charitable to any feminist's argument... Why bother?

Interesting video there – thanks.

As for “being charitable to any feminist’s argument”? Maybe because that “any” covers a lot of ground [all of it] and that there might actually be some feminists who might actually be brought back from the “dark side” by actually addressing their arguments honestly. For instance, even the infamous Sally Strange has conceded that “the few isolated good points that MRAs have are indeed good points”, although she seems frequently to forget that she has done so - and in spite of frequent reminding …. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….

But , after all, none of us can claim to be omniscient, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, at least to maintain any claim to sanity ...


Simply put, when a self-proclaimed feminist claims they're for "equality", I'm not going to be giving them the benefit of the doubt...
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 pm  •  [Post 13782]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it.


Oh, come on now! You're taking the piss, aren't you?

Not really; I clearly remember thinking you quite possibly had a serious intent to your comment. Seems to me that people should be thinking that using the Internet for conversations is very much like being autistic – no visual cues from faces and body language to confirm the interpretations that many of us take for granted based on familiarity and experience .... privilege and all that ...
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:28 pm  •  [Post 13783]

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it.


Oh, come on now! You're taking the piss, aren't you?

Not really; I clearly remember thinking you quite possibly had a serious intent to your comment. Seems to me that people should be thinking that using the Internet for conversations is very much like being autistic – no visual cues from faces and body language to confirm the interpretations that many of us take for granted based on familiarity and experience .... privilege and all that ...


Would you really take the statement "Polls show that 97% of statistics are made up bullshit." as serious? Because if so, I have to question your skepticism. This meme has been going around the net for a while. And the enormity of it alone should give you a cue.
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:34 pm  •  [Post 13784]

JackRayner wrote:
Steersman wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Seriously though, I'm getting to the point where I'm just about done being charitable to any feminist's argument... Why bother?

Interesting video there – thanks.

As for “being charitable to any feminist’s argument”? Maybe because that “any” covers a lot of ground [all of it] and that there might actually be some feminists who might actually be brought back from the “dark side” by actually addressing their arguments honestly. For instance, even the infamous Sally Strange has conceded that “the few isolated good points that MRAs have are indeed good points”, although she seems frequently to forget that she has done so - and in spite of frequent reminding …. Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….

But , after all, none of us can claim to be omniscient, appearances to the contrary notwithstanding, at least to maintain any claim to sanity ...


Simply put, when a self-proclaimed feminist claims they're for "equality", I'm not going to be giving them the benefit of the doubt...

I certainly am not prepared to “give them the benefit of the doubt” as there are, obviously, more than a few of them who are totally off the wall and out to lunch. In which case it is entirely acceptable to be asking where they are coming from and which of the many feminist ideologies they happen to subscribe to. But that is, I think, quite a bit different from “not being charitable to any feminist’s argument”.

One might even suggest that the cases and difference between them is pretty much analogous to Zvan and company mentally taking the “leap of faith” – so to speak – from thinking that all men are potential rapists to thinking that they are, in fact, all rapists ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:36 pm  •  [Post 13785]

AndrewV69 wrote:This is a "Chill Girl". Right?

Video: _i9w4SF6qfU

Her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/emilyhart?feature=watch

Reminds me of having given an ex-girlfriend a book titled “Pornography for Women”. And in it were a bunch of captioned photos of men in no-more revealing or obscene poses than a no-shirt or open-shirt pose. And the captions from the guys were things like “I can watch the Super Bowl anytime; it’s more important that we watch The Bridges of Madison County together”. And, “Let’s invite your mother over to stay as long as she wants”. And, “As long as I have two legs, you’ll never have to take out the garbage again.” ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby CommanderTuvok » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm  •  [Post 13786]

Did anyone catch the next-to-last SGU podcast?

Steve Novella mentioned that he had to deal with someone arguing about Queen Bee, and he demolished their arguments and their "hate". Does anybody know who this person was?

