Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Oh Dear...

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tigzy wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: I saw it on Skepsheiks site and presumed the "famous atheist" referred to Richard Dawkins.
http://skepsheik.blogspot.se/2012/10/se ... ed-by.html

If that is the original source I guess the picture isn't sexist after all. ;)
I notice Skepsheik didn't give a link to the picture - and it's nowhere (that I can see, anyway) on the RDF store. http://store.richarddawkins.net/

Looks to me like the pic is bollocks - a put-up job to makethe RDF look bad, for whatever reason.
Skepsheik, from what I read there, seems to be a lulz blog. Not a totally bad one as it is, and I wonder how FTB will spin it once they see the pics here...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Skepsheik's first post and self description:
We put the fun in fundamentalism and the hip in hypocrisy
http://skepsheik.blogspot.se/2012/07/skepsheiks.html

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Skepsheik's first post and self description:
We put the fun in fundamentalism and the hip in hypocrisy
But no links in evid-um...ince, it seems. :think:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Well, I tried to take my own advice, and I went to enter Justin as witch of the week ending Sept 30, on Phawrongula (http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Phawrongula_Wiki) using my summary, but I'm a few coffees short of figuring out the wiki's edit mode. Maybe later today. I'll have to look for links anyways first. But, if anyone wants to jump in and do it themselves, I wouldn't mind a bit! And if you like my summary, feel free to use it. :)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I DON'T CARE ABOUT NO LINKIES!!!111ELEBEN!!!

Just for this, they stole my heart:
Official Apology from Skep Sheik

It is with great regret that I must now address the fact that I labeled the recent "Are You Fem Enough" picture of Rebecca Watson as "The Ke$ha of Atheism".

I realize now the hurt I have caused by callously describing a talented and caring individual in this way.

Many young women and girls look up to her as a positive role model and the likening of her to such a shallow celebrity wannabe was, quite simply, wrong.

I hereby sincerely apologize.

Sorry Ke$ha
http://skepsheik.blogspot.se/2012/08/re ... ology.html

Yeah, I'm pretty easy when it comes to comedy...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Phil

Ah...I think I'm 'getting it' now, as regards that sexually objectifying pic.

Need more nicotine to aid with better satire detection...

No linky required on the part of Skepsheik...I think... :?

decius

Re: Phonyringtonelala $$--??

Post by decius »

Scented Nectar wrote: Yes. I made a video about it, and soon after that, Brayton's comments started showing ads on some, but not all, so he must have heard about it and was setting them up on his comments. Then PZ's turned from some comments having ads, to all having ads, to some again. They must have been fucking with the settings and had downtimes for their ads, I figure. Here's the video I made about it a couple months ago, from before Brayton's comments were showing ads too. It was just PZ at this point
Interesting, thanks.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Who, where, what, why...etc is this from? Context please?

oolon**

Post by oolon** »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ohoh, seems like Oolon might get in a bit of trouble (I really hope not, though):

Jose to Oolon:
And I don’t like your going to the slyme pit to call FTB bloggers baboons and then coming over here to call them nutty haters.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-125289

And I kinda have to agree with Jose, there. It's just weird.
Oolon's behavior explained by xkcd

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/atheists.png

There is one good thing about his behavior - he's managed to bring the slymepit and FFTB together on one point - we both agree that oolon is a dishonest twat.
I agree entirely with the xkcd sentiment and you have my blessing to consider me whatever part of female anatomy you like (Oolon is an ovary has a nice alliteration'y sound to it) - I think anyone not getting involved in any way could be rightly criticised that way. But it is not a great reason to take sides so far you involve yourself in hateful obsession or behaviour IMO. I've made it clear I don't agree with 90+% of what you lot say and do and agree with 90+% of what is said and done at FtBs... I think that is clear from what I've said on here...

I find it hard to believe Jose is that lacking in an irony meter (No idea who he/she is tho)... I can believe it of Tuvok however.
Of course I'm talking about the Baboons here as they are sooo keen to paper over their doc-dropping, Ladens and insults while moaning about Justin Vacula? Or am I talking about the Pittizens and their microscopic interest in any mis-step by the FtB-Skepchicks and rational justifications for errors their side?
That 'Baboon' bit was obviously said in parody! Especially as I made my thoughts about Justin Vacula clear... Anyway what is so bad about calling anyone a Baboon? Other than some here do it... Not exactly a slur or anything, I would have thought it would be Pharyngula approved as a non-slur insult if no one here used it.

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Peezus gets a mention in today's Graun in an otherwise tedious and predictable Grawn Dawkins basher by Michael Ruse. I can only think they knock these out for the page hits; as commenter BarabbasFreed says "Ah. The name. The photo. The huge long thread and lots of clicks. Gotta love it".

