Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
tachikoma

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by tachikoma »

The Tachikoma are a series of spider-shaped battle tanks equipped with curiosity-driven A.I., from the anime TV series Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex and their derived sequels. Their later versions, Fuchikoma, was in the manga (which has one of the highest crotch-shot-per-page rates that I've ever read). They do not show up in the "Ghost in the Shell" movies directed by Oshii; the movies are almost a parallel universe and have a different focus and feel from the SAC TV series. Personally, I prefer the SAC series over the Oshii movies, which, especially the second movie, I think are navel-gazing and try too hard to be art movies.

http://i.imgur.com/hrYs6.png

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:
Guest wrote:Tachikoma,

I thought your avatar was one robot doing another robot from behind. Is this not so?
Could be couldn't it? http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Tachikoma
Have to admit, I thought it might be one for Viz's 'Up The Arse' corner.

Git

Post by Git »

Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

I thought your avatar was one robot doing another robot from behind. Is this not so?
Me too. :D

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

This just in:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/sallyst ... witter.jpg

From the above link:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/anon_rapethreat.jpg

I'm calling BS. It doesn't appear to be a "supporter", but an anonymous poster. Either a random troll or a FtB troll.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Git wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Dilurk wrote:

Me too. :D
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/ ... 40x423.jpg

:D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skeeve wrote:This just in:

From the above link:

I'm calling BS. It doesn't appear to be a "supporter", but an anonymous poster. Either a random troll or a FtB troll.
I'm honestly shocked! :o

Sally Strange actually went and got herself a job??? :o

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

[quote="Skeeve"]This just in:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/sallyst ... witter.jpg

Ahh, Soapbox Sally. Always on the hunt for more victimization. She has to be crowned Queen of the Troll Feeders.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

What's kind of funny, her and Zinnia are reposting stuff from those comments on Twitter.

There is only one problem, the Thunderf00t they think they're quoting isn't really Thunderf00t. It's someone using his handle but with a different profile:

http://en.gravatar.com/false

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

For those of you who may be interested, I debated a fundamentalist Christian pastor who was protesting an LGBT pride event I attended earlier today. I recorded our 43 minute discussion and placed it on Youtube.

[youtube]5mJlv38iQuA[/youtube]

...and as a reminder, my live online debate with Catholic philosopher Dr. Ronda Chervin is this Friday evening.
http://www.nepafreethought.org/debate

Post by Guest »

Skeeve wrote:What's kind of funny, her and Zinnia are reposting stuff from those comments on Twitter.

There is only one problem, the Thunderf00t they think they're quoting isn't really Thunderf00t. It's someone using his handle but with a different profile:

http://en.gravatar.com/false
Its impossible to even troll somebody as dense as Sally Strange. Surprised that Zinnia fell for it, she never struck me as stupid before.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Benson ragging on the Olympics:
I’m there. It can be beautiful and/or impressive to watch, but it’s still just sport, it’s not heroism. It’s not geeks landing a one-ton mobile science laboratory on Mars. On Mars. There you get the incredible accomplishment and you get the mobile science laboratory on Mars. It’s not MSF or those people who repair fistulas in Ethiopia or people who teach school in Afghanistan. It’s sport. Nobody is required to take it seriously.
Apart from the citizens of London whose daily schedules and routines have been disrupted by the Olympics, who is being required to take sport seriously?

Here's a game: replace the word "sport" above with another word or words. I'll start.

skepticism
a meeting of atheists
a blogpost
feminism
philosophy
a bunch of ceramic necklaces

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BarnOwl wrote:Benson ragging on the Olympics:
I’m there. It can be beautiful and/or impressive to watch, but it’s still just sport, it’s not heroism. It’s not geeks landing a one-ton mobile science laboratory on Mars. On Mars. There you get the incredible accomplishment and you get the mobile science laboratory on Mars. It’s not MSF or those people who repair fistulas in Ethiopia or people who teach school in Afghanistan. It’s sport. Nobody is required to take it seriously.
Apart from the citizens of London whose daily schedules and routines have been disrupted by the Olympics, who is being required to take sport seriously?

