Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
rayshul

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by rayshul »

sacha wrote:Sometimes the views seem to be on a spectrum, but it seems that the more intelligent MRAs are nothing like RadFems.
Keep in mind GWW, Wooly, and I, all consider ourselves MRAs.

The views and actions of the fringe do not dictate the core.
I should say that my views of how women and men interact were entirely founded in feminism - being raised feminist - but my views on Men's Rights have a lot of commonalities with the feminism I was raised with. There's other women here who are feminists (equity) who agree with the MRM on many points.

Steersman

Re: WEIT

Post by Steersman »

Git wrote:
Steersman wrote:"Abbie", I think ... unless maybe Jerry is a closet Christian, which I very much doubt, or that he is interested in the architecture of churches, which is a possibility ... :-)
please excuse me old chap, I have been waylaid by the deadly combination of skittles and wwwwwwodka, hence I may not be entirely compis-mentis..
Nothing to excuse .... except maybe my pedantry ...

Cheers!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Steersman wrote:
Git wrote:Also, he and Abbey have a friendship too.
"Abbie", I think ... unless maybe Jerry is a closet Christian, which I very much doubt, or that he is interested in the architecture of churches, which is a possibility ... :-)
Channeling Steffie Svan: OH MAH GAWD ITS ABBIE. THAT FIGURES YOU WOULDNT PAY ATTENTION TO HOW A FEMALE WISHES TO BE ADDRESSED, YOU MISOGYNIST!!!! YOURE WORSE THAN HITLER!

As Greg Laden the stalker found out, Abbie isnt my real name. Its just the name Ive gone by since I was a baby (my real name-- my mom named me after her favorite horse. the horse was still alive when I was a baby. and very expensive. so the horse got dibs on the name, and I got a nickname).

So the first day of every class, the teacher/professor would call attendance by my horse name, and I would have to correct them to 'I actually go by Abbie. A-B-B-I-E.' And then they would still always spell it wrong.

Now, I work in a research community that is extremely international. I get called very creative versions of 'Abbie'. For some reason Chinese folks prefer to call me 'Amy'.

I just dont care.

I just dont get Steffie Stephy Poo-Poos hang up on how her name is spelled.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

Okay, think we derailed this fine thread with Titanic enough. Just to sum it up: there was no direct "women and children first" policy enforced by the crew, perhaps the spirit of the policy was still in place and that's why most of the women and children aboard survived. Or maybe since the ship took so long to sink, the men had time to think and decide (on the most part) it was better for the children and women to survive, rather than themselves and so they gave up their seats.

It is also interesting that when there were quick shipwrecks, where the ships sink almost immediately (unlike the Titanic which took hours to sink) it was a free for all for survival. Everyone for themselves; and women didn't fare so well. Darwinism at its best and worst, I suppose.

Git

Post by Git »

ERV wrote:I just dont care.

I'm going to be smited by Ceiling Cat aren't I?

Or his holy prophet Arnie...

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

You said it, Abbee.

Ms. Ogynist

Post by Ms. Ogynist »

ERV wrote:As Greg Laden the stalker found out, Abbie isnt my real name. Its just the name Ive gone by since I was a baby (my real name-- my mom named me after her favorite horse.
Trigger?

:!:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Git wrote:
Darren wrote:
jennyfuckoff.png
source
Speaking as someone who suffers from chronic depression (and who has been unable to work for two years because of it) - learn to manageyourcondition, stop internalising everything and get off the fucking internet long before it comes to that.

Two words: walk away. Learn them, mofo!

And no, I don't have sympathy, as frankly, if you have chronic depression, you should be investing what emotional energy you have in managing it, not going on wild arse crusades on t'internet. WALK AWAY.
Years ago I posted regularly to several forums, spending hours getting in long conversations, doing research for the posts, etc. And getting pretty riled up. I remember spending hours at work thinking of what I was going to say, and when it got to the point that I was basically getting physically ill when I was going to log in - dreading the inevitable argument...I stopped. Cold turkey for a while. Even now, I tend to watch myself, and while I'm better adjusted and able to prioritize, and for the most part think twice before posting "attacks" - I've written long posts or comments then deleted them after a few minutes thought as "not being worth it". Even after going through that, I can't see how anybody would willingly do that, unless their real life was so pitiful or pathetic that even the aggravation was better. Unless they live for it - they are addicted to the pain, anger, or the feeling of being a victim?