Ruse hilariously refers to Hitch as "Peter Hitchens" (fixed now, but evidenced in the comments) and is butt-hurt by the fact that "The Minnesota biologist PZ Myers, who writes the blog Pharyngula, has referred to [him] as a "clueless gobshite".

(I see this is a potted version of an article in Aeon magazine, whatever that is.)

The Pelagic Argosy

Post by The Pelagic Argosy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Who, where, what, why...etc is this from? Context please?
This conversation.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oolon:
That 'Baboon' bit was obviously said in parody! Especially as I made my thoughts about Justin Vacula clear... Anyway what is so bad about calling anyone a Baboon? Other than some here do it... Not exactly a slur or anything, I would have thought it would be Pharyngula approved as a non-slur insult if no one here used it.
You might just be starting to 'get it'. Keep up the good work!

Argosy: meh. I don't really care about MRAs. I thought it was something more juicy, although the "deserve to be beaten" bit is not my kind of interraction with people.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Come see my blurry, and unnaturally enhanced, autumn pictures, taken from the laziness of my balcony!
http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ronto.html

http://www.scentednectar.com/blogpics/0 ... s-here.png

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

Benfromcan'tanddon't

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Zvan’s Anti-Vacula Petition

Post by JackRayner »

Got lots to catch up with, since my woman banning me from the internet lyphe and the start of another school quarter has kept me away from the pit. I'll start here though;
Steersman wrote:Why not, for example, call some supposed misogynist an AK47 as that too could probably be construed as “dangerous to a woman’s health”
[Pretend-Outrage]

I OBJECT! Men, by far, outnumber women who've been killed by AK's, and all of their variants. :snooty:

[/Pretend-Outrage]

JackRayner

Re: Mars vs Venus

Post by JackRayner »

Michael K Gray wrote:
astrokid.nj wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: She deals with a minor subset of the topic at 13min+, but avoids the point of the staggeringly significant risk of dying in childbirth! (Amongst the many other physiological hazards during pregnancy)
It is precisely this risk that I am proposing affects female instinctual psychology.
GWW does not deal with this huge risk in any meaningful way, but insouciantly assumes that a healthy child will be born, and then goes on to discuss the attendent consequences of mate choices from there on.
The nearest I can find is this...
On Objectification
Thanks for the transcript, I really appreciate it. (Femscribe+ ?!)
That merely reinforces my previous concern, in that GWW assumes that the pregnancy & childbirth presents a negligible cost, and concentrates on what the costs are after a magically healthy infant is then born without fuss or problems!
The terrible historic medical hazards presented by the 9 months of pregnancy, and the often fatal parturition process appears to be off her radar.
It is these hazards that females in primitive tribes get to see on a regular basis, (even today), that must surely play on their psyche to an enormous extent.
Seeing one's sisters, one's mother, aunts etc, slowly but surely dying during a very painful birth, or giving birth to monsters, or dying mid-term through auto-abortions, was (and still is) a regular occurrence away from effective medical care.
I would have thought that THESE ever-present fatal hazards are far more costly than giving birth to a healthy child to an absent beta male!
I was correct: GWW has not addressed this huge issue at all.
The HUGUMGOUS differential health COSTS & fatal risks of pregnancy & childbirth is the elephant in the room as far as the attitudes of potentially fertile females versus males toward fucking.
Far more profound than mating with a beta male.
How then, do you explain reluctance to mate from the females (or, hell, even just the female half of hermaphroditic species) of many other species? :think: I fully admit that I haven't looked at the rates of child-birth related deaths in other species, but I'm sure they happen... And something tells me that, in the great majority of these, there is no cognitive process comparable to "I saw Molly die due to her pregnancy, so I'm going to avoid becoming pregnant as best I can!"

What do you think about this?

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

By the way, SPACKlick, The False Pooka blocked me from commenting on his videos after I called him out on his message deleting. I'm planning on making and posting a video on it later. It'll be the first video response I ever make, and it might be the last. [Will probably have to ask GWW to host the response.] Also the first for my current user channel. Had some on a past channel that I deleted, but they were essentially vacation videos. [If videos of me riding the gun turret of a military truck through Iraq with a loaded crew-served weapon could qualify as such...]

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Jean Kazez drinking ever more deeply of the intellect-free Flavor-aid:

http://kazez.blogspot.ca/2012/10/guilt- ... ation.html

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Rebbecca Watson, in a truly spell-binding post of two-faced baffle-gab, finds The Truth:

http://skepchick.org/2012/10/the-value-of-truth/

Watson says:
I believe that truth has inherent value and that skepticism is most crucially applied to the things we want to believe.
Who'd a thunkit?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Jean Kazez drinking ever more deeply of the intellect-free Flavor-aid:

I wonder whether she’s done a survey and assessed the perspectives of all those who might be posting on “White Guys R Us” and Stormy Front and A Voice for Men ….

