Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Mighty Hero Myers

Post by franc »

Skep tickle wrote:Besides, it was quite satisfying to fall on my sword only by posing questions that anyone looking at PZ's post skeptically should have asked.
Here -

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by John Greg »

Al Stefanelli at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 200#p39185) said:
Justin Griffith is good people, AFAIA concerned. I've known him a long time. Pre -FTB days. He's a stand up guy, and has been through a world of shit. I read his blog post, and can tell you with certainty that he's not crazy or making shit up. I was there.
OK, that's fine; that's good. But, and considering your first-hand information, you should be able to authoritatively answer these questions:

1. Why is Justin Griffith such an on-again-off-again, not to mention two-faced, hypocrite about those of us who support him, never mind his ever changing, and panty-hiding story about us, Abbie/ERV, and the whole Laden insanity.

2. Why did he so aggressively dismiss all so-called SlymePit folks who supported him when he was butt-smacked by the egregious Lord PeeZuss?

3. Why is he now so cozy-comfortable with editing, deleting, and banning of people and their comments who bring up points of argument with which he is too uncomfortable to answer honestly (I mean seriously, "You cannot bring up past history as an argument"? -- give me a fucking critical thinking break please).

Seriously Al, I cannot dispute you, and I respect you, but what the fuck is going on with that viscerally obscene grovelling email that Justin Griffith sent to that obcsene and pathetic piece of shit Laden all about, if it is not just a blatant case of cave in, kiss ass, and beg for re-admition to the cult?

Seriously, mate, if you have so much valid first-hand info of his "good peopleness", please, fill us in with something substantial; something beyond "I like the guy".

franc

Post by franc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

John Greg:
Seriously Al, I cannot dispute you, and I respect you, but what the fuck is going on with that viscerally obscene grovelling email that Justin Griffith sent to that obcsene and pathetic piece of shit Laden all about, if it is not just a blatant case of cave in, kiss ass, and beg for re-admition to the cult?
I would bet on drunken false remorse. Happens to everyone. Franc's oicture above is a nice illustration of that phenomenon.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Merry Pitmas!

http://i.imgur.com/lf4Bd.jpg
Perfect! One might consider Santa Claus as an innoculation against more virulent forms of wishful thinking (aka, delusions). Too bad so many never made the connection – I always found it rather amazing in my discussions with various religious fundamentalists that virtually none of them could see the similarities between their religious sects and the literally thousands of another ones which had preceeded them over literally tens of thousands of years.
You know, funny story about Santa. The only reason I'm not religious is I didn't quite work out religion was still a thing until quite late in life, but I did get Santa. I fucking believed in Santa. I prostelised for Santa. I went round at school finding kids who didn't believe in Santa and told them that they wouldn't get presents. I was fucking Santa's biggest schill. It kept going until I was about nine and I think one of the teachers probably brought it up with my parents and suggested I might be a little too old to believe and also I was aggressively promoting Santa in a way that was a weeee bit culty. Did not believe them when they eventually told me, went into a bit of a kiddy depression after discovering he wasn't real. Came out clean.

I would have made a fucking fantastic fundamentalist.
Interesting story. Reminds me that when I was about the same age I had already lost that “faith” without any trauma, but I seem to remember that my younger brother – by about 4 years – was quite distraught on finding that out – and he went on to become an evangelical if somewhat lukewarm Christian.

Although about 4 years later I remember going to a summer Bible camp – a place to park the kids for the summer more than anything else – and coming back somewhat “infected”. Fortunately I grew out of that, but one wonders why different people are variably affected or susceptible to that type of belief. Some author jested somewhat about a “gullibility gene”; maybe it’s a case that we are all entirely capable of becoming “fucking fantastic fundamentalists” [3F – I like that], but not all of us are exposed to those types of pernicious influences, or have them emphasized or amplified by parents, when they’re mostly likely to have those effects and consequences ….

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sorry, after Gumby's masterful visual illustration of Lsuoma's assessment, I had to change my avatar again.

franc

Post by franc »

Shirley U. Guest wrote:Does the name Priscilla Parker ring any bells?
http://rockbeyondbelief.com/2012/08/27/ ... f-and-die/

She's posting on Jason Blog... a total wackaloon: http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ogosphere/

Poor Justin.
Dunno, but she sounds like a piece of work... From her 'tardbook -
Attachments
priscilla_troop.png
(70.35 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Isn't Priscilla Parker Justin G's stalker? I might be wrong.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

She's posting on Jason Blog... a total wackaloon: http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ogosphere/

Poor Justin.
As you say, a total wackaloon.
The trouble is, you really need to see her to be convinced of this. She writes with a slight degree of plausibility and unless you've seen the videos of her turning up at his house in the middle of the night, trying to get him back, you might think there's no smoke without fire.
As far as I can see Justin got drunk at a party and ended up going to bed with her. She's been stalking him ever since.
He's not completely innocent in the matter - unless you go by Rebecca Watsons definition of rape- in which case he's a rape victim.
I feel his days at FTB are numbered. Unfortunately he's not such a good writer or indeed thinker, that he'd be snapped up by another network, although it would be funny to see him move to Skeptic Ink, if only to see the reaction back at FTB land!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Mykeru wrote:
Steersman wrote:I would consider Mykeru’s frequent posting and reference to the “Zvan-Laden sex tapes” over quite a lengthy period of time as harassment
Please document this "lengthy period of time" of which you speak because as I remember it, it was one day.