Bah, who knows, and really, who cares. She'll be a victim no matter if everyone here (and elsewhere) was saying "good for you, take care of yourself" - I think she'd see that as being patronizing, or having us mansplain to her, or whatever.

Drama Llamas!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Ms. Ogynist wrote:
ERV wrote:As Greg Laden the stalker found out, Abbie isnt my real name. Its just the name Ive gone by since I was a baby (my real name-- my mom named me after her favorite horse.
Trigger?

:!:
Mr Ed?

Git

Post by Git »

Bob. Short for Kate?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ERV wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Git wrote:Also, he and Abbey have a friendship too.
"Abbie", I think ... unless maybe Jerry is a closet Christian, which I very much doubt, or that he is interested in the architecture of churches, which is a possibility ... :-)
Channeling Steffie Svan: OH MAH GAWD ITS ABBIE. THAT FIGURES YOU WOULDNT PAY ATTENTION TO HOW A FEMALE WISHES TO BE ADDRESSED, YOU MISOGYNIST!!!! YOURE WORSE THAN HITLER!

As Greg Laden the stalker found out, Abbie isnt my real name. Its just the name Ive gone by since I was a baby (my real name-- my mom named me after her favorite horse. the horse was still alive when I was a baby. and very expensive. so the horse got dibs on the name, and I got a nickname).

So the first day of every class, the teacher/professor would call attendance by my horse name, and I would have to correct them to 'I actually go by Abbie. A-B-B-I-E.' And then they would still always spell it wrong.

Now, I work in a research community that is extremely international. I get called very creative versions of 'Abbie'. For some reason Chinese folks prefer to call me 'Amy'.

I just dont care.

Yes, there seems to be two – and only two – types of people: those who make a great to-do out of their names and those who don’t – stiff upper-lip and all that, I think – the former being people who apparently wouldn’t say “shit” if their mouths were full of it – as my sainted mother [Monica – I jest] used to say ...

I think I generally fall into the latter group: call me anything you want but don’t call me late for supper .... Got myself into a bit of trouble with that when I was taking an adult-education class. I go by my second name because my first was my father’s as well so when the teacher called me by my first from the printed list I responded to that but he objected, reasonably, when he noted that my classmates were addressing me by my second – a lesson in the importance of consistency ...

Though to be fair, one might reasonably argue that you are in a somewhat enviable position of not going by your real name in the on-line community and are shielded from various depredations of it. Not that it is likely that you would be much influenced by it. Reminds me of being taunted in school with various permutations of my last name – ignoring the bullies seems to be the best defense as a response is what they’re looking for and if they don’t get one they’ll go and pick on someone else ....

But interesting psychology associated with names, some similarities with totemism and the like ....

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

And now for something related to the baboons. Note their addiction to certain types of words, and their aversion to others? Well Steve Pinker has some answers.

[youtube]1BcdY_wSklo[/youtube]
[youtube]yyNmGHpL11Q[/youtube]

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:Am I doing this right?
Aye, and I think we should save it here also.
amidoingthisright.png
(245.3 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

Post by Guest »

ERV wrote: Now, I work in a research community that is extremely international. I get called very creative versions of 'Abbie'. For some reason Chinese folks prefer to call me 'Amy'.

I just dont care.

Love it! Reminds me of my brother and a guy he worked for once. For some reason the guy had a problem with my brother's first name, "Myles", and started calling him "Mel". My brother thought this was pretty amusing and just started referring to him as "Reese" when the guy's name was "Ross". Neither one of them gave a shit.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

To prefacethis comment, I must note that I have not followed alll the of the last 60 or so posts. Dammit, you people are just to verbose.

!!!?!!!

The Pelagic Argosy (great name, by the way) said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 600#p13085):
It seems to me that it is moot to say that something that is incapable of any beliefs is capable of disbelief.
I do not disagree with that, but my point is, does a lack of knowledge about X, Y, Z, which must include a lack of belief in X, Y, Z, require a concsious, active, and cognitely process that, for lack of a better word, creates the disbelief?

