Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Dilurk

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dilurk »

welch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Outwest wrote:
So PZ must be lurking out here all the time, or has a few of his high school minions doing it for him and reporting. Good.
Sad thing is, if he is lurking here, one would expect him to have gotten a hint at how ridiculous he looks from outside his "safe space". Actually, he should get a hint if he lurks anywhere outside his sycophants' domains.

Ok, so maybe he got the hint, but really doesn't give a shit anymore as he's dug himself into a hole so deep so quickly he's now working for Google Earth China, repairing their satelites in orbit.
PeeZus hasn't had the self-awareness of a rock in years. He's so deep into his own delusions he thinks he shits marmalade.
No, I do no think he is deluded. I think he is being very deliberate. Perhaps in his own mind he is convinced that being an arse on the Internet will pay for him to go to conferences. Is it worth it in the long run? I don't know.
I know I have stopped reading his site entirely now.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Outwest wrote:Seeing someone on twitter announcing that it appears Mykeru's account was suspended...Anyone able to help verify this? Trying now myself.
Yep, I'm getting a "sorry, that user is suspended".

welch

Post by welch »

Outwest wrote:Seeing someone on twitter announcing that it appears Mykeru's account was suspended...Anyone able to help verify this? Trying now myself.

Yup. It's suspended

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

welch wrote:

Yup. It's suspended
Hopefully, he'll log on here and give us some nore info.

welch

Post by welch »

Outwest wrote:
welch wrote:

Yup. It's suspended
Hopefully, he'll log on here and give us some nore info.
It's the usual. He was on a thread along with me, blu and a few others and svain got added, and she wasn't properly rimmed. So they got his account suspended. I'm mildly surprised mine isn't.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Outwest wrote:
Yup, a couple days after @simonknowz (husband of Melodramatic Melody) was patting himself of the back for getting @elevatorgate suspended, they managed to do it to me too.

I've responded to Twitter so then can investigate.

It may be a coincidence that all these suspensions seem to revolve around Melody Hensley recent hissy-fit over "criticism = harassment", attempt to false flag Wooly Bumblebee's video and the recent Empress Has No Clothes moment regarding Becky, but I very much doubt it is a coincidence.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

When one side in an ongoing argument resorts to trenchant criticism and cutting satire, while the other resorts to shutting down accounts and other fair game tactics, I've a pretty good idea of who actually cares more about furthering social justice. We've seen this play before.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Yup, a couple days after @simonknowz (husband of Melodramatic Melody) was patting himself of the back for getting @elevatorgate suspended, they managed to do it to me too.

It may be a coincidence that all these suspensions seem to revolve around Melody Hensley recent hissy-fit over "criticism = harassment", attempt to false flag Wooly Bumblebee's video and the recent Empress Has No Clothes moment regarding Becky, but I very much doubt it is a coincidence.
I find it amusing that her husband is crowing about "cowardly" sexists when their only response to disagreement is ¡SILENCIO!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:
It's the usual. He was on a thread along with me, blu and a few others and svain got added, and she wasn't properly rimmed. So they got his account suspended. I'm mildly surprised mine isn't.
Oh yes, I forgotten how incredibly butt hurt @svan must be for my comment on Maria's article.

I wonder, with all this going on, if there is a way to request a class-action investigation by Twitter of these series of false-flaggings. I'm sure they don't care, but it would be interesting.

Oh, by the way, since this happened around Stephanie Svan and in the context of Melody Hensley publically calling for false flaggings, can we start the "Melody/Steffuny was TARGETING Mykeru" meme?

Steph, of course you thing Becky was targeted because that's what you would do, you fucking transparent plastic "visible woman" of psychological projection.

The funny thing is, that this morning, sucking down dome coffee, I was reading PZ Meyer's "dungeon" pages and the glee with which he vilifies and bans people, just reveling in his arbitrary power and it made me sad, because whatever it is going on in PZ's little world, he can only rage impotently, unable to correct it or understand.

Sad little fucking morons.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Mykeru wrote:
Outwest wrote:

WTF is wrong with these people? The Snow "Flakes" @ FTB and others of their ilk, although claiming to be "progressive" can't take a little free speech. It's disgusting and just plain wrong. Maybe some of us should inform Twitter that these "policy violation" complaints they are hearing about are false and that the person or persons making the complaint, if it is a false complaint, should themselves be suspended. But on second thought, no. that would make us like them, wouldn't it?

welch

Post by welch »

d4m10n wrote:When one side in an ongoing argument resorts to trenchant criticism and cutting satire, while the other resorts to shutting down accounts and other fair game tactics, I've a pretty good idea of who actually cares more about furthering social justice. We've seen this play before.

I've been pointing out the co-opting of scientology tactics by PeeZus et al for years now. I suppose eventually enough people will be hurt by them that it will backfire, but I think that's still a few years out yet.

LRon would be proud.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Simonknowz - I wonder if that's the same smug little twerp also called 'Simon' who can usually be found posting a wanky little comment on an FTB thread after the discussion has largely died down?

