Mykeru wrote: Fat chance, noob.
Touche

Dan

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dan »

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tkmlac wrote: Bahhhhhh! I really hate these sites that talk about how autistics "don't need a cure" they "just need acceptance." I've worked with severe autistics whose behaviors literally keep them in their own world where all they could do is hum and flap their fingers. They couldn't express their wants or needs in any productive way, often screaming when their senses were overloaded. Sometimes, in art, they'd do amazing and beautiful pictures, putting colors together in amazing ways and then just walk away, only having done it because they had been prompted so many times by staff and they just wanted to get it over with. Sometimes, you think you're getting close to them, breaking through somehow, but then you realize her touching your scarf is merely because she likes its softness. They literally can't make a social connection with people and can't focus enough to ever be left alone. Many are in programs with a ratio of one staff to one client, despite the program being fit for 1:4. "Don't need a cure, just acceptance." Because I'm sure that while the autistic person is rocking in the corner with her fingers in here ears, screaming, "acceptance" is going to make her feel better, even though she doesn't even understand the social cues for handshakes. Ugh. /rant.
Here's an exchange that I was a part of recently. Names changed to protect the innocent and the stupid.

Found on a friend's wall. http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.ca/2 ... kable.html
What do you think?
My heart goes out to you, Michael and so many others trapped in our culture with no humane solutions. The reaction will be to attack the guns. But we must provide an accessable system to address mental illness, just as we are striving for medical care for physical ills.

SJW1:
I found that really powerful, but I'm not too sure about the ending. While this child clearly has some violent tendencies, I'm really uncomfortable with the assumption that people with psychiatric disorders are just like mass murderers.

NORMAL1:
not all people with psychiatric disorders are mass murderers, but I'm sure most mass murders have some psychiatric disorder. I mean there would have to be something seriously wrong in your head to be able to do that.

SJW1:
I definitely agree with that, but I also think it's dangerous to start comparing a young kid with a disorder to people who commit horrible crimes. I just don't think mentally ill people need to be even more stigmatized.
I did really like the beginning of this post, though.

KING SJW: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/research_an ... ey%20facts

KING SJW:
Another relevant post from a friend of mine: http://timetolisten.blogspot.ca/2012/12 ... block.html

SJW1:
Those are really interesting posts. Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize so few murderers had mental health problems; it's a lot fewer than I thought.

KING SJW:
Yeah its a common thing we tell ourselves that murderers must be deranged, unbalanced, etc. But this is extremely harmful to people with real mental health issues that aren't a threat to anyone.

KING SJW:
Here's a really good rebuttal to anarchistsoccermom's post: http://theyouthrightsblog.blogspot.ca/2 ... er_16.html

NORMAL2:
When a response contains statements like:
"She is instead a child-hater and a teenager-hater, someone whose words give one the impression she deeply resents having children and probably should not have had them, someone who does not wish to respect her growing children's autonomy, and someone whose underlying assumptions about disability are deeply problematic."
I have to respectfully disagree that it qualifies as either cogent or fair.
Other people with mental health issues aside, the kid scares his own family. His parents as well as his older siblings. I'm not so sure he falls into the "Harmless, Misunderstood, Oppressed Person with a Disability".

NORMAL2:
More brilliance from the so-called "rebuttal" to "I am Adam Lanza's Mother":

"She is a third rate writer and a fifth rate parent (as anyone is that publicly bashes their children on the internet) capitalizing on a tragedy in order to find a greater platform in order to bash her children some more"
Now, seriously. Does any reasonable person think that she is cynically exploiting both a national tragedy and her own child in order to manufacture a viral blog post? How could she have predicted the amount of attention her story would garner?

NORMAL2:
Not to mention the fact that the author of said "rebuttal" deliberately doesn't link to the original blog post she is ham-fistedly attempting to critique. No doubt some of the commenters on her blog took that as permission to not bother to read it.

KING SJW:
The simple fact is she compared her 13 year old son(with his PICTURE) to a number of mass shooters. She discloses his medical condition to the internet, while not under a pseudonym.
This is such a massive breach of privacy and essentially abuse, that what she did was extremely problematic.
I don't know *why* you're looking for reasons to discount the rebuttal to the original post, but you seem to be ignoring that one key criticism. She violated her son's privacy and effectively disclosed a medical condition to the whole internet. This is wrong and you should be able to see it as wrong.
And she didn't link to it because she didn't want to boost the rankings of the original blog. The way google works is that every in-bound link raises the "reliability" of the site in question, and the more reliable a site that links to you, the more juice you get from the link. So a link from a widely read reliable blog could push the original blog up a huge number of rankings, and she'd show up more often in google searches.
There *is* an attribute you can add to links, called rel=nofollow, which tells google and other search engines not to factor this link into their ranking calculations. Blogs now do this automatically for links in comments. I don't think the blog author is aware of rel=nofollow; it is a particularly arcane piece of internet knowledge. So she was just trying to make sure she didn't pump up a site she found detestable.