But then again, I'm just the guy who posted it and so can only give a subjective unreliable narrator account without the advantage of your apparent effortless omniscience.
Apparently you first posted the “sex tapes” here on Dec 14 and made a follow-up comment on them a little later in the day here. But according to Zvan’s post you tweeted them three times – once each on the 14th, 16th, and the 23rd.

Hardly a “period of time” of the same order of magnitude as, say, the life of the Earth, but, in comparison to the life of various topics on this and other message boards, I would consider a week or so to qualify as a “lengthy period of time”. And likewise with 5 times as “frequently”.

But I have to wonder what your purpose is for doing that. Just for the “lulz”? Achieving “serenity through viciousness” – for yourself maybe, although unlikely for many others? Sure doesn’t seem likely to convince anybody on the other side of the fence of the error of “their” ways or lead to any epiphanies about the wisdom of “ours”. Many unbiased, skeptical or uncommitted observers are, I think, more likely to see it as further evidence of some similarities with the feuding of the Hatfields and McCoys ….

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

Poor Justin.
The trouble is, you really need to see her to be convinced of this. She writes with a slight degree of plausibility and unless you've seen the videos of her turning up at his house in the middle of the night, trying to get him back, you might think there's no smoke without fire.
As far as I can see Justin got drunk at a party and ended up going to bed with her. She's been stalking him ever since.
He's not completely innocent in the matter - unless you go by Rebecca Watsons definition of rape- in which case he's a rape victim.
I feel his days at FTB are numbered. Unfortunately he's not such a good writer or indeed thinker, that he'd be snapped up by another network, although it would be funny to see him move to Skeptic Ink, if only to see the reaction back at FTB land!
Did RW ever specifically say this applied to men as well as women?

I'd hesitate to assume that she would apply it evenhandedly.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Isn't Priscilla Parker Justin G's stalker? I might be wrong.
Dick answered it already, but yeah, she's the crazed stalker. Perfect for someone like Lousy. Maybe she wants a new obsession?

Anyway, Justin G's new post (on principles) is an interesting read, and even if I haven't listened to his recordings of Greggie on the phone (not sure of legality of that, though, depends on the state), he at least got a little respect back from me. Still don't think I would personally like or trust him, but it is a small step in the right direction.

As for why he might have PZ at one of "his" events (something someone brought up a while back, and one I had considered earlier), simple - PZ does have a name, and for JG, the activism outweighs personal concerns. While we might see things differently, seeing the damage that association with PZ might do as more important than whatever name recognition or accessibility he might have, JG might see things differently. I can imagine having a concert where the main performers are stars but total assholes, and still have them perform despite that?. Maybe something along that line?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

Poor Justin.
Did RW ever specifically say this applied to men as well as women?

I'd hesitate to assume that she would apply it evenhandedly.
She wouldn't, unless she gained something from it, and then she'd switch back when it was inconvenient for her. She has no shred of honor or honesty in her.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:
ERV wrote:Laden isnt even being original. Anne Rice pulled an Amazon review freak-out eight years ago.

Also, Merry Christmas!!! I still feel like donkey balls. Worst cold I can remember having. Ugh.
If I had some, I'd send them to you, dear...

Get well soon.
Here's to ERV and Rystefn both to be feeling better soon. Sucks to be sick.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

franc wrote:
franc wrote:
Notung wrote:Let's not forget that (apparently) Justin himself posted on the original 'slimepit' for a while, after all that happened.
Also don't forget Justin's sidekicked who posted, and immediately deleted, this
http://slymepit.eu5.org/jg/rbb.html
Interesting. I see the big disclaimer & apparently a chunk edited out (?) near the top.

It doesn't say he posted in the slimepit, what's there now could have just been from lurking. But these lines are in it & give an interesting picture of his view, at least at that time:
If ERV’s so-called slime pit were self-contained, that might be a perfect spot.
(Then goes on: "But it’s not self-contained at all!")
I like it when the slime-pitters call us names like PeeZus, etc. I like PZ a lot, but that’s pretty funny. I’m against idol-worship, autograph seeking, so I appreciated ‘PeeZus’. (Do I have a nickname yet?) But I don’t like the ‘Rebitchka Twatkins’ gender based slurs. I chuckled in a Beavis and Butthead manner the first time I saw it, but then I winced. I was like… NO! Abbie! Shit! Delete! They wont get it! Their brains aren’t desensitized by 4chan like ours. (A little later, I realized that desensitized might be synonymous with damaged in some sense.)

"Shit! Delete!" ?? Okay, maybe the slimepit was like a forbidden treat, a chance to read all these "bad werds!" without anyone knowing you're reading them, because you're uncomfortable with frank uncensored use of language. Hey, at least he didn't sully his post by using that idiotic term "FREEZE PEACH".
This language does have a place. The ‘greater’ atheist blogosphere is simply not one of those places.

