Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
decius wrote: Ditto. Sorry for the double negative.

Why not? It can be more work, but it completely avoids all network issues.
For a show like AMB that is (usually) just a set number of hosts, I agree individual local recording (we actually do both - everyone records locally and I capture the network stream as a backup) is the best. The problem is when you have frequent guests. I'd guess that at least 25% of the times we've had guests they manage to fuck up their local recordings.

ye gods the "no more than 3 levels of nested quotes" shit is annoying
yep to both.

We had one guy, good guest, but sent me a file of nothing but static.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: really?

sounds like typical network dropout issues to me. Was a real problem for AMB for a while.

Having said that, there are some tips that would help, and can be delivered in a non-dick way.

1) Keep an eye on mic distance. Wooly sounds like she's moving away from the mic a lot.
2) It's not the BEST way to manage levels, but Levelator is pretty good at it, and it's dead simple to use. http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/ Just make sure you haven't put the music in before you run it, or Levelator will go a little crazy. Make sure you save out the source file as AIFF or WAV.
3) If you can, don't use gaming headsets. They wrap the mic and headset wires together, and so you get a lot of inductive bleed from the headphones into the mic. Separate ear and mouth wires are your friend.
4) pay attention to your local levels. There's a lot of clipping going on. (you can't do much about guests, but the regulars should be able to manage this.)
5) for the output, export as mono. There's nothing gained from stereo in this case, and it keeps the file smaller at higher bitrates than stereo. You get higher quality without blowing up the file size. Ours averages about 65MB for three people for an hour at 128Kbps, mono, 44KHz.
6) If you're just getting a lot of network issues, recording locally is always an option. But that does increase your workload.

it can take a while to get it right. I mean, I think it took us the better part of a year to get it all right, and we still fuck it up in different ways.

In terms of gear, I'm using a dynamic mic, something like a Sennheiser 835 e: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/Dynamic-mi ... 800_004513 Dynamics are really good for this kind of thing, but they're more expensive, and they tend to be XLR mics, not USB. However, unlike condensors, they don't pick up a lot of background noise, and they can take a beating. The mic goes into a XLR - USB breakout box, I forget which one. Most of my recording levels are set there, and I almost never fuck with it.

I've got a windscreen on the mic, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s- ... 1400374.gc and a pop filter http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s- ... 1423935.gc on the mic stand: http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-St ... 1176318.gc

There's a pic of me recording here:

my "desk" is a round table. Really, the most expensive bits are the mic and the breakout box.

For recording, I use WireTap Studio from Ambrosia Software, http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/
For post processing, GarageBand from Apple, and the aforementioned Levelator.

We use Amazon S3 for our storage, we got too popular for the free options we'd been using, and with Amazon, I have better options if things aren't working right. The nice thing with not going youtube is that it lets us use RSS as our primary distribution mechanism. So, we're in the iTunes Music Store in the podcast section. (no really: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ang ... 11866?mt=2)

The actual RSS feed is via Feedburner, who kind of suck, but they're the best option if you want to track that shit.

minor point

AMB is sponsored. That money pays for the gear and all the rest. Had I had to pay for it, i'd be using the gaming headset I already own, and people could suck it. Honestly, a few minor tweaks, and you'll sound fine. The levels and the clipping are your worst enemies at the moment, those are fixable. If you want to spend cash, you can get really good sound for not a LOT of money. Initially, I'd pay attention to the environment. One of the disadvantages of headsets is consistent mic placement can be a bear. It doesn't look like it, but I can see the laptop screen really well without moving my head. That wasn't always the case, and the boom stand was a huge improvement.

If you want any more info, lemme know, I'm happy to share.
To add a bit to what John said (if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm another 1/3rd of the Angry Mac Bastards):

If you're looking to take the first step up from USB headsets, you can't really do better for the money than Blue Microphones. I used the Blue Snowball for about a year. The only issue I ever had with it was that, since it's a condenser mic it tended to be a little "hot" for my recording space. Our regular guest host is using my Snowball now and she sounds fine. If you want to spend more dosh Blue makes several mics at higher price-points. The Yeti is hugely popular in the Mac podcasting scene.

If you want to move up to a professional grade dynamic mic without doing the XLR/USB input box dance that John does I highly recommend the RØDE Podcaster. It's a dynamic mic, but it has the USB DAC built in so you don't have to buy an XLR to USB converter.

Another tip that can help greatly is, if you do go to a standalone mic, invest in a swing-arm or mic floor stand. The desk stands that these mics come with will transmit every little vibration - the sound of typing, touching shit on your desk, or even the noise from a computer's fans, HD, etc. Even a cheap floor stand will make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tips guys. When we started this, I went and bought a cheap USB headset. ~$30. So, I'll look to upgrade before the next podcast. I looked at the levelator site. I'll ask Wooly (she actually does the recording) to get it before the next podcast.

My issue is that I'm using a MacBook Air. Only has USB as an option (yeah, I'm a Mac guy for the last 8 years).
What's really interesting though, is that when we were doing the 'cast, other than the occasional drops, everything sounded fine. Hell, I wasn't even using my headset and all the voices came across just fine.

So, anyway, I'll be upgrading some hardware in the next week and hopefully, with the suggestions both of you have made, the next 'cast will be a big improvement.

