Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Fliss

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Fliss »

Magritte wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Hey Magritte, we can see you lurking. Why not explain yourself.
Well TBH I'm feeling shitty for my error of judgement. I trust Lsuoma to do what's best.

Sorry to all of you -- and especially oolon -- for my indiscretion.

I do hope oolon appreciates how those here who he doesn't show much respect for leapt to defend him. Would the same thing have happened at FtB and the tables had been turned?
Dilahunty social experiment take 2?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

BTW people, my reason for taking oolon as he appears to be, is because I once visited his site and read some of his material there. Unless he is trolling even his own blog, he does appear to me to be exactly how he portrays himself here and in other places.
http://i.imgur.com/dnpKR.jpg

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Tfoot wrote: 1) copyright infringement IS NOT THEFT OR STEALING, in the same way arson IS NOT THEFT. They are different forms of illegal activity.
I've said it many times. Copyright infringement is stealing like taking someone's photograph is kidnapping.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Magritte wrote:
Well TBH I'm feeling shitty for my error of judgement. I trust Lsuoma to do what's best.

I do hope oolon appreciates how those here who he doesn't show much respect for leapt to defend him. Would the same thing have happened at FtB and the tables had been turned?
Probably yes. I remember when the Pappa rape joke furore happened, someone dropped Pappa's docs on an FfTB forum. It was roundly condemned by the FfTB commentariat and the post was soon excised.

Magritte

Post by Magritte »

Fliss wrote:
Magritte wrote:

Dilahunty social experiment take 2?
I'm not Matt Dillahunty, I'm a very naughty boy.

(avatar inverted out of shame)

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Did anyone else read the post oolon linked?

Not only does it fail to make the point he suggests, it makes the opposite point. We have a UK feminist saying that cunt shouldnt be seen as taboo!

By the way, nice try at shifting the goalposts. I'm not saying that NOBODY in the UK thinks like that - there's bound to be some as it seems to be an idea that many radical feminists hold (as opposed to mainstream UK feminists - like the one in your link)

Can't we get a better troll?
Ha! Fucking brilliant! Dick, you didn't understand a thing I said did you? I said in a specific context cunt is insulting FFS! Reading comprehension not your strong point. I suppose you cannot tell the difference from text in "quotes" and text not in quotes so I shouldn't be surprised.

From that link.
Oolons Feminist Link wrote: Context is everything - to describe a penis as a dick is a statement of fact; to describe an entire human being as a dick is derogatory simply because it implies there is nothing more than that to them as a person. Why can't the same analysis apply to 'cunt'?
So yeah calling a man a dick is derogatory for the reasons she states, same reasons for cunt and a woman.

Is that simple enough for you to understand now? I'm happy to say this for example... Dick Strawkins is the stupidest cunt I've seen on this board. (Assuming you are male... Oops! Hence I rarely use this insult on the internet)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/dnpKR.jpg
Hahahahhahahaah, although maybe in need of a trigger warning. :D

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Gumby wrote:
Saint N. wrote: In other news, Joe addresses Lousy Canuck
Joe's making some decent points. He's also apparently smoking some decent shit.
The maniacal laughter is a dead give away for that, isn't it :D
Magritte wrote:Well TBH I'm feeling shitty for my error of judgement. I trust Lsuoma to do what's best.

This is why I oppose the call for immediate banning. Removing the personal info out of the comment does a better job of dealing with a possible lapse in judgement. If the problem persists and becomes a recurring issue, then we can talk about harsher penalties.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

oolon** wrote:
welch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Oolon STILL can't bring himself to "address" Surly Amy's doc-drop of ElevatorGATE. Mind you, all of the Baboons are brushing that under the carpet.
Of fucking course he won't. It's only bad when the others do it.

What a hypocritical cunt.
Ugh I hate to point it out but I have no idea what this one is... I have seen the Rebecca 'doc drop' and was not impressed.
Of course you aren't. You're a fucking baboon!
I thought ElevatorGate was 'franc' Ivan the Terrible Ivanoff?
That's because you are a clueless twat.

:lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Magritte wrote:I'm not Matt Dillahunty, I'm a very naughty boy.

