Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by AndrewV69 »

Meanwhile, over at AVFM:

http://www.avoiceformen.com/men/fathers ... -deadbeat/
Skeptic in reply to Tim Legere

Yep, men are the new niggas.

Welcome Doc.
Good to have you on board.
(wonders what cromunist would make of that?)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Hot shit...

[img]
Is that what is called a "brown floater"?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

What about a creepy 70s popstar approaching young schoolgirls?
Alvin Stardust looks a bit like Gary Glitter in that clip. Wasn't one of his hit singles called (give) (My Cock-A-Chew) or something similar?

:D

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

AndrewV69 wrote:

[img]
Lmao. Wonder how someone doesn't catch that shit before uploading a picture. (See what I did there?)

Darren

Post by Darren »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

[img]
Lmao. Wonder how someone doesn't catch that shit before uploading a picture. (See what I did there?)
Call me a prude, but I wouldn't upload a self-portait taken in the shitter full stop... floater or not.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Darren wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

[img]
Call me a prude, but I wouldn't upload a self-portait taken in the shitter full stop... floater or not.
Yeah, there's always that...

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Been away from the Pit the last 3 pages or so (despite all my privilege I still have to work to eat and avoid living on the street, where I'm now told I'd have to ask for consent before busting a nut). So apologies if this one was already posted, 'cause I didn't catch it as I was skimming through the thread.

Podcast with 2 anti A+ atheists arguing with 1 pro A+ atheist.

[youtube]LUSnvZIRmGw[/youtube]

[youtube]9fLQMF-F0iU[/youtube]

[youtube]y9Z_HlU0EPU[/youtube]

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Mykeru wrote:We've got two freshly coined Slyme terms today

S/h/it (she/he/it) - the gender-neutral pronoun for baboons.

Knowsplaining - When someone shows their privilege by actually knowing something and fails to check that privileged.

And now...

Matt Dillahunty: Seriously, What the Fuck is Wrong with this Guy?

[youtube]9YUvmvcC-nk[/youtube]

Fuck this guy
Another two-wheeler here, I am primarily a motorcyclist however. I avoid riding with traffic on the bicycle, having 170hp available at your right wrist is a valuable tool at the right time. Sorry to hear about your multiple SMIDSY's as we call them in Australia (Sorry mate, I didnt see you.)

Its a bit confusing at the beginning - are you legally obliged to ride virtually in the middle of a major arterial road? As soon as I saw that my spidey senses were triggering hardcore.

Ive written previously about how I find motorcycling communities to be polar opposites of feminist communities in terms of personal responsibility. There is a strong hostility in australia towards motorcyclists, from generally stupid members of the public, to police and government. We experience real victim blaming where the police will say a drivers culpability in running us down is negated by what clothes we wear, and even the fact that we ride at all. Ive experienced the dark psychology and lack of empathy of some drivers when a motorcyclist is just a faceless human-shaped bag of clothing.

Even then, I find motorcyclists will generally take all the responsibility upon themselves for their own safety, which is good but it swings too far and Ive had heated exchanges will some riders who dont separate the idea of being personally responsible while drivers are held legally responsible fully for their breaches of their road obligations.

Contrast that against your experiences with feminist forums. Ha.

Im just enjoying the strange mental image of the A+ forum all commuting through a city on two wheels.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

DownThunder wrote:Another two-wheeler here, I am primarily a motorcyclist however.
I'm with you, DT. Although my disabilities prevent me from riding and I can't afford a trike. Here's a couple pics of me and one of my old bikes:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Does anybody know whether Greta Christina has checked her privilege or not?

Because she:

a) Is a white woman living in the affulent West, hence in a privileged position to receive treatment for her illness.
b) Is a Middle Class white woman who had the potential to put away funds in case of an illness.
c) Is a blog owner, so is in the privileged position of being able to raise funds easily via donations.
d) Is in close reach of Middle Class and affulent potential donors via her blog.
e) Is privileged because Western medicine and technology means any illness is likely spotted early on.

Since Greta and her fellow Baboons are so keen on people checking their privilege, I presume they have been mentioning how privileged she is, and how she should be "checking it"???

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Does anybody know whether Greta Christina has checked her privilege or not?