Thanks again.

welch

Post by welch »

Outwest wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: really?

sounds like typical network dropout issues to me. Was a real problem for AMB for a while.

Having said that, there are some tips that would help, and can be delivered in a non-dick way.

1) Keep an eye on mic distance. Wooly sounds like she's moving away from the mic a lot.
2) It's not the BEST way to manage levels, but Levelator is pretty good at it, and it's dead simple to use. http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/ Just make sure you haven't put the music in before you run it, or Levelator will go a little crazy. Make sure you save out the source file as AIFF or WAV.
3) If you can, don't use gaming headsets. They wrap the mic and headset wires together, and so you get a lot of inductive bleed from the headphones into the mic. Separate ear and mouth wires are your friend.
4) pay attention to your local levels. There's a lot of clipping going on. (you can't do much about guests, but the regulars should be able to manage this.)
5) for the output, export as mono. There's nothing gained from stereo in this case, and it keeps the file smaller at higher bitrates than stereo. You get higher quality without blowing up the file size. Ours averages about 65MB for three people for an hour at 128Kbps, mono, 44KHz.
6) If you're just getting a lot of network issues, recording locally is always an option. But that does increase your workload.

it can take a while to get it right. I mean, I think it took us the better part of a year to get it all right, and we still fuck it up in different ways.

In terms of gear, I'm using a dynamic mic, something like a Sennheiser 835 e: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/Dynamic-mi ... 800_004513 Dynamics are really good for this kind of thing, but they're more expensive, and they tend to be XLR mics, not USB. However, unlike condensors, they don't pick up a lot of background noise, and they can take a beating. The mic goes into a XLR - USB breakout box, I forget which one. Most of my recording levels are set there, and I almost never fuck with it.

I've got a windscreen on the mic, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s- ... 1400374.gc and a pop filter http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s- ... 1423935.gc on the mic stand: http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-St ... 1176318.gc

There's a pic of me recording here:

my "desk" is a round table. Really, the most expensive bits are the mic and the breakout box.

For recording, I use WireTap Studio from Ambrosia Software, http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/
For post processing, GarageBand from Apple, and the aforementioned Levelator.

We use Amazon S3 for our storage, we got too popular for the free options we'd been using, and with Amazon, I have better options if things aren't working right. The nice thing with not going youtube is that it lets us use RSS as our primary distribution mechanism. So, we're in the iTunes Music Store in the podcast section. (no really: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ang ... 11866?mt=2)

The actual RSS feed is via Feedburner, who kind of suck, but they're the best option if you want to track that shit.

minor point

AMB is sponsored. That money pays for the gear and all the rest. Had I had to pay for it, i'd be using the gaming headset I already own, and people could suck it. Honestly, a few minor tweaks, and you'll sound fine. The levels and the clipping are your worst enemies at the moment, those are fixable. If you want to spend cash, you can get really good sound for not a LOT of money. Initially, I'd pay attention to the environment. One of the disadvantages of headsets is consistent mic placement can be a bear. It doesn't look like it, but I can see the laptop screen really well without moving my head. That wasn't always the case, and the boom stand was a huge improvement.

If you want any more info, lemme know, I'm happy to share.
To add a bit to what John said (if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm another 1/3rd of the Angry Mac Bastards):

If you're looking to take the first step up from USB headsets, you can't really do better for the money than Blue Microphones. I used the Blue Snowball for about a year. The only issue I ever had with it was that, since it's a condenser mic it tended to be a little "hot" for my recording space. Our regular guest host is using my Snowball now and she sounds fine. If you want to spend more dosh Blue makes several mics at higher price-points. The Yeti is hugely popular in the Mac podcasting scene.

If you want to move up to a professional grade dynamic mic without doing the XLR/USB input box dance that John does I highly recommend the RØDE Podcaster. It's a dynamic mic, but it has the USB DAC built in so you don't have to buy an XLR to USB converter.

Another tip that can help greatly is, if you do go to a standalone mic, invest in a swing-arm or mic floor stand. The desk stands that these mics come with will transmit every little vibration - the sound of typing, touching shit on your desk, or even the noise from a computer's fans, HD, etc. Even a cheap floor stand will make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tips guys. When we started this, I went and bought a cheap USB headset. ~$30. So, I'll look to upgrade before the next podcast. I looked at the levelator site. I'll ask Wooly (she actually does the recording) to get it before the next podcast.

My issue is that I'm using a MacBook Air. Only has USB as an option (yeah, I'm a Mac guy for the last 8 years).
What's really interesting though, is that when we were doing the 'cast, other than the occasional drops, everything sounded fine. Hell, I wasn't even using my headset and all the voices came across just fine.

So, anyway, I'll be upgrading some hardware in the next week and hopefully, with the suggestions both of you have made, the next 'cast will be a big improvement.

Thanks again.

USB is fine as an audio input. Works really well, that's how all our stuff hooks into our macs.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Hey - I wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I think *part* of the problem may have been my own mic. I've got something new I'm trying out next podcast so hopefully that'll help. My desk is also right over my heater vent and my room has an ac unit constantly recirculating air (allergies and crap). I've turned those off this last podcast so hopefully that helped somewhat.