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

'You can't stop the signal' -Mr. Universe

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

d4m10n wrote:When one side in an ongoing argument resorts to trenchant criticism and cutting satire, while the other resorts to shutting down accounts and other fair game tactics, I've a pretty good idea of who actually cares more about furthering social justice. We've seen this play before.
And yet what they continually fail to understand is that if they were to either simply ignore or laugh off their critics, Hensley et al would attain a great deal more respect. As it stands, they really aren't doing themselves any favours at all.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Mr Danksworth wrote:'You can't stop the signal' -Mr. Universe
Perfect. :clap:

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Just recently I was chatting with Welch about how similar the New Media Douchebags® in the tech sphere were to those in the "skeptic" sphere. But here's where they differ: John and I have witnessed and participated in fucking epic rants and arguments with tech NMDs. Hell, we're two thirds of a podcast that is devoted to bashing tech pundit idiocy in a manner that would make the likes of Peezus and Becky piss themselves in terror. And yet we have never, never had a single serious threat to have our accounts or websites taken down (well there was the one guy who threatened to sue every person in a comment thread for calling him a racist prick - still waiting on our subpoenas). The utter lack of maturity of the Skepchick/FTB League of Derps is astounding.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

There are times when I want to say" forget these fuckwits" (FTB/Skepchick/A+) but they provide so much entertainment for me during the day I can't seem to ween myself away from the LOLZ they create.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

JAB wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
So I ask one last time. Stop giving them web hits. Abbie needs the research money.
You might as well ask me never to visit the zoo anymore. :)
I don't always visit the baboon enclosure at the zoo, but when I do, I use Ad Block Plus.
:lol: I'm gonna sig that!

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Just recently I was chatting with Welch about how similar the New Media Douchebags® in the tech sphere were to those in the "skeptic" sphere. But here's where they differ: John and I have witnessed and participated in fucking epic rants and arguments with tech NMDs. Hell, we're two thirds of a podcast that is devoted to bashing tech pundit idiocy in a manner that would make the likes of Peezus and Becky piss themselves in terror. And yet we have never, never had a single serious threat to have our accounts or websites taken down (well there was the one guy who threatened to sue every person in a comment thread for calling him a racist prick - still waiting on our subpoenas). The utter lack of maturity of the Skepchick/FTB League of Derps is astounding.

Oh holy fuckoley, if someone pulled an AMB on those assclowns, they would literally shit themselves

welch

Post by welch »

Outwest wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

WTF is wrong with these people? The Snow "Flakes" @ FTB and others of their ilk, although claiming to be "progressive" can't take a little free speech. It's disgusting and just plain wrong. Maybe some of us should inform Twitter that these "policy violation" complaints they are hearing about are false and that the person or persons making the complaint, if it is a false complaint, should themselves be suspended. But on second thought, no. that would make us like them, wouldn't it?
Because it's what happens when people like that find a way to attain power. They have this deep, deep belief that they are helpless against the cruel world, and so any time they find ANY way to "fight back" they will use it. It's rather like giving the fat kid who gets picked on the ability to expel whomever they wish.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:Oh holy fuckoley, if someone pulled an AMB on those assclowns, they would literally shit themselves
Say what you want about the techdouches, but at least they can take a punch in the dick.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:Simonknowz - I wonder if that's the same smug little twerp also called 'Simon' who can usually be found posting a wanky little comment on an FTB thread after the discussion has largely died down?
https://twitter.com/SimonBlowz

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote:Oh holy fuckoley, if someone pulled an AMB on those assclowns, they would literally shit themselves
Say what you want about the techdouches, but at least they can take a punch in the dick.
It is shocking to realize that tech douchey have a higher level of self-awareness than scientists and skeptics

Mykeru

An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

Post by Mykeru »

An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

[Please Tweet freely]

First, thank you for the compliment. One of your false flagging operation is really the best measure of one's efficacy as a personal irritant to you. Your thin skins and rabid defense of the increasingly indefensible is not only very entertaining, but provides a remarkable opportunity to up the lulz in what would otherwise be a sad and pathetic chapter in the history of the atheist and skeptical movement. With your false flagging, doxing attempts and general hyperventilating outrage am assured that whatever it is I'm doing, it must be for the good, if only because you are such miserable excuses for human beings.

Let me make something clear: You think you are right. You are incapable of wrapping your heads around the fact that you may be wrong. Like some perversion of the Euthyphro dilemma you seem to think that what you do is right because, if you do something then, buy definition, it is right, regardless of who you have to smear, lie about, harass misrepresent and threaten.

Now, a lot can be written about how exactly a community that prides itself on fact-finding, empiricism, the ideas of rationality made manifest in the scientific method and the tools of skepticism could be nearly co-opted by a bunch of ideologically driven, mean-spirited hysterical (yes, hysterical) fuckwits obsessed with identity politics, victimhood and a series of sexual and gender issues that displays little more than a low fascination with the squicking mechanics of fucking. Frankly, once one clears away the buzzwords and intellectual conceit, you all seem to mentally travel in a closed loop between your genital, your assholes and back again. One doesn't need to be a Freudian to note the unhealthy obsession anymore one needs a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows or, indeed, a rectal thermometer to tell who the assholes are.

One of the best explanation for how whiny little fuckers like ended up squatting in the atheist and skeptical community was provide by GirlWritesWhat with Atheism, you asked for it...

I have been recently upping my social media presence, especially when my main workstation died and I had to fall back on other means to connect within the growing community of people who are tired of the endless drama and polemics coming out of the unholy trinity of Freethought blogs, Atheism Plus and Skepchick International. However, once my computer was replaced -- without typical FTB e-begging, I might add -- all this could be seen as a distraction from the one social media outlet that is my claim to fame: YouTube. I am a part of a circle of people encompassing the actual skeptics in the skeptical community, members of the MRM and general loose cannons who have, I like to think, done more damage in terms of sheer laughs than FTB/A+/SCK can ever recover from, no matter how much you guys soak your burning asshole in a sitz bath of communal reinforcement.