As I think others have observed periodically, it seems like one of the problems is that some people are somehow so focused on "atheism" & don't see "skepticism" as part of it.
Did I just fall on my sword or on my face? It feels like I fell. Am I still somehow liked by both camps? Oh well, I spent way to long on this not to publish it.

(Bolding added, that line seems to suggest a need to belong) Then after he posted it he apparently spent way too long having to deal with the shit he was getting from FtB regulars so he went back & edited his post & closed comments. Seems to have acted as negative reinforcement, if this is pretty much the last time he referenced the 'pit.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

Poor Justin.
I remember the video of Priscilla Parker showing up at Justin's house in the middle of the night to return a mug. Scary stuff.

For anybody who hasn't seen the video here it is:
[youtube]ynWTKiaiSQo[/youtube]

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

John Greg wrote:Al Stefanelli at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 200#p39185) said:
Justin Griffith is good people, AFAIA concerned. I've known him a long time. Pre -FTB days. He's a stand up guy, and has been through a world of shit. I read his blog post, and can tell you with certainty that he's not crazy or making shit up. I was there.
OK, that's fine; that's good. But, and considering your first-hand information, you should be able to authoritatively answer these questions:

1. Why is Justin Griffith such an on-again-off-again, not to mention two-faced, hypocrite about those of us who support him, never mind his ever changing, and panty-hiding story about us, Abbie/ERV, and the whole Laden insanity.

2. Why did he so aggressively dismiss all so-called SlymePit folks who supported him when he was butt-smacked by the egregious Lord PeeZuss?

3. Why is he now so cozy-comfortable with editing, deleting, and banning of people and their comments who bring up points of argument with which he is too uncomfortable to answer honestly (I mean seriously, "You cannot bring up past history as an argument"? -- give me a fucking critical thinking break please).

Seriously, mate, if you have so much valid first-hand info of his "good peopleness", please, fill us in with something substantial; something beyond "I like the guy".
Those are extremely valid questions, and I am going to have to figure out how to answer then without breaking a promise I made to Brayton that would not reveal anything that went on in the FTB backchannel - a promise I fully intend to keep.

Gimme a while, please

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

franc wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Besides, it was quite satisfying to fall on my sword only by posing questions that anyone looking at PZ's post skeptically should have asked.
Here -

Glad to provide material for a page! (PZ take a bow; you contributed mightily.)

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Has anyone told ERV that viruses can make you sick? (I can write that because she's sick in bed) Probably some type of Entero RhinoVirus or ERV (I made that up). My excuse...splitting headache from someone else's cigarette smoke and I'm trying to get rid of it by taking pain pills washed down with beer (yeah, not too bright).

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

xinit wrote:In the event anyone has something to meme Greg with, but lacks the Photoshop skills...

http://memegenerator.net/Gregladen
Jesus. Now I'm staying up far too late memeing Laden. Will the madness ever cease?!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote: So I said "Slap that!" and ride the ripples.
I've just got to get me gob around her greasy nipples.
Oh dear, I've been away from the thread for a couple of days in my annual bid to escape fucking christmas (writing this in another airport lounge) and I come back to this. The Macc Ladds? Do you know the damage you could do to the innocent minds at FfTB if they were to discover the Macc Ladds? I'm pretty sure their tiny little heads would explode.
Anyway back to my christmas dinner of a ham sandwich and a coffee.

dougal445

Post by dougal445 »

de-lurked.
So Al, seems to be implying (like Thunderf00t) that there is some unsavoury secret shananigans in the FTB backchannel.
Al you appear to me to be a decent stand up guy who is in a dilema, an internal conflict, because of your moral compass. I respect that.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Okay, I'm not making any more jokes tonight, not even about PZ's backchannel. Oops.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dougal:

I think Al is his own man, and if he has promised not to divulge backchannel talk, all the better for him to stick to his vows. I will admit to a strong curiosity towards what's been going on there, but not strong enough to ask for backstabbing.

I just wrote that comment so I could bitch about english double consonants yet again. <--- me bitching.

dougal445

Post by dougal445 »

phil.
I guess i could be more eloquent. But that was pretty much the exact sentiment i was trying to convey.

dougal445

Post by dougal445 »

i,m doing this from my hatefull piece of crap of a phone so im rather clumsy. Gotta work out quoting etc yet.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

franc wrote:
Here -

Actually, that’s not quite true, that “all traces of what Skeptixx wrote in this 'free’ discussion that was promised was promptly erased so no one could actually read them and draw their own conclusion”.

Seems from a recent review of Myers' post at least two of Skep tickle’s posts are still there, only that they are differently numbered from when she posted screen shots of them here: #317 and #340 now in the Pharyngula thread, but #315 and #337 here.

The difference in the numbering is possibly due to some posts being held in moderation, although there are other possibilities. However, I think the more important issue is that PZ apparently didn’t even respond to or acknowledge the content of Skep tickle’s posts before banning her with “extreme prejudice”. Rather like condemning all blacks or all women for the transgressions or failings of the few ….

