Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Lsuoma »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Franc, I have just read your excellent blog post, that was some hard work you did there young man, I'm proud of you!

I wonder how much of that Ophelia will quote mine if she ever gets to read it?
She'll use the word "cunt," that much is certain.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:Yeah, because as everyone knows, death is the most likely outcome of drunken sex.
It can be:

[youtube]6qI4QJ_5i28[/youtube]

I don't know about the US Military but serving in the British Army, being targetted by a terrorist organisation for over 30 years, makes you a tad uneasy about hooking up with random strangers.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Question: I've made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to embed a youtube video. I've tried using the youtube feature when posting and I've tried using the embed feature on youtube, neither one worked for me. What am I doing wrong?
Take the Youtube url (i.e. and remove all but the part *after* v= (so in this case, we're left with S6CFgK8nYLA). Place that between the youtube tags. Viola:

[footube]S6CFgK8nYLA[/footube]

Jenna Marbles drunkenly decorating a tree. Only the tree was raped.
Thank you!
BTW, there may be other extraneous stuff in the FoolTube link which needs chopping out too. The "v=XXXXXXXXXX" stuff may not come immediately after the youtube.com component. You'll need to identify the "v=XXXXXXXXX" stuff no matter where it is in the link, and remove everything around it. Basically, take everything between "v=" andthe first "?" or "&" character following that, and paste that in the [footube][/footube] tags.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:Hey Welch - seems your recent blog post has caught the beady eye of the Sick Wench of Doom: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... agreement/

Svan, you wouldn't know a principled disagreement from a suppository.
http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... a-fee-fee/

stupid sow, i'm not playing by her rules.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:A final word on podcast production from me.

Please take any advice that I've offered as merely friendly tips and not PRONOUNCEMENTS FROM THE GREAT AND MIGHTY PODMASTER. Welch can attest that for basically the first year we did AMB I would fly off the handle weekly at the people on Twitter rushing in to explain (podsplain?) how we were doing everything wrong. I still get pissed at the golden-eared freaks who complain about echos and hums that I can only detect by playing the show though an amplifier set to 11.

The absolute most important thing is that you're out there doing something. The content is what's most important. If people can't get over any technical issues that you might have, fuck them --- in the ear.
Exactly. If you have good content, if you are enjoyable to listen to, don't freak out about tech issues. You can eventually solve them. Get a good groove and enjoy yourselves.

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
decius wrote:Yeah, because as everyone knows, death is the most likely outcome of drunken sex.
It can be:

I don't know about the US Military but serving in the British Army, being targetted by a terrorist organisation for over 30 years, makes you a tad uneasy about hooking up with random strangers.
Well, being part of an occupying army on foreign soil requires extraordinary precautions, I suppose.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Outwest wrote:podcast stuff
One time while doing Angry Mac Bastards our third partner's audio failed in the awesomest way possible. Basically his local recording ended up sounding like an hour of Daft Punk. So what else would we do but include a few seconds of that at the very front of the next show. Like less than a minute of noise.

We received dozens of panicky messages from people who obviously hadn't bothered to listen to a full 60 seconds of the show before flipping out and twittering at us.

Honestly, the worst part of having a podcast is the audience.

And don't get me going about the creepy loons who seek us out at Macworld. Those deranged freaks would leave Watson in a gibbering puddle.

There were times I thought I'd have to explain about one person to a urinal.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

Well, being part of an occupying army on foreign soil requires extraordinary precautions, I suppose.
Touche

welch

Re: Modes of transportation and the feeble mind

Post by welch »

mordacious1 wrote:So, let me get this straight, Watson doesn't learn to drive until she's in her thirties (presumably because she was never sober enough to get behind the wheel) and McFreight rode a bike for the first time last year. What is wrong with these people? Then we have McFreight's dad, who is going to beat up the internet because they're making fun of his princess, but he couldn't even take the time to teach her to ride a friggin' bicycle. Man that's just weird.
Watson lives in Boston. That's actually common for that area. My mom grew up in chicago, she never learned to drive, she had no need.

The bike thing is...yeah, how the fuck do you grow up and never ride a bike?