I have no idea who false flagged me, but thank you. Now tonight where I could have been distracted by Twitter or The SlymePit, I will have to buckle the fuck down and crank out something on YouTube. I don't know how you knew I was a little distracted, but your unselfish act of getting me back on track means a lot to me. I'm not sure who to thank, but I figure it's a safe bet to think it revolves around Melodramatic Melody (@melodyhensley) Simon the Human Tampon (@simonknowz) and Ms Stay Puft (@svan) and whatever minions were brought to bear.

That may or may not be the case. However, I will work on that assumption in order to make a video in which I become the victim of your targeting, just a poor happy-go-lucky satirist once again harassed by the shushing librarians of Free Thought. Not only am I not above creating a blatant bit of propaganda for no other reason than to piss you off, make you look bad and up my own standing, but I learned everything I needed to know about doing that from Queen Bee herself. What's more, by publicly and artlessly calling for a false flagging campaign against Wooly Bumblebee, Melody Hensley has set herself up to be the overstuffed and chicken-faced villain of this little drama. Of course, once she tries the same thing on YouTube it's going to be like hitting a shit-filled pinata with a big stick.

Although, I do thank you for providing just another example of the harassment, false flagging, doxing and generally evil behavior that defines your group, I have to wonder just how bright you are to do it to the one person who, quite frankly, lives for this shit and will make the most possible hay out of the whole thing.

The irony of Melody Hensley claiming she is "bullied" as a justification for mounting her own poor-widdle-me bullying campaign is not lost on me. Nor is your hounding Justin Vacula out of his position at the Secular Coalition for Pennsylvania, or your excusing the threats against Justin Griffiths and Abbie Smith by Greg Laden who you welcomed back into your fold in time to speak on a panel dealing with harassment. Nor all the incidental silencing tactics you have used against Elevatorgate and others.

The problem is, you really can't do anything to me. You have nothing I fear. Your best is just a minor annoyance that I will immediately use to my own benefit.

But more than that, I'm the completely unfair and disproportional punishment visited on your for everyone you have hounded and harassed. I'm the concept of "laugh at you, not with you" in action. One would think you would be smart enough to have figured it out by now.

I really hope you never do.

Angry_Drunk

Re: An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Mykeru wrote:An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

[A fine rant]
http://www.theangrydrunk.com/wordpress/ ... lfclap.gif

Mykeru

Re: An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

Post by Mykeru »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Mykeru wrote:An Open Letter to the False Flaggers

[A fine rant]
[minge]http://www.theangrydrunk.com/wordpress/ ... lfclap.gif[/img][/minge]
[youtube]utEEe97Ir4o[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

Just finished recording with James Onen for the Angry Atheist podcast he is awesome. Thanks to Franc for suggesting him

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Very good rant, Mykeru (a few typos, but no big deal).

It's funny that they don't seem to realise there are people involved in this mess they have ZERO power on. Or even better, that there are people who have way more power over them than they seem to think.

I think in the long run, they're going to bite their own tail.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Reap wrote:Just finished recording with James Onen for the Angry Atheist podcast he is awesome. Thanks to Franc for suggesting him
FreeThoughtKampala FTW!!! \o/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mykeru wrote:Simon the Human Tampon (@simonknowz)
:lol: That's just...perfect.

And apt, considering his propensity to hang round dead FTB threads like a jamrag clinging to the rim of a sewer outlet.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:Ye Gods - but Steffy is going overboard in her apologia for Becky's evo-psyche wibblings. The excuses are pretty desperate: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... headlines/
Christ, what a load of horseshit.
So all Rebecca has to do is laugh and we must assume she is just joking?
Or not. We can't tell but it's best to give her the benefit of the doubt, just in case.
Otherwise we are unfairly targeting her.

The thing is that Svan, while coming across as a complete charlatan to anyone with a scientific training, is seemingly able to fool the usual load of FTB sycophants.
Honestly, the only appropriate response to this type of carry on is to point and laugh at her. Yet you get responses like the following - clearly someone who doesn't know how to read a scientific paper.
He seems to think it backs up Rebecca and destroys Ed Clint's argument!
doubtthat says:
December 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

For the record, let’s compare these two thing–

1) Rebecca’s definition of EP:

Well, evolutionary psychology is the idea that humans evolved during the Pleistocene epic, which we did. But also that our brains evolved, which they did. But that our brains stopped evolving then, so that we currently have Pleistocene brains inside modern bodies.

2) PLOS Biology’s peer reviewed description of EP:

According to the Santa Barbara school of Evolutionary Psychology (EP), human minds are organized into a large number of evolved psychological mechanisms—psychological adaptations designed to solve recurrent problems faced by our hunter-gatherer ancestors [30]. These evolutionary psychologists attempt to provide criteria for “carving the mind at its natural joints” [104], generally by reverse-engineering from an observable phenomenon to its proposed function.

The PLOS paper essentially describes traditional, standard versions of EP in the exact terms Rebecca does. It does point out, however, that there are proponents of EP who have taken criticisms of the field’s traditional bullshittiness seriously and improved.

So, Rebecca was not only using EP in its popular sense, she was using it in its traditional academic understanding. Ed Clint was the one using a less standard model. A model, ironically, that agrees with all of Rebecca’s criticisms and uses that knowledge to improve the discipline.
Here's the paper to judge for yourselves.

http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info ... io.1001109

welch

Post by welch »

Reap wrote:Just finished recording with James Onen for the Angry Atheist podcast he is awesome. Thanks to Franc for suggesting him

James is awesome. He's smart, thoughtful, and rational, so it's hard to poison the well and keep people from seeing that. (Not that Umbridge didn't try mind you.)

