Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Tigzy »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Oh Lord. Half-Fish again. Guessing Crom needs the blog hits. Really you've got to read it. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish because of my appalled hilarity at the lunacy of it all. I'll not spoil the surprise. Trust me, when you see what Half-Fish means by poz and, more alarmingly, conversion, you'll...well, you just gotta see it: http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... tion-lite/
All the words in that post are English, but for the love of Satan I can't make them make sense.
I think the gist of it was that sometimes, when a poz person knows they've been converted, but don't tell a potential convert that they're presently in congress with a converted person - and thus might risk, sorry, accepting that they might be converting the person without their full consent - then they are sometimes only doing it because they're a bit shy about telling that person that they are indeed converted, and that it's wrong to think of such converts as doing anything wrong and being criminalised about it.

How this might go down with the FTB feminist crowd should be interesting, considering the implications of consent when the sexual partner hasn't been given the full information necessary for informed consent...

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:Oh Lord. Half-Fish again. Guessing Crom needs the blog hits. Really you've got to read it. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish because of my appalled hilarity at the lunacy of it all. I'll not spoil the surprise. Trust me, when you see what Half-Fish means by poz and, more alarmingly, conversion, you'll...well, you just gotta see it: http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... tion-lite/
Oh, for fuck's sake. I am clearly a masochist. I know Half-Fuc...I mean Half-Fish is one of the most difficult writers I've ever come across (and by this I mean really, really hard to fucking read) and yet, I subject myself to s/h/it's dumbassery once again. I could only get as far as the "infected"/"infection" part before I bailed.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Damn it. That should have been "s/h/its" - no fucking apostrophe.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Tigzy wrote:I think the gist of it was that sometimes, when a poz person knows they've been converted, but don't tell a potential convert that they're presently in congress with a converted person - and thus might risk, sorry, accepting that they might be converting the person without their full consent - then they are sometimes only doing it because they're a bit shy about telling that person that they are indeed converted, and that it's wrong to think of such converts as doing anything wrong and being criminalised about it.

How this might go down with the FTB feminist crowd should be interesting, considering the implications of consent when the sexual partner hasn't been given the full information necessary for informed consent...
I have the sinking suspicion that s/h/it is confusing HIV/AIDS with vampirism.

Brain Box

Post by Brain Box »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
All the words in that post are English, but for the love of Satan I can't make them make sense.
A similar effect overtook my brain after reading his argument that people who purposefully do not disclose to their sex partner that they carry a potentially deadly STD (HIV/AIDS) shouldn't be held legally accountable.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
It would be interesting to get Abbies take on this post as I'm not sure about some of the 'facts' being provided by half-fishy - particularly regarding HIV infectivity. Does saliva really kill the virus?

Spence

Post by Spence »

Wow, what a weak article from PeeZus. Most of it is just strawmanning about having scientific expertise, which has already been thoroughly skewered by people here. The only other point of note I saw was this one:
PeeZus Christ wrote:But here’s that telling reveal: in response to an exposé of shoddy science within the field, the evolutionary psychologists aren’t saying, with some embarrassment, ‘Yeah, we need to clean house a bit, and we should maybe be criticizing the sloppy work ourselves a little more loudly.’ No, instead they’re saying, ‘Kick her off the stage right now.’
Ed Clint showed that Rebecca's headline study had been sharply criticised by a multi-author response. How much more loudly do they have condemn a study? In scientific terms, it doesn't get much clearer than that (since most crappy peer reviewed papers just quietly die a death of silence). What, does PeeZus want a marketing campaign?

It would help if PeeZus had actually, y'know, read the criticism by Ed Clint, rather than inventing a completely different one in his head and argued against that instead.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Angry_Drunk wrote:

Whew! I thought I had lost my ability to comprehend the English language.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Haifisch's thought process is extremely weird.