NORMAL2:
Sorry. Didn't realize Anarchist Soccer Mom was her real name. In the first paragraph she says:

"my 13-year old son Michael (name changed) missed his bus because he was wearing the wrong color pants"

Name changed? Catch that? And perhaps the picture is of the actual kid, perhaps not. I don't know and neither does the author of your response post..
And it's not hard to criticize the so-called rebuttal. The problems with it are rather obvious.
I'm not so much ignoring the "one key criticism" as dismissing it as a hysterical, overblown reaction. One that's typical of reactionary ideologues on the fringe.

KING SJW:
Umm, so its totally okay to disclose someone's medical condition to the internet, even with a couple of pseudonyms(despite the fact that everyone knows her name is Lisa Long...). Thanks for the legal advice!

Or the fact that this kid's mom said he's going to be a killer. Where the kid could easily find it. That is verbal abuse, no less than if she said to him every day, "You are a broken kid. You are just like these horrible killers." directly to his face.
That is child abuse.

NORMAL2:
I disagree that it constitutes child abuse.
Disclosing his medical condition? Not really. She sounds like a mother whose life is being run into the ground trying to deal with a child whose massive behavioural problems are negatively impacting his parents, siblings and probably his peers.
I'm sympathetic to her because I know people who have dealt with exactly this situation. There is no support for parents of children like Michael Soccer Mom.

MR. DANKSWORTH:
I read this yesterday. It is a good overview of what it is like to live with a child with mental disabilities. There is little to no support for families that face these struggles. I know from personal experience, my son has NVLD/Autism spectrum disorder. While I don't have to face the nearly the challenges that the author has to, I can relate and understand where she is coming from. Good on her for giving a voice to the voiceless.

That 'good rebuttal' is a joke. It's written by someone who hasn't the foggiest clue as to what they are talking about.

KING SJW:
autism and other neurodivergence issues... there *are* voices for the "voiceless". People with autism, as you should well know, are not voiceless. Check out ASAN(Autism Self-Advocacy Network) for more information. Autism Speaks is derided by autistics as being the POV only of the parents.

http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -your.html
http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... block.html

Listen to Kassiane. She is an Autism Self-Advocate, and a really kick-ass one. The parents' perspective is not the only one that exists.
But unfortunately, its the only one that gets listened to right now.

MR DANKSWORTH:
Thank you. I am well aware of the dismal, minimal services that are out there, I live it. As for your comments about the parents, I don't even know what to say. As a parent who very well might have to support my child for the rest of his life, a parents perspective is essential for the health and well being of my son, especially when the child is unable to function independently in society. Your links seem to be directed at high functioning autisitc/Aspergers people. That is night and day between what I and others have to deal with.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

ERV wrote:.....
Brayton is one fat mother fucker, and is recovering much better from 'open heart surgery' than my athletic six-pack-abs partner. Its like Brayton didnt even have what would be described as 'open heart surgery' at all! How nice for him.....
Holy fucking shit! Are those zits on the Eggman's forehead? Yikes!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

masakari2012 wrote:
Brayton is one fat mother fucker, and is recovering much better from 'open heart surgery' than my athletic six-pack-abs partner. Its like Brayton didnt even have what would be described as 'open heart surgery' at all! How nice for him.....
Ughh. I guess the grease has to leak out somewhere.

Dan

Post by Dan »

masakari2012 wrote:
It looks like sweat to me

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: Bahhhhhh!
[...]
/rant.
Here's an exchange that I was a part of recently. Names changed to protect the innocent and the stupid.

Found on a friend's wall. http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.ca/2 ... kable.html
What do you think?
My heart goes out to you, Michael and so many others trapped in our culture with no humane solutions. The reaction will be to attack the guns. But we must provide an accessable system to address mental illness, just as we are striving for medical care for physical ills.

SJW1:
I found that really powerful, but I'm not too sure about the ending. While this child clearly has some violent tendencies, I'm really uncomfortable with the assumption that people with psychiatric disorders are just like mass murderers.

NORMAL1:
not all people with psychiatric disorders are mass murderers, but I'm sure most mass murders have some psychiatric disorder. I mean there would have to be something seriously wrong in your head to be able to do that.

