Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Skep tickle »

JackRayner wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

Sex is basically a marketplace, just like any other. If you aren't getting enough sex, it simply means you aren't meeting what the marketplace demands, that's all. You aren't going to get anywhere by bitching about the marketplace. Getting laid is not an entitlement.
Yeah, but how much does curly/straight hair (on one's head), hair color, breast size, or penis size have to do with changes of getting laid?
If any of these are perceived as having more value by a greater number of the people in your culture/area, then having any of these will increase your value and probably get you laid more.[/quote]
Yeah, but there's so much more to it than that. Behavior, opportunity, inclination, inhibitions, use of disinhibiting agents, etc. Big-breasted shy woman who spends her time reading in a corner of the library is less likely to get laid that day than a small-breasted extrovert who drinks at the pub and strikes up conversations with guys.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

TheMan wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
TheMan wrote: cyborg seems too cold for you...whereas 6 of 9 sounds like there is a history....

Maybe you will allow me to call you 6 of 9 from now on.... I have a specially prepared 6 of 9 outfit you can squeeze into.
Shit! That outfit would kill me.

[spoiler]http://www.posterplanet.net/startrek/im ... silver.jpg[/spoiler]
No worries...you can wear the spray-on version..... :)
I completely support this statement and will chip in for the paint.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

somedumbguy wrote:Taslima Nasreen on her FfTB soapbox today:

All men everywhere are rapists and misogynists.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... verywhere/
Men are the same everywhere!

Steubenville football team players kidnapped, raped and urinated on a 16-year-old girl. But instead of blaming the players, former students blamed the girl. They were laughing as they were talking about her. Men love rape jokes. They verbally rape the girls who are already raped.

We haven’t finished protesting against brutal gang rape in India. Indian society is deeply misogynistic. If the boys were Indian, we could have said, ‘it’s their cultural upbringing and socialization’. But the boys in the video are North American. Women, we all know, is much safer in North America than India.
But the bitter truth is, misogynists are everywhere, they are in the North, in the South, in the West and in the East. And Men, unfortunately, educated or illiterate, rich or poor, young of old, black or white, are more or less the same everywhere.
This is the kind of rant that is normally delivered by a tearful woman who has finished off a bottle of wine and/or a tub of ice cream.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

TheMan wrote:Is it really that close? so... I can start smoking again and should my lungs become so damaged before I die in a car accident I can put an order in for new ones? I have a feeling it'll be a further 15 years before the re-generation of body parts is common enough to claim on Medicare
You can start smoking these: http://www.smartsmoke.org/

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

...But the bitter truth is, misogynists are everywhere, they are in the North, in the South, in the West and in the East. And Men, unfortunately, educated or illiterate, rich or poor, young of old, black or white, are more or less the same everywhere.
Uh-oh. Someone better fill her in on the latest decree from Pharyngulite nightshadequeen:
To me, being a [man]/not being a [man] is something someone decides, conciously or not, to be or not to be. ... not defining [man & woman] is the best I can do at defining [man & woman].
(as quoted here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&p=44497#p44497)

So: which of them is the truer rad-fem?

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

EdgePenguin wrote:

Steubenville football team players kidnapped, raped and urinated on a 16-year-old girl. But instead of blaming the players, former students blamed the girl. They were laughing as they were talking about her. Men love rape jokes. They verbally rape the girls who are already raped.

We haven’t finished protesting against brutal gang rape in India. Indian society is deeply misogynistic. If the boys were Indian, we could have said, ‘it’s their cultural upbringing and socialization’. But the boys in the video are North American. Women, we all know, is much safer in North America than India.
But the bitter truth is, misogynists are everywhere, they are in the North, in the South, in the West and in the East. And Men, unfortunately, educated or illiterate, rich or poor, young of old, black or white, are more or less the same everywhere.
This is the kind of rant that is normally delivered by a tearful woman who has finished off a bottle of wine and/or a tub of ice cream.
Wow, are you serious? Where does she post that at? She talks about misogyny and then goes on being a total misandrist... Sexism disgusts me, no matter which way it goes :/ upsetting post.

decius

Post by decius »

somedumbguy wrote: Hey guess what decius, it's not 2008 any longer. The question is, how would Harriet Hall evaluate the papers and evidence now? Same thing with the quackwatch paper.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. Did you know that the first law of thermodynamics hasn't been suppressed since?

FYI, Quackwatch and SBM do keep up to date and if a paradigm shift were approaching, those upright defender of the scientific method would be the first to acknowledge it.
There are more recent articles, just a few clicks away, for you to discover.