Here's a game: replace the word "sport" above with another word or words. I'll start.

skepticism
a meeting of atheists
a blogpost
feminism
philosophy
FfTB
Ophelia
S******i

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

skepticism
a meeting of atheists
a blogpost
feminism
philosophy
Sure, why take sports seriously? Why take the time to recognize the awesome abilities of these athletes, both physical and mental? Why appreciate the skill involved? The dedication? The drive, the determination? The efforts of double-amputee Oscar Pistorius? Why bother with Epke Zonderland, the "Flying Dutchment" (the IOC pulled the video of his fricking awesome releases). I'm sure Nanny Phee looks down on the poor, physical garbage from her rarified Filosofyin' world. Of course, if there was a medal event for that, she'd never get off the starting blocks.

:hand:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Thing is, you can trivialize just about anything that people find enjoyable, comforting, inspiring, interesting, or entertaining, if you compare it to MSF, cures for cancer, etc. I would have thought that a philosopher would be above such specious moral oneupsmanship.

Closing ceremony for the Olympics ... fuck yeah!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3392/3345 ... 05009b.jpg
pinkfloyd by BarnOwl83, on Flickr

(image from an old blogpost of mine on concept albums)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Hrmmm....

* Rebecca gets suspended from JREF forums.
* Returns from suspension with unauthorised privileges.
* Abuses privileges for personal entertainment.

= Joking! Get over it guys.

* PZ Myers overhears security code in conference call
* Uses code to gain unauthorised access.

= LOL. PZ's da man!

* Thunderf00t gets removed from the FtB mailing list.
* Re-subscribes using his original confirmation email.

= Criminal!!!!!

How the fuck does this shit work?

Darren

Post by Darren »

There is a new thread on JREF about the latest twist in the thunderf00t vs FtB saga. That place always cheers me up when the baboons get me down!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:For those of you who may be interested, I debated a fundamentalist Christian pastor who was protesting an LGBT pride event I attended earlier today. I recorded our 43 minute discussion and placed it on Youtube.
He is bat shit crazy. Wow.
...and as a reminder, my live online debate with Catholic philosopher Dr. Ronda Chervin is this Friday evening.
http://www.nepafreethought.org/debate
Good luck keeping your sanity.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Yes, Ophelia. The Olympics may only be sport, but sport encourages and inspires millions of people around the world.

You, Ophelia Benson, disgust a small number of people, concentrated in the atheist and skeptic communities.

Now fuck off.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

skepticism
a meeting of atheists
a blogpost
feminism
philosophy
Awesome, Barn Owl.

I would only add that this is example #2659302847563291047759302 of these asswipes dogging athleticism. It is something I have bitched about FOR AGES on SciBlogs, and about Teh Skeptic Commoonity.

My partner is smart (turns out schools actually teach stuff to kids in other countries, who knew?), but is athletically a genius (as is their whole family). Tries a new sport and picks it up immediately. I *look* athletic, but Im an athletic retard (as anyone who saw me play high school sports). What the people in the Olympics can do absolutely blows my mind. Not only what they do physically, but the mental, psychological abilities of those athletes-- AMAZING.

This isnt a zero-sum game.

It can be amazing to go to Mars, and it can be amazing to have metal legs and get to run in the Olympics, and it can be amazing to score more points than Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley, and it can be amazing to break a couple dozen world records at the 2012 Olympics, and it can be amazing that people repair fistulas in Ethiopia.

Whatever, Benson. I guess bitches gotta bitch.

Post by Guest »

Integralmath dredges up video of a bunch of morons on a panel.

[youtube]yUQdID3EBAg[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brian Maaaayyyyyyy!!11!111!1!

Dude has a PhD in astrophysics. :banana-guitar:

And Morris dancers ... AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Catching up on comments over at TFs latest post, and I come on this one, by the ever-too-tightly-wound Sally Strange
Oh darling. There are a number of ways Thunderf00t could show his lack of tolerance for your puerile sexism, none of which involve “censorship.”

1. He could simply state that he disapproves of comments about hate-fapping.

2. He could request that you stop making such comments.

3. He could revoke your posting privileges if you refuse to stop.
Shades of Franc (wasn't it?) - the old "hate fapping" comment. This is especially strange since the poster she is responding to makes no mention of fapping, until later (although I haven't checked the time stamp, it's a later comment unconnected to the one she responds to). He mentions drawing hairy cocks on the calendar, though.
:?

Post by Guest »

Whats her complaint? That sport doesn't result in anything tangible so it can't do any good. The olympics only provide inspiration for millions of people in a country that is battling with an obesity epidemic, but you know...