Because she:

a) Is a white woman living in the affulent West, hence in a privileged position to receive treatment for her illness.
b) Is a Middle Class white woman who had the potential to put away funds in case of an illness.
c) Is a blog owner, so is in the privileged position of being able to raise funds easily via donations.
d) Is in close reach of Middle Class and affulent potential donors via her blog.
e) Is privileged because Western medicine and technology means any illness is likely spotted early on.

Since Greta and her fellow Baboons are so keen on people checking their privilege, I presume they have been mentioning how privileged she is, and how she should be "checking it"???
a) Check!
b) Check!
c) Check!
d) Check!
e) Check!

Happy now?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Al, you are so cool it is no wonder the Baboons hate you.

:auto-sportbike:

franc

Post by franc »

welch wrote:
JackRayner wrote:Seriously, what the fucking fuck is wrong with these people?! This level of stupidity is offensive! :lol:
It would take a teamof psychologists working in shifts without surcease for decades to figure out what's wrong with them. I just punt, and go with "some people are dumbasses."
Keep repeating this. Psyches may have a bottomless pit of neuroses to vivisect but, ultimately, they will probably fail to arrive at any sensible conclusions. Nietzsche, OTOH, had all this shit nailed over a century ago, way, way before what we now know as identity politics was even a germ of an idea.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Luosma, Y U TURN OFF SARCASM DETECTOR?

8-)

ReneeHendricks

Re: Ooh, I'm a relationship anarchist!

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Rystefn wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Um, because it's *better* that he isn't honest and upfront? I don't get your particular hangup with this.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've got him figured out now. You notice how he's arguing against the exaggerated boogeyman with only a passing resemblance to me he's concocted in his head? How he pretends "That's not BDSM, stop pretending it is" is the same statement as "I hate BDSM amateurs, because I'm so hardcore"? How he acts like "in that moment, you are the farthest thing from my mind" is the same as "I don't ever care about anyone's feelings under any circumstances"? Clearly, there's a fundamental disconnect from reality here.

At first, I thought all the garbage he was spewing was based in anger. Anger has a way of fucking with your perceptions, see. That's why I asked if maybe I'd fucked his girlfriend once... but the more I see, the more I think he's not angry. Not anymore, anyway. Angry people don't pretend to laugh. No, what we're seeing is the vomiting forth of a lifetime of bitterness and self-loathing finally given an external target. This is a person who's been cheated on. Lots.

Maybe most of the people he's been with cheated on him, or maybe it's just one person he's been carrying a torch for who cheats on him every time they get back together. One way or another, it just keeps happening. Maybe it happened so much he's completely given up, resigning himself to a life of loneliness just to escape the pain of it happening again. Maybe he just keeps trying, and his girlfriend is in someone else's bed right this moment.

So he's been sitting around, wondering what it is about him that makes it keep happening, when suddenly, he sees it. Here's a person telling the world "yes, I do this, and no, I don't care if you cry yourself to sleep at night over it." A person openly saying "that's your problem, not mine." A person who just came out and said "if she's in my bed instead of yours, maybe that's because you're a useless piece of shit." In short, the same things that bastard little voice inside his head has been telling him. So he lashes out. He pretends he's making his opponent into an object of ridicule, and tries very hard not to notice that no one is laughing.

It would be sad if it wasn't so funny.
Here's my input. If you put out there you aren't a monogamous person and you are open and honest about this, then what is the fucking hangup? If you've had someone cheat on you in the middle of what you thought was a monogamous relationship, then that's something you need to resolve either on your own or with the person who obviously cheated. Otherwise, move the fuck off the issue, realize that not everyone has the same hangups and issues as you have, and lead your monogamous life without putting your ignorant nose into the lives of those who may not have the same mindset or hangups you do. End.of.fucking.story,