However, removing the blinkers of cognitive bias is mandatory, on one's path away from pseudoscience.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -calories/
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... carb-diet/
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -epidemic/

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

@Skep tickle, aaaah I get it now, it was sloppy phrasing on my part, appologies. I really don't understand a lot of the feminist jargon. Thanks for personsplaining it for me.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Eucliwood wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:Taslima Nasreen on her FfTB soapbox today: ...

-> http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... verywhere/<- ...
Wow, are you serious? Where does she post that at? ...
:whistle:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

She lost a lot of credibility when she made fun of a man who was raped by 6 women, or something.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/07/18/six- ... nue-state/

She made light of it, b/c in her mind, only women can ever be victims.

Consent is consent, doesn't matter if its man/man man/woman woman/man woman/woman.

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

This is nothing short of disgusting. They would be the first to cry out against any negative gender stereotype about women, even if its implied. And yet sweeping generalizations about all men being rapists everywhere is encouraged.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Maximus wrote:@Skep tickle, aaaah I get it now, it was sloppy phrasing on my part, appologies. I really don't understand a lot of the feminist jargon. Thanks for personsplaining it for me.
My take on it was, I hope, skeptical rather than feminist... :D

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I honestly wish Heina and the other FtB/Skepchick/A+ types all the best in their quests for weight loss and better health. Really, I do - if nothing else, it's selfish best interest to do so for those who, like me, are Merkins, because the consequences of poor lifestyle choices consume taxpayer dollars and drive up the cost of healthcare for everyone. Different strategies work for different people: a moderate carb/low fat diet, combined with running and weights, works for me. I joined a local running club for support, motivation, and advice, and after less than a month, I'm running 10 to 14 miles per week, with the goal of running a half-marathon this fall. Running works extremely well for me, to get weight off and keep it off, but it's not for everyone.

Abbie has expressed her well wishes for good health and offered fitness advice to all and sundry on several occasions that I can recall. This has included even those "enemies" - notably PZ after his stent procedure - who insult and berate her repeatedly, want to ban her from conferences as "dangerous," and who would probably spit gobbets of their insane resentment on her in person, if only they had the gonads to do so. Probably none of us here at the SlymePit wishes any physical or mental ill health or harm on those FtB/Skepchick/A+ folk who paint us as dangerous misogynists. So y'all need to get a grip and give that victim mentality the boot - your health status is not going to improve until you take full responsibility for your own actions and inactions, and git 'er done.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

another lurker wrote:She lost a lot of credibility when she made fun of a man who was raped by 6 women, or something.

Consent is consent, doesn't matter if its man/man man/woman woman/man woman/woman.
Do you have a link to that? I'm not finding it on a quick search at her site.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Skep tickle wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Yeah, but how much does curly/straight hair (on one's head), hair color, breast size, or penis size have to do with changes of getting laid?
If any of these are perceived as having more value by a greater number of the people in your culture/area, then having any of these will increase your value and probably get you laid more.
Yeah, but there's so much more to it than that. Behavior, opportunity, inclination, inhibitions, use of disinhibiting agents, etc. Big-breasted shy woman who spends her time reading in a corner of the library is less likely to get laid that day than a small-breasted extrovert who drinks at the pub and strikes up conversations with guys.
[Sorry about my quote fail that you inherrited. I'll try to fix it so it stops here.]

Ah, better. Okay, on to the post:

Of course these things are relative, and the rest of a person's other traits will decide their subjective attractiveness to each individual, but I would have thought this wouldn't need to be spelled out.

I have a friend whose reaction to blonde women is literally "Ew". In the hypothetical that there are two women he finds nearly identically attractive standing side by side, and who are receptive to his advance, the brunette/red head is going to beat the blonde.

We really don't need to bust out our calculators or consider things like the butterfly effect over such a mundane statement.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

decius wrote:
somedumbguy wrote: Hey guess what decius, it's not 2008 any longer. The question is, how would Harriet Hall evaluate the papers and evidence now? Same thing with the quackwatch paper.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. Did you know that the first law of thermodynamics hasn't been suppressed since?
Find my post. It is clear that Thermodynamics is not repealed. But you fail to recognize that a heat calorie is not the same as a food calorie.

Come back with links that address my post.
FYI, Quackwatch and SBM do keep up to date and if a paradigm shift were approaching, those upright defender of the scientific method would be the first to acknowledge it.
Good! Then stop submitting the same articles from them from 2008.
There are more recent articles, just a few clicks away, for you to discover.

