Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Lsuoma »

Re. my previous post: Franc and Justicar both enriched ERV with some wonderful wit and humor at times. I'd like to see both of them here posting that sort of material. Not sure it's going to happen anytime soon, though...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:sacha said:
This is for the rest of you, and then, I'm done.

Does that mean you are bored with this too? And you will be leaving? That would be a real shame. I would definitely miss your presence.
Testify, bro! I would miss sacha too...

Slither

Post by Slither »

That would be a real shame. I would definitely miss your presence.
Me too!

And the fact that PZ tried to get you thrown out of a conference is yet another recommendation!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Lsuoma - OMG CENSORSHIP. Oh dear. Well, really, I'm just covering my ass, because I swear like a motherfucker. Heeeee.

Re: Justicar. Pretty sure he doesn't run this forum, so why give a fuck. He can have an opinion, that's jolly nice, but if you don't agree or you think it's full of balls, just say, dude, that's a pile of balls, and go on to discuss other shit.

Also, you almost got thrown out? That's so AWESOME.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

rayshul wrote:Lsuoma - OMG CENSORSHIP. Oh dear. Well, really, I'm just covering my ass, because I swear like a motherfucker. Heeeee.
Re: Justicar. Pretty sure he doesn't run this forum, so why give a fuck. He can have an opinion, that's jolly nice, but if you don't agree or you think it's full of balls, just say, dude, that's a pile of balls, and go on to discuss other shit.
Exactly. I said somewhere earlier today that I don't really care about his trash talk, and his lies or ignorance about the original tagline for this board. But I did appreciate his wit more often than not.
Also, you almost got thrown out? That's so AWESOME.
Not me: I was confused at first, but I think that Slither was referring to sacha...

Slither

Post by Slither »

Err, yes, I was referring to sacha, and her amazing post:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... &t=73#p761
PZ telephoned the organizer of a skeptic's event that I am attending, and said that I wrote a post calling Becci a gender traitor, and that he feared for Rebeca's safety. How do I know? The organizer is an acquaintance of mine. He told them that he knew me and I was harmless, and Rebecca asked him to tell me not to speak to her!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

As part of their efforts to get more women into skeptic conferences... PZ attempts to ban women from skeptic conferences.

That's beautiful, it really is.

Slither

Post by Slither »

AND, PZ is now claiming that calling a woman a "gender traitor" means that one is dangerous! So much for all of his regulars who've called Abbie a "gender traitor", or worse! And what about Watson, who called Stef McGraw and Rose St. Clair "anti-woman" and similar things? Wouldn't she, too, be dangerous according to that standard?

Oh, the hypocrisy, it burns!!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Slither wrote:
That would be a real shame. I would definitely miss your presence.
Me too!

And the fact that PZ tried to get you thrown out of a conference is yet another recommendation!
Hmm..."PZ Myers tried to get me thrown out of this conference and all I got was a t-shirt" t-shirt....

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

LMU wrote:Disclaimer: I already talked about this in another thread, so I apologize in advance for the repetition and I won't bring it up again if people think I'm derailing.

A LOT has been said about gendered insults, but I don't understand why more isn't said (on FTB or here) about rape jokes on FTB. I'm referring to the "porcupine" and related insults prominent on Pharyngula. I assume they are still common, but I stopped reading months ago, so I apologize if this is not correct.

They are rape jokes, it's a whole blog that thinks raping people is funny. I think I saw someone arguing that it's not rape because the person is doing it to themselves. This is incorrect, *consent* is what makes it not rape, not the person doing it. For example it is obviously rape if a person holds a gun to someone's head and fucks them with x. It is still rape if a person holds a gun to someone's head and tells them to fuck themselves with x. (The 'x' here can be anything: penises, porcupines, fingers, knives, whatever, it's still rape.) All those "insert porcupine" comments read to me as "I rape so-and-so with a porcupine. Isn't that funny? Haha."

