Old subthreads
Mr Danksworth

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Any word on the A+ mod mole?

cunt

Post by cunt »

About the jump, it's just snobbery pure and simple. The guy jumped from the edge of space but i'm still his superior - thats the subtext.

Fuck Myers.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Michael K Gray wrote:Yay Fozzie!
The bear's a comedian! The comedian's a bear! (What's with the hat? Doesn't that make him a queer or summink?)
Damn it! I had *just* gotten that PZ-Fozzie image out of my head!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lsuoma wrote:
gooby wrote: Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?
I think you need to grow a thicker skin if you plan to hang out here...
Yes...this...read my tagline :D

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Peezee thinks Felix Baumgart-erm, thingy's jump was just a colossal stunt, in this post titled 'The Big Stunt' (hmmm): http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... big-stunt/

Which is fair enough - own opinions and all that. However, this bit stuck out somewhat:
It was a spectacular act of bravery, but it was also little more than a colossal stunt and a $10 million advertising gimmick for Red Bull.
Well, I kind of have to agree. I mean, where's the conceptual link with 'Red Bull Gives You Wings' and a guy falling to earth while rapidly not flapping? It almost reminds me of an atheist/skeptic blog carrying ads for religion, or something.
What the fuck is Myers' expertise on skydiving? This at least is a field I could take him up to task with.

Beardman, shut the fuck up on things you "don't get".

Thanks.
Some things just fall under the Mallory Law: Because it's fucking there.

Of course, in an age where climbing Everest is an industry in which rich bastards pay sherpas to drag them up there, we can forget that there was a race to the poles in which Robert Falcon Scott died (*admittedly, for being something of a dick) and Roald Amundsen succeeded (because dogs are good eating) plus a race to the third pole: Everst in which people died to get there for no other reason than no one did it before.

Without that drive to "do it because we can" or "do it to see if we can" the Wright Brothers would have stayed obscure bike shop owners, Alexander Fleming wouldn't have given a shit why his petri dishes on the sill had dead bacteria in them and we wouldn't have bothered to go to the moon.

Or, for that matter, gotten out of the fucking trees.

What P.Z. thinks is a bullshit corporate stunt is, in fact, is what makes us such extraordinary primates. We have to know, to do, to see what's beyond the next hill, and sometimes we do things to face our fears and say "fuck you" to fate.

That stunt was, on so many levels, a virtuoso performance of human mastery. The entire point of which is for us to say about ourselves "not bad for a primate".

But no, The Peez shifts his fat ass in his ergonomic chair, picks his boxers out his ass, gives his finger a sniff, and decides that "stunt" was not up to his standards of impotent fucknuttery, and bravely applies finger to keyboard, which is pretty much all he does.

Fuck you, Peez and your lounging derision.
Philip of Tealand wrote:
I see you and young Mykeru are intent on destroying my entire office's supply of keyboards, damn you both and your trousers for being so funny!

:D
And fuck your keyboard too.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
I'm replying COS I can.
I found it impossible to not call you out on your SIN.
That's only because of my adorable TAN.
It makes you look adorably RAD I must say.
I knew if I stuck around here long enough I was sure to run across some truly transcendental, not to say spiritual, discussions ….
It's not integral to my nature I must say when you cauchy it that way. However, you are certainly outstanding in your field and I am happy to be in the same group as you. Why don't you give me a ring sometime and we will have coffee?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

cunt wrote:About the jump, it's just snobbery pure and simple. The guy jumped from the edge of space but i'm still his superior - thats the subtext.

Fuck Myers.
The Race to the Moon, if conducted by Atheism Plus under the direction of The Peez, would consist entirely of blogging about the dangers of rape in 1/6th earth gravity.

Steve Schuler

Post by Steve Schuler »

gooby wrote:Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?
I very much enjoyed observing two (s)wordsmen of high calibre, not unworthy opponents, engaged valiantly in verbal combat in which the provocateur (MKG) was in the end soundly defeated by his interlocuter (gooby). MKG's unparalleled ascerbic wit ultimately failed to prevail against gooby's persistent rejoinders. However unlikely it may be that someone named "gooby" could emerge victorious in any competition, today I have witnessed just that.