However, removing the blinkers of cognitive bias is mandatory, on one's path away from pseudoscience.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -calories/
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... carb-diet/
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... -epidemic/
A lot of Steven Novella's message does not conflict with Attia or Eades:
Eat a varied diet, mostly plant-based

- Limit carbohydrates with a high glycemic index (simple sugars and starches)

- Do not diet for weight loss. Rather, employ reasonable portion control and exercise regularly.

- Whatever you do for weight control, make sure it is sustainable long term. You should be happy with your diet and exercise should be fun and convenient. Anything that seems burdensome will likely not last and be of no long term utility.

- And most importantly – completely ignore diet fads, diet books, or any product that promises easy weight loss. They are scams.
And yet, this shows he is not aware of their argument for low carb, and so arguing apples and oranges. Remember: their argument is that increasing the fat will decrease hunger, but they are claiming you can eat "more than your basal calories" because a high fat high protein diet activates entirely different biochemical pathways altogether.
Apparent advantages of low-carb diets are likely related to decreased hunger, which results in decreased caloric intake – but this effect is short term (3-6 months at most) and there is no long term advantage.
Go mine some quotes that directly take on Attia and Eades.

welch

Post by welch »

Melody's husband may in fact be the worst defender in human history.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

another lurker wrote:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... verywhere/ ...
She lost a lot of credibility when she made fun of a man who was raped by 6 women, or something.

Well, wherever else she's said it in the past, it's one she tweeted about just 6 hrs ago:
http://i.imgur.com/d90ib.png

Altair

Post by Altair »

KarlVonMox wrote: This is nothing short of disgusting. They would be the first to cry out against any negative gender stereotype about women, even if its implied. And yet sweeping generalizations about all men being rapists everywhere is encouraged.
I don't know what I find more disgusting, the original post or how 2 (apparently male) posters berate and attack badgersdaughter (female) and olivercrangle (male) for having the temerity of saying there are good kind men out there and identifying Taslima's post as the stereotyping it
is.
So a teenage girl is drugged, publicly raped and humiliated, the perpetrators are being defended because of their privileged status as football players…

…and olivercrangle thinks the important thing to get upset about is the title of the post?
It isn’t about us poor poor menz, you halfwit….you’re ignoring the horrific crime to whinge about your perception of a slightly ambiguous headline.

Empathy…you’re doing it wrong…
How do these men get so deep into self-loathing? I can have empathy for the victim and acknowledge that the men who commited the crime are guilty and should be punished and that the people who made jokes and laughed at her were not behaving at their best, while also acknowledging that they are only a tiny fraction of the male population.

I imagine that Taslima wouldn't like it if someone used that "The Talk" video about penis mutilation as an example showing that all women are evil man-hating monsters.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Skep tickle wrote:
another lurker wrote:She lost a lot of credibility when she made fun of a man who was raped by 6 women, or something.

Do you have a link to that? I'm not finding it on a quick search at her site.

I am sorry, I don't.

I vaguely remember the incident, and someone was criticizing her for her double standards in regards to it.

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:I honestly wish Heina and the other FtB/Skepchick/A+ types all the best in their quests for weight loss and better health. Really, I do - if nothing else, it's selfish best interest to do so for those who, like me, are Merkins, because the consequences of poor lifestyle choices consume taxpayer dollars and drive up the cost of healthcare for everyone. Different strategies work for different people: a moderate carb/low fat diet, combined with running and weights, works for me. I joined a local running club for support, motivation, and advice, and after less than a month, I'm running 10 to 14 miles per week, with the goal of running a half-marathon this fall. Running works extremely well for me, to get weight off and keep it off, but it's not for everyone.

Abbie has expressed her well wishes for good health and offered fitness advice to all and sundry on several occasions that I can recall. This has included even those "enemies" - notably PZ after his stent procedure - who insult and berate her repeatedly, want to ban her from conferences as "dangerous," and who would probably spit gobbets of their insane resentment on her in person, if only they had the gonads to do so. Probably none of us here at the SlymePit wishes any physical or mental ill health or harm on those FtB/Skepchick/A+ folk who paint us as dangerous misogynists. So y'all need to get a grip and give that victim mentality the boot - your health status is not going to improve until you take full responsibility for your own actions and inactions, and git 'er done.
Not me. I hope they are all plagued by ticks on their nipples.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Mykeru wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:[spoiler]I'm concerned about the accusations of people engaging in criminal activity by EBW. This is a bit further than (what I've seen) against others as it's just been 'harassment, bullying and jerky-faceness'. If I was less of a jerky-face, I may have backed out of any participation in the community waiting for a knock on the door from the state police and the cyber police. And we need to welcome more people in, not only allowing them in if they are either (a) a jerky-face or (b) wholly in agreement with FtB, A+ and Skepchick on everything.

