Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
John Brown

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by John Brown »

soldierwhy wrote:
John Brown wrote:I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range.
That would be an opinion rather than based on fact. Serial killers have been found guilty with no question of their sanity. Atrocities have been carried out around the world (including the murder of children) by individuals who apparently rationally believed that their actions were just and logical.
I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.
Again, don't confuse the medical with the every day usage. IMO individuals who pierce sensitive parts of their bodies are 'insane', but they are not insane.
We're unpacking all kinds of concepts here, and I understand the controversy the surrounds all of this. I tend think more in the Szazian way when it comes to mental illness, so your point is taken. But, if we are to integrate our thoughts into the social milieu, then there's no way we can come up with any other explanation other than mental illness.
I'm certainly not disputing that the most likely reason for Lanza's actions are psychological in nature but 'mental illness' is too broad a term when what you actually mean is 'I can't understand how anyone who is not mentally ill could carry out that act'. Using mental illness in this fashion is so nebulous that it means everything and nothing.
Right, but there's a problem with all of this. We're talking two different languages, which will have to be heaved over for another post.

I'll just say this, in regards to the original question.

To the people yelling the loudest about stigmatizing mental illness, mental illness is a real "thing." Regardless of what debates swirl around the concept, they are firmly entrenched in the current mental illness social milieu. They have no problem either establishing some arbitrary baseline (ableism), or how any particular mental illness measures against that baseline. Mental illness is absolutely empirical in their world view.

So, for them to deny mental illness when there is more than damning proof that the person who carried out these shootings fits well within their rubric, is a complete divorce from the reality they've made for themselves. I can guess at the motivations for this all day long, but I think my original speculation is probably pretty close to the heart of the matter. It takes way their victim cred and it dissociates themselves from the world they have built around themselves.

Now, to switch "languages," I largely agree with what you're saying. Unpacking the concepts of mental illness is a nebulous affair. We can easily measure the effects of mental illness, but we are pretty much at the witch doctor level of understanding of what causes it.

And, I stand by my original assertion. Actions so far out the norm are probably due to a complete (even if temporary) break with reality. Even though we haven't yet defined what mental illness is exactly or how to measure it, I feel it's safe to assume this person was, in fact, mentally ill.

But, as the facts change, I change my mind.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

John Brown wrote:Snip.
Was going to quote you again John but suffice to say I now understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the clarification.

welch

Post by welch »

soldierwhy wrote:
John Brown wrote:I think it's rather safe to speculate that mentally "sane" people do not shoot 20 children at point blank range.
That would be an opinion rather than based on fact. Serial killers have been found guilty with no question of their sanity. Atrocities have been carried out around the world (including the murder of children) by individuals who apparently rationally believed that their actions were just and logical.
No, they were judged not so insane that they weren't responsible for their actions. Ted Bundy is a prime example. That boy was not "sane" in the sense of "killing people because you can and having sex with their corpses is simply not done." But, he was competent to stand trial. When you talk about "sane" in terms of trials, that's not "sane" in all respects. That's just "not so mentally out to lunch that they literally don't know what the fuck is really going on."
soldierwhy wrote:
I agree that the concept of sanity, insanity, mental illness, etc... is nebulous and health care professionals have not done a very good job of finding a "baseline," but we can certainly point out certain behaviors that deviate so far from the norm that they can be nothing less than insane.
Again, don't confuse the medical with the every day usage. IMO individuals who pierce sensitive parts of their bodies are 'insane', but they are not insane.
Well, we're stuck with the word, so we kind of have to let context be our guide.
soldierwhy wrote:
We're unpacking all kinds of concepts here, and I understand the controversy the surrounds all of this. I tend think more in the Szazian way when it comes to mental illness, so your point is taken. But, if we are to integrate our thoughts into the social milieu, then there's no way we can come up with any other explanation other than mental illness.
I'm certainly not disputing that the most likely reason for Lanza's actions are psychological in nature but 'mental illness' is too broad a term when what you actually mean is 'I can't understand how anyone who is not mentally ill could carry out that act'. Using mental illness in this fashion is so nebulous that it means everything and nothing.
No, I don't think so. There are cases of "temporary" insanity. That's usually in rage kills, i.e. come home, and your husband is schtupping the neighbor's wife, you flip out and stab them both. Mental illness is a broad term, but not so broad that it is incorrect to say that someone who plans that kind of spree isn't right in the head. Just means that not everyone who is mentally is is also a spree/serial killer.

All squares are rectangles, etc.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok, so I stupidly read a blog post by Szvan today regarding mental illness which then prompted me to look at other posts on FfTB regarding the Newtown masscre and mental illness.

I can't be the only one thinking "a completely sane person with no mental issues whatsoever would not do this", right? I don't feel I'm stigmatizing those with mental issues because there are varying degrees as well as so many types and *many* afflicted would not be driven to this level of horror.

The posts are just pissing me off because they're pretty much stating that if you even thought Lanza was not in complete control of his mental faculties, you're in the wrong.
I've seen this on other SJW sites, the mental gymnastics they have to perform to minimize or ignore the mental health factor in these crimes, lest the SJW be labeled "abilist". OAfter Gabriel Giffords was shot, one site banned mention of mental illness as a motivation and stated that "people with mental illness or more often the victims of crime rather than the perpetrators." That's likely true, but it doesn't change the fact that Jared Loughner is insane. Instead they reached for the reliable old stand-by: misogyny.
Seriously?? What they pulled from that incident is misogyny? I'm actually glad I haven't read through that crap. I'd probably end up punching my monitor.
That was in the Loughner case. I haven't seen it so far with Lanza. There seems to be a variation on the misogyny argument in the way of "toxic masculinity" that is making the rounds, but it does surprise me that none of the SJWs have divided the victims by sex, found more female victims than males and pronounced misogyny as the motivation.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Scented Nectar wrote:It also says it's at this address:

