Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
bhoytony

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by bhoytony »

YOUNG MOTHERS. Pretend to be unbelievably dull and unimaginative by meeting other young mothers in public places and only ever talking about your children.

OK thats enough from me before I become the first tenant of the Slymepit Dungeon.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Magically Harsh Ophelia Benson's mellow by spearing a prune repeatedly with a cocktail stick.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Chefs: be sure of keeping your seafood sauce pure by never letting PZ Myers into your kitchen while you're dishing up the calamari platter.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

justinvacula wrote:
ERV wrote:Isnt 'Will' the same 'Will' who posts at Skepchick?

Also: Projectile vomit--
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2 ... -feminists
Here's my response to Amanda Marcotte's "Atheism is Consistent with Feminism and Pro-Choice Positions."

http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/08/ath ... inism.html

What a mess her post was.
Did someone on here do this comment ?
And the "atheist and feminist" bloggers spake all of these words, saying,
We are the Lord thy God who has brought thee out of the land of religious dogma, out of the land of misogynist bondage.

1. Thou shalt have no other bloggers before us. Thou shalt not wear any graven T-shirts or any likeness of Surlyramics.

Nice job!

Git

Post by Git »

pace car n. When paying a sit down visit, the slow, unaerodynamic leading turd that once out of the way, allows the fast, souped-up botrods behind it to put their foot down into the first bend.

:D

Someone should send copies of Roger's Profanisaurus to Myers and Ofeelya for shits and giggles. Fucking puritans.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote: Did someone on here do this comment ?
And the "atheist and feminist" bloggers spake all of these words, saying,
We are the Lord thy God who has brought thee out of the land of religious dogma, out of the land of misogynist bondage.

1. Thou shalt have no other bloggers before us. Thou shalt not wear any graven T-shirts or any likeness of Surlyramics.

Nice job!
Whoever it was, they deserve a thousand internets. :lol:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Sorry to break up the Viz-inspired malarkey, but I had a chuckle at a moment in the latest SGU podcast (I listen so you don't have to).

Steve Novella was talking about a letter he received from a practictioner of iridology, and was running through the list of logical fallacies contained in said letter. Anyway, because the letter writer was named "Gale", Steve kept referring to the writer as "she". After about 5 minutes of discussing this letter and the logical fallacies involves, Becky suddenly pipes up, stressing that it might not be a women. Steve quickly realises his terrible faux pas and agrees that it could just as likely be a bloke. For a brief moment you can almost hear Queen Bee whisper "I hate you will all my vagina" under her breath. The professional Novella managed to move quickly on, and I think he escaped the wrath of Watson.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Angry_Drunk, bhoytony, CommanderTuvok, Dilurk, ERV, Git, spectator, StueNever, Tigzy and 14 guests
Bit crowded...did we do something bad?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Git wrote:pace car n. When paying a sit down visit, the slow, unaerodynamic leading turd that once out of the way, allows the fast, souped-up botrods behind it to put their foot down into the first bend.

Someone should send copies of Roger's Profanisaurus to Myers and Ofeelya for shits and giggles. Fucking puritans.
Lurking Greg n. The little shit that always pops back up just after you think you've flushed it away. Syn: Peeping Mandelson.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Sorry to break up the Viz-inspired malarkey, but I had a chuckle at a moment in the latest SGU podcast (I listen so you don't have to).

Steve Novella was talking about a letter he received from a practictioner of iridology, and was running through the list of logical fallacies contained in said letter. Anyway, because the letter writer was named "Gale", Steve kept referring to the writer as "she". After about 5 minutes of discussing this letter and the logical fallacies involves, Becky suddenly pipes up, stressing that it might not be a women. Steve quickly realises his terrible faux pas and agrees that it could just as likely be a bloke. For a brief moment you can almost hear Queen Bee whisper "I hate you will all my vagina" under her breath. The professional Novella managed to move quickly on, and I think he escaped the wrath of Watson.
I liked the part where RW described herself as a Writer. Yes, she's a writer in the same way that Scurvy Amy is an Artist because she makes blobs of clay.

Git

Post by Git »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Sorry to break up the Viz-inspired malarkey, but I had a chuckle at a moment in the latest SGU podcast (I listen so you don't have to).
I've stopped listening to SGU, mainly because once you realise that the Empress isn't wearing any clothes, she's pretty much unlistenable. The fucking sad thing is that there are countless snarky, funny and clever women out there who actually know their shit, but who do they end up with? A two-bit-circus-act-publicity-groupie who couldn't reason her way out of a wet paper bag. They could replace her with a tub of lard and it would be an improvement:

[youtube]Kmys4LH9jTE[/youtube]

Post by Guest »

Git wrote:pace car n. When paying a sit down visit, the slow, unaerodynamic leading turd that once out of the way, allows the fast, souped-up botrods behind it to put their foot down into the first bend.