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

Aah, bless your cotton socks attempting to push a political agenda into what was a discussion about looking after your mates. Nice deflection.

papillon

Post by papillon »

welch wrote: The bike thing is...yeah, how the fuck do you grow up and never ride a bike?
Hymen preservation...either that, or cyclists are yet another group of people that have disappointed her.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote: It's a big gray area that I think should be left up to the individual, and their choice of friends. Saying that it wold be nice to have someone intervene when you're about to do something stupid or regrettable, or even that it is what you would expect from a *friend*, is not the same as saying that they are responsible for your actions.
Woud this qualify?

http://gifs.gifbin.com/062009/124453048 ... _train.gif

Just asking.

decius

Post by decius »

welch wrote:
The bike thing is...yeah, how the fuck do you grow up and never ride a bike?
You don't grow up, problem solved.

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
Aah, bless your cotton socks attempting to push a political agenda into what was a discussion about looking after your mates. Nice deflection.
WTF. Can't you really see the difference between the general situation we were discussing and the special case you cherry-picked? Had John made that distinction, I wouldn't have disagreed.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote:
JackRayner wrote: It's a big gray area that I think should be left up to the individual, and their choice of friends. Saying that it wold be nice to have someone intervene when you're about to do something stupid or regrettable, or even that it is what you would expect from a *friend*, is not the same as saying that they are responsible for your actions.
Woud this qualify?

http://gifs.gifbin.com/062009/124453048 ... _train.gif

Just asking.
Would I stop one of my friend from doing that if their intent wasn't to commit suicide? I think so. :)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote:
decius wrote:
Yeah, because as everyone knows, death is the most likely outcome of drunken sex.
Is being accused of rape worse than death? Or is that only if you're the rapee?
There are lots of incidents written about over at

http://www.cotwa.info/ and http://toysoldier.wordpress.com/

Here is one from the Community of the Wrongly Accused:

http://www.cotwa.info/2012/12/video-spa ... iance.html
Video spares Amy Winehouse's ex-fiance from prison for rape charges
At his trial, jurors were told Reg’s alleged victim was “so drunk she couldn’t stand up or walk — and was experiencing blackouts and memory loss”.

But as stills from the film screened for the jury dramatically show on these pages the 27-year-old was STEADY on her feet and had NO TROUBLE walking from the club to a cab despite wearing HIGH HEELS.

Reg, who took her back to his flat, said: “They said CCTV footage would show her stumbling around drunk.

“But I have a clear memory of that night and knew that simply wasn’t the case.” He said it was clear police never properly looked at the film — as he continued: “The CCTV showed clearly that she was walking without any help whatsoever, in a pair of high heels. Amy Winehouse's ex Reg Traviss on rape trial: 'I felt very victimised'

After the police grilling he was so shaken that he could barely bring himself to leave his flat.

He said: “I live in central London and the thought of walking past all the pubs with people standing outside at that time of year really upset me. Then I pulled myself together. I am an innocent man and why should I be living like that?”

He said of the fateful night out with the woman friend, who cannot be named for legal reasons: “We were only merry-drunk.

“We’d been out from 10pm. We did have a few drinks.

“But that was punctuated by lots of fresh air when we walked between pubs and my brother’s nightclub Jet Black.”

He said it was 3.45am when they decided to leave — adding: “I don’t honestly believe the police, prosecutor or judge ever actually believed in her story.

“The woman who gave evidence wasn’t the woman I knew. She was aggressive and angry and completely different to the person I thought I knew.”

He said: “I just couldn’t believe I was so close to my life being over — and I had done nothing wrong. My family, colleagues, friends are all gone if that mud sticks. Let’s face it, allegations like this aren’t like nicking a loaf of bread or getting a speeding ticket. The stakes do not get any higher. I feel genuinely sorry for the true victims of rape. This is a disgusting insult to them, one of the most vile crimes.

"I have really strong views on sex offenders — and there I was defending myself in that arena. This is a high-profile case of someone being wrongfully accused. I sincerely hope it won’t deter the true victims of sexual assault from coming forward.”

He continued: “I was staring at a death sentence. “My barrister told me it was four to five years per charge — so potentially eight to ten years."

Reg went on: “I am fortunate that I had the means to afford proper legal representation. I dread to think what the experience would have been like on Legal Aid.”

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
WTF. Can't you really see the difference between the general situation we were discussing and the special case you cherry-picked? Had John made that distinction, I wouldn't have disagreed.
Can you not see that the point is that individuals under the influence of alcohol are prone to make stupid decisions? British soldiers in Cyprus, Germany and the UK have also fallen for the 'honey trap'. Location or politics is irrelevant. If you want to be a 'lone wolf' don't try and be part of an organisation that promotes team work and responsibility for others.

Git

Post by Git »

decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

Well, you can fuck right off. Northern Ireland is British because the overwhelming majority of people there want it to be part of Britain (a principle enshrined in the GFA).