Maybe he's having trouble and restarting it over and over. No video is appearing yet.
DOOMSDAY - Everyone on the planet starts acting like PZ Myers.
A gauge for behavior-If everyone on the planet acted exactly like you what kind of world would it be?
In PZ's case- wimpy, judgmental, willfully ignorant, and dickish

The only reason I'm listening is to get more sound bites of PZ saying lame shit. He is only useful in that capacity to me... mockery that is. If the slymepit is such a horrible group of people I wonder why PZ isn't playing hero and saving the world from us. He fights against creationists because he considers his position as superior. I guess he doesn't consider himself able/willing to do the same against the slymepit. He really can't claim we are so vile and evil and also claim we have no influence and are unworthy of acknowledgement. Doesn't he realize- Evil knows no bounds. (credit- Slayer)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Reap wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:It also says it's at this address:

Maybe he's having trouble and restarting it over and over. No video is appearing yet.
DOOMSDAY - Everyone on the planet starts acting like PZ Myers.
A gauge for behavior-If everyone on the planet acted exactly like you what kind of world would it be?
In PZ's case- wimpy, judgmental, willfully ignorant, and dickish

The only reason I'm listening is to get more sound bites of PZ saying lame shit. He is only useful in that capacity to me... mockery that is. If the slymepit is such a horrible group of people I wonder why PZ isn't playing hero and saving the world from us. He fights against creationists because he considers his position as superior. I guess he doesn't consider himself able/willing to do the same against the slymepit. He really can't claim we are so vile and evil and also claim we have no influence and are unworthy of acknowledgement. Doesn't he realize- Evil knows no bounds. (credit- Slayer)
Well, I hope you get some good sound bytes to play with. I bailed by around 10 minutes in.
:sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-sleep: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-sleep: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-sleeping: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-blue: :sleeping-blue:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

[youtube]7co-RNIIBWA[/youtube]

A must see

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote: (youtube)7co-RNIIBWA

A must see
Great video.

“appalling ignorance and dishonesty” [@ 1:29]: exactly. Watson at least had the sense after “Galileo-gate” to concede [“herp derp” – apparently “ableist” in the lexicons of some feminists / SJWs] that she had made a mistake about Galileo being executed by the Church. But her refusal to concede a similar “error in judgement” in the case of evo psych looks particularly obtuse, pig-headed and anti-intellectual. Not a particularly good recommendation to allow her in the doors at any skeptics convention, much less actually be any type of speaker.

Great image of “white-knight” PZ Myers riding to rescue Watson on a dinosaur.

mordacious1

BDay

Post by mordacious1 »

Thanks Phil and Renee for the birthday wishes. Italian Rum cake, yum!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

SPACKlick wrote:Ah right, I read the link on Phonons, I skimmed the article on reduction and emeregence and it became clear from your posts, you're talking out the wrong end.
Ah, thank you for that detailed, cogent and well-thought-out criticism. But just to clarify a few points that weren’t clear – my bad – from your voluminous refutation – truly a triumph of scholarship made more impressive by the fact that you created it in less than four minutes, are you perchance rejecting the entirety of the philosophy, physics, and mathematics encompassed by the burgeoning field of emergence and complexity theory and its applications? Or did you, perchance, happen to have some specific objections to my rather general comments and conjectures which I had circumscribed with an acknowledgment of my own limited understanding of those topics which, of course, pales in comparison to your own understanding and abilities?

papillon

Post by papillon »

Meanwhile, over on A+ Shangri-Lalaland, Katy Perry is brought in for an ethics interrogation..and some shit flinging.
Subject: The catchy, bubblegum pop ditty "I kissed a girl (and I liked it)"
A young hetero/bi-curious female vocalist singing about her experience of kissing another girl - What's not to like?
Fucking plenty, apparently.
It's pure goddamned objectification of lesbians. You kissed a girl and you liked it? Congratulations, so do tons of women. "It felt so wrong, it felt so right" yeah, fuck your "it felt so wrong" bullshit.
Oh I see, maybe Katy Perry is just too..erm...slutty? Oops, forgot my Lexicon. Slut-shaming is totes taboo.
[...]No need to slut shame her
Ok, got it. So objectification is the issue here then? Not sluttyness?
Don't slut-shame Katy Perry. Shame her for her homophobia and her glorification of emotional abuse. Because she deserves shaming for the latter two.
Oh FFS, objectification, homophobia and glorification of emotional abuse. Anything else?
[....]tactical considerations should never trump that actual hurt Perry's homophobia and transphobia have caused.
Ah, of course.Transphobia. Next.
Cooouuuldn't help but catch that her description of why girls are "kissable" is a hetero- and cis-centric.
OK, I'll put you down for extra Heterocenrism with a side of Cis-bias.
Enter 'Submor'
In reality, being anti-feminism is pretty tricky when so many feminist values have already become a deeply ingrained part of the cultural landscape.
Right, so that'll be the Partiarchal cultural landscape that these Feminist values are so deeply engrained in will it?
The notion that "women are people" is a feminist value
Really. Really? I'll make sure I let mine out of her cage for Christmas then. Good job you told me.
Anyone else?
My biggest problem with the song is that the narrator/Katy Perry is exploiting another woman. This isn't two women who both know they're only doing it for attention. This is about one woman leading another on, cheaply and insincerely.....That's messed up and hurtful to the fictional woman in the song.
Outrageous! Surely someone must make a stand for fictional womyn's rights.
A slightly contra poster emerges with a suggestion.
Does it signify a growing acceptance of gay people in society
Hmmm..
No, because she's not gay.
Badum - Tssst.