How immature... *tosses book into the bin*, *writes another 3,000 blogs-posts on how he's smarter than creationists*

Post by Guest »

Haw haw! I listened to that today and noticed that too. What an obnoxious brat she is.

Git

Post by Git »

Guest wrote:

How immature... *tosses book into the bin*, *writes another 3,000 blogs-posts on how he's smarter than creationists*
I think they have more than just pace cars stuck up their arses, tbh. A whole fucking car factory more like it.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Guest wrote:Haw haw! I listened to that today and noticed that too. What an obnoxious brat she is.
What a bunch of limp dicks they are for putting up with her.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Haw haw! I listened to that today and noticed that too. What an obnoxious brat she is.
Another embarrassing moment in the SGU show came when the quote for that show turned out to be a quote from Malcolm Muggeridge. Muggeridge's whole point was that New Age beliefs, humanism, etc., are somehow more goofy than traditional religious beliefs. They really ought to be a bit more careful in their research vetting these things.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote: Haw haw! I listened to that today and noticed that too. What an obnoxious brat she is.
Another embarrassing moment in the SGU show came when the quote for that show turned out to be a quote from Malcolm Muggeridge. Muggeridge's whole point was that New Age beliefs, humanism, etc., are somehow more goofy than traditional religious beliefs. They really ought to be a bit more careful in their research vetting these things.
Yes he was a huge fan of Mother Theresa and wrote books on Christianity. You'd think they'd do a bit of research.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

real horrorshow wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/08/ath ... inism.html

What a mess her post was.
Still reading but:
It's also important to note, as I previously alluded to, that ^ all those who happen to lack a belief in any gods are very rational people.
^not
I think.
Got it. Thanks.

Dilurk

Internet Free Speech

Post by Dilurk »

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I confess an enduring fondness for Tony Husband's Yobs cartoons in Private Eye. So wrong, yet so funny. :lol:

Commenter davem makes some good points on Myers' superficial Deepwater Horizon post:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-430655
davem 13 August 2012 at 11:27 am

Well, PZ, I see that you often post about your travels around the US, and the outside World, in aeroplanes that use the products of Deepwater Horizon and its ilk. If you really want to stop another Deepwater Horizon, you need to stop travelling by plane NOW, and to start using a car based on renewable energy NOW. …Or look at the pictures, and admit ‘I did this’.
As far as I can see, the planet is fucked, because noone has the political will to stop the madness. You and I will be OK (just). Our grandchildren don’t have a hope in hell.
Idiotic sycophant Ing responds:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-430833
Ing: The World is Dying 13 August 2012 at 1:11 pm
@Davem
Please just take some petrol and ignite yourself, then you can be a flaming idiot
Shorter Ing: PZ's shit don't stink.

:roll:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote:
Shorter Ing: PZ's shit don't stink.

:roll:
Now come on - we all know very well that it's a complete tu quoque fallacy to rubbish Myers for leaving a big carbon footprint jetting around to conferences so he can tell everyone how important it is for atheists to be more than just atheists, and combat all the bigotry and wrongthought they can find, including those man-made climate-change deniers.

He's got to get the message out, you know? :lol:

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

LMU

Post by LMU »

"Ing: The World is Dying 13 August 2012 at 1:11 pm
@Davem
Please just take some petrol and ignite yourself, then you can be a flaming idiot"

Hmm, so it's only wrong to tell someone to set themselves on fire if it's Surly Amy.

Dilurk

atheistrev

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skeeve wrote:Portrait of a FTBully:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/Ing_comment.jpg
I'm curious - do people in the US heat their homes with gasoline/petrol? Or does Ing come from planet dumdum?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@ Tigzy -

Less than 10% of US homes use oil furnaces for heating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... me-heating

It varies regionally within the US too - I went to grad school in the Pacific Northwest, and lots of homes used wood stoves for heating much of the time.

It doesn't get very cold in the winter where I live now, and I rarely use my heating system, which is electric. Our power grid has increasing contributions from wind farms and solar each year, so electric is not the absolute worst. Air conditioning is a much bigger deal (and footprint) here in the Southwest, so earlier this year I had spray-in insulation added under the entire roof of my house, which decreased my electricity consumption by about 30%. I expect to save another 10% by adding solar screens and a porch on the west side of the house.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Im guessing that would be waste oil heaters/ oil burning heaters. Using petroleum products that is.