Hello there NotDillahunty. The shame feeling will wear off soon. Other people's barks about us are a lot worse than our bites. :)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Dick, you didn't understand a thing I said did you? I said in a specific context cunt is insulting FFS!
Then would you go so far as to say then when certain of the FfTB crowd exclaim that 'cunt' is always insulting, they are wrong? As you said yourself, it requires a specific context.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Scented Nectar wrote: Other people's barks about us are a lot worse than our bites. :)
Speak for yourself. If I bite someone, trust me, they'll notice.

Magritte

Post by Magritte »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Magritte wrote:I'm not Matt Dillahunty, I'm a very naughty boy.

Hello there NotDillahunty. The shame feeling will wear off soon. Other people's barks about us are a lot worse than our bites. :)
:)

Thank you.

oolon, slimy turd

Magritte wrote:

I'm not worried about my 'd0x'... I posted my email address on here and that is apparently d0x'ing myself according to the slime rules. I was annoyed by your disingenuous way of getting it in - pretending it was to 'out' me as male where it was clearly meant as a veiled threat to shut me up. You only needed to ask as you well know. I spoke earlier about being at my in-laws and have mentioned my wife, so unless you are a total paranoid its a fair guess I've got a dick as well as being one.

Interesting I don't 'show respect' because I disagree with people on here...Spose that explains why you felt you needed to 'protect' the commenters here from my disrespectful disagreements!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Did anyone else read the post oolon linked?

Not only does it fail to make the point he suggests, it makes the opposite point. We have a UK feminist saying that cunt shouldnt be seen as taboo!

By the way, nice try at shifting the goalposts. I'm not saying that NOBODY in the UK thinks like that - there's bound to be some as it seems to be an idea that many radical feminists hold (as opposed to mainstream UK feminists - like the one in your link)

Can't we get a better troll?
Ha! Fucking brilliant! Dick, you didn't understand a thing I said did you? I said in a specific context cunt is insulting FFS! Reading comprehension not your strong point. I suppose you cannot tell the difference from text in "quotes" and text not in quotes so I shouldn't be surprised.

From that link.
Oolons Feminist Link wrote: Context is everything - to describe a penis as a dick is a statement of fact; to describe an entire human being as a dick is derogatory simply because it implies there is nothing more than that to them as a person. Why can't the same analysis apply to 'cunt'?
So yeah calling a man a dick is derogatory for the reasons she states, same reasons for cunt and a woman.

Is that simple enough for you to understand now? I'm happy to say this for example... Dick Strawkins is the stupidest cunt I've seen on this board. (Assuming you are male... Oops! Hence I rarely use this insult on the internet)
I understand perfectly what you said.
Even more than you do, by the looks of things - then again you never did have good recollection; all those misquotes and all.

Here's your exact words.
Say a female person is a c*nt in a context where that person is being disparaged then misogyny is a reasonable assumption
Your point is that insulting a woman by calling her a cunt is misogynistic.
Most people here tend to disagree (whether we use the term or not - I personally don't happen to use it)

You tried to set up a strawman by stating that we, on this board, think that NOBODY in the UK thinks the use of "cunt", as an insult against any particular woman, is misogynistic.

Having set the bar to ankle height you proceeded to trip over it three stooges style, and whack yourself in the teeth, by linking to an old article about a UK feminist talking about the word cunt - but, pointedly, failing to give it the meaning you do.

F minus.

Must try harder

Post by Guest »

Za-zen wrote:Bhoy, you celtic twat, how bout i scottish kiss the fuck hole on your face after my team rape yours.

Somebody role in the couches for all the yanks that are about to swoon.
Up the Rangers!

oolon, slimy turd

Tigzy wrote:
oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Dick, you didn't understand a thing I said did you? I said in a specific context cunt is insulting FFS!
Then would you go so far as to say then when certain of the FfTB crowd exclaim that 'cunt' is always insulting, they are wrong? As you said yourself, it requires a specific context.
Yes I would. I also think rape jokes can be funny and 'certain' of the FtBs crown don't. Is it surprising that someone who likes FtBs does not agree with everything they say?