They might have a better explanation, but so far it's excuses from rape apologists. Why are they defending raping people in the first place? I realize they have a double standard, but is there a better explanation than "It's okay when they do it"? Seriously asking here.

Every time FTB brings up gendered slurs, or how they banned someone for such a thing, why aren't they being responded to with some flavor of; "You have a blog full of wannabe rapists and rape apologists and you're complaining about this?" "You banned someone who called you a bad name once a year ago, but you haven't banned the people who make rape jokes in every thread?" etc.?

Of course you are 100% correct. However even though I personally do not agree with the power of magical words, I have to agree with Russell Blackford

sacha

Post by sacha »

thanks, guys. I think I just need a break after this.
Plus, I do not want Abbie in the middle of anything. She was the target for far too long.

I'm going to spend hours finding quotes from the original and post them here, which should be plenty to make my case. In retrospect I could have done that and never spoken for Abbie, and that is what I should have done. I did not even need Abbie to say a word, it's all there.

Just one thing that Justicar wrote in his blog post that I'd like to address (without any links). He said "And if Sacha is going to maintain that Abbie has told her I've hurt Abbie and put Abbie's well-being at risk"

I never said that. Look for yourself. I took in all the evidence and came to that conclusion. Abbie would probably not say that even if she did come to the same conclusion. I never said that she and Justicar are not really friends, I said he exaggerated his relationship with her to further his agenda.

If anyone assumed I said that Abbie said Justicar hurt her and put her at risk, or if anyone thought I was saying that their friendship did not exist, I never meant to imply that. I'd like to make that clear.

The rest I stand by.

And again, I'll be back with more links.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I think it's a dangerous thing to say the word cunt is bad. It's one step away from the dude who was like omfg vagina is the worst word evar.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

rayshul - You came to the right place. We hate the dogma from FfTB also. Grab a beer and make yourself at home.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

From a tweet https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0vS4YK ... edit?pli=1 Describes them exactly.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Thanks for the link. Agree: it's absolutely spot on.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Sexbots

Post by Lsuoma »

dust bubble

Post by dust bubble »

Look sacha, even tho' I never got my brekky on a tray, I was in a really good mood this a.m. despite the sodding weather.
Woke to the sound of Michael Kelly no less, bumping his gums about whether the Huns should be flushed down into SFL3. Then Judy's boy managed to whack poor Jo-Wilfred in the bits at a hundred and fuckin' forty m.p.h. or something, and won the dubious privilege (oh shit ..) of a public execution by Roger on Sunday.
And you just had to go and pee all over it, din't'ya?

Srsly lol wtf RU shittin' mah and other yoof-speak ..
sacha wrote: .. I could have done that and never spoken for Abbie, and that is what I should have done. I did not even need Abbie to say a word ..
You and sweet St Justi, feckin bookends, so ye are.

Wo! Shit! It's happening to me now.
IR channeling (yeh one "el", ah ken that) the Abster.
"Why don't you all just fuck the fuck off, and let me grow my dandruff over the lab bench in peace, OK?"

sacha

Post by sacha »

dust bubble

all I said was that I did not need to mention what Abbie said, because it is in her post, she did mention other things, that I feel is too personal to post. I'm not denying that she told me the exact same thing, she did, but I do not want her in the middlde of a flame war. That is not fair to her.

Wait until you read the comments, then make your decision, okay?

If you decide I'm being disingenuous after that, I will disagree, but respect your position. I like you, and you make me laugh, that won't change. You should see my last comment to Justicar on Abbie thread to begin:

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/11/26/ ... ment-49658

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ophhelia's talking about cyberbullying again, and the importance of shunning bullys, and of course, nary a word about Laden.
But really, let’s be serious – the people I shun because they call women cunts (or giggle at others who do, like Miranda) aren’t hurt or humiliated by my shunning. They couldn’t possibly care less in that sense. They don’t care at all; their attempts to comment here are just more bullying.
So, Miranda is yet again being harrassed and belittled and demeaned by Ophelia. And the mere attempt to comment at Ophelia's Barn of Indiscretion is bullying.