I still see the old oil tanks bolted to the sides of peoples houses in australia but theyre no longer in use.

Notung

Re:

Post by Notung »

sacha wrote:That's not a Brit. Look at the language. She spells Sceptic "Skeptic" - I can't be arsed to read the entire thing - It's a Merkin living in the UK.
I don't know... it's a he, and he spells 'colour' the proper way... :p

I spell it 'skeptic' when I talk about Randi and Shermer and that lot. I reserve 'sceptic' for Pyrrho etc, i.e. philosophical scepticism. Lots of UK skeptics spell it 'skeptic' - 'CoffeeLovingSkeptic', 'SkepticCanary', etc.

By the way, 'Zeke'* is me on that post (not my real name, if you were wondering). I just thought I'd try to avoid the whole "ban the slymer!" thing.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Everywhere I've ever lived used electricity or natural gas.

also, I love fenne:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/fenne_comment.jpg

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

freethoughtblogs
semms to be 'down'!

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

BarnOwl wrote:@ Tigzy -

Less than 10% of US homes use oil furnaces for heating:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... me-heating

It varies regionally within the US too - I went to grad school in the Pacific Northwest, and lots of homes used wood stoves for heating much of the time.

It doesn't get very cold in the winter where I live now, and I rarely use my heating system, which is electric. Our power grid has increasing contributions from wind farms and solar each year, so electric is not the absolute worst. Air conditioning is a much bigger deal (and footprint) here in the Southwest, so earlier this year I had spray-in insulation added under the entire roof of my house, which decreased my electricity consumption by about 30%. I expect to save another 10% by adding solar screens and a porch on the west side of the house.
I quite like electric over end-user chemical energy heating (oil, gas heaters). Electric heaters convert the energy to useable heat much better than a burning heater where much of the heat is released into the external atmosphere as part of the exhaust.

The best case scenario with the idea of fossil fuel taxes is that large scale enterprises invest money in cleaner sources of energy, because the cheaper and dirtier fossil fuels become a less profitable venture.

Hopefully the average insular FFTB american can think about this more, as long as the US government is going on oil looting rampages in the middle east, this issue affects the entire planet.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Michael K Gray wrote:freethoughtblogs
semms to be 'down'!
Yup. Not working for me, either.

Splendid!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:
semms to be 'down'!

Splendid!
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ ... tblogs.com

Maybe Brayton is reconfiguring Mailman.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

freethoughtblogs.com is responding to pings.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
semms to be 'down'!

Splendid!

"Hack"proofing it. :lol:

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Jason Thibeault ‏@lousycanuck

Looks like FtB network's down... webmaster says expected to be back up within the hour.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skeeve wrote:
Jason Thibeault ‏@lousycanuck

Looks like FtB network's down... webmaster says expected to be back up within the hour.
Thunderf00t must be at his computer.... :D

Just read the Marcotte post and Justin's. Well, tried to read hers. I kept having to scratch my head and ask "WTF?" a lot. I haven't paid any attention to her since she went a bit nutso a few years back, and I see no reason to change that with this post. I am curious as to how her feminism led to atheism (unless she just means she started questioning religion, I can see that), but don't want to try to wade through her posts to find out, if she even says. As some would say "What an interesting person." ;)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dilurk wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
semms to be 'down'!

Splendid!

Brayton's doing the mailman? :lol:

franc

Corrupting liberalism

Post by franc »

Guest wrote:
franc wrote:No, sorry. They are not liberal by any stretch of reality and they have absolutely no clue as to what it is - at all.
I agree with this except for I think some have probably taken a glance at what liberalism is. At some point in the process it does become a parody, and i'm interested in how and when.

Take an unpopular, potentially offensive and divisive opinion like "trans women are not real women". In the skeptical arena its just not possible to shut that down through traditional means like calling it offensive. Its also a largely subjective opinion with a huge grey area up for debate.

To shut it down, they'll have to take that statement through a series of hoops. First the opinion is dehumanising trans people - which in turn causes society wide hatred of trans people - which in turn causes violence against trans people. So well done, just by having had an opinion you've contributed to beating up another innocent person.