I also blogged the comments by EllenBeth that I engaged in criminal activity by receiving tweets if anyone wants to read them - as I suspect they'll be deleted. (Sorry for being a blog whore - (http://unsolicitedcomment.wordpress.com ... uaintance/))[/spoiler])

And fuck all y'all: [spoiler]learn how to nest your fucking spoilers, you fucking fucks[/spoiler].
EllenBeth Wachs is a known nutbag. If she accuses you of criminal activity, and I think she is just nasty, unbalanced and neurotic enough to do that, I would contact this guy and ask his advice:

http://www.polksheriff.org/SiteCollecti ... -w-bkg.jpg

Polk Conty Sheriff Grady Judd
http://www.polksheriff.org/
(863) 298-6200 or toll-free 1-800-226-0344

That is all.
EllenBeth accused me of being a stalker for making a video criticizing her and then, as a courtesy in case she wanted to reply, sending her a PM with a link to the video. I think it was the PM that provoked the "stalker" allegation. She was also irritated that a peon like me "demanded" her attention, important person that she is.

The woman definitely has some loose screws rattling around in her cranium.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote: Uh-oh. Someone better fill her in on the latest decree from Pharyngulite nightshadequeen:
To me, being a [man]/not being a [man] is something someone decides, conciously or not, to be or not to be. ... not defining [man & woman] is the best I can do at defining [man & woman].
(as quoted here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&p=44497#p44497)

So: which of them is the truer rad-fem?
No question, it's Taslima.

The real problem with the current mess in atheism is the mixing of sex positive feminism (in which I would include, believe it or not, almost all the FTB/Skepchick crowd) and the anti-pornography feminists like Taslima and Ophelia.
These two forms of feminism are based on different values systems and draw the line on rights in completely different places.
The anti-porn form of feminism has its own unique vocabulary, from which we get many of the phrases that have become commonplace in the skeptical movement in only the last 18 months. These include: mansplaining, privilege, rape culture and various others.

If this sounds a little far-fetched I would ask you to do one thing.
Click on the following link to a feminism 101 page made by radical feminists.
http://radicalhub.com/radfem-101/
You'll instantly recognize many of the phrases and terms that have begun to creep into online skepticism - but coming from people who call themselves sex positive feminists and who disavow the term "radfem".

I personally don't think they (the skepchicks) really believe this stuff. They just use it as a weapon of convenience because it is impossible for anyone to refute (because it is based on a conspiracy theory idea of 'the patriarchy')
I've mentioned in the past that the anti-porn feminists (they never call themselves anti-sex), like Ophelia, absolutely hate the kind of sexual joking that PZ engaged in at Skepticon3.
This incompatibility is a timebomb, ticking under their feet. I think Ophelia is smart enough to keep her mouth shut when her master is exposed as an onstage sex-pest hypocrite, just as she is when virtually all her non-USA use the sort of gendered insults she uses as exhibit 1 evidence against the rest of us. But Taslima is not so encumbent on FTB money or speaking positions.
I would put my money on Taslima being the one who sets off the inevitable explosion.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

OKAY, IM CONFUSED. People keep saying the *TITLE* is no big deal - but in what I read here, the misandry was also in the post... so what the fuck? Did she edit it, or did one of you dillwads actually edit her post and take a fake screenie? I figured it was an honest screenshot.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Skep tickle wrote:
another lurker wrote:

Well, wherever else she's said it in the past, it's one she tweeted about just 6 hrs ago:
Wow, it's 2013. I was reading through that and figured this was from last year, until I read your last line.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Skep tickle wrote:
another lurker wrote:

"Shut the fuck off"... is that regional. Whatever it's my new favorite swear :lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I take a break to watch a few episodes of Breaking Bad (that shit is good), and here I have 10 pages to read. Well, that's gonna be a looooong evening.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Maximus wrote: "Shut the fuck off"... is that regional. Whatever it's my new favorite swear :lol:
She's quite the hostility lama isn't she?