Or, does the lack of knowledge of X, Y, Z, include a lack of belief?

Perhaps I am not stating ths well.

JackRayner said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 600#p13087):
Would you say that creatures like "dogs, cats, and spiders" are atheists?
No, I would not. but I am not at all clear on the relevance of that question.

Again, perhaps I am not asking the right qestion, or maybe I am not phrasing it properly, to wit:

If one does not have knowledge of something, in this instance theism, does that lack of knowledge equal, or equate, a lack of disbelief in that "thing".

What I mean is, do we have ... and I guess I may be falling into philosophy land here -- I don't know ... do we have to be aware of something to not believe in it? Or, alternatively, is a lack of awareness of something equal to a lack of belief in something?

Look at it this way: To believe in something (an actve, concsoius phenomena), requires knowledge of that "something". Yes? So, does a lack of belief in that something require the same awareness?

Yes, yes, yes, I know, I know, I know, I am being pedantic, and boring (as JCW would say), but it is an honest question.

ERV (our dear, dear Abbie) said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 600#p13093):
Those amoebas do not live in drinking water, which goes through extensive purification protocols (at least in the US, well, most parts of the US). Those amoebas live in fresh-water, usually lakes and other more 'stagnant' water, usually after a bit of extremely warm weather. But what do us stupid scientists know?
One of the many things that I love about Abbie (and yes, I am a deeply, deeply, foul and disgusting male that thinks she is not only very smart and highly educated, but also really attractive -- SWOON.

Anyway....

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Wow. That turned out a bit large. Here's quick redo, if anyone prefers;

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... fPLUS2.png

JAB

Post by JAB »

John Greg wrote: Or, does the lack of knowledge of X, Y, Z, include a lack of belief?

Perhaps I am not stating ths well.

JackRayner said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 600#p13087):
Would you say that creatures like "dogs, cats, and spiders" are atheists?
No, I would not. but I am not at all clear on the relevance of that question.

Again, perhaps I am not asking the right qestion, or maybe I am not phrasing it properly, to wit:

If one does not have knowledge of something, in this instance theism, does that lack of knowledge equal, or equate, a lack of disbelief in that "thing".

What I mean is, do we have ... and I guess I may be falling into philosophy land here -- I don't know ... do we have to be aware of something to not believe in it? Or, alternatively, is a lack of awareness of something equal to a lack of belief in something?

Look at it this way: To believe in something (an actve, concsoius phenomena), requires knowledge of that "something". Yes? So, does a lack of belief in that something require the same awareness?
Maybe it's self awareness that's necessary. I guess my definition would be someone who, when asked if they believed in any gods, would answer "no" if answering truthfully. Or maybe it's a language thing.

So rocks don't count as atheists, nor do babies or spiders. If we ever meet intelligences out there, they may be selfaware enough to make sense enough of the question to give an answer, once we can communicate.

There are lots of gods I know nothing about that I don't believe in. But I have to be capable of believing in something to say I don't. Does that make sense?

JAB

Post by JAB »

JackRayner wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I don't think they understand venn diagrams very well. Supposedly anyone in any of those evil groups is their enemy ... you wouldn't have to be a part of all those groups. A or B or C, not A and B and C.

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

JAB wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
I don't think they understand venn diagrams very well. Supposedly anyone in any of those evil groups is their enemy ... you wouldn't have to be a part of all those groups. A or B or C, not A and B and C.
That's not really surprising though, is it?

All you "chill girls" here are apparently persona grata by A+ standards. So go ahead and roam free!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JAB wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Exactly. So some sociopaths are not enemies of Atheism-Plus; possibly those who have found a home therein ...

Once Jennifer McCreight is finished with that Logic for Dummies book that WoolyBumblebee gifted her with she might pass it around, even do a course on it for the logic-challenged in A+ ....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

No more horse names? I at least expected "Sarah Jessica Parker"

Or "Rebecca"

(yeah, I went there) lol

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JAB wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Maybe I should have specified, but I'm actually the one that created that little venn diagram as a response to the assertion that most of the resistance to A+Theism is from sociopathic Libertarians. It just felt a little empty without Chill Girls® and Misogynists©. :?

