Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Za-zen

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Za-zen »

How dare the SCA appoint someone that the fftb didn't approve! I'd love to get a peak at stefunnys email full of rage tears to herb. The paragraphs of delusioned self importance, framed with her own special flavour of victimhood would provide enough material for a new monty python.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

LMU wrote:I've never understood the anger at JV. I think I haven't seen most of what he's written or said because I havent pursued it, but what I have seen was scrupulously polite and fair. Was there some particular act that incensed them or have they just been hating him for his associations this whole time? If so that is exceptionally petty of them.
Justin disagreed with them folks at some point. Capital crime! He also posted Amy's IRL address here (which, while I think was a bad move, served to prove a point: that he didn't counter-DMCA her to get her infos, as they were already easily available).

So, no, not "exceptionally petty of them". Just the usual.

I will bet on Justin doing actual things anyday, whereas my 3-weeks-old coffee mug bottom mold (which has discovered the wheel and slood by now) is still too much for their ilk.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Scented Nectar wrote: There have been studies showing that the pay gap in the STEM fields are because the women are choosing to hold the second job of motherhood at the same time as their day jobs. These women end up working far less hours and applying for the lesser houred (and lesser paid) positions.
Over the years I noticed that it was pretty common in IT that when the kids came, we had yet another SAHM. She might come back for a year or so, but it was a "fuck you and fuck this job" pretty much by the time the second nipper showed up. There were exceptions, but not many.

Among my girl friends, the Doctors, Nurses, and Dentists and Accountants went for reduced hours. No exceptions. None. Even though this was a small sample of seven, I was unsurprised about the study results as a consequence.

So to me, it makes sense to incorporate the fact that most women will choose to go down this road when making plans.

Only way to stop it is to make SAHM (Stay At Home Moms) illegal, or I suppose the next best thing would be to make it illegal to keep your kids out of day care. I hear that in at least one country you have to put your kids into day care as soon as they turn one year old or face severe penalties.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Congrats Justin.

I thought that A+ nonsense was supposed to be this mighty organization for doing things? Well FfTB, why aren't you doing things, besides wallowing around in self pity and going to the bank. Losers.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Justin disagreed with them folks at some point. Capital crime! He also posted Amy's IRL address here (which, while I think was a bad move, served to prove a point: that he didn't counter-DMCA her to get her infos, as they were already easily available).
Black Svan hasn't yet condemned (neither has anybody else) Scurvy Amy's reveal of ElevatorGate's real name via a DMCA counternotice sent to her.

Svan can fuck off until she calls out Scurvy Amy.

Git

Post by Git »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Justin disagreed with them folks at some point. Capital crime! He also posted Amy's IRL address here (which, while I think was a bad move, served to prove a point: that he didn't counter-DMCA her to get her infos, as they were already easily available).
Black Svan hasn't yet condemned (neither has anybody else) Scurvy Amy's reveal of ElevatorGate's real name via a DMCA counternotice sent to her.

She can just fuck off full stop. Bunch of entitled pricks.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Tuvok: "Scurvy Amy's reveal of ElevatorGate's real name...."

Huh? We now know who elevator guy is/was? Since when? Who is he?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote:At the time, amusingly, I was sitting at a table with four women (including myself) who worked full time while their partners were stay-at-home dads. It's not the norm here, but it's definitely not unusual.
It is not unusual in my neighbourhood either, but they are most certainly a minority here.
rayshul wrote: Perhaps it's not so much deliberately sexist but more like she was completely not up with the times or the culture, where men are quite often the stay-at-home parent. The fact this came from a female "leader" and feminist who had considerable say over women's rights in the country... hmMMMmmMmmm.
It can be difficult to keep up with rapidly changing societal mores. I can not tell you how surprised I was to discover the "hook up" culture. It would have been so easy for me not notice it either.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

CommanderTuvok wrote:The Baboons are really kicking off on Twitter.
EberhartSlimeball.jpg
They really don't like the fact that Justin has got himself a new position. Some of the comments are from supporters and defenders of bullying at FfTB.

They are A-Star hypocrites.