I've saved the advice and see what I can personally do. As we're pretty much all three spread out across the continent, a local recording is pretty much an impossibility.

decius

Post by decius »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
As we're pretty much all three spread out across the continent, a local recording is pretty much an impossibility.
Each of you records locally and the tracks are mixed in post-production. It sounds more complicated than it is and the result is really worth the effort.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
As we're pretty much all three spread out across the continent, a local recording is pretty much an impossibility.
Each of you records locally and the tracks are mixed in post-production. It sounds more complicated than it is and the result is really worth the effort.
Indeed. We're spread out across FL, AZ and MA. Dropbox is a good friend for this stuff.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/1iSdU.jpg

#TheistsCallMeThings

BOY?

misandry!111!!!!!11111

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

welch wrote:
decius wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Indeed. We're spread out across FL, AZ and MA. Dropbox is a good friend for this stuff.
Im in (southern) AZ., Wooly in is Quebec, and Renee is in WA. Bottom line, we're going to implement as many of your technical suggestions as we can in the next two weeks and see how it goes.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1iSdU.jpg

#TheistsCallMeThings

BOY?

misandry!111!!!!!11111

Another Useless POS.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
...(if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm another 1/3rd of the Angry Mac Bastards):
What pattern is your tartan?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Lsuoma wrote:Over 1 million thread views...
I had a look at Alexa the other day. FTB visitor rates over the last 12 months has had a lot of volatility but the trend looks pretty flat. Also the number of page views per visit has been going down as well as the total time spent on the site. This means that their income is probably trending down even with the addition of a gazillion new bloggers. ED must bang his head on the desk and damn the first amendment everytime PZ or the others say something stupid.

SkepticInk has been trending nicely upwards in the short time it has existed and the average time spent by each visitor is double the time spent by visitors on FTB. It does however have a long way to go to match the total number of visitors however.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Outwest wrote:The first line of Xtinas bio as a speaker at the N Texas SecularConvention:
Greta Christina is one of the most widely-read and well-respected bloggers in the atheist blogosphere.
She must've written that herself.
To be fair, every conference I've been involved with let the speakers submit their own bios. On the other hand, most conference speakers aren't the raging narcissists these jackanapes are.
I guess what I'm questioning is "most widely read" and "well-respected". From her chorus? But the rest of the blogosphere?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Oh man ... trolls were my favorite dolls as a little kid, and now they're ruined 4EVER!!111!!!!

::multicolored rage tears::

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

BarnOwl wrote:
Oh man ... trolls were my favorite dolls as a little kid, and now they're ruined 4EVER!!111!!!!

::multicolored rage tears::
Well, they are cute as long as you don't feed them.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Has anyone covered Mother Jen of Blaghaga's return to blogging?
If we can make atheism relevant to racial minorities now, that will result in fewer children being raised in religious households down the line. It’s easier to get people on board now and watch the ripple effect, than wait thirty years and say “Hey, we’ve been ignoring you all this time, but you totally want to join now, right?!” And this doesn’t mean just standing around going “Well, we’re not actively discouraging minorities!” while discussing the History of European Freethinkers for the 39873th time. We need to address relevant issues like skepticism applied to drug laws and incarceration rates, or replicating religious community without the religion, or…well, maybe we should just listen to what they have to say without taking it personally.
We need to make atheism relevant to ethnic minorities.
Therefore we should talk about things that are important to them:

...Applying skepticism to drug laws and incarceration rates! :shock:

Perhaps Jen should take a few more weeks off before she does any more damage (KKKplus?)
Maybe she can think of a way to combine atheism with social justice?

Seriously, she would be able to join a club of fuchsia fanciers and before long she would be suggesting that growing fuchsias is not of interest to marginalised people. Let's grow cannabis instead.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

That one of Ophelia's face posted all over the brutalist architecture cityscape was really creepy.

:shock:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

BarnOwl wrote:That one of Ophelia's face posted all over the brutalist architecture cityscape was really creepy.

That was Pyongyang, by the way.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

FFRF release concerning the holiday banner which was placed in Wilkes-Barre today:

http://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item ... lkes-barre

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jan Steen wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:That one of Ophelia's face posted all over the brutalist architecture cityscape was really creepy.

That was Pyongyang, by the way.
How appropriate! :lol:

codelette

Post by codelette »

Altair wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
What sort of sceptic community discusses the history or European freethinkers all the time? Even if they did why would that preclude the mythical minorities?
Why do these arseholes insist that minorities need encouraging into scepticism by "discussing relevant issues"? It's not a fucking popularity contest! It is what it fucking is! Nobody is going to get all hyped up about scepticism if it doesn't interest them in the first fucking place!
"Oh hey dude have you heard about scepticism? It's really cool! We all get together online and be sceptic about drug laws and incarceration rates so put down the Xbox pad and come and be sceptical!"
"drug laws and incarceration rates" are relevant to minorities?

Her thought process was probably like this: "Those blacks, latinos and the others are so uneducated that they cannot be interested in discussing history and free-thinking. What could they be interested in? Well, all latinos are drug-dealers and mules and all blacks are murderers and rapist, so let's talk about drug laws and incarceration rates and they will come! YAY!"