Oh, but i'm sure that if you took the Olympics away people would automatically become interested in space exploration if they previously weren't. That stands to reason, doesn't it?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I like that word...scientistic!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:Brian Maaaayyyyyyy!!11!111!1!

Dude has a PhD in astrophysics. :banana-guitar:

And Morris dancers ... AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
But you can only like him for his work in Astronomy. His time with Queen was misspent youth. That was your Nanny Pheelia thought for the day. And knowing is half the battle. :ugeek:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Badger3k wrote: He mentions drawing hairy cocks on the calendar, though.
:?
You can't beat (Oooh, er, missus!) CDCs for humour...

franc

Post by franc »

SteveW68 wrote:
Spengler wrote:These people are horrible.
To be fair - not ALL of them actually *are*. There are a number of the bloggers there who have not mentioned any of these goings on at all, who have kept completely out of it. As I mentioned on Twitter the other night, there are a couple of the writers there that I do have respect for and it is a shame that they will be collateral damage.
That reeks of Nuremberg defence flirtation and I refuse to buy it. A blind eye is complicity - none of them are that stupid. Maybe it is unfair to call them as the same vile moral degenerates as the FC5(6) - but it would be fair to assume that they are more than happy to ignore observed corrupt behaviour for the sake of preserving their bottom line. That places them in Dante's 8th and 9th circles - below even many hardened baboons. See particularly Bolgia 3 and Simony - abandoning principles as payment for the sake of a position in the heirarchy of office.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Guest wrote:Whats her complaint? That sport doesn't result in anything tangible so it can't do any good. The olympics only provide inspiration for millions of people in a country that is battling with an obesity epidemic, but you know...

Oh, but i'm sure that if you took the Olympics away people would automatically become interested in space exploration if they previously weren't. That stands to reason, doesn't it?
Exactly. And as Abbie points out, it's not a zero-sum game.

I live in a US city that has a terrible obesity problem, and the worst of it is that lots of kids here develop type 2 diabetes. The simple (and relatively inexpensive) solution is to encourage physical activity for children and adults. Inspire them, make it an integral part of their lives. Kick the soccer ball around with the kids in your neighborhood, shoot hoops with them, teach them to swim, teach them to ride. Work to make sure they have safe places to exercise and play sports.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Sikivu seemed almost to go into 'stream of consciousness' vective against the Horseman. Oh, they really do hate all the "privilege", don't they. What Sikivu said trivialises the scourge of white supremacism, and as a person of colour, she really should know better.

Is that mansplaining?

Anyway, she was wrong, and she comes off as a bit of a retard. Sitting next to Queen Bee doesn't help.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Anyway, she was wrong, and she comes off as a bit of a retard. Sitting next to Queen Bee doesn't help.
[youtube]0F1HMq3_eXU[/youtube]

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Dilurk wrote:
justinvacula wrote:For those of you who may be interested, I debated a fundamentalist Christian pastor who was protesting an LGBT pride event I attended earlier today. I recorded our 43 minute discussion and placed it on Youtube.
He is bat shit crazy. Wow.

I was really impressed at Justin's ability to keep calm and reasoned. He seems to know how to let out the rope to let them hang themselves. Well played.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

franc wrote:
SteveW68 wrote:
Spengler wrote:These people are horrible.
To be fair - not ALL of them actually *are*. There are a number of the bloggers there who have not mentioned any of these goings on at all, who have kept completely out of it. As I mentioned on Twitter the other night, there are a couple of the writers there that I do have respect for and it is a shame that they will be collateral damage.
That reeks of Nuremberg defence flirtation and I refuse to buy it. A blind eye is complicity - none of them are that stupid. Maybe it is unfair to call them as the same vile moral degenerates as the FC5(6) - but it would be fair to assume that they are more than happy to ignore observed corrupt behaviour for the sake of preserving their bottom line. That places them in Dante's 8th and 9th circles - below even many hardened baboons. See particularly Bolgia 3 and Simony - abandoning principles as payment for the sake of a position in the heirarchy of office.
I am confident that some on FtB don't openly disagree with or condemn some of their fellow bloggers because they'd rather
- focus on what they usually write about
- don't openly dissent, but rather privately do so
- not rock the boat
- etc

I was silent for quite a long time because I wanted to focus on what I usually write about and because I feared the retaliation.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

That Catholic "philosopher" really struggled with free will against God knowing the future. He simply didn't have an answer, other than to keep repeating stuff about having a choice, which is exactly the problem with his argument.