PS - good to see Steffy butthurt again.
I thought JT was done with SCA when he quit? He should also know, from personal experience, that SCA will muzzle their employees as needed, because he was. Technically, he should be glad Vacula is now with them. Dumbass.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

My EQ2 GM (she has a sense of humor) just set me this via eMail:
urinals.jpg
(39.02 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

LMU wrote:I've never understood the anger at JV. I think I haven't seen most of what he's written or said because I havent pursued it, but what I have seen was scrupulously polite and fair. Was there some particular act that incensed them or have they just been hating him for his associations this whole time? If so that is exceptionally petty of them.
Those were my assumptions also. Plus his number came up for the "Witch of the week".

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Of course it’s easier and faster to write stupid things than it is to refute them, and I could employ myself for a week in the pursuit of a thorough refutation of everything in Nurdy’s post.
That's from Crommunist's post on misogynist as the new nigger...

Sounds a bit Greta ey...

I WOULD LOVE TO REFUTE THIS BUT I AM LIKE SO BUSY RIGHT NOW OMFG U SHOULD SEE THE STATE OF MY HAIR AND I HAVE TO GO TO THE BANK OH GOSH.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

CommanderTuvok wrote:

She followed through on a grand total of ZERO of those, right?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: There have been studies showing that the pay gap in the STEM fields are because the women are choosing to hold the second job of motherhood at the same time as their day jobs. These women end up working far less hours and applying for the lesser houred (and lesser paid) positions.
Over the years I noticed that it was pretty common in IT that when the kids came, we had yet another SAHM. She might come back for a year or so, but it was a "fuck you and fuck this job" pretty much by the time the second nipper showed up. There were exceptions, but not many.
I've had completely the opposite experience in IT. I don't think any women in my wider area have taken more than 6 months off (and that was for twins!) and most have stay-at-home husbands or husbands who share care. ANECDOTALLY women seem to take off about the same amount of time as men and that men who return want more flexible hours (working from home, etc). However, our workplace is incredibly supportive of new parents which I suspect makes a huge difference. Really, amazingly supportive. I don't think you lose women staff so readily if you provide them with the right conditions.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

This didn't last long amidst Svan's latest circle jerk.
IC1.jpg
(56.36 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
IC2.jpg
(52.43 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
It seems they like to edit history when their bullshit and hypocrisy is called out!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

CommanderTuvok wrote:This didn't last long amidst Svan's latest circle jerk.
IC1.jpg
IC2.jpg
It seems they like to edit history when their bullshit and hypocrisy is called out!
I guess the lulz will never stop. Do these people even realize what they look like to an outlooker?

No, don't answer that, it was rethoric.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:@ Scented Nectar,

That video on your blog about the "Grand Island Preschooler Asked to Change the Sign for His Name in School" was funny.

That school board is a contender with the TDSB in my opinion.
The video was by Desertphile, who doesn't make vids often, but when he does, they're quite funny. A commenter on the YouTube Mix says that the school board has changed its mind. Is TDSB the Toronto District one?
Aye, that is who I had in mind.
They bend over backwards for religion. Pisses me off. The schools are not secular enough here. First there's the waste of money catholic separate system, and then the regular ones allowing muslim prayer sessions. That's all got to go. No tax money or school space should go to that.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AndrewV69 wrote:

Among my girl friends, the Doctors, Nurses, and Dentists and Accountants went for reduced hours. No exceptions. None. Even though this was a small sample of seven, I was unsurprised about the study results as a consequence.

So to me, it makes sense to incorporate the fact that most women will choose to go down this road when making plans.

Only way to stop it is to make SAHM (Stay At Home Moms) illegal, or I suppose the next best thing would be to make it illegal to keep your kids out of day care. I hear that in at least one country you have to put your kids into day care as soon as they turn one year old or face severe penalties.
I have nothing against stay at home moms, but it is a choice that takes away from some careers, being almost impossible to do both.