I guess that's because women are the same everywhere.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Eucliwood wrote:OKAY, IM CONFUSED. People keep saying the *TITLE* is no big deal - but in what I read here, the misandry was also in the post... so what the fuck? Did she edit it, or did one of you dillwads actually edit her post and take a fake screenie? I figured it was an honest screenshot.
There's a third option. As you said in your comment over there (quick commenter, btw, as well as PitchGuest), they're just making excuses.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Eucliwood wrote:OKAY, IM CONFUSED. People keep saying the *TITLE* is no big deal - but in what I read here, the misandry was also in the post... so what the fuck? Did she edit it, or did one of you dillwads actually edit her post and take a fake screenie? I figured it was an honest screenshot.
That is because they are lying to you and Nasreen is lying to you.

I should have taken a screenshot, but I didn't but she changed the title. You can see by the url what her original title was:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... everywhere

She has kept the post the same.

windy

Post by windy »

Mykeru wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog?
That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.
Is that the same Simon who kept asking people "what they would have done in Greg's position" at Griffiths and Zvans blogs after you got doxed? Hmm, is "do something sane" an option?

windy

Post by windy »

Mykeru wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Who the hell is Simon on Michael Nugent's blog?
That would be Simon Davis who goes by the engagingly ironic name of @SimonKnowz on Twitter.

He is, as you may imagine, a completely dishonest "agree or misogyny" kool-aid chugging little tit. His Twitter style is hit-and-run. He probably works with Hensley to false flag Twitter accounts critical of what I assume he imagines is DC's very own CFI power couple where she's a fucking idiot and he's a glorified event planner.
Is that the same Simon who kept asking people "what they would have done in Greg's position" at Griffiths and Zvans blogs after you got doxed? Hmm, is "do something sane" an option?

windy

Post by windy »

The damned patriarchy made me double post!

windy

Post by windy »

The damned patriarchy made me double post!

Altair

Post by Altair »

somedumbguy wrote: That is because they are lying to you and Nasreen is lying to you.

I should have taken a screenshot, but I didn't but she changed the title. You can see by the url what her original title was:

Badgersdaughter also acknowledges the title change, so I don't think a screenshot is going to be needed
Thank you, Taslima, I appreciate you changing the title from “Men are the same everywhere” to “Are men the same everywhere?”. I did not mean to imply that I had any objection to the content of the post, or any intent to minimize the rape and abuse.

Sorry, to “Are men more or less the same everywhere?” This is a question that can be honestly engaged with. Thanks again.
I don't think the change fixed anything, though.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

Just had the weirdest fucking dream about moving to a pioneer town in the US West and having Arnold Schwarzenegger as the mayor of that little community. What do you guys think the AtheismPlus people think of Arnold? Do you think they think of him as a double-plus good non-conformist revolutionary or a privileged potential rapist and a double-minus binary sexual oppressor?

I happen to think Arnold Schwarzenegger rocks, something this picture confirms:

http://i.imgur.com/zipjv.png

Parge

Post by Parge »

welch wrote:
BarnOwl wrote: ... Probably none of us here at the SlymePit wishes any physical or mental ill health or harm on those FtB/Skepchick/A+ folk who paint us as dangerous misogynists. ...
Not me. I hope they are all plagued by ticks on their nipples.
That's not physical or mental ill. That's just a dirty weekend.

"Pass the possum, Valerie! This one here's fixin' to pop!"

LMU

Post by LMU »

In case anyone is interested, the poster at A+, kitsy, has now been banned: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1250

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

Altair wrote:
somedumbguy wrote: That is because they are lying to you and Nasreen is lying to you.

Badgersdaughter also acknowledges the title change, so I don't think a screenshot is going to be needed
Thank you, Taslima, I appreciate you changing the title from “Men are the same everywhere” to “Are men the same everywhere?”. I did not mean to imply that I had any objection to the content of the post, or any intent to minimize the rape and abuse.

Sorry, to “Are men more or less the same everywhere?” This is a question that can be honestly engaged with. Thanks again.
I don't think the change fixed anything, though.
Yeah, I can't figure out how that title change changed anything.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

@Dick Strawkins, why do you think more skeptics aren't able to identify patriarcy as a conspiracy theory? It seems immediately obvious to me. Maybe some combination of wanting to protect women andfear of being labeled a rape enabler/oppologist misogynis?

decius

Post by decius »

somedumbguy wrote:
Find my post. It is clear that Thermodynamics is not repealed. But you fail to recognize that a heat calorie is not the same as a food calorie.
The fact that you agree with such a dumb statement doesn't make it true or scientifically accurate. Nor does quoting the Bienveniste-equivalents for faddism shift the scientific consensus by an iota.