SJW1:
I definitely agree with that, but I also think it's dangerous to start comparing a young kid with a disorder to people who commit horrible crimes. I just don't think mentally ill people need to be even more stigmatized.
I did really like the beginning of this post, though.

KING SJW: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/research_an ... ey%20facts

KING SJW:
Another relevant post from a friend of mine: http://timetolisten.blogspot.ca/2012/12 ... block.html

SJW1:
Those are really interesting posts. Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize so few murderers had mental health problems; it's a lot fewer than I thought.

KING SJW:
Yeah its a common thing we tell ourselves that murderers must be deranged, unbalanced, etc. But this is extremely harmful to people with real mental health issues that aren't a threat to anyone.

KING SJW:
Here's a really good rebuttal to anarchistsoccermom's post: http://theyouthrightsblog.blogspot.ca/2 ... er_16.html

NORMAL2:
When a response contains statements like:
"She is instead a child-hater and a teenager-hater, someone whose words give one the impression she deeply resents having children and probably should not have had them, someone who does not wish to respect her growing children's autonomy, and someone whose underlying assumptions about disability are deeply problematic."
I have to respectfully disagree that it qualifies as either cogent or fair.
Other people with mental health issues aside, the kid scares his own family. His parents as well as his older siblings. I'm not so sure he falls into the "Harmless, Misunderstood, Oppressed Person with a Disability".

NORMAL2:
More brilliance from the so-called "rebuttal" to "I am Adam Lanza's Mother":

"She is a third rate writer and a fifth rate parent (as anyone is that publicly bashes their children on the internet) capitalizing on a tragedy in order to find a greater platform in order to bash her children some more"
Now, seriously. Does any reasonable person think that she is cynically exploiting both a national tragedy and her own child in order to manufacture a viral blog post? How could she have predicted the amount of attention her story would garner?

NORMAL2:
Not to mention the fact that the author of said "rebuttal" deliberately doesn't link to the original blog post she is ham-fistedly attempting to critique. No doubt some of the commenters on her blog took that as permission to not bother to read it.

KING SJW:
The simple fact is she compared her 13 year old son(with his PICTURE) to a number of mass shooters. She discloses his medical condition to the internet, while not under a pseudonym.
This is such a massive breach of privacy and essentially abuse, that what she did was extremely problematic.
I don't know *why* you're looking for reasons to discount the rebuttal to the original post, but you seem to be ignoring that one key criticism. She violated her son's privacy and effectively disclosed a medical condition to the whole internet. This is wrong and you should be able to see it as wrong.
And she didn't link to it because she didn't want to boost the rankings of the original blog. The way google works is that every in-bound link raises the "reliability" of the site in question, and the more reliable a site that links to you, the more juice you get from the link. So a link from a widely read reliable blog could push the original blog up a huge number of rankings, and she'd show up more often in google searches.
There *is* an attribute you can add to links, called rel=nofollow, which tells google and other search engines not to factor this link into their ranking calculations. Blogs now do this automatically for links in comments. I don't think the blog author is aware of rel=nofollow; it is a particularly arcane piece of internet knowledge. So she was just trying to make sure she didn't pump up a site she found detestable.

NORMAL2:
Sorry. Didn't realize Anarchist Soccer Mom was her real name. In the first paragraph she says:

"my 13-year old son Michael (name changed) missed his bus because he was wearing the wrong color pants"

Name changed? Catch that? And perhaps the picture is of the actual kid, perhaps not. I don't know and neither does the author of your response post..
And it's not hard to criticize the so-called rebuttal. The problems with it are rather obvious.
I'm not so much ignoring the "one key criticism" as dismissing it as a hysterical, overblown reaction. One that's typical of reactionary ideologues on the fringe.

KING SJW:
Umm, so its totally okay to disclose someone's medical condition to the internet, even with a couple of pseudonyms(despite the fact that everyone knows her name is Lisa Long...). Thanks for the legal advice!

Or the fact that this kid's mom said he's going to be a killer. Where the kid could easily find it. That is verbal abuse, no less than if she said to him every day, "You are a broken kid. You are just like these horrible killers." directly to his face.
That is child abuse.

NORMAL2:
I disagree that it constitutes child abuse.
Disclosing his medical condition? Not really. She sounds like a mother whose life is being run into the ground trying to deal with a child whose massive behavioural problems are negatively impacting his parents, siblings and probably his peers.
I'm sympathetic to her because I know people who have dealt with exactly this situation. There is no support for parents of children like Michael Soccer Mom.

MR. DANKSWORTH:
I read this yesterday. It is a good overview of what it is like to live with a child with mental disabilities. There is little to no support for families that face these struggles. I know from personal experience, my son has NVLD/Autism spectrum disorder. While I don't have to face the nearly the challenges that the author has to, I can relate and understand where she is coming from. Good on her for giving a voice to the voiceless.