First s/h/it says, referring to people who are "living with HIV/AIDS" (bolding mine)
Previously, one might have said “infected”. But is this person a zombie or a rabid animal? I think we can all afford to be a lot more sensitive, and just use the word poz instead.
And then she starts using the word "converted" in a, as Tigzy said, alarming way

(Bolding in the original)
It is for sensitivity to all of these people and, really, most people who are poz (and not currently dying from complications of AIDS), that many prefer to speak of becoming converted
(Bolding mine)
And in fact, even for those who are so unfortunate to be dealing with a hyperbolic bloom of the virus in their system, this is usually a temporary state, often associated with the earliest phases in conversion (which can easily go unnoticed for many newly converted) ...
(Bolding mine)
I found out about it because, though he had not converted either of two known casual partners with whom he engaged in unprotected sex ...
If Haifisch is so worried about offending or marginalizing people by calling them infected because that likens them to zombies, why THE FUCK does s/h/it then use words that make them sound like fucking VAMPIRES?

To me, being infected sounds better than being converted. The latter sounds like someone who's one step away from being a body snatcher, or one of those kids from Village of the Damned.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Hey, William Lane Craig. You'll never find a better moment to ask for your own blog at FTB. Keep 'em sharp with your informed layman's science. Tell them PZ sent you.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

I think it's safe to say at this point that Half Wit has some very serious mental issues*

mordacious1

PeniZ

Post by mordacious1 »

I know I'm late to the party, but this is my favorite quote from PZ's blabber:
I know you all know that some of the most execrable crap gets published in peer-reviewed journals...
If that's true (and of course it happens occasionally), then why isn't PZ published more often? I'm sure it would help his career if he was published more often. Or is it that he doesn't have the time? He's too busy improving young minds? Or, he ran out of gas. he had a flat tire. he didn't have enough money for cab fare. His tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole his car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn't his fault, I swear to god!

I mean, since execrable crap is his specialty, he should be in every scientific journal on the planet.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I posted this at Kazez's increasingly loopy blog:
"I'm afraid I lost interest.... you simply have to love the way Watson's hair and top match the lectern."

Well, that's a relief. Here I thought you might condemn Clint with due regard for ensuring that you carefully read his entire critique, or worse yet, endorse Watson's talk because you felt she had academic or professional credibility.

It is encouraging to see you condemn Clint on a scan of his critique, and endorse Watson based on her hair and clothing choices.

Phew. Critical thinking and the skeptical approach for teh win.
Surpsingly, it made it through moderation.

link: http://kazez.blogspot.ca/2012/12/femini ... 2337752195

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Dick Strawkins wrote: It would be interesting to get Abbies take on this post as I'm not sure about some of the 'facts' being provided by half-fishy - particularly regarding HIV infectivity. Does saliva really kill the virus?
A google search suggests the enzymes in saliva do, but then the amount of saliva you have in your mouth wouldn't be enough to kill all of the virus in an average load, so to speak. Aren't the rates of transmission through oral low anyway? Don't know the reasons why.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Altair wrote: To me, being infected sounds better than being converted. The latter sounds like someone who's one step away from being a body snatcher, or one of those kids from Village of the Damned.
The problem with 'converted' is that it implies a choice - as in someone converting to a new religion. I don't think it's very sensitive to an HIV/AIDS sufferer to imply that they chose to have that condition.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Angry_Drunk wrote: I have the sinking suspicion that s/h/it is confusing HIV/AIDS with vampirism.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1694 ... tvii03.jpg

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ALTAIR!!! I just spewed my soda all over my desk!!!!!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

If Watson had given a talk which revealed some depth and breadth of understanding of the field, I'd accept the applicability of PZ’s argument that laypersons are sometimes qualified to talk about science. It's not a bad argument, it just doesn't work here.