Mykeru

Re: Caffiene

Post by Mykeru »

Michael K Gray wrote:In 100 year's time, Caffeine addiction will be treated in the same manner as is nicotine addiction.
Caffeine remains the only ADDICTIVE mind-altering drug that is mandatorily provided free of charge in most workplaces.
I wish I got free coffee.

(Picks up stainless steel Starbucks sippy cup and lights up...)

ReneeHendricks

Re: Caffiene

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:In 100 year's time, Caffeine addiction will be treated in the same manner as is nicotine addiction.
Caffeine remains the only ADDICTIVE mind-altering drug that is mandatorily provided free of charge in most workplaces.
I wish I got free coffee.

(Picks up stainless steel Starbucks sippy cup and lights up...)
Caffeine? What caffeine (pushing gigantic diet Rock Star behind monitor)?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Mykeru wrote:
Some things just fall under the Mallory Law: Because it's fucking there.

Of course, in an age where climbing Everest is an industry in which rich bastards pay sherpas to drag them up there, we can forget that there was a race to the poles in which Robert Falcon Scott died (*admittedly, for being something of a dick) and Roald Amundsen succeeded (because dogs are good eating) plus a race to the third pole: Everst in which people died to get there for no other reason than no one did it before.

Without that drive to "do it because we can" or "do it to see if we can" the Wright Brothers would have stayed obscure bike shop owners, Alexander Fleming wouldn't have given a shit why his petri dishes on the sill had dead bacteria in them and we wouldn't have bothered to go to the moon.

Or, for that matter, gotten out of the fucking trees.

What P.Z. thinks is a bullshit corporate stunt is, in fact, is what makes us such extraordinary primates. We have to know, to do, to see what's beyond the next hill, and sometimes we do things to face our fears and say "fuck you" to fate.

That stunt was, on so many levels, a virtuoso performance of human mastery. The entire point of which is for us to say about ourselves "not bad for a primate".

But no, The Peez shifts his fat ass in his ergonomic chair, picks his boxers out his ass, gives his finger a sniff, and decides that "stunt" was not up to his standards of impotent fucknuttery, and bravely applies finger to keyboard, which is pretty much all he does.

Fuck you, Peez and your lounging derision.
This was beautifuly put. And makes me even more aware of armchair activists, as they are of the same essence.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Browsing FfTB (as you do), I came across this abomination:
Black Zvan wrote:This afternoon, Crommunist tweeted me a link to this post about a Reddit contributor begging women to negotiate salaries:

What follows is a set of bullet points telling women what they “need” to do to get fair pay. The blogger who posted this also posted several comments agreeing and offering more advice. All lovely and useful and practical.

And bullshit.

Dear manager who is paying his or her female employees less than the males: You’re discriminating against women. Worse than that, you know you’re discriminating, and you’re blaming the people you’re discriminating against.
Incriminating enough, no?

This is what the Redditor actually said.
Obviously this is a throwaway, my employer would be far from happy to see me talking about this. I am not a researcher and can't offer and statistics, just what I see in my day to day job.
Today I finished interviewing my third new hire this month, two of which are women. They both are getting paid substantially less than the man I hired earlier this month, and to be honest I am getting tired of that. I don't set the wages, I just handle negotiations (HR has to approve every offer I make).
Our process, despite the pay gap, is identical for men and women. We start with phone interviews, and move into a personal and technical interview. Once a candidate passes both of those, we start salary negotiations. This is where the women seem to come in last.
The reason they don't keep up, from where I sit, is simple. Often, a woman will enter the salary negotiation phase and I'll tell them a number will be sent to them in a couple days. Usually we start around $45k for an entry level position. 50% to 60% of the women I interview simply take this offer. It's insane, I already know I can get authorization for more if you simply refuse. Inversely, almost 90% of the men I interview immediately ask for more upon getting the offer.
The next major mistake happens with how they ask for more. In general, the women I have negotiated with will say 45k is not enough and they need more, but not give a number. I will then usually give a nominal bump to 48k or 50k. Company policy wont let me bump more than 5k over the initial offer unless they specifically request more. On the other hand, men more frequently will come back with a number along the lines of 65k to 75k, and I will be forced to negotiate down from there. After this phase, almost all women will take the offer or move on to somewhere else, not knowing they could have gotten more if they asked.
At the end, most of the women I hire make between 45k and 50k, whereas the men make between 60k and 70k. Even more crazy, they ask for raises far less often, so the disparity only grows.
I don't know if this is at all helpful, I feel most of it is common sense, but I see it all the time. How can I help?
So this manager isn't in charge of salaries and is attempting to give women advice for negotiating salaries. How is this sexist again? And what were the bullet points?
TL;DR :
[*]Don't be afraid to ask for more, it's not insulting or in any way going to affect your ability to be hired (we can always say no)
[*]When you ask for more, give a number! If you let me pick, I will continue to lowball it.
[*]Ask for raises, confident people get them more often than high performers in a heavy bureaucracy.
On a small sidenote, the one person who got the most out of us was a highly aggressive, very smart, very confident woman. She nearly doubled the initial offer, which due to how she marketed herself was already pretty high.
*sigh*