However I would temper that with an admission that I would never use the word over there - as many are obviously offended by it. I don't want to offend people like that or I'd call Josh a f*ggot just for effect, Crommunist a n*gger etc. I'm happy to offend them by belittling their ideas - exactly the same way as I'm happy to offend Theists by laughing and ridiculing them if they say stupid things**

** Unless they are my in-laws as my wife will hit me. Although she did join in against my mother-in-law about gay-marriage, that was fun!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tell ya what Tuvok, that pic sure caught $urly Amy at a bad moment, cos it don't half remind me of this:

http://i.imgur.com/r1AHq.jpg

Spence

Post by Spence »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:I seem to remember it as we went round and round and round on the previous thread with no one giving ground.
It wasn't about "ground". It was about evidence. You claimed something was illegal when you had no knowledge of the legal process. I cited legal precedent and relevant judgements as evidence; you cited... nothing but uninformed opinion. You then flounced after bringing exactly zero evidence to the table. That's the full story of the debate.

You then resorted to insults, as I remember, which would have been fine if you had something to back it up, but you didn't.

Of course, you're welcome to "agree to disagree" after bringing zero evidence to the table, and being trounced with counter-evidence. You're entitled to ignore the pile of evidence on the table that shows you are wrong. Just like the creationists do.

But I will add "bad loser" to your resume as well. There is no other way to describe your strange ramblings above. Just because you couldn't bring anything intelligent to a debate. I thought you were going to at least stick the flounce, but you've proven here that you couldn't even do that.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Spence wrote:
Magritte wrote:
Spence wrote:Oolon is certainly most dishonest about how s/he goes about arguing.
For the record, Oolon is a "he". On FtB, he links his comments to his website: oolon.co.uk
For the record, I don't care if oolon is a "he" or a "she", they will be treated equally by me irrespective of gender. I also don't care for oolon's real name either, so cut out the doc dropping crap. As windy sez, that's FTB bullshit.
True.

If we want to know Oolon's real name we can simply ask Surly Amy to doc-drop it for us.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tigzy wrote:Rather than ban, why not just replace the personal details of a doxxing post with asterisks - but keep the essential content (such as it is) of the post there? Seems a fair compromise to me.
Agreed.

I don't agree with banning people from here, but these things need to be censored if they come up. I also figure that some people don't really understand what doxing is or what doing something similar is - revealing people's RL identities. Unless you kinda live in the space you don't understand what is at stake.

Seriously Magritte, this isn't the place to do this kind of horrible shit. People's real lives are their own.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Rystefn wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Other people's barks about us are a lot worse than our bites. :)
I KNEW someone would say something like that. :)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Magritte wrote:

Sorry, I didn't read this post before posting - ignore what I said before!!! Welcome to the pit... lol.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Interesting to hear the reports of A+ moderators having lots of conversations behind the scenes. Like their Baboon counterparts, they seem to spend most of their time scurrying around in their BACKCHANNELS.

No wonder they've got so much shit to fling!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Yes I would. I also think rape jokes can be funny and 'certain' of the FtBs crown don't. Is it surprising that someone who likes FtBs does not agree with everything they say?

However I would temper that with an admission that I would never use the word over there - as many are obviously offended by it. I don't want to offend people like that or I'd call Josh a f*ggot just for effect, Crommunist a n*gger etc. I'm happy to offend them by belittling their ideas - exactly the same way as I'm happy to offend Theists by laughing and ridiculing them if they say stupid things**

** Unless they are my in-laws as my wife will hit me. Although she did join in against my mother-in-law about gay-marriage, that was fun!
Nuff respect for that, then. :D I just hope you don't like FfTB that much, cos this statement could seriously blot your copybook.

BTW -
I'm not worried about my 'd0x'... I posted my email address on here and that is apparently d0x'ing myself according to the slime rules.
:lol: I love it when an FfTBer gets caught in the wild. Somehow, they just become even sillier.

oolon, slimy turd

Dick Strawkins wrote:Not only does it fail to make the point he suggests, it makes the opposite point. We have a UK feminist saying that cunt shouldnt be seen as taboo!
No you didn't. As I showed that post quite clearly agreed with my point. Nice attempt to distract from your total failure to understand my point with the strawman thing. I'll accept you don't think 'no one' thinks it is misogynistic, you just happen to think the right number or right people don't think it is misogynistic.

How many people in the UK thinking 'cunt' used in that context (Which you now know) is not misogynistic is needed to form a consensus? How do you propose to police this shifting and changing scope of misogyny - you could easily find yourself on the wrong side if in x years Rebecca's minions have changed public opinion.