Also, saying x is true because the Bible says so, and x is true because "it is obvious" are laughably weak and invalid arguments.

He didn't seem like a bad bloke though, apart from his opposition to LGBT rights, etc. Certainly not as slimy and creepy as W.L. Craig.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Mr Danksworth wrote: He is bat shit crazy. Wow.
What do you expect from someone protesting an LGBT pride festival :)
Mr Danksworth wrote: I was really impressed at Justin's ability to keep calm and reasoned. He seems to know how to let out the rope to let them hang themselves. Well played.
Thanks! I really enjoy having these discussions and have a great deal of practice with these discussions...not to mention a philosophical background and extensive study of arguments for/against belief in gods.

Some friends of mine simply can't keep their cool. I can understand where they're coming from. Personally, since I used to be a religious believer, I don't get angry at people who happen to disagree with me...no matter what they happen to say. I'm hardly one to even claim offense. I've even received honest-to-god actionable threats from religious believers who were fellow peers of mine in college and was not 'offended' ...but maybe that's just my white male cis privilege talking :p

franc

Post by franc »

justinvacula wrote:I am confident that some on FtB don't openly disagree with or condemn some of their fellow bloggers because they'd rather
- focus on what they usually write about
- don't openly dissent, but rather privately do so
- not rock the boat
- etc
And I am confident that's more or less what Josef Mengele's research assistants would have said. "I mean, we didn't actually see him kill anyone right? We were focussed on writing our research..."

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok wrote:That Catholic "philosopher" really struggled with free will against God knowing the future. He simply didn't have an answer, other than to keep repeating stuff about having a choice, which is exactly the problem with his argument.

Also, saying x is true because the Bible says so, and x is true because "it is obvious" are laughably weak and invalid arguments.

He didn't seem like a bad bloke though, apart from his opposition to LGBT rights, etc. Certainly not as slimy and creepy as W.L. Craig.
This guy, as far as I know, isn't a Catholic philosopher (neither Catholic nor philosopher). The debate with the Catholic philosopher is this Friday.

I really enjoy the argument of theological fatalism! I have written extensively on this issue (with so many revisions) and have studied it with a PhD philosopher who wrote his dissertation on this matter. The 'better' responses to this issue are 'God does not see time the way we see it' and 'God only knows the possibilities, but not the outcomes.' These responses, though, still fail, because God knows the future and knows what will happen before we act, thus confining us to one set of actions - the beliefs, regardless of when God had them, can't be falsified. Some Christian philosophers, when faced with this problem, have given up omniscience altogether and have embraced what is called 'open theism' or 'skeptical theism' flat out admitting God doesn't know the future (thus he is not omniscient).

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

justinvacula wrote:I was silent for quite a long time because I wanted to focus on what I usually write about and because I feared the retaliation.
It is really sad that a lot of people in the a/s community don't want to say anything because of the fear of retaliation. That has been the aim of FfTB since the onset. It was particulary bad to begin with, just after elevatorgate, when ERV was one of the lone voices of criticism against Rebecca and Myers. That has most certainly changed in the last few months - quite a few voices in the community have "come out", or in some cases, have been bullied into coming out against FfTB. See Paula Kirby.

Now, there is a chorus of disapproval aimed at the Baboons, and that chorus is getting louder. Recent events have shown that FfTB is increasingly desperate about the situation.

As for those who still remain silent for fear of rocking the boat - I believe there are many, including a few who reside at FTB. I'm certain a few bloggers at FTB must cringe when they see what goes on in that backchannel. [Aron Ra - I'm talking to you]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

justinvacula wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:That Catholic "philosopher" really struggled with free will against God knowing the future. He simply didn't have an answer, other than to keep repeating stuff about having a choice, which is exactly the problem with his argument.