Who knew sweet Katy Perry could spew so much hatred directly into the eardrums of white middle-class kids?
That's right. Katy Perry who.. er..um..Didn't even write the fucking song! It was Cathy Dennis.
Just fucking wow.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 8&start=25

Barael

Post by Barael »

mordacious1 wrote:The world may not end until I eat my birthday cake, those bastard Mayans trying to ruin my birthday. It's bad enough having a birthday so close to christmas (my mom would say, "Just open one of your xmas presents early". I had to explain to the spousal unit why I didn't want my B-day presents wrapped in christmas wrap. Grrr.

But enough about me, I hope no one's world ends today.
Companion in misfortune! (That seems to be the closest thing in english for the finnish expression "kohtalontoveri"). My coping mechanism (for the last couple of years once I got a proper job, anyway) is to buy myself a decent birthday gift. This year it was a 27-inch 1440p display; Slymepit has never looked so good!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

papillon wrote:Meanwhile, over on A+ Shangri-Lalaland, Katy Perry is brought in for an ethics interrogation..and some shit flinging.
A young hetero/bi-curious female vocalist singing about her experience of kissing another girl - What's not to like?
It's pure goddamned objectification of lesbians. You kissed a girl and you liked it? Congratulations, so do tons of women. "It felt so wrong, it felt so right" yeah, fuck your "it felt so wrong" bullshit.
Oh I see, maybe Katy Perry is just too..erm...slutty? Oops, forgot my Lexicon. Slut-shaming is totes taboo.
Don't slut-shame Katy Perry. Shame her for her homophobia and her glorification of emotional abuse. Because she deserves shaming for the latter two.
Oh FFS, objectification, homophobia and glorification of emotional abuse. Anything else?
[....]tactical considerations should never trump that actual hurt Perry's homophobia and transphobia have caused.
Cooouuuldn't help but catch that her description of why girls are "kissable" is a hetero- and cis-centric.
Enter 'Submor'
In reality, being anti-feminism is pretty tricky when so many feminist values have already become a deeply ingrained part of the cultural landscape.
Right, so that'll be the Partiarchal cultural landscape that these Feminist values are so deeply engrained in will it?
Really. Really? I'll make sure I let mine out of her cage for Christmas then. Good job you told me.
Anyone else?
My biggest problem with the song is that the narrator/Katy Perry is exploiting another woman. This isn't two women who both know they're only doing it for attention. This is about one woman leading another on, cheaply and insincerely.....That's messed up and hurtful to the fictional woman in the song.
Hmmm..
Badum - Tssst.

Who knew sweet Katy Perry could spew so much hatred directly into the eardrums of white middle-class kids?
That's right. Katy Perry who.. er..um..Didn't even write the fucking song! It was Cathy Dennis.
Just fucking wow.
Quit smirking, Rebecca Black. You're next.
"Friday is a construct of the Patriarchy.."

papillon

Post by papillon »

Gefan wrote: Quit smirking, Rebecca Black. You're next.
Just had to look her up.
I'm only halfway through the video and I've already identified some key areas of interest.
- Objectification (natch).
- Dental brace glorification.
- Green screen abuse.

Someone call the SPLC!

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

http://i.imgur.com/T1JHU.png?1
That's because you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into Sheila, you stupid cunt.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I found that Katy Perry song a bit off to be honest. But not off enough for me to write a blog post about it ranting about teh evils. I kinda assumed it was so wrong in the context of her being a preacher's daughter, though.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

real horrorshow wrote:http://i.imgur.com/T1JHU.png?1
That's because you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into Sheila, you stupid cunt.
Well Saturday does come after Friday, and Sunday is the day after Saturday...

Wait, we're still talking about Rebecca Black, right?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

papillon wrote:Meanwhile, over on A+ Shangri-Lalaland, Katy Perry is brought in for an ethics interrogation..and some shit flinging.
Badum - Tssst.

Just fucking wow.
One of the arguments of postmodernism is apparently that “reality is a social construct” and the AtheismPlus crowd seems deep into creating a plethora of their own idiosyncratic varieties; most people who are actually sane are more likely to characterize that as simply “delusional”. And that inference of “Perry’s homophobia” has to take the cake.

However, you might be interested in these observations by Richard Dawkins on the phenomenon:
Richard Dawkins wrote:The feminist 'philosopher' Luce Irigaray is another who gets whole-chapter treatment from Sokal and Bricmont. In a passage reminiscent of a notorious feminist description of Newton's Principia (a "rape manual"), Irigaray argues that E=mc2 is a "sexed equation". Why? Because "it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us" (my emphasis of what I am rapidly coming to learn is an 'in' word). Just as typical of this school of thought is Irigaray's thesis on fluid mechanics. Fluids, you see, have been unfairly neglected. "Masculine physics" privileges rigid, solid things. Her American expositor Katherine Hayles made the mistake of re-expressing Irigaray's thoughts in (comparatively) clear language. For once, we get a reasonably unobstructed look at the emperor and, yes, he has no clothes:
The privileging of solid over fluid mechanics, and indeed the inability of science to deal with turbulent flow at all, she attributes to the association of fluidity with femininity. Whereas men have sex organs that protrude and become rigid, women have openings that leak menstrual blood and vaginal fluids... From this perspective it is no wonder that science has not been able to arrive at a successful model for turbulence. The problem of turbulent flow cannot be solved because the conceptions of fluids (and of women) have been formulated so as necessarily to leave unarticulated remainders.
:icon-eek:

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Great cartoon, although it has to be noted that Rebecca's hair is now blue.

She can't change the fact that she is a rapist, though.
Purist!

Lmao. This better?

http://wcoa.info/mwm.jpg

katamari Damassi

Gefan wrote:
Enter 'Submor'
Anyone else?
Hmmm..
Badum - Tssst.