But the best part? He's black. From Africa. From a country in Africa where being an atheist is legitimately risky (in the "you suddenly have to accommodate bits of metal in your brain" sense, not the "OMG U R MEAN TO ME" bullshit) so he takes the fucking PISS out of shouting "OMG PRIVILEGE" to silence him.

The only way he could be better would be to have two Ph.Ds and be a female amputee.

(yes, I know the only part that should matter is the "smart, thoughtful, and rational" bits. But when you're dealing with superficial lackwits like the FTBwats who use stupid physical characteristics that should have no meaning whatsoever as a way to silence their opposition, James' background is a nigh-perfect deflection of it.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:bluharmony posted about liking the site John Wilkins' site Evolving Thoughts; I hadn't heard of him, went there, and lo and behold he has joined the fray, too: Eww, I stepped in some evolutionary psychology and other crap

(He self-describes as a "historian and philosopher of science, especially biology. ... Pratchett fan. Curmudgeon. Punster. Fatso." as well as "the Holy Profit of Chocolatism". I'd not heard of him before, but this is a good start!)
I've always like Wilkins' writing, and have never observed him to be other than irredeemably kind, polite, and thoughtful in the context of cyber-interactions. I like that he can poke fun at himself about his weight and love for chocolate - something that the FtBers seem incapable of attempting. Sometimes I think he's too nice for the internetz, and I've thought the same about a couple of other science bloggers. He might be too accommodationist and gentle for fiercer tastes. He was once a SciBlogs writer IIRC, and left after one of the endless squabble cycles (The Poo-flinging War of Ought-Nine or such). Abbie might remember the details.
Interesting site and he provides an interesting – and quite balanced – overview of the “Poo-flinging War of 2012”, this in particular being quite relevant:
Rebecca equivocates between a field and reportage or misuse of a field. She is clearly trying to poison the well. Similarly, Dawkins does the same thing with religion in The God Delusion. It’s simply dishonest argument, no matter how entertaining.
I said earlier that she was “speaking out of both sides of her mouth”; less charitable individuals might want to go with “two-faced liar”. Reminds me of a cartoon of two 18th century dandies dueling with pistols over some demure young lady: she is standing coyly in the background as they stand back to back, pace out to the requiste distance, turn and … both shoot her as the proximate and egregious cause of their difficulties.

In passing, I note with some amusement that Noelplum has posted a comment there under the handle of “Patriarchae Persona” – the patriarchy personified ….

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ha-haaa - with all the sad predictability of a recurrent herpes sore, Rebecca's Friend has been moved into overdrive in defending her honour. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -and-sing/

Upshot of it: non-qualified people get away with giving science talks, so why can't Rebecca? Fails, of course, to make the distinction between being qualified and having some expertise. And Beckyboos has no expertise whatsoever in the field of evo-psych, as has been made abundantly clear.

Peezee is also taking the Zvan line on rewriting history, and claiming that Rebecca's talk was all about pop evo-psych, and not the field as a whole, when Becca's talk (to me, at least) seemed to make it clear that she was damning evo-psych as a field. Strange why Becky should have been so unclear on this, considering her communications degree. There is indeed a distinction between being being qualified and having expertise, it seems.

Peezee is promising more articles on Evo-psych:
(What’s coming next: I’ll be addressing the possibility that a whole field could be wrong, then I’ll discuss the flawed premises of evolutionary psychology, and then dig into a few sample papers — papers that I’ve been assured represent good evolutionary psychology. By the way, if any valiant defenders of EP want to send me an example of the very best of the field, I’ll try to include some — I do not deny that there can be good research carried out by evolutionary psychologists.)
Because, obviously, Becky was actually quite right about evo-psych. Or was it just pop evo-psych and not the field as a whole? Oh dang, I do wish Becky had just communicated her very precise and insightful ideas a lot better...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaa - with all the sad predictability of a recurrent herpes sore, Rebecca's Friend has been moved into overdrive in defending her honour. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -and-sing/

Upshot of it: non-qualified people get away with giving science talks, so why can't Rebecca? Fails, of course, to make the distinction between being qualified and having some expertise. And Beckyboos has no expertise whatsoever in the field of evo-psych, as has been made abundantly clear...
Yeah, PZ's going all in. Nye, Attenborough, Bryson, Savage, and... Watson. Um, yeah. She ripped the lid off the evo-psych dumpster and they can't handle it.

Daddy's pissed.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -and-sing/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:Ha-haaa - with all the sad predictability of a recurrent herpes sore, Rebecca's Friend has been moved into overdrive in defending her honour. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -and-sing/
If Peezus is intending to take on a field of research in which he holds no expertise then why should we treat his writings as anything other than the non peer reviewed opinions of some guy on the internet.

Write your criticism up in a manuscript and submit it for peer review in a decent journal and if it's accepted then we can talk.
This is exactly the response we give to Intelligent Design advocates when they say they have overthrown evolutionary science.
"Fantastic, get it published and then go collect your Nobel prize!"
Or anti-vaccine kooks. Or homeopaths. Or acupuncturists. Or any number of other individuals claiming to have overthrown the scientific concensus.

Peezus, put your reputation where your mouth is; submit your argument for peer review.
A joint publication in Nature with Rebecca as the other author should do it. :D

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Ye Gods - but Steffy is going overboard in her apologia for Becky's evo-psyche wibblings. The excuses are pretty desperate: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... headlines/
Christ, what a load of horseshit.
So all Rebecca has to do is laugh and we must assume she is just joking?
Or not. We can't tell but it's best to give her the benefit of the doubt, just in case.
Otherwise we are unfairly targeting her.

