Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Pitchguest

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Pitchguest »

Ah, yes, Brownian. I remember when he shat all over Edwin Kagin's blog for his opinion on A+ and for Edwin's lack of moderation, and when you remind Brownian that Edwin doesn't moderate his blog because he doesn't want it to turn into an echo chamber, he says that's exactly why you moderate. Let me see if I can find it.

Ah, here it is. I'll apologise in advance for the plug:
Pitchguest (or PG) wrote:@Brownian

Oh, I’m sorry. It’s called an echochamber because only the same things are allowed to be said. However, I haven’t seen Kagin moderate anyone’s comments on here. Means it doesn’t apply. My bad. I didn’t think I would have to explain these things.
Brownian wrote:I didn’t actually think that you were that simplistic a creature.

So, what do you make of Edwin’s comment here:
And the most thoughtful of blogs, I have learned, can be trashed by morons who do not seem to even understand that which they are attempting to condemn. These commenters, with their limited vocabularies. who haunt blogs they do not appear to even vaguely comprehend can be unconsciously funny.
Because that’s exactly why bloggers moderate.
Don't stop reading just yet. It gets better.
Pitchguest wrote:Let me get this straight: Kagin’s versus echochambers where comments of dissent are moderated because it disturbs the status quo (and incidentally the lovely echo effect). I argue that you hop on back to places like Pharyngula where you won’t find comments you disagree with that makes you uncomfortable, and you argue that because Kagin said the ‘most thoughtful of blogs’ (this) can be trashed by morons (you) is exactly why bloggers moderate?

In other words, you wish for Kagin to remove dissenting comments to create an echochamber?

I guess that’s one way to ensure morons won’t trash the ‘most thoughtful of blogs’, but here’s an idea: instead of creating yet another place where dissenting opinions are not tolerated a la Pharyngula (what was that he said about NatGeo and censorship?), how about not being morons trashing the most thoughtful of blogs? How about not condemning that which you do not seem to comprehend? How about that, Brownian?
I thought this particularly delicious irony. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read Kagin's entry bashing A+ and the comments.

To the question if I know what a prescriptive and descriptive claim means in regards to moderation:
Brownian wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Yes, and what has the longstanding tradition of moderation have to do with our conversation about echochambers? I said Kagin’s blog wasn’t an echochamber and you quoted his comment about the blog being trashed by morons, and then said, “that is exactly why bloggers moderate.” Remember, in the context of echochambers. You can call me dense all you like, but it won’t do you any good if you don’t make sense.
Because, as even you note, the longstanding tradition of moderation is something that many bloggers do to prevent their ” most thoughtful of blogs, [from] being trashed by morons who do not seem to even understand that which they are attempting to condemn.

I’m not presuming to tell Kagin how to prevent this from happening to his posts. He may choose to stop blogging. He may moderate his threads. Or he may just learn to live with it.

As you asked, “how about not being morons trashing the most thoughtful of blogs”, well, if people did that then no one would need to moderate. That’s exactly why other bloggers do it.

Continue to crying “echo chamber” as if it’s some useful metric, but really, it’s just a simplistic, facile and juvenile claim.
Pitchguest wrote:Again, Kagin made the observation that morons trashed his blog for something they apparently did not even understand. He does not moderate his blog. I said I thought it was a good thing that he didn’t so it wouldn’t turn into an echochamber a la Pharyngula. You allude to the fact morons trashed his blog and implied this is exactly why bloggers moderate. You do not presume to tell Kagin how to prevent this from happening. However, Brownian, may I remind you that YOU were part of the morons that trashed his blog? Isn’t it almost parodial that you should suggest more moderation on a blog that isn’t heavily moderated, because morons trashed his blog that you were involved with thus making it necessary to heavily moderate? Is this some meta shit you’re trying out?
Brownian wrote:No, because I did not do that.
He did.
Brownian wrote:And really, can we stop with the ‘trashed his blog’ bullshit?

It’s hyperbolic whining. This guy wants to ‘blaspheme’? He’s going to deal with a lot worse than pissed of FtB commenters. I certainly hope every second post isn’t going to be him crying into his beer, for fuck’s sake.
Pfft hahahahahaha!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/kagin/2012/ ... -recently/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brownian. Thick as horse manure, but not quite as consistent. :lol:

I have to admit, I found it bloody hilarious when someone on one of Tf00t's old FfTB posts threatened to beat him up.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Tigzy wrote:Brownian. Thick as horse manure, but not quite as consistent. :lol:

I have to admit, I found it bloody hilarious when someone on one of Tf00t's old FfTB posts threatened to beat him up.
The Fat Canadian is George Foreman on the internet, George Formby in real life.

acathode

Post by acathode »

No surprise people reacted that way. I said a few posts earlier that when I found FTB the first time, during the tf00t drama, that the FTBers gave me a worse impression than the creationist "stone all homosexual" Muslims I had recently been discussion with... Brownian was the guy that really drove home that impression, he was ferociously attacking everyone and anyone, like a rabid dog frothing at his mouth, for the slightest disagreement, completely unable to even consider anyone else's argument or point. They were WRONG, should check their fucking PRIVILEGE and STFU!