If you weren't convinced Zvan was clinically mentally challenged before, this will.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Reap wrote:Some of you may want to listen to this

http://angryatheist.info/?p=937

ERV on The Angry Atheist podcast
Listening now, Abbie is cracking me up. What was it she said about a dark cavernous place? :D
Damn, trying to get the player to work to see if Abbie has a hot, sultry science-y voice...I mean, for information on the evolutionary development of retroviruses.

Damn typo...

The other day I was explaining that Matt Dillahunty had the intellectual depth of a lipid bilayer. Which made me wish I still had my old biology, chemistry and anatomy and physiology notebooks. Because I would half write, half illustrate notes (recopying) like it was an illuminated manuscript, pencil, ink in and color. My phospholipid bilayer and Central Dogma of Molecular Biology illustrations were particular things of beauty.

However, I'm told my Krebs cycle was an over-reach in terms of draftsmanship.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
I'm replying COS I can.
...That's only because of my adorable TAN.
I knew if I stuck around here long enough I was sure to run across some truly transcendental, not to say spiritual, discussions ….
It's not integral to my nature I must say when you cauchy it that way. However, you are certainly outstanding in your field and I am happy to be in the same group as you. Why don't you give me a ring sometime and we will have coffee?
Depends on which functions you had in mind, the differentials in play, what privilege level your operating system is running at, the nature of the space in which the proposition was advanced, the turing machine you’re driving and how well it cantors around the track …. but I’m interested in further correlations as long as we don’t get descartes before de horse … :-)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ROFLMAO! This guy is scared of PZ Myers - [link]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-wall ... 61634.html[/link]

*Hilarious*!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO! This guy is scared of PZ Myers - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-wall ... 61634.html

*Hilarious*!
How is that funny? Coulrophobia is a recognized anxiety disorder.

mordacious1

Pz

Post by mordacious1 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO! This guy is scared of PZ Myers - [link]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-wall ... 61634.html[/link]

*Hilarious*!
Just the fact that he calls PZ "sweet lovable PZ Myers" shows that he doesn't know the players in the game very well.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'd rather drink myself to death than go to a AA meeting

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mykeru wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO! This guy is scared of PZ Myers - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-wall ... 61634.html

*Hilarious*!
At least I now have Fozzie off the brain. Now I can imagine PZ with a big red rubber nose.

ReneeHendricks

Re: Pz

Post by ReneeHendricks »

mordacious1 wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:ROFLMAO! This guy is scared of PZ Myers - [link]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-wall ... 61634.html[/link]

*Hilarious*!
Just the fact that he calls PZ "sweet lovable PZ Myers" shows that he doesn't know the players in the game very well.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that bit. Sweet and lovable PZ ain't.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

More on RedBull-- Sorry, this pissed me off.
... but it’s still a big commercial that put a man’s life at risk...
That wasnt the only thing at risk. If Felix died, RedBull would be over. Millions of people all over the world would have seen a man squished like a bug on a windshield the surface of the planet. The irony of 'RedBull gives you wings!... lol not really you die.' would be lost on no one. The company would have been royally fucked.

But they believe in their principles-- Supporting high-risk feats of man-- so they put their neck out for this 'stunt' despite the fact it could have ruined their company.

Someone (in this case, lots of someones who gave this 'stunt' the green-light) having principles. No wonder PZ is baffled.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
I'm replying COS I can.
I found it impossible to not call you out on your SIN.
That's only because of my adorable TAN.
That should have come with a trig warning...