I just wish that feminists would acknowledge that the pay gap in STEM fields is due to women choosing the stay at home with kids role, over high paying careers. There IS equality of opportunity and as long as that's there, great. It doesn't matter much how many choose which choice, because as long as the choice is there, things are equal. And it goes nicely with the equal opportunity that men have to take on the housekeeping/kid-raising role. Even if only a few choose it, the equal opportunity's there, and that's what's important.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote: I've had completely the opposite experience in IT. I don't think any women in my wider area have taken more than 6 months off (and that was for twins!) and most have stay-at-home husbands or husbands who share care. ANECDOTALLY women seem to take off about the same amount of time as men and that men who return want more flexible hours (working from home, etc). However, our workplace is incredibly supportive of new parents which I suspect makes a huge difference. Really, amazingly supportive. I don't think you lose women staff so readily if you provide them with the right conditions.
I guess it depends on which sector of IT you are talking about. Programming did a lot better than than Engineering/Support probably because the programmers had less brutal hours. Engineering always had their changes scheduled for times like 1:00 am on a Sunday with a backout if required for no later than 5:30 am. Not to mention the joys of working weekends and all public holidays including Christmas eve and New Years.

cunt

Post by cunt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:This didn't last long amidst Svan's latest circle jerk.

I guess it hurt their precious fee-fees.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sacha wrote:
Guest wrote:
ERV wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA! A fat joke AND a sexist joke!

Last person on Earth who should be making fun of others 'stretched' waistlines and sagging sacks of sexualized skin: Twatson.
Is Watson fat? I've never met her or seen her in person. :orcs-buttshake:
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 1153#p1153
scroll down the photo.
With this and all the calendar fuss, does this mean the skepchicks won't be posting to "guess her muff" ? (yeah, definitely a NSFW site, either the original or the 2.0)

(although, as an aside, I do think the wedding pics are a bit tasteless, and the ones done in a mirror are a bit sad - even if they look great - but, they want to do it, so more power to them.)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Also a belated congrats to Justin - if you hear a reaction from the others in the SCA, please relate it, especially if it's funny. Hopefully they are a bit more rational than the baboons.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Oh for fuck's fucking sake. Just when you thought you'd seen the most incredible "privilege" bullshit, they deliver this gem, in a Meyers thread about introverts/extroverts:

Fossil Fishy wrote:
One of the misconceptions about introverts is that we’re all misanthropes.
Akira MacKnzie twatsplains it:
That’s because our culture is dominated by extrovert privilige.
Pretentious cunt, what the fuck are you talking about? Here is Akira's plan for dealing with the oppression which keeps xir down:
Brown Recluse here too: Leave me alone or I will seriously fuck you up.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

Now, here's a lovely admission from Ophelia: she edits commenters' input and is proud of it:

frogmistress, comment #5
Either they didn’t look into him at all or they did and just didn’t care what they found. I really hope its the former, because the latter is just too disappointing.
frogmistress, comment #6:
I typed ladder. Awesome.
Ophelia, comment #7:
But I corrected it before you mentioned it. Your secret could have been safe! :D
Wow. This cunt is explaining to her readers that she will be editing their comments for clarity. And that they should keep quiet about it.

What a tremendous cunt.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-290999

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

CommanderTuvok wrote:The Baboons are really kicking off on Twitter.
EberhartSlimeball.jpg
They are A-Star hypocrites.
That would be the same JT Eberhart who laughed, cheered & encouraged Becca's chronic viciously embarrassing mysoginst hazing of a female volunteer.
That one.
"A-Star Hypocrite" is not anywhere near enough a strong enough adjective to begin to describe the brainless clueless suck-hole.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote: Bingo! You've hit the nail on the head. It's to the point where they try to convince themselves and others that they are still sexually attractive by making up come-on stories...

Aging is a fact of life. The older you get, the less sexually attractive you are in general (yeah, I know there's exceptions). My goal in life has always been to get to a happy but very old age. That means seeing my sexual attractiveness lessen until at some wrinkley point it will just be gone for good. People who fight aging are fighting a battle you can't win unless you die early.
This is just more victim mentality from them. They are obsessed with sympathy for themselves.

It is why the Skepchicks are well known for their animosity towards other women. The behaiour isn't subtle.

It is also a integral part of why they recently began to despise men.
Rather selfish to take advantage of Evolutionary Neurology that helped to ensure the species survival, but deny that right to the next generation.

*The following is written from a heterosexual perspective, will someone with experience please confirm or deny the same behaviour within the majority of elder single homosexuals?

Once a woman can no longer rely on their appearance alone, being sexually attractive has everything to do with the way she carries herself. The majority of men have never been able to depend on their looks alone, and they know the successful pull has everything to do with confidence (and humour).