What a bigoted, racist cunt.
LOL. I was thinking the same.
What would I want to go to a skeptic conference to talk about those topics? This bitch think people like me cannot process science? She might as well said something like " we, white saviors; can apply skepticism to tacos, burritos, knives watermelon and fried chicken". That way she can appeal to the beaners, the spics and the colored peeps.

franc

Post by franc »

Struth wrote:I wish it was possible to create a mirror site like SkepchickWithoutAds.org that automatically scraped the content, removing the adverts etc.
Piece of cake. Just needs a bandwidth and space -

http://www.httrack.com/

I stole the last 2 years of skepchick stripped of crap*. ~640mb. I don't have the resources to make it live - but it is incredibly simple to do and have it continuously update.

* - I know, stripped of all crap would leave nothing. I meant adds and attachments.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Skep tickle wrote:
Isn't it obvious in these scenes that if anyone was taken advantage of, it was Leonard? (The one who wasn't drunk.) Now, he did give consent ("Okay" said brightly, with a surprised overtone) but he apparently expected it to be a resumption of their relationship, and was disappointed that it wasn't.
I thought the same thing when I saw that episode. According to RW's tweets, she doesn't watch the show, and therefore doesn't know the context or the history of the relationship between the characters. Yes I realize we're all talking about fictional characters in a TV sitcom, but that's the context of the current Rebeccapocalypse, which she has spun into blog fodder and page hits as per usual. So it's fair game to use the same sitcom as an analogy or reflection of real life situations, from a different perspective.

My undergrad degrees are from a weenie-nerd science and engineering university, and the sociocultural environment portrayed in the The Big Bang Theory is quite familiar, although there is much more diversity in the student and faculty population at my alma mater. I think the character Leonard is pretty representative of the social and sexual interactions in such an environment, for both men and women ... maybe not for gay/lesbian/bisexual, though, can't really say. Sometimes Leonard is successful in his love life, sometimes he has his heart broken, sometimes sexual interactions are awkward, sometimes he treats women insensitively (never abusively, though, AFAIK), and other times he is the crapped-upon. It seems pretty realistic to me: awkward sexual encounters (in retrospect kind of funny), having your heart broken, breaking other people's hearts, not always being nice to everyone, not always being treated nicely by everyone, being oblivious to interested others, others being oblivious to your interest ... just the basic give-and-take of human interactions, although with the realization that in many other environments, you'd be dismissed or ridiculed simply because of your choice of clothes and lack of professionally-managed grooming and make-up (perhaps some of my students think these things about me now - I haven't changed much at all).

FWIW that's my perspective as an unsophisticated and unrepentant product of nerd culture.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

ERV wrote:I love how she also has this awesome new idea:
replicating religious community without the religion
If only I have been saying this for ages and pumping up groups like OKC Atheists who are doing just that, which has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, and all about making atheism as a whole more inviting (do white Mormons not need help/support/community after deconversion just because theyre white? wat?).

WTF is up with McCreight always having these 'fantastic' ideas that others are already implementing that she never gets around to implementing, but acts like she is the supreme genius who first thought the thought? God she is such an arrogant shit.
I know I have to read more posts, but isn't this the same kind of idea they destroyed de Bottain (or whatever the spelling was) when he proposed some kind of atheist church (IIRC - never really gave two shits over the kerfluffle). Now, to be honest, they have been working on their own religion, so they're halfway there already.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

CONGRATULATIONS on THE PIT for reaching 1,000,000 views. No doubt a lot of those views have led to people being informed about just how corrupt and nasty some part of FreeThoughtBlogs are. Remember folks, ERV/SlymePit was one the first, and for a long time the only, website to stand up to the goliath that was FTB. We've mocked them, we've exposed them as hypocrites and bullies, we've humiliated them, we've torn apart their arguments. The Pit took up the good fight when many in the community were keeping their mouths shut. It's all change now, and increasing parts of the A/S community are hostile to the Baboons. May it continue that way.

Here's to the next million, and then some.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

franc wrote:I stole the last 2 years of skepchick stripped of crap*. ~640mb.
Having that Skepchick junk on your HD is worse than having child porn!!!

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

comslave wrote: Technically, Penny could only be a rape victim because the alchohol reduced her capcity to decide intelligently about sex. You have to think of all women as being "barely legal" regardless of age because even the slightest amount of intoxication removes all their responsiblity for sex acts and places it on the man (his level of intoxication is to never be considered). After one drink, you have to treat them like a 16 year old, and turn them down no matter how much they seem like they want it.
This discussion reminded me of something - has anyone else noticed the resemblance? :)
separated.gif
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

Punker

Post by Punker »

Something i hadn't considered until a few minutes ago: people who drive might have a different definition of "drunk" than someone who doesn't. Rebecca only got her driver's license a few months ago and she's in her 30s (i assume she's very used to hitching rides?).

Too drunk to drive is hardly drunk at all on the spectrum of intoxication. But it's still what some people label "drunk"

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

I had a few drinks last night with an old friend I haven't seen in a while. When I returned I was a bit pissed and a bit horny so did the deed with my ever obliging good lady. Clearly I was in no position to agree to such a thing (even though I instigated it with about 20 minutes of begging).