Jesus crytals in a kosher fish tank.

linkage: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-214595

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

rayshul wrote:Reading, I feel like this has gone down the road of what's okay to say/what's not okay to say/you're a bastard if you dare say it. Except now y'all are in on it too.
You and Franc are anonymous. Abbie and I are not, so we have a bit more at stake here.
Moral highground is fine, but if you're banning yourselves from using certain words, it sort of... fucks up the point of having this argument in the first place. It's a game of stupid words, no one is advocating the application of cunt-kicks willynilly or pressuring people into insert porcupines. The fact FtB finds it fine to use one but not the other demonstrates they're hypocrites, sure - WHAT A SURPRISE - but why does this mean *we* need to cut back on the language?
I'm not banning myself from anything. I've simply made a choice not to use certain loaded words in some contexts because the potential response is simply not worth the risk. Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from accountability.

The YMMV in my previous indicates this is just my opinion and you might feel differently.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

ROFLOL at the Raging Bee.

Some of you folks here are, of course, familiar with the empty bin liner posing as an intellect that calls itself Raging Bee, right? RIght.

Well, here's a juicy wee morsel from teh Bee in regard to LousyJason's latest post trying to buck up support for FfTB -- by the by, Jason quotes a few outside supporters of FfTB to prove that FfTB is a good place to be, and he says:
It’s really great to know that some fantastic writers are not letting this slide, even though they’re not personally the ones being targeted.
One of the outside "great writers" who suports FfTB? Rebecca Watson. Yeah, I howled with laughter too.

Anyway, on to teh Bee:
The attacks on FTB as a place given to “flame wars,” and the “hive-mind” BS, are both nothing but a right-wing propaganda campaign aimed at discrediting FTB without even looking at the substance of what’s being said here. Lots of commenters complain about “flame wars,” but NONE of them specified which FTB posts were “flame wars” as opposed to heated arguments of substance. Why no citation? Because the complainers knew they were full of shit, and any citation would bring a reader to a post where a substantive argument was at the heart of the “flames” — an argument the complainers didn’t want us to notice.

This is classic Rovian propaganda. Take it as proof that you’re making a difference, and keep up the good work.
LOL. Right-wing propoganda campaign. Wheehaw!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Ophelia:
Some shunning of course is mean and in fact bullying, but some shunning is good and necessary.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-214595
Makes you wonder who gets to decide what type of "shunning" is OK. I think she must mean the type of shunning approved by the FC5 Baboon bullies.

And yep, still not a word on Osama Greg Laden. Not that it matters, Opheliar is well past the stage when anyone could take her remotely seriously.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:ROFLOL at the Raging Bee.

Some of you folks here are, of course, familiar with the empty bin liner posing as an intellect that calls itself Raging Bee, right? RIght.

Well, here's a juicy wee morsel from teh Bee in regard to LousyJason's latest post trying to buck up support for FfTB -- by the by, Jason quotes a few outside supporters of FfTB to prove that FfTB is a good place to be, and he says:
It’s really great to know that some fantastic writers are not letting this slide, even though they’re not personally the ones being targeted.
One of the outside "great writers" who suports FfTB? Rebecca Watson. Yeah, I howled with laughter too.

Anyway, on to teh Bee:
The attacks on FTB as a place given to “flame wars,” and the “hive-mind” BS, are both nothing but a right-wing propaganda campaign aimed at discrediting FTB without even looking at the substance of what’s being said here. Lots of commenters complain about “flame wars,” but NONE of them specified which FTB posts were “flame wars” as opposed to heated arguments of substance. Why no citation? Because the complainers knew they were full of shit, and any citation would bring a reader to a post where a substantive argument was at the heart of the “flames” — an argument the complainers didn’t want us to notice.