First time I ever saw that kind of hate on a supposedly a/s site, and I'm fairly sure that he alone is a big reason for the FTB's soiled reputation among the "youtube atheists", since that whole affair was the first contact with FTB for quite a few.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The backchannel must be boiling up right now at FTB...
Yep, PZ's anal passage is on fire. :angry-extinguishflame:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:

The Fat Canadian is George Foreman on the internet, George Formby in real life.
I used to find him moderately entertaining. He did say some witty things. But it looks as if he has bought into his own publicity and believes that people really do want to line up for ghey sex with him, and that all of his shit is golden.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The backchannel must be boiling up right now at FTB...
Yep, PZ's anal passage is on fire. :angry-extinguishflame:
Nah, can't be his anus. Sure, it's surrounded by ass hairs and shit comes out of it, but note the wire-rimmed glasses perched above it.

Common mistake.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

http://www.michaelgray.com.au/Resources ... belief.png
"More than disbelief"
I agree with the sentiment.
I can't believe it either.
A+ is BEYOND belief.
It is more than hilarious parody as well.

It is a gated community for mental cripples & social infants, who should be in full-time institutional care.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:I'm editing through The Beaver's 2012 HFA keynote speech and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, THIS IS A KEYNOTE SPEECH? My God, it's an hour of Watson bitching about trolls, mean girls and how people weren't nice to her on the internet. If she was a fat no-life neck beard guy no one would listen to her, but since she's a fat pink-haired no-life Skepchick suddenly arguing on the internet has global consequences.

She complains about someone threatening to put a bullet in her head (been there, princess) and not even ten minutes in, I'm begging for a bullet in the head.

Sacha, do tell.
I mentioned that I would be attending on the original Slime Pit. Asked if there were any requests, like a note.

Of course what bothers her the most is not getting attention, so I posted that in order to get under her skin, I planned to ignore her, and we had a laugh. I'll find the links.

PZ phoned the organiser, telling him someone named "sacha" on a hate forum was planning to attend and that I planned to "cause trouble" and I was a direct threat to Becci's safety.

PZ asked that I be removed from the list and asked that the organiser call Becci to let her know she did not have to worry about her safety, and that I was no longer attending. He called Becci, who wanted to make sure I would not be permitted to attend... blah blah blah

The organiser knew me prior to this, he emailed and told me what was said, asked if they had the wrong person, and wanted my side of things.
I told him about what I posted on the Slime Pit, and the plan was to ignore her, I told him it isn't any secret that I do not like Becci and PZ, and the thread was more about PZ than anyone else. I had no interest in engaging her, I had no interest in her at all. I was attending because of the the others. I offered to give him the links to my comments that PZ was referring to, and told him that I did not want him involved, and I did not need to attend. He thought it was all a bit ridiculous, and told me he has no problem with me attending, but asked if I would use the first name Sophia instead of sacha, like it is on my facebook page (yes, sacha is my real name). I told him that no one calls me Sophia, and Becci may hear numerous people refer to me as sacha. He said he did not care, I told him I did not want to be that close to her anyway, and he told me to go as planned, so I did.
name%20badge.jpg
(27.07 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... f8bcc3.png

"no research needed" = promotion and tenure decision at certain universities

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Saint N. wrote:
Reap wrote:No one forced Al out. Trust that. Not actively anyway. You can trust Al's words if he says he wasnt forced out he wasn't. Pathetic some people need to lie and mislead to look good....totally pathetic
I trust though that he probably made an announcement about it to the other FtB bloggers on the backchannel, prior to his *real* last post being up on his blog. Ophelia using this to put the spotlight on herself by making the info public first, and then throwing in this sort of cryptic 'oh he spoke his final words here and didn't even know it hehehe' is just sad and pathetic (as you said). It's also hilarious because she's validating everything FtB critics say about them. I hope their new bloggers will be people like Marcotte and Laden, gathering all the crap in the secular blogosphere in one place is the greatest service they could do for the a/s community.
Nah, they're going to bring in some fresh new voices as bloggers: ceepolk, Grimalkin, and Cipher.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hahahaha, Mykeru, you bastard, I was drinking!

Anyone remember Anita Sarkeesian? You know, the one who gathered over $150,000 to make 13 videos on sexism in videogames? Well, it seems she up and ran with the money. I say "seems" because I don't really know, but she's two months overdue and she blocks anyone who asks what she's doing and where the money went. A YouTuber by the name of "gamesvstropesvswomen" made a video about sexism in videogames in her stead, albeit in a more balanced approach.