This guy, as far as I know, isn't a Catholic philosopher (neither Catholic nor philosopher). The debate with the Catholic philosopher is this Friday.
:oops:

Catholic or not, philosopher or not, these religious apologists all sound the same.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
justinvacula wrote:
Catholic or not, philosopher or not, these religious apologists all sound the same.
Well, the guy I debated made many really poor arguments that many sophisticated theologians (tm) or academic theists would make. While all of the arguments may fail, appeals to Biblical prophecies are far worse arguments than, for example, cosmological arguments :)

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
justinvacula wrote:I was silent for quite a long time because I wanted to focus on what I usually write about and because I feared the retaliation.
It is really sad that a lot of people in the a/s community don't want to say anything because of the fear of retaliation. That has been the aim of FfTB since the onset. It was particulary bad to begin with, just after elevatorgate, when ERV was one of the lone voices of criticism against Rebecca and Myers. That has most certainly changed in the last few months - quite a few voices in the community have "come out", or in some cases, have been bullied into coming out against FfTB. See Paula Kirby.

Now, there is a chorus of disapproval aimed at the Baboons, and that chorus is getting louder. Recent events have shown that FfTB is increasingly desperate about the situation.

As for those who still remain silent for fear of rocking the boat - I believe there are many, including a few who reside at FTB. I'm certain a few bloggers at FTB must cringe when they see what goes on in that backchannel. [Aron Ra - I'm talking to you]
It is really sad indeed. Skeptics, I would think, should be open to criticism and take arguments on their merits rather than attacking people. When I had written criticism of a local chiropractor who infused theology with his pseudoscience, I was very sure to quadruple-check my criticism because of fear of legal threats...and I received legal threats. When I did, I kept writing because the threats were baseless. I shouldn't have to fear blowback from people in the a/s community for writing fair criticism.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Well, PZ is crowing about this rather poor try at twisting things around. Even without looking at the writing, you can tell from a glance that this will be good:
Ruminations from a liberal, atheist, feminist, queer and pro-queer student, geek, and lover of music, film, and television.
Yep. Especially the "student" part. It get's a bit better (hah) with gems like this bit of complete misunderstanding:
For an example, at the beginning of last month, Paula Kirby released an open letter "The Sisterhood of the Oppressed", which was… wow. Basically tearing into feminist skeptics and female skeptics for acting like "feminazis" — a term borrowed from Rush Limbaugh — and claiming that they had a victimization complex the size of Soviet Russia. And what really started this? Well, DJ Grothe, the president of the James Randi Educational Foundation, had a public falling out over several bloggers including half of the FreeThoughtBlogs and Skepchick networks, over harassment policies at The Amaz!ng Meeting. Grothe had stated there was really no reason for a harassment policy because he's never received a report of harassment happening at TAM. Despite at least one prolific female blogger saying, yes, actually, she was harassed.

What the fuck?
Yeah. WTF? Do you have any idea what it is really about? I also like the conflation of one case of harassment, which (depending on who he is thinking of) may not have even been reported at the time, but only after DJ spoke out. We can be charitable - from what I remember TAM has been growing, so we're still in the realm of several thousands of people. And all you have is one case?
And to claim that people are being feminiazis or FTBullies over this? Really? Oh, those oppressive feminists! Fighting for their right to be respected! For a movement that is mostly liberal or libertarian, it runs the risk of creating unholy alliances with conservatives to push and keep these historically oppressed minorities down. And without any sense of irony and despair at their arguments being appropriated. Even Andrea Dworkin felt a little sick when her anti-​​pornographic feminism was used to oppress women.
Yeah. That's it. They are "fighting for their right to be respected". Bullshit. Even if they were, the blatant attacks and disrespect given to anyone who disagrees with them on even trivial points, that loses a lot of respect they might want. The underhanded attacks, distortions...everything takes away any respect that some people might have had, or been willing to give them. Then he brings out Dworkin as someone to admire? What I do know of her is not anywhere close to positive - maybe I'm wrong, I may look later, but I have associations of her with insanity (or perhaps rabidity would be more accurate).

You can tell this person is a student from the lack of awareness and critical thinking skills, or else perhaps it's just the filters in place.

One final - this is from a commenter there:
"I'm not letting the privilege gang having atheism though. I'm not leaving. I refuse."