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

How the fuck do you embed a YouTube video?

papillon

Post by papillon »

Apologies if this is re-posted, but I've just watched this vid.
It's apparently a dialogue between an educated woman and a belligerent teen. Ann Althouse isn't buying Rebecca's shit at all.
(TL;DW) Personal highlights include:
[*]A description of Elevator Guy (which subsequently triggers her prosopagnosia.)
[*]A toe-curling reading of 'Dear Muslima' which can't end soon enough for Bex.
[*]Bex describing herself as an 'atheist communicator'
[*]Her being told that if she was alert, she could have simply walked out of the elevator.
[*]A claim that if a woman attends a meeting with thirty guys, she will be hit on thirty times and have to reject thirty guys.
[*]Advising men to "...Put fort the effort to learn how to behave like human beings"
[*] 'I can't tell you how many men have touched me inappropriately at these conferences."
[*]Ann suggests that these are perhaps socially awkward men and that Bex should we have some sympathy towards them.
Rebecca (laughing) - No.
[*]Ann accuses Rebecca of not being critical towards the 'religion of feminism'.

Skip first 20mins
[youtube]LHbyalQxcGI[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Keyboard protection 101 in the Slyme Pit:
  • Never take a sip of your drink (whether caffeinated or not) right before moving to the next post.
  • Only after reading a post should you sip.
  • Or, if you simply must sip, turn your head and read out of the corner of one eye.
Those of you having trouble accepting this, or who want to argue, will be sent back to read "Keyboard Protection 101" as many times as it takes. None of this drinksplaining, you hear?

___

On another note, here's a new word (bolding added for effect):
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =25#p33874
Kassiane wrote:I love the smell of whitesplaining in the morning. And it takes a white person to think there's no such thing as racism.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: What the fuck is Myers' expertise on skydiving? This at least is a field I could take him up to task with.
In fairness to PZ, he's at least a lot more familiar with the intricacies of advertising. Particularly when it comes to Pharyngula, FTB and the Pharyngula RSS feed.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

*Hilarious*!
At least I now have Fozzie off the brain. Now I can imagine PZ with a big red rubber nose.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8097 ... 5216_z.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Al Stefanelli wrote:How the fuck do you embed a YouTube video?
SN did a quick tutorial here: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... =18#p20327

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Remove the "youtube.com/watch?" and just enter the random code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?LHbyalQxcGI

Removing the link, making it just LHbyalQxcGI

[youtube]LHbyalQxcGI[/youtube]

Voila!

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

I think I've found Surly Amy's secret sciencey art workshop.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2152/I/761 ... ewelry.jpg

Although it does say for ages 6+, so probably not hers then.

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'd rather drink myself to death than go to a AA meeting
Luckily, I had set my coffee cup down before seeing this!!!!! :lol:

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[youtube]bHncoxvxRO8[/youtube]

papillon

Post by papillon »

It's only a prototype, but how the fuck is she going to fit in an elevator with that on?

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... f21215.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

You click the youtube button top right in the post editor

you'll get youtube /youtube in brackets

go to video and copy the URL

You'll get something like

You want to copy the bit between the V= and &. Some don't have the & part at all.

In other words this:

rtOUWCKBKB8

You stick that in the brackets

Like this (I'm changing style of brackets, obviously, so it will show here)

{youtube}rtOUWCKBKB8{/youtube}

Preview and you should see the embedded youtube.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Any word on the A+ mod mole?
No further news as of yet, it seems...

Pity, cos I'm so bloody curious about this.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

gooby wrote: Well, science, as well as mathematics, and art are both creative endeavors.
Mere semantics. The differences between the process to, say, arrive at the microchip and the process to arrive at [insert your favorite piece of art] are not superficial, and they are not few.

The talk about links between creativity and psychopathology doesn't even need to be considered. Absolutely every artist and scientist could be a cat's meow away from being clinically insane, and it wouldn't change the above.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:Any word on the A+ mod mole?
No further news as of yet, it seems...