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Because I'm a big promoter of my Middle Gal's art and because she really did a bang-on job with interpreting "ElevatorGate", I submit this to you all:

http://cutemooshi.com/wp-content/upload ... Terror.png

windy

Post by windy »

gooby wrote: As far as EP and the brain are concerned:

http://reference.kfupm.edu.sa/content/i ... _73044.pdf
... (a) these gross architectural biases do not contain the coding power required for something as detailed and specific as grammatical knowledge, and (b) the rules of growth at this level appear to operate across species to a remarkable degree. For example, Deacon (in press) describes evidence for lawful axon growth in the brain of the adult rat, from cortical transplants taken from fetal pigs! [emphasis mine]
The kinds of nitty-gritty "modules" EP practitioners attribute to the human brain, a grammar module, a cheater detection module, etc. could be borne out if the human brain showed mosaic development, like C. elegans. However, it doesn't. Neural development in humans is very coarse, proceeding along reaction-diffusion lines—the same sort of rules that give leopards their spots, which, though always looking similar on any two leopards, are never precisely the same.
From my perspective most modern EP is seriously lacking in the "evolution" part; but many of the supposed debunkings of EP claims are even worse. Like the bolded part in the above quote: OK, so brain developmental principles are highly conserved between mammals. But does the above quoted observation mean that pigs and rats can't differ in their innate psychological traits and biases? If not, then this "coarseness" does not in any way exclude the possibility of species-specific psychological adaptations in mammals in general and humans in particular (regardless of whether nitty-gritty modules are implausible for other reasons).

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Another two-wheeler here, I am primarily a motorcyclist however.
I'm with you, DT. Although my disabilities prevent me from riding and I can't afford a trike. Here's a couple pics of me and one of my old bikes:
Whats your particular physical issue?

Usually with knee and leg issues that affect the gearshifter or rear brake, they can be fixed with a hand operated power shifter and ignition cut combo, and linked front and rear brakes are quite easily done too.

Not to long ago there was a touching story going through the bike-o-sphere here in Aus, where a rider had been paralysed in a motorcycle accident, but was able to ride again with a rather trick system where training wheel-like levers would come down and hold the bike upright when it came to a stop.

Amazing stuff. When theres a will theres a way.

I have seen some nice trikes, however you always seem to lose the best aspects of the bike - the narrow wheel track, the leaning in corners...

Then again your in the land that brought the world chevy v8's and dodge v10's on 2 wheels. Its crazy.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Eight seconds of terror:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 400#p22112

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Renee, tell your sprout she's a wizard.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jan Steen wrote:Meanwhile, in the A+ mental institution...
My gender identity is somewhere in the middle of being agender and female, and very slightly variable (genderfluid) on top of that, so while I’m okay with feminine pronouns, I prefer gender neutral ones and specifically the xe/xie/ze/zie ones are all pronounced with a [z] sound. However, as this thread makes obvious, there is no shortage of assholes in the world that it’s not my job to school in being polite to others by using the right pronouns, so I tend to skirt over people using ‘she’ if they can be convinced to use the singular they.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =25#p35376

This was posted by global moderator Xantë, who apparently can be referred to as xe (or as xie or as ze or as zie) at time t1, as she at time t2, and as they at time t3. This gets so complicated that I prefer not to refer to xir/zir/her at all.
Actually, it appears to be “Xanthë”, but considering “they” called me “Steersy” and “sweetie” on Man Boobz I’ve been thinking of returning the favour with “X=unknown”. Sauce for the goose (xoose?) and all that, particularly since AtheismPlus seems to big on proper protocol . Although I wonder about her use of “skirt” – would a man be obliged to use, for example, “kilt”? …

Which highlights, I think, the total ridiculousness of that effort to create special pronouns for quite a small demographic. For one thing those “requests” – shading into “demands” – seems perilously close to some insistence on a special title – maybe they would prefer “Your Royal Highness”.
For all their obsession with rape the A+ crowd is remarkably at ease with raping the English language.
Exactly. “You” can be used as a singular or plural so I see no reason why the capability can’t be extended – for very little cost – to “they”. Not to mention that several of them, including Xanthë, appear to be a plurality – the Royal “We”? – to begin with ….

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Darren wrote:Undocumented reason to be banned from the A+ forum: Suspicion of intent to troll.
It’s just a matter of time until I get busted for that over there. Still, having a go of it.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

John Greg wrote:Eight seconds of terror:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Isn't she, though? She did a fantastic job of getting it just right :D

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, I think it’s crap – my dog could do better and it’s dead ….

Just kidding of course, but I wonder whether you didn’t have some sort of an emotional reaction – “How dare he? What a dickhead!” – or the like.