She was doubly stumped when asked by an attendee (in both Germany and Missouri) if she could provide *any* examples of EP working well as a science. In both cases she admitted that such examples might exist, but that she'd never personally come across them. Anyone even remotely familiar with the field should start rattling off the list of cross-cultural human universals and some of the experiments done to test whether they are, in fact, more than cultural. Or maybe talk about even deeper psychological traits like the ability to rapidly acquire grammar, or maybe the inbuilt forms of sloppy thinking such as hyperbolic discounting and agency hyperdetection which also appear to be universal. Or, hell, any number of other studies that don't touch upon the sacred field of sex and gender. It's not that hard, even a layman like me could do it. Instead, she just filibustered with a whole load of empty speculation. Had she emphatically shouted out, “I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!” it would have been no more damning.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

John Greg wrote: Surpsingly, it made it through moderation.

Jean says she was making a joke. Y'know, like Becky was just making a joke when she dismissed the entire field of evo-psych in that interview. The rest of us are just dummies for not understanding that in these particular cases, intent is indeed magic.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Altair wrote: (Bolding mine)
I found out about it because, though he had not converted either of two known casual partners with whom he engaged in unprotected sex ...
Goddamit, I need to update my AVG, my laptops just been converted!

I've a good mind to convert the SOAB who did this.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's funny that they don't seem to realise there are people involved in this mess they have ZERO power on. Or even better, that there are people who have way more power over them than they seem to think.
The Patriarchy?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Skeptic_Duh wrote:Gotta love PZ in his ep-shut-up-and-sing post.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... y-starver/

I would say Ryan is more in a position to talk about economics then Watson is about EB - guess if your an "enemy of the state" - you don't get the same treatment.
Which is why the hypocrisy and bullshit has to be the focus. If Paul Ryan's BA in Economics does not make him well-qualified in the field of Eco-fucking-nomics, then Rebecca Watson's degree of the same level in Communications precludes her from being well-qualified in the field of EP or anything on the fucking planet for that matter. .... Honestly, I think people need to spend less time analyzing the logical structures of bad arguments, and actually making the promulgators of said arguments feel the proper heat over them.
“Analyzing the logical structures of bad arguments” has quite a pedigree and degree of respectibility, “reductio ad absurdum” being a case in point, for example:
There is no smallest positive rational number, because if there were, it could be divided by two to get a smaller one.
Or analogously and of some relevance to the current “poo-flinging war” in question:
Either altruism and homosexuality, in substantial measure, are not genetically determined or “the whole field of evolutionary psychology is not wrong”.
That is, one simply cannot, I think, rationally - and without hyporcrisy - agree with the premise that altruism and homosexuality are genetically determined and assert that the whole field of EP is wrong.

It is, I think, the flaws in “said arguments” that is the source of the heat that should be applied to those making them – at least to those who haven’t gone beyond the pale and across the Rubicon into a land where consistency doesn’t matter, e.g., young-earth creationists.

JAB

Post by JAB »

If PZ et al over at Authoritarian Thought Blogs think RW shouldn't be criticized for not being an expert because she's doing science journalism, then they should look up the definition for journalism. Science journalists tell us what the experts are doing and what they think of their field. They don't judge the field or papers within.

RW: Science journalism: yur doing it wrong.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:I think it's safe to say at this point that Half Wit has some very serious mental issues*

I don't overcomplicate it. I just say he's a fucking dumbass who should have been left out for the wolves and move on.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

d4m10n wrote:If Watson had given a talk which revealed some depth and breadth of understanding of the field, I'd accept the applicability of PZ’s argument that laypersons are sometimes qualified to talk about science. It's not a bad argument, it just doesn't work here...
It's just one massive strawman about whether or not unqualified people should be able to make speeches. This isn't what was originally said but that doesn't matter because no one will remember.

The sad thing is that, in drawn out blow-ups like this, the rational commentators tend to eventually forget as well and argue against the strawman.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I logged in just to reply to this.

That blog post is a mind fuck. An incoherent mind fuck. Crommunist IS trolling us and Half Fish is his weapon of choice.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

d4m10n wrote:Anyone even remotely familiar with the field should start rattling off the list of cross-cultural human universals and some of the experiments done to test whether they are, in fact, more than cultural.
Paul Ekman has done a lot of work on the universality of certain emotions.