Reap

Post by Reap »

Here's a podcast you may enjoy
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/beer.jpg

I use cheap equipment and record from my living room.(FYI-the windows 8 sound handling blows goats)
As long as I'm having a good time doing it I'm cool. Like someone said earlier people who aren't pleased with it can request a full refund and get every penny they spent on it back instantly. Live broadcasting is fun cause you are never gonna be perfect.The trick is in how you deal with the unforeseen issues not if you can avoid ever having them because trust me, you can not always avoid them. I love it when a listener emails me to complain about the sound quality of a guests phone and insist I have my sound guy do something about it. I'm flattered they think I have a 'sound guy' at all and I guess I seem like the kind of guy who buys new phones for anyone who needs one before I record with em. That's really cool of me to do....even in someone's imagination

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Git wrote:
decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

Well, you can fuck right off. Northern Ireland is British because the overwhelming majority of people there want it to be part of Britain (a principle enshrined in the GFA).
Because I'm a dick, I once went into a pub in London and yelled, "Happy Fourth of July!" on the 4th of July. Note, the pub was mostly empty, and the people who were there, I knew. I'm not stupid, after all. ;-)

I had a friend who was traveling to Ireland who asked me what she should so when she got there. I told her that she should, in all earnestness, yell the phrase, "OLIVER CROMWELL!" as loud as she could when she set foot on shore. Thankfully she knew her history and opted to call me a dick instead.

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
Can you not see that the point is that individuals under the influence of alcohol are prone to make stupid decisions? British soldiers in Cyprus, Germany and the UK have also fallen for the 'honey trap'. Location or politics is irrelevant. If you want to be a 'lone wolf' don't try and be part of an organisation that promotes team work and responsibility for others.
Have you ever been out at night in Heidelberg or Wiesbaden? If there's some unwritten rule against military/civilian interaction or a pervasive fear of falling for "honey-traps" crippling the US soldiers, it certainly doesn't look that way. Further, if you wish to compare the atmosphere and factual dangers in those places with the situation in Belfast in the seventies or in Bagdad now, I would suggest that you're mistaken.

I'm sure that someone here knows what I'm talking about.

decius

Post by decius »

Git wrote:
To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's arse about Northern Ireland's politics. It's good that you morons have stopped shooting each other.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Because you guys don't sugar coat shit and because this is one of the last places my somewhat 'net savvy relatives won't come calling, I need to get some cold hard facts on lymphoma. My guy *might* be dealing with this and, to be quite honest, I'm scared fucking shitless. I don't want to lose the very best friend I've ever had in this world.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hey, slymepitters

I’ve been lurking for the past 2 weeks, and decided to finally show my support and join up. Like everyone else that’s joined recently I thought the pit would be full of horrible horrible things… and I had to laugh at the fact that I bought into the propaganda of the people I can’t stand (the FTB croud), I should have known better! What I found was a bunch of awesome + funny people, pointing out the constant idiocy of some people claiming to be skeptics.

So with Rebecca’s evolutionary psychology mishap I went to the SGU forums to see if anyone was talking about it (no mention of it as of about a week ago), and ran across a thread talking about how the forum was losing/lacking members. Can anyone fill me in, did they go through some sort of feminist purge or is RW driving people away? I know I had to stop listening, can’t stand RW and her rude comments anymore.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work everybody, it is much appreciated!

comslave

Post by comslave »

JackRayner wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote: I think the skepchicks as a whole have re-invented "flirty fishing";

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llmwq ... o1_500.jpg
Had to look up the term up and all I gotta say is DAMN! Why did this go away?! :|

The cult that promoted "flirty fishing" had a little problem understanding concept of "age of consent" and started banging their own kids. While they claimed to have since stopped doing this, they left a trail of damaged young adults in their wake. Atheists should just stick to baby eating.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Because you guys don't sugar coat shit and because this is one of the last places my somewhat 'net savvy relatives won't come calling, I need to get some cold hard facts on lymphoma. My guy *might* be dealing with this and, to be quite honest, I'm scared fucking shitless. I don't want to lose the very best friend I've ever had in this world.
I had a cancer scare a few years ago. I was told that what I was suffering from was most likely liver cancer (it turned out to be Celiac, instead). Here's the only piece of advice I can give you in this situation. Control your fear. It's contagious. You don't know what you don't know, so fear isn't your friend in this case. I can tell you that as scared as you are, he's terrified and he's gonna need you to be strong for him for a bit.