Just fucking wow.
Quit smirking, Rebecca Black. You're next.
This stuff is great! Keep it comin'. You guys make my day.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Colon wipes the spittle off his keyboard to comment...
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 41b069.jpg

- "Nice 'A' for atheism t-shirt you got there"
- "Thanks. It was a lot nicer before Ophelia Benson ruined it by daubing a '+' on it though"
- "Did she?"
- "Yeah, she wrote it with dog shit on the end of her finger. The dirty cunt.."
- "Oh well, I quite like it"
- "Wha? I'm gonna stick it in the wash. It fucking reeks"
- "But that's vandalism. Only taking away. Not adding. She was doing you a favour"
- "Fuck off Colon"

papillon

Post by papillon »

rayshul wrote:I found that Katy Perry song a bit off to be honest. But not off enough for me to write a blog post about it ranting about teh evils. I kinda assumed it was so wrong in the context of her being a preacher's daughter, though.
Not as wrong as a preacher's daughter marrying former junkie and sex-addict Russel Brand though :)

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

You had me rolling there! You should use that as your sig.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Steersman wrote: However, you might be interested in these observations by Richard Dawkins on the phenomenon:
Thnks for the link.
I always imagine the more extreme A+ philosophy as a String Theoryesque extra dimension.
It's so tiny, so curled up, always there, it surrounds us, yet can't be seen or even pointed to.
It can be demonstrated in theory, but doesn't seem to have any positive interaction with our reality.
Ok, so I've probably overextended that a little, but it's sometimes difficult to describe the crazy.

BTW- Have you read 'Emergence' by Steven Johnson?
It's been sat unread on my shelf for six months. I'm just hoping it's not woo when I do get round to reading it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Of course, the statement was meant in the same way as "You can't use logic or reason with blithering Christian fundies", but of course Sheila adapted it to conform to her bias. Twit. These people couldn't be honest if their lives depended on it.

welch

Post by welch »

My new coffee mug, I WILL HAVE IT: https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6897613824/h9F964822/

also, it's fun to watch oolon try to piss me off. Wonder when he'll figure it out. (yes child, I know you read this site.)

real horrorshow

[quote="katamari Damassi"This stuff is great! Keep it comin'. You guys make my day.[/quote]
Oh, you think providing you with amusement is some part of the Slimepit's function do you?

[youtube]7EJLoxdoI-Q[/youtube]

Well, yeah actually, it is.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Here's the public Facebook profile of the person who vandalized the FFRF banner - included are some choice screenshots of his comments grouping atheists with child rapists, assertions that the FFRF is trying to establish a state religion, racist language, and misogynistic thought (yup, I'm serious!)

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2012 ... k-profile/

http://i.imgur.com/ZJTV5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ScgFB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QVtaW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pz4pD.jpg

FTB should 'jump on this' - perhaps in a matter of unexpected solidarity. The olive branch is here...and these are quite 'exemplary' examples of misogynistic thought I must say! So far, though, prior to this post, there has been an FTB blackout as it seems... I would expect at least a post from PZ in support because he loves this type of 'confrontationalist' activism regardless of what he thinks of me. Oh well. I'm not holding my breath.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

justinvacula wrote:Here's the public Facebook profile of the person who vandalized the FFRF banner - included are some choice screenshots of his comments grouping atheists with child rapists, assertions that the FFRF is trying to establish a state religion, racist language, and misogynistic thought (yup, I'm serious!)

FTB should 'jump on this' - perhaps in a matter of unexpected solidarity. The olive branch is here...and these are quite 'exemplary' examples of misogynistic thought I must say! So far, though, prior to this post, there has been an FTB blackout as it seems... I would expect at least a post from PZ in support because he loves this type of 'confrontationalist' activism regardless of what he thinks of me. Oh well. I'm not holding my breath.
Justin,you're a misogynistic, rape-enabler, and serial doxxer. Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath either. You do good for society. Keep moving forward, bro.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
The privileging of solid over fluid mechanics, and indeed the inability of science to deal with turbulent flow at all, she attributes to the association of fluidity with femininity. Whereas men have sex organs that protrude and become rigid, women have openings that leak menstrual blood and vaginal fluids... From this perspective it is no wonder that science has not been able to arrive at a successful model for turbulence. The problem of turbulent flow cannot be solved because the conceptions of fluids (and of women) have been formulated so as necessarily to leave unarticulated remainders.
I am not happy I read that, because at this stage of my life I really do need whatever is left of my IQ. I am now more stupid after reading that than I was before. Perhaps that was the real objective?

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gefan wrote:It's pure goddamned objectification of lesbians. You kissed a girl and you liked it? Congratulations, so do tons of women. "It felt so wrong, it felt so right" yeah, fuck your "it felt so wrong" bullshit.
Now Atheism+ can join all the other religions that hate Katy Perry's song.

Wait, silly! Atheism+ isn't a religion...

Wait...

real horrorshow

rayshul wrote:
Well Saturday does come after Friday, and Sunday is the day after Saturday...

Wait, we're still talking about Rebecca Black, right?
Now, I just went and looked that up and got about 20 seconds of video. So now I'm a bit grumpy, because perky teenagers do that to me.
"Hey Katy, here's a tip: If you're someone who usually gets the bus to school, those kids driving a Mercedes are not your friends. In fact why is a teenage girl who has her own Merc going to the same school as anyone who doesn't?"
Didn't get any further before perkiness overload cut in.
Outwest wrote:You had me rolling there! You should use that as your sig.
Can't really do that, it's a pretty well known phrase and certainly not original to me. Sheila's quote - from Stephalump's Blurg - is classic Baboon though. Had Sheila read Welch's post she might have realised that he was by no means claiming that Watson was too formidable to be taken on in the arena of reason. [Pause to chortle over that notion]. He was saying that you don't wear your best suit to a shit-flinging contest.

katamari Damassi

justinvacula wrote:Here's the public Facebook profile of the person who vandalized the FFRF banner - included are some choice screenshots of his comments grouping atheists with child rapists, assertions that the FFRF is trying to establish a state religion, racist language, and misogynistic thought (yup, I'm serious!)