Pity, cos I'm so bloody curious about this.
I was expecting the big reveal to happen this week.
He must have decided to wait a bit longer.
Out yourself man! We can't wait!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Hi Al. :) Here is my forum youtube how-to guide:

YouTube Embedding Tutorial

Ok, here's how you do it. A youtube video url will come in two different types. The kind with the video code at the end, and the kind with the code in the middle. You need to strip off this extra stuff before putting the code (alone) between the youtube tags.

Here are two different urls going to the same video:

Code: Select all

code at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk

and code in the middle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk&feature=plcp
Always get rid of everything up to and including, the first (or only) equal sign "=".
The stuff after it is the code, but note in the second example, there is extra stuff after the code.
The extra stuff after always begins with an "&" followed by whatever extra stuff.
Strip off the &'s and the extra stuff following at the end.

To sum it up, just keep the part between the first "=" and the first "&" (if there is one).

We are left with just the code: xC03hmS1Brk so...

Code: Select all

Now put that inside youtube tags:
[youtube]xC03hmS1Brk[/youtube]
The above tag and code will become this when posted:

[youtube]xC03hmS1Brk[/youtube]

Reap

Post by Reap »

Mykeru wrote:
cunt wrote:About the jump, it's just snobbery pure and simple. The guy jumped from the edge of space but i'm still his superior - thats the subtext.

Fuck Myers.
The Race to the Moon, if conducted by Atheism Plus under the direction of The Peez, would consist entirely of blogging about the dangers of rape in 1/6th earth gravity.

Well known fact- Few things are more dangerous than a bunch of dicks floating around in low gravity. PZ may not know shit about skydiving but I bet he knows plenty about floating dicks. It just seems like a topic that would interest him greatly

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

mutleyeng wrote:
SteveW68 wrote:
oolon, the shit-stirrer wrote:FFS I’ve seen a couple over there seriously suggesting that the ‘@SamanthaBoals’ troll really might be Rebecca Watsons friend! No depths of stupidity are too deep when you hate your foes
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-310504

And you wonder why people have you on "ignore"? You wonder why people don't want to engage with you or have trouble taking anythng you say seriously?
*shakes head*
being fairly new in these parts, I was undecided about that fellow - that makes it pretty clear what a dishonest sack of shit he is. Thanks for clearing that up for me
Uh? I thought I made it clear I was happy to laugh at Slymepitter stupidity both here and over at FtBs? Or do you prefer it when we laugh at you from the safety of FtBs-towers? I think in regard to this I'm pretty correct in that there have been Slymepitters with the requisite lack of nous to spot obvious troll is obvious! (As Steersman showed in his post) I'm being a little presumptuous to assume hate has made those Pitters that thick - maybe they are just... Thick!?

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ERV wrote:RedBull also has a record label, giving opportunities to 'less mainstream' artists, giving them, ironically, a means to 'get famous'. One of my favorite recent musical artists is AWOLNATION, and I fucking LOVE 'Sail'. I love the shit out of that song, I dont care how many BMW commercials they 'sell out' to.
Holy fuck... Thank you so much telling me about that song.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Honestly for the purposes of this discussion I could be a high school dropout and you'd still have your head deep, deep up your ass.
Ahem, as a slightly mental HS dropout I would like to agree on the correlation between mental illness and creativity. Everyone I know is creative in some way and they all have some sort of fucking loony mental illness. In conclusion -As a high school dropout I'd like to declare "WIN" for all of us dummies. Now let's go shoot stuff that's what smartly people do after they win stuff.

And no you do not get an "auto-win" on future subjects. I fell for that trick all through my 30s

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Looks like "I kill people" is the default YT embed example.

I would like to propose a new, more educational video:

[youtube]nAFrFh2Fm_Y[/youtube]

That's older than fuck, and still makes me laugh

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

gooby wrote: Forum, what do you think of this disgraceful exchange?
Appeal to authority?

It was fun watching one aspie argue with another.

In any event as an aspie myself, when Caine over at the baboon board suggested I was a PUA I nearly died of laughing. Your exchange was what I envisioned at the thought of one aspie trying to pick up another.