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Al Stefanelli (at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 250#p39212) said:
Those are extremely valid questions, and I am going to have to figure out how to answer then without breaking a promise I made to Brayton that would not reveal anything that went on in the FTB backchannel - a promise I fully intend to keep.
Well, you know, hmm, Al, I am beginning to grow a great deal of respect for you ... you fucking Great White Cock of Authority you.

Or is that Great Hunters Hat of Racism?

Man, you have flummoxed me a bit.

You said: "... a promise I made...." which is a very valid constraint. I respect that promise. Nonetheless, it leaves me in moot mutatus, so to speak.

Fuck me. For the moment I am stymied. Yes, if you made a promise, you should indeed stick to it, even if those obscene fuckers from FfTB have broken all their various and variagated commitments to you, but still, well, I suspect you know where I am pondering from.

"Gimme a while, please"

My friend, please, take all the time you need. I suspect we will all be here for a while.

And, by-the-by, thank you for a gracious reply. We have never met, and almost certainly never will. But I can tell from your response that if we ever got together for in vino veritas, it would be a grand good time.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Just dropped in quickly to wish everyone a merry christmas, good health and peace. Have a great holiday.

dougal445

Post by dougal445 »

oh crap!
Just tried to register abd i think ive trypo'd my username and now i cant get in. SkepticFAIL.
Fuck it another westvlet. Merry xmas all.

Steersman

Re: From ButtFlies and Squeals

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:As for the slymepitters…they’ve lost all presumption of charity long, long ago. Of course I’m going to shut down dedicated dishonest propagandists the instant they show up.
[bolding mine]

So that's why he bans us? We're "dedicated dishonest propagandists"? Project much PeePee? It's not that some of us show up and disembowel your idiotic posts? And just when it becomes apparent that you're losing the argument, the banhammer shows up. I thought it was obvious to everyone, and from reading that thread at B&W, it appears you've banned non-slymers also for the same reason. You're a small weak pitiful little "man" PeePee (and most people other than your sycophants know it).

Hmmmm. I was assuming that the reason he banned me the 1st. time was because I was a slymepitter.

Now I see that perhaps the banhammer went down it because it may have been that I disagreed with his proposition (if I remember his position correctly) that gays being free to not reproduce as a result of being allowed out of the closet will result in a diminishing percentage of the population.

Oh Dearie me! It never occurred to me that one of his pet peeves was that someone could dare to disagree with him and cite authoritative papers as evidence for the rational of the disagreement.

PeeZuss Christ!

(can not be arsed to dig up the link to the post right now. I will if one of you fucking hyperspectical homophobic mysognistic cunts demands it though).
When you had a moment, this “hyperspectical homophobic mysognistic cunt” – and one who is both “pop-culture deficient” and has a noted “inability to source information” – wouldn’t mind taking a gander at the comments and thread that led to your banning there as I’ve periodically wondered about it. Particularly as your signature line suggests that your e-mail address alone was sufficient to cause PZ to haul out the “holy” water and wooden stakes ….

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Oh, and I forgot, as I am now, at this veritasitis moment, deeply in vino veritas (being Christmas amid complete isolation), I would like to post an unnecessarily sentimental and almost weepy/whiney post to those who I know best, being sacha, franc, welch (why have youse guyz all gone lower case), Phil_teh_G_Francophonetical_Frere_Musicalis, Lsuoma (how the fuck is that pronounced, phonetical-wise?), ERV-the-beloved, who without intending to, brought us all together (my great googlemoogley but you are a very special person Abbie/ERV), acathode, Tuvok, Scented Nectar (so glad you lowered your standards enough to join us, SN, and I will probably be in TO within the next few years and we should get together for beerses, yes?), AndrewV69, windy, decius, the mighty Notung, ZaZen, Gumby, the great great satirical artist JanSteen, Tigzy, MKG (wherever you are, and deep heart felt condolences for you loss), rayshul, Rystefn (really, really good to come across your no-holds-barred commentary again, after all these years), and all the rest of you wonderful Hoggle Sock Puppet People.

All of you, have a truly wonderful, warm, invigorating, sexually, emotionally fulfilling Christmas, Xmas, Solstice, or whateverthefuck you want call it.

We do not have the right smiley (and anyway, I would hate to upset franc or sacha, but Smiley cheers and raising of mulled wine, mead, and so forth and so on to you all.

I will now return to my dark chthonic dusty corner.

/collapse

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Steen, you really are a very good satiricist.

Bravo.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:Oh, and I forgot, as I am now, at this veritasitis moment, deeply in vino veritas (being Christmas amid complete isolation), I would like to post an unnecessarily sentimental and almost weepy/whiney post to those who I know best, being sacha, franc, welch (why have youse guyz all gone lower case), Phil_teh_G_Francophonetical_Frere_Musicalis, Lsuoma (how the fuck is that pronounced, phonetical-wise?), ERV-the-beloved, who without intending to, brought us all together (my great googlemoogley but you are a very special person Abbie/ERV), acathode, Tuvok, Scented Nectar (so glad you lowered your standards enough to join us, SN, and I will probably be in TO within the next few years and we should get together for beerses, yes?), AndrewV69, windy, decius, the mighty Notung, ZaZen, Gumby, the great great satirical artist JanSteen, Tigzy, MKG (wherever you are, and deep heart felt condolences for you loss), rayshul, Rystefn (really, really good to come across your no-holds-barred commentary again, after all these years), and all the rest of you wonderful Hoggle Sock Puppet People.