I do give this ignorant redneck some credit for being open about this act of vandalism. Frankly I expected this to happen at the hands of an anonymous christian coward.
Yeah FTB should support you on this, but given their track record they will do either A) Never acknowledge this happened because to do so would acknowledge that someone not in their clique actually does real activism instead of typing up blogposts that only their followers read. Or B) Blame the victim and say you did something to provoke it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

katamari Damassi wrote:

I do give this ignorant redneck some credit for being open about this act of vandalism. Frankly I expected this to happen at the hands of an anonymous christian coward.
Yeah FTB should support you on this, but given their track record they will do either A) Never acknowledge this happened because to do so would acknowledge that someone not in their clique actually does real activism instead of typing up blogposts that only their followers read. Or B) Blame the victim and say you did something to provoke it.
Good comment, but you - and others - might want to spend a moment to edit the comment you're responding to so that images are not duplicated unnecessarily ....

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Yeah FTB should support you on this, but given their track record they will do either A) Never acknowledge this happened because to do so would acknowledge that someone not in their clique actually does real activism instead of typing up blogposts that only their followers read. Or B) Blame the victim and say you did something to provoke it.[/quote]

PZ, Greta, and Jen -- just to name three -- were happy to promote my activism before I was an unapproved person(TM).

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
I am not happy I read that, because at this stage of my life I really do need whatever is left of my IQ. I am now more stupid after reading that than I was before. Perhaps that was the real objective?
I know what you mean – I had been thinking of adding this smiley :angry-banghead: as an indication of what reading that passage and related ones felt equivalent to.

Just once would I like to see some of the FfTB/Skepchick/A+ condemn – or even strenuously criticize – that type of perspective. That they haven’t – that I’ve seen – leads one to think that they might actually be supportive of it, particularly in light of similar positions they hold.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

I did my part in the comments on the news story. Ol' Joe, though, is a typical dimwit Jeebus-shouting dumbass. He thinks he's a rocket scientist and a Christian hero. Still is was fun to add to the dogpile.
Oh please. FTB and their associates don't give a flying fuck about atheism anymore. And since the banner is one you are so intimately involved with, even the raging misogyny won't get them to peck at their keyboards. If anything, they'll be chuckling with glee over what they will tout as another victory against the hated Justin Fucking Vacula.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

justinvacula wrote:PZ, Greta, and Jen -- just to name three -- were happy to promote my activism before I was an unapproved person(TM).
http://wcoa.info/vaculaaplusreject.jpg

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

papillon wrote:
rayshul wrote:I found that Katy Perry song a bit off to be honest. But not off enough for me to write a blog post about it ranting about teh evils. I kinda assumed it was so wrong in the context of her being a preacher's daughter, though.
Not as wrong as a preacher's daughter marrying former junkie and sex-addict Russel Brand though :)
And DIVORCING HIM! That's pretty unChristian I understand.

I saw Brand a couple of weeks ago. He was unbelievably greasy. I assume he'd just gotten off a plane or something.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

More proof that MRAs are rape enablers:

http://elusivewapiti.blogspot.ca/2012/1 ... -rape.html
If A Woman Does It, It's Not Rape
It's "just sex", or "midlife crisis" or "he's persistent" or "low self-esteem" or "she's vulnerable" or "it goes on everywhere" or whatever. Anything but the r-word which, apparently, only men are capable of doing:
He is talking about this:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... -1.1201771

welch

Post by welch »

Dude, you're an SP. get with the (Fair Game) program.

Slither

Post by Slither »

Gee, you guys post so fast that when I want to comment on something, pages have already gone by!

A little while ago, the topic of the usual suspects whining about catcalling came up. This reminded me of http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44182286/ ... NT2M280V8E. an interview with Ninalee Craig, who is the woman shown in the photo "An American Girl in Italy":
http://misskmaas.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 408697.jpg.

This photo has been used for ages as an example of the evils of catcalling. Ninalee Craig is rather upset about this -- she says
"It’s not a symbol of harassment. It’s a symbol of a woman having an absolutely wonderful time!" She knows the men in the photo appear to be leering and lascivious, but she insists they were harmless. “Very few of those men had jobs,” Craig said. “Italy was recovering from the war and had really been devastated by it … I can tell you that it wasn’t the intent of any man there to harass me....none of those men crossed the line at all.”
It is a very nice interview, and very different from what you usually hear about this photo.

acathode

Post by acathode »

AndrewV69 wrote:More proof that MRAs are rape enablers:

http://elusivewapiti.blogspot.ca/2012/1 ... -rape.html
If A Woman Does It, It's Not Rape
It's "just sex", or "midlife crisis" or "he's persistent" or "low self-esteem" or "she's vulnerable" or "it goes on everywhere" or whatever. Anything but the r-word which, apparently, only men are capable of doing:
He is talking about this:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... -1.1201771
I linked to this article some time ago, it's old, but there's so much jaw-dropping stupidity, from a self-titled feminist, that it deserves a re-run:
do we seriously think that a female teacher sleeping with a male pupil is on a par with a male teacher sleeping with a girl pupil? I don't.
The internet is awash with sites dealing with "older woman teacher-pupil" fantasies. And there lies the rub – should the law be treating male and female pupil victims equally when male and female teenagers are so different?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Now that we are getting close to the end of the year, it is time for the Pit Crew to submit their lists of the Top 10 Worst Baboons of the Year.