The thing is that Svan, while coming across as a complete charlatan to anyone with a scientific training, is seemingly able to fool the usual load of FTB sycophants.
Honestly, the only appropriate response to this type of carry on is to point and laugh at her. Yet you get responses like the following - clearly someone who doesn't know how to read a scientific paper.
He seems to think it backs up Rebecca and destroys Ed Clint's argument!
doubtthat says:
December 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

For the record, let’s compare these two thing–

1) Rebecca’s definition of EP:

Well, evolutionary psychology is the idea that humans evolved during the Pleistocene epic, which we did. But also that our brains evolved, which they did. But that our brains stopped evolving then, so that we currently have Pleistocene brains inside modern bodies.

2) PLOS Biology’s peer reviewed description of EP:

According to the Santa Barbara school of Evolutionary Psychology (EP), human minds are organized into a large number of evolved psychological mechanisms—psychological adaptations designed to solve recurrent problems faced by our hunter-gatherer ancestors [30]. These evolutionary psychologists attempt to provide criteria for “carving the mind at its natural joints” [104], generally by reverse-engineering from an observable phenomenon to its proposed function.

The PLOS paper essentially describes traditional, standard versions of EP in the exact terms Rebecca does. It does point out, however, that there are proponents of EP who have taken criticisms of the field’s traditional bullshittiness seriously and improved.

So, Rebecca was not only using EP in its popular sense, she was using it in its traditional academic understanding. Ed Clint was the one using a less standard model. A model, ironically, that agrees with all of Rebecca’s criticisms and uses that knowledge to improve the discipline.
Here's the paper to judge for yourselves.

http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info ... io.1001109

He should have read the next paragraph:
1. The environment of evolutionary adaptedness (EEA). This concept refers to the notion that our psychological mechanisms have evolved in response to stable features of ancestral environments [87]. While the EEA has frequently been equated with an African Pleistocene savanna, this version of the concept has been strongly critiqued [66], and the more recent formulation of the EEA concept presents a broader, less specific theoretical landscape of our past lives, based on an abstract statistical composite of all relevant past selective environments [105].
Watson is looking at an older tenet of EP, and assuming it hasn't been updated at all. This isn't supported even by the paper, and is rather like the Creationist/ID insistence that Evolution is still unchanged from Darwin's work.

She's also assuming a monolithic groupthink amongst EP folks that isn't supported by reality, not even the paper:
However, while AI research has shifted away from an emphasis on domain specificity, some evolutionary psychologists continue to argue that selection would have favoured predominantly domain-specific mechanisms (e.g., [74]). In contrast, others have started to present the case for domain-general evolved psychological mechanisms (e.g., [75],[76]), and evidence from developmental psychology suggests that domain-general learning mechanisms frequently build on knowledge acquired through domain-specific perceptual processes and core cognition [44]. Both domain-specific and domain-general mechanisms are compatible with evolutionary theory, and their relative importance in human information processing will only be revealed through careful experimentation, leading to a greater understanding of how the brain works [44].
Huh...look at that, not everyone in EP thinks the same thing. Almost like science.

But knowing the larger range of EP would require more work than just reading what PeeZus thinks of it. We all know that if she can't fit it in to the period during takeoff and landing, when she can't be in the internets, Becca ain't gonna read it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote:

Upshot of it: non-qualified people get away with giving science talks, so why can't Rebecca? Fails, of course, to make the distinction between being qualified and having some expertise. And Beckyboos has no expertise whatsoever in the field of evo-psych, as has been made abundantly clear...
Yeah, PZ's going all in. Nye, Attenborough, Bryson, Savage, and... Watson. Um, yeah. She ripped the lid off the evo-psych dumpster and they can't handle it.

Daddy's pissed.

I can almost hear PeeZee thinking: Einstein got it wrong about QM! Newton wasted his time with theology and alchemy! Rebecca Watson doesn't know much about evo-psych! Deal with it, haterz!

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

PZ continues to foam at the mouth over this. He seems to be clinging to the two contradictory positions - that Evolutionary Psychology is completely flawed in its premise, yet still says that he does "not deny that there can be good research carried out by evolutionary psychologists". There is nothing consistent about his flailing defense of Becky, except that she cannot possibly be wrong about anything.

Rebecca has no expertise. No qualifications to talk about EP whatsoever. That should be patently obvious to anyone who watches her sorry excuse for a talk, one that even her defenders cannot agree was it was mainly about (was it about "pop EP" or was it about EP in general? No one FTB seems to agree, we just get different flavors of the two answers. I doubt even Becky knows).

And check this out from PZ's most recent post:
It’s a problem in more than just entertainment and politics — it’s also a problem in skepticism. What it really is is an authoritarian defense of orthodoxy that dismisses criticism unless it comes from the right kind of person — preferably one comfortably embedded deeply in the orthodox position.
Oh my goodness, the irony - it burns. Just like the authoritarian defense of orthodoxy that occurs within FreeThoughtBlogs? I wonder if he realizes how ridiculous he sounds writing that, or if he actually believes it.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Bertrand Russell wrote:
...The intellectual thing I should want to say is this: When you are studying any matter, or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted either by what you wish to believe, or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. But look only, and solely, at what are the facts. That is the intellectual thing that I should wish to say. ...

lost control

Post by lost control »

Outwest wrote:I was a decent guitar player in those days. Both of the above spurred me to become better
I played accordion for 7 years, age 9 to 16. Due to breaks in actually having a fitting teacher, not being able to afford a teacher, changing type of accordion I realized at the end, that - no - I wouldn't be good enough in a sensible timeframe to start taking up Scarlatti's sonatas. So I quit, sold my instrument and bought my first own PC, which was at least somewhat up to technical standards of the time.
Well, I now earn my living working in IT, so the decision wasn't too bad, but I missed playing an instrument a lot, so 2 years later I started mostly classical guitar lessons, sadly, I had to abandon them when I did my compulsory military service.