So it might interest you that the zealots over at A+theism made a thread about it:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420

Might interest you solely because the first thing the opening post does is deduce the YouTuber is an MRA.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

sacha wrote:
Mykeru wrote:I'm editing through The Beaver's 2012 HFA keynote speech and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, THIS IS A KEYNOTE SPEECH? My God, it's an hour of Watson bitching about trolls, mean girls and how people weren't nice to her on the internet. If she was a fat no-life neck beard guy no one would listen to her, but since she's a fat pink-haired no-life Skepchick suddenly arguing on the internet has global consequences.

She complains about someone threatening to put a bullet in her head (been there, princess) and not even ten minutes in, I'm begging for a bullet in the head.

Sacha, do tell.
I mentioned that I would be attending on the original Slime Pit. Asked if there were any requests, like a note.

Of course what bothers her the most is not getting attention, so I posted that in order to get under her skin, I planned to ignore her, and we had a laugh. I'll find the links.

PZ phoned the organiser, telling him someone named "sacha" on a hate forum was planning to attend and that I planned to "cause trouble" and I was a direct threat to Becci's safety.

PZ asked that I be removed from the list and asked that the organiser call Becci to let her know she did not have to worry about her safety, and that I was no longer attending. He called Becci, who wanted to make sure I would not be permitted to attend... blah blah blah

The organiser knew me prior to this, he emailed and told me what was said, asked if they had the wrong person, and wanted my side of things.
I told him about what I posted on the Slime Pit, and the plan was to ignore her, I told him it isn't any secret that I do not like Becci and PZ, and the thread was more about PZ than anyone else. I had no interest in engaging her, I had no interest in her at all. I was attending because of the the others. I offered to give him the links to my comments that PZ was referring to, and told him that I did not want him involved, and I did not need to attend. He thought it was all a bit ridiculous, and told me he has no problem with me attending, but asked if I would use the first name Sophia instead of sacha, like it is on my facebook page (yes, sacha is my real name). I told him that no one calls me Sophia, and Becci may hear numerous people refer to me as sacha. He said he did not care, I told him I did not want to be that close to her anyway, and he told me to go as planned, so I did.
name%20badge.jpg
Haha, that's awesome.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... f8bcc3.png

Exactly. Faith and belief are all you need.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

@SammyBoal's account has also been suspended, as of yesterday.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:
Saint N. wrote:
Reap wrote:No one forced Al out. Trust that. Not actively anyway. You can trust Al's words if he says he wasnt forced out he wasn't. Pathetic some people need to lie and mislead to look good....totally pathetic
I trust though that he probably made an announcement about it to the other FtB bloggers on the backchannel, prior to his *real* last post being up on his blog. Ophelia using this to put the spotlight on herself by making the info public first, and then throwing in this sort of cryptic 'oh he spoke his final words here and didn't even know it hehehe' is just sad and pathetic (as you said). It's also hilarious because she's validating everything FtB critics say about them. I hope their new bloggers will be people like Marcotte and Laden, gathering all the crap in the secular blogosphere in one place is the greatest service they could do for the a/s community.
Nah, they're going to bring in some fresh new voices as bloggers: ceepolk, Grimalkin, and Cipher.
Gotta control that Freethought. Otherwise it gets out of hand.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

If Laden gets back on FtB, many lulz await. I would actually look forward to it - it would give me more than enough reason to stick the boot again.

sacha

Post by sacha »

papillon wrote:
Mykeru wrote:The problem with mockery is that as they are all POE-ready, staying ahead of the curve of their own self-parody is a pain in the ass.
You're not kidding, although I did manage to advocate deliberately triggering someone with a seashell.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 101753.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 101754.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 101755.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... 55-2-1.jpg
every time I think of "overheated grocery store sleeper" I can't stop laughing
hahaha!

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

After their harassment of Vacula succeeded, it has been a pretty good couple of days payback.

The continuing problems at A+, the "inside man" at A+, Al leaving FtB, Queen Bee and Rhys Morgan sticking the knife in A+, Oolon getting butthurt and scurrying back to suck PZ's cock, and Jen crying like a baby - not because of the criticism of her by the likes of us, but because her baby A+ is sinking fast.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Well if it isn't the slimy turd.

What's funny about ooblong's whining about the "ignore/foe" feature, is that I bet not that many of you even used it. I personally just scrolled right past.

Couch

Post by Couch »

sacha wrote:
sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

- She's talking about a woman on a forum "dedicated to hating her" who was gonna attend a conference in San Fran. last year, anyone know who this is she's referring to?
That's me, I'll watch it now
fantastic. Accost her by ignoring her. I was not removed from the waiting list, I was there: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ight#p1153

The "forum dedicated to hating her" is the Slime Pit. I'll post the rest of the story when I return.
On that page you've linked to is this (apologie in advance if this copies poorly):

Re: Skepchick Anonymous
by Gumby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Evan wrote:
I don't know how credible this person is, but xe might be worth following.

https://twitter.com/Skepchick_Anon

#cvg2012‬ My sources at Skepchickcon told me PZ Myers and Stephanie Svan have prevailed with Brayton. Greg will rejoin FTB after the Summer.