Adding those last two is what caused that intersection to fail. :doh:

Zhu Wuneng

Post by Zhu Wuneng »

I'm a total pinko, I find being tagged as a lib mildly irritating.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

StueNever wrote:Ahh I think this is what you were looking for, MKG.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... -myth.html
Yep!
That was it.
Ta.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

So, uh, yeah. Don't be blaming that venn on the baboons. I'll be taking my flogging now. :D

Darren

Post by Darren »

JAB wrote:I don't think they understand venn diagrams very well. Supposedly anyone in any of those evil groups is their enemy ... you wouldn't have to be a part of all those groups. A or B or C, not A and B and C.
What do you have against socipathic libertarian misogynistic chill-girls?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I am sitting by myself in my apartment, midnight, Saturday night, totally sober, literally cracking up/LOLing at this account: Y U NO SKEPTIC

This is me:
[youtube]y62iU7PgQ2U[/youtube]

Zhu Wuneng

Post by Zhu Wuneng »

Darren wrote:
JAB wrote:I don't think they understand venn diagrams very well. Supposedly anyone in any of those evil groups is their enemy ... you wouldn't have to be a part of all those groups. A or B or C, not A and B and C.
What do you have against socipathic libertarian misogynistic chill-girls?
They get all hot and bothered by the rape scene in The Fountainhead?

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

JackRayner wrote:So, uh, yeah. Don't be blaming that venn on the baboons. I'll be taking my flogging now. :D
I'm sure you understand this already.

But the Venn diagram doesn't make sense because sociopaths, libertarians, misogynists and chill-girls are already enemies of A+, so the middle of the diagram where all the circles intersect should be by definition absolute evil: the thing the A plussers fear and hate most; their worst nightmare. Of course, by that I mean Victor Ivanoff.

Evan

Post by Evan »

Git wrote:
Darren wrote:
jennyfuckoff.png
source
Speaking as someone who suffers from chronic depression (and who has been unable to work for two years because of it) - learn to manageyourcondition, stop internalising everything and get off the fucking internet long before it comes to that.

Two words: walk away. Learn them, mofo!

And no, I don't have sympathy, as frankly, if you have chronic depression, you should be investing what emotional energy you have in managing it, not going on wild arse crusades on t'internet. WALK AWAY.
I hope that my peers don't buy Jen any alcoholic beverages.

Depression Often Goes Hand-in-Hand With Alcohol Use

Instead of going out on the town with Jen McCreight, I opted for a local skeptics meeting with my partner this evening. Yes, it is primarily older, white, heterosexual men, along with some older, white, heterosexual women, but I enjoy talking with others there, plus I met my partner (fortunately a non-plusser lady of color) at this meetup 16 months ago. While I expect that most of the group is progressive, I doubt that most have heard of the concept of Atheism+. Our meetup organizer mentioned Jen's talk for tomorrow, but that was the only time I heard her name mentioned tonight. Frankly, her local appearance this weekend does not seem to be that significant to those 35 freethinkers with whom I spent time tonight.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JackRayner wrote:So, uh, yeah. Don't be blaming that venn on the baboons. I'll be taking my flogging now. :D
Oops! :oops:

Zhu Wuneng

Post by Zhu Wuneng »

And oh yeah, as per Jen's "depression": If you have serious emotional issues, stay out of any and all movements until you've got them somewhat under control. Like when Jen mentioned last year about the woman freaking out and running sobbing to the bathroom over the lame "weaker sex" joke. If anything like that causes you to flee sobbing, you have some serious problems that should really come before atheism/skepticism/feminism/anything socio-political.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ERV wrote:I am sitting by myself in my apartment, midnight, Saturday night, totally sober, literally cracking up/LOLing at this account: Y U NO SKEPTIC ....
More than a little bit of truth in those Y U NO SKEPTIC tweets – quite cogent observations ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:And now for something related to the baboons. Note their addiction to certain types of words, and their aversion to others? Well Steve Pinker has some answers.