Maybe you didn’t but I think we’re all capable of being insulted to varying degrees by various words – or actions – directed at various shibboleths or totems – kids, dogs, flags, etc., etc.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Steersman wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, I think it’s crap – my dog could do better and it’s dead ….

Just kidding of course, but I wonder whether you didn’t have some sort of an emotional reaction – “How dare he? What a dickhead!” – or the like.

Maybe you didn’t but I think we’re all capable of being insulted to varying degrees by various words – or actions – directed at various shibboleths or totems – kids, dogs, flags, etc., etc.
An emotional reaction to what? The ElevatorGate incident? Oddly enough, my oldest (18), my middle gal (15), and myself all had the same reaction to "ElevatorGate" - "he asked you back for coffee and you freaked out?". Yeah, so...what's your point again?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Steersman wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, I think it’s crap – my dog could do better and it’s dead …. Just kidding of course, ....
An emotional reaction to what? The ElevatorGate incident? ?
Thought it should have been clear that I wasn't referring to the incident itself, but to the drawing ...

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Steersman wrote:Exactly. “You” can be used as a singular or plural so I see no reason why the capability can’t be extended – for very little cost – to “they”.
It's been done for many hundreds of years already. Fuck them, if it was good enough for Shakespeare, then it's good enough for me.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Rystefn wrote:
Steersman wrote:Exactly. “You” can be used as a singular or plural so I see no reason why the capability can’t be extended – for very little cost – to “they”.
It's been done for many hundreds of years already. Fuck them, if it was good enough for Shakespeare, then it's good enough for me.
Not all that familiar with Shakespeare so I’ll take your word for it. But just to throw the fox in amongst the chickens you might raise that question with Ophelia as she seems fairly familiar with the corpus. At least enough to rake me over the coals for using the phrase “Methinks the ladies doth protest too much” in the discussion of gendered insults ….

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
John Greg wrote: Renee, tell your sprout she's a wizard.
Stop displaying your parentist privilege, bitch!!!!!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

real horrorshow wrote:
John Greg wrote:munkhaus, shit, I really really never thought I'd see myself say this, especially to you, but if you are so god damned morally affronted by Rystefn's lifestyle, either go write a fucking bible, or shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up.
How about: no-one criticizes anyone's personal life and no-one wags their all-conquering cock around? I think that's fair.
Generally works for me, although I sort of doubt you would extend that “non-criticism” to, say, pedophiles. Hence “consenting adults” and “first, do no harm” tends, I think, to cover more bases. Although I think that the case that Munkhaus and Rystefn are at loggerheads about tends to be a situation that might fall between the cracks of the latter case.

Personally, I think that there isn’t one single moral law to cover all cases and situations … kind of have to “wing-it” at times: guess wrong and you pay the piper ….

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Steersman wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Not all that familiar with Shakespeare so I’ll take your word for it. But just to throw the fox in amongst the chickens you might raise that question with Ophelia as she seems fairly familiar with the corpus. At least enough to rake me over the coals for using the phrase “Methinks the ladies doth protest too much” in the discussion of gendered insults ….
Shakespeare wrote:FRIAR LAURENCE
Arise; one knocks; good Romeo, hide thyself.

ROMEO
Not I; unless the breath of heartsick groans,
Mist-like, infold me from the search of eyes.

Knocking

FRIAR LAURENCE
Hark, how they knock! Who's there?[/quote/]
Shakespeare wrote:There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As if I were their well-acquainted friend
Shakespeare]Now leaden slumber with life's strength doth fight; And every one to rest themselves betake, Save thieves, and cares, and troubled minds, that wake.[/quote] [quote= wrote:'Tis meet that some more audience than a mother, since nature makes them partial, should o'erhear the speech
It's a well-established convention used by masters of the English language for centuries.I don't know why these assholes insist on the rest of us carting about on their shitty triangular wheels when we've had a perfectly good round one this whole time.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Ignore my BBcode fail, please. Should have previewed that one.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Rystefn wrote:
Steersman wrote: ...Not all that familiar with Shakespeare so I’ll take your word for it. But just to throw the fox in amongst the chickens you might raise that question with Ophelia as she seems fairly familiar with the corpus. At least enough to rake me over the coals for using the phrase “Methinks the ladies doth protest too much” in the discussion of gendered insults ….
Shakespeare wrote:FRIAR LAURENCE
Arise; one knocks; good Romeo, hide thyself.