So at least until they are over 30, women have it so easy they do not need to make the slightest effort, they do not need to be the one who has the courage to approach a person that interests them, they do not need to think of something interesting to say, in order to have the person bother to listen, they do not need to be able to make the person laugh (see Hitch's Why Women Aren't Funny) to get their attention and focus (and smile). They do not need to go through being rejected rudely or being ignored over and over again to the point their self-esteem is nil. They do not exert an enormous amount of effort trying to please them, and feel the attraction is reciprocated when they are able to get their full attention for hours, only to be told at the end of the night they just want to be friends. They do not have to worry about how to go from mutual flirting to sex without offending them... I could go on and on...

The point is when it comes to the pull, the women have allof the privilege with none of the work.

Smart women don't mourn the loss of their youth. What they get in return is far more valuable.
(I would never have believed this when I was young. not for a second).

BarnOwl

Extrovert Privilege?

Post by BarnOwl »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Seeing as this topic was fairly recent I thought I would just drop this here:

MISANDRY – The Stereotype of the Man-Hating Feminist
http://www.genderratic.com/p/2079/misan ... -feminist/
It finally reached ultimate absurdity with this offering:
“Except that’s only true if we continue to insist that rape requires a rapist. If rape can occur without a rapist, then that concern is resolved. She isn’t a rapist. He was raped.”
Ah yes, the rapistless rape.
Priceless!

AndrewV69

Re: Extrovert Privilege?

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ohhhhhh! Has she discovered a new religion? Will we see an ArchnoFem burst forth? I can hardly wait.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Ohhhhhh! Has she discovered a new religion? Will we see an ArchnoFem burst forth? I can hardly wait.
I read that as "arachnofem" - watch it Spider-man!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Gag! reading that and the link of andrews - wow. I'm not sure which was more disturbing - reading the comments or hearing how Phil "Don't be a dick unless I support you" Plait is thinking of Watson. What a disturbing thought, no matter how he was thinking of her.

AndrewV69

Sleep Sex

Post by AndrewV69 »

My last word on "sleep sex/rape".

As far as I am concerned, if you are sleeping together on a regular basis you have given consent. So if he wakes up and she is playing cowgirl on his prick, or if she wakes up to find he has taken privvy of her privates it is churlish not to oblige.

You take your dog out for a walk every day rain or shine because it needs exercise. Do not have a dog, or sleep with someone if you can not handle their basic needs.

End of Story.

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:We have both Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures here, and the Crested Caracaras eat carrion much of the time as well. Several years ago, an opossum was killed by a car in the street in front of my house - she had four hairless pouch babies, which were also killed by the collision. The vultures arrived immediately, and quickly dragged the carcass off the street and up onto my front lawn. There was a hierarchy of feeding between the different vulture species, and it was fascinating to watch them. At times there were a dozen or so vultures on the roof of my house, waiting their turns.

My neighbors, however, were not amused. One old fart told me to "pick up that dead possum and put it in the trash!" I told him that it was illegal to put animal carcasses in the trash (moron). The vultures made quick work of the possum, and all that was left was the skull, so I stuck that in a fire ant mound until it was clean enough to put on a shelf in the garage with my other skulls.

<--- Comparative vertebrate anatomy background and current gross anatomy instructor.

<--- Introvert who doesn't travel to conferences and stays home reading and communing with nature
Watching wildlife is one of my life pleasures.

I also happen to like skulls of different creatures, skeletons are fascinating. I think my favourite are the bones of a tail.

What insects besides fire ants will eat the flesh off bone well enough for no other procedure to be needed? I've considered saving skeletal parts of dead things I've come across, but I did not know where to find flesh-eating beetles.

No fire ants here, and I would not want to buy a colony, or have them anywhere near me. scary insects. I don't like ants to begin with. Spiders, on the other hand...

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:
I was not going to do this, but you folks made me, tis all your fault. Oh and blame Aoefe for this, I got it from her blog:
Sex, Lies and Attempts for Truth - Aoefe's Search : http://sexliestruth.blogspot.ca/2012/06 ... ts-at.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ymtknBn6NDE/T ... poster.jpg
haha!