Also, they all had a really good laugh at the guy who got knocked over and killed after he dressed up in a "Bigfoot" costume. I've got no problem with that myself, but don't the Baboons have really strict standards about jokes and what people should find amusing?
User avatar
CommanderTuvok
.
.
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 pm  •  [Post 13787]

James Onen wrote:Seeing as we're on the topic of 'dictionary' feminism vs. gender feminism...



8-)


Have I mentioned how much I adore her?

GWW is simply brilliant.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby cunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:51 pm  •  [Post 13788]

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:
franc wrote:If the name was hidden, there's simply no way to differentiate the gibberish of the big baboon and his shitlick accomplice -

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... smandmras/



You know that after the Thunderf00t episode, there was no way in hell Peezus would let anyone in who didn't goosestep to FTB/A+ radfem dogma. Especially someone he lets write on his own blog.


What was the point of that post by Chris Clarke?
I thought he was brought on board by Peezuz to write some more environmentally orientated articles. This current one is like PZ-lite on social justice warrior mode. He complains about MRAs not recognizing evidence and neglects to add any evidence of his own to the entire post. I guess it was more a rant about MRAs in general but it's a silly idea to complain about others not accepting evidence when all you are offering yourself is a whiney anecdote.


I don't know. I think it's this cartoon in blog format.

Image
You are a bad person. You say horrible things and you should feel bad about yourself.
User avatar
cunt
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 2739
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 pm  •  [Post 13789]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it.


Oh, come on now! You're taking the piss, aren't you?

Not really; I clearly remember thinking you quite possibly had a serious intent to your comment. Seems to me that people should be thinking that using the Internet for conversations is very much like being autistic – no visual cues from faces and body language to confirm the interpretations that many of us take for granted based on familiarity and experience .... privilege and all that ...


Would you really take the statement "Polls show that 97% of statistics are made up bullshit." as serious? Because if so, I have to question your skepticism. This meme has been going around the net for a while. And the enormity of it alone should give you a cue.

No, I did not take the statement itself as serious; I recognized the hyperbole in it. Part of my reason for my “the other 3%” comment which I should have tagged with a smiley instead of the, I thought, equivalent ellipsis [...]; mea culpa.

But what I was questioning – and responding to – was the apparent intent behind it: considering that the only context for your comment that seemed relevant was my previous comment to MKG, I thought your comment was an attempt to “take the piss out of it”, i.e., to “mock, tease, ridicule or scoff at” the serious nature of the discussion, to wit, the benefits of understanding how a certain “low” frequency of supposed rapes can lead to a fairly large portion of the population which has been exposed to that type of assault ....

As for the “meme going around the net for a while”, apart from noting that the net is a very large and inhomogeneous place and that not everyone is familiar with every last crook and nanny in it, that is indeed unfortunate and probably contributes not a little to some inappropriate “hyper-skepticism” about the subject in question. A “false negative”, if I’m not mistaken ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby cunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm  •  [Post 13790]

AndrewV69 wrote:This is a "Chill Girl". Right?




Her channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/emilyhart?feature=watch


Posh girl. Bet she has a pink VW Beetle parked outside.
You are a bad person. You say horrible things and you should feel bad about yourself.
User avatar
cunt
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 2739
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm  •  [Post 13791]

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
But in the absence of an emoticon or two one might at least be forgiven for thinking your comment had a serious motivation for it.


Oh, come on now! You're taking the piss, aren't you?

Not really; I clearly remember thinking you quite possibly had a serious intent to your comment. Seems to me that people should be thinking that using the Internet for conversations is very much like being autistic – no visual cues from faces and body language to confirm the interpretations that many of us take for granted based on familiarity and experience .... privilege and all that ...


Would you really take the statement "Polls show that 97% of statistics are made up bullshit." as serious? Because if so, I have to question your skepticism. This meme has been going around the net for a while. And the enormity of it alone should give you a cue.