ROMEO
Not I; unless the breath of heartsick groans,
Mist-like, infold me from the search of eyes.

Knocking

FRIAR LAURENCE
Hark, how they knock! Who's there?
It's a well-established convention used by masters of the English language for centuries.
Thanks, although I only see one case of “they” referring to, supposedly, a “one”, but it’s late ….
I don't know why these assholes insist on the rest of us carting about on their shitty triangular wheels when we've had a perfectly good round one this whole time.
Rather a curious phenomenon, the “intersection” – another buzz word over there – of feminism and language. But it seems that academia has been beavering away for some time in those fields, examples here, here, and here. While I think there’s maybe some justification – “chairperson” and the like, I also think that much of it is so many “just-so” stories and pseudoscience – “nonsense on stilts” as the philosopher Massimo Pigliucci put it in a book of the same name.

[Time to call it a day; night all]

Darren

Post by Darren »

Jeebus... I've caught up with the thread and now I'm so bored I'm actually reading the A+ forums.

Get posting, you lot!

Darren

Post by Darren »

How many roads must a man walk down...
before you can call him a misogynist?

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

Patriarchy.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Darren wrote:How many roads must a man walk down...
before you can call him a misogynist?
If he doesn't cross the road when a woman is around: less than 1.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

aweraw wrote:Patriarchy.
Privilege

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Maybe this is a silly question for the Pit but I've never actually considered it before and I know I'll get a saner answer here than A+. How exactly does one "check" their privilege (assuming they were inclined to do so)? What the fuck does it mean? "Oh look, I have privilege. Now fuck off slag" I just don't understand what's going on regarding:
A) Checking privilege
B) How an individual admitting to "checking" privilege changes/benefits the discussion.

Gimme your best answers puleease.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Maybe this is a silly question for the Pit but I've never actually considered it before and I know I'll get a saner answer here than A+. How exactly does one "check" their privilege (assuming they were inclined to do so)? What the fuck does it mean? "Oh look, I have privilege. Now fuck off slag" I just don't understand what's going on regarding:
A) Checking privilege
B) How an individual admitting to "checking" privilege changes/benefits the discussion.

Just a guess, but I think "check your privilege" means to realize that you have it and to put it aside - basically, try to change who and what you are and become something else for the time. It may be just try to see the other's viewpoint, but that's not the sense that I get when I hear them talk about it. Could be wrong, of course.

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Privilege
Penis.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Badger3k wrote: Just a guess, but I think "check your privilege" means to realize that you have it and to put it aside - basically, try to change who and what you are and become something else for the time. It may be just try to see the other's viewpoint, but that's not the sense that I get when I hear them talk about it. Could be wrong, of course.
Yeah, that's not what I get from it either. Especially when the people telling me to check it are usually in a more "privileged" situation than me.
I usually try and look at an argument from someone else's point of view anyway but no matter how hard I try I can't see how being asked for coffee in an elevator is a terrifying/creepy experience.

Strange Lurker

Post by Strange Lurker »

I just spent the night at a ball for people who used to have privilege. (Gathering of the descendants of nobility). I'm not sure what I'm supposed to check now, if anything.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I caught a burglar in my house lastChristmas. He had a bag full of the kids presents and was in the middle of taking a shit on the floor. Normally I would have flew into a rage and attacked him but instead, I checked my privilege.
I realised that he needed the presents for his own children and couldn't afford his own because of the patriarchy (which is oppressive for penis-wielders as well as vagina-keepers). I also understood that he was caught short in a strange house and didn't know where the toilet was so was forced to take a humilating shit wherever he could, in this case, my floor. Finally, and with sickening horror, it dawned on me that my phallic-centric christmas tree was rape enabling.
I ended up giving him my walletand asking for his forgiveness.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Maybe this is a silly question for the Pit but I've never actually considered it before and I know I'll get a saner answer here than A+. How exactly does one "check" their privilege (assuming they were inclined to do so)? What the fuck does it mean? "Oh look, I have privilege. Now fuck off slag" I just don't understand what's going on regarding:
A) Checking privilege

This is a tuffie. I don't think many of the A+ers even know what they really mean by this.