The only reason they "fired" Laden at all is because they were reluctantly forced to by Justin Griffith's publication of that vile email Laden sent him. If Justin hadn't published that email it would have remained in the backchannel and Laden never would have been canned (or suspended, if this Skepchick_Anon is legit and has correct info). Justin be damned, FtB's stated anti-harassment/equality ideologies be damned.

PZ just posted a droning video where he babbles out a bullshit rationalization for why Thunderf00t was booted. If Laden is indeed coming back I'd love to see PZ's video where he rationalizes bringing back a blogger who harasses people online, tries to get people fired from their jobs, sends them violent and threatening emails, and edits/deletes people's comments.

Gumby

welch

Post by welch »

JackRayner wrote:

Well if it isn't the slimy turd.

What's funny about ooblong's whining about the "ignore/foe" feature, is that I bet not that many of you even used it. I personally just scrolled right past.
Oh I read his stuff. But I like beating jackanapes like him, so there's that.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

This a very interesting, just published, paper on Misinformation and its correction - http://psi.sagepub.com/content/13/3/106 ... teid=sppsi

And can someone tell me how to hyperlink to a word rather than the whole url?

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Pitchguest wrote:
Anyone remember Anita Sarkeesian? You know, the one who gathered over $150,000 to make 13 videos on sexism in videogames? Well, it seems she up and ran with the money. I say "seems" because I don't really know, but she's two months overdue and she blocks anyone who asks what she's doing and where the money went. A YouTuber by the name of "gamesvstropesvswomen" made a video about sexism in videogames in her stead, albeit in a more balanced approach.

So it might interest you that the zealots over at A+theism made a thread about it:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420

Might interest you solely because the first thing the opening post does is deduce the YouTuber is an MRA.
From the thread OP:
Surgoshan wrote:
You may remember Anita Sarkeesian, awesome feminist media critic
[Emphasis added]

Hahahahahaha! If it wasn't already obvious from the fact that the thread was posted on the goddamned A+theism forums [forums, fora, does anyone give a fuck?], that portion of the opening sentence is all one would need to know what flavor Kool-aid "Surgoshan" is drinking.

I've seen a plethora of videos exposing Sarkeesian for the 1-track minded, sees-sexism-in-all-things, feminist airhead that she is, but the ones I enjoyed the most were Snakepliskinist's. He's even got a playlist made specifically for these. For anyone looking for something that is a little more high-brow, you could always check this two-parter out: Anita Sarkeesian Part 1: The college Graduate. It's pretty well produced.

And if viewing content from gender traitors, sister-punishers, and chill-girls is more to your linking, there's always this one;

[youtube]ZueOCLGt1tw[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

Tigzy wrote:Would this be the same Reap that posts here and runs the Angry Atheist podcast? Cos I'm not entirely sure it sounds like him: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... eap-paden/
A guest post by Reap Paden
October 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm Ophelia Benson

Because it’s far too good to blush unseen in the comments.

Reap Paden says

Allow me to add “FUCK YEA!” and “Fuck you” just try and do something about me and my freedom to say any damn thing I want. You loons sit here at your circle jerk and think you effect the real world? People like me who take on people face to face will be making change while you sputter amongst yourselves. Look at how much you’ve changed my behavior so far…pfft. Ophelia Benson are you needy for attention or just like to blab blab blab? No matter do not fret you will have your wish I’m happy to speak out about you to as part of the disease called A+. Poor A+ a group of idiots too dumb to know how limited their reach. You do make for great fodder I give you that much. Nothing anything any of you can or will say will harm or hurt me I am the wall you were bound to hit sooner or later. Funny thing is I am not alone we just don’t talk to hear ourselves speak, people actually listen. Now back to the banter……
Or has Ophelia been trolled by a Poe...?
:whistle:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Couch wrote:
sacha wrote:
sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

- She's talking about a woman on a forum "dedicated to hating her" who was gonna attend a conference in San Fran. last year, anyone know who this is she's referring to?
That's me, I'll watch it now
fantastic. Accost her by ignoring her. I was not removed from the waiting list, I was there: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ight#p1153

The "forum dedicated to hating her" is the Slime Pit. I'll post the rest of the story when I return.
On that page you've linked to is this (apologie in advance if this copies poorly):

Re: Skepchick Anonymous
by Gumby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Evan wrote:
I don't know how credible this person is, but xe might be worth following.

https://twitter.com/Skepchick_Anon

#cvg2012‬ My sources at Skepchickcon told me PZ Myers and Stephanie Svan have prevailed with Brayton. Greg will rejoin FTB after the Summer.