No, I did not take the statement itself as serious; I recognized the hyperbole in it. Part of my reason for my “the other 3%” comment which I should have tagged with a smiley instead of the, I thought, equivalent ellipsis [...]; mea culpa.

But what I was questioning – and responding to – was the apparent intent behind it: considering that the only context for your comment that seemed relevant was my previous comment to MKG, I thought your comment was an attempt to “take the piss out of it”, i.e., to “mock, tease, ridicule or scoff at” the serious nature of the discussion, to wit, the benefits of understanding how a certain “low” frequency of supposed rapes can lead to a fairly large portion of the population which has been exposed to that type of assault ....

As for the “meme going around the net for a while”, apart from noting that the net is a very large and inhomogeneous place and that not everyone is familiar with every last crook and nanny in it, that is indeed unfortunate and probably contributes not a little to some inappropriate “hyper-skepticism” about the subject in question. A “false negative”, if I’m not mistaken ....


Let me reassure you there was no intent other than humour. Now, if you want to blow it out of proportion, that's your privilege (haha). I have nothing to say about this statistics discussion as I've said my bit a year ago on Abbie's thread. If you're interested, go look for it. If not, let's move on.

"False negative"? Try "other cultures"... (criptic sign off for tonight, have a nice one folks!)
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:23 pm  •  [Post 13792]

Scented Nectar wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.


I'm online via the phone. I'll have a look when I'm with the computer.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm  •  [Post 13793]

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Bot alert.

Uh oh, this looks like a valid spam deletion. I'll have to figure out how to do it.

I can't figure out how to delete the 2 spam posts, and I can't figure out how to disable that spambot user from further posts.

If Abbie or Sacha can figure it out, that would be great. I think I'm a little too scared to fuck with things in the administration panel. I clicked onto different tabs, but couldn't find anything from glancing at those.


I'm online via the phone. I'll have a look when I'm with the computer.


MATRIARCHY!!! (good night again)
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm  •  [Post 13794]

Scented Nectar wrote:In the voice of Ricky Ricardo calling "Luuuucccccyyyyy", I have to say, Lsssuuuuoooommmaaaaaaa, what have you done putting me in charge!??!?!?!?


get your twisted panties in order. The cunt who shuns underpants is going to take care of it.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm  •  [Post 13795]

ERV wrote:Me and scented keeping the spam at bay:


HAHAHA!
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 pm  •  [Post 13796]

sacha wrote:I'm online via the phone. I'll have a look when I'm with the computer.

Yay! And everything they say about blonds is a lie!
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:31 pm  •  [Post 13797]

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:In the voice of Ricky Ricardo calling "Luuuucccccyyyyy", I have to say, Lsssuuuuoooommmaaaaaaa, what have you done putting me in charge!??!?!?!?


get your twisted panties in order. The cunt who shuns underpants is going to take care of it.

Um, I'm not wearing any either. :P
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby The Pelagic Argosy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm  •  [Post 13798]

Scented Nectar wrote:
get your twisted panties in order. The cunt who shuns underpants is going to take care of it.

Um, I'm not wearing any either. :P[/quote]
Don't get a chill, girl! :lol:
User avatar
The Pelagic Argosy
.
.
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby The Pelagic Argosy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:42 pm  •  [Post 13799]

I love the smell of quote fail in the evening.
User avatar
The Pelagic Argosy
.
.
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 pm  •  [Post 13800]

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:...
No, I did not take the statement itself as serious; I recognized the hyperbole in it. Part of my reason for my “the other 3%” comment which I should have tagged with a smiley instead of the, I thought, equivalent ellipsis [...]; mea culpa.

But what I was questioning – and responding to – was the apparent intent behind it: considering that the only context for your comment that seemed relevant was my previous comment to MKG, I thought your comment was an attempt to “take the piss out of it”, i.e., to “mock, tease, ridicule or scoff at” the serious nature of the discussion, to wit, the benefits of understanding how a certain “low” frequency of supposed rapes can lead to a fairly large portion of the population which has been exposed to that type of assault ....