And I wonder whether Kazez might be able to broker a deal with Jehovah for him to not destroy the reputations of people posting on such sites and the sites themselves if she can find “even ten righteous people” who post on said sites ….

God, I love the smell of self-righteousness in the morning ….

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

John Greg wrote:Jean Kazez drinking ever more deeply of the intellect-free Flavor-aid:

I assume this is supposed to be in defense of those who claim individual X is a misogynist because they post on a website Y, which is claimed by some to be misogynistic?

I think that before they even attempt to reach a conclusion about individual X, [whose behavior isn't even misogynistic] they first need to prove that website Y is what they claim it is. By this logic, wouldn't everyone on Twitter be a misogynist too? :)

Munkhaus

Post by Munkhaus »

John Greg wrote:Rebbecca Watson, in a truly spell-binding post of two-faced baffle-gab, finds The Truth:

Watson says:
I believe that truth has inherent value and that skepticism is most crucially applied to the things we want to believe.
Who'd a thunkit?
The myriad levels of irony and hypocrisy weaving through that post, like huge, misty chinese dragons doing battle is almost too much for my feeble brain to contain.
To top it off nicely, Tracy "I was once longlisted for something" King comments that she has received abuse for "asking questions".
Hyperskeptic- reversal! What a move! Has the universe imploded?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

This was in the news in Kanukistan yesterday. I was boggling because I had no idea that this sort of thing had been going on at all.

California bans teenage gay conversion therapy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19789505
California Governor Jerry Brown has signed into law a ban on therapy aimed at making gay teenagers straight.
I can only imagine the effect that this sort of nonsense would have had on my childhood friend had he been subjected to this "therapy" as a teen.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19789505
California Governor Jerry Brown has signed into law a ban on therapy aimed at making gay teenagers straight.
I can only imagine the effect that this sort of nonsense would have had on my childhood friend had he been subjected to this "therapy" as a teen.
Still have this one my "Watch Later". Have only gotten through the first part of these, but from what I watched so far, I think it paints a decent picture of what can happen to those subjected to that type of therapy...

[youtube]pqc7iAPsCzU[/youtube]

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Dipping my toe in the slyme pit. Apparent indefensible rape apologist & chill girl here -- questioned Rebecca Watson why she thinks violent humor she participates in is okay, but reddit is a horrible pool of rape threats. After she called me a twit, I called her a bitch. I'm currently the founder and one of two members of my very own atheist club in the Sacramento area. (Davis Area FreeThinkers, or D.A.F.T.). Glad to be here.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tkmlac wrote:Dipping my toe in the slyme pit. Apparent indefensible rape apologist & chill girl here -- questioned Rebecca Watson why she thinks violent humor she participates in is okay, but reddit is a horrible pool of rape threats. After she called me a twit, I called her a bitch. I'm currently the founder and one of two members of my very own atheist club in the Sacramento area. (Davis Area FreeThinkers, or D.A.F.T.). Glad to be here.
Welcome. A sense of humor is mandatory which your D.A.F.T. obviously indicates and without which one could not possibly survive reading much of FTB/Skepchick/AtheismPlus …. :-)

lost control

Post by lost control »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
AKAHorace wrote: Wait, Jason is claiming that Justin Vacula gave out Surly Amy's home address ? Is this true ?
Yes...

...sort of - what he actually did was post a link to a publicly accessible site which gave the address.
And an image of the building, IIRC.
No, actually, he didn't out anywone, if you didn't stalk him. *doh*. :p

Yeah, Justin so outed dipshit Amy's public business address. I'm sorry, but skepchick gets prefaced by dipshit now. I mean, like he really had to work hard to get her public business address.

Still, I might disrember what the actual address was, cause I didn't give a shit...

I still don't give a shit, but right now it took me like two minutes to get Sulky whatever's current business address. No, I won't post it, but getting her address is like a google query away, yeah, it's that fucking hard *shiver*. iirc, the search string was 'surlyramics address' and then it was only a matter of clicking on idiotic webPages.
No, actually it was 'surlyramics address trademark'.
And the result points to 'http://www.trademarkia.com'.
Oh, watever, it's 'http://www.trademarkia.com/surlyramics-85345167.html'

So, yeah, I doc-dropped a business address right now. If that's wrong... Oh fuck for any OSS license.
Whatever. Oh fuck, I right now did what I never wanted too. Who gives a shit?
Lemme guess Prune, Bee, * and at lest other idiots.

Steersman

Re: Oh Dear...

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Oops, big mistake by the marketing department of the Richard Dawkins foundation.

If you are being accused of misogyny then the last thing you should be doing is using sexually objectifying pictures like this when selling your trinkets.