In fact, you're not an MD. If you were one, you should publish on the peer-reviewed literature in order to persuade the medical establishment (not me).
You'r left with the reasonable thing for you to do would be to defer to the scientific consensus rather than cherry-pick charlatans. Anything short of that makes you an abject failure at skepticism 101.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JackRayner wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Yeah, but how much does curly/straight hair (on one's head), hair color, breast size, or penis size have to do with changes of getting laid?
If any of these are perceived as having more value by a greater number of the people in your culture/area, then having any of these will increase your value and probably get you laid more.
... Of course these things are relative, and the rest of a person's other traits will decide their subjective attractiveness to each individual, but I would have thought this wouldn't need to be spelled out.

I have a friend whose reaction to blonde women is literally "Ew". In the hypothetical that there are two women he finds nearly identically attractive standing side by side, and who are receptive to his advance, the brunette/red head is going to beat the blonde.

We really don't need to bust out our calculators or consider things like the butterfly effect over such a mundane statement.
Well "need" is stronger than I might use, but yes, ideally they would be spelled out if you want me to believe your claim. (Then again, maybe you don't. That's fine. I can argue about it anyway. :lol: )

The anecdote about your friend is all well & good, but it doesn't support their being a widespread preference for not-blonde women.

You're right, if people in the local culture highly value one variant of a feature over another in a sexual partner, then having that feature should, given everything else is the same, result in more opportunities for someone with that feature to get laid. But what I asked was, "how much does curly/straight hair (on one's head), hair color, breast size, or penis size have to do with changes of getting laid?"

My guess would be that breast size might have the greatest effect, given the casual observation that plenty of men seem to start drooling and thinking with the little head when abundant mammary glands come into view (and are large relative to the size of the woman overall, and ideally are perky too). I haven't found anything to suggest that necessarily translates to a higher likelihood of large-breasted women getting laid but maybe it does. I did find this article titled "Men More Likely to Pick Up Large-Breasted Hitchhikers" (large-breasted female hitchhikers, that is) http://jalopnik.com/5614937/men-more-li ... itchhikers

When OKCupid looked at this question, they may not have tried to evaluate the physical features that correlated with likelihood-to-get-laid, but here's what they did find http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/magaz ... .html?_r=0:
...built a composite of four sets of personal characteristics that might correlate with openness toward new (but not necessarily long-lasting) relationships.

Two measures he studied were explicitly concerned with sex: what percentage of singles out on a given evening listed casual sex as a “romantic priority” and what percentage was willing to sleep with someone on a first date. The other two measures were less sex-centric: what percentage described themselves as extroverted and what percentage fancied themselves as adventurous.

When he put all the numbers together, he got a curious result. Weekdays, not weekends, are better for singles on the prowl — and the mix of people out on Wednesday nights are the friskiest. (The least surprising bit of data is that someone’s chances of success increase over the course of an evening.)

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

decius wrote:
somedumbguy wrote:
The fact that you agree with such a dumb statement doesn't make it true or scientifically accurate. Nor does quoting the Bienveniste-equivalents for faddism shift the scientific consensus by an iota.

In fact, you're not an MD. If you were one, you should publish on the peer-reviewed literature in order to persuade the medical establishment (not me).
You'r left with the reasonable thing for you to do would be to defer to the scientific consensus rather than cherry-pick charlatans. Anything short of that makes you an abject failure at skepticism 101.
Yeah, there are better alternatives to deferring to the scientific consensus, and that is becoming informed.

You should consider that, because of course, much of what doctors know is wrong. And um, that's actually a measurable fact.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

First of all, Simon Davies is a slimy, disingenuous toady, and Taslima Nasreen has once again showed she's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the radical feminist agenda. However, one thing that A Hermit said on that post was particularly funny.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2635 ... whoops.jpg

And then later, in response to Eucliwood:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9826/ahermitlol.jpg

:clap:

Altair

Post by Altair »

Maximus wrote:@Dick Strawkins, why do you think more skeptics aren't able to identify patriarcy as a conspiracy theory? It seems immediately obvious to me. Maybe some combination of wanting to protect women andfear of being labeled a rape enabler/oppologist misogynis?
I think it's a combination of those two and also wanting to be perceived as a different kind of man, "the man who gets it".

They want to feel morally superior and to be considered by themselves and others (especially female others) as an enlightened, different, more evolved kind of man.