Also, keep an open dialogue open. I'm not trying to over-generalize here, but we men tend to internalize these kinds of things to remain strong for everyone else. That's going to take an emotional and physical toll. You need to get a jump on this now and start researching treatment options together in a calm manner. That way, if the news is bad, you'll be prepared.

Other than that, it's going to be a cruel, cruel waiting game. But, don't feel like you have to struggle through it alone. I'm sure most here would agree, even if we don't really "know" each other in real life, we still "know" each other. So, don't hesitate to PM if you just need to talk.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Because you guys don't sugar coat shit and because this is one of the last places my somewhat 'net savvy relatives won't come calling, I need to get some cold hard facts on lymphoma. My guy *might* be dealing with this and, to be quite honest, I'm scared fucking shitless. I don't want to lose the very best friend I've ever had in this world.
The first thing you should both do is start having long talks with your doctors. While there are some folks who may be knowlegable here, they won't come close to what they can tell you, in terms of useful medical stuff.

A quick glance at Wikipedia confirms what I thought: that term covers a LOT of things, and some of it at least is quite manageable. For example, Paul Allen, one of the Microsoft founders, has been a lymphoma survivor for decades. It looks as though with proper treatement, the 5 year survival rate is pretty good. (given who you're talking about, "excellent" would entail "100%", so i'm describing accordingly.)

From what I can tell, it's not like that "plan your funeral" pancreatic shit. There's no way cancer is ever "good", but, lymphoma appears to be one of the more manageable ones.

It still sucks hard, but maybe that helps it suck a wee bit less?

comslave

Post by comslave »

I take it this was the "Smoking car"?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aaah, fuck, Renée, that sucks arse for you and him.

The good news is that in general lymphoma is one of the more treatable and survivable cancers. I personally know three women who have had lymphoma and one is still alive and cancer-free after 15 years.

I don't have any hard numbers, just anecdotes, I know.

welch

Post by welch »

John Brown wrote:Also, keep an open dialogue open. I'm not trying to over-generalize here, but we men tend to internalize these kinds of things to remain strong for everyone else. That's going to take an emotional and physical toll. You need to get a jump on this now and start researching treatment options together in a calm manner. That way, if the news is bad, you'll be prepared.
Good point. Although sometimes, it's not even that. If i'm not feeling well, unless it's obvious, I'm just not going to comment on it. I'll get better, and my reaction to colds/flus is to go hibernate. I take care of it myself, and would rather not be bothered about it. I'm also somewhat low key, as a conversation with my wife a week or so ago in a local pub went.

"Hey, I think I should go to the emergency room"
"why"
"Well, I have this pain on my left side, and my left arm is tingling." (background: given my workout routine, chest pain is normal for me, and as I'm asthmatic, shortness of breath, especially in winter, ditto. But the arm tingling...yeah. Take that shit seriously)
"Do you need me to drive?"
"If I did, I'd have you call the EMTs, and i'd probably need CPR. Hosptital's six blocks away, lemme go get the car."
so we go, and as much as they could tell, it's just a collection of stuff. EKG was normal. I ended up going home before the rest of the tests, because I picked the ER with the NINE HOUR WAITING TIME. (Tell me again how eebul socialized medicine makes you wait and our system doesn't.)

Got my cholesterol checked, that's normal, and it's likely that it was a placebo effect. A good friend of melissa's, about my age, had just keeled over dead as a doornail from a heart attack. I'm still a little twitchy about it, but so far so good, and yes, once I get done with the current round of thyroid testing, (borderline high TSH, explains some things), I'll also have a talk with my doc about it.

I was kind of freaking out, but, i realized that Melissa would be REALLY freaking out if I started to, so I just stayed calm, because if I was about to have an incident, panic would help no one. And next time, I go to the other hospital. Fucking nine hour wait, I'd have been dead if it would have been serious.

So while he may not talk about it a lot, it may not be a show of strength. He may just genuinely not want to talk about it constantly, and get rather annoyed if it's all he gets to talk about for the next few months. keep up with things, but if he doesn't want to talk about it, let him not talk about it.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:Have you ever been out at night in Heidelberg or Wiesbaden?
On many occasions.
If there's some unwritten rule against military/civilian interaction or a pervasive fear of falling for "honey-traps" crippling the US soldiers, it certainly doesn't look that way.
Are you purposely being obtuse? The 'honey trap' example was an indication of what can happen should alcohol overtake your capacity for rational decision making. Telling your mates where you are going and with who is hardly cramping anyone's style. These are the same people who will have to expend time and effort locating you if you do go missing. Strangely, if people do go missing, the Army attitude is never 'fuck it'.
Further, if you wish to compare the atmosphere and factual dangers in those places with the situation in Belfast in the seventies or in Bagdad now, I would suggest that you're mistaken.
Are you seriously going down the route of 'x is worse so let's not discuss y'? Drunken lone soldiers have been beaten (and sometimes murdered) in every country they have ever served in.