[Pinker videos]
Great videos from Pinker – thanks.

Interesting perspectives too – hadn’t realized that it was a fairly well-studied topic. I had Googled it sometime before when I was looking for some background and didn’t find much ...

Interesting that one of the mechanisms described under the Abusive Swearing heading was “Advise [people] to engage in undignified activities” [4:16] which, of course describes the Pharyngulites’ frequent reference to porcupines to a T .... although I note PZ has eventually seen the light and that that is now beyond the pale ...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:I am sitting by myself in my apartment, midnight, Saturday night, totally sober, literally cracking up/LOLing at this account: Y U NO SKEPTIC

This is me:
[youtube]
Ahahahaha. Somewhat like me, but a much lower pitch. Sat night sober is a waste.

In other news: I am actually pretty excited, as it is more fuel for some of my long held suspicions.
Across the sea of grass: how Northern Europeans got to be ~10% Northeast Asian
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... ast-asian/

See here also:
http://dienekes.blogspot.ca/2012/08/pal ... -been.html

I am going to celebrate by inviting the baboons to
kiss the cunt of a cow
I love you guys but I am going to be neglecting you for the next few days. [h/t Steve Pinker]

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

sacha wrote:If you were part of a a carbon-copy clique - I'm better than everyone else - I demand you to cater to my every whim - "it's all about meee chick, then you deserve a bloody tonne of respect for turning out the way you did.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm still horrifically spoilt. Where my "WTF" reaction kicks in is where these SJW bloggers claim that they're going to help poor little disadvantaged me because of all of the sads I get as an UNPRIVILEGED PERSON. I always liked this bit from Hitch-22:
An old joke has an Oxford professor meeting an American former graduate student and asking him what he's working on these days. 'My thesis is on the survival of the class system in the United States.' 'Oh really, that's interesting: one didn't think there was a class system in the United States.' 'Nobody does. That's how it survives.'
I agree with people who say you should get off the internet if it's causing you stress or you are at risk of being triggered. Either that, or go to GENUINELY SAFE SPACES - just check your email or contact friends directly.

franc

Post by franc »

Badger3k wrote:Years ago I posted regularly to several forums, spending hours getting in long conversations, doing research for the posts, etc. And getting pretty riled up. I remember spending hours at work thinking of what I was going to say, and when it got to the point that I was basically getting physically ill when I was going to log in - dreading the inevitable argument...I stopped. Cold turkey for a while.
You know what the secret is to not let your mind slip away into unpleasant places? Don't write response. Write comedy. You'll find your points penetrate twice as deeply without really trying.

franc

Post by franc »

Sick of typing responses to this. Now, just one handy image -

http://i.imgur.com/gGKCA.jpg

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Post by Guest »

Justicar on weak women and their strong men.

[youtube]3bG2CJL8muE[/youtube]

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Oh. Yeah! That's why I quit drinking for a while! It's been so long that I forgot why. :doh:

I've been fighting PTSD fueled depression since my deployment. It's been about 7 years now. Completely cutting alcohol out of my...er, diet [?] is what my doc recommended, back when it had gotten really bad, and I managed to keep it up for about 3 years. (A full one of those while living in student housing with an alcoholic roommate.)

A few "anniversary dates" are usually all that bring me back down now...

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Very interested in this chill girl thing, where women who disagree with A+ are only doing it for male attention.

Oh dear the patriarchy.

xjustos2

Post by xjustos2 »

you can thank RANDI

which WORLD-VIEW will not exist, sh*thead?

5000 whining atheists vs the Great Prophet

how the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement

http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussi ... bquake-911

one applicant right here...

get the POINT, Randi....

for lies on top of lies

do you think you can threaten my right to FREE SPEECH?

what if I told you that I am not who you think I am….

Not Dennis Markuze - but a FAN!

you're not the center of the universe!

a dishonest liar

WHINE WHINE WHINE

BEST CLIPS ON ATHEIST:

- JUST A TINY SMIDGEN OF A GAP!

we don't care about the atheist, either!