All of you, have a truly wonderful, warm, invigorating, sexually, emotionally fulfilling Christmas, Xmas, Solstice, or whateverthefuck you want call it.

We do not have the right smiley (and anyway, I would hate to upset franc or sacha, but Smiley cheers and raising of mulled wine, mead, and so forth and so on to you all.

/collapse
Cheers – and a merry “xmyth” – as well to you John – and to the rest of you Pitters and reprobates and heathens as well! Happy trails!

Over and out for the nonce ….

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Notung wrote:Let's not forget that (apparently) Justin himself posted on the original 'slimepit' for a while, after all that happened.
While I do feel sorry for him, I can't trust him. Whoever mentioned that he's like an abused kid defending their parents, has it totally spot on.

Even though he posted here, two things stick out.

One, I think he had himself ready and primed and predetermined to dislike us without good reason right from the start, in order to gain approval from the abusive blogging 'friends' that he has. I don't think he'll ever acknowledge that they are just plain mean, and that he does NOT deserve this kind of treatment from them (eg; Greg's abusive emails, PZ's shunning of him for months and months now).

Two, he started pulling some sort of 'hey guys, I'm suicidal' while he was here, and that seemed like a cry for attention type rather than a for real "bye all". My ClusterB spidey sense was flashing on overload.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Struth wrote:Re: that copper & UK radfems

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... bbins1.jpg

People who have the inclination and vitriol to make that copper's life difficult must surely also include Martin Robbins (who has a gig at The Guardian) [in addition to Skephick Tracy King, Rhys Morgan & Hayley Stevens]

I don't know if Robbins is a paid employee or a volunteer blogger. (To his credit, he has done some good writing w.r.t science issues). What I wonder is, if he's able to misuse his connections. He's a total twat; I recall he did his best to smear Vacula. We must give him the benefit of the doubt, assume he hasn't done anything underhand [in this case].

If only there was an effective way to let his employers know these claims are vexatious. Anyone fancy doing a Freedom of Information request [to that Copper's Police Force] (if appropriate)? Imagine if the paper trail actually lead back to one of them.
CLS is also the guy who Watson sent an uninvited, graphic, sexually violent image to, in an email. Exactly the sort of thing she would consider sexual harassment if it happened to her. I wrote about it in a two part article:
http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2012/ ... llows.html
http://scentednectar.blogspot.com/2012/ ... t-lie.html

If anyone is doing things to counter the feminist's attack on him, feel free to pass along these links to the police or anyone else, if you want to show some history of them picking on him. Shows the (lack of) character of the people making any false claims about him to his employer.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

John Greg wrote:Oh, and I forgot, as I am now, at this veritasitis moment, deeply in vino veritas (being Christmas amid complete isolation), I would like to post an unnecessarily sentimental and almost weepy/whiney post to those who I know best, being sacha, franc, welch (why have youse guyz all gone lower case), Phil_teh_G_Francophonetical_Frere_Musicalis, Lsuoma (how the fuck is that pronounced, phonetical-wise?), ERV-the-beloved, who without intending to, brought us all together (my great googlemoogley but you are a very special person Abbie/ERV), acathode, Tuvok, Scented Nectar (so glad you lowered your standards enough to join us, SN, and I will probably be in TO within the next few years and we should get together for beerses, yes?), AndrewV69, windy, decius, the mighty Notung, ZaZen, Gumby, the great great satirical artist JanSteen, Tigzy, MKG (wherever you are, and deep heart felt condolences for you loss), rayshul, Rystefn (really, really good to come across your no-holds-barred commentary again, after all these years), and all the rest of you wonderful Hoggle Sock Puppet People.

/collapse
I hesitated for the first week or so that the Pit moved here, since I thought there were going to be tone rules and too many threads to follow due to the new forum-style. But the tone rules were decided against, and this never ending thread means I can follow it Pit-style and ignore the other threads, except maybe once in a blue moon. So, I didn't lower my standards. The Pit decided to keep the original good standards.

And by all means, let's meet for drinks, if you're in Toronto. Let me know at least a day in advance though. I'll probably just have a coffee, but don't let that scare you. I'll drink it at the table and not in an elevator with you. :)

Only once every couple of years do I try drinking. Usually I'm not successful. It makes me feel sick BEFORE catching a tipsy buzz, but sometimes, I DO get a nice tipsy buzz (= 1 or 2 glasses of wine) without getting sick provided I stop drinking more at that point. I just can't drink enough to have a full-on drunk. There are 2 different genetic SNPs that can cause a bad reaction to alcohol. I don't have the one that 23andm3 tests for, so I figure I must have the other one.

