Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

JackRayner wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:All is not well n the Chymepit:

http://i.imgur.com/JFnBk.jpg
Can anyone provide some context on the bit about buying a gun out of spite?
I think it's just that she's vociferously anti-gun, and in her childlike mind she fails to see how incredibly threatening that comment, which is meant to convey she's so angry that she would break the most strict of her own rules, could sound to an adult.

Darren

Post by Darren »

My top 5 shitty cunts for 2012:

1. Watson
2. Zvan
3. PZ
4. Laden
5. Brayton

Watson gets #1 over Zvan only because I believe The Inzvanity actually buys into her own bullshit, whereas Watson is more calculating. PZ & Laden are just pricks, and Brayton sneaks in at #5 just 'cos I don't like him.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

Can anyone provide some context on the bit about buying a gun out of spite?
I think it's just that she's vociferously anti-gun, and in her childlike mind she fails to see how incredibly threatening that comment, which is meant to convey she's so angry that she would break the most strict of her own rules, could sound to an adult.

blimey - maybe she should gibe A+ another chance - that woman is need of hugz

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gumby wrote:
lurker4now wrote: I distinctly remember seeing two conversations around the same time: One might have been on Twitter, it was a bit of giggling over what hoops they'd make Dawkins jump through in order to join, and how much fun that would be. The other was on FTB, about Atheism+'s proposed 'Official Safe Space' designation for conventions which would not only require anti-harrassment policies, gender and ethnic diversity, etc., but also speakers like Rebecca Watson and PZ Myers.
It would be great to have screenshots of that!
I could only find this discussion on the A+ forum:

http://i.imgur.com/JwWBT.png

franc

Post by franc »

Stretchycheese wrote:I'm not a photoshop expert, but here's a site with plenty of Soviet propaganda posters that Jan Steen and others can play with, should they so wish. :P

http://www.allposters.com/-st/Russian-P ... 98225_.htm
This image really needs a loving touch -

Destroy this mad brute

I've toyed with it by I lack the patience/skill to do it justice.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Darren wrote: I could only find this discussion on the A+ forum:

http://i.imgur.com/JwWBT.png
Everything's in black and white. Don't these people have any concept of nuance?

/rhetorical

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

franc wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:I'm not a photoshop expert, but here's a site with plenty of Soviet propaganda posters that Jan Steen and others can play with, should they so wish. :P

Destroy this mad brute

Vogue already tried to do something with that pic, and they got fucking hammered for it.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 8b34a7.jpg

franc

Post by franc »

Stretchycheese wrote:Satire is quite an effective messaging tool. Much like how Jon Stewart's The Daily Show and The Colbert Report rip a new one out of Fox News on a regular basis. The Slymepit already uses a lot of satire (Jan Steen's work, for instance). The use of satire can be used to thwart FTB/A+ memes, dogmas and newspeak.
Quote that bears repeating -

"How much truth is contained in something can be best determined by making it thoroughly laughable and then watching to see how much joking around it can take. For truth is a matter that can withstand mockery, that is freshened by any ironic gesture directed at it. Whatever cannot withstand satire is false." -- Peter Sloterdijk

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I have only dropped by the A+ forums a few times, and I never did even try to sign up 'cause I knew that would be a total waste of time.

I got to say, everytime that I did read any of the threads, especially any thread with such bizzaro circus freaks as Simple Flower in them, I felt a really weird mixed sense of projected embarrassment, squeamishness, pity, revulsion, and a sort of sick and pathetic ridicule.

Odd sensation, indeed.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Ed Brayton, 4 hours ago:
Is everyone else getting inundated with end of year fundraising pleas the last couple days?
Ed Brayton, 3 hours ago:
Thank You So Much
freethoughtblogs.com
After my recent surgery I asked for contributions from those in a position to give them to help make up for the lost income and expense of the
Im glad he is far away from me right now.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I'm too fucking optimistic. Some part of me is saying "leave the cult, Jennifer" and "you're starting to see some of the bullshit for what it is, yay", but yeah, right. Like that's going to really happen. She's more likely on a pout-flounce.

xinit

Post by xinit »

John Brown wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:Now that we have both Thunderf00t and Richard Reed posting here, can I have a resolution to a question that's been bothering me:

Separated at birth? I think we should be told!
I'm going with the evil twin hypothesis.
Pfft. Everyone knows that the "evil twin" is the one with the goatee. Since both of these gentlemen have facial hair, it is obvious that your hypothesis is incorrect.