Their claim is that everyone has some form of "privilege" which they are, by definition, incapable of perceiving - and that this mysterious privilege alters our perceptions of what is fair and just when it comes to social issues. To simplfy, this is the way the average A+er sees the world:

1. Anyone who is aware of X privilege will agree that Y is the only acceptable answer.
2. The only reason you can't see that Y is the correct answer is because of your X privilege.
3. By definition, you can not possibly be aware of your X privilege.
4. Therefore, you must "check" your privilege by taking our word for it that it exists.

Having "checked" your privilege by conceding that it must exist because they say so, the only option you have is to concede that Y is, indeed, the correct answer, even though you have no idea why.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Jan Steen wrote:Chairman Pee Xie Myers is at the Texas Freethought Convention. He “just heard Aron Ra shred the religious, and Matt Dillahunty and Richard Dawkins and Sean Faircloth are coming up.”

I wonder how soon his commentariat will rebuke him for sharing the stage with those vile misogynists and enemies of the marginalised.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -in-texas/
It seems I have bought all that popcorn for nothing. Nobody questioned PZ’s mixing with the white, privileged, cis-gendered old men. Even Dawkins was barely mentioned. Instead the commenters studiously chewed away at a bone thrown at them by PZ: a photo of a nutty picketer at the conference. Somehow the commenters seem aware of the taboo and to respect it.

Don’t mention the war.

In the comments there is also a link to PZ’s speech. It’s the usual anti-creationist rant that almost every atheist could deliver on autopilot; preaching to the choir and not even funny. There’s nothing about A+ in it.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Badger3k wrote: Just a guess, but I think "check your privilege" means to realize that you have it and to put it aside - basically, try to change who and what you are and become something else for the time. It may be just try to see the other's viewpoint, but that's not the sense that I get when I hear them talk about it. Could be wrong, of course.
Yeah, that's not what I get from it either. Especially when the people telling me to check it are usually in a more "privileged" situation than me.
I usually try and look at an argument from someone else's point of view anyway but no matter how hard I try I can't see how being asked for coffee in an elevator is a terrifying/creepy experience.
I took it they were using it like "Check your hat and coat at the door", but it goes further than that:
(Trigger warning!) http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege
And if you are really, really bored;
http://blog.shrub.com/archives/tekanji/2006-03-08_146

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

aweraw wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Privilege
Penis.
And for those that need to check their privilege penis at the door...

[youtube]NQBPgJQhQHc[/youtube]

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Steersman wrote:Not to mention that several of them, including Xanthë, appear to be a plurality – the Royal “We”? – to begin with ….
Pharyngula commenter Nerd of Redhead is also fond of using "we". In his case it may not be the Royal 'We", however. He appears to believe that he was appointed to speak on behalf of the entire commentariat. He always reminds me of Mrs. Slocombe in Are you being served?, who used to say, "And I am unanimous in that," when she gave her opinion.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Jan Steen wrote:He always reminds me of Mrs. Slocombe in Are you being served?, who used to say, "And I am unanimous in that," when she gave her opinion.
Was that before or after she thawed her pussy out?

Reap

Post by Reap »

Jan Steen wrote:
In the comments there is also a link to PZ’s speech. It’s the usual anti-creationist rant that almost every atheist could deliver on autopilot; preaching to the choir and not even funny. There’s nothing about A+ in it.

And in that nothing we can find hope that this shit may very well finally be dead. Now how do we get all the brains back into those people who lost theirs to A+? Eh, fuck em

cunt

Post by cunt »

Did he really haul his carcass across the country just to make that 5 minute speech? There must have been a talk or something later.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:Did he really haul his carcass across the country just to make that 5 minute speech? There must have been a talk or something later.
Maybe he just wanted to feel important. I was totes expecting PZ to lay into Dawkins for his privilege and misogyny like he does when they are not fact-to-face /sarcasm

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: I took it they were using it like "Check your hat and coat at the door",
That's exactly as I saw it. Just a standard response to anything. Almost like "Hi".