Baron

Post by Baron »

attacks on Justin Vacula and SCA from the President of Secular Woman

http://rippere.com/2012/09/misogyny-and-the-sca/

http://i.imgur.com/0fXGX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O4N0T.jpg

Ophelia Benson from Butterflies and Wheels adds

http://i.imgur.com/gnYfQ.jpg

Baron

Post by Baron »

http://i.imgur.com/LruVW.jpg

'regularly posting' - funny google only shows one article there from him a repost

'cyberstalking' - this post was about Vacula?
a repost of her photo is 'harassment?'
When was Amy's address posted on the 'anti-feminist site?'

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Someone at FTB working to undermine a 'dissenting' atheist's career prospects? Sounds like business as usual. Nevermind the fact that Justin has contributed more actual activism (y'know, the stuff you have to get off your butt and step out into the real world for) to his local atheist network than many of his critics, who can't even be bothered to attend a conference if it will involve people they don't approve of.

On an unrelated note, why does Watson's twitter pic look like she just got done violently stuffing her face into a cherry pie? No, I'm not making a fat joke, it's just an odd-looking choice of picture is all I'm saying.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

As per http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 700#p16297 ...

I am not sure if I can accurately express my disgust at this truly obscene, offensive, and utterly disgusting bit of braggodacio and self-promotion.

Rebecca Watson you are disgusting. You are truly an offensive, rude, classist, and completely worthless piece of shit worthy of no respect from anyone, anywhere.

Listen up, you worthless midden leakage, more than 95% of the world's population cannot ever hope to sit in first class, let alone even fly on an airplane. Most of the world's middle and working class people cannot drink wine, of any kind, because it is far too expensive, let alone have the opportunity to blather bullshit to stews to get the perks left behind by other ostentatious pretentious bits of midden spewage like you.

And this foul piece of shit brags about it. Simply brags about it.

And she claims to support the supposed honourable goals of A+?!?!

Once again: Rebecca Watson you are disgusting, offensive, rude, classist, and unworhty of any kind of respect.

Where is the Big Barf smiley when you need it?

Watson, please, just fuck off and disappear into the netherlands where you belong.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

At least someone remembered JT is a real slimeball. Shame about Matt, but I'm skipping the bat cruise this year. Can't support a group that has intolerant extremist asshats. Last year took five others, planned for more this year. Well, there's money better spent elsewhere than supporting radfem politics.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:As per http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 700#p16297 ...

I am not sure if I can accurately express my disgust at this truly obscene, offensive, and utterly disgusting bit of braggodacio and self-promotion.

Rebecca Watson you are disgusting. You are truly an offensive, rude, classist, and completely worthless piece of shit worthy of no respect from anyone, anywhere.

Listen up, you worthless midden leakage, more than 95% of the world's population cannot ever hope to sit in first class, let alone even fly on an airplane. Most of the world's middle and working class people cannot drink wine, of any kind, because it is far too expensive, let alone have the opportunity to blather bullshit to stews to get the perks left behind by other ostentatious pretentious bits of midden spewage like you.

And this foul piece of shit brags about it. Simply brags about it.

And she claims to support the supposed honourable goals of A+?!?!

Once again: Rebecca Watson you are disgusting, offensive, rude, classist, and unworhty of any kind of respect.

Where is the Big Barf smiley when you need it?

Watson, please, just fuck off and disappear into the netherlands where you belong.
Watson's the poster child for "first world problems". She's an elitist who has nothing to feel elite about.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

So someone leaves property behind on a plane an Twatson just steals it?

If Twatson found someones iPad they left behind, she would have just stolen it?

If Twatson found a really nice sweater left behind, she would have just stolen it?

When I go to atheist/skeptic meetings, I have a habit of just leaving my stuff around (computer/phone/whatever). I know its stupid, but for some reason I feel 'safe' doing things like that around fellow skeptics.

Remind me never to leave anything unattended around Twatson.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well to be fair to her, when shit is going sweet for me I brag my arse off. I just don't also wail about how unprivileged I am on account of having a vagina.

At least she's not attacking other people and their work or calling young skeptics names. BRIGHT SIDE, GUYS.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Fuck me but the atheismplus forums are a giant pity party of me-me-meing.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

As a bit of an aside, I couldn't fucking believe this post. Female-friendly design. http://tessrinearson.com/blog/?p=560

I love Wooly's take on these first world problems.