That 'good rebuttal' is a joke. It's written by someone who hasn't the foggiest clue as to what they are talking about.

KING SJW:
autism and other neurodivergence issues... there *are* voices for the "voiceless". People with autism, as you should well know, are not voiceless. Check out ASAN(Autism Self-Advocacy Network) for more information. Autism Speaks is derided by autistics as being the POV only of the parents.

http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -your.html
http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... block.html

Listen to Kassiane. She is an Autism Self-Advocate, and a really kick-ass one. The parents' perspective is not the only one that exists.
But unfortunately, its the only one that gets listened to right now.

MR DANKSWORTH:
Thank you. I am well aware of the dismal, minimal services that are out there, I live it. As for your comments about the parents, I don't even know what to say. As a parent who very well might have to support my child for the rest of his life, a parents perspective is essential for the health and well being of my son, especially when the child is unable to function independently in society. Your links seem to be directed at high functioning autisitc/Aspergers people. That is night and day between what I and others have to deal with.
Social justice warriors who don't want to fight for improved quality of life. Fucking boggles my mind.

Services at any age are hard, even in CA where there are laws written into the budget that are supposed to provide a minimum amount of services to DD people, but it's almost impossible for children, and ones that aren't "disabled enough" but suffer from severe mental illness are pretty much ignored. It's terrible. I've seen people shuffled from group home to group home...

I will not be pursuing a Special Ed degree (once a goal of mine) because I just don't have it in me. I am going to pursue education and a teaching credential to get out of the field working w/ DD adults. It's so sad and sick and helpless and the day programs that serve these consumers offer non-livable wages to the staff with almost no benefits. Most of the directors of these private non-profits parade the clients around so they can look "good" to the community and schmooze powerful people. They make a hundred thousand dollars and start their employees out at minimum wage, or close to it, and don't provide teaching materials or training that make the programs anything more than babysitting facilities. Group homes are often even worse, with clients coming in dirty, broken and ragged shoes, clothes and belts, sour food and dirty lunchboxes because the staff at home don't want to do their job. Want to report it? Call their service coordinator and find out the client hasn't had a fucking service coordinator for two fucking years. And CA is a "good" example.

When I got my first job in this field, I thought I'd be doing it forever, I loved it so much. Now, I'm just sad.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

New post from Karla Porter:

http://karlaporter.com/relationship-man ... onferences

10 Thoughts on Inappropriate Sexual Behavior at Conferences

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Jan Steen wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote: I'm getting a bit sick of the appropriation of the "slymepitter" label to mean "anyone who disagrees with us".
It's a simple and effective (for the FfTB choir, anyway) smear. An obvious propaganda tactic. It's not unexpected, after all, it wouldn't be Freethought Blogs if they weren't libeling and smearing and making false accusations.

The good thing is, the desperate tactic shows we loom large in their minds. They can't get rid of us, and they can't stop us from showing the whole community their hypocrisy and scummy methods. And it's gotta frustrate the fuck out of Peezus et. al., because they continually have to deal with this place and play their denial and misdirection games every time we point out their latest shenanigans.

If they weren't bothered by us, they'd ignore us.
I wouldn't be surprised if many members here were, like me, first alerted to this site by the constant references to the evil Slympit and its disgusting denizens by PZ et al. It would go so far as to say that PZ is the 'pit's most effective propagandist. Maybe he should be offered an honorary membership, or something like that.

Not bad. We can give him that, and then he can ban himself and send himself to the dungeon. But then, we'd be out of a lot of lulz.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

franc wrote:
"I am on a vacation..."

From what? Dodging Japanese whaler harpoons?
Back in my day, what she calls a vacation, we called unemployment. Times sure have changed, uphill both ways....

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

Hey. Any of you looking for work?

http://i.imgur.com/7LnTi.png

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

I'd rather collect bottles on the street.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

justinvacula wrote:New post from Karla Porter:

I am not sure who Karla Porter is, but she seems to know who Rebecca Watson and PZ Myers are.

http://i.imgur.com/6b1zd.jpg

comslave

Post by comslave »

HoneyWagon wrote:Hey. Any of you looking for work?

do I look like a bitch?
[youtube]lNlePuVM3Ic[/youtube]

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

I'd rather work for Hitler. That woman...ugggghhhh.

comslave

Post by comslave »

WoolyBumblebee wrote:http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 733c2b.jpg