This is classic Rovian propaganda. Take it as proof that you’re making a difference, and keep up the good work.
LOL. Right-wing propoganda campaign. Wheehaw!
I really haven't been considered "right wing" since the 80s. At the latest, maybe right after Desert Shield/Storm. Wow. I do wonder - if most of the posts are "flame wars", then would any citation be needed?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Simon at Opheliar's:
What I also find ironic and unfortunate is that what seems to be the most virulent manifestation of this hatred toward particular individuals is by fellow atheists.

If someone has seen a religious forum out there that devotes a significant percentage of its posts to discussing FTB or Skepchicks please let me know…
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-214628
The first part has some truth in it - namely, the FC5 Baboons bullying other atheists and skeptics, issuing email threats, coming up with homophobic slurs, etc. The second part doesn't make sense - I've no idea of who Simon could be making an allusion to!!!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

dust bubble wrote: Woke to the sound of Michael Kelly no less, bumping his gums about whether the Huns should be flushed down into SFL3.
What the fuck has that fud been saying now? I live in ingerland so I don't see this stuff unless I go looking for it. I'll never understand why the media go to the likes of Kelly for his views on anything (then again perhaps I do have an idea why). He had his chance to run things and look how that turned out. Anyone else in his position would keep their head down and shut the fuck up. The hubris of the man is staggering.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

BTW, did anyone catch this gem from Opheliar:
Quite. It’s kind of like 1964 Mississippi. Waiting for basic human decency didn’t work out, so people finally had to do more than wait.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-214570
Oh yeah, that riiiiigggghhhhtttttt? Opheliar sees herself as some kind of Martin Luther King crusader. :lol: The thing is, Martin Luther King would have called out Greg Laden by now. :roll:

sacha

Post by sacha »

okay, someone just sent this to me. Apparently this is the reason I have called out Justicar on his bullshit:

seriously? If I were to write about every person who publicly stated they were not font of Franc, it would take a few lifetimes. Does he remember my complementing him for a great post on ERV at the exact same time he was having another argument with Franc?

Franc does not need me to white-knight him against Justicar.

Perhaps he can imagine a better reason.

sacha

Post by sacha »

not fond of Franc. not font

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

John Greg wrote:Ophhelia's talking about cyberbullying again, and the importance of shunning bullys, and of course, nary a word about Laden.
But really, let’s be serious – the people I shun because they call women cunts (or giggle at others who do, like Miranda) aren’t hurt or humiliated by my shunning. They couldn’t possibly care less in that sense. They don’t care at all; their attempts to comment here are just more bullying.
So, Miranda is yet again being harrassed and belittled and demeaned by Ophelia. And the mere attempt to comment at Ophelia's Barn of Indiscretion is bullying.

Jesus crytals in a kosher fish tank.
OK it is quite clear to me now. I thought Franc was torturing Ophilia, and as I do not believe in torture, I suggested he stop.

Seriously though, I have just come to the conclusion that it is actually a consensual S&M relationship (and perhaps without a safe word).

So for the above reason, while I decline to participate, if Franc continues to "kick" OB in the cunt, I am not saying another word.

Seriously.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

CommanderTuvok wrote:BTW, did anyone catch this gem from Opheliar:
Quite. It’s kind of like 1964 Mississippi. Waiting for basic human decency didn’t work out, so people finally had to do more than wait.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-214570
Oh yeah, that riiiiigggghhhhtttttt? Opheliar sees herself as some kind of Martin Luther King crusader. :lol: The thing is, Martin Luther King would have called out Greg Laden by now. :roll:
Of course - Martin Luther King would have called his opponents "house negros" and thought nothing of it. And hung out with Klansmen. :shock:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Well, I'm rather non-plussed about Franc's CK references, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit like Justicar. The way I see it, there is plenty of bad behaviour, hypocrisy and double standards on display from the Baboons, that the CK meme is rather fruitless. :|

Ophelia, in particular, has gone berserk in recent months, providing a never-ending source of Baboon shit for us to laugh at. Best to concentrate on that kind of stuff. It's funnier and more productive. ;)

Post by Guest »

EveryMan wrote:You and Franc are anonymous. Abbie and I are not, so we have a bit more at stake here.