[youtube]nqiPLnnGcVE[/youtube]

sacha

Post by sacha »

calendars.jpg
(40.46 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

mordacious1

ERV

Post by mordacious1 »

So someone leaves property behind on a plane an Twatson just steals it?
I hear she used to be a magician.
If you leave booze around her, it disappears.
So it must be true.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'll cut Watson some slack on this plane&winegate. Not really relevant at the moment, I think.

I'm more concerned about the attacks on Justin, and wonder if there would be some ground for legal action. Looks like pure libel to me.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'll cut Watson some slack on this plane&winegate. Not really relevant at the moment, I think.

I'm more concerned about the attacks on Justin, and wonder if there would be some ground for legal action. Looks like pure libel to me.
I think it's probably smart not to jump on the SUE EVERYONE bandwagon.

Justin continues to prove himself by doing good work and being patient and calm. I don't think it's smart to go after the FtB shriekers any more than it would be smart for Dawkins to go after fundamentalists who misrepresent him.

Michael K Gray

UnJustified Vacuous Vilification

Post by Michael K Gray »

Baron wrote:attacks on Justin Vacula and SCA from the President of Secular Woman
My oar-dipping:
http://www.michaelgray.com.au/Resources ... nt-607.png
(I'm betting that it won't pass immoderate "moderation".)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'll cut Watson some slack on this plane&winegate. Not really relevant at the moment, I think.

I think it's probably smart not to jump on the SUE EVERYONE bandwagon.

Justin continues to prove himself by doing good work and being patient and calm. I don't think it's smart to go after the FtB shriekers any more than it would be smart for Dawkins to go after fundamentalists who misrepresent him.
Of course, I don't wish Justin to go the "American way" and sue everyone. I'm just worried about this whole "MRA", "anti-feminist" stuff with regards to Justin's newly acquiered position at SCA Pen. This type of bullshit can cause real damage, and if it does, then yes, Justin should sue. I trully admire his calm and level-headed interactions with even his detractors, and it's a bonus SCA should keep in mind were there to be further backlash against him.

tl;dr: full support to Justin anyway it goes.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I see your point Phil, don't get me wrong, but I'm starting to think it's better to treat them like small minded fundamentalists. No one listens to the crazy they spew and I feel like less and less people are listening to what FtB has to say, too. They're sounding more like the weirdos who shout RACIST at Obama*.

*Okay my knowledge of politics in the US is minimal but I'm fairly sure he's not had any racist policies. Correct if untrue. :)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:I see your point Phil, don't get me wrong, but I'm starting to think it's better to treat them like small minded fundamentalists. No one listens to the crazy they spew and I feel like less and less people are listening to what FtB has to say, too. They're sounding more like the weirdos who shout RACIST at Obama*.

*Okay my knowledge of politics in the US is minimal but I'm fairly sure he's not had any racist policies. Correct if untrue. :)
Saddly, more than a few listen to the bullshit they spew and take it as gospel. This is what really worries me. I could see one or two SCA executives being sympathetic to FTB and trying to undermine Justin. What would be the best course of action then? I'm reading up on defamation laws and have already screencaped my Pharyngula Dungeon entry just in case it comes handy. It hasn't hurt my reputation or incomes yet, as far as I know, but if I ever get even one mail or comment dismissing my work because of Myers' assertion that I'm an MRA, I will sue the shit out of him (PZ).

It should be the same with Justin. We're not talking about mere internet quibbles anymore. Meatspace is being repeatedly invaded by those morons.

I have no input on Obama's supposed "racism". No clue what this is about.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Saddly, more than a few listen to the bullshit they spew and take it as gospel. This is what really worries me. I could see one or two SCA executives being sympathetic to FTB and trying to undermine Justin. What would be the best course of action then? I'm reading up on defamation laws and have already screencaped my Pharyngula Dungeon entry just in case it comes handy. It hasn't hurt my reputation or incomes yet, as far as I know, but if I ever get even one mail or comment dismissing my work because of Myers' assertion that I'm an MRA, I will sue the shit out of him (PZ).