I feel so abused.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

So, given the latest Twatson pronuncement :
If you have sex w/ someone who is drunk, they are unable to consent & that is rape.
and harking back to "elevatorgate" according to the tennants of the manosphere what we see here :

a). she has hit the wall as far as her maximum sexual attractiveness is concerned and she knows it.
b). "elevatorgate" was her attempt to tell the guys that she was still attractive to the "alpha" males and "beta" males were invited to stop thinking she was now available to the guys who were (and still are) invisible to her.
c). Since she can not slut it up anymore with those guys who were/are visible to her, they must not be allowed to fuck her younger/hotie/tighter competition.

So she has now decided to "settle" and she is prepping in case she gets caught. Where this may backfire on her is that by now, everyone pretty well knows that she is a lush. So her preping may be in vain.

Or it may not, given the unquestioned belief in her properity by some.

Under the tennants of the Manosphere, be prepared for Twatson get drunk, fuck some hapless beta and cry rape, rather than acknowledge she "setteled" for some "creepy" guy who she would never have looked at twice before she hit the wall.

Compare and contrast the wails of the walking prune and her desperate attempts to promote the imaginary threats to her dried up vajayjay.

Or, a certain horse faced wench trying to promote her sexual desirability and at the same time adding to her victim cred, by relating a tale about a hobo having a private wank in public.

YMMV

franc

Post by franc »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
franc wrote:I stole the last 2 years of skepchick stripped of crap*. ~640mb.
Having that Skepchick junk on your HD is worse than having child porn!!!
I know. I feel dirty. But there is reason. I dissected the Prune. I'm working my way through the other loons. Zwans next, then skepchick. May tackle the big baboon himself in the new year.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, Peezee. Sometimes, you're almost adorable in your abject obliviousness: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... hysicists/
It pained me to see that bad biology peddled by Davies and Lineweaver, who tried to argue that cancer was a revived genetic atavism, a kind of throwback to a primeval state...
You know, rather than an astrophysicist’s view, I’d rather have a microbiologist’s view...
It would be nice for these bozos to get some input from people who actually know how cells work, rather than that they continue on with their ignorant assumptions...
Y'know Peez, there were some of us who thought along the same lines as regards a certain blue-haired blob who recently spouted off about something she knew very little about too. Ring any bells?
She dared to point out that a lot of pop and evolutionary psychology is bad science, and as a reward, the witch hunt is in raging progress. We’ve actually got people declaring that she only has a bachelor’s degree in communications, therefore she wasn’t qualified to talk about a field of evolutionary biology.
...sometimes it’s really useful to have outsiders look in and make criticisms and suggestions — it can shake you out of the cozy warm easiness of dogma and get you thinking productively.
...and so on and so forth: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -and-sing/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

franc wrote:I dissected the Prune. I'm working my way through the other loons. Zwans next...
I'm looking forward to that one. I find Zvan to be the most loathsome of the lot. Be interesting to get some insight as to what makes her tick...

franc

Post by franc »

Tigzy wrote:
franc wrote:I dissected the Prune. I'm working my way through the other loons. Zwans next...
I'm looking forward to that one. I find Zvan to be the most loathsome of the lot. Be interesting to get some insight as to what makes her tick...
Oh, Zwan knocks Ophie off her perch in quite a few categories. What is interesting on preliminary scans is comparing the language of Skepchick versus FTB. The former is every bit as noxious, but ever more restrained and insiduous. It's like comparing professional propagandists with soccer hooligans. Crassmass is coming, which means the hordes arrive and I confine myself to my cave to plot evil. Will pull all this apart in the next few weeks.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

AndrewV69 wrote:Under the tennants of the Manosphere, be prepared for Twatson get drunk, fuck some hapless beta and cry rape, rather than acknowledge she "setteled" for some "creepy" guy who she would never have looked at twice before she hit the wall.
Hmm, Im not so sure. I dont think she would actually accuse an identifiable individual. What I do think is possible is that she or someone like her will claim to be raped by Some Guy. Because everyone knows how evil and rapacious Some Guy is. Some Guy can be found on internet forums or even elevators. She among others have been very good at escaping any culpability by choosing their words carefully in this regard. When Some Guy becomes a man with a name, and a camera for example - and more importantly a will to defend his name - we end up close to an actual slander/libel lawsuit. Then look at how the usual scroats sulked off and went back to making mass allegations against men. They go after those with names only when there is no risk to themselves.

I dont deny that there are women who would fit your claim, but those are the kinds of individuals who cannot be deterred from crimes even when facing personal consequences. RW is the type who is well aware of how she will profit from something - I dont think she would refrain from making a false allegation because it is wrong to do such a thing and would harm someone else, she would refrain because it would inconvenience her.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

soldierwhy wrote:I had a few drinks last night with an old friend I haven't seen in a while. When I returned I was a bit pissed and a bit horny so did the deed with my ever obliging good lady. Clearly I was in no position to agree to such a thing (even though I instigated it with about 20 minutes of begging).

I feel so abused.
You fucking traitor.