Lets hope that the FTB crowd don't spot this, it's practically exhibit A.
http://i.imgur.com/gG02L.jpg
How odd. Did this definitely come from the RDF site?
I saw it on Skepsheiks site and presumed the "famous atheist" referred to Richard Dawkins.
http://skepsheik.blogspot.se/2012/10/se ... ed-by.html

If that is the original source I guess the picture isn't sexist after all. ;)
I wonder whether Stefunny might now decide to give Amy a hard-time for using “booth babes” since she apparently wanted to prevent their use at various conventions ….

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Thanks again for all the support including e-mails (and donations!) to the SCA if anyone here sent them.
Many have questioned about my health and expressed concern elsewhere.
I am fine although am very exhausted and have a headache.

So some updates:

The PA State Atheist/Humanist Conference I spoke at this weekend was phenomenal. The organizers did a stellar job, especially for the first conference they organized, and I met some really great people - many of whom told me that the event was their first 'secular event' even when considering local meetings. People from diverse political viewpoints were happy to work together and engage (?) in fellowship for a secular cause (and fun!). Many even were very much unaware of internet drama or flat-out told me that they were sick of it to the point where they stopped reading it and following particular persons. I was very well-received and I thought my speech went very well. Sharon Hill asked me a great question in the Q&A which should be a future blog post of mine (you'll find out what...or you can 'cyberstalk' me on Twitter!) and I very happily livetweeted her talk and panel experience. Finally, I interviewed and had dinner with a very gracious Dan Barker from the FFRF and then returned home - podcast with him to come :)

Also, Emily Dietle has offered a very reasonable blog post concerning my SCA nomination and the controversy which ensued. The comments are building up, too, including Greg Laden, Watson, Karla Porter and others.

http://emilyhasbooks.com/second-chances/

***'
,,,and at risk of another debate here on tone, language, I would request to not heap abuse on my detractors no matter what they say. Attack ideas, not persons has been my mantra for a great majority of time when considering public disagreements. Take it or leave it...and thanks again.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

JackRayner wrote:How then, do you explain reluctance to mate from the females (or, hell, even just the female half of hermaphroditic species) of many other species? :think: I fully admit that I haven't looked at the rates of child-birth related deaths in other species, but I'm sure they happen... And something tells me that, in the great majority of these, there is no cognitive process comparable to "I saw Molly die due to her pregnancy, so I'm going to avoid becoming pregnant as best I can!"

What do you think about this?
I can see why you raise it, but to amplify your speculation:
One MUST refer to species who are cognitively able to recognise that they are female "put themselves in another female's place" and imagine that what other females experience is likely their fate.
They MUST cognitively connect the act of copulation with the risk of pregnancy, of course.
Those who regularly accidentally die in giving birth.
And those who have mutually cryptic ovulation.
(To name but 3 of scores of necessary caveats by which to make any sane comparison with homo sapiens.)
This dramatically reduces the pool of species down to at most a handful, more more realistically: just one.
And for that putative residue that has been previously mentioned I, and others have already comprehensively dismissed them.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

justinvacula wrote: Finally, I interviewed and had dinner with a very gracious Dan Barker from the FFRF and then returned home - podcast with him to come :)
Oh Dear, looks like Dan Barker is going to be the next Witch Of The Week.

windy

Post by windy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I don't know what the rest of you think but my thoughts on of the first four or five years of Skepchicks (the TAM parties, the body shots from strippers, the skeptics in the pub parties, the naked calenders etc) is that it's about as close a definition of 'chill girls' as you can imagine.
In other words they are projecting their anger towards other women over what they remember themselves doing and now consider shameful.
Whether the other woman in question is doing things in such a blatant attention whoring manner as the earlier Skepchicks is not the question. They percieve every action as being to garner attention - because that is the only way they see things.
Could be, some of them sound a bit like members of the "ex-gay" movement. "I lived the lifestyle and I hated every cock-chasing moment of it!"
real horrorshow wrote: I did like one bit of Tibo's wibble though:
He is a leader only of brigands
Brigands eh? Cool. Once again the FCs coin an insult that sounds like a complement, like 'Chill Girl'.
We few, we happy few, we band of brigands?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

justinvacula wrote:***
Also, Emily Dietle has offered a very reasonable blog post concerning my SCA nomination and the controversy which ensued. The comments are building up, too, including Greg Laden, Watson, Karla Porter and others.

***'
,,,and at risk of another debate here on tone, language, I would request to not heap abuse on my detractors no matter what they say. Attack ideas, not persons has been my mantra for a great majority of time when considering public disagreements. Take it or leave it...and thanks again.
Yes I see the usual suspects commenting there. My only comment is that one can only hope they do not breed if one believes as I do, that they are genetically incapable of being decent human beings.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tkmlac, welcome, fellow "gender traitor"! :)

Post by Guest »

justinvacula wrote:Thanks again for all the support including e-mails (and donations!) to the SCA if anyone here sent them.
Many have questioned about my health and expressed concern elsewhere.
I am fine although am very exhausted and have a headache.