:character-cartman:
Where have I seen that before....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tv6DJxVDN-Y/U ... egarde.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

welch wrote: She's a wussy. It was not blazing hit that day or even close. She should come here in August when the temp and humidity are both triple digits.
Confirmed. St Pete/Clearwater in august is a bloody nightmare. Ok, it's a bit south of Tallahassee, but still.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

somedumbguy wrote:
justinvacula wrote:New post from Karla Porter:

I am not sure who Karla Porter is, but she seems to know who Rebecca Watson and PZ Myers are.

http://i.imgur.com/6b1zd.jpg
I like Karla Porter a lot. She's wicked smart and not afraid to share her mind. Her and I had a great discussion about conference policies at atheist conventions. http://karlaporter.com/relationship-man ... uct-policy

I'm pretty much in the camp of "extensive policy statements are not necessary" now.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

comslave

Post by comslave »

So one of the causes of the athiest movement meltdown has been the ratio of females to males at conferences. Oh no, it wasn't 50/50. From what I heard, they were getting around 25% women. It must be Misogynyâ„¢!

In the meantime, I'm watching this atheist census, and...
http://www.atheistcensus.com/

The problem isn't the behavior of men at conferences, its that women aren't as atheist as men.

But ignoring the facts, the wymenz (I count PZ in that group) want the sexual rules of a priesthood (without the underaged buttsex) imposed on the movement.

Maybe that's why the women are scared away. We're sending the message "join atheism and never get laid again!"

Plonk

Post by Plonk »

comslave wrote:In the meantime, I'm watching this atheist census, and...
Japan are conspicuous by their absence -- only 30 entries!

comslave

Post by comslave »

Plonk wrote:

I'll grant this isn't a scientific poll, but someone would need to explain to me the part of patriarchy theory that would keep female atheists from answering it.

franc

Post by franc »

Plonk wrote:
Not really. They just don't care. Cesspit of lies -
Upper estimates suggest that 84–96 percent of the Japanese population subscribe to Buddhism or Shinto
Religion or absence of it doesn't really make their list of "concerns to noted".

comslave

Post by comslave »

Al Stefanelli wrote:I'll just leave this here

[youtube]ELio6GKcW2M[/youtube]

Don't you just love how Youtube shows that "suggested video because you watched this one" screen on at the end?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Now, I have to wonder: have the baboons ever heard of the concept "individual"?

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Skep tickle wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:I'm fairly sure that 'aspies' have roughly the same range of language to throw at people as 'neurotypicals'. Lets be honest here; Asperger's Syndrome is not a hugely debilitating condition. Suffers still have have easily enough mental capacity to be dicks to people.

The reason for all this seems to have been lost in this monolithic thread. Whats this guy done other than being pretentious?
Here's a place to start: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/search.ph ... 3%A9+McKen

Here's a recent link to a post JM put up:
Dan wrote:Joé McKen has a new post up about Al and the Pit. http://preliatorcausa.blogspot.com/2012 ... .html#more
Woah. OK, thats fair then. I just didn't want to join in ripping the piss out of someone for nothing, but that shit is retarded: "I did skip past some of the more lengthy segments... I understood his arguments perfectly"

The chap seems to think he is telepathic.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

comslave wrote:So one of the causes of the athiest movement meltdown has been the ratio of females to males at conferences. Oh no, it wasn't 50/50. From what I heard, they were getting around 25% women. It must be Misogynyâ„¢!

In the meantime, I'm watching this atheist census, and...

The problem isn't the behavior of men at conferences, its that women aren't as atheist as men. ...
Variable quality of these studies, so take them w/ a grain of salt:

1) Women are more religious than men: http://www.pewforum.org/The-Stronger-Se ... aking.aspx
2007 study, in the US. 7-17 percentage point gap between women & men on each of the religiosity questions they asked (with women higher than men).

Besides which,

2) Women & men use their time differently online: (http://mashable.com/2010/07/28/women-on-the-web/
- Women are more likely to spend their online time on social networking than men
- Women spend more time shopping online and are more likely to make purchases (apparel, accessories, books, music, and toys)
- Use of twitter is a bit higher among women, but:
...women use Twitter more for finding deals, following celebrities and their own self-defined purposes than to post tweets or read tweets from the people they follow.
3) Women & men may choose to spend their leisure time differently?? I tried a couple of searches to see what was out there about this, but it all seems to vary greatly by a number of factors including age, marital status, presence/absence of children, and income - and also to be a favorite topic of "lifestyle" magazines, which probably tend to survey their readership and/or present the results so as to stroke their readers' egos or otherwise aim for feel-good/buy-me/etc.