So, now I've got a guitar in my bedroom, that isn't being used. *sigh* One of those days, I hope to take it up again. (Yeah, probaly won't happen.)

I'm not sure if I already posted it... my gal was supposed to get out of hospital this week if current treatment was sufficient for the time being and nothing else came up. Nope, for now another two weeks in, at least. Damn, she's pissed. Judging by our talks on the phone, she's better, but the mood still crazily fluctuates. Oh well, I don't worry about it, cause I know that when she tells me that she doesn't care for any visitors any longer around noon, she'll ask me why I'm not around in the evening.
Not flaky, just terrible mood swings due to her condition. It's fine, usually she's the sweetest, calmest, very chilly person with me, according to her she's still somewhat surprised that she feels so comfortable around me. (Well, I wonder even more, that she actually wants to even spend time with me, cause I'm such a hopeless clusterfuck.)
But as hard as I try to send local aquaintances to her, she still tells me that she doesn't want anyone else showing up besides me and her parents. Which sucks, cause her parents aren't always appropriate and at times manage to make her even more anxious, and I can't be around during the week. I kinda wish her sister could take off, get over herself and get herself into her homestate, even though she doesn't want to be near their parents. At least her sister manages to soothe my gal on the phone when needed. I'm pissed off that I didn't manage to have enough money soon enough to take my gal to the city where her sister lives, cause they don't see each other often enough, but I'm still trying to get my shit back in order after being unemployed for two years due to depression. *sigh* Whatever, so far I still have my boss's word that I can take off as much time as needed when the fair maiden is released form the hospital. And that is a huge improvement over my previous job.

Fuck, I'm babbling, but it's taking over a lot of my thought processes, it really sucks that I can't show up every evening and just hold her if she needs an embrace. I just have to make sure, that the insomnia that's already creeping in doesn't take over, that's just not a good sign, I need to make sure to avoid it, it's a tell-tale for me that another fucking depressive episode is about to happen. Therefore, I dug out my left-over sleeping pills. But as I'm currently off of meds, I could still take some NDRIs up again. iirc, it were NDRIs cause the SSRis didn't work for me...

It sound's almost Aplussy, but I'm glad for this thread, it really distracts me. Keep on posting, even though I'm way behind.
Someone wrote, I don't have to read everything, but I rather spend more time on this, than wonder what certain references are about.
I'm anankastic, so there. :p

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:I can almost hear PeeZee thinking: Einstein got it wrong about QM! Newton wasted his time with theology and alchemy! Rebecca Watson doesn't know much about evo-psych! Deal with it, haterz!
What he's thinking aloud is already mind-roasting. The proper response to Rebecca's speech is "Oh shit, our field needs to clean house! Objectin' to flaws is just hatin', so we'd better get to work." His protective instincts have outrun his brain.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I've read PZ's rant.
To be honest I'm more sad than anything else.
He mentioned 'The Courtiers Reply' at the beginning and it just reminded me that we have lost PZ to rationality.
He once had a good mind. He could write pieces that were insightful and inspirational and not just nasty and bad tempered.
He could use humor rather than vicious spite.
But that PZ is gone.
The one that remains is a very different figure, fuming away to an audience that resembles a left wing version of a survivalist militia.

His own decisions have forced him to adopt exactly the same sort of tactics that he mocked creationists for doing for decades.

So expertise means nothing? Why on earth does he teach at a University then. Let him tell his students it is all for nothing - it will be communication majors with zero study of science that will be chosen as the oracles of science.

Peer review is flawed (I agree to an extent but it's still the best solution to quality control in published science that we have devised)

It is interesting he took on Barbara Drescher :romance-heartsthree: on this one.

Witch of the week?

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

A little palate cleanser for the afternoon.

[youtube]JrzAG6WlzNQ[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Just recently I was chatting with Welch about how similar the New Media Douchebags® in the tech sphere were to those in the "skeptic" sphere. But here's where they differ: John and I have witnessed and participated in fucking epic rants and arguments with tech NMDs. Hell, we're two thirds of a podcast that is devoted to bashing tech pundit idiocy in a manner that would make the likes of Peezus and Becky piss themselves in terror. And yet we have never, never had a single serious threat to have our accounts or websites taken down (well there was the one guy who threatened to sue every person in a comment thread for calling him a racist prick - still waiting on our subpoenas). The utter lack of maturity of the Skepchick/FTB League of Derps is astounding.
Indeed-- In all the years I have dealt with Creationists (getting Dembski in trouble for copyright, dragging Behe through the mud, flipping off Luskin), HIV Deniers (one of the wackiest people I have ever encountered was Lenny Horowitz, and I pissed him off), anti-vaxers (even going into their hives here in OKC), even the XMRV nutters--- *none* of them have reached the insanity levels of the FfTbers/Skepchicks.

Incidentally, at one point Hensley was bragging on Twitter that her husband knew ERV was going to be shut down at NatGeo. She was bragging about her 'insider' info.