Thinking sceptically don't you feel public opinion is a pretty crap way of deciding if a term used in a particular context is derogatory to the extent that it should not be used? If so then why is it even an issue how many people in country x,y or z think it is not misogynistic?

oolon, slimy turd

Spence wrote:
oolon, slimy turd wrote:I seem to remember it as we went round and round and round on the previous thread with no one giving ground.
It wasn't about "ground". It was about evidence. You claimed something was illegal when you had no knowledge of the legal process. I cited legal precedent and relevant judgements as evidence; you cited... nothing but uninformed opinion. You then flounced after bringing exactly zero evidence to the table. That's the full story of the debate.

You then resorted to insults, as I remember, which would have been fine if you had something to back it up, but you didn't.

Of course, you're welcome to "agree to disagree" after bringing zero evidence to the table, and being trounced with counter-evidence. You're entitled to ignore the pile of evidence on the table that shows you are wrong. Just like the creationists do.

But I will add "bad loser" to your resume as well. There is no other way to describe your strange ramblings above. Just because you couldn't bring anything intelligent to a debate. I thought you were going to at least stick the flounce, but you've proven here that you couldn't even do that.
Hehe Spence thinks that when he has 'won' an argument the loser needs to hide in a hole for all eternity and not sully his greatness with any more comments! :violin: My assessment of your ability to do anything other than repeat the same thing over and over was apparently correct.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

bhoytony wrote:Just put oolon on ignore and you'll lose about 60 pages of him asking exactly the same questions over and over again.
Is that just "oolon" or "oolon, slimy turd"? Or both? Seriously - not sure if I'm up to wading through so many pages. Think I'll just pick up from the last page or two :D

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tfoot and Hendricks, hello. :)

Actually mentioned Renee earlier re: discussion about Laden and the fact my first reaction on seeing you talking about him in public was to begin a tweet that was like: BACK OFF THEY WILL COME FOR YOU!!! ARHHGHGHGHGHGH! before realising I'd become a paranoid.

After seeing what happened to the multiple people who've been doc-dropped, stalked, or bullied in their jobs by FtB... weeeell, allow me a leeeeetle paranoia.

I do have sympathy for the crying people from A+, by the way. A+ has attracted some genuinely fragile people who are clearly quite damanged and unable to cope in normal circles. I think in that way it's probably been quite successful - so props to them for that - I'm just really uncomfortable about how it treats them after they get there.

I've been on mental health issues boards before (I'm an occasional hypochondriac in a OH FUCK I HAS THE CANCER way) and the way they run them is very different from this. I do understand that it's positive to blerrrgh all your feelings about something and keep a journal of your feelings so you can get a grasp on how your mental health is affecting your life. But A+ is not the place to do this. The sooner these people realise it and leave is probably for the best.

Social justice is fine but you can't do it when you can't help yourself. :/

And again, I still think what they should do is raise some money for the poor people in their area who are having genuine troubles getting medication, etc. Regretsy is pretty good at organising that sort of stuff so I can't see why A+ can't manage some fundraisers.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Just put oolon on ignore and you'll lose about 60 pages of him asking exactly the same questions over and over again.
Is that just "oolon" or "oolon, slimy turd"? Or both? Seriously - not sure if I'm up to wading through so many pages. Think I'll just pick up from the last page or two :D
There are also thousands and thousands of slimepit posts at the archive (link in my sig), from back when the slimepit existed in blog article format, in case you ever find yourself with a HUGE, HUGE amount of extra time. :D

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dude, please stick this in the artifacts thread too.

Vigil

Post by Vigil »

Someone here iirc mentioned that Dillahunty let slip that the name A+ was decided on the FTB backchannel. Is there a link for where this happened or a screencap?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Welcome Renee.

You do realise that you are posting on a site that apparently "hates women"â„¢.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Both might be best. oolon was his original registered name, but then he started posting as a guest, first anonymously, then after being called on that, identifying himself. He says he couldn't post from the original account, but many here - including me - don't believe that: posting as a guest makes it difficult (impossible?) to ignore him by putting him on the "foes" list.

So, he has reregistered as oolon, slimy turd, and has agreed to only post from that from now on.