In a few days, when I'll be near the liquor store anyways, I'm going to buy a bottle of wine and give it a good try once again.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

windy wrote:Hai guys! What have I missed? The usual witchfinding business?
Altair wrote:
Notung wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/12-12-12/#feature
He's getting asked in the comments about his phrase "It's a guy thing". If I remember correctly, Notung also mentioned that point on Twitter.

I'd like to have other people's opinions, but the way I'm reading it, he didn't say atheism or skepticism were a guy thing, he said that "standing up and talking about it, going to shows about it, being intelectually active about it" was a guy thing.
Yes, that's the only way it makes sense.
He was stating/implying that men tend to be more active about things than women, tend to go to more conventions and speak more about it.
Is it true? I don't know, we could probably apply some (insert scary lightning) Evo pscyh to the question.
Yes, sort of like most celebrity chefs being men doesn't imply that men do most of the cooking. It could conceivably be because of (scary lightning!) structural sexism, maybe women's contributions tend to be less valued/taken for granted, or women on average have less time to dedicate to their careers because of family responsibilities. But it would be silly to shout down alternative explanations to the gender bias of celebrity chefs by referring to the whole population (SO YOU THINK WOMEN CAN'T COOK??)

It's so annoying when someone says "it's a guy thing" as if to imply someone cannot understand X becuase they are a woman or only disagree because they're a woman. Kind of like "you just don't get it"..no, I don't agree.

There's nothing on this earth that's a gy thing besides pissing with a penis, having a penis, scratching one's balls, deepening voice (even if some women have this), shooting semen, etc.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

windy wrote:
Yes.
They should just encourage more women or whatever to sign up, not push speakers in because X characteristic. If it seems like X person is pretty similar to Y person but got rejected, and it keeps happening, then there's something goin on.

Barael

Post by Barael »

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 433142.jpg

Please, someone tell me you made that. It's just too priceless if it's the handiwork of Greg Himself.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Eucliwood wrote:
windy wrote:
Yes.
They should just encourage more women or whatever to sign up, not push speakers in because X characteristic. If it seems like X person is pretty similar to Y person but got rejected, and it keeps happening, then there's something goin on.
I don't think that "it's a guy thing" has to imply any more than "guys are more likely to do it", and it needn't imply anything about non-guy ability. I took Shermer's meaning more in that light.

If men and women were equally likely to offer to speak at conferences etc (all other things being equal), why would you need to "encourage" women more than men? Again, it says nothing about ability, perhaps just who is more "pushy".

As for two people being "pretty similar", maybe a significant difference is, as you say yourself, that one needed more encouragement. Perhaps it makes for a better/more well known/shitstirring etc speaker? I don't know, but that appraently similar people are treated differently, even multiple times, doesn't tell us what might be going on.

AnonymousCowherd

Barael wrote:http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 433142.jpg

Please, someone tell me you made that. It's just too priceless if it's the handiwork of Greg Himself.
No idea who made it but I can see why people looking for "Princess Leia hair" tips might search for Laden. Maybe they think he blogs at Skepchicks. Maybe he does?

franc

Post by franc »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Justin Griffith is good people, AFAIA concerned. I've known him a long time. Pre -FTB days. He's a stand up guy, and has been through a world of shit. I read his blog post, and can tell you with certainty that he's not crazy or making shit up. I was there.
Yeah. Everyone is a nice guy. I bet the guys that loaded Zyklon B cannisters into gas chambers at Auschwitz were nice guys too - y'know, responsible family men who were honest, kept their wives and kids happy, contributed to their local communities and took care of sick animals.

Sorry, that line doesn't cut it for me any more. The basic reality is that there no longer are any grey areas about the disgusting and malicious behaviour of FfTB. At all - it's there in black and white and outside the inner sanctums you are hard pressed to find anyone that will still offer excuses for them. Anywhere.

Turning a blind eye to what FfTB does whilst remaining a card carrying member and riding on its coattails for personal advantage - be it monetary or propagandistic for your own pet causes - is complicity to what FfTB does. No ifs or buts. It's the same as blogging at Stormfront and saying "but I'm not racist". That's not gonna ride anywhere. Nor do the excuses of FfTB folks outside of the FC(n) ride with me. They are complicit.

There's a saying about people that have a spine and basic integrity - "If I don't like the party I leave". It took you longer than it should have Al - but you finally stood up and left. That restored faith in you for a great many people, not least myself. I worried for a long time, but resisted making any comment on your temporary collusion. I am glad I did.

As for Justin Griffith... He may very well be a nice guy. He may even have principles. But as far as having a spine or being someone I'd trust, he's baboon through and through. To simultaneously put on a sincerity act here in person to look for sympathetic ears, whilst at the same time calling us violent, misogynist filth in private elsewhere for other sympathetic ears is pretty contemptible. At best it's just a fucked up and confused insecure basket case grasping at straws. At worst it is a professional manipulator a la the pudgy pink princess.