-------

BRING IT ON!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

DM/DM fan:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fv-vf/p ... l#cybstalk

If you're a "fan", you'll get him into trouble (is on parole). If you're DM, be very careful about what/where you post.

Trust me, this is a friendly advice.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Zhu Wuneng wrote:And oh yeah, as per Jen's "depression": If you have serious emotional issues, stay out of any and all movements until you've got them somewhat under control. Like when Jen mentioned last year about the woman freaking out and running sobbing to the bathroom over the lame "weaker sex" joke. If anything like that causes you to flee sobbing, you have some serious problems that should really come before atheism/skepticism/feminism/anything socio-political.
Seriously. I think they're treating their "victims" terribly and it really shows in the behaviour of women in A+.

What they've done is create an environment where women get attention and make money when they cry (no matter how trivial the reason), when they are "offended", when they display troll comments. They're also making it so (as many other people have pointed out) these women start seeing offence in all kinds of crazy-ass places, and their reactions to them are more and more overblown and hysterical.

So it's kind of a weird fucking environment where if you scream longest about anything, and you just keep screaming... = PROFIT.

xjustos2

Post by xjustos2 »

now we wish to talk about the symbols in the crucifixion video

[youtube]wHs0vM3gRTA[/youtube]

on the TIMELINE

0 min 33 sec - Randi in the RED SHIRT - signifying the *bloody deed* that is about to happen

1min 18 sec - Banachek talks about respect for the claimant and then they mock "these kind" of people in the final part

3 min 20 sec - the test of the power bracelet that increases a person's energy and balance. Notice our challenge is all about POWER & BALANCE, proving the existence of a HIGHER POWER

5 min 15 sec TEST BEGINS. Skeptics one by one stand in CRUCIFIXION POSE

1 hr 10 min 21 sec Test is ended in failure

1 hr 10 min 30 sec request is made to make change in the PROTOCOL

1 hr 10 min 51 sec Applause is made by all those who wanted him to fail from the very beginning

1 hr 25 min 39 sec Now they talk about the Nightline clip that was filmed in Manhattan, also the scene of the 9/11 event.

1hr 28 min 42 sec - They talk about make-shift tests. They think that because no one can win the prize that psychic phenomena does not exist.

1 hr 29 min 45 sec Banachek says "the majority of *these* people.'" A contemptuous reference the occurs repeatedly.

1 hr 31 min 53 sec The reference to envelopes. Remember the 911 in Angel's envelope!

1 hr 37 min 11 sec Swiss says he is not worried about a paranormal event happening. Little does he know what is actually taking place.

1 hr 39 min 50 sec The mocking of SPIRITS!

1 hr 40 min 27 sec Reference made to the TERROR of witnessing a supernatural event, i.e, the blood leaving the face.

1 hr 41 min 15 sec Reference to "these people."

1 hr 41 min 40 sec Belief in the supernatural is claimed to be a psychological defence mechanism to cope with reality. Swiss talks about how desperate the psychics become when debunked. Little does he know what is happening to the skeptics!

1 hr 42 min 11 sec WHEN PROPHECY SUCCEEDS! KABOOM

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

rayshul wrote:Very interested in this chill girl thing, where women who disagree with A+ are only doing it for male attention.

Oh dear the patriarchy.
Yes, because of course there can be no other reason to disagree with A+, AMIRITE???

gooby

Post by gooby »

Steersman wrote:Although that is not to say that the principle cannot be inappropriately or erroneously applied. In the Titanic case, one might reasonably argue that a categorical statement to the effect of “women and children first” ignores the reason for the statement in the first place – that the future of the species very much depends on the youth and on the ability of women to bear and raise them.
I am for transhumanism and against any unnecessary further propagation of the human species.

In any case, not only will there be enough "women and children" left over on this planet if a hypothetical Titanic goes down in the near future, there will be too Goddamn many.

cunt

Post by cunt »

rayshul wrote:Very interested in this chill girl thing, where women who disagree with A+ are only doing it for male attention.

Oh dear the patriarchy.
Even Greta Christina doesn't like it (Actually she just doesn't like it when people use it against her).