In reverse order - here are mine:

Bubbling Under: RICHARD CARRIER, JEN MCWRONG, GRETA CHRISTINA, MELODY HENSLEY, BROWNIAN, WOWBAGGER, CROMMUNIST, WINTERWIND, RHYS MORGAN, and VARIOUS PUBLICATIONS AND MAGAZINES (who allow Rebecca Watson to spew her faeces)

10. SURLY AMY - If there is one Baboon that lives down to her name, then surely it is Surly Amy, aka Scurvy Amy. She produces really shit and tatty jewellery which she attempts to sell to blind (or stupid) people at conferences. However, after falsely accusing Justin Vacula of "doxxing" her, and issuing numerous DMCAs against people criticising her, Scurvy was ridiculed at TAM. Little Surly stamped her feet, and we all laughed hard. Later, it was revealed she was a typical Baboon hypocrite - she had "doxxed" the private details from a DMCA counternotice. We all laughed again when it turned out those details were false!

9. MATT DILLAHUNTY - Doormat, as he became known, can now be regarded as a classic victim of cognitive dissonance. Despite appearing logical on his Atheist Experience show, Doormat has shown he either has severe retardation, or he has his balls in the grip of several radfems, including his new wife. Suspicions were first raised about Doormat with his "facts don't matter" comment on ElevatorGATE, but he really started to flounce when A+ was launched. After having it confirmed what a bunch of wankstains the Baboons were after his pseudonymous comment was deleted on A+, he still couldn't bring himself to see the light. Doormat ended up getting booted from A+ amid much publicity, so he dressed up as a woman to compensate.

8. SIKIVU HUTCHISON - An example of the type of radical feminist insanity that characterises Baboons is no more evident and refined than in the form of Sikivu - so named because she makes people feel sick. For someone who spends her time on issues involving race, Sikivu seems to be blissfully ignorant of what the term "supremacist" means, and her lowlight of the year came when she accused Richard Dawkins of being a "white supremacist". She lost her integrity after that, and only now surfaces in the headlines after saying something dumb about race or feminism.

7. OOLON - An incredible achievement (reaching the Top 10) for a mere poster at the Baboon boards, Oolon (or Oloon) has shown a remarkable resilience to humiliation and pwnage. After prostituting himself as PZ's cocksucker, Oolon was promptly banned for commenting at The Slyme Pit. However, unlike other former FfTB posters who saw the light and then posted on The Pit, Oolon was only there to troll (not very successfully!) and to reveal he downloaded and kept child pornography. If it is any consolation, he should feel right at home at FfTB among with the other paedophiles, "potential rapists" and racists.

6. JASON “Lousy Canuck” THIBEAULT - Lousy Cunt, as he is known, had his 'best' year yet, but was not quite able to break the Top 5. Among Thibeault's highlights was his reveal of what a homophobic twat he is, after he leapt into the witch hunt against DJ Grothe. Thibeault also responded embarrassingly to criticism from Justin Vacula, whom he called a "vacuous piece of shit". For most of the year Canuck has spent his time popping up on FfTB boards (notably Ophelia's) to spread lies and insults.

5. "OSAMA" GREG LADEN - It was a grim year for Laden, at home on the trailer park, and in the skepticism/atheist communities. Greg's bullying, doxxing and threatening behaviour eventually caught up with him, but only after Justin Griffith revealed the truth about him. Until then, PZ was eager to keep the email threats from Laden in the "backchannel". This is after months of trying to intimidate people on the web. Amazingly, after his booting from FfTB, Greg wrote the "anti-harassment" policy for a conference populated by Skepchicks!!! After stating how he wanted to see Greek people starve, his embarrassing year ended with a whopper of a blooper when he thought he could delete comments on somebody else’s Facebook page. The fucking clueless shitstain.

4. OPHELIA BENSON - Poor old Ophelia Benson showed strong signs of senile dementia throughout the year. Her obsession over the word "cunt" continues, although if you are a close friend or associate, or your name is Rhys Morgan, the term suddenly becomes acceptable. More friends and associates were lost, and yet Ophelia still can't figure out why. Her most embarrassing incident of the year (the list is long!!!) came when she flounced out of TAM after receiving "threats" which turned out not to be threats at all, but the ramblings of one of her supporters! Towards the end of the year, Ophelia was pwned by Michael Shermer, which resulted in a catastrophic response from Ophelia entirely lacking in evidence, skepticism and intelligence. She was roundly laughed at, and no doubt, her eventual nervous breakdown draws ever nearer.

3. STEPHANIE SVAN - Achieving her highest ever position on my list, Black Svan was perhaps the most vindictive of the Baboons, apart from her sex reliever friend Greg Laden. Not content with getting confused over the tweets of Richard Dawkins, Svan scours the web high and wide in search of something she can misconstrue, including spying on people's Facebook profiles. Little Miss Svan can't stand not getting her way, and that resulted in her launching an on-line bullying and harassment campaign against Justin Vacula. Svan has revealed herself to be FfTB's foremost bully-in-chief since the removal of Laden, but she quickly flounces when the "pushback" starts to get her down. A nasty, backstabbing, gossipy piece of shit who could well challenge for the title next year!

2. PZ MYERS - Another year, and another shambles from PZ, whose decline becomes more and more embarrassing. Myers now has the appeal of a Islamist paedophile in a kindergarten, and he kindly made voting easier for us by declaring himself racist. So that means PZ is a racist, a "potential rapist" and a complete twat. PZ's behaviour was so erratic he fell out with Jen McWrong after trashing one of her polls. His feud with ThunderFoot was the icing on the cake in a truly annus horribilis for PZ.