Damn right! I'm not letting anyone get away with dividing the ranks into atheists v skeptics. I am both, and a FTbloggerist(?), and if FTb and Pharyngula have a reputation, then that is good. There is so much intelligence there it is scary, and that attracts people plenty to 'the movement,' a melding of atheism and civil rights.
Where's that vomit smiley..... :lol:

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

CommanderTuvok wrote:As for those who still remain silent for fear of rocking the boat - I believe there are many, including a few who reside at FTB. I'm certain a few bloggers at FTB must cringe when they see what goes on in that backchannel. [Aron Ra - I'm talking to you]
Despite his longtime friendship with Tf00t, I don't see him speaking out against FtB anytime soon, or ever. Especially after seeing that silly article his wife wrote on his blog. Also, keep in mind, he joined FtB just two months ago or so. I just can't believe he hasn't heard about any of their skeletons prior to singing on. In the crossroad of him going either the route of Tf00t or Matt Dillahunty, his continued silence/apathy suggests to me that he is more likely to follow the example set by Mr. "Facts Don't Matter, But I Still Love Truth Somehow". Though I would be happy to be proven wrong, I won't be holding my breath.

And I agree about how ERV/Abbie was for the longest time the main voice of dissent and needs to be given a bit more credit by the big-names speaking out now (giving us all a platform despite the problems it brought her with assholes like Laden, et al). It's great that other people in the a/s community are speaking out, and I honestly couldn't care less if the they like the slyme pit or not, but every time I hear DJ or Jean Kazez through ERV under the bus as having been equivalent to FtB, I'm ready to vomit (and, no, it's not alcohol related).

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

PZ Myers wrote:Oh, those oppressive feminists! Fighting for their right to be respected!
The ironic part is that feminism was probably far more respected in the a/s community before elevatorgate and FtB. The same could probably be said of PZ himself, who is now considered outside of his circle-jerk Pharyngula bubble to be a colossal jackass of stupidity and irrationality. Otherwise, why does he keep feeling the urge to defend his skeptic cred. Need to keep up the faith amongst his true believers, I suppose.

sacha

Post by sacha »

uh, what is a "banner penis"?
banner penis.jpg
(46.18 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
<---- it's from here, I watched the first 4 minutes and my head almost exploded.

sacha

MM

Post by sacha »

Steersman,

my brain is fried from re-reading "Monopod Man" posts. In regards to his film being looked through, I have no idea now if

A: it is out there somewhere, and I cannot locate it
B: It has been deleted
C: I am remembering it incorrectly (as we all know how reliable memory is, and mine is worse than most)

I do remember reading it, but who the fuck knows, therefore, I am going to go with

C: My memory is dreadful

at least until I see evidence to the contrary.

Again, sorry for mentioning it without evidence...

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

You'll notice that when PeePee organizes these podcasts, he never invites someone with an opposing view. Just like their blogs. I think if someone on the podcast was to go off-script, their skype would suddenly go blank.

At least Faux News occasionally has someone that gives the other side. These guys are just one circle jerk. C'mon PeeZus, invite TF00t on one of these...I didn't think so. PZ is a coward.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Still wondering about the following from Natalie Reed's latest post... (emphasis mine)
If this is what it’s really about, what politics are perceived as being the politics of The Atheist Movement… if it’s just a squabble over that brand… I’m cool with just letting them fucking have it. The Atheist Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on atheism. Anyone can simply come to the conclusion that religion is kind of silly and dangerous. The Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on secularism. Anyone can pitch in and help fight to keep religion from influencing legislation. The Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on skepticism. It barely practices it. Anyone can learn to value critical thought, doubt, hesitation, humility, honesty and questioning their perceptions and biases. And none of us need their permission. We don’t need DJ Grothe or Richard Dawkins or Justin Fucking Vacula’s seals of approval to do any of this.
Perhaps I will never get an explanation...
...and how did I get put next to Dawkins and Grothe? Is this a sort-of-kind-of-maybe compliment?
Witches of the week unite!

In other kind-of-related news, a press release will likely be released within the next week or two concerning a leadership role that I will be taking from a major secular organization in the US (it's currently in the works - I recently sent an e-mail answering questions/providing information for the press release). Will the #ftbullies throw a fit? It would be interesting to see why they believe I am an improper candidate for the position. Maybe it's because I somehow perpetuate 'rape culture' because one of my favorite documentaries is "The Aristocrats?" They can further make themselves look like fools if they want, I suppose. In for a penny in for a pound?

astrokid.nj

benson and olympics

Post by astrokid.nj »

She doesnt seem to be bagging on the olympics. She's quoting someone on the receiving end of 'emotional correctness patrol'.. and she's complaining that she's also a victim. (whats new, right?)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... c-fervour/
The funny thing about that is that I’ve actually paid more attention this year than I usually do, but I still haven’t escaped the emotional correctness patrol.
Prune, Can I turn that around and ask you why you turn on the emotional correctness patrol on us w.r.t your 'online threats' and 'online misogyny'?