Science, motherfucker.
Evil TRIPLETS. Somewhere, there's the body of the good one.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

judging by the racket outside, its now proper UTC new year

happy 2013 one n all

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote:Ed Brayton, 4 hours ago:
Is everyone else getting inundated with end of year fundraising pleas the last couple days?
Ed Brayton, 3 hours ago:
Thank You So Much
freethoughtblogs.com
After my recent surgery I asked for contributions from those in a position to give them to help make up for the lost income and expense of the
Where did he say the "Is everyone else..." quote? It's not on his twitter feed. Is it on Dispatches along with the other quote?

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Facebook

Darren

Post by Darren »

ERV wrote:Facebook
http://i.imgur.com/KTsPn.png

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote: Vogue already tried to do something with that pic, and they got fucking hammered for it.

That image is on the cover of a book entitled Typecasting by Ewen & Ewen; I recommend it highly, very interesting read. Though as a friend points out, it could have used some attention from a skilled editor.

Wow, wonder if Jen's former atheist pals regret supporting the spoiled flouncing princess? Seen that sort of behavior more times than I care to mention - it's like a petulant child who tires of the toy s/h/it couldn't get enough of the week before, and throws it across the room. WAAAAAAHHHHHH. Cry me a fucking river.

Oh, and Happy New Year, y'all! :animals-cow: :text-happynewyear:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Darren wrote:

Thanks Darren. That was my goal exactly.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ERV wrote:Ed Brayton, 4 hours ago:
Ed Brayton, 3 hours ago:
Thank You So Much
freethoughtblogs.com
I'm quite discouraged, or maybe disgusted, by finding out that at least one of these groups pay their directors and managers 6 digit salaries, while begging money and using volunteers for all the hard work.

I know that for US groups, IF they list themselves as charities, they have to declare the salaries of their managers/directors/etc in some sort of 501 public listing, but does anyone know if there is a similar requirement for Canadian charities?

And the ones who are NOT even charities, I trust even less. Zero accountability *cough watson cough sarkesian cough soilyamy cough* begging 'good cause' money that is actually just their paychecks in a self made job there's no or little need for. Mooching off of the communities.

The question for each of these groups that is in my mind, is, are they actually doing much, if any, real activism to have earned such comfy amounts? I mean a bus sign here and a taken down prayer there, how much does that cost to do? How many high paid cooks are needed for those pots?

I'm very disillusioned with all the various groups, orgs, conferences, etc that have popped up. Reminds me of what the women's movement has been doing for years - making cushy careers out of social justice causes. Where the fuck are the true (dis)believers? Oh yeah, volunteering.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gracias.

franc

Post by franc »

real horrorshow wrote:
dinkum wrote:Is it out of line to request that people stop reposting those fucking mugshots? I'm about to hurk up my cheese sandwich.
A valid point. Because we don't have any guidelines beyond the BB Code for Dummies thing. I'll post this here:

When quoting a long post and/or one with pics. embedded video etc. Only quote what you have to, to show what you're talking about. This helps with your loading time and reduces wear and tear on the scrolling finger.
That's like asking Eucliwood to think before clicking "submit".

But yes, it is fucking annoying and makes the site unusable on handhelds and with slow connections. The problem is that some people are so important they can't afford to waste the time to edit a post with reader consideration in mind to proudly proclaim in one line that they agree/disagree.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Rystefn wrote:
Steersman wrote:
comslave wrote: [spoiler]
Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote:Well, looks like what's been obvious to us all along is now official:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... b1b79e.jpg

"Leave me alone!!!"

FAIL
Jennifer McCreight religious conversion in...3...2...1...