Belfast of course is now a haven of peace and tranquility and British soldiers are more than welcome to drink in the Falls Road without fear.</sarcasm>
I'm sure that someone here knows what I'm talking about.
You, hopefully.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

John Brown wrote:
I had a cancer scare a few years ago. I was told that what I was suffering from was most likely liver cancer (it turned out to be Celiac, instead). Here's the only piece of advice I can give you in this situation. Control your fear. It's contagious. You don't know what you don't know, so fear isn't your friend in this case. I can tell you that as scared as you are, he's terrified and he's gonna need you to be strong for him for a bit.

Also, keep an open dialogue open. I'm not trying to over-generalize here, but we men tend to internalize these kinds of things to remain strong for everyone else. That's going to take an emotional and physical toll. You need to get a jump on this now and start researching treatment options together in a calm manner. That way, if the news is bad, you'll be prepared.

Other than that, it's going to be a cruel, cruel waiting game. But, don't feel like you have to struggle through it alone. I'm sure most here would agree, even if we don't really "know" each other in real life, we still "know" each other. So, don't hesitate to PM if you just need to talk.
Thank you. I say *might* because it seemed as though the doctor wasn't quite sure (he was going by biopsy results so I'm thinking WTF?).

He is the sort who internalizes a lot. I say I'm scared shitless but I do try to keep that hidden. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. And I will PM "bend your ear" should the need arise (thank you).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
The first thing you should both do is start having long talks with your doctors. While there are some folks who may be knowlegable here, they won't come close to what they can tell you, in terms of useful medical stuff.

A quick glance at Wikipedia confirms what I thought: that term covers a LOT of things, and some of it at least is quite manageable. For example, Paul Allen, one of the Microsoft founders, has been a lymphoma survivor for decades. It looks as though with proper treatement, the 5 year survival rate is pretty good. (given who you're talking about, "excellent" would entail "100%", so i'm describing accordingly.)

From what I can tell, it's not like that "plan your funeral" pancreatic shit. There's no way cancer is ever "good", but, lymphoma appears to be one of the more manageable ones.

It still sucks hard, but maybe that helps it suck a wee bit less?
I did do a quick bit of research this morning online and saw that it's more manageable than other forms of cancer. Still...it's the big "C". Hopefully we'll know a bit more next week.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:
Aaah, fuck, Renée, that sucks arse for you and him.

The good news is that in general lymphoma is one of the more treatable and survivable cancers. I personally know three women who have had lymphoma and one is still alive and cancer-free after 15 years.

I don't have any hard numbers, just anecdotes, I know.
The stats online seem to lean more toward it being a treatable/survivable cancer. I had to deal with my step-father slowly being eaten away by squamous cell carcinoma (in his jaw and neck) so I tend to be over-the-top freaked over *any* form of cancer.

What's irritating right now is that it seems as though the doctor that talked to my guy last night (discussing the results of the biopsy done earlier this week) wasn't quite sure. How the fuck does that happen? I mean, it either is or isn't, right?

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
decius wrote:Have you ever been out at night in Heidelberg or Wiesbaden?
On many occasions.

Excellent, then we have an experience in common that can help us to forward the conversation.
soldierwhy wrote: Are you purposely being obtuse? The 'honey trap' example was an indication of what can happen should alcohol overtake your capacity for rational decision making. Telling your mates where you are going and with who is hardly cramping anyone's style. These are the same people who will have to expend time and effort locating you if you do go missing. Strangely, if people do go missing, the Army attitude is never 'fuck it'.
No, I've just absolutely no idea what you're talking about, unless you were in Germany in 1945-47 or thereabouts. Please, describe for me what a honey-trap situation entails, here and now.

Are you seriously going down the route of 'x is worse so let's not discuss y'? Drunken lone soldiers have been beaten (and sometimes murdered) in every country they have ever served in.
Really, does that include Western Europe in recent times? Honest question.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Honestly, the worst part of having a podcast is the audience.
:lol:

Question for welch: I liked your posts but why should we mock them? If they are trolls should we not ignore them? Don't we run the risk of inadvertently advertising for them the way PZ does for us?