This is how they get it to violate "do unto others" without coming off as thought police. They have to turn a thought or opinion into an indirect action.
Yes, well let's get empirical - the keyword is "liberty", and from that come others such as "pluralism" and "equality". Mutually respecting individuals is about the size of it. When it becomes an insect hive collective that launches gang attacks, it ceases to be liberalism. That is your "how and when". Here's actually a nice quote from the cesspit -
Marx rejected the foundational aspects of liberal theory, hoping to destroy both the state and the liberal distinction between society and the individual while fusing the two into a collective whole designed to overthrow the developing capitalist order of the 19th century.
Sounds like FfTB et al. to me.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

ReGreta Christina via Twatter:
FTB network temporarily down. Expected to be back up within the hour. Keep calm and carry on.
Strange. The Pit Crew haven't been blamed as yet.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

CommanderTuvok wrote:ReGreta Christina via Twatter:
FTB network temporarily down. Expected to be back up within the hour. Keep calm and carry on.
Strange. The Pit Crew haven't been blamed as yet.
I hear Abbie constructed a human from the DNA of JCW, Justicar and the Balrog to make a creature capable of writing a post long enough to DDOS the whole internet.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

@ DownThunder-

I'm encouraged by the annual addition of renewable energy sources to the grid here. It's also now illegal for homeowners associations to prohibit people from adding solar panels and using outdoor clotheslines. A plug-in hybrid car would make a lot of sense for someone like me, but they're damned expensive at the moment, so I'm going to hang on to my 12-year-old Honda (which is reliable and fuel-efficient) for a few more years. Hopefully by then there will be more plug-in hybrids available, and the prices will come down a bit.

But yeah, gasoline is way too inexpensive in the US ... enables the boom car wankers and the drivers of behemoth SUVs.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, the only the way to tax something like airline travel is by putting a tax on crude oil. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Regarding the SGU podcast: one of the Novella guys says it is his 44th birthday. Becky Whatnot leaps in and crows something about this being doubly bad, because "4" is a bad number in "Asian culture". Somebody/bodies agree(s).

Firstly, in a "skeptics" discussion, this kind of bullshit should not be regurgitated without explicit mockery (of which there was none). To give exposure to such ideas, without ridiculing them, is to perpetuate superstition. Does concern for politically correct inclusiveness bar "skeptics" from dissing people other than white USA males?

Secondly, it's fucking hilarious, and fucking pathetic, that Becky Whatnot - and at least one other person in this podcast - thinks that "Asian culture" stops at the Chinese border, with perhaps a little bit of leakiness into Vietnam and Korea (because they all do awesome takeout in the USA, right? It's those guys on bikes with the pancakes and shit, right? I'm so fucking inclusive, right?).

What a bunch of insular cunts.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Just what is "Asian Culture" ?

franc

Post by franc »

DownThunder wrote:Just what is "Asian Culture" ?
http://www.riceboypage.com/

sacha

Re: Re:

Post by sacha »

Notung wrote:
sacha wrote:That's not a Brit. Look at the language. She spells Sceptic "Skeptic" - I can't be arsed to read the entire thing - It's a Merkin living in the UK.
I don't know... it's a he, and he spells 'colour' the proper way... :p

I spell it 'skeptic' when I talk about Randi and Shermer and that lot. I reserve 'sceptic' for Pyrrho etc, i.e. philosophical scepticism. Lots of UK skeptics spell it 'skeptic' - 'CoffeeLovingSkeptic', 'SkepticCanary', etc.

By the way, 'Zeke'* is me on that post (not my real name, if you were wondering). I just thought I'd try to avoid the whole "ban the slymer!" thing.
bah! You are correct. http://en.gravatar.com/sceptre91

I honestly skimmed it and though it was a Merkin woman. I've decided he can not call himself a British man.

(Barn Owl, I consider you a non-Merkin - please let me know if that annoys you)

AndrewV69

And now for something completely different

Post by AndrewV69 »

And now for something completely different:

I do not know what I was expecting but this is the response I got:

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f42/ ... post645982
How on earth did I end up in a situation where a self proclaimed atheist admonishes me from The Bible And The Qur'an.

Nice try mate.
When I said this to him:
http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f42/ ... post645980
Quote Originally Posted by abumuwahid
It is meant to offend but that is not the point here.
Peace,

Very well, let me say this then and afterward I shall be silent. The golden Rule is this:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
And last, but not least of all:
“...and you should forgive And overlook: Do you not like God to forgive you? And Allah is The Merciful Forgiving.” — Qur’an (Surah 24, "The Light," v. 22)

The Doubtful Guest

That old cunt Pakenham

Post by The Doubtful Guest »

bhoytony (and guest) wrote:Yes he was a huge fan of Mother Theresa and wrote books on Christianity. You'd think they'd do a bit of research.
Fuck me .. Longford?! Timeslip!