Emotions as Universal Categories

Some interesting stuff about finding the same emotional responses mirrored between widely disparate cultures.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
Altair wrote: To me, being infected sounds better than being converted. The latter sounds like someone who's one step away from being a body snatcher, or one of those kids from Village of the Damned.
The problem with 'converted' is that it implies a choice - as in someone converting to a new religion. I don't think it's very sensitive to an HIV/AIDS sufferer to imply that they chose to have that condition.
oh it's all blather anyway. They have a condition created by something vaguely viral. It was not created by their own bodies, they are infected by it. If I have the flu, I'm infected. If I have a cold, i'm infected*. There is nothing derogatory about any of that. The only reason he's pissy about HIV/AIDS is because HIV/AIDS in and of itself has a stigma, not unlike Leprosy.

But unless the little fuckwit calls everyone with a disease "converted"..."aw, bill was converted with a cold" or however the fuck you would use such an idiotic term, then he's just being, well, himself and should go pound sand.

*i'm aware "infected" may not in fact be the correct scientific term. I use it here in the way laypeople understand it.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:

Jean says she was making a joke. Y'know, like Becky was just making a joke when she dismissed the entire field of evo-psych in that interview. The rest of us are just dummies for not understanding that in these particular cases, intent is indeed magic.
If you're expecting an appreciable difference between Kazez and Zvan, you are doomed to disappointment.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Mykeru wrote:Yeah, I prefer Paint Shop Pro if only because I've been using it since Win 3.x
No shit? So have I, although right now I am only up to Version 6.

Content Aware Phil

Post by Content Aware Phil »

Zvan's reading disability:

Zvan:
Lee, Ed Clint is not in evo psych. He’s a (I believe first-year) anthropology grad student. Also, I don’t think you’ve tried asking a graduate student to stand up in public to critique the people who will review their papers, etc. in a non-scientific forum.
Sam Rosen:
Jason and Stephanie,
Evolutionary psychology is a multidisciplinary science composed of researchers trained in psychology, anthropology, and other areas. Ed Clint is both an anthropologist and an evolutionary psychologist. (Noted evolutionary psychologist/anthropologists include Donald Symons and John Tooby.)

Ed has also said he would love to talk about EP at a conference and that he has much experience at public speaking. Greta Christina called his talk at SSA 2011 one of the “best things” at the conference.
Zvan:
Sam, I’m well aware of what evo psych is, thank you. Ed did not describe himself that way in his post, and he is not listed in any speakers lists.
From Ed's post in a section mysteriously titled "About me"
I am presently engaged in three research projects in the field of evolutionary psychology.
I have dedicated my professional and academic life to evolutionary psychology research. This may well mean that I am biased, but I shall strive for objectivity in this post (as I do all my writing). And I will cite evidence to support each of my criticisms.

mordacious1

RW

Post by mordacious1 »

When I went to university, it was the policy of the school that if you took a useless humanities degree (like communications, journalism, political science, etc), you also had to at least minor in something that would allow you to get a job. For example, my first undergraduate degree (yes, I have several, for reasons I won't go into) was in International Relations, so I minored in African Studies and International Business Administration. Unfortunately, I found out too late that it was difficult for me to get a job overseas once they found out I had previously worked for the NSA and DIA (the Peace Corps wouldn't even take me). So I got two job offers, one in Bakersfield exporting Sunkist fruits (blah, Bakersfield) and one working for another government agency.

Sorry, got off track...but my point is, that if Watson wanted to communicate the understanding of science to lay people, she should have at least minored in science to give her a basic understanding of how it works. That's not saying that she could not now put her nose to the grindstone and become very educated on science issues. Less time drinking, more time reading science publications or text books. She's too lazy to do that, so she really has very little knowledge (from what I see) of science. Googling doesn't count. Therefore, she should not be getting paid to explain complex science issues to anyone, IMHO.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