I have no idea what you're traitoring, but there must be something. Gender? Sexuality? Homocisvirtuoprivilege? I don't know, just fill in the gap yourself.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

franc wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Oh, Zwan knocks Ophie off her perch in quite a few categories. What is interesting on preliminary scans is comparing the language of Skepchick versus FTB. The former is every bit as noxious, but ever more restrained and insiduous. It's like comparing professional propagandists with soccer hooligans. Crassmass is coming, which means the hordes arrive and I confine myself to my cave to plot evil. Will pull all this apart in the next few weeks.
franc: I fucking hate to be this cunt, but...on reading your blog post, I noticed the really annoying "who's" used for a possessive, when it should be "whose". "Dave, WHOSE dick is tiny like an acorn...".

I hate myself and will perform the required flagellations.

sacha

Post by sacha »

okay, Steersman, I'm feeling generous at the moment:
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:But bad karma I think to put anybody on too high a pedestal that we lose sight of their humanity and their clay feet.
You know that game called Don't Give Away Your Power?

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 891#p37854

I complemented welch for being a master player.
sacha wrote:Hitch was ruler of the universe...
That’s either hyperbole or “an irrational response” ….

neither.

That was A: a reference to Hitch's skill in the reaction game, and that he not only always kept his power, but he would take theirs as well.
He could out-play anyone.

and

B:
A joke in reference to your mention of Karma. I was using a god-like reference for his title in mastering the game, and at the same time, deliberately using those words to mock the idea of Karma. Like when sceptics go to some place that is thought by many to be haunted, and the believers say something like "if one touches that vase, they spirits will get angry and you will be their next target" and, of course the second a sceptic is in the house, they immediately touch the vase numerous times to mock the notion that the vase is a direct window to the "spirit world". "ooh, I'm in trouble now! The spirits are going to get me. spooky!"

continued in next comment, as there are more than three quotes to reference...

sacha

Post by sacha »

Steersman wrote: But more specifically on the question of sensitivity and genuflecting:
sacha wrote:
Outwest wrote: Anyway...Slate? They'll publish anyone's rubbish. I've seen articles by PZ Myers in their a couple of times.
Hitch used to write for Slate!
Looks a little sensitive to me, a little bit "aggrieved" at the suggestion that Hitch might have written rubbish.
That was a gentle ribbing done with a smile, a soft punch on the arm. Clearly Outwest was not thinking of Hitchens when he made that comment, as even if one abhors who Hitch was, they could not honestly believe he was a poor writer. not even a mediocre one.
I don't believe in Karma.
And people used to believe that the world was flat and at the center of the universe too. Which, of course, did not change matters much. Likewise with karma – I sort of expect it is a variation on one of Newton’s laws – every action has an equal and opposite reaction; considering that it works so well in cosmology it would seem to be somewhat of a stretch to think that something along that line wouldn't have some relevance to interpersonal relations: actions have consequeces, not all of which can be foreseen.[/quote]

That's must be why so many kind, honourable, and often innocent people who have never so much as said a disparaging word towards anyone, have horrific things happen, that cause them pain and suffering, and so many people who do not give a fuck about anyone but themselves, those who use, abuse, and discard anything that will either give them an advantage, or just for the fun of it, live long, healthy, prosperous easy lives... Or were you referring to karma working in the next life? for fuck's sake.

I'll be sure to tell all those children born into poverty in third world countries, and all of those abused and neglected animals, that if they had just been a little kinder, they may not have had this happen. I'm sure they will understand.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Jen is the last person who should be giving out advice on how to run things in an organization/community/movement/club since she's the kind of person who abandoned the shit group she began (A+) at the first sign of friction. If she's ever allowed any real leadership position in any community the result will be a graveyard of dead brain-farts.

sacha

Post by sacha »

fucked up that quote, sorry:

this was written by Steersman:
}And people used to believe that the world was flat and at the center of the universe too. Which, of course, did not change matters much. Likewise with karma – I sort of expect it is a variation on one of Newton’s laws – every action has an equal and opposite reaction; considering that it works so well in cosmology it would seem to be somewhat of a stretch to think that something along that line wouldn't have some relevance to interpersonal relations: actions have consequeces, not all of which can be foreseen.
and this was me:
That's must be why so many kind, honourable, and often innocent people who have never so much as said a disparaging word towards anyone, have horrific things happen, that cause them pain and suffering, and so many people who do not give a fuck about anyone but themselves, those who use, abuse, and discard anything that will either give them an advantage, or just for the fun of it, live long, healthy, prosperous easy lives... Or were you referring to karma working in the next life? for fuck's sake.

I'll be sure to tell all those children born into poverty in third world countries, and all of those abused and neglected animals, that if they had just been a little kinder, they may not have had this happen. I'm sure they will understand.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

It's obvious that the reason Watson goes on about drunken sex being rape is that everytime she has sex, it would be rape. (Since she can't stop drinking, you see?) It's a ploy. And her willing puppets dance to her tune, as always. Dance, puppets, dance!

:hankey:

I suppose there's no point in mentioning how in that twitter exchange, her mate used "twat" and she didn't even flinch. But we already knew that.