My guess is that for some, it feeds their ego, and for others, it helps them feel appreciated by some women.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

LMU wrote:In case anyone is interested, the poster at A+, kitsy, has now been banned: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1250
I took at look at the last two pages. Sickening, really. A whole bunch of arguing over nothing. Just "hey kitsy you hurt our feelings cuz, like, you asked us to look at something made by a privileged white dude. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

All these A+ers ever seem to do is argue about tone and definitions. Ugh. To make "something" out of "nothing" def requires a special and unique talent.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

windy wrote:The damned patriarchy made me double post!
LOL!

Altair

Post by Altair »

I hope my comment makes it past moderation. I almost never read Taslima's blog, is she a heavy moderator?
Altair at Taslima's blog wrote: Here

you can see the infamous episode of "The Talk" where the women in the panel AND in the audience cheered and laughed at the man who got his penis cut off by his wife.

Are all women more or less the same misandric violent mutilating creatures everywhere? Women love castration jokes. They verbally mutilate the already mutilated man.

The bitter truth is, Misandrists are everywhere

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

LMU wrote:In case anyone is interested, the poster at A+, kitsy, has now been banned: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1250
Anyone want to bet how long it takes before we can count one more in the Pit?

It's awesome that they are so banhappy, soon it will only be sad-lonely- coyote, setarrd and anti-lovely left.

leafs

Post by leafs »

Flewellyn wrote:
Kitsy, what do you want?

To participate in A+. I was turned on to this place by TAE and Godless Bitches. I have a great respect for Tracie Harris, Dillahunty, Myers, etc, and I am progressive.

I don't think my dissenting opinion on some issues should be met with banning so quickly. I have concerns I wish to address and I want to do it in a respectful way. I disagree with certain practices that occur and I have legitimate concerns that I won't be able to discuss those publicly without getting banned.

HAHA fuck! As if to prove kitsy's point.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

My latest reply to Simon:

Simon - “Now we’re getting to the bottom of this. A tweet from last September is what put her on your “radar” and four months later your are still upset. Apparently the letter writing campaign to the CEO wasn’t enough. Since you felt so strongly at the time, did you also write one?”

Me - Actually, I’m not upset at all. I don’t know Melody from Eve. I’ve never tweeted at her. I’ve probably only mentioned her two or three times in conversation over the past 5 months.

So, I will invite you to stop trying to project this back at me, Simon. It’s not going to work. You’ve done everything in your power to obfuscate and deflect during this discussion. This isn’t about me. This is about Melody, and to a lesser extent, you.

Melody used her position as Director of CFI-DC to flag a video of someone she dislikes because they said something “mean” to her. There is also very good evidence that she is responsible for flagging Twitter accounts as spam owned by people whom she doesn’t like.

Add that to her preemptively blocking people because they are “following the wrong people,” and you have someone who is wholly incapable of leading herself out of a paper bag, much less leading a secularist organization.

In case the irony has escaped you (and I suspect it has, because you are coming across as rather dim in this conversation), secularist and skeptical organizations are supposed to take pride in engaging in a free exchange of ideas.

Orchestrating a flagging campaign against an individual who said something mean to them is pretty much the antithesis of a free exchange of ideas. When said flagging campaign is orchestrated by the leader of a secularist organization the intended effect is to silence the person being flagged. QED.

Now, I’m growing rather bored with you, Simon. Either step up your game a bit and flex that mass between your ears or fall back on the same cheap rhetorical flourishes and obfuscations. It’s completely your choice, but every time you type something out, people are actually reading what you’re saying.

Knowing that, I’m starting to feel quite embarrassed for you.

In short. Grow up, man.

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2013/01/04 ... ent-173824

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Hey guise, I just found out that the water pressure regulator valve to my house has to be replaced, and an expansion tank has to be added to the water heater.

But I really want to buy a Garmin Forerunner GPS and an extra pair of New Balance running shoes too, so maybe y'all can help me out with some donations so I don't have to dip into my checking account. The running gear is really essential to the continued maintenance of my exceptional good health, so I know you'll all want to chip in.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

:mrgreen:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Altair wrote:
Maximus wrote:@Dick Strawkins, why do you think more skeptics aren't able to identify patriarcy as a conspiracy theory? It seems immediately obvious to me. Maybe some combination of wanting to protect women andfear of being labeled a rape enabler/oppologist misogynis?
I think it's a combination of those two and also wanting to be perceived as a different kind of man, "the man who gets it".

They want to feel morally superior and to be considered by themselves and others (especially female others) as an enlightened, different, more evolved kind of man.