Post by Guest »

The ironic part is that feminism was probably far more respected in the a/s community before elevatorgate and FtB.
There's feminism, and then there's the FtB brand feminism. Summed up neatly by this guy writing "misogynist" into his iPhone drawing game when he comes across usernames he doesn't like.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-430069

Steersman

Re: MM

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:Steersman,

my brain is fried from re-reading "Monopod Man" posts. In regards to his film being looked through, I have no idea now if

A: it is out there somewhere, and I cannot locate it
B: It has been deleted
C: I am remembering it incorrectly (as we all know how reliable memory is, and mine is worse than most)

I do remember reading it, but who the fuck knows, therefore, I am going to go with

C: My memory is dreadful

at least until I see evidence to the contrary.

Again, sorry for mentioning it without evidence...
No problemo; thanks muchly for looking.

But really highlights the old "What did he know and when did he know it" meme – which I see has some 13 million Google hits.

Really kind of problematic, tracking down those details, although I have to wonder how we managed before the Internet, in the bad old “oral tradition” days.

But somewhat apropos, you might be interested in this “clarification” from Natalie Reed on the question of the “threat” she perceived coming from Thunderfoot:
Natalie Reed wrote:EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: Something I noticed in the comments that I’m a bit worried about, and might make things worse, is people thinking Thunderf00t has directly threatened to out me or my name, or has suggested this is something he intends to do, for its own sake.
Certainly to be commended for having provided that, particularly as her original All In epistle certainly suggested otherwise – and which added a great amount of, apparently, bogus fuel to the fire with which the FTB mob wanted to burn Thunderfoot at the stake.

In addition, and not to be too critical of Natalie as it doesn’t look like she’s had a particularly easy row to hoe, a recent post on a thread of Thunderfoot’s points out that she had given an interview that was posted on YouTube in May. In which case one might reasonably ask how many crocodile tears were shed in that post of hers ....

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

ERV wrote: I *look* athletic, but Im an athletic retard (as anyone who saw me play high school sports).
It's true. You actually look a bit like Sarah Vollmer, the American Olympic swimmer.

They are stereotypical nerds that probably got bullied by the jocks or whatever in high school (like in the movies!) and now they're taking it out on them as petulant adults through their blags. It's sad, really.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Guest wrote:Integralmath dredges up video of a bunch of morons on a panel.

To be fair here, justicars video is a bit of a quote mine on Ophelia.

It is interesting to view the whole section rather than the tiny clip justicar excised.

Go to about the 44th minute and watch Sikivu Hutchinson's ridiculous anti-scientific hyperbole followed by Ophelia Bensons objection and then RWs remarks.

Benson's remarks were fine. It's only a pity she doesn't apply the same standards to her own blog.
RW, on the other hand comes across as a petty intellectual lightweight - as does McCreight.
If anyone else watches this tell me whether you think RW gets the guys remarks about FGM wrong, she speaks after Ophelia at about the 47th minute point (I read it as he was being sarcastic but RW essentially takes it as non sarcastic and does a 'Dear Muslima' on him!)

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Rather Dana Vollmer.

Post by Guest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Guest wrote:Integralmath dredges up video of a bunch of morons on a panel.

To be fair here, justicars video is a bit of a quote mine on Ophelia.

It is interesting to view the whole section rather than the tiny clip justicar excised.

Go to about the 44th minute and watch Sikivu Hutchinson's ridiculous anti-scientific hyperbole followed by Ophelia Bensons objection and then RWs remarks.

Benson's remarks were fine. It's only a pity she doesn't apply the same standards to her own blog.
RW, on the other hand comes across as a petty intellectual lightweight - as does McCreight.
If anyone else watches this tell me whether you think RW gets the guys remarks about FGM wrong, she speaks after Ophelia at about the 47th minute point (I read it as he was being sarcastic but RW essentially takes it as non sarcastic and does a 'Dear Muslima' on him!)
Yeah, and thanks for the link to the full video, but I think that IM's point was that she (Ophelia) simply went along with the other outrageous accusations that were made against The Four by this post-modern gibberish talking idiot.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