I'm not banning myself from anything. I've simply made a choice not to use certain loaded words in some contexts because the potential response is simply not worth the risk. Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from accountability.

The YMMV in my previous indicates this is just my opinion and you might feel differently.
That's fair enough, and great - thanks for clarifying. I still don't think it's a moral highground but I can understand not wanting to have that on your public record.

I'm not anonymous. I mean I guess I'm anonymous here, technically, because I haven't put in my whole name, but I usually link to my website and my twitter - which populates my professional LinkedIn feed with the vast amount of swearing I do. I work in a professional role and use the word cunt as both a verb and a noun in my day to day work life, which includes discussions in meetings, contemplations about a particular project, thoughts about my computer, thoughts about stuff on my computer, thoughts about my work colleagues, thoughts about what's on my work colleagues computers, ways to describe the weather, and in serious talks with high-level stakeholders and professionals.

So, yeah. I'm not too bothered. If someone chooses not to work with me/hire me/whatever because I say cunt a lot on the internet, that's not someone I'm super interested in working for. Although, given that I've probably interviewed with them and used to the word cunt liberally, they probably already know that.

I can appreciate if you're in a role though where people are like, OMFG U SAID A BAD WORD, you should probably limit your cussing.

Also I just noticed I didn't log in before I posted here so I'm super anonymous. HAHAHAHAOOPS.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

CommanderTuvok wrote: Ophelia, in particular, has gone berserk in recent months, providing a never-ending source of Baboon shit for us to laugh at. Best to concentrate on that kind of stuff. It's funnier and more productive. ;)
I read this post from her on WoolyBumblebee's blog:

http://www.isgodasquirrel.blogspot.ca/2 ... atory.html

I think that's a pretty perfect example of the fucking crazy, right there. And also demonstrates how they can't see that this thing is not like the other thing.

sacha

Post by sacha »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Love it. That disclaimer is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

dustbubble

Post by dustbubble »

bhoytony wrote: fud
Ohya. Feckin .. Timeslip! Likesae it had been pickled, and hung oot ti dry. That's a gey auld yin, no? There's aal sorts of moderen werdz fur fannies noo, ye ken? If ye dinny ken, have ye got a doctor or a meenister ye could turn to?

Anyway. Since it would constitute a simply massive dérive to clamber into the cesspit of provincial proletarian pastimes, I shall merely indicate the relevant cloaca.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01kbq3x
Shouldn't start to guff the place out before next Thursday, after that, it's history.
Just like the bluenoses, now you mention it.

Basically the beardie man says Oh no dinnae dump the Bears, they're Too Big To Fail (now where have I heard that before?). Shroud-waving about how the loss of the telly money would fuck the lower reaches of the leagues. So the other boy comes back with Aha get ti fuck whit aboot the junior leagues and how come they're not getting a look-in? Anyweys,it wid be barry gettin thae academy kids through intil the first teams. So, the fly cunt says Aye well but how would yee like fiftythoosand screamin' prodisant retards up yir wee teuchter park, waving the butcher's apron every other week think aboot that wee man, huv ye's no' aal got wifes and weans? and the ither boy that wisny the first boy says Get ti fuck Kelly ya dobber in yer dreams, yees wanted ti join the EPL the both of ye's. Conference mair like ya tube. Like ti see them broo-mongers hauling their flabby drunken arses fi Ibrox and Heaven doon tae Pompey or Milwall and getting back alive, ye canny walk it in a fortnight ye ken?