Butters

Post by Butters »

bhoytony wrote:
When I first came here, I said that part of me thought that "[t]his will only end badly." And, not even a month later, it already has. The truth is, I'm crying as I write this. Maybe some of you will think that's silly or over dramatic. But online interactions are just as meaningful and important as offline interactions, and they have the same potential to bring joy... and pain.

So I'm doing the only thing that I can do. I'm picking up the pieces and retreating, away from forums and blogs and movements. Will I ever be back? I don't know. I'm not going to say "never" because none of us know what the future holds. But I think it's going to be a long time before I feel strong enough to put myself out there again, for any reason.

tekanji

On anyplace I post that has normal people, this would be the reply to such a comment:

http://i.imgur.com/nJxCj.jpg

That probably would be called harassment on atheismplus, though.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Butters wrote:
On anyplace I post that has normal people, this would be the reply to such a comment:

http://i.imgur.com/nJxCj.jpg

That probably would be called harassment on atheismplus, though.
Here? Fucking hilarious...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Not only does it fail to make the point he suggests, it makes the opposite point. We have a UK feminist saying that cunt shouldnt be seen as taboo!
No you didn't. As I showed that post quite clearly agreed with my point. Nice attempt to distract from your total failure to understand my point with the strawman thing. I'll accept you don't think 'no one' thinks it is misogynistic, you just happen to think the right number or right people don't think it is misogynistic.

How many people in the UK thinking 'cunt' used in that context (Which you now know) is not misogynistic is needed to form a consensus? How do you propose to police this shifting and changing scope of misogyny - you could easily find yourself on the wrong side if in x years Rebecca's minions have changed public opinion.

Thinking sceptically don't you feel public opinion is a pretty crap way of deciding if a term used in a particular context is derogatory to the extent that it should not be used? If so then why is it even an issue how many people in country x,y or z think it is not misogynistic?
Lets get things clear here.
The writer of the article you linked, Kate Allen, completely disagreed with you and seemed to agree with the points that people on this forum have been making (that cunt is not much different than dick as an insult)
She did, however, mention that some people see the use of "cunt" as being misogynistic - although not in the way you describe.
The way Kate Allen described it, "cunt" is viewed as misogynistic because it was historically the most taboo swear word.
Therefore womens genitals are the worst thing you could be called - therefore misogyny.

It was nothing to do with some generalized pejorative for females, which is your entire point.

That's my reading of the article http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/200 ... oo_for_who

If you want to prove me wrong then you are free to post the specific quotes.
I'd be most interested to see them. :whistle:

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Vigil wrote:Someone here iirc mentioned that Dillahunty let slip that the name A+ was decided on the FTB backchannel. Is there a link for where this happened or a screencap?
We wish. I'm hoping someone here could convince Dillahunty to puke up those screenshots though.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Via the human rights girl...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/victim-c ... 76112.html
The spread of a victim culture now means that more than seven out of ten people claim they are oppressed.

Huge chunks of the population have been racing to join the ranks of the officially disadvantaged, a report found.

Belonging to a victim group means the opportunity of financial gain and promotion at work, and the chance to denounce enemies to police or in the courts.

The ranks of those given special rights because of their victimhood have now swelled so that they outnumber their alleged oppressors.

The analysis by criminologist Dr David Green said that Government recognised victim groups now take in 73 per cent of the population.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

rayshul wrote:
Vigil wrote:Someone here iirc mentioned that Dillahunty let slip that the name A+ was decided on the FTB backchannel. Is there a link for where this happened or a screencap?
We wish. I'm hoping someone here could convince Dillahunty to puke up those screenshots though.
Think they're talking about where Chubba in a Car let it slip, which is a couple of pages back. (on mobile, cant link)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Yeah, but he knows A+ and the Baboons would accuse him of "cyberstalking", or "hyperskepticism", or some other faux made up dismissal.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rayshul wrote:Tfoot and Hendricks, hello. :)