By the way, welch, that was a fucking excellent write-up of Skepchick and their antics! Bravo!

franc

The Skepchick Guide to Sex

Post by franc »

sacha

Post by sacha »

Reap wrote: Karma is defined as a result from a reaction, that's it. Karma is not punishment or retribution but simply an extended expression or consequence of natural acts. There is no such thing as good/bad karma because there is no such thing as good/bad as far as the universe is concerned. People involved in the paranormal used to drive me crazy with the "karma comes back to you tenfold".... bullshit.
Karma is the law of moral causation.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/karma.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma
http://www.skepdic.com/karma.html

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

DownThunder wrote: I dont deny that there are women who would fit your claim, but those are the kinds of individuals who cannot be deterred from crimes even when facing personal consequences. RW is the type who is well aware of how she will profit from something - I dont think she would refrain from making a false allegation because it is wrong to do such a thing and would harm someone else, she would refrain because it would inconvenience her.
Fair enough.

And, before Steers gets on my case, saying the weasel words "I would not be surprised" should give me some plausiable deniability.

However, I think my point stands. If you are a male of any type, Alpha, Beta, Setar, Brownian whatever, being alone with Beckyboo in any capacity without video evidence should be considered hazardous, because she has given clear warning.

And if you go ahead and suck her dick, even though you were wearing beer goggles at the time, I got no sympathy for you.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Pitchguest wrote:It's obvious that the reason Watson goes on about drunken sex being rape is that everytime she has sex, it would be rape. (Since she can't stop drinking, you see?) It's a ploy. And her willing puppets dance to her tune, as always. Dance, puppets, dance!
It would also make her a rapist since she fucks men who have been drinking all night at conferences...but what...for she is REBECCA WATSON who shall not be questioned and is above suspicion. It is impossible for Queen Bee to rape anybody because of teh PATRIARCHY.

Ironic though that most men would have to be drunker than a labotomised skunk to shag Watson. It must surely be rape every time.

sacha

Post by sacha »

John Brown wrote:I'll just leave this here:

You weren’t raped. You’re a whore. Join the club.

http://judgybitch.com/2012/10/22/54/
Rape culture holds men, and only men, responsible for what women do. And thanks, but I prefer to be responsible for my own fucking behaviour.

and the next sentence is:
And when I’m about to do something really stupid, that I will regret the next morning, I rely on my friends to save me FROM MYSELF.
Your friends are not responsible for babysitting you, go back to the first sentence.

otherwise, spot on.

sacha

Post by sacha »

comslave wrote:

I think, given the consequences, that we men are expecting way too much of women if we hold them to any standard of responsibility. We just have to accept they'll cry rape if they are given even the slightest justification, and respond accordingly by taking measures not to be in that situation, such as not drinking with them. Maybe even give them a breathalyzer test or something.

The reality is that there are women out there who would rather you spend years in prison and life on the sex offenders registry than admit they were whores for a night. Even if crying rape is very rare, just one can ruin your life.
welcome to the MRM

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Has anyone covered Mother Jen of Blaghaga's return to blogging?
If we can make atheism relevant to racial minorities now, that will result in fewer children being raised in religious households down the line. It’s easier to get people on board now and watch the ripple effect, than wait thirty years and say “Hey, we’ve been ignoring you all this time, but you totally want to join now, right?!” And this doesn’t mean just standing around going “Well, we’re not actively discouraging minorities!” while discussing the History of European Freethinkers for the 39873th time. We need to address relevant issues like skepticism applied to drug laws and incarceration rates, or replicating religious community without the religion, or…well, maybe we should just listen to what they have to say without taking it personally.
We need to make atheism relevant to ethnic minorities.
Therefore we should talk about things that are important to them:

...Applying skepticism to drug laws and incarceration rates! :shock:

Perhaps Jen should take a few more weeks off before she does any more damage (KKKplus?)
http://i.imgur.com/kjmZM.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:...being alone with Beckyboo in any capacity without video evidence should be considered hazardous, because she has given clear warning.
video "evidence" means nothing when inebriated consent = no consent at all = rape

nor does it work in favour of men when she likes rough sex

a video can easily be interpreted many different ways

better find a better way to prove yourself innocent.

I can't believe I need to explain this to Andrew, of all people.

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:

Rape culture holds men, and only men, responsible for what women do. And thanks, but I prefer to be responsible for my own fucking behaviour.

and the next sentence is:
And when I’m about to do something really stupid, that I will regret the next morning, I rely on my friends to save me FROM MYSELF.
Your friends are not responsible for babysitting you, go back to the first sentence.

otherwise, spot on, and familiar: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 734#p37786

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:okay, Steersman, I'm feeling generous at the moment:
But not overly sentimental, I hope. :-)

Although you and Phil are still looking a little defensive when it comes to “The Hitch” – which was sort of my point and which is somewhat of a problem, at least from a general perspective. As mentioned, I expect he had some very good points and arguments – notably, in passing, the article BarnOwl linked to, his undergoing waterboarding to give some credibility to his arguments about torture as government policy – but I expect he had some that were at least very problematic. And in that latter class I would put his opinions, at least some of them, on religion in general and in particular those implied by his book, “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything”.