Those two creeps certainly deserve each other.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

KarlVonMox wrote:PZ continues to foam at the mouth over this. He seems to be clinging to the two contradictory positions - that Evolutionary Psychology is completely flawed in its premise, yet still says that he does "not deny that there can be good research carried out by evolutionary psychologists". There is nothing consistent about his flailing defense of Becky, except that she cannot possibly be wrong about anything. ...
Yea, I was wondering about that as well. Although to be fair, while I think he is generally being really quite weasely, I think he is sort of consistent, at least there: the whole field of EP “could be wrong” but that “there can be good research”, not that there is good research.

However, I think that facts like altruism and homosexuality prove – almost beyond a shadow of doubt – that significant portions of our behaviour are genetically determined – even if we are, to varying degrees – able to counteract those tendencies.

Really seems kind of "King Canute"-ish if not actually delusional - dogmatism writ large - to deny those facts.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: ...an audience that resembles a left wing version of a survivalist militia.
Spot on!

It amazes me that these SJW types are so oblivious to the contradiction between their ideas and how they would like to see their ideas come to fruit: The world would be a paradise of freedom and equality if only people would stop questioning us and just do what we say.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

And for something completely different. the Atlantics - from Austrailia. Surf Rock.

[youtube]Fwdd0TkhlvI[/youtube]

I like a good guitar riff :clap:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Very good rant, Mykeru (a few typos, but no big deal).
Such is the Slyme Pit. You don't notice your typos until you submit it and then start reading it back in a dramatic voice.

Not too much? I started getting evangelical at the end, but "from hell's heart I stab at thee" has been done already.

So, do we have a pool going? I'm betting good money it was Simon Davis or Steffie Svan or some combination thereof, which mean they and those nearest and dearest to them (like their fat, poultry-faced wives) will be getting my complete and undivided attention.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Mykeru wrote:
Such is the Slyme Pit. You don't notice your typos until you submit it and then start reading it back in a dramatic voice.

Not too much? I started getting evangelical at the end, but "from hell's heart I stab at thee" has been done already.

So, do we have a pool going? I'm betting good money it was Simon Davis or Steffie Svan or some combination thereof, which mean they and those nearest and dearest to them (like their fat, poultry-faced wives) will be getting my complete and undivided attention.
If it's an open bet I'll guess oolon.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Lsuoma wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
fascination wrote:Oh shit, we were supposed to be posting videos of guitarists? I screwed up. I thought we were doing classical music stuff. Oh well.
It has evolved.
And there is also the music thread, created specifically for this...
Good music is always great. Yeah, as long as us peaseants don't go overboard. But hey, from Bach to rock classics and their interpretations of classical stuff? There's worse out there.
Get actually adminny and pissed about us if we started to continuously post Beiber vids. As a mostly lurking person on a bad, slow mobile connection, it doesn't hurt, and I'm pissed that I can't directly listen to the stuff being posted, I bookmark what I'm interested in, the list get's awefully long, but right now, I don't have time in the office, and on the weekends, I'm currently spending over the half of those next to a hospital bed.
tl;dr: I think it's fine for now. Posting amount on each page is ok for the amount of vids being embedded.
And: thanks for providing the forum. I hope you don't have too much to pay for the bandwith being used.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Steersman wrote:
rayshul wrote:...I seem to have a friend in common with Melody on facebook. Now I kinda wanna remove them.
Can't be too careful; you might get serious contamination if you don't ….
Well, I read you're follow up post after that, but it's the internet, wherever you register / post someone might be an absolutely repulsive person, even years after, so don't give to much weight to it.
If any employer gives an actual shit who I follow on twitter, am subscribed to on FB, which fora I happen to have posted on, that's a red flag.
Fuck, if they found out, I'm still a member on a private, invite only gamer forum, which was spawned after the company went down... well, nothing, they might find out I'm a member, it's private. No posts / content revealed to the public.
Seriously, I follow/etc. certain people I don't endorse, but I want to stay informed about. So, now what?
Well, any future employer could simply ask me about stuff, if they'd actually cared how I tick. If they only look at my social / business network profiles, they shouldn't even contact me.
Actually, my current employer even asks us employees to link our current company to the official company page on a business social network, they're at least somewhat getting what a social network is. Yeah, could backfire, but on my business network, I do business, on my tardbook, while linked to my company, if needed I'd simply add my work colleagues to the restricted group, so what? Still better than a ten page add-on contract regarding "business conduct guidelines" which I had to sign at another job, which tried to invade even my private life a lot.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Mykeru wrote:

Just follow those steps:

1-make the rant into a video
2-grab the looneys' attention by posting it here
3-wait for Melody to launch another flagging-crusade on it
4-...
5-PROFIT!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Lost Control: this situation with your girl's health really sucks. Full support and best wishes, of course.

clod

Post by clod »

Is there enough popcorn in the world for the myers evo stick show?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

" It’s a problem in more than just entertainment and politics — it’s also a problem in skepticism. What it really is is an authoritarian defense of orthodoxy that dismisses criticism unless it comes from the right kind of person — preferably one comfortably embedded deeply in the orthodox position."
--The Peez
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/den ... ection.jpg

Much?

welch

Post by welch »

KarlVonMox wrote:PZ continues to foam at the mouth over this. He seems to be clinging to the two contradictory positions - that Evolutionary Psychology is completely flawed in its premise, yet still says that he does "not deny that there can be good research carried out by evolutionary psychologists". There is nothing consistent about his flailing defense of Becky, except that she cannot possibly be wrong about anything.