As for the “meme going around the net for a while”, apart from noting that the net is a very large and inhomogeneous place and that not everyone is familiar with every last crook and nanny in it, that is indeed unfortunate and probably contributes not a little to some inappropriate “hyper-skepticism” about the subject in question. A “false negative”, if I’m not mistaken ....


... Now, if you want to blow it out of proportion, that's your privilege (haha).


:-) Although that “blowing it out of proportion” is or was, I think, the point in question and not something to be assumed at the outset ...

I have nothing to say about this statistics discussion as I've said my bit a year ago on Abbie's thread. If you're interested, go look for it. If not, let's move on.


May do so. Although the question was raised again in the context of Justicar’s recent video on the topic and I and others may have further things to say on it, particularly as it seems to be part of the ongoing battle with various feminists ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby cunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm  •  [Post 13801]

Am I the only one actually wearing their panties. FFS.
You are a bad person. You say horrible things and you should feel bad about yourself.
User avatar
cunt
TheMudbrooker's Bitch
 
Posts: 2739
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm  •  [Post 13802]

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Um, I'm not wearing any either. :P

Don't get a chill, girl! :lol:

It's alright. Flannel pajamas are keeping me from getting a frigid pussy, er, I mean a cold pussy. :lol:
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:55 pm  •  [Post 13803]

cunt wrote:Am I the only one actually wearing their panties. FFS.

Are you on your period and need the panties so that the pads have something to attach to?
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm  •  [Post 13804]

cunt wrote:Am I the only one actually wearing their panties. FFS.


Whose? Dude, creepy...

:D
"It is science we are talking about here. It doesn't matter if you like the person making the argument. Sometimes the evidence supports the nice people and sometimes complete bastards are on the correct side of a scientific argument." -Strawkins
User avatar
Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:56 am
Location: Nice, France

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Scented Nectar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:14 pm  •  [Post 13805]

Spence wrote:
mickeycheese.gif

(With notpologies to drimble at b3ta. Hell, so many others have stolen this I figured one more time wouldn't matter)

And all this time I thought it had something to do with bacterias and gases. They must hire mice of varying sizes.
User avatar
Scented Nectar
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 am

bot removal

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:22 pm  •  [Post 13806]

bot's account and posts have been removed. I saved a copy of the entire page where his posts were, and a screen shot of the two posts, and have recorded his user name and email address.

here is a copy of the 2 posts:

bot posts.jpg


How is it that the blond (without panties) had no problem sorting this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm  •  [Post 13807]

Scented Nectar wrote:
sacha wrote:I'm online via the phone. I'll have a look when I'm with the computer.

Yay! And everything they say about blonds is a lie!


SHHHHHH

Don't EVER say that again.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:33 pm  •  [Post 13808]

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Steersman wrote:And she apparently corrected the mistake about Galileo “within minutes” of having posted the offending YouTube video.

She may well have more than a few “sins” to “atone” for, but making mountains out of molehills doesn’t seem to reflect terribly well on those doing so. Particularly in comparison to some of the rather more egregious cases in this neck of the woods, notably WoolyBumblebee’s plagiarism ....

The time to correct this is minutes before posting it (or otherwise making a public goose of yourself), not later, after your friends point out that you've made a huge floater.

So. You’re infallible then and never make any mistakes? Cool – sounds like a real privilege. But a great many of the rest of us have to kind of shoot from the hip now and again and then correct our aims afterwards through apologies and the like ....

And what the hell do Wooly's actions have to do with Becky's?

“People who live in glass houses ....”; “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam [log] that is in thine own eye?” ....
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Steersman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm  •  [Post 13809]

sacha wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
sacha wrote:I'm online via the phone. I'll have a look when I'm with the computer.

Yay! And everything they say about blonds is a lie!