Note I'm not actually suggesting that we do just ignore them, or I wouldn't be lurking here and laughing at them.

Also thank yous to Lsuoma, SN, RH, and others for being patient with new people and explaining youtube tags.

decius

Post by decius »

Sorry, I messed up the quotations. I hope it's still readable.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote: So while he may not talk about it a lot, it may not be a show of strength. He may just genuinely not want to talk about it constantly, and get rather annoyed if it's all he gets to talk about for the next few months. keep up with things, but if he doesn't want to talk about it, let him not talk about it.
He's the sort that will tell me upfront if he doesn't want to discuss a topic. I tend to talk some topics *to death* so it's an acquired defense mechanism for him :D

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you are ok. I would have been screaming, btw, had I been waiting in the emergency room for more than a hour. But then my patience level is rather low.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Million different kinds, treatable, lots of oddball ideas for when Nothing Works that will sometimes work that Ive come across via my online antics. Sucks donkey balls, but no reason to freak out until everything else doesnt work.

*Practical* advice from someone who dealt with a medical catastrophe-- Cancer, I imagine, would be 'worse' than my fiasco. I got a $695,000 bill in the mail after everything was said and done, with long-term meds all being on the Walmart generic list. I imagine cancer would be more along the lines of nickle-and-dime-you-to-death financially, whether you have insurance or not. One of the benefits of not being married is that my assets are separate from my partners, thus I could support us even if medical bankruptcy was on the table. I dunno what to tell you if youre married.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Git wrote:
decius wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
It can be:

Riight... so when the overwhelming Majority of Ireland voted to not remain part of Britian, and Britain said "No, we are going to keep this part" that was fair, and the "will of the people"?

papillon

Post by papillon »

ReneeHendricks wrote: He is the sort who internalizes a lot. I say I'm scared shitless but I do try to keep that hidden. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. And I will PM "bend your ear" should the need arise (thank you).
I hope things start to look a little less dark after the results are through.
I can't offer much in the way of advice, except relate an anecdote about my mum's experience with cancer.
Three years ago she got a red flag/inconclusive test results for bowel cancer. A biopsy was arranged and months passed. During the waiting time, she became very stressed and pretty weak but didn't mention to anyone to save us the worry.
Test results come back - excellent prognosis. We all breathed a sigh of relief.
Two months later she died suddenly.
During the months of uncertainty and stress, she had developed a duodenal ulcer which eventually ruptured.
I mention this not to freak you out, but to urge you both to have open dialogue and not to internalise anything. Rather than saving each other undue worry, you'll both benefit.
It was a cruel lesson, but it was something I'd never considered before.
TL;DR Take care of yourselves!

lost control

Post by lost control »

ReneeHendricks wrote:2. Boy George just tweeted me :D
Isn't he the one that quite often runs into stores? Or am I mixing the celebs up?

Anyway, that's kinda awesome.

lost control

Post by lost control »

soldierwhy wrote:
cunt wrote:This is why I freelance. Old place was full of cunts who thought "simples" was hilarious.
If someone describes another person as a 'bit mad' you usually find that the other person is indeed a good laugh. If someone describes themselves as a 'bit mad' you can guarantee they will be a complete fuckwit.

Like the new boss I once had who told me he was 'really laid back' and turned out to be a neurotic arsehole.
Well, I'd describe myself as not just a bit mad, but officially crazy, as in diagnosed with a mental illness (and they simply spared me from adding on the other two that would kinda fit... so I wouldn't be to worried *sigh*. Well, besides MDD I seem to be - at least almost - also qualifed for NPD and SPD. Yeah me.)
I know I can be quite an asshole, but I try not to be too much of a cunt. I'm still amazed that my gal manages to like me at times.
Sadly I can't remember jokes, only very few. But those, I got told 15+ years ago, and even then those were already kinda old. Fuck, just last weekend a friend told me one again - completely gone.

I'm somewhat happy, looks like my gal will finally be able to leave the hospital after the upcoming weekend. After 6 fucking weeks. And after all those exams, they couldn't pin it down to anything that would have a really bad outlook, afterall, so she might get off with less heavy meds, still it looks like she will get immuno-suppressive med [properly translated?] - most probably something cortison based.