I am willing to concede Justin may be just fucked up and insecure. I hold no grievance against him. Nor do I want anything to do with him. And if he is genuinely fucked up, then the worst place in the universe for him to be psychologically is inside the madhouse that is the FfTB politburo. If you really are his friend Al, on more than a superficial level, that should concern you. It is not a good place for him to be and things aren't going to get any better. If he was my friend, I'd be wanting to get him the fuck out of there ASAP.

As for the rest of the so called "innocent" FfTB cadre -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banality_of_evil

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Steersman wrote: Apparently you first posted the “sex tapes” here on Dec 14 and made a follow-up comment on them a little later in the day here. But according to Zvan’s post you tweeted them three times – once each on the 14th, 16th, and the 23rd.
So, what you are saying is I posted it it one day, with an associated tweet, and then when the butt-hurt bitching started, I did it again, just to be annoying, completely forgot about it and then when it got dredged up as part of Stephanie Svan's victimhood dance card, I did it one more time, just because I'm kind of an asshole that way.

Obviously I am monomaniacally obsessed. Dear God, stop me before I do it again. Even worse, I have dragged you into my obsessed little world because you have now posted about it roughly the same number of times I initially posted it. Oh my, what have I done to you?

I have a coupon for some Electro-convulsive therapy, let's go put this ugly ugly episode behind us by making our cerebral cortex as smooth as a baby's ass before it's too late.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8302 ... 1f43_o.gif

Nooooooooooo!
But I have to wonder what your purpose is for doing that. Just for the “lulz”? Achieving “serenity through viciousness” – for yourself maybe, although unlikely for many others?
Mostly, because the GIF made me come in my pants a bit.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Eucliwood wrote:
windy wrote:
Yes.
I don't think that "it's a guy thing" has to imply any more than "guys are more likely to do it", and it needn't imply anything about non-guy ability. I took Shermer's meaning more in that light.

If men and women were equally likely to offer to speak at conferences etc (all other things being equal), why would you need to "encourage" women more than men? Again, it says nothing about ability, perhaps just who is more "pushy".

As for two people being "pretty similar", maybe a significant difference is, as you say yourself, that one needed more encouragement. Perhaps it makes for a better/more well known/shitstirring etc speaker? I don't know, but that appraently similar people are treated differently, even multiple times, doesn't tell us what might be going on.
I think it's kinda crazy to assume that SPEAKING is a guy thing because more guys are there. It could be a combination of things. How many more guys are there? We can start by asking them, if their female wives,friends, or associates do agree with the speaker, then why aren't they there? I've never heard someone generalize that speaking at X place is "a guy thing."

I also take "a guy thing" to mean a generalization. Only really valid when talking about things involving gender roles. I'm not fanatical. I'll excuse calling football a guy thing and stuff. But that's just ridiculous.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

I just want to say that ceepolk is totally mean and judgmental. Seriously. She is so lucky I'm not near her.

That's all.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

John Greg wrote:Steen, you really are a very good satiricist.

Bravo.
Thanks, John. Merry Xmas to all. Today is a special day in support of the wine producers of the world.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Scented Nectar wrote:
While I do feel sorry for him, I can't trust him. Whoever mentioned that he's like an abused kid defending their parents, has it totally spot on.
I said it dfferently before, but Justin's behavior only makes sense when you realize he puts far more value on "unit" than on "self." Nothing is more important to him than staying part of the team, even if he has to subsume his dignity. Threaten him with expulsion and he will fall back into line tout de suite.

AnonymousCowherd

Eucliwood wrote:
I think it's kinda crazy to assume that SPEAKING is a guy thing because more guys are there. It could be a combination of things. How many more guys are there? We can start by asking them, if their female wives,friends, or associates do agree with the speaker, then why aren't they there? I've never heard someone generalize that speaking at X place is "a guy thing."

I also take "a guy thing" to mean a generalization. Only really valid when talking about things involving gender roles. I'm not fanatical. I'll excuse calling football a guy thing and stuff. But that's just ridiculous.
Shermer's off the cuff quote re alleged gender imbalance in speakers at atheist conferences (as shortened by OB);
“It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it; you know, it’s more of a guy thing”
And I doubt that was Shermer's "assumption", since he was offhandedly attempting to explain why there were "more guys".

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Speaking of satire, whatever happened to Peezus and O?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Dougal:

I think Al is his own man, and if he has promised not to divulge backchannel talk, all the better for him to stick to his vows. I will admit to a strong curiosity towards what's been going on there, but not strong enough to ask for backstabbing.
Seconded.

AnonymousCowherd

Steersman wrote:
Over and out for the nonce ….
Are you threatening to kill Garry Glitter?