My guess is that for some, it feeds their ego, and for others, it helps them feel appreciated by some women.
It is also a very emotional topic , perhaps it bypasses logic easily in favor of emotional responses, but that shouldn't be a problem for skeptics... I'm sure this must have been discussed here before, I'm going to go search. :think:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Scented Nectar wrote:
another lurker wrote:I need to take up yoga, I hear its good for sciatica. Which is a result of my having scoliosis. (fuck carrying heavy books on my right hip all those years, grr)
Consider a doctor instead. And by doctor, I don't mean fake ones like chiropractors or yoga swamis. And if a real doctor recommends exercise, find something that is not yoga. Don't just gullibly believe wild health claims.
although if s/he promises to get you to suck your own cock/clit might be worth pursuing...just saying

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

BarnOwl wrote:Hey guise, I just found out that the water pressure regulator valve to my house has to be replaced, and an expansion tank has to be added to the water heater.

But I really want to buy a Garmin Forerunner GPS and an extra pair of New Balance running shoes too, so maybe y'all can help me out with some donations so I don't have to dip into my checking account. The running gear is really essential to the continued maintenance of my exceptional good health, so I know you'll all want to chip in.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

:mrgreen:
u must getz pretendz cancer!
then you get special shoes dontcha know!

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

BarnOwl wrote:Hey guise, I just found out that the water pressure regulator valve to my house has to be replaced, and an expansion tank has to be added to the water heater.
It's the fucking patriarchy messing with you.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Altair wrote:I hope my comment makes it past moderation. I almost never read Taslima's blog, is she a heavy moderator?
Altair at Taslima's blog wrote: Here

you can see the infamous episode of "The Talk" where the women in the panel AND in the audience cheered and laughed at the man who got his penis cut off by his wife.

Are all women more or less the same misandric violent mutilating creatures everywhere? Women love castration jokes. They verbally mutilate the already mutilated man.

The bitter truth is, Misandrists are everywhere
Your comment is up.

And the stuff those women say, and laugh "hysterically" at, on that video clip? Absolutely HORRIBLE. Thanks for posting that.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimthepleb wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
another lurker wrote:I need to take up yoga, I hear its good for sciatica. Which is a result of my having scoliosis. (fuck carrying heavy books on my right hip all those years, grr)
Consider a doctor instead. And by doctor, I don't mean fake ones like chiropractors or yoga swamis. And if a real doctor recommends exercise, find something that is not yoga. Don't just gullibly believe wild health claims.
although if s/he promises to get you to suck your own cock/clit might be worth pursuing...just saying
I might believe it if they showed me them doing it to themselves first. And they'd also have to give me a note from their doctor saying they don't have that syndrome/condition (I forget what it's called) that causes abnormal flexibility. :P

chillyp

Post by chillyp »

decius wrote:
codelette wrote:
decius wrote:
codelette wrote:
Pftt. Atkins? My low-carb god is Brillat Savarin, bitch.
I see, no true-carb. What's your homeopathy, again?
My homeopathy are my rock-hard abs.
BTW, last I checked sweet potatoes are carbs. That was part of dinner yesterday. :)

Good on you, mate. So, if you exercise and don't wage jihad against the eeevil magic food that makes you fat, why do you want to give the impression that you promote quackery? People do still believe that crap by the shitload and shouldn't be encouraged in their delusions.

Atkins died an obese (a rich one, because he scammed generations of gullible faddists). Let everyone know.
decius wrote:
codelette wrote:
decius wrote:
codelette wrote:
Pftt. Atkins? My low-carb god is Brillat Savarin, bitch.
I see, no true-carb. What's your homeopathy, again?
My homeopathy are my rock-hard abs.
BTW, last I checked sweet potatoes are carbs. That was part of dinner yesterday. :)

Good on you, mate. So, if you exercise and don't wage jihad against the eeevil magic food that makes you fat, why do you want to give the impression that you promote quackery? People do still believe that crap by the shitload and shouldn't be encouraged in their delusions.

Atkins died an obese (a rich one, because he scammed generations of gullible faddists). Let everyone know.
Atkins was born in 1930 in Ohio.
Life Expectancy for a male born in the US in 1930 was 58.1
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html (source CDC)

He lived to be about 72.5 years old, or ~25% longer than his peers.

Cause of death was a head injury, he was walking across Manhattan and slipped on ice.

When admitted to the hospital on April 8, 2003, he weighed 195lb, according to his official hospital admittance records. Atkins was 6'0".

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Who wants to see me ranting and raving about the sexism in her recent post and the comments on it? http://ftbcomments.blogspot.com/