So, now my thoughts go out to MKG, Renee's guy, hope the results come back good, and all you fucking fucks who helped to distract me from my worries.

petal, you sent me a PM regarding my gal, I started to answer, but sadly didn't finish it, cause I got way too little sleep anyway last weekend, I hope you'll see this: Thanks for the well wishes, and yeah, I know. ;) Seems like I pulled through the rought weeks ok, but I'm glad I got off for two weeks so I can relax a bit myself and help the fair maiden with some upcoming appointments and formal stuff.
I hope the upcoming weekend will be the last one I'll spend mostly at a hospital bed for some time.

Cheers, everyone.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ERV wrote:
Million different kinds, treatable, lots of oddball ideas for when Nothing Works that will sometimes work that Ive come across via my online antics. Sucks donkey balls, but no reason to freak out until everything else doesnt work.

*Practical* advice from someone who dealt with a medical catastrophe-- Cancer, I imagine, would be 'worse' than my fiasco. I got a $695,000 bill in the mail after everything was said and done, with long-term meds all being on the Walmart generic list. I imagine cancer would be more along the lines of nickle-and-dime-you-to-death financially, whether you have insurance or not. One of the benefits of not being married is that my assets are separate from my partners, thus I could support us even if medical bankruptcy was on the table. I dunno what to tell you if youre married.
We aren't married - which sucks for me (self-employed and sans insurance). I'm really hoping this doesn't nickle-and-dime us to death. At this point, I just want a solid answer from the doctor. Then, we'll go from there.

lost control

Post by lost control »

d4m10n wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
I really don't reason that he's overly thrilled about the controversies that keep miring a majority of the writers on the network who have no connection at all to the batshittery that keeps bubbling up there. There are some really, really good writers such as Mano, Myriam, BioDork, NSC, Aron, Taslima, etc.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw in my two cents... Your mileage may vary...
I'm not so sure about Taslima anymore — http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... are-hated/
Well, there's a great talk of her on youtube, really emotionally impressive, from some time ago. That was really moving. But her writing? Meh. And what she puts out is rather weak regarding reasonableness, I'd say.
My English sucks, but I feel she could use an editor who fixes her English a little, but from what I gather it's not her native language, so I'd give her some leeway in that department...?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

papillon wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: He is the sort who internalizes a lot. I say I'm scared shitless but I do try to keep that hidden. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. And I will PM "bend your ear" should the need arise (thank you).
I hope things start to look a little less dark after the results are through.
I can't offer much in the way of advice, except relate an anecdote about my mum's experience with cancer.
Three years ago she got a red flag/inconclusive test results for bowel cancer. A biopsy was arranged and months passed. During the waiting time, she became very stressed and pretty weak but didn't mention to anyone to save us the worry.
Test results come back - excellent prognosis. We all breathed a sigh of relief.
Two months later she died suddenly.
During the months of uncertainty and stress, she had developed a duodenal ulcer which eventually ruptured.
I mention this not to freak you out, but to urge you both to have open dialogue and not to internalise anything. Rather than saving each other undue worry, you'll both benefit.
It was a cruel lesson, but it was something I'd never considered before.
TL;DR Take care of yourselves!
I'll try my damnedest to keep us talking. I'm the queen of stress-out over here so it'll take me a bit to not let it get to me. Thanks for relating your story. That can't have been easy (then or now).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

lost control wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:2. Boy George just tweeted me :D
Isn't he the one that quite often runs into stores? Or am I mixing the celebs up?

Anyway, that's kinda awesome.
Hmm, I don't know. But, yeah, kinda awesome :D

lost control

Post by lost control »

ReneeHendricks wrote::D Just got my guy on a bad day. Usually our "pet" names for each other are "bitch" and "asshole".
Awwe, that's cute.

We're so unoriginal: "sugar" and "honey", but actually the English words, cause we both can't stand pet names (especially those in our native language, which other couples tend to employ, they get only dragged out when being really stupid or sarcastic). Anyway, basically only used in writing, and they're ok, as they're Amos song titles, too. Hmm, now I realize we usually don't even call us by our given names at all. Weird. But as we're mostly together with no one else around "you" is just perfect. Hah.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:No, I've just absolutely no idea what you're talking about, unless you were in Germany in 1945-47 or thereabouts. Please, describe for me what a honey-trap situation entails, here and now.
Honey Trap - the use of sex or seduction for nefarious purposes.
Yes it does. Soldiers in Germany have been warned to be aware of propositions by young women to leave their friends and go to other locations. There have been incidents where said soldiers have been beaten up and robbed.