PZ Myers on this same topic, 2006:
The reason ID critics will listen to Mooney is that he’s smart and he demonstrates a willingness to present the evidence honestly. We can read his work and see that he isn’t making outrageous errors; he doesn’t give us cause to distrust him, and his work reveals the basis of his conclusions and allows us to see the chain of logic and see whether his interpretations are reasonable. That’s what I’m looking for, not just whether he’s got the right degree. It also helps that we can compare his discussion of scientific subjects with what those scientists with the degrees say, and see that he isn’t contradicting them.
Watson is not smart, there is evidence she was not presenting evidence honestly. Watson did no work, and she did make outrageous errors, giving us cause to distrust her, and there is no chain of logic to see whether her interpretations are reasonable. We can compare her discussion on EvoPsych with scientists with degrees, and see that she often contracted them.

Mooney>>>>>Watson, even according to PZs own standards.

Again, Watsons talk reminded me more of the talks I have heard by Creationists, anti-vaxers, snake-oil peddlers, rather than talks on science given by amateurs.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

WAIT WAIT! Best part:
It isn’t just wrong. It’s stupidly wrong. He makes serious errors in basic genetics of a kind that I don’t excuse in students who take my genetics classes, and he compounds the problem with an obtuse insistence that he knows the genetics better than Ken Miller, who wrote a textbook that summarizes that same material. He mangles arguments and misrepresents quotes from the scientific literature. He fails the exam—he babbles ignorantly at length on subjects that anyone with a familiarity with genetics can immediately and unambiguously identify as obfuscation.

If Chris Mooney had done something like that in his book, we wouldn’t trust him.
BUT HE TRUSTS WATSON! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

lost control wrote: Fuck, if they found out, I'm still a member on a private, invite only gamer forum, which was spawned after the company went down...
Was the company Verant?

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Say what you want about the techdouches, but at least they can take a punch in the dick.
If I were a techdouche, that'd be my sig...

welch

Post by welch »

Oh Abbie, PeeZus is above such frailties as consistency and ethics.

welch

Post by welch »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:Say what you want about the techdouches, but at least they can take a punch in the dick.
One day, I should post some links to just the more vitriolic rants I've had targeted at specific people and companies on my site.

Suffice it to say, were I to apply the similies I used for say, installing Adobe CS 3 to Watson or Zvan, they'd either stroke out, or vomit uncontrollably for a week at the mental image they created.

Such weaklings.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Content Aware Phil wrote:Zvan's reading disability:

Zvan:
Lee, Ed Clint is not in evo psych. He’s a (I believe first-year) anthropology grad student. Also, I don’t think you’ve tried asking a graduate student to stand up in public to critique the people who will review their papers, etc. in a non-scientific forum.
The fuck? Tons of grad student bloggers blog on papers written by people who will review their papers.

And hey, remember that time I got one of the godfathers of my field, at one of the major research centers in the US, in trouble for 'withholding important information from protocols' (aka fraud)?

I think we have established what Zvan doesnt know could fill a warehouse, but Im to the point where, its like, does she know *anything*?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Hang on a fucking second. Is Half Fish actually saying people with HIV shouldn't have to disclose their condition to sexual partners as long as they use a condom?
I'm really trying to understand the drivel but that's the gist I'm getting.

If so then fuck me. Just wow.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Maria has a good post on this stupidity from Kazez.

http://skepticink.com/skepticallyleft/2 ... ean-kazez/

cunt

Post by cunt »

I didn't think it was that incomprehensible of Half-fish, just a fucking disgusting opinion dressed up as "woe is me, life is unfaiirrrr".

This scumbag thinks that an HIV positive person should be able to withhold the information of their infection from potential sexual partners. That if the other person doesn't directly ask the question "do you have HIV?" to them then they're equally responsible, and besides, its possible that they might not even get HIV.

Worried more about her own poor fee-fees getting hurt than stopping and punishing people like this.

Al Stefanelli

Re: An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Mykeru wrote:An Open Letter to the False Flaggers
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/ ... plause.gif

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Half Fish is beyond mental I'd be surprised if that blog post isn't taken down. It's too fucked up even for FTB.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Content Aware Phil wrote:Zvan's reading disability:

Zvan:
The fuck? Tons of grad student bloggers blog on papers written by people who will review their papers.