Rawrsome

Post by Rawrsome »

Skep tickle wrote: Variable quality of these studies, so take them w/ a grain of salt:

1) Women are more religious than men: http://www.pewforum.org/The-Stronger-Se ... aking.aspx
2007 study, in the US. 7-17 percentage point gap between women & men on each of the religiosity questions they asked (with women higher than men).

Besides which,

2) Women & men use their time differently online: (http://mashable.com/2010/07/28/women-on-the-web/
- Women are more likely to spend their online time on social networking than men
- Women spend more time shopping online and are more likely to make purchases (apparel, accessories, books, music, and toys)
- Use of twitter is a bit higher among women, but:
...women use Twitter more for finding deals, following celebrities and their own self-defined purposes than to post tweets or read tweets from the people they follow.
3) Women & men may choose to spend their leisure time differently?? I tried a couple of searches to see what was out there about this, but it all seems to vary greatly by a number of factors including age, marital status, presence/absence of children, and income - and also to be a favorite topic of "lifestyle" magazines, which probably tend to survey their readership and/or present the results so as to stroke their readers' egos or otherwise aim for feel-good/buy-me/etc.

That's just the patriarchy talking.

franc

Post by franc »

In case anyone's low on their gibberish quota for the day -

https://thetruepooka.wordpress.com/2012 ... e-first-2/

Steersman

Re: News Flash

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:Ophelia, Stephanie, Rebecca, Jen, and Greta all read the profile of Dr. Levi-Montalcini, and have summarily retracted and apologized for all their whingeing "poor little me" dishonest victim posts.

[spoiler]Not really.[/spoiler]
Quite right. And along the same line I note that Ed Brayton has recently at least acknowledged the existence of “radical feminism” in his It Appears I’ve Started An ‘Atheist Cult’ post:
And can we stop all this nonsense about “radical feminism”? There really is such a thing and it is embodied by folks like Andrea Dworkin, second wave feminists who are anti-sex, anti-porn, anti-prostitution. Does that really accurately describe pro-sex feminists like Ophelia, Stephanie, Jen, Greta and Rebecca? If you really think that Rebecca Watson or any of the others he names hates men, you cannot possibly have met them.
Although it seems that Feminist Whore is giving him a run for his money on that highly questionable point. But in any case, I suppose that is at least a start. No doubt to be followed very shortly by Ophelia Benson conceding that it was wrong of her to say that connecting the word ‘feminism’ with the word ‘virulent’ … is misogyny” … [spoiler]. :D . :laughing-rolling:[/spoiler]
However, I can’t help but notice – “sore thumb” caliber – that Brayton still seems to be unclear on a concept or two which sort of belies his disputing that he hasn’t actually “started a cult”:
While we’re at it, can we also stop with the constant and moronic references to witch burnings and inquisitions? Michael Shermer is not a poor persecuted soul being chased by villagers with torches and pitchforks, he’s a guy who said something very sexist and stupid and is being criticized for it. He had an opportunity to say, “Yeah, that was really dumb and sexist. I’d like to apologize for that and work with others to see if we can come up with a solution to make secular communities more inclusive and welcoming to women.” He chose instead to double down on the problem and make it considerably worse.
The thing is Ed, you haven’t actually proven that Shermer’s comments qualify as sexism. They may appear to be that way to you, but to insist that everyone else has to accept that interpretation – particularly when there is a notable dearth of evidence – tends to qualify as peddling dogma – sort of a salient attribute of cults. Q.E.D.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Git wrote: If that's your little fuzzy friend, then its an awesome beast. More kitteh avatars please, else Sacha's flocks of carrion will take over teh pit.
I think you mean carrion-eating birds
few.jpg
(217.37 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
more.jpg
(154.2 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
murder.jpg
(218.74 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

sacha

Post by sacha »

Git wrote: If that's your little fuzzy friend, then its an awesome beast. More kitteh avatars please, else Sacha's flocks of carrion will take over teh pit.
size matters
size matters.png
(156.81 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:
Mykeru? May I please borrow your ice pick?
Here you go. Standard issue Italian Social Club model:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-point ... e-pick.jpg

P.S. Quid pro quo penetration?
during, or after?

sacha

Post by sacha »

katamari Damassi wrote:
sacha wrote:
From what I have read, vasectomy reversal it is closer to a 98% or 99% success rate with the surgical technology of today, but instead of linking numerous sources, perhaps Skeptickle or Barn Owl or other person more qualified to answer the "easily reversed" question would do so.
I guess I'm not current on this. Still, better safe than sorry. Something could always go wrong.
better safe than sorry? There are seven billion people on this planet.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Reading more on the Thunderf00t drama - this was Amy's fault, right?

For someone who makes ceramics she appears to have great power and authority. Perhaps she's the biggest advertiser on all atheist media.