It should be the same with Justin. We're not talking about mere internet quibbles anymore. Meatspace is being repeatedly invaded by those morons.
I have always been ridiculously optimistic of things and have been proven wrong about them - but I don't think the SCA could operate as a serious organisation if it was run by or listened to a bunch of screamy histronic types. And I think every hire in the atheist/skeptical arena will bring its share of haters and bitchiness - Justin's really not the first person I've seen them get riled up about. (OMG THEY HAVE HIRED WHO OMG WHAT HORRORS ETC).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:It should be the same with Justin. We're not talking about mere internet quibbles anymore. Meatspace is being repeatedly invaded by those morons.
I have yet to see any clearly actionable libellous defamation toward Vacula by any third party.
Over-reaction is their petty game. Leave that to the experts.
I assure you that if I do spot any actionable defamation, from EITHER side, against an individual using their real identity, I shall be the first to shout 'foul'.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
rayshul wrote:It should be the same with Justin. We're not talking about mere internet quibbles anymore. Meatspace is being repeatedly invaded by those morons.
I have yet to see any clearly actionable libellous defamation toward Vacula by any third party.
I assure you that if I do spot any actionable defamation, from EITHER side, against an individual using their real identity, I shall be the first to shout 'foul'.
Which is why my comment is just a provision. But if being labelled an "MRA" or "anti-feminist" can cause damoge to his new position, Justin should be entitled to sue. I'm not very big on legal actions, but my frustrations are starting to push me into enquiering more about the law in these matters.

i.e: grumpy morning!

Baron

Post by Baron »

http://i.imgur.com/hfZkx.jpg

from Rippere's blogsite

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Which is why my comment is just a provision. But if being labelled an "MRA" or "anti-feminist" can cause damoge to his new position, Justin should be entitled to sue. I'm not very big on legal actions, but my frustrations are starting to push me into enquiering more about the law in these matters.

"MRA"?
No way. An activist for men's rights is an attribute of which to be proud, as much as is "FRA": an activist for female's rights.
As for "anti-feminist", that is merely an expression of the commenter's opinion, not an actionable libel as such.
It may be an outright lie, but it may be a truthful expression of pinion, given the wildly and alarmingly differring assumptions out there of the definition of "feminist".
I am implacably opposed to the "gender-feminist" definition, but very pro the "equity-feminist" definition.
If they are referring to the former definition, then they may well be correct.
It wou;dn't take a juniour lawyer with a week's experience to have the case thrown out of court on these definitional grounds!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

"MRA"?
No way. An activist for men's rights is an attribute of which to be proud, as much as is "FRA": an activist for female's rights.
As for "anti-feminist", that is merely an expression of the commenter's opinion, not an actionable libel as such.
It may be an outright lie, but it may be a truthful expression of pinion, given the wildly and alarmingly differring assumptions out there of the definition of "feminist".
I am implacably opposed to the "gender-feminist" definition, but very pro the "equity-feminist" definition.
If they are referring to the former definition, then they may well be correct.
It wou;dn't take a juniour lawyer with a week's experience to have the case thrown out of court on these definitional grounds!
Seriously, does it really matter as long as the labelling hurts one's position in an organisation? This is a honest question. Some people in the wider A/S community see MRAs as misogynists, anti-feminists (in general, no nuance there between labels and opinions) and labelling anyone an MRA is a discussion stopper, and a potential reputation killer. If this can be proved in court (and it can, thanks to those thousand posts and comments by the other side), then the case should be clear enough...

Oh, well, we'll see.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Seriously, does it really matter as long as the labelling hurts one's position in an organisation?
The rub is: for a successful case it has to be reasonably shown that damage hath been wrought. Vis: that it can be demonstrated to a judge/jury/Judge Judy that one's reputation has sustained actual injury.
Not an easy thing to do with the meagre evidence that you have presented as advocate for the defendent.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:This is a honest question. Some people in the wider A/S community see MRAs as misogynists, anti-feminists (in general, no nuance there between labels and opinions) and labelling anyone an MRA is a discussion stopper, and a potential reputation killer.
Agreed.
But courts need evidence of malice with aforethought.
As I implied: something with which a 12 year-old who has briefly skimmed 10 minutes of Judge Judy could well defeat.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If this can be proved in court (and it can, thanks to those thousand posts and comments by the other side), then the case should be clear enough...
It can't. It isn't.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

We don't have Judge Judy in these here parts. Might explain a lot...