SHHHHHH

Don't EVER say that again.

Ah, no wonder you have an interest in camouflage clothing, panties apparently excluded ... ;-)
User avatar
Steersman
.
.
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:41 pm  •  [Post 13810]

The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Argghhh... http://www.skepticon.org/schedule/ has (vague) workshops! I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about it. Didn't we talk about those things last week or something? :shock:

Weren't you talking about those "workshops" in those old school womyn's dos that you used to go to? I hate to see a perfectly practical and useful word like "workshop" abused in this way—not to mention the abuse of the word "work" itself (although I guess "shop" fits if there is a sulkyramics stall or such involved). I suppose the "work" in "workshop" is the same word that the likes of Prunella and Gen. McWrong use in regard to their daily pottering on the internet (in between the highs and lows of doing little happy dances and bouts of weeping).


Don't forget "Angry Vagina Craft Time" workshop

Trigger Warning - photo of Jen McCreight with her angry vagina:
http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2 ... vagina.jpg
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby sacha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm  •  [Post 13811]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you want to shame me about something, you've got to pick something I'm ashamed of" -franc
"humans as a whole are simply maladjusted animals with delusions of grandeur." -AndrewV69
It's s-a-C-h-a - with a C - as in cunt
User avatar
sacha
.
.
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby BarnOwl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:55 pm  •  [Post 13812]

Dick Strawkins wrote:What was the point of that post by Chris Clarke?
I thought he was brought on board by Peezuz to write some more environmentally orientated articles. This current one is like PZ-lite on social justice warrior mode. He complains about MRAs not recognizing evidence and neglects to add any evidence of his own to the entire post. I guess it was more a rant about MRAs in general but it's a silly idea to complain about others not accepting evidence when all you are offering yourself is a whiney anecdote.


It's been my theory from day one that his purpose is to act as a carbon-offsetting mechanism for PZ's air travel to conferences. The A+theism environmentalism platform isn't very convincing at the moment.
User avatar
BarnOwl
.
.
 
Posts: 2198
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JackRayner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm  •  [Post 13813]

sacha wrote:
Don't forget "Angry Vagina Craft Time" workshop

Trigger Warning - photo of Jen McCreight with her angry vagina:
http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2 ... vagina.jpg


:lol:

If they way Dan Savage describes his aversion to vagina is any indication, then this might be how he sees them.
User avatar
JackRayner
.
.
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 am
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby JAB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 pm  •  [Post 13814]

Since this Chris Clark seems to write just like PZ, maybe he could do a little ghost writing so PZ's vapourware book could finally get released.
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him." Mark Twain
User avatar
JAB
.
.
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Postby Mr Danksworth » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm  •  [Post 13815]

sacha wrote:
The Pelagic Argosy wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Argghhh... http://www.skepticon.org/schedule/ has (vague) workshops! I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about it. Didn't we talk about those things last week or something? :shock:

Weren't you talking about those "workshops" in those old school womyn's dos that you used to go to? I hate to see a perfectly practical and useful word like "workshop" abused in this way—not to mention the abuse of the word "work" itself (although I guess "shop" fits if there is a sulkyramics stall or such involved). I suppose the "work" in "workshop" is the same word that the likes of Prunella and Gen. McWrong use in regard to their daily pottering on the internet (in between the highs and lows of doing little happy dances and bouts of weeping).


Don't forget "Angry Vagina Craft Time" workshop

Trigger Warning - photo of Jen McCreight with her angry vagina:
http://greylining.files.wordpress.com/2 ... vagina.jpg


An 'angry vagina workshop'. Seriously? I could understand if it was an angry vagina conference, but what does it have to do with atheism/skepticism? Maybe Jenny's next big event will be Cunt-quake.
"Go home, pineapple." Sara Mayhew.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
.
.
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to Periodic Table of Swearing - The Undead Thread

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acathode, AnonymousCowherd, ThreeFlangedJavis and 11 guests