***'
So Justin in that blog you link to Emily clearly says "So, I did a bit of digging, looked at the concerns of others, and found their claims somewhat substantiated. " ... and ... "He’s a human-being, with feelings, and the ability to grow"

I have to agree with her the claims are somewhat substantiated, especially the AVfM post. Are you really happy to have a post on a site where the owner of the network has some disgusting views on rape? Your post is nicely tagged as coming under "FEMINIST LIES" ... How lovely.
The posting of Surly Amys address on here and an image of the building where she lives - was that attacking the ideas not the person? Was it just a mistake?

You may get a thrill out of being "Witch of the Week" but if you look at the comments there many are agreeing if you back down and apologise then they would withdraw the complaints and see how it goes. I may be wrong but I thought as a leader you need to represent your community more and yourself less. Maybe part of the 'growing' bit she references?

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Tkmlac wrote:Dipping my toe in the slyme pit. Apparent indefensible rape apologist & chill girl here -- questioned Rebecca Watson why she thinks violent humor she participates in is okay, but reddit is a horrible pool of rape threats. After she called me a twit, I called her a bitch. I'm currently the founder and one of two members of my very own atheist club in the Sacramento area. (Davis Area FreeThinkers, or D.A.F.T.). Glad to be here.
Welcome.

It has been noted many times about the apparent double standard between what the Baboons can laugh about, or simply discuss, and everybody else. It has been noted many times about the double standard between their "rage" over supposed doc-dropping, only for them to turn a blind eye to Scurvy Amy/PZ Liars/Twatson doc-dropping on numerous occasions. It has been noted many times about the double standard with regard to their "opposition to bullying", only for them to consistently defend and support someone (Greg Laden) who has a history of bullying, harassing, and sending threats of violence to people.

Finally, it has been noted that they are complete wankstains.

oolon**

Post by oolon** »

** Gah! Guest above is oolon if you had not realised... Bloody login on here is irretrievable.

Anyway Crommunist puts it a lot better than me
We spoke about this "second chances" meme, and it seems that you still haven't accepted the argument that second chances ought to be reserved for those who have shown a willingness to change their behaviour. Justin has not done this. He still thinks that he has done nothing wrong, and that the people who are disturbed by both his actions and his appointment are simply cultivating an unreasonable personal grievance. There is no reason to expect that he will stop his belligerence and harassment, especially now that a national organization (with absolutely no vetting) has elevated him to a position of authority. I do not share your assessment that second chances should be given to everyone regardless of their behaviour or their future plans, nor do I expect "growth" to happen spontaneously out of the goodness of their hearts.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Justin didn't dox Amy. He was accused of trying to get her personal info by counterfiling with the DMCA business so he could dox her. His response was basically "I can't dox her because she's already doxxed herself. See?"

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Guest wrote: The posting of Surly Amys address on here and an image of the building where she lives - was that attacking the ideas not the person? Was it just a mistake?
Dear Slimy Turd,
you know what happened and why regarding Scurvy Amy's address so you are deliberately misrepresenting it. I don't see why anybody here should pay you any attention.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Welcome! And to any lurking!

(seems like we have more registered than actively post which I'm curious about because guests are allowed to post too)

LMU

Post by LMU »

JV recognized that making Amy's info easier to find was wrong (even if it only took a minute of googling to find) so it was removed at his request. Sounds like improvement to me?

astrokid.nj

Represent your community, like PeeZus does

Post by astrokid.nj »

oolon** wrote:You may get a thrill out of being "Witch of the Week" but if you look at the comments there many are agreeing if you back down and apologise then they would withdraw the complaints and see how it goes. I may be wrong but I thought as a leader you need to represent your community more and yourself less. Maybe part of the 'growing' bit she references?
Justin, Yeah.. represent your community more.. like 'listen to the women' PeeZus does.. and represent yourself less.. let your own person die and become a toilet slave like PeeZus.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

LMU wrote:Justin didn't dox Amy. He was accused of trying to get her personal info by counterfiling with the DMCA business so he could dox her. His response was basically "I can't dox her because she's already doxxed herself. See?"
Oolong, the above is true. Do you still think that Justin docdropped anyone?

windy

Post by windy »