And hey, remember that time I got one of the godfathers of my field, at one of the major research centers in the US, in trouble for 'withholding important information from protocols' (aka fraud)?

I think we have established what Zvan doesnt know could fill a warehouse, but Im to the point where, its like, does she know *anything*?

but if we don't point out Ed's not a "real" Ph.D, we can't properly dismiss all his criticism without seriously dealing with it!

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

welch wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
One day, I should post some links to just the more vitriolic rants I've had targeted at specific people and companies on my site.

Suffice it to say, were I to apply the similies I used for say, installing Adobe CS 3 to Watson or Zvan, they'd either stroke out, or vomit uncontrollably for a week at the mental image they created.

Such weaklings.
Lmao. Well, perhaps I could use the title, "Techdouche, Retired?" I was an MCSE, A+, N+ back in the 90's, and owned a VAR up until 2001. So, perhaps "Techdouche, D.R." (Dinosaur, Retired)...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

JAB wrote:
I don't always visit the baboon enclosure at the zoo, but when I do, I use Ad Block Plus.
Is this a bit like Ad Block, but including social justice along with skepticism and critical thinking, and countering misogyny, racism, homophobia/biphobia/transphobia, ableism and other such bigotry inside and outside of the atheist community?

Sorry I'm a bit pissed again as I usually am when it's CL nights. Had a lovely bucket of Shiraz. Come on you Bhoys in green

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Half Fish is beyond mental I'd be surprised if that blog post isn't taken down. It's too fucked up even for FTB.
Crommunist had the right idea in the first post, but now seems convinced that people should really run through a checklist of sexual diseases before sleeping with someone... Rather than it being the responsibility of the person with the infectious diseases to just inform the other person, even though it might result in them not getting laid that night.

These people are so far down the rabbit hole.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

The trouble with Svan's defenses of her allies (Laden, Watson etc) mistakes is that it appears that there is literally nothing she would not try to spin in a positive manner.
We all know that if Laden was caught on camera, skull-fucking a baby, Svan would immediately write a post claiming Greg's really a hero for trying to get a nasty speck of dust out of it's eye, and fingers, being such dirty things to use, meant he was forced to use an alternative appendage to reach the speck of dust!

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Hang on a fucking second. Is Half Fish actually saying people with HIV shouldn't have to disclose their condition to sexual partners as long as they use a condom?
I'm really trying to understand the drivel but that's the gist I'm getting.

If so then fuck me. Just wow.
Yup, that is all kinds of wrong. What is Crom thinking? I am thoroughly disgusted. This is a disservice to public health and safety. Maybe they would like everything to go back to the gay 80's, when HIV was endemic. After all, AIDS kills fags dead.

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Skeptic_Duh wrote: Compared to what he said about Paul Ryan:
The other appalling thing about Ryan is how much the media is puling about how smart he is, and calling him a brilliant policy wonk (also hammered on by Pierce). Ryan is a guy with a bachelor’s degree in economics whose entire career is defined by political gladhanding and devotion to far-right ideological nonsense. He’s not particularly well-qualified; a BA is a degree that gives you a general knowledge of the basics of a field, and it’s a good thing, but it does not turn you into an expert. Ryan’s degree in economics is worth about as much as Bobby Jindal’s degree in biology.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... y-starver/
So glad someone caught this. Monumental hypocrisy isn't foreign to PZ, and I'm not surprised at all whatsoever. This and the example ERV cites are perfect examples that demonstrate how the man has zero integrity, a fraud and an ideologue that doesn't let facts or reason get in the way of his agenda.