I'm surprised you are questioning this, have you never served in a Garrison location? This is not new information.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Renee

My dad's nearly finished his course of chemo for Lymphoma. Might have to see if he needs some radiotherapy afterwards, but so far, things seem to be okay. It's incredible how much he looks like Hunter S Thompson when bald as a coot. Anyways, Feel free to send me a PM about it any time you wish.

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy wrote:
decius wrote:No, I've just absolutely no idea what you're talking about, unless you were in Germany in 1945-47 or thereabouts. Please, describe for me what a honey-trap situation entails, here and now.
Honey Trap - the use of sex or seduction for nefarious purposes.
Yes it does. Soldiers in Germany have been warned to be aware of propositions by young women to leave their friends and go to other locations. There have been incidents where said soldiers have been beaten up and robbed.

I'm surprised you are questioning this, have you never served in a Garrison location? This is not new information.
It is new information to me. I'm questioning it because the relationship between GIs and the locals, at least here in Germany, is described as transcending mere cordiality. I don't doubt that criminals might have occasionally targeted soldiers, but the general picture is a positive one also according to the American (military and civilian) press.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... A620120127

http://www.stripes.com/news/german-loca ... s-1.167869

decius

Post by decius »

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

decius wrote:It is new information to me. I'm questioning it because the relationship between GIs and the locals, at least here in Germany, is described as transcending mere cordiality. I don't doubt that criminals might have occasionally targeted soldiers, but the general picture is a positive one also according to the American (military and civilian) press.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/ ... A620120127

http://www.stripes.com/news/german-loca ... s-1.167869
No one is disputing that the general relationship between soldiers and locals is fairly good (notwithstanding Colchester and possibly Rheindahlen!) but drunken, lone soldiers are an easy target in most cases and the incidences of civilian/military friction are higher in locations with a large population of soldiers (shockingly).

It is not unusual in towns near Garrisons to witness signs in bars saying 'no soldiers'.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Not that surprised. Also wouldn't be surprised if its origin is in sexism - small => feminine => bad.
Well, then. To whom do I apologize to for being 6'3"? Oh, and do I get to amend it to "Giant White Cock Of Authority?" Or would it be Giant's "White Cock Of Authority"? Imagine my dilemma...
You'll have to apologize to me. I'm less heighty than you.
I don't have the conversion memorized from metric to your fucked up system, but I'm only 5' sumthin.
CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

But from my point of view you shall be granted the enhanced title of Giant, if I may be the assigned Dwarf? But only with the addition of Aryan - yeah fine, heavily balding since turning 18 and shaving my longish hair off for military service and practical reasons, but very blond and blue eyed with a touch of grey, I guess I'm such a Nazi... *pfft*

Oh, shit. I just remembered, don't you use a wheel chair at times? Well, on those occasions, I'll check my privilege, but you stay the giant. ;)

Fuck, and I thought small and petite was a turn on for some. (Wouldn't that be a from of privilege?) It can be a turn for me [depending on personality], but I hope I'll never really anger one of the smallest gals I know. She's very capable of "fucking you into the ground" verbally. Darn, one of the strongest-minded but caring persons I had the luck to meet. And she didn't mind holding my hand while I was that depressive sobbing waste of flesh not too long ago. Well, being home for two weeks I might manage to find time to meet her and thank her again.

Altair

Post by Altair »

John Brown wrote:
I don't have any information or first-hand experience with cancer, so I'm just going to reiterate what John said. I know most of us are far away from each other, and we've never met personally, but if you need to talk, to vent or find something we can help you, you can count on me (and surely on everyone else here, I just don't want to speak for someone other than myself).

I hope things get better, and stay strong.

lost control

Post by lost control »

I'd so do the dishes. Like afterwards.
To be honest, I'd buy a dish washer, but only if she promises to still dress up like that.

/misogyny attempt.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:@Renee

My dad's nearly finished his course of chemo for Lymphoma. Might have to see if he needs some radiotherapy afterwards, but so far, things seem to be okay. It's incredible how much he looks like Hunter S Thompson when bald as a coot. Anyways, Feel free to send me a PM about it any time you wish.
I hope everything goes well with your dad. I'm a lymphoma survivor myself(Hodgkins-the least bad kind)and I've also worked as a radiation therapist, so if there's anyway I can help just let me know.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sorry to hear this Renee. Somehow I missed your post and responded to Tgzy's response to it. As i told him, I'm a lymphoma survivor and I've also worked in cancer clinics, so if you have any questions I could answer please let me know.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Who needs feminism?

Not this man.