Michael K Gray wrote:
JackRayner wrote:How then, do you explain reluctance to mate from the females (or, hell, even just the female half of hermaphroditic species) of many other species? :think: I fully admit that I haven't looked at the rates of child-birth related deaths in other species, but I'm sure they happen... And something tells me that, in the great majority of these, there is no cognitive process comparable to "I saw Molly die due to her pregnancy, so I'm going to avoid becoming pregnant as best I can!"
I can see why you raise it, but to amplify your speculation:
One MUST refer to species who are cognitively able to recognise that they are female "put themselves in another female's place" and imagine that what other females experience is likely their fate.
They MUST cognitively connect the act of copulation with the risk of pregnancy, of course.
Those who regularly accidentally die in giving birth.
And those who have mutually cryptic ovulation.
(To name but 3 of scores of necessary caveats by which to make any sane comparison with homo sapiens.)
This dramatically reduces the pool of species down to at most a handful, more more realistically: just one.
And for that putative residue that has been previously mentioned I, and others have already comprehensively dismissed them.
The problem with the 'sex avoidance instinct' is that (as you noted previously), the risks of childbirth were pretty much inescapable in pre-modern societies. Therefore any female who was to pass on their genes would have had to face them, so it's not clear that sex-avoidance would have had a selective benefit. On the other hand who they had sex with would have been something the individual could much more readily affect with their own behavior. (For balancing the risks of childbirth with reproduction, prolonged breastfeeding would have been much more effective in spacing births, and that is what we do observe in extant hunter-gatherer societies)

It's theoretically possible that there would be selection for general female reluctance to mate in a species where sexual coercion was routine so that females get impregnated anyway (mallard ducks, or some of those hermaphroditic critters, would be better candidates than humans), but it's much more common for females (and males as well) to be selective about when and where and who with to mate.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

John Greg wrote:Rebbecca Watson, in a truly spell-binding post of two-faced baffle-gab, finds The Truth:

Watson says:
Who'd a thunkit?
Next up, a thousand word treatise from Jason Thibblededoo decrying Watson's hyper-skepticism, right? Right?

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Why would anybody apologize to a group that takes offense at everything that disagrees with them (even imaginary things)? You know if an apology was given one of them would pipe up that it wasn't sincere enough, or it wasn't a real apology because they still disagree, still speak to certain people, etc.

The only response warranted would be "I have a ball. Perhaps you would like to bounce it?"

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

I mean jesus fuck oolong? Are you retarded?

Amy DMCAs everyone who writes negative posts about her. Not EVERYONE who uses her images. Not the people who use her images plugging her wares. She ONLY DMCAed people who criticized her.

Lets just totally ignore whether Justins use was fair use. What is important is that Justin thought his use was fair use, so he filed a counter claim.

He was accused of ONLY filing a counter claim to get Amys name/addy/etc, when that info is publicly available via a simple Google search. Not 'if you know the right sites to go to'. Not 'if you pay $19.99 you can get the info' sites. Not anything illegal or underhanded. A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH brings up her home address, which makes the accusation that Justin ONLY filed a counter claim to d0x STUPID.

Which brings me to two primary issues that have yet to be addressed by Amy, Watson, Myers, Svan, et ass:

1-- Amy ONLY filed DMCAs on people using her images in posts that criticized her. Amy did NOT follow through on one, ONE, of those DMCA claims. Those two facts lead one to the conclusion that Amy ONLY filed those DMCAs in the hopes of using the legal system to intimidate critics into silence. It doesnt matter whether Justins use of the image is fair use or not, because AMY didnt think she had the legal right to DMCA him, or else SHE WOULD HAVE DONE IT. Her plan wasnt for anyone to file a counter claim. Her plan was SILENCE DISSENT.

What do we call it when Creationists use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when anti-vaxers use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when chiropractors use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when Surly Amy uses DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What Amy did was BULLSHIT regardless of her gender. Regardless of her BFFs. Regardless of her atheism.

2-- When the targets of Amys BULLSHIT DMCAs (remember, she followed up on a grand total of ZERO claims!) didnt just bend over and take it, they were make targets even further. Exhibit A: Justin. Exhibit B: Elevatorgate. When he filed a counter claim, Amy Roth DID NOT follow through with the DMCA. SHE LEAKED AN ANON COMMENTORS REAL-LIFE INFO ON THE INTERNET. Information NOT readily found by a simple Google search. Information provided to her via the counter claim.

What do we call it when Creationists maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when anti-vaxers maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when chiropractors maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when Surly Amy maliciously drops the real info of an anon dissenter? BULLSHIT.

What Amy did was BULLSHIT regardless of her gender. Regardless of her BFFs. Regardless of her atheism.

Surly Amy has NO defense for her actions, so her retard-in-arms come to her defense by going on the offense.

BULLSHIT.

And you have to be a fucking idiot not to 'get it'.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love it when Abbie slaps the Baboons with logic and facts!

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

JackRayner wrote:

I assume this is supposed to be in defense of those who claim individual X is a misogynist because they post on a website Y, which is claimed by some to be misogynistic?