Actually mentioned Renee earlier re: discussion about Laden and the fact my first reaction on seeing you talking about him in public was to begin a tweet that was like: BACK OFF THEY WILL COME FOR YOU!!! ARHHGHGHGHGHGH! before realising I'd become a paranoid.
That whole Laden thing just cracked me up. I didn't even tweet the asshat directly - he obviously is actively searching for mentions of his name on Twitter (as that's the *only* thing I did, mention his name). And to be honest, I don't give a flying fuck about people like Laden. I've dealt with some real nutjobs in my time on the Internet (back when it was all about the bbs) and little tiny flies like Laden do not intimidate me in the least.
rayshul wrote:After seeing what happened to the multiple people who've been doc-dropped, stalked, or bullied in their jobs by FtB... weeeell, allow me a leeeeetle paranoia.
If you have taken precautions to not have your address/info out there on the 'net, I understand the paranoia. However, if you sell a product, put your actual name out there, or (as in my case) don't give a shit about people knowing where you live as you *dare* them to step foot on your property, you don't get to bitch when doc-dropping is done. MHO.
rayshul wrote:I do have sympathy for the crying people from A+, by the way. A+ has attracted some genuinely fragile people who are clearly quite damanged and unable to cope in normal circles. I think in that way it's probably been quite successful - so props to them for that - I'm just really uncomfortable about how it treats them after they get there.
Then they need to drop the pretense of being "atheism plus this or that". I've said this from day one. Atheism+ is nothing but a little group for special snowflakes to get together and complain about how horrible people on the Internet can be. MHO - grow a thicker fucking skin.
rayshul wrote:I've been on mental health issues boards before (I'm an occasional hypochondriac in a OH FUCK I HAS THE CANCER way) and the way they run them is very different from this. I do understand that it's positive to blerrrgh all your feelings about something and keep a journal of your feelings so you can get a grasp on how your mental health is affecting your life. But A+ is not the place to do this. The sooner these people realise it and leave is probably for the best.
THIS.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Welcome Renee.

You do realise that you are posting on a site that apparently "hates women"â„¢.

Totally OK with me. I've already been called a "chill girl", a "sister punisher", as well as many other nifty titles. The opposition is convinced I'm in league with MRAs ;)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

rayshul wrote:Via the human rights girl...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/victim-c ... 76112.html
The spread of a victim culture now means that more than seven out of ten people claim they are oppressed.

Huge chunks of the population have been racing to join the ranks of the officially disadvantaged, a report found.

Belonging to a victim group means the opportunity of financial gain and promotion at work, and the chance to denounce enemies to police or in the courts.

The ranks of those given special rights because of their victimhood have now swelled so that they outnumber their alleged oppressors.

The analysis by criminologist Dr David Green said that Government recognised victim groups now take in 73 per cent of the population.
Hmmm. I'd be aware that that data comes from Civitas, a well-known right-wing think-tank, so it's hardly an unbiased source. But then, pretty much anything by Civitas gets my inner-lefty spasming (oo-er) so maybe it's just me...

Vigil

Post by Vigil »

rayshul wrote:
:/
I was just reading that recent Salon article/A+ propaganda (http://www.salon.com/2012/10/06/atheisms_growing_pains/) where the author claims that A+ is a grassroots movement. I wish I had a piece of evidence to counter this silly claim.

Spence

Post by Spence »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:Hehe Spence thinks that when he has 'won' an argument the loser needs to hide in a hole for all eternity and not sully his greatness with any more comments!
No, I think I've "won" a debate when I present clear evidence that you were wrong, and you presented no evidence at all. Simples. Same as creationists.

Oh and referring to me in the third party as if you are talking to an audience - loserish. Especially since most of your audience have you on ignore for being retarded.

You seem to have a problem with this "evidence" thing, as in never doing it.
oolon, slimy turd wrote:My assessment of your ability to do anything other than repeat the same thing over and over was apparently correct.
ROFLMAO. Yes, I focus on one topic until it is resolved. You, on the other hand, run off and change subject endlessly. What you do is known as the "gish gallop", named after a creationist. When losing, you change the subject repeatedly. When someone prevents you from doing so, you cry about it.

So, let's teach you a thing or two about evidence. You ducked both my main criticism and Strawkins on the cunt topic. You said this:
A citation for Dick and the Uk'ers who say 'no one' in the UK sees the word this way
Which "UK'ers" (plural, mind) said NO-ONE in the UK sees the word this way, on this thread? Many (including me) said most don't see it that way, but I didn't see anyone saying NO-ONE sees it this way. You also put no-one in quotes, as if you were quoting someone.

Just this one question oolon, and answer with evidence please, of which people you are talking about on this thread making the claim that you think you are countering.