But, as that relates to my earlier quote of franc – “Lay off Hitch” – in the context of that defensiveness and to something else on which I had been planning on responding to in any case, James Onen had referenced and elaborated on an earlier comment by Everyman which franc had, in turn, made some interesting if somewhat inconsistent observations and arguments:
franc wrote:
EveryMan wrote:Religion itself is not harmful, people are. And some people are going to continue to be evil regardless of whether or not their are religions around for them to use to excuse their actions. As L. Ron Hubbard proved, if the existing ones aren't evil enough you can always start your own.
John Gray's (not the mars/venus idiot) whole hypothesis is that god is irrelevant - it is the actions of believers that harm.
However, while I’ll agree with franc there about the “actions of believers” even if it is somewhat inconsistent with Hitchens’ position – unless one wants to argue that a religion is comprised of the actions of its believers, I’m not sure that his assertion is correct that Gray’s “whole hypothesis is that god is irrelevant” or that the hypothesis itself is valid or supportable.

And in that latter case – the question of whether “god is irrelevant”, while it is no doubt true that a non-existent entity has to be considered irrelevant and of no effect, that is a little more difficult to justify if we’re talking about abstractions which can have far reaching effects – for example, considering the season, Santa Claus. What people believe to be true or act as if it were true, even in cases where it is plainly not the case, are still determinants of the “actions of those believers” and have to be considered and understood if one is to make any changes in those actions.

Which is sort of the reason why I think that Gray’s hypothesis is anything but that “god is irrelevant”, at least on the basis of this synopsis of his book Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia which, in passing, takes some shots at various “New Atheists”, Hitchens in particular. But while it appears that Gray himself is more sympathetic to religion in general than I think is justified, I also think he is quite correct to argue that religion at least encompasses perspectives and perceptions that have been and are of surpassing value that are worth preserving and promoting. And which will be rather difficult to eradicate as many of them are integral to secular humanism.

But I sort of like to think of the problem as a case of “accentuating the positive, eliminating the negative”. Or, maybe more appropriately, of separating the wheat from the chaff, the latter of which can certainly be rather poisonous. And that is sort of why I think that Hitchens, among others, has missed the boat on that score: he got it half right, but was and is badly wrong on the other half.

However, that still leaves open the question of what constitutes the wheat and what the chaff and how they might be separated, if at all – which reminds me of the facehugger scene in Alien. But one thing that I think that is particularly relevant and of potential value is, for want of a better word, transcendence.

Now while that word carries some unfortunate and problematic if not justified connotations of “woo”, there are other connotations and interpretations and implications to the word that have some solid biology and physics behind them – notably the swarming of locusts and the phenomenon of emergence, a notable example of which is the emergence of consciousness – our minds – out of the behaviour of the hundred billion neurons and thousand trillion synaptic connections in our brains.

Seems to me that only through a close analysis of religion itself and an understanding of where and why it has worked can we hope to ameliorate if not obviate cases where it hasn’t. And in which regard, tarring all of religion with the brush of “poison” tends to be rather problematic to say the least, particularly if that “dogma” is subscribed to without much thought or reflection involved.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

*Yawn*

TL;DR

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

LULZ:

[youtube]0yuFy_qjolU[/youtube]

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

That black guy is not that scary, looks like a decent fellow to me. They really need a Willie Horton type to burn those carbs. Of course, with today's feminist any male will do, he doesn't have to be a minority since all males are rapists.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Punker wrote:Something i hadn't considered until a few minutes ago: people who drive might have a different definition of "drunk" than someone who doesn't. Rebecca only got her driver's license a few months ago and she's in her 30s (i assume she's very used to hitching rides?).

Too drunk to drive is hardly drunk at all on the spectrum of intoxication. But it's still what some people label "drunk"

When guys stop giving you rides is proof you've passed your "sell by" date.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:*Yawn*

TL;DR
Since you seem to be not much interested in the topic or your mind is already made up about it or your attention span is insufficient to wade through my “impenetrable and unnecessarily prolix sludge”, here’s the Coles Notes version, just for you:

Tarring all of religion with the brush of “poison” – as Hitchens has apparently done – tends to be rather problematic to say the least, particularly if that “dogma” is subscribed to without much thought or reflection involved – as seems to be the case with more than a few here, there and about.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

mordacious1 wrote:That black guy is not that scary, looks like a decent fellow to me. They really need a Willie Horton type to burn those carbs. Of course, with today's feminist any male will do, he doesn't have to be a minority since all males are rapists.
I dunno, Horton looks ok to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton_(baseball)

Oh, not that one...

comslave

Post by comslave »

sacha wrote:
comslave wrote:

I think, given the consequences, that we men are expecting way too much of women if we hold them to any standard of responsibility. We just have to accept they'll cry rape if they are given even the slightest justification, and respond accordingly by taking measures not to be in that situation, such as not drinking with them. Maybe even give them a breathalyzer test or something.

The reality is that there are women out there who would rather you spend years in prison and life on the sex offenders registry than admit they were whores for a night. Even if crying rape is very rare, just one can ruin your life.
welcome to the MRM

These days, if you have a penis, and you don't have the extreme urge to slice it off, you're in the MRM by default.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:*Yawn*

TL;DR
Since you seem to be not much interested in the topic or your mind is already made up about it or your attention span is insufficient to wade through my “impenetrable and unnecessarily prolix sludge”, here’s the Coles Notes version, just for you:

Tarring all of religion with the brush of “poison” – as Hitchens has apparently done – tends to be rather problematic to say the least, particularly if that “dogma” is subscribed to without much thought or reflection involved – as seems to be the case with more than a few here, there and about.
Let's say I'm not really interested in duscussing this subject *here*.