I think that before they even attempt to reach a conclusion about individual X, [whose behavior isn't even misogynistic] they first need to prove that website Y is what they claim it is. By this logic, wouldn't everyone on Twitter be a misogynist too? :)
Everyone who disagrees with a fembot is a misogynist, you know that! Kazez's entire argument is a nonsense. People are 'guilty' of what they do, not what others do. Even if person A provokes or encourages person B to do a thing, person A is 'guilty' only of the provocation, person B is 'guilty' of whatever they did. Kazez though, isn't even citing provocation. She's saying: 'if you associate with people who do X, you are guilty of X', and that is guilt by association however much she denies it. This woman holds an academic post in philosophy? She couldn't pass basic logic on this evidence!
Munkhaus wrote:

Watson says:
Who'd a thunkit?
The myriad levels of irony and hypocrisy weaving through that post, like huge, misty chinese dragons doing battle is almost too much for my feeble brain to contain.
To top it off nicely, Tracy "I was once longlisted for something" King comments that she has received abuse for "asking questions".
Hyperskeptic- reversal! What a move! Has the universe imploded?
I particularly liked this bit:
the name of the site apparently comes from a quotation by former Guardian editor CP Scott: “Comment is free, but facts are sacred.”
That’s a sentiment I quite like. Facts are sacred, but stories are not – not even the stories of victims.
My italics. To which I can only respond: Rebecca, are there any mirrors in your house?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

real horrorshow wrote:This woman holds an academic post in philosophy? She couldn't pass basic logic on this evidence!
Abuse of basic logic is such a ubiquitous syndrome amongst Professional Philosophers that it must surely be classed as an acquired pathology.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

justinvacula wrote:

Reasonable? You're being far too charitable, JV. Patronising bilge from a self-righteous bint, I call it. What, exactly, have you done that requires as 'second chance' in her oh so pristine and glacial estimation? Well, I guess not being like her kinda people, I suppose. One minor slip-up involving Surly Amy's address, which - as I said at the time - was probably not a great idea, but hardly a piece of nefarious doxxing on the level of what that muslim guy (I forget who he is - in which case: keep up the good work, muslim bloke) did to Thunderf00t. After all, Amy's info was in the public domain. Just like the addresses and one phone number of two people very prominent in in the FfTB/Skepchick/A+ sphere, which I found after five minutes of half-assed interwebbing because I was bored. Course, I'm not going to give this info out. Not a fan of it, even if the info is very easily acquirable. Unless either one of these people does a very norty bit of real doxxing themselves, of course. :twisted: So if you're reading this and you think it's you, be nice!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BTW for anyone interested there is a post up at A Voice for Men taking Paul to task on his stance of jury nullification for all rape cases.

AVfM Nullification Debate Part II
http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for ... e-part-ii/
Back to my earlier query: why not vote to acquit in any and all criminal cases? Elam’s reasoning is just as applicable in murder trials as it is in rape trials. But, no reasonable person would wish to set any and all defendants free.Jury duty is an important and difficult task. If called to serve, one must look at the evidence carefully, disregard emotion and visceral reactions, and determine the facts as best as possible. If reasonable doubt exists, then by all means, acquit.
Very well done Amanda Marcott et. al. Congrats! Thanks to the endless promotion of you and your ilk this is the result.

This is the flip side of the stance that to be accused of rape is to be presumed guilty and a trial is a waste of time. In my view this emerging trend in the manosphere to view rape charges as false 50% to 90% in all cases is rooted in that attitude.

Remember what I stated earlier about how quickly social mores can change? This is just one of them. Are you afraid yet? You should be.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I love it when Abbie slaps the Baboons with logic and facts!
Oh dear, rather inconvient that. Logic and Facts... from a woman (she who must be obeyed) yet.

What will oolong do now. He has to listen to the women right? Right?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote:You may get a thrill out of being "Witch of the Week" but if you look at the comments there many are agreeing if you back down and apologise then they would withdraw the complaints and see how it goes. I may be wrong but I thought as a leader you need to represent your community more and yourself less. Maybe part of the 'growing' bit she references?
Something you do not appear to fathom "Guest" is when I consider the source it is trivial to dismiss anything they have to say. They are in no position to judge anyone much less Justin.