Credentials matter. No one organizing a respectable conference invites speakers that don't have credentials about the subject they are speaking of without a serious evaluation of what they have contributed to the field. They must at least show that there is reason for the audience to listen. Watson has nothing like this whatsoever.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:bluharmony posted about liking the site John Wilkins' site Evolving Thoughts; I hadn't heard of him, went there, and lo and behold he has joined the fray, too: Eww, I stepped in some evolutionary psychology and other crap

(He self-describes as a "historian and philosopher of science, especially biology. ... Pratchett fan. Curmudgeon. Punster. Fatso." as well as "the Holy Profit of Chocolatism". I'd not heard of him before, but this is a good start!)
I've always like Wilkins' writing, and have never observed him to be other than irredeemably kind, polite, and thoughtful in the context of cyber-interactions. I like that he can poke fun at himself about his weight and love for chocolate - something that the FtBers seem incapable of attempting. Sometimes I think he's too nice for the internetz, and I've thought the same about a couple of other science bloggers. He might be too accommodationist and gentle for fiercer tastes. He was once a SciBlogs writer IIRC, and left after one of the endless squabble cycles (The Poo-flinging War of Ought-Nine or such). Abbie might remember the details.
John is a friend of mine (although I haven't seen him since he moved away from Brisbane). He's a philosopher of science, and wrote a really interesting book on the species concept. Steersman and AndrewV69 would probably be in aspie heaven discussing with him the finer points of the philosophy behind the discussions about the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

He was one of the initiators of and contributors to TalkOrigens.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

He was the one that said Thunderf00t's writing sucked. It did, but no worse that this half a shark.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Half Fish is beyond mental I'd be surprised if that blog post isn't taken down. It's too fucked up even for FTB.
Crommunist had the right idea in the first post, but now seems convinced that people should really run through a checklist of sexual diseases before sleeping with someone... Rather than it being the responsibility of the person with the infectious diseases to just inform the other person, even though it might result in them not getting laid that night.

These people are so far down the rabbit hole.
It's actually stunned me. I have sent it off to everybody in my e-mail contact list. I'm also banging my head against the wall at the viewpoint that it's dehumanising to charge people, who knowingly and non-consensually infect a partner with HIV, with sexual assault.........IT IS SEXUAL ASSAULT! It's hurting somebody via sex. It's also attempted murder. FFS.
I'm seriously considering the possibility of Half Fish being an elaborate troll.

I can't screencap on this computer but I would if I could as I reckon that blog post is going to heavily edited some time soon to make it sound more savoury.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Crom's replied to him/her, and even he seems a bit iffy about the post. I look forward to seeing Skeptifem, Jadehawk, Sally Syringe et al get wind of this post, which appears to be saying, in effect, that it's okay to withold information about carrying a potentially deadly disease in order to get sex, in case the prospective partner might say 'no' and hurt the 'converted's fee-fees.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

welch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

If you're expecting an appreciable difference between Kazez and Zvan, you are doomed to disappointment.
I have to say I liked her stuff before and thought she was better than this.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Crommunist says:
What about in the case where there is no reasonable risk of transmission? Below some CD4 count, your risk of transmission is near-zero, so we’re asking people to subject themselves to the risk of potentially disastrous discrimination based on a near-zero probability of harm. The risk/benefit calculation seems off there.
You are a psychopath Crom. A complete, dyed-in-the-wool fucking psychopath.

A person runs the risk of "disastrous discrimination" for disclosing to a sexual partner that the have HIV? OH NO! PLEASE NO! NOT POTENTIAL DISCRIMINTION! That's worse than knowingly infecting people with a fatal virus fo sho.

And what about the fucking health and LIFE of the unsuspecting twatting partner you sick, ignorant fuck? Doesn't that matter as long as someone isn't being discriminated against?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Oh come on which would you rather be subjected to, discrimination or death? I think we all know death is the obvious choice.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote: Crom's replied to him/her, and even he seems a bit iffy about the post.
That stance doesn't seem to have lasted too long..... Now it seems Crom hates discrimination so much it's fine to fuck somebody whilst infected with HIV so you can avoid disastrous discrimination.

Crom! Your planet needs you!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bhoytony wrote:Oh come on which would you rather be subjected to, discrimination or death? I think we all know death is the obvious choice.

Death is just a discrimination against the living anyway.