Personally, I think you two should kiss and make up. But that is just me.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Michael K Gray wrote: Oh yes! It was "Scheveningen"!
I pride myself on my mimicry, but my attempts to reproduce it in front of an all Dutch family had them in laughing-fitd to the point of collapse.
Reminds me of my attempts to speak more than a few words of Fench, except substitute my own relatives for your Dutch family. And one of them did collapse onto the floor.

oolon, slimy turd

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Yeah, dilurk is >>THIS CLOSE<< to going on my ignore list too, due to engaging with Mr. Crazyfuck.
Don't forget, people:

...trolls...kittens...image..
Oh well I was going to respond to Dilurk, but I see Lsuoma on 'freethought' central here pulled a nice threat out to shun anyone responding to me! And this is a MOD on here? The place where anything goes...?

One FtB fencesitter has you all scurrying for the 'ignore' function... Way to live up to the hype! :doh:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Rystefn wrote:
ERV wrote:RedBull also has a record label, giving opportunities to 'less mainstream' artists, giving them, ironically, a means to 'get famous'. One of my favorite recent musical artists is AWOLNATION, and I fucking LOVE 'Sail'. I love the shit out of that song, I dont care how many BMW commercials they 'sell out' to.
Its an addictive song, isnt it? Like an ice-cold, refreshing RedBull...

Im assuming you also caught the hysterical spoof video?

So does Myers think investing in music a 'waste of time/money' like investing in athletes? Generic, cliche nerd BS where investing in the music/arts/literature SHOULD BE A PRIORITY but investing in talented athletes is a WASTE OF MONEY because JOX SUX!

[youtube]IRsPheErBj8[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Yeah, dilurk is >>THIS CLOSE<< to going on my ignore list too, due to engaging with Mr. Crazyfuck.
Don't forget, people:

Oh well I was going to respond to Dilurk, but I see Lsuoma on 'freethought' central here pulled a nice threat out to shun anyone responding to me! And this is a MOD on here? The place where anything goes...?

One FtB fencesitter has you all scurrying for the 'ignore' function... Way to live up to the hype! :doh:
http://gumbercules.com/obvious_troll.jpg

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Al Stefanelli wrote:[youtube]bHncoxvxRO8[/youtube]

I totally had one of those as a kid. Nostalgia overload. The 'slime' was a magnet for dirt, dead skin cells, and anything else it came into contact with...pretty much a biological weapon.

oolon, slimy turd

ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:What a strong, independent woman Ophelia is:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... avoidance/

Such a lovely personality too. :whistle:
And what *witty* sycophants she has: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-310722
So when the witty 'franc'ophiles over here take the piss out of FtBs.... With wonderful things such as 'Cunt kicking' and 'Rebeccunt Twatson' that is the height of erudite rationality? Just trying to see things through slimy-glasses and check I've worked out how your world view works... in-group good, out-group bad just about sums it up, no?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mr Danksworth wrote: I totally had one of those as a kid. Nostalgia overload. The 'slime' was a magnet for dirt, dead skin cells, and anything else it came into contact with...pretty much a biological weapon.
IRL:

[youtube]http://2.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksycx9 ... o1_400.jpg[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote: I totally had one of those as a kid. Nostalgia overload. The 'slime' was a magnet for dirt, dead skin cells, and anything else it came into contact with...pretty much a biological weapon.
IRL:

[youtube]http://2.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksycx9 ... o1_400.jpg[/youtube]
Err...

http://2.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ksycx9 ... o1_400.jpg

oolon, slimy turd

Lsuoma wrote:
oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Don't forget, people:

http://gumbercules.com/obvious_troll.jpg
And I'm wrong how....? Lsuoma needs no rational argument, just pull the troll card...

Now where have I seen that before? Oh yeah Nerd of Redhead, John Morales, Ing, Caine when I was on Pharyngula... Just sayin' :think:

You know sometimes 'saying things for effect', which is trolling, does not invalidate the argument :whistle:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:What a strong, independent woman Ophelia is:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... avoidance/

Such a lovely personality too. :whistle:
And what *witty* sycophants she has: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-310722
So when the witty 'franc'ophiles over here take the piss out of FtBs.... With wonderful things such as 'Cunt kicking' and 'Rebeccunt Twatson' that is the height of erudite rationality? Just trying to see things through slimy-glasses and check I've worked out how your world view works... in-group good, out-group bad just about sums it up, no?
Again with the "francophile" meme*!

As far as in-group/out-group goes, check your privilege. I'm starting to not being amused anymore.