The only reason they "fired" Laden at all is because they were reluctantly forced to by Justin Griffith's publication of that vile email Laden sent him. If Justin hadn't published that email it would have remained in the backchannel and Laden never would have been canned (or suspended, if this Skepchick_Anon is legit and has correct info). Justin be damned, FtB's stated anti-harassment/equality ideologies be damned.

PZ just posted a droning video where he babbles out a bullshit rationalization for why Thunderf00t was booted. If Laden is indeed coming back I'd love to see PZ's video where he rationalizes bringing back a blogger who harasses people online, tries to get people fired from their jobs, sends them violent and threatening emails, and edits/deletes people's comments.

Gumby

https://twitter.com/Skepchick_Anon : account suspended

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Reap wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Would this be the same Reap that posts here and runs the Angry Atheist podcast? Cos I'm not entirely sure it sounds like him: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... eap-paden/
A guest post by Reap Paden
October 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm Ophelia Benson

Because it’s far too good to blush unseen in the comments.

Reap Paden says

Allow me to add “FUCK YEA!” and “Fuck you” just try and do something about me and my freedom to say any damn thing I want. You loons sit here at your circle jerk and think you effect the real world? People like me who take on people face to face will be making change while you sputter amongst yourselves. Look at how much you’ve changed my behavior so far…pfft. Ophelia Benson are you needy for attention or just like to blab blab blab? No matter do not fret you will have your wish I’m happy to speak out about you to as part of the disease called A+. Poor A+ a group of idiots too dumb to know how limited their reach. You do make for great fodder I give you that much. Nothing anything any of you can or will say will harm or hurt me I am the wall you were bound to hit sooner or later. Funny thing is I am not alone we just don’t talk to hear ourselves speak, people actually listen. Now back to the banter……
Or has Ophelia been trolled by a Poe...?
:whistle:
And I'll bet you are surprised to know that Al has recently hitched his wagon to you.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRVxvSw ... e=g-high-u

New video just posted by integralmath, "Dear Flewellyn: Your Dissembling Has Been Noted" (taking apart Flewellyn's commented in the exchange between him & Matt Dillahunty at Lousy Canuck) - it had just a handful of views but now has been "taken down by user"

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

From the same thread;
Lovely wrote:
It's bizarre! I can't wrap my head around it. She hadn't even made a video. She mentioned that she'd like to look into it. She hadn't even shown the result. But, the mere fact that a woman had the audacity to think about maybe looking into video game tropes was enough for this huge amount of bullying.
[My emphasis]

Uh...maybe you failed to realize that Sarkeesian had been making really stupid videos, in which she labeled every fucking thing imaginable examples of sexism [Do I even need to mention that it only applied to women?], misogyny, male chauvinism, and sexual objectification [again, only of women], long before? Or that she's probably always been getting all of that hate*, but only strategically allowed** it to post to that particular video so that whiteknights and feminists would rush to the rescue. [Just to spite the "misogynists", maybe?]

Anyways, I will laugh for a long time if every single person that [over] funded her "project" gets gypped! :P

*Gamers really hate being told what they should/shouldn't like. The whole point is escapism. Having some hag roll in and tell you that you're a misogynists because of the fantasy women within the games you're playing [while completely ignoring all of the fantasy men] kinda fucking ruins that for people. I've actually stopped reading most game journalism sites because of their constant barrage of articles by whiteknights and feminist guest writers coming in and vomitting their bullshit all over the place. The reason these sites do it is because they know it pisses people off, and they get a lot of hits because of it. It's disgusting.

**Comments and ratings are disabled on almost all of her videos. On the particular video about the Kickstarter she allowed comments but only after moderation. A hypothesis that I've heard is that she only approved the angry/troll comments to make herself seem like the victim. She essentially funneled the accumulated hate over her stupidity to that one video and then said "See? There is a problem with misogyny in the gaming community....so hand over your cash!"

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRVxvSw ... e=g-high-u

New video just posted by integralmath, "Dear Flewellyn: Your Dissembling Has Been Noted" (taking apart Flewellyn's commented in the exchange between him & Matt Dillahunty at Lousy Canuck) - it had just a handful of views but now has been "taken down by user"
That's because he uploaded the exact same video he'd upped just before:

Here's the correct one:

[youtube]tw--rUYzvEI[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Excellent. Thanks. I'm apparently starting to see censors around every corner....

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:Excellent. Thanks. I'm apparently starting to see censors around every corner....
You obviously need to recalibrate your censor sensor.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Hahaha. Here's a clueless bastard [halfway down the page] speaking up their mind;

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 420#p20316
Ketsan wrote:I just hope she talks about how gamers actually use female characters because about ten seconds after online gaming was invented we discovered that female characters could be used to manipulate men into helping them. In other words strategically if you're playing online it makes sense to be a female character of high attractiveness because people will help you out with greater frequency, especially if they actually think you are female because guys will invariably suck up to a girl in an effort to get laid. We, as gamers, as people who are always by our nature looking for any advantage and will employ any strategy or tactic that helps us win, will take advantage of that.