Finally, the author of the post condems herself with these words:
along with a petition for his removal, from persons it should be noted that I respect and admire
It is quite clear that these people, like yourself seriously believe that your views are worth considering. They are not. So do not be surprised when they are ignored.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:
justinvacula wrote:

Reasonable? You're being far too charitable, JV. Patronising bilge from a self-righteous bint, I call it. What, exactly, have you done that requires as 'second chance' in her oh so pristine and glacial estimation? Well, I guess not being like her kinda people, I suppose. One minor slip-up involving Surly Amy's address, which - as I said at the time - was probably not a great idea, but hardly a piece of nefarious doxxing on the level of what that muslim guy (I forget who he is - in which case: keep up the good work, muslim bloke) did to Thunderf00t. After all, Amy's info was in the public domain. Just like the addresses and one phone number of two people very prominent in in the FfTB/Skepchick/A+ sphere, which I found after five minutes of half-assed interwebbing because I was bored. Course, I'm not going to give this info out. Not a fan of it, even if the info is very easily acquirable. Unless either one of these people does a very norty bit of real doxxing themselves, of course. :twisted: So if you're reading this and you think it's you, be nice!
Just shows you how nice a guy Justin is - as soon as I heard that this individual respected people like Myers and his ilk....lost all respect and knew there wouldn't be a fair hearing of anything. I'd love to see the evidence for the harassment, plus please, please let us hear all about the numerous credible death threats to poor Squirrelly Amy - and the police reports to go with them. Does anyone think Amy is worth the effort to even make a fake threat, let alone the effort to make a real one or even carry it out? She's not worth the time or the effort - these baboons need to get over themselves - they really aren't that important.

Reap

Post by Reap »

AndrewV69 wrote:This was in the news in Kanukistan yesterday. I was boggling because I had no idea that this sort of thing had been going on at all.

California bans teenage gay conversion therapy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19789505
I too missed this
GO JERRY! Funny - who'd a thunk Jerry Brown, a skinny hippie, could beat the living fuck outta Arnold. They should make an action movie outta this shit

Reap

Post by Reap »

ERV wrote:I mean jesus fuck oolong? Are you retarded?

Amy DMCAs everyone who writes negative posts about her. Not EVERYONE who uses her images. Not the people who use her images plugging her wares. She ONLY DMCAed people who criticized her.

Lets just totally ignore whether Justins use was fair use. What is important is that Justin thought his use was fair use, so he filed a counter claim.

He was accused of ONLY filing a counter claim to get Amys name/addy/etc, when that info is publicly available via a simple Google search. Not 'if you know the right sites to go to'. Not 'if you pay $19.99 you can get the info' sites. Not anything illegal or underhanded. A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH brings up her home address, which makes the accusation that Justin ONLY filed a counter claim to d0x STUPID.

Which brings me to two primary issues that have yet to be addressed by Amy, Watson, Myers, Svan, et ass:

1-- Amy ONLY filed DMCAs on people using her images in posts that criticized her. Amy did NOT follow through on one, ONE, of those DMCA claims. Those two facts lead one to the conclusion that Amy ONLY filed those DMCAs in the hopes of using the legal system to intimidate critics into silence. It doesnt matter whether Justins use of the image is fair use or not, because AMY didnt think she had the legal right to DMCA him, or else SHE WOULD HAVE DONE IT. Her plan wasnt for anyone to file a counter claim. Her plan was SILENCE DISSENT.

What do we call it when Creationists use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when anti-vaxers use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when chiropractors use DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when Surly Amy uses DMCAs in disingenuous attempt to silence dissent? BULLSHIT.

2-- When the targets of Amys BULLSHIT DMCAs (remember, she followed up on a grand total of ZERO claims!) didnt just bend over and take it, they were make targets even further. Exhibit A: Justin. Exhibit B: Elevatorgate. When he filed a counter claim, Amy Roth DID NOT follow through with the DMCA. SHE LEAKED AN ANON COMMENTORS REAL-LIFE INFO ON THE INTERNET. Information NOT readily found by a simple Google search. Information provided to her via the counter claim.

What do we call it when Creationists maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when anti-vaxers maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when chiropractors maliciously drop the real info of anon dissenters? BULLSHIT.

What do we call it when Surly Amy maliciously drops the real info of an anon dissenter? BULLSHIT.

Surly Amy has NO defense for her actions, so her retard-in-arms come to her defense by going on the offense.

BULLSHIT.

And you have to be a fucking idiot not to 'get it'.

A large group gathers to watch as a hammer hits a nail squarely on the head ,driving it in.... meanwhile back at the ranch....

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I did like how Tuvok pointed out the doc-dropping avtivities (and worse) or Watson, Laden, etc. I somehow missed the response to that, though - I'm sure the baboons and apologists will be along there to explain how that was different.

Butters

Post by Butters »

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qehn2/
Seems appropriate.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2zhl3ko.jpg

If I were Amy, yeah I would be mad that my address was posted whether it was easy to find or not. But she conveniently forgets all of this happened AFTER her patently cynical DMCA claim. But she lives in a secure, newer building, in an area of Hollywood with lots or tourists (therefore lots of nearby police), with plenty of locked entry ways with alarms and cameras. She knows she is in no danger, her neighbors are in no danger, and yet she milks this for all she's got.

It is beneath the actions of an adult

From August 18, 2012
http://oi48.tinypic.com/kdodxg.jpg

I wonder how members of Atheism+ who are not privileged white women think about her take of the LAPD?