*Joke, nobody cares.

oolon, slimy turd

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Again with the "francophile" meme*!

As far as in-group/out-group goes, check your privilege. I'm starting to not being amused anymore.

*Joke, nobody cares.
That is a meme? I thought I was being original... You'll probably point me to where I used it before, doh! I'll have to use it over at FtBs to see if it sticks (Dishonest shit-bag that I am!)

Absolutely right about the in-group/out-group thing for me too, but does this place not style itself as coldly rational? Only here can the 'truth' about FtBs be divined without cognitive bias... I've obviously tackled the Pharyngulites on their in-group bias against you lot, mostly they just assert they *know* you are all misogynist-scum (As PZ puts it). So I thought you may be more alert to it than some here appear to be...

Post by Guest »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Now where have I seen that before? Oh yeah Nerd of Redhead, John Morales, Ing, Caine when I was on Pharyngula... Just sayin' :think:
So, your example of dishonest argumentation is ... some regulars on Pharyngula. What is it you're trying to prove again?

I think until you apologize for consistently lying about how this board responded to Sammy Boal no one here is under any obligation to take you seriously.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ERV wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Its an addictive song, isnt it? Like an ice-cold, refreshing RedBull...

Im assuming you also caught the hysterical spoof video?

So does Myers think investing in music a 'waste of time/money' like investing in athletes? Generic, cliche nerd BS where investing in the music/arts/literature SHOULD BE A PRIORITY but investing in talented athletes is a WASTE OF MONEY because JOX SUX!

[youtube]IRsPheErBj8[/youtube]
Yeah, I hate Red Bull. If you like it, though, knock yourself out, I'm sure I like something you can't stand.

Also, fuck that jock/nerd animosity bullshit. All talents are the product of luck, and all skills are the product of hard work. We should celebrate and support them all.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Pitchguest wrote:Browsing FfTB (as you do), I came across this abomination:
Black Zvan wrote:This afternoon, Crommunist tweeted me a link to this post about a Reddit contributor begging women to negotiate salaries:

What follows is a set of bullet points telling women what they “need” to do to get fair pay. The blogger who posted this also posted several comments agreeing and offering more advice. All lovely and useful and practical.

And bullshit.

Dear manager who is paying his or her female employees less than the males: You’re discriminating against women. Worse than that, you know you’re discriminating, and you’re blaming the people you’re discriminating against.
Incriminating enough, no?

This is what the Redditor actually said.

[snip]
Our process, despite the pay gap, is identical for men and women. We start with phone interviews, and move into a personal and technical interview. Once a candidate passes both of those, we start salary negotiations. This is where the women seem to come in last.
The reason they don't keep up, from where I sit, is simple. Often, a woman will enter the salary negotiation phase and I'll tell them a number will be sent to them in a couple days. Usually we start around $45k for an entry level position. 50% to 60% of the women I interview simply take this offer. It's insane, I already know I can get authorization for more if you simply refuse. Inversely, almost 90% of the men I interview immediately ask for more upon getting the offer.
[snip]

So this manager isn't in charge of salaries and is attempting to give women advice for negotiating salaries. How is this sexist again? And what were the bullet points?
TL;DR :
[*]Don't be afraid to ask for more, it's not insulting or in any way going to affect your ability to be hired (we can always say no)
[*]When you ask for more, give a number! If you let me pick, I will continue to lowball it.
[*]Ask for raises, confident people get them more often than high performers in a heavy bureaucracy.
On a small sidenote, the one person who got the most out of us was a highly aggressive, very smart, very confident woman. She nearly doubled the initial offer, which due to how she marketed herself was already pretty high.
*sigh*

If you weren't convinced Zvan was clinically mentally challenged before, this will.
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this explains the small remainder of the pay gap that goes unaccounted for. :think:

And Zvan is an idiot in the same vein as Anita Sarkeesian. ["Feminist Frequency", discussed here a little while ago.] They see sexism against women anytime a sex difference is observed or noted.

Redditor: "Women; you are sucking at negotiating your salaries, and it's really driving me nuts. Your salary is for YOU to negotiate. I'm not allowed to do it for the people that I interview/hire, but for the rest of you, here are some tips..."

Zvan: "WHY DO YOU HATE WOMEN!!!!? VICTIM BLAMER!!!1"