Rebecca has no expertise. No qualifications to talk about EP whatsoever. That should be patently obvious to anyone who watches her sorry excuse for a talk, one that even her defenders cannot agree was it was mainly about (was it about "pop EP" or was it about EP in general? No one FTB seems to agree, we just get different flavors of the two answers. I doubt even Becky knows).

And check this out from PZ's most recent post:
It’s a problem in more than just entertainment and politics — it’s also a problem in skepticism. What it really is is an authoritarian defense of orthodoxy that dismisses criticism unless it comes from the right kind of person — preferably one comfortably embedded deeply in the orthodox position.
Oh my goodness, the irony - it burns. Just like the authoritarian defense of orthodoxy that occurs within FreeThoughtBlogs? I wonder if he realizes how ridiculous he sounds writing that, or if he actually believes it.

It's a distraction, and one that a lot of people will fall for. The validity or lack thereof is not the problem. Neither PeeZus nor Watson nor anyone here is qualified to pass judgement of any kind on it. That will happen over time as the people in the field do good work that establishes it as a legitimate standalone field, or realize that it is more properly a subdomain of evolutionary biology in general.

The issues that fucking matter are:

1) Did Rebecca give a coherent talk about the problem of Pop EP and the way the media uses it.
2) Did Rebecca, when talking about EP (not Pop) accurately and correctly represent the field.
3) Based on her talk, does it appear that she did actual research into established EP, and make sure to not conflate it with Pop EP and bad media coverage.
4) Is it proper to hold her to any other standard than say that of a circus clown in terms of accuracy?

The answer to 1) and 2) are clear: no. She failed miserably on both counts.
Based on that, it's pretty obvious that she did fuck all for research on actual EP as a discipline, and knows little more about it than how to copy and paste the words "Evolutionary Psychology". So the answer to 3) is also no.

4) Absolutely. If you are going to give a lecture and discuss EP, or Physics or aeronautics, you have a responsibility, *especially* for a "skeptics" convention to have a least a solid lay knowledge of the fucking topic at hand. There's a reason I don't give talks on ERVs and AIDS: I know fuck-nothing about that field. I could probably do a good job with Electronic Countermeasures, although I'd need to brush up a bit, since my knowledge is somewhat old. If you are going to talk about something, especially, *especially* to people who are at BEST, less-informed than you are, you have a fucking responsibility to know what the fuck you're talking about. "She's just a comedian" is not even a good excuse, because if it was, no one, especially PeeZus would give a tinker's fucking DAMN about Bill Maher or even Jenny McCarthy. One IS an actual comedian and the other used to be. So if it matters when Bill Fucking Maher is talking shit about vaccination, because of the harm he MIGHT cause, if it is such a fucking CRIME for Dawkins to recognize Maher's support of science and church/state separation SOLELY because he's a fucking loon on vaccines, then Rebecca Watson gets to be held to the same fucking standards.

You don't need a Ph.D, you just need to give a fuck about your audience beyond the checks they bring you.

Allowing this to become a debate on the validity of EP is playing into PeeZus's hands, because other than maybe Ed, there's fuck all anyone who can properly argue it with him, and PeeZus is NEVER going to directly take on Ed.

The issue at hand is Watson's presentation, and holding her to the same standards the creationists and anti-vax loons are held to. Anything else is a distraction and should be properly ignored.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Indeed-- In all the years I have dealt with Creationists (getting Dembski in trouble for copyright, dragging Behe through the mud, flipping off Luskin), HIV Deniers (one of the wackiest people I have ever encountered was Lenny Horowitz, and I pissed him off), anti-vaxers (even going into their hives here in OKC), even the XMRV nutters--- *none* of them have reached the insanity levels of the FfTbers/Skepchicks.

Incidentally, at one point Hensley was bragging on Twitter that her husband knew ERV was going to be shut down at NatGeo. She was bragging about her 'insider' info.

Those two creeps certainly deserve each other.
Giving Laden a rimjob does not mean he has inside info.

Skeptic_Duh

Post by Skeptic_Duh »

Gotta love PZ in his ep-shut-up-and-sing post.
We’ve actually got people declaring that she only has a bachelor’s degree in communications, therefore she wasn’t qualified to talk about a field of evolutionary biology.
Compared to what he said about Paul Ryan:
The other appalling thing about Ryan is how much the media is puling about how smart he is, and calling him a brilliant policy wonk (also hammered on by Pierce). Ryan is a guy with a bachelor’s degree in economics whose entire career is defined by political gladhanding and devotion to far-right ideological nonsense. He’s not particularly well-qualified; a BA is a degree that gives you a general knowledge of the basics of a field, and it’s a good thing, but it does not turn you into an expert. Ryan’s degree in economics is worth about as much as Bobby Jindal’s degree in biology.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... y-starver/

I would say Ryan is more in a position to talk about economics then Watson is about EB - guess if your an "enemy of the state" - you don't get the same treatment.

I harped about this in my first post here - I don't believe having a piece of paper makes you any smarter than someone else that doesn't.

Watson had some mistakes in her speech - and it was pointed out - I haven't seen Watson doing a post about the mistakes she claims Clint made.

Guess she is to busy boozing up or something....

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh Lord. Half-Fish again. Guessing Crom needs the blog hits. Really you've got to read it. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish because of my appalled hilarity at the lunacy of it all. I'll not spoil the surprise. Trust me, when you see what Half-Fish means by poz and, more alarmingly, conversion, you'll...well, you just gotta see it: http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... tion-lite/