Christianity+ anyone?
[/spoiler]I'd love to see her convert to Islam. That face was made for the burkha.
Maybe you would like to post your photograph so she can take potshots at your looks too? ….
So it's fair for me to call her a horse-faced hag, right? Because she's a horse-faced hag.
Certainly seems fair considering that you’ve posted your own photo. Although I wonder how you’d feel if you looked like Don Knotts or Quasimodo instead of the Marlboro Man [if a somewhat studious/punkish version] ….

Dan

Post by Dan »

http://i.imgur.com/lxsTl.png

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

A bit amateur. I only have Irfan View at home.

http://i.imgur.com/4NYSv.jpg

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Gumby wrote:
franc wrote:

Destroy this mad brute

Vogue already tried to do something with that pic, and they got fucking hammered for it.

I can see why! The lack of nipple is quite reprehensible. Bad, Vogue. Bad! :naughty:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

You cannot make another post so soon after your last.
This gets fucking annoying. Fuck you, Eucliwood, you fucking spastic fuck.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Gumby wrote:
Hey, don't blame me. Clearly the moderator put a strict time limit up... that or you post just as fast as I do. :D

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote: That image is on the cover of a book entitled Typecasting by Ewen & Ewen; I recommend it highly, very interesting read. Though as a friend points out, it could have used some attention from a skilled editor.
I added to my wish list, thanks.
Wow, wonder if Jen's former atheist pals regret supporting the spoiled flouncing princess? Seen that sort of behavior more times than I care to mention - it's like a petulant child who tires of the toy s/h/it couldn't get enough of the week before, and throws it across the room. WAAAAAAHHHHHH. Cry me a fucking river.
Well, I wouldn't count on her ditching her main pals at FfTB, just the people who bought her A+ horseshit. She needs to remain important, ya know.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

EdgePenguin wrote:The formatting of that essay may be scientific-ish, but the language is anything but. None of the astrophysics papers I read refer to people who have an opposing viewpoint as 'bullying psuedo-intellectual self appointed X commentariat'. The most inflammatory thing I've read in astrophysics so far is "X chose to ignore this data", which was written in anger during the height of the cusp-core debate. Maybe I'm not looking at sufficiently foul-mouthed journals.

I'm sure the guy has some valid points (TL;DR) but it just bugs me a little when people display outward trappings of academia/science when their content is basically polemic.
PeeZuss Christ!!!!

(also congratz in avoiding the batshit crazies at your local Uni)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Happy New Year to all my fellow pitters!

:character-beavisbutthead:

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I recall seeing some sort of infographic on male to female ratios at TAM over the years showing the drop of female attemdace in 2012. Can someone point me in the right direction. I can't find it for the lofe of me. Thanks in advance.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

mutleyeng wrote:judging by the racket outside, its now proper UTC new year
It's barely 7:30pm here, and the fireworks have been going off since....no. Actually, they started last night at midnight.

Makes me wonder if I would be Ok with fireworks if it weren't for my explosions-related PTSD. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 69a7bb.gif Have friends asking me to come out, but staying in and self-medicating with Jack Daniel's sounds like more fun at the moment....

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... mans-body/

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible experience of her own to share at SJW pity parties.

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Happy New Year to all my fellow pitters!

:character-beavisbutthead:
Thanks hun. It won't be the new year here for some hours now.

Happy New Year's Eve
to the rest of you.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Crossposting this quote, because I see that this is the active part of the forum, and because I think it is relevant to the discussion at hand:

"The first is the collection of authoritarian behaviours that many of us refer to as Stalinism, arising again and again within our ranks like poisonous mushrooms. Most of us on the Left think we’ve learned those lessons by now, but we seem incapable of abolishing the tendency and preventing its destructive effects within our own ranks. So we divide, and we divide again, and by doing so we give in to those who favour shrieking denunciations over authentic engagement. We seem to insist on weakening ourselves. Ally after ally is pared away because of insufficient obeisance to doctrine, the latter all too often conflated with personal quirks and idiosyncrasies. Mere disagreement can get one banned, shunned and/or publicly reviled and lied about. " (from a blogger I admire)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

franc wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:Satire is quite an effective messaging tool. Much like how Jon Stewart's The Daily Show and The Colbert Report rip a new one out of Fox News on a regular basis. The Slymepit already uses a lot of satire (Jan Steen's work, for instance). The use of satire can be used to thwart FTB/A+ memes, dogmas and newspeak.
Quote that bears repeating -