1. REBECCA WATSON - yet another easy victory for this talentless piece of shit contaminating the atheist and skeptic communities. Although in the lead for the coveted prize well before December, Rebecca made sure of her victory by demonstrating that she is clueless about evo psych and skepticism, and then revealed that she is a rapist. But these incidents were just the latest in a long series of disasters and bloopers, including numerous occasions when she was caught lying, and her failed attempt to ruin TAM and tarnish DJ Grothe. Somehow, she is STILL a contributor to the SGU podcast, which does beg the question - what dirt does she have on Steve Novella? Despite serious competition from fellow Baboons, Queen Bee has already been installed as next year's favourite.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Slither wrote: This photo has been used for ages as an example of the evils of catcalling. Ninalee Craig is rather upset about this -- she says
"It’s not a symbol of harassment. It’s a symbol of a woman having an absolutely wonderful time!" She knows the men in the photo appear to be leering and lascivious, but she insists they were harmless. “Very few of those men had jobs,” Craig said. “Italy was recovering from the war and had really been devastated by it … I can tell you that it wasn’t the intent of any man there to harass me....none of those men crossed the line at all.”
It is a very nice interview, and very different from what you usually hear about this photo.
Well, even though she was there, had a feel for the culture of postwar Italy, didn't feel harassed or threatened... since she doesn't agree with the Skepchicks and PZ, she was obviously wrong and a brainwashed victim of Teh Patriarchy. Or in this case, Il Patriarcato.

That's what the FtB and Skepchick assclowns deliberately refuse to get... that not everything is black and white and that there are endless shades of grey in any situation. These absolutist fucktards won't have any of that though. Not enough blog hits that way.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Admitted vandal of the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Let reason prevail” freethought holiday banner which was placed on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre appeared on WILK Newsradio to discuss his position. Within the interview, he admits to his criminal activity although claiming he didn’t commit a crime. This is comedy gold. Enjoy.

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2012 ... recording/

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tuvok, that was hilarious. Reminds me of the South Park "Biggest Douche in the Universe" episode.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

justinvacula wrote:Admitted vandal of the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Let reason prevail” freethought holiday banner which was placed on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre appeared on WILK Newsradio to discuss his position. Within the interview, he admits to his criminal activity although claiming he didn’t commit a crime. This is comedy gold. Enjoy.

He's also claiming (in the comments on that news story) claiming that only Christians built Wilkes-Barre, but then said Jews did too. He claims people have been worshiping his god since the beginning of time ( :lol: ), but then says he knows all about polytheism. He can't spell, he has no grasp of punctuation, can barely regurgitate his thoughts onto the comments section.... yet insists he's a brilliant student and knows more about the evolution of religion (and history) than any of the people who are currently fucking him into the ground in the comments. He is SO typical of the least-educated, mouth-breathing fundies who so cluelessly think they're successfully bluffing everyone. He's making a complete ass out of himself, and I've been happily helping him.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Steersman wrote:
Badum - Tssst.

Just fucking wow.
One of the arguments of postmodernism is apparently that “reality is a social construct” and the AtheismPlus crowd seems deep into creating a plethora of their own idiosyncratic varieties; most people who are actually sane are more likely to characterize that as simply “delusional”. And that inference of “Perry’s homophobia” has to take the cake.

However, you might be interested in these observations by Richard Dawkins on the phenomenon:
Richard Dawkins wrote:The feminist 'philosopher' Luce Irigaray is another who gets whole-chapter treatment from Sokal and Bricmont. In a passage reminiscent of a notorious feminist description of Newton's Principia (a "rape manual"), Irigaray argues that E=mc2 is a "sexed equation". Why? Because "it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us" (my emphasis of what I am rapidly coming to learn is an 'in' word). Just as typical of this school of thought is Irigaray's thesis on fluid mechanics. Fluids, you see, have been unfairly neglected. "Masculine physics" privileges rigid, solid things. Her American expositor Katherine Hayles made the mistake of re-expressing Irigaray's thoughts in (comparatively) clear language. For once, we get a reasonably unobstructed look at the emperor and, yes, he has no clothes:
I read the Dawkins article, and did a little looking around for Carolyn Guertin, and Oh my sweet titty christ....in her "Assemblage The Women's New Media Gallery: a 1998 "dissertation" comprised of the shittiest website I've ever seen( I know, they were all pretty shitty back then, but without pages of "theory"). Insanity is now a path to a doctorate...thanks, Marshall Mcluhan.

The Ballad of the Internet Nutball:
Chaining Rhetorical Visions from the Margins of the Margins to the Mainstream in the Xenaverse
By Christine Boese

Doctoral dissertation accepted
at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
August 1998
http://www.nutball.com/dissertation/

A sample: "On the personal side, if I pretended that a linear argument were the last word in knowledge-making, I would be deliberately turning a blind eye toward other ways of knowing I have experienced. These personal ways of knowing in hypertext itself, in the realm of visual rhetoric as a photographer and a multimedia designer, in the expressivist realm as a poet while working intensely on my MFA, and as a woman from a matriarchal extended family of fluent nonlinear thinkers who experience the world in native hypertext. For me linearity is an elaborate and often frustrating form of code-switching, of translation. I love a good argument, but by my orientation the best arguments are dialogic and interactive, not monologic and linear. As Belenky et al. in Women's Ways of Knowing and the same authors in Knowledge, Difference, and Power point out, there are several "ways of knowing," not just for women, that often fall outside of the patriarchal culture's privileging of "separate knowing." According to the authors, "separate knowing. . . is characterized by a distanced, skeptical, and impersonal stance toward that which one is trying to know (a reasoning against)" (Goldberger et al. 5). Or, as Clinchy put it, "In separate knowing one takes an adversarial stance toward new ideas, even when the ideas seem intuitively appealing; the typical mode of discourse is argument" (207). Opening this dissertation to forms of "connected knowing" and "constructed knowing" as well as "separate knowing" is my goal here."

http://tracearchive.ntu.ac.uk/traced/gu ... mblage.htm

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
justinvacula wrote:PZ, Greta, and Jen -- just to name three -- were happy to promote my activism before I was an unapproved person(TM).
http://wcoa.info/vaculaaplusreject.jpg
The issue IMO is that many of these SJWs do not have a real job, and even if they have one, no vocation. Fortunately for them there are some new vacancys

Another 3 polio workers shot in Pakistan, 8 dead in 48 hours
http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/so ... n-48-hours

Of course this could be fallout from this type of thing:

CIA organised fake vaccination drive to get Osama bin Laden's family DNA
Senior Pakistani doctor who organised vaccine programme in Abbottabad arrested by ISI for working with US agents
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... ladens-dna

Anyway, I do know someone with contacts at the UN who has had no issues in the past with sending real SJWs into places like this. Contact me if you want an "in".