Scary.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:
Mykeru? May I please borrow your ice pick?
Here you go. Standard issue Italian Social Club model:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-point ... e-pick.jpg

P.S. Quid pro quo penetration?
during, or after?
Well, after the post ice-picking impromptu concrete pouring, I mean.

Notung

Post by Notung »

We were talking about Derren Brown a few weeks ago. I think with 'cunt' and someone else. If anyone's interested, here's a longer version of my opinion.

http://skepticink.com/notung/2012/12/31 ... ren-brown/

Darren

Post by Darren »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Now, I have to wonder: have the baboons ever heard of the concept "individual"?
Sorry, Phil, but this post sounds decidedly emo.

I don't like emos.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Tkmlac wrote:Social justice warriors who don't want to fight for improved quality of life. Fucking boggles my mind.

Services at any age are hard, even in CA where there are laws written into the budget that are supposed to provide a minimum amount of services to DD people, but it's almost impossible for children, and ones that aren't "disabled enough" but suffer from severe mental illness are pretty much ignored. It's terrible. I've seen people shuffled from group home to group home...

I will not be pursuing a Special Ed degree (once a goal of mine) because I just don't have it in me. I am going to pursue education and a teaching credential to get out of the field working w/ DD adults. It's so sad and sick and helpless and the day programs that serve these consumers offer non-livable wages to the staff with almost no benefits. Most of the directors of these private non-profits parade the clients around so they can look "good" to the community and schmooze powerful people. They make a hundred thousand dollars and start their employees out at minimum wage, or close to it, and don't provide teaching materials or training that make the programs anything more than babysitting facilities. Group homes are often even worse, with clients coming in dirty, broken and ragged shoes, clothes and belts, sour food and dirty lunchboxes because the staff at home don't want to do their job. Want to report it? Call their service coordinator and find out the client hasn't had a fucking service coordinator for two fucking years. And CA is a "good" example.

When I got my first job in this field, I thought I'd be doing it forever, I loved it so much. Now, I'm just sad.
I worked briefly - though not briefly enough - in a medium-secure psychiatric unit. After the Thatcher government closed all the state run long-stay residential facilities in favour of "care in the community" there was literally nowhere to go for thousands of patients who simply could not live "in the community" because they were - in the words of the Mental Health Act "a danger to themselves or others".

Companies like the one I worked for leapt at the opportunity. They would get these patients off the streets - where the very idea of them was scaring the voters. While providing the government with a fig-leaf so they could say they hadn't had to do a u-turn on their stupidly excessive cuts.

Of course, once the patients were tidied away they, and all new patients, had to kept out of view. The companies had every successive government over a barrel. By the time I had my brief dalliance, they were charging the NHS over £250,000 per patient per year for what I soon came to categorise as "embarrassing loony storage". Every possible expense from food to therapy was cut to the bone. The only exception being the state-mandated ratio of nurses to patients.

Those nurses were the most contemptable bunch of shits I've ever worked with. They had almost all been recruited from Rampton and Broadmoor. They were members, not of a nursing union, but of the Prison Officers Association, who didn't give a shit about the patients and stole anything that wasn't nailed down.

Anyone who opposed them in any way was subjected to a strange sort of wheedling which, if it failed, was followed by an immediate escalation to abuse and threats. I was puzzled by this, not having encountered it before (in some kids at school, not in a large group of adults anyway). A member of the nursing staff outside the clique (and like all such, only briefly employed there) clued me in. He found them hilarious. When I asked him about the nurses behaviour he explained:

"That's classic psychotic behaviour, if you can stand working in a place like Broadmoor for years, there's a good chance you're enough like the patients for them to bring it out in you." I don't know how medically accurate that was, but it seemed to fit the facts.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Zenspace wrote:
franc wrote:
Reap wrote:
Sophistry wrote:Not sure how to link but Adam Lee has a post about Reap on BigThink:

http://bigthink.com/daylight-atheism/th ... eeze-peach
Nice I'm important to adam lee, now my life has meaning
Poor dear has bloodied fingers deleting comments and banning people.
What happened to that free speech thing he was going on so adamantly about? Ah, well, par for the course with his new found friends. :roll:
They always give their stock answer - that they're not limiting your freedom of speech because you're free to say what you want... anywhere else.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

I've blogged a summary of the business with PZ Myers and the GravityLight (lumengate?)

http://edgepenguin.com/content/enlightenment.html

If I've got anything wrong I'd appreciate it pointing out.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

comslave wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:I'll just leave this here

[youtube]ELio6GKcW2M[/youtube]

Don't you just love how Youtube shows that "suggested video because you watched this one" screen on at the end?
I'm watching the hand expression video. AWESOME... I want to do that now. But I am not lactating... guess I'm going to have to work hard and make it happen.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

rayshul wrote: Meanwhile I know this link has appeared before but my goodness it's worth it to read again. It's a beautiful fucking thing. A+ refusing to help woman with project about sexism.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3370
I hadn't actually clicked over to that the first time this link was shared here, so thanks for the lulz. That's some pretty selfish juvenile shit.