AnonymousCowherd

Hope all the Pit Crew survived the Xmas Xcess as badly as the gang here at Palazzo Privilegio. Boxing Day is a bitch.

mordacious1

Justin

Post by mordacious1 »

franc said:
I am willing to concede Justin may be just fucked up and insecure. I hold no grievance against him. Nor do I want anything to do with him. And if he is genuinely fucked up, then the worst place in the universe for him to be psychologically is inside the madhouse that is the FfTB politburo. If you really are his friend Al, on more than a superficial level, that should concern you. It is not a good place for him to be and things aren't going to get any better. If he was my friend, I'd be wanting to get him the fuck out of there ASAP.
I agree. He obviously has some issues. I respect him for what he did at Fort Bragg, that took balls and effort. But he should stay away from FfTB because they are toxic. Most of them are wannabees who use blogging as a power trip so they can "be someone". He doesn't need to come here either. He should just find a neutral site where they don't eat their own to get ahead (FtTB, not here). He's way over his head with these guys and seems too fragile to handle their manipulative antics and just plain meanness. It doesn't look good for him from my perspective if he stays where he is. I wish him luck though.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Shirley U. Guest wrote:How do you save threads again?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... rinciples/
Looks like Justin Griffith is a reader of this place, because he links to PZ's "It Works, Bitches" post on Sciblogs as an example of PZ using gendered insults.

Hi, Justin! :D

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

mikelf wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
I said it dfferently before, but Justin's behavior only makes sense when you realize he puts far more value on "unit" than on "self." Nothing is more important to him than staying part of the team, even if he has to subsume his dignity. Threaten him with expulsion and he will fall back into line tout de suite.
He really needs to join a different team (like one of the other atheist blogging networks) if he sincerely wants a team that will appreciate his loyalty, instead of picking on him, like the FTBullies do to him. Did PZ ever start talking to him again? What kind of team is it when the only support you get are whispered from some of the others who are scared to say it out loud, since it would get them into as much trouble as Justin G's been having.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Dick Strawkins wrote:LOL!

Hey PZ, feminist hero, love your new sponsor. :lol:

[img]snip[/img]

If you can't read the logo on the feminist's shirt, it says:
"Admit it.
You'd go to jail for this!"
:shock:
Ahem...
[img]snip[/img]

Even funnier is the logo on the other T-shirt modelled by the same girl!

[img]snip[/img]

Bad Idea T-shirts?

There might be a clue in the name!
Fuck this shit, I haven't actually laughed out so loud in a long time, I guess this was the first time I actually literally LOL'd about something I read on the internet. I knew it'd pay off to read everything on the Pit, even though I'm countless pages behind.

Crap, the slymepit is my new time-sucker, totally replaced inane shit from facebook, and I wanted to just quickly send a message to my aunt on FB (which I haven't done yet) cause she told my Mum that it's nice I sometimes write updates, but sadly only in English, and she struggles to comprehend them somewhat.

Well, the few cents they got from your hitting FTB without ad-blocking were well-spent. Hilarious. Dare I say hysterical?
Does that mean, PeeZus' divorce is upcoming, since we saw who the future Trophy Wife is?

Now, I'm in a rather good mood, my gal's finally out of the hospital since Sunday noon. (Her release papers start reading like a rather big excerpt of the ICD-10 manual, but so far she's fine... we'll see, what the upcoming re-checks will bring...)
She got her first presents on the same day. Understandably, she wanted to stay home for the first two nights. I left at 2 a.m. on Sunday cause I fell asleep and she didn't wake me up, even though I told her to, but when I left she told me the sweetest thing: "Can't wake you up, you look so cute while sleeping". Fuck, I'm blessed (forgive me) that she manages to like me.
Sadly, postal service didn't bring the second present from her sister in time, so she didn't have any mail yesterday, but my oldest brother sent me a card addressed to both of us as '"family <her given name> & <my given name> <my surname>", so she still could open something 'yesternight'. And she even liked the card, despite my brother not yet having met her. He chose well with something glittery. But, she really is herself again, jokingly asking - paraphrased: "family? you haven't married me while I was out of my mind, right? Don't tell me I made something that stupid while I was fucked up."
Argh, babbling again, and weirdly explaining the funny situation, but I suck at describing it: She's got an aversion against marriage and kids. (Well, in that regard we fit great. I still like kids, as long as they're not my own, and commend everyone for going that route.)

Last night, she woke me up at 1:30 a.m. while crawling into bed again...
Me: (of course, falling asleep again during the Xmas TV movies, not being able to sleep the night before, cause I didn't want to risk oversleeping and not getting to the drug store for her meds in time)
"shit, sorry, shall I leave so you got your tiny bed for yourself?"
Her: "don't. just hold me. btw, I drank all the beers."
Me: "ah, that's why you didn't wake up?"
Her: "Nah, cute, you know. Well, of course it's the beer, dummy, you even went back to your place to get us some alternative food (the plan was for wine and cheese fondue at my place), and only brought four beers? It's your own fault you fell asleep, otherwise you'd gotten a second one."

Sorry for getting all emotional, but it seems I finally might run into a slip of the tongue and actually tell her that I love her. I fear she might not really like that, it's been about one year and a half, and we're still only telling each other that we _like_ each other.

Now, I'll have to finish up some chores to prep the flat, and 'drag' her over to my place. Can't wait to finally give her my present. I even thought about doing seasonal decorations, something I'd thought I'd never even contemplate.

Great end of the year festivities to all.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sorry, after Gumby's masterful visual illustration of Lsuoma's assessment, I had to change my avatar again.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zeo ... 1_1280.jpg