"In 1986, he reportedly told (Lesley Ann Downey's mother) that unless she forgave Hindley and fellow Moors murderer Ian Brady, she would not go to heaven when she died." (Wankipaedia)

"Beck received five life terms (one of the harshest sentences since the abolition of the death penalty) for systematic physical and sexual abuse of children in his care .. "Personally I am convinced that not only did Frank Beck act throughout as an idealist, but that he did not exceed the bounds of propriety and certainly did not commit any criminal act". (ibid.)

"Longford was a staunch opponent of Gay Rights ... stated that homosexuality was "nauseating" and that, regardless of any change in the law, it was "utterly wrongful" ... In the mid-1980s, ... during the Parliamentary debates, he famously stated his opinion that homosexuals are "handicapped people"." (ibid.)

Actually, come to think it, I can see why they'd gravitate towards his fuckwitted, ignorant, inbred and worthless opinions. Peas, meet Pod.

ccdimage

Post by ccdimage »

This is my first post on your board. I thought I would bring something entertaining from the Devil's Dictionary.
SUFFRAGE, n. Expression of opinion by means of a ballot. The right of suffrage (which is held to be both a privilege and a duty) means, as commonly interpreted, the right to vote for the man of another man's choice, and is highly prized. Refusal to do so has the bad name of "incivism." The incivilian, however, cannot be properly arraigned for his crime, for there is no legitimate accuser. If the accuser is himself guilty he has no standing in the court of opinion; if not, he profits by the crime, for A's abstention from voting gives greater weight to the vote of B. By female suffrage is meant the right of a woman to vote as some man tells her to. It is based on female responsibility, which is somewhat limited. The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them.

Philip

Post by Philip »

Ye gods and pixies I've returned from some time off and have been catching up on what Baboon Poop has been thrown in the direction of us "non-feminists" - I have to say, despite all the crap I've seen, I am still surprised by the level of hysteria generated by The Borg Feminist Collective.

Did Surly Amy really get that bent out of shape...over jewelry???

I think Justin - you non leader you! - summed it up brilliantly in his blog post - all I can now say is I'm out of hands to facepalm with at the moment, I may have to grow some more if I want to show any more disappointment.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Philip wrote:I think Justin - you non leader you! - summed it up brilliantly in his blog post - all I can now say is I'm out of hands to facepalm with at the moment, I may have to grow some more if I want to show any more disappointment.
I love the smell of facepalm in the morning.

franc

Post by franc »

Philip wrote:all I can now say is I'm out of hands to facepalm with at the moment, I may have to grow some more if I want to show any more disappointment.
You can't make this shit up can you?

http://i.imgur.com/Lpa4c.jpg

Philip

Post by Philip »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Philip wrote:I think Justin - you non leader you! - summed it up brilliantly in his blog post - all I can now say is I'm out of hands to facepalm with at the moment, I may have to grow some more if I want to show any more disappointment.
I love the smell of facepalm in the morning.
I have to be careful these days, inhaling too much gives me a funny voice

Philip

Post by Philip »

franc wrote:
Philip wrote:all I can now say is I'm out of hands to facepalm with at the moment, I may have to grow some more if I want to show any more disappointment.
You can't make this shit up can you?

http://i.imgur.com/Lpa4c.jpg
If I was a baboon I'd be able to, but sadly no, I could not make this shit up! :D

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Here's a video by Xxxild, about FfTB, PZ and Taslima.

[youtube]VKnvdpj4gvE[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Philip, try weed instead of helium. :P

Philip

Post by Philip »

Scented Nectar wrote:Philip, try weed instead of helium. :P
I've found helium to have more of an effect to be honest - I'll compromise with beer if you like? :D

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Philip wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Philip, try weed instead of helium. :P
I've found helium to have more of an effect to be honest - I'll compromise with beer if you like? :D
Ahhh, you're probably one of the many people who don't feel the effects of weed until after a few times. I was like that too. Not until my 5th time trying was I like "holy fuck, THIS is what they were talking about!" I don't know why that happens with some people and not others.

Can we compromise with you having a beer, and me a wine? Don't like the taste of beer much. :D

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Following Scented's video right up and the comments on the youtube link, could we define "ethics"? Because the cesspit says it's a branch of philosophy, and I'm not much into this stuff. "Right", "wrong"...

If TF did something "unethical" but not illegal, what the fuck is all the fuss about? The posts he unveiled are far more "wrong" than the way he obtained them, me think. And he never doc dropped real names and/or email adresses, as far as I can tell (correct me if wrong).