1. Backpackergirl asks for help with an article about a problem.
2. Plussers jump all over her shit for not including their problems, and whine about being marginalized.
3. After ridiculous dogpile, backpackergirl relents in the spirit of conciliation and says she will accept contributions about all their problems... but makes the mistake of suggesting that some people were not criticising constructively during the dogpile.
4. New dogpile starts, attacking backpackergirl for "tone policing", and people still refuse to help her out of pure spite.
5. Another new dogpile starts simultaneously, when backpackergirl suggest she actually knows the difference between sex and gender. Setar, as usual, us most helpful, telling her "fuck you with the energy of a thousand fuck yous condensed into a single green lantern ring of fuck you.", and tells her to get the fuck out.
6. Backpackergirl does leave, as her total post count of 3 posts indicates.

That's not only comedy gold, it's a fucking perfect overview of A+theism.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Well, it's close enough to the new year now in my time zone (T - 40 minutes) that I can wish you all a happy new year, and at least be correct in New Zealand time! And also on that little island close to the +12 meridian.

So best for the new year to all! Especially to Renee and lost control, who have all had crappy stuff happen to their loved ones recently, and anyone else who is having a tough time at the moment or are being forced to relocate to Los Vegas... my condolences!

As for me, I'm having a quiet new years eve at home with a couple of beers and my dog, who has insanely long legs:

http://i.imgur.com/Q7udS.jpg

I would also like to extend my new years jubilance to the little bird who flew into the office window at work last month... I hope your wing is feeling better:

http://i.imgur.com/Iutw3.jpg

Darren

Post by Darren »

And, fuck it. Happy new year to Eucliwood too.

I'm just in that good a mood.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

EdgePenguin wrote:I've blogged a summary of the business with PZ Myers and the GravityLight (lumengate?)

http://edgepenguin.com/content/enlightenment.html

If I've got anything wrong I'd appreciate it pointing out.
Assuming it's correct, LOL @ PZ Myers!!!! a walking embarrassment it is. (From now on, they're all its to me. I'm just so angry, and calling lowly people "it" calms me down and helps me think of them as newborns or subhumans)

However, I really hope that 250k was their own and not taken out of some sort of public fund. Not that it's not enlightening and all, but it doesn't justify taking away that much money.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

sacha wrote:
size matters
size matters.png
I always liked this one:
http://gerizahner.com/Fun/Images/cat_eagle.jpg

cunt

Post by cunt »

Notung wrote:We were talking about Derren Brown a few weeks ago. I think with 'cunt' and someone else. If anyone's interested, here's a longer version of my opinion.

http://skepticink.com/notung/2012/12/31 ... ren-brown/
So I propose this: Brown carries on doing his shows in the way he does them already. They’re good shows. However, to counter the misguided notion that he’s demonstrating the power of NLP, he explicitly states somewhere that all of the NLP in his shows is misdirection, so that skeptical people can dig it out whenever we encounter someone who wants to use Derren Brown as proof that NLP is magic.
Brown has already done this.
http://derrenbrown.co.uk/claim-claim-2/

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Heh. Exactly, Jan.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Nice to be around? Once more, the patrimony thwarts Laden's hopes of saving the world getting a job.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

comslave wrote:
I'll grant this isn't a scientific poll, but someone would need to explain to me the part of patriarchy theory that would keep female atheists from answering it.
Because "pie-chart" starts with the same first letter as *enis. FACT, not theory!

Darren

Post by Darren »

...and tonights lame attempt at humor is bought to you by:

http://i.imgur.com/GSKlL.jpg

Post by Guest »

Gumby wrote:
rayshul wrote: Meanwhile I know this link has appeared before but my goodness it's worth it to read again. It's a beautiful fucking thing. A+ refusing to help woman with project about sexism.

I hadn't actually clicked over to that the first time this link was shared here, so thanks for the lulz. That's some pretty selfish juvenile shit.
They must be so much fun at parties. :roll:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Darren

Post by Darren »

Oooh... nicely done!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote:
Gumby wrote:

They must be so much fun at parties. :roll:
http://cityofbyroncity.files.wordpress. ... r3i0q9.jpg