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=677

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

BarnOwl wrote:

Oh dear the patriarchy.
Yes, because of course there can be no other reason to disagree with A+, AMIRITE???
Get it right!
Not "A+". That is falling into their redefinition trap.
A+Theism every time!
Copy'n'Paste it today.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

cunt wrote:

Oh dear the patriarchy.
Even Greta Christina doesn't like it (Actually she just doesn't like it when people use it against her).

Nice theme of "I was once in that group of women, but now Im with you awesome women, those bitches are like totally skanky and smelly"

Average mental age in that thread is in the teens.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

DownThunder wrote:Average mental age in that thread is in the teens.
Yep.
Tenteens, Elebenteens.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Git wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, ok, Parisians...
My ex-wife used to (and recently moved back!) live in Paris. My small fuzzy men are also moving back there soon (I will miss them, but heh, that whole custody thing, you know). Granted, I speak more French than she does (she worked/works in an English-language company), but Parisians were always, like Londoners, rude sods.
Oi!

I moved to London from the north and I'm not a city person by upbringing, and although I understand that dwellers in large cities may have reasons to be, or to appear, less friendly than I was used to, I never found Londoners particularly rude (of course, there are rude cunts everywhere). Paris, on the other hand, I found to be on a completely different level of rudeness—perhaps that is because I'm English, but I know several French people who agree, in once case stridently: she moved to London to get away from the buggers.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

DownThunder wrote:
cunt wrote:

Oh dear the patriarchy.

Nice theme of "I was once in that group of women, but now Im with you awesome women, those bitches are like totally skanky and smelly"

Average mental age in that thread is in the teens.
Just had a quick look at that thread. They describe Chill Girls as somebody who is "a chill girl to hang out with" and lots of them claim to be "recovering Chill Girls".
Perhaps it's just me, but I can't imagine a universe where Jadehawk and the other whiny, boring drones were ever "chill girls to hang out with" before their recovery. I picture them sitting alone in their bedrooms complaining to their Happy Armies about THOSE GIRLS that the guys think are "chill girls to hang out with" and how one day they will have their revenge.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

AndrewV69 wrote:And now for something related to the baboons. Note their addiction to certain types of words, and their aversion to others? Well Steve Pinker has some answers.

[youtube]
[youtube]
Kiss the cunt of a cow!

Not directed at you, Andrew. I'm merely quoting a piece of 16th c. invective that has sadly fallen out of use. Beats the hell out of "My host of the holy sacrement of the chalice of Christ" in French.

Great videos.

JAB

Post by JAB »

franc wrote:Sick of typing responses to this. Now, just one handy image -

Ummm... I resemble that pic too much, I fear.

In bird news... my silly bird is right now building a nest on top of my clock to, once again lay unfertilized eggs. She keeps trying.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Nice post at http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=5757
I think a rule of thumb should be that some people are very good at persuading using mockery, satire and so on; but that requires skill that most of us do not have. Most of us should err on the side of trying our best to respond without namecalling and putting emotions before justification – even if a view is horribly wrong. This is difficult and, probably, most of us have failed often at this: due to knee-jerk reactions, being pushed too far, touching a particularly sensitive topic, and so on. Perhaps this gets reinforced when our anger and animosity drives the offender away. But even here, this is probably not a good thing because, as Mill points out, there are greater concerns than getting a kick out of mocking someone to silence: there is the worry that such an attitude helps foster in-group tribalism, non-engagement with alternative ideas and, indeed, prevents debate from occurring since any alternate ideas could be viewed as only stemming from “bad” people.

Slither

Post by Slither »

Zhu Wuneng wrote: Like when Jen mentioned last year about the woman freaking out and running sobbing to the bathroom over the lame "weaker sex" joke. If anything like that causes you to flee sobbing, you have some serious problems that should really come before atheism/skepticism/feminism/anything socio-political.
Ah, yes, the "how dare you call women female" incident. There's a nice post, going over the actual video of this incident, which is old but I don't think it has been posted here before: http://johannthecabbie.blogspot.com/201 ... ogize.html

franc

Post by franc »

JAB wrote:
franc wrote:Sick of typing responses to this. Now, just one handy image -

Ummm... I resemble that pic too much, I fear.
Completely accidental I assure you.