Oh what's this? Davie "Ironside" Murray getting a bittie? Perish the thought, how could that be? It's a pure accident that his funds, whit are nothing to dae with RFC's nine-figure debt to the bastarding revenue alone paid for not a single breezeblock. No bad for a scrappie, eh? And his new Lubyanka got stuck out at the Gyle, right by Gogarburn. The old loonybin that Fred The Shred built his hollow volcano over, for his bentshot feckin "bank"?

Don't mind all that. Same old same old. It's the fact that they think they can bin the the old club, walk away laughing, and still claim fifty-fucking-odd league titles since eighteen-oat-cake and keep all the fucking cups that is gripping my shite.

Er, mod persons, is there a PM facility? Like, would it help if I joined up officially, and kept this pish just between me and the other porridge-wogs?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ah, font of franc works. I'm font of franc. Lots of folks are font of franc. Some folks are not font of franc. Is he Adobe, or MS?

Justicar has gone off the deep end; he's friggin' certifiable.

So, his best move right now would be to join FfTB: home, home on the range, where Ladens and Ophelias play, and seldom is heard, a dissenting word, and the lies are all Justi and gay.

Or, summat.

AndrewV69 said:
if Franc continues to "kick" OB in the cunt,
Except, Andrew, he doesn't. It is Ophelia that perpetuates the myth, the meme, the insult, not Franc.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dustbubble wrote:Er, mod persons, is there a PM facility? Like, would it help if I joined up officially, and kept this pish just between me and the other porridge-wogs?
Register, and PMing magically becomes available!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Oh, yeah, Ophelia, it's kind of like 1964 Mississippi.

Just without the lynchings, beatings, verbal and physical abuse of schoolchildren, segregation, socioeconomic oppression, and nightly acts of terrorism committed by douchebags in white robes.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

dustbubble no need for the PMs. Better to try and educate the colonials on here how to talk properly like what we do. Who are these rangers they keep referring to in that link. There is only a company called Sevco who have a stadium and a training ground, but no league, no licence and only enough cloggers to have a game of five-a-side, all else is history.

sacha

links from the original SB coming soon

Post by sacha »

I have not forgotten to find comments from the original SP and post the links here, nor have I changed my mind. I just finished with work, and I need to relax, and I will probably fall asleep, so this will have to wait. I'll try to have everything posted by the end of the weekend, I certainly hope so, because I am tired of the subject...

Darren

Post by Darren »

Lsuoma wrote:Where IS the Hoggler, BTW? And Scented Nectar, for that matter?
SN has indicated on her blog that she won't be joining in because she doesn't like forums and also freedom of speech issues.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dawkins calls young earther's baboons. :D i have to wonder if that is n intentinal reference
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 81959.html

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Darren wrote:
SN has indicated on her blog that she won't be joining in because she doesn't like forums and also freedom of speech issues.
I dislike forums as well. I ended up double posting on this forum because of not knowing where threads are.. I'm going to mostly pretend this is the only place to post for a while I think. Maybe SN could do the same thing, I'd miss her posts.

Evan

Justice sheds

Post by Evan »

Coming soon to an atheist conference near you: justice sheds!

Coincidentally, all the suspects in this video appear to be male.

[youtube]U-mwrH87Ncw[/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Dilurk wrote:I dislike forums as well. I ended up double posting on this forum because of not knowing where threads are.. I'm going to mostly pretend this is the only place to post for a while I think. Maybe SN could do the same thing, I'd miss her posts.
That's the idea of the 'Periodic Table of Swearing' forum. Essentially to continue the ERV style thread. The other forums can be used for extras, side issues, new questions, etc.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

If people want I'm more than happy to create a WordPress blog an have the Undead Thread there. Other stuff could stay here...

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

That would make Scented Nectar happy.

I personally don't care where the slime pit is. I do like having this forum section for the wiki page though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

http://slymepit.com/wp

Currently wrestling with domain names to get it to appear at http://blog.slympit.com/.