Sarkeesian's stuff makes total sense, if you ignore everything but the female characters and especially the context they're in. The reason she got such a hostile reception is not because she's female but because everything that she's said that's true has been said for at least thirty years and everything else that she's said just insults the intelligence of the average human being and is so gynocentric it's almost laughable.

Also she's yet another woman coming into gaming culture and just not getting it: female characters aren't meant to be women out in the real world: they're our female alter egos. They're how we would wish to appear if we were female, again, for the strategic purpose of attracting male help and so that we can get away with stuff that a male character would get pwned and booted off the server for. Characters are tools;they are designed and created to do a job. If guys stopped helping out female characters more than male characters then female characters would probably evaporate unless they were created with an advantage over male characters.
Scroll further for the inevitable dogpilling. My favorite: :popcorn:
Lovely wrote:
FUCK THIS SHIT.

I AM A GAMER. I AM A WOMAN.

This shit isn't my "female alter ego". FUCK. I am a goddamned fucking gamer and I still have to read shit about how gaming is all about the menz and their perspective. And if I disagree then I couldn't possibly understand because I'm not really a gamer since I'm a woman first.

I don't care if Sarkeesian was never much of a gamer before. Maybe she would be a gamer, but she'll always just be a woman looking in the window from the outside according the generic male gamer point of view.

Jesus fucking christ fucking fuck.
I can almost smell the tears of rage coming off of that post. :lol:

Michael K Gray

Ministry of Athiplus

Post by Michael K Gray »

Atheism+ forum currently has zero members logged in, and 5 other guests.
'Merka sleeps, A+Theism does too.
Tells you a lot about their proclaimed "diversity", and "reaching out" matra-fibs.

JackRayner

Re: Ministry of Athiplus

Post by JackRayner »

Michael K Gray wrote:Atheism+ forum currently has zero members logged in, and 5 other guests.
Tells you a lot about their proclaimed "diversity", and "reaching out" matra-fibs.
I think that's only looking that specific thread. [Assuming your summation is from the above linked thread.] If you go to the main page,there seems to be a lot more.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

JackRayner wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:Atheism+ forum currently has zero members logged in, and 5 other guests.
I think that's only looking that specific thread. [Assuming your summation is from the above linked thread.] If you go to the main page,there seems to be a lot more.
Yes, you are quite correct.
My post will now go into the memory hole because I am never wrong! Hear me!

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

When it happened my husband was all well Sarkeesian was obviously just trying to highlight gamining misogyny so you know that's a good thing...

Boy it's going to be fun when he comes home tonight.

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

As an aside, I notice a number of you seem to be redditors. Has anybody noticed the striking similarities between the way A+ and ShitRedditSays denizens operate?

The main difference I find is that the SRS folk aren't quite as timid in their use of epithets... but apart from that, I find it hard to imagine there's not some substantial intersection between the sets of A+ members and SRSters.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'M A GAMER

BUT WHEN I GAME I AM NOT THINKING A WHOLE LOT ABOUT MY VAGINA SERIOUSLY

I MEAN I'M MORE INTERESTED IN PLAYING THE GAME

AND TELLING PEOPLE TO SUCK IT AND CUNT OFF AND TO STOP SHOOTING ME SRSLY

...although I haven't online since I spent several days on Battlefield 1943 and husband felt I might need a time out from crashing aeroplanes.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

I don't want to embed this video here (because it's really painful to watch), but I've seen this guy popping up around youtube for the last few months, fervently defending a+theism,

His reasoning is so bizarre that I can't shake the feeling that he is just a very dedicated Poe. But with that crowd you can't really tell 100%. Does anyone know who he is and/or if he's serious.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

This SammyBoal character (acct got suspended and has now returned as @SamanthaBoal), if genuine, sounds very Mabus-esque (except more coherent) in the way she focuses on the most trivial issues to attack watson and jen on. Assuming for a second that she's not another Poe, or Mabus in online-drag, there is something strange about the fact that here is a person who is obviously pestering and attacking Watson but instead of getting banned/blocked (like the majority of people who criticize watson these days) Rebecca uncharacteristically retweets the loopy person's attacks on her.

Remember some time back when Watson and PZ were being called out on twitter for falsely accusing that CoffeeLovingSkeptic guy for calling watson a cunt. The two went banhammer crazy for a solid day to avoid having to put up with their critics. Yet this Boal person's tweets against them are being advertised for all to see. It brings up the old charge from last year that, when PZ et al do respond to criticisms, why is it always just to highlight the crazies never the legit opposition (eg the complaints over how watson treated McGraw being ignored in favor of addressing trolls calling for watson to be raped, and likening all criticism of Rebecca to this latter group).