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

A) Checking privilege

Seems to me that 'check your privilege' is somewhat like 'don't double down' - an A+ codephrase for 'Agree with me, or else!'. Both are also cousins to the ad-hom fallacy: 'I can ignore your argument, because you are unaware of your privilege or are just doubling down. So 'poof' - dismissed! Blah blah blah...'

As for actually checking one's privilege - dunno about that. What I do know, however, is that I want more. And I think most people do too, in one sphere or another. I can't seriously believe that many of the A+ crowd haven't tried on some clothes before buying them, in the hope that the items in question flatter their shape - in other words, contribute towards the privilege of being attractive. Every day, we probably do a hundred tiny things in the effort of improving on our stock of privileges, whether we're aware of it or not. The Aplussers themselves clearly demand the privilege of being the heeded class, the people that others must take seriously above all. They are of course, failing quite badly in this, in that being so bitter and unpleasant, they come across more as jealous, hypocritical and embittered misfits.

Anyways, I've checked my prvileges as best I can, and though I don't have many, I'm quite pleased with the ones I've got. More economic privilege would be fucking great, and I seriously need to get back working to maintain my health and attractiveness privileges because I haven't been out jogging for a month, and I've started to get a little doughy. My favourite privilege is definitely my ladykiller smile - used to deploy it to make my ex take off her clothes. It was like a superpower. It's a good privilege, and I hope I don't lose it.

I like the privilege of no longer living on a shithole sink estate with all the skanky chavs and inbreds. Though I do also like the privilege of having learned a great deal more than Jason Thimbledoo about the 'underclasses', which means I can laugh at him and his 'champion of the oppressed' ways.

I'd also really fuckin like to be a mason, on the basis that I'm pretty sure it does grant a lot of local influence (damn fine privilege, that one) and you get to go out and have nice dinners, too. Usually in more expensive restaurants tailored to those who are more privileged.

In the spirit of being antithetical to the prevailing attitudes of A+, I'd be interested to hear what privileges the rest of you enjoy, and what privileges you also hanker for.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

I looked at the schedule and according to that he was the keynote speaker with an hour talk to finish.
Dawkins had 10 minutes in the morning, but think he was just there to sell a few books really.

Trophy

Re: Ooh, I'm a relationship anarchist!

Post by Trophy »

Munkhaus wrote:How tedious. [Trigger warning: trying to talk to chimps. You may want to scroll on by.]
Listen Jack; I'm entirely uninterested in the activities of Billy Big Bollocks. "Oh I hate those BSDM amateurs and their mere anal sex (which by some peoples metric isn't even sex btw ahurhur!)"
This guy is a monumental tosser.
[again, apologies to everyone else for disrupting the flow of A+ lulz]
My my my, it looks like we have a home-grown talent. I share your enthusiasm for enjoying lolz wherever they pop, Munkhaus: Anal sex is not even considered sex, except that it can give you STDs. What a dumbass! Hahaha! Really high quality lolz!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Further to my last post: way I see it with prvilege is if you're not prepared to give up your job, your possessions and comfortable lifestyle to go an live in a third-world manure hut, then you aren't against privilege itself, only those who happen to have more privileges than you.

Couch

Post by Couch »

Jan Steen wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Chairman Pee Xie Myers is at the Texas Freethought Convention. He “just heard Aron Ra shred the religious, and Matt Dillahunty and Richard Dawkins and Sean Faircloth are coming up.”

I wonder how soon his commentariat will rebuke him for sharing the stage with those vile misogynists and enemies of the marginalised.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -in-texas/
It seems I have bought all that popcorn for nothing. Nobody questioned PZ’s mixing with the white, privileged, cis-gendered old men. Even Dawkins was barely mentioned. Instead the commenters studiously chewed away at a bone thrown at them by PZ: a photo of a nutty picketer at the conference. Somehow the commenters seem aware of the taboo and to respect it.

Don’t mention the war
There is this near the end of the comments, but ignored:
permanganater
21 October 2012 at 2:53 am
“…. and Matt Dillahunty and Richard Dawkins and Sean Faircloth are coming up….”

(….crickets…)

(Waves arms and madly points “OMG!! A FUNNY SIGN”.)