"How much truth is contained in something can be best determined by making it thoroughly laughable and then watching to see how much joking around it can take. For truth is a matter that can withstand mockery, that is freshened by any ironic gesture directed at it. Whatever cannot withstand satire is false." -- Peter Sloterdijk
I just posted that Sloterdijk quote in Greta Christina's thread at FtB here asking people to report the "Ophelia Benson" twitter accounts. Which, of course, Greta feels certain are by some "misogynist, anti-feminist asshole" who is part of "the campaign of harassment against feminist women on the Internet in general and in the atheosphere in particular".

Altair

Post by Altair »

It's finally night over here, so Happy New Year to everyone in the pit!
For those of you who are already on 2013, check your rotational privilege.

One for the anti-women chauvinistic pigs here

http://usethiscover.com/covers/504921.jpg

And one for the gender traitors

http://hotchocolatefinder.files.wordpre ... ewyear.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible experience of her own to share at SJW pity parties.
Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Reading that actually made me a bit nauseous. There truly is no level to which these Freethoughtblogs scumbags won't sink.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

JackRayner wrote:
mutleyeng wrote:judging by the racket outside, its now proper UTC new year
It's barely 7:30pm here, and the fireworks have been going off since....no. Actually, they started last night at midnight.

Makes me wonder if I would be Ok with fireworks if it weren't for my explosions-related PTSD.
I hate fireworks... I think from when I used to have a dog. The poor blighter would find something to lay under and shake uncontrollably. No amount of hugz would help

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote:
Gumby wrote:Gawd, Lois Griffin is hot... lol
I know.

Now, how do I go about in acquiring one of those neat hats?
Well, I got mine to honor Al Stefanelli's arrival here. Mykeru proceeded to steal my hat, clone it, and hand them out freely. Fucking thief. Anyway, he'll be happy to hook you up.
Yup.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8325 ... cbac_o.jpg

And those lacking in graphic editing skills, I do requests.

New Years eve is my time for quite reflection and often I just go to bed early. Mostly it's because I determined a long time ago that the most shit way to begin the year is hung over on Jan 1st. You know, sets the tone.

A Happy New Year to all you fuckers and have friends with bail money handy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Couple of quick counterexamples to claim that parody twitter accounts are targeted at "feminist women":

https://twitter.com/search?q=groupthinkblogs&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40atheismplus_&src=typd
https://twitter.com/search?q=%40gregIaden&src=typd

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

This "Edward Gemmer" guy is transparently 'having a go' at them, and they cannot even see it. They are so wound up in their own self-righteous pity party, that they are taking his jokes as 'very very serious insults', and responding in kind. LOL.

Amusing stuff!

And I am new here. I have been reading FTB on and off, and I have come to the conclusion that the place is a lot like high school. Why so much drama from supposedly mature, rational bloggers? I like a great many of them, and agree with them philosophically. But debate is a good thing, and they shun debate in favour of high school hi-jinks. It is sad.

franc

Post by franc »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gotta disagree with you on your choice of douchebag Eberhard. He was unreadable at FTB, and over at Patheos he joined in the FTB attack on Justin Vacula. Also his idea of activism is to play retro video games with Thimbledick.
Just one captured example of Eberhard's creative reality engineering -

http://i.imgur.com/NSdVN.png

Eucliwood

Post by Eucliwood »

Gumby wrote:
Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Reading that actually made me a bit nauseous. There truly is no level to which these Freethoughtblogs scumbags won't sink.
My thoughts exactly... I think I might mention that in my post back. I'll keep it polite, of course.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Wait til Oolon shows up. They've got quite a toxic symbiosis going on. He winds her up with his reports from the "slymy" world outside their bubble, then soothes her with his oily commiseration. She'll spend the New Year throwing rocks at the moon.