Vigil

Post by Vigil »

Munkhaus wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Think they're talking about where Chubba in a Car let it slip, which is a couple of pages back. (on mobile, cant link)
Say what? Nope, I think that's not it.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
I KNEW someone would say something like that. :)
Yeah, if I hadn't been gone for so long, you probably would have been able to call who it was going to be, too.
ReneeHendricks wrote: The opposition is convinced I'm in league with MRAs ;)
What a coincidence... they are convinced I'm one of the MRAs. I guess the MRA is their boogeyman. Some things never change, I guess.

Useless Guest

Post by Useless Guest »

bhoytony wrote:
Oh. My. Fucking. God. They are fucking radio rental over there.

Radio rental = mental?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Useless Guest wrote:bhoytony wrote:

Radio rental = mental?
Correct.

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Vigil wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Say what? Nope, I think that's not it.
Ah, my mistake then. "Is there a link for where this happened " - I interpreted the "this" in your request as referring to where Dillahunty let it slip, rather than evidence of actual backchannel discussion as rayshul understood (correctly, it seems).
Or maybe my calling Dillahunty Chubba in a Car confused things further. (I don't know who he is, I've just seen a couple of videos of him talking to the footwell in his car, chins quivering with tubbily imagined authority.)

Look, it's Saturday night, I've got a cold, and I've just administered a liberal dose of medicinal shiraz; I'm under no obligation to be coherent.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Vigil wrote:
rayshul wrote:
:/
I was just reading that recent Salon article/A+ propaganda (http://www.salon.com/2012/10/06/atheisms_growing_pains/) where the author claims that A+ is a grassroots movement. I wish I had a piece of evidence to counter this silly claim.
The plussers sure need medication, so maybe some grass was involved at the root of the issue, that's about as close as it would get, though. It seemed a little too pat, with a logo and marketing already in place, to be a real grassroots effort, though.

While mowing my lawn, I remembered an old phrase I haven't heard in a while. Some people call the A+ crowd "delicate flowers", but I remember the old phrase (something like) "hothouse flowers" - plants that were too delicate to survive outside of a greenhouse, or ones that required a lot of care. Normally tropical plants if my memory is correct (could be wrong). However, I think calling the damaged people at that forum (seek professional help, seriously) flowers is misleading, unless they are that one flower that smells like rotting meat.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Rystefn said:
I've said it many times. Copyright infringement is stealing like taking someone's photograph is kidnapping.
That's good.

Rystefn also said:
... they are convinced I'm one of the MRAs. I guess the MRA is their boogeyman. Some things never change, I guess.
Wait a minute ... I thought you were the guy who rapes his girlfriends? I mean, you know, according to Saints Skepchick and the Holy Rolling FfTB.

By-the-by, hi, Rystefn. Good to see you spending a wee bit of time amongst the most evil wicked and truly nasty chthonic crowd here at the Pit.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
BTW people, my reason for taking oolon as he appears to be, is because I once visited his site and read some of his material there. Unless he is trolling even his own blog, he does appear to me to be exactly how he portrays himself here and in other places.
http://i.imgur.com/dnpKR.jpg
YOU FUCKING CUNT!! I pissed myself! Did you make that? It's absolutely epic!

Spence

Post by Spence »

Useless Guest wrote:bhoytony wrote:

Radio rental = mental?
Rhyming slang, although this one is not traditional cockney. In my neck of the woods it's usual "chicken oriental", as in "he's gone completely chicken oriental". Only in true rhyming slang, you don't use the second word, "he's gone completely chicken", the second word is supposed to be suggestive of the second word which rhymes with the one really meant...

Spence

Post by Spence »

bhoytony wrote:Not Steve Wright, it's the awesome Simon Bates. He could have kept his show going for years just reading out those posts from the Large Moron Collider (love it). And coming up next it's the Golden Hour
Simon Bates a bit before my time, although assuming my internets research is correct, it certainly seems he started the trend; others (particularly on Radio 1, it seems) continued it afterwards...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
YOU FUCKING CUNT!! I pissed myself! Did you make that? It's absolutely epic!
Shit, piss and onions, boy! I only just noticed that was PeeZed Lyers...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Is it true they have cameras in the atheism plus moderators 'safe room'?