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I feel to fit the narrative that Samantha would have been a white heterosexual male.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Funny and true commentary from Johnny on Jen's WankGate dilemma,

[youtube]Fn9XKX8cWao[/youtube]

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Nice to meet you :dance: This place is much more civil than your reputation suggests!
JackRayner wrote:
It's still a pretty low number. There were 27 readers online when I last checked. I don't know how they ever expect to attract members (do they even want to?) when their forum is so strict and unwelcoming. It's like a forum run by these two:

http://www.thejim.iofm.net/jpgs/accuse.jpg
This is a local forum, for local people! There's nothing for you here!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Welcome Pinker! Another league Of Gentleman fan eh?
"You.... Heard the man Tubbs......Get undressed."
"Justin, Justin my very own Justin."
"Hello Dave!"
"In this house we do not use the "F" word! This.....Is a TOAD!"
Etc. Etc.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

rayshul wrote:I'M A GAMER

BUT WHEN I GAME I AM NOT THINKING A WHOLE LOT ABOUT MY VAGINA SERIOUSLY

I MEAN I'M MORE INTERESTED IN PLAYING THE GAME

AND TELLING PEOPLE TO SUCK IT AND CUNT OFF AND TO STOP SHOOTING ME SRSLY

...although I haven't online since I spent several days on Battlefield 1943 and husband felt I might need a time out from crashing aeroplanes.
Hahahaha. Honestly, when I play[ed. Zeus, it's been months. I know my day will be sucked away if I do, and I've got school work to get done!] online competitive vydiagames, other people's gender is the last thing on my mind...until it comes time to start hurling insults to get under people's skin and make them lose their cool. It's happened to me, so I know it's effective. Some asshole hurls insults over their headset after killing me, and now I'm only focused on getting them, and I die a whole bunch of times because of it. It's funny looking back, but when you're in the moment, it's just like "YOUMOHERFUCKERI'MGONNAFUCKINGRAPEYOUWITHTHEBARRELOFMY[videogame]RIFLE!"

There's been this big push to "expose" the "misogyny" in the gaming community, but what no one seems to care about is the fact that the hurling of targeted insults has been a staple of competitive gaming long before it began to attract a more mainstream audience. [And thus more women. Let's be real, females were very scarce in nerd/geek culture until recently.] An insult that doesn't cut deep is a waste of air. You don't see stand-up comedians, for example, telling hecklers that their moms wear combat boots. [Was that ever offensive, by the by?] No, they go with the dirtiest, most offensive tailored insult that they can come up with on the fly. [What's funny is that I'm almost sure that a significant number of the "dudes" that I made fun off for sounding like 10 year old boys were probably women. :whistle: ]

Also, online gaming has made it easier to connect with others from home, so maybe the whole competitive aggression thing really is a surprise to most female games entering these games. Picture for a moment, the follow scene: A crowded arcade with groups of males huddling around arcade cabinets, [think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter] aggressively posturing while they do, as they wait their turn to go head to head in a match against another of these males. Insults and mean glares were common place. Does this sound anything like the ideal environment for your average female? [On that note, I really miss this scene. Sadly, I wasn't even out of high school by the time that it died in my area. It really was a rush going up against someone that was standing an inch next to you while a crowd watched. Online gaming isn't the same...]

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Pinker wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new here. Nice to meet you :dance: This place is much more civil than your reputation suggests!
:shhh: We've got a name to live up to.
Pinker wrote:I don't know how they ever expect to attract members (do they even want to?) when their forum is so strict and unwelcoming.
You'd think people would draw a line at being asked to admit to being 'potential' criminals (specifically rapists) for crimes they have no intention of ever committing. But I guess not. I don't see them wanting to attract members or do any social activism either, what they want more than anything is to have their 'safe space' away from all the mean, bad people (that's us, so 'WE'RE #1', yeah!). The problem is how can anyone take you seriously about confronting the ills of society when a one-syllable epithet is enough to make you 'cry tears of rage.'

Anyway, welcome to the Pit, Pinker. Not that you need me to say it, but don't be shy about commenting and just having a laugh around here every now and again. This forum is only as entertaining as long as people are willing to contribute to the fun.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Pinker wrote:Hi everyone! I'm new here. Nice to meet you :dance: This place is much more civil than your reputation suggests!
Hello. The rudeness on here is mainly me, I think. :mrgreen: I've got no excuses, I was raised well!