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

having said I hate fireworks, there is this youtube clip of a nice display from the olympics that might help celebrate and bring a smile to someones face if staying in ...
a chap who was a little nearer to the display than he realized

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote: New Years eve is my time for quite reflection and often I just go to bed early. Mostly it's because I determined a long time ago that the most shit way to begin the year is hung over on Jan 1st. You know, sets the tone.
A wise choice. Legend has it that this is the night of the year when the legendary Watsoncabra terrorizes countless bars and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians after last call.

AKAHorace

Post by AKAHorace »

Happy New Year, Slime pitters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Making up for "lost income and expense" ...

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:
Gumby wrote:Fucking hell. She not only makes that horrific crime all about her, she casually uses that raped and dead woman as a vehicle with which to further her blatant lies about the A/S community, She's equivocating the men who committed that vicious assault with men who do nothing but larf at her and disagree with her.

Wait til Oolon shows up. They've got quite a toxic symbiosis going on. He winds her up with his reports from the "slymy" world outside their bubble, then soothes her with his oily commiseration. She'll spend the New Year throwing rocks at the moon.
I'm pretty sure Ophie reads this place as much as Oozeschlong does, but yeah, he'll weasel in there soon for his usual tattle-and"did I do good, mummy?" session. Blecch.

skepCHUD

Post by skepCHUD »

Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

Just my opinion, but I think Simpleflower from A+ takes the prize for looniest, drooliest commenter. No contest.

Are you saying that Kassianne and her pack of fascist mods didn't conspire to steal her cyberhugs??!!
Everybody is unfair to simpleflower!

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Eucliwood wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Hey, don't blame me. Clearly the moderator put a strict time limit up... that or you post just as fast as I do. :D
You, Eucliwood, as the direct proximate reason I imposed that limit. He CAN blame you - it's because of you.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

skepCHUD wrote:Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

Just my opinion, but I think Simpleflower from A+ takes the prize for looniest, drooliest commenter. No contest.

Are you saying that Kassianne and her pack of fascist mods didn't conspire to steal her cyberhugs??!!

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
We'll start a hugs thread just for her...

and then steal them all...bwah-ha-ha!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

skepCHUD wrote:Gumby; Normally you appear to be a rational person, but then you say;

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
It's time for another viewing of this lovely moment, wen Justicar tries his very best not to laugh. He fails.

[youtube]9C_11laqbvM[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

YOU DISAPPOINT ME !!!
True. I guess I'm guilty of victim-blaming. My most sincerestest apologies to SimpleFlower *hugs*

AKAHorace

Post by AKAHorace »

Off to the pub, as the rest of you should.

Get off this list, it is time to get drunk.

(Unless you are Australian, in which case you have missed the boat on this one)

franc

Post by franc »

List of toilet slugs. Don't forget Adam Lee - who makes oooooooolon's obsequious toadying look trivial.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Ophelia makes the death of the woman who was raped and skewered all about her:

I think it's worth remembering that the whole schism kicked off when Watson and her supporters decided to freak out at remarks by Dawkins that contrasted the 'difficulties' faced by women at Western skeptic events with those faced by women in the developing world. I don't know all the details here but I would hazard a guess that the kind of people that would partake in the gang rape of a woman and, afterwards, ram an iron rod through her intestines before throwing her off a moving bus, could safely be described as mysogynists. Now I don't know the details of the perpetrators but I'll hazard a guess that they weren't a group of skeptics on their way home from TAM India. They were, in all likelihood about as religious as the rest of the population, and had been brought up with the views about women that their religion inculcates in them, something that real atheist activists like Dawkins have been fighting for years (and was the central point in his 'Dear Muslima' remark.) It is also sad to remember that at one time Ophelia hershelf was one of the atheists known for railing against religious views of women in the developing world, before she disappeared down the rebbecit hole.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

HAHA. I love that one. It's very cheery.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

She's never going to feel complete until she has a truly horrible mildly unpleasant experience of her own to share over-react to and moan on about endlessly at SJW pity parties.
"Mhnk, mnhk, have you seen my death threat dear? I always carry it with me. Shocking isn't it? OooOoHh, that franc person said he'd kick me in the cunt as soon as he finds an archaeologist to show him where it is. I live in fear you know. Mhnk mhnk, barman! Pint of fucking sherry!"