justinvacula wrote:Still wondering about the following from Natalie Reed's latest post... (emphasis mine)
If this is what it’s really about, what politics are perceived as being the politics of The Atheist Movement… if it’s just a squabble over that brand… I’m cool with just letting them fucking have it. The Atheist Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on atheism. Anyone can simply come to the conclusion that religion is kind of silly and dangerous. The Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on secularism. Anyone can pitch in and help fight to keep religion from influencing legislation. The Movement doesn’t have a monopoly on skepticism. It barely practices it. Anyone can learn to value critical thought, doubt, hesitation, humility, honesty and questioning their perceptions and biases. And none of us need their permission. We don’t need DJ Grothe or Richard Dawkins or Justin Fucking Vacula’s seals of approval to do any of this.
Perhaps I will never get an explanation...
...and how did I get put next to Dawkins and Grothe? Is this a sort-of-kind-of-maybe compliment?
Witches of the week unite!

In other kind-of-related news, a press release will likely be released within the next week or two concerning a leadership role that I will be taking from a major secular organization in the US (it's currently in the works - I recently sent an e-mail answering questions/providing information for the press release). Will the #ftbullies throw a fit? It would be interesting to see why they believe I am an improper candidate for the position. Maybe it's because I somehow perpetuate 'rape culture' because one of my favorite documentaries is "The Aristocrats?" They can further make themselves look like fools if they want, I suppose. In for a penny in for a pound?
That's a cool middle name you have there and grats on the new position; I can already sense a great disturbance from FTB as if hundreds of baboons cried out in terror and were silenced by their inability to do anything about it.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Guest wrote: Yeah, and thanks for the link to the full video, but I think that IM's point was that she (Ophelia) simply went along with the other outrageous accusations that were made against The Four by this post-modern gibberish talking idiot.
I understand that that was his point but I think it is better to view other people's remarks in the most charitable light rather than constntly attempting to read an opponents statements in the worst possible light.
If I wanted to to that I'd just join the FTB horde!
Sikivu Hutchinson's statement was so terrible that it would have taken up the entire panel time to refute it. Ophelia, at least, attempted some type of skeptical based refutation. RW, on the other hand went along with the whole thing and backed it up with a 'Dear Muslima' of her own.
McCreight went along with it with no objections and even seemed to back it up with her point that there are virtually no black people in biological research. That is factually true but the reasons are not due to some sort of 'white supremicist' conspiracy. It's due to the scandal of the scientific tenure system that is inherently disadvantageous to anyone who comes from a poorer background. There are plenty of black people who study biology - they just don't work in science. It doesn't pay enough to cover the 10 years of University fees it takes to become a researcher, especially when you realize that there are only enough tenured places (read "safe permanent jobs") for about one out of twenty qualified scientists and many of those that do become tenured these days have had the advantage of government supported education and research abroad (such as in China.) Medicine is the only safe "scientific" career and that doesn't have the same absense of minorities that you see in research.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I've largely felt Sikivu's opinions so outrageously offensive I can't read more than a few words of her.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dilurk wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I so dislike this movie, it's almost hate.
Hey, come on. No GitS, then no Matrix. Actually if that means no Matrix Reloaded or Matrix Revolutions then I'd be OK with it.
Do watch GitS in Japanese with subtitles if you must. The English dubbed version was bowdlerized as is typically done. You'll laugh more. I remember the Tachikoma from one of the Manga. I need to reread that Manga and rewatch the video.
First time I watched the 1st movie was in French (then in English, and finally original with subs). But it's not the dubbing that bothered me, it's more the character design (those eyes were fucking awful).

Now, don't get me wrong, I love anime as much as the next otaku (Macross, Macross Frontier, Akira, Saint Seiya...) but there is something I find really annoying/unsettling about those eyes (uncanny valley, maybe?). It distracted me from the plot.

Sorry for the derail.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:I've largely felt Sikivu's opinions so outrageously offensive I can't read more than a few words of her.
Agreed.
She seems to me to be an ignorant, biased, parochial, tiny-minded ball of pure hatred; machine-gun spitting toxic fallacious bile-bullets without any concern for reality, nor collateral damage.
One severely damaged individual.
I cannot excoriate from my thinking that she was placed there to fill the 'special needs' category of "affirmative action" that the Skepchicks favour.

Black?
Female?
Abused?
Incoherent?
Feminazi?
Loud?
Lesbian?
Ranting?
Wildly Accusative?
Uncredentialed? (A Ph.D. in Performance Studies doesn't count)
Toes the Skepchick dogma?

Ticks most of the boxes.