Which do people prefer? Blog or forum? (I know SN's answer...)

I kinda like the idea that the blog should host the chitchat, and the forum hold the less ephemeral stuff...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oh, and no banning or editing, and no moderating except for three or more links or the bad eight-letter word...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Perhaps you should run another poll?

I think I am comfortable either way, but I would argue that a forum is more maleable.

With a forum you can, as you are doing, run a sort of pseudo blog with the endless thread, and still have other places for other stuf, like the images, and various admin stuff, and whatnot, that would only clutter up a normal, single column blog.

I am a little mystified with Scented Nectar's apparent refusal to participate just because it's not a blog. Perhpas she's in mourning for ERV. That would make sense. It was a warm and cozy home, for the most part. And having Abbie floating about as our sort of gracious Devine Influence was rather nice.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Franc will be back soon.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Lsuoma wrote:http://slymepit.com/wp

Currently wrestling with domain names to get it to appear at http://blog.slympit.com/.

I kinda like the idea that the blog should host the chitchat, and the forum hold the less ephemeral stuff...
I sorta feel like I made it to the party late and the lights are going out.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

(Cross posted)

Wow. Now here's some real fighting against sexism not the faux sexism bullied by others.

http://jezebel.com/5922961/the-fight-ag ... -big-names

Gaming does not interest me at all, but if she is capable of doing it and she's butt hurting male egos, this is equity feminism not "I'm a poor little weak girl" feminism.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Lsuoma wrote:http://slymepit.com/wp

For just idle chat and posting snark, I think a blog is good. For a more detailed discussion, with links, images, and quotes of previous comments, I've found blog comments to be underwhelming. Even when you have nested comments it's a mess to read, especially if there are a lot of comments - trying to read new nested comments on the blogs that do it is a nightmare and I rarely go back more than once or twice to look for responses. After that, it gets too much trouble to bother with. That's my three cents (adjusted for inflation)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm trying to give people options to keep the momentum going from Abbie's threads. It may the case the the Slyme Pit isn't needed, and it may be time to let the phenomenon of the Slime Pit to die.

I can't make it happen - it's only the old people from ERV who can do that. Maybe people don't feel the need for a replacement and that now is an ideal opportunity to take some time out

SN was certainly one of the more interesting and prolific posters at ERV, so it would be great if she showed up at the Slyme Blog.

I really don't know - people have to make up their minds to participate in some way, and preferably focus mainly on a single medium (blog or forum) with the other as a backup if necessary.

Over to you all...

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Lsuoma wrote:I'm trying to give people options to keep the momentum going from Abbie's threads. It may the case the the Slyme Pit isn't needed, and it may be time to let the phenomenon of the Slime Pit to die.

I can't make it happen - it's only the old people from ERV who can do that. Maybe people don't feel the need for a replacement and that now is an ideal opportunity to take some time out

SN was certainly one of the more interesting and prolific posters at ERV, so it would be great if she showed up at the Slyme Blog.

I really don't know - people have to make up their minds to participate in some way, and preferably focus mainly on a single medium (blog or forum) with the other as a backup if necessary.

Over to you all...
You can lead a horse to water... It would be nice to see SN but as you said, but perhaps the time for the Slyme Pit has come and gone. In many ways that might be the best. You guys have been like bulldogs, finally getting people like Paula Kirby aware of what the PZ bullies are doing. I'd be concerned that it would be seen as a successful take down of an opponent to the bullies.

sacha

Post by sacha »

I think there are quite a few who want a blog.
And you should write Nectar with everything you have been considering the last few comments.

Franc will return soon.

Phil, I see you stalking. : )

the rayshul

Post by the rayshul »

I don't care what it is, but I sure like having somewhere to bitch about this stupidity.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I think it still serves an important purpose.

It gives Justicar something to throw hysterics about.

:D

seriously, though, I do think it serves a purpose. After all, FfTB and Skepchick are still doing their thing, so we should be too.