Our pretend SJWs can stay at home and work with J "fucking scum" V or they can go to Pakistan, or they can do what they do best, provide me with fodder for the lulz, because thay are pretty much below contempt at this point.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Here's the Wilkes-Barre Mayor's office Facebook page, for those interested in inquiring why no legal action has been taken with regards to the vandalizing of the atheist banner in its town square:

http://www.facebook.com/citywb

The moron who tore it down is bragging cops are shaking his hand and congratulating him. Wilkes-Barre sounds like such a great town...

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Oh my.....I won't post any more links, but I had to share this bit of magic:

http://ensemble.va.com.au/array/steff.html

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Gumby wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Admitted vandal of the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Let reason prevail” freethought holiday banner which was placed on Public Square in Wilkes-Barre appeared on WILK Newsradio to discuss his position. Within the interview, he admits to his criminal activity although claiming he didn’t commit a crime. This is comedy gold. Enjoy.

He's also claiming (in the comments on that news story) claiming that only Christians built Wilkes-Barre, but then said Jews did too. He claims people have been worshiping his god since the beginning of time ( :lol: ), but then says he knows all about polytheism. He can't spell, he has no grasp of punctuation, can barely regurgitate his thoughts onto the comments section.... yet insists he's a brilliant student and knows more about the evolution of religion (and history) than any of the people who are currently fucking him into the ground in the comments. He is SO typical of the least-educated, mouth-breathing fundies who so cluelessly think they're successfully bluffing everyone. He's making a complete ass out of himself, and I've been happily helping him.
Yeah, Bullshit. My family has been in Luzerne County for hundreds of fucking years, particularly in the Wilkes-Barre/Pittson area and were very instrumental in the development of the area. They still own more land and businesses than probably any private family within a 100 fucking miles of the place. So fuck this fucken fuck and his 'Christians built Wilkes-Barre' bullshit. Douchecanoe.

acathode

Post by acathode »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Now that we are getting close to the end of the year, it is time for the Pit Crew to submit their lists of the Top 10 Worst Baboons of the Year.
Oolon doesn't deserve a spot, he's just a bad troll desperate for attention from ANYONE who will bother with him.

Carrier or Crommunist should take it instead, Carrier strangled the newly born A+ with it's umbilical cord, leaving the small, mentally insane flopping corpse that today is the A+ forum.

Crommunist on the other hand invited the Half-fish into FTB and let him smear the walls with HIV infected feces. If you want to quickly convince someone that everything really isn't as it should be in FTB-land, one needs only to direct them to the spluttering half-fish defending the right for "poz" people to "convert" others without their informed consent, and the equally insane Crommunist trying to defend the fishy madness.

Hutchins also deserves a higher rank, first managing to accuse Dawkins, Harris, Dennett and Hitchens of being white supremacists, and then writing the utterly insane racist crap she just did, she's a perfect example of just how crazy the baboon SJW logic actually is. Let her take JT's place, and throw JT out completely, in favor of putting Carrier at 8th and Crommunist at 7th.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

OK last one, for real....this one is actually interesting, in a very self-obsessed sort of way....ah, artists....whachagonnado?

http://www.altx.com/thebody/body.html

real horrorshow

rayshul wrote:I saw Brand a couple of weeks ago. He was unbelievably greasy. I assume he'd just gotten off a plane or something.
Nah, that's just his personality seeping out.

sacha

Post by sacha »

John Brown wrote:
sacha wrote:
Karma = cause and effect of morality as universal law.

I still have not seen any evidence to the contrary, although there are some who are changing the core concept to fit their definition.

I don't understand why a sceptic would want to associate something based in reality with an ancient concept of woo.
It simply gives the word credibility, even if the incorrect "western" translation was an accepted definition.
Because language can be fluid and sometimes it's easier to fit a word in which everyone will understand to represent a rather clunky concept?

It's like using the word purgatory to describe some event in your life where you had to wait a ridiculous amount of time to get or do something.

-"Hey, John, how's that proposal coming?"
-"It's in purgatory, you know, because Hell is other people."
-"Ah. That sucks, dude."

It's just a symbol to efficiently get a point across.

You could extricate the dictionary of any words that have anything to do with woo or religion, but the English language would be much poorer for it.

okay. I understand your point, however, I have issue with using the word karma because few people even understand the definition of the word to begin with.
It's not a benign, or benevolent concept, although neither is "hell" or "purgatory", but most people understand what those words represent.
Karma is the same concept as blaming someone for dying a painful death from stomach cancer, because they did not pray enough.

It is a moral judgement and sentence.
John Brown wrote: Is there any other word or phrase you can think of that gets across the idea that what you do in life and how you treat people has a way of affecting how you are treated? What goes around, comes around?
Yes. A far better word would be recompense

or even comeuppance, but not "karma".

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

He lost his shit big time. And please. Next time. No typing?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Dilurk wrote:

He lost his shit big time. And please. Next time. No typing?
A better recording will be available :)
I wanted to release ASAP.