In other thoughts... I notice the age group that this particular form of gender feminism has sprung up in in women is largely Gen X. (with a couple of outliers). I'm guessing that this is the generation of women who were the first to get real opportunities in the workplace but had parents who were more wedded to the previous generation's women-stay-home/men-go-out-and-work.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

JackRayner wrote:There's been this big push to "expose" the "misogyny" in the gaming community, but what no one seems to care about is the fact that the hurling of targeted insults has been a staple of competitive gaming long before it began to attract a more mainstream audience. [And thus more women. Let's be real, females were very scarce in nerd/geek culture until recently.] An insult that doesn't cut deep is a waste of air. You don't see stand-up comedians, for example, telling hecklers that their moms wear combat boots. [Was that ever offensive, by the by?] No, they go with the dirtiest, most offensive tailored insult that they can come up with on the fly.
I've been trying to explain THAT to the husband too. I'm like... it's fucking psycheing people out!!!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I notice oolon is right in the thick of it on B and W, lying away about Renee Hendricks 'sticking up' for that Samboals troll. :liar:

http://i.imgur.com/fupJD.jpg

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Pinker wrote:It's still a pretty low number. There were 27 readers online when I last checked.
Nah.
I fucked up royally by assuming that the "logged on user count" was global.
Mea culpa.
(Bet you that an observer won't hear that admission too often, if at all, in their enclave of those who are dropped off to A+Theism by the safe-space FfTB padded "Special Bus" for those social cripples who swallowed the Femtheist SOMA that preys on helpless intellectually retarded drones.)

atheismplusgood

Post by atheismplusgood »

aweraw wrote:As an aside, I notice a number of you seem to be redditors. Has anybody noticed the striking similarities between the way A+ and ShitRedditSays denizens operate?

The main difference I find is that the SRS folk aren't quite as timid in their use of epithets... but apart from that, I find it hard to imagine there's not some substantial intersection between the sets of A+ members and SRSters.
I post on reddit. The striking similarity is there because on reddit at least, the shitredditsays board is indistinguishable from the atheismplus board in terms of who posts there and who moderates it. McGrate has had an account on reddit for quite some time. And she always was pretty chummy with reddit feminists (shitredditsays). As soon as her atheismplus board was created on reddit, we were treated to a sickeningly incestuous orgy of A+theists and shitredditsays types. I'm pretty sure a lot of those from shitredditsays bled over into A+ not just on reddit but also elsewhere.

Their ideologies are practically indistinguishable. All the usual chattering about hetero-patriarch-cis-white-straight-privilege and woe-is-me-the-oppressed-fair-maiden. As is their behaviour. Docdropping of those they dislike, heavy-handed moderation, a tendency to simply dismiss any opposing point of view instead of reasoning against it. shitredditsays are McGrate's ideal congregation.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice oolon is right in the thick of it on B and W, lying away about Renee Hendricks 'sticking up' for that Samboals troll. :liar:
Bless. What a muppet.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice oolon is right in the thick of it on B and W, lying away about Renee Hendricks 'sticking up' for that Samboals troll. :liar:
Bless. What a muppet.
Right.
That's Oolon scratched off my Christmas list.

atheismplusgood

Post by atheismplusgood »

JackRayner wrote:There's been this big push to "expose" the "misogyny" in the gaming community, but what no one seems to care about is the fact that the hurling of targeted insults has been a staple of competitive gaming long before it began to attract a more mainstream audience. [And thus more women. Let's be real, females were very scarce in nerd/geek culture until recently.]
Those same people crying about "misogyny" in online video gaming are actually some of the most contemptuous and verbally abusive people you'll ever find online. They have not a kind word to say about people they don't like. Ever. They routinely toss insults at those they don't like while hiding behind the I-lack-privilege-so-you-can't-insult-me shield.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Pinker wrote:This place is much more civil than your reputation suggests!
Fucking right, dickface!

Welcome to the Pit, Pinker, I hope you'll like it here.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Saint N. wrote:I don't want to embed this video here (because it's really painful to watch), but I've seen this guy popping up around youtube for the last few months, fervently defending a+theism,

His reasoning is so bizarre that I can't shake the feeling that he is just a very dedicated Poe. But with that crowd you can't really tell 100%. Does anyone know who he is and/or if he's serious.
hey all, just a lurker but yeah I've come across this guy before - He is a Troll and a poe, his motives seem mainly to be attention seeking. He is stalked DPR Jones for a while,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ1JM-k7 ... ure=g-hist

he is the sort to join any cause if he thinks he can be a 'player'

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Saint N. wrote:I don't want to embed this video here (because it's really painful to watch), but I've seen this guy popping up around youtube for the last few months, fervently defending a+theism,

Ahh. Good ol' CasesAndMaterials. I've seen him mentioned, even replied to with videos, by a few of the youtube channels I subscribe to. My take is that he's either a dedicated troll*, or a deranged individual.

*The way that he targets several of the youtubers that I'm subscribed to, and supports dopes like TheTruePooka and A+theism, seems a little too consistent to be just trolling. Personally, if I was a troll, I'd target the whinier people...

cunt

Post by cunt »

Killing elves and orcs and zombies promotes rape culture and if you give me $160,000 i'll tell you how.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Sex sells? Evidence, please.