Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote:
papillon wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote: FreeThoughtBlogs - It's a Guy Thing!!!
"Guys, don't do that"
"How could you be so angry at four little words in an off the cuff Youtube video? That's all it was and now Rebeccas being threatened, cyberstalked and having her every word pulled apart and examined by evil misogynists. Four little words. What's the big deal?"

"It's a guy thing"
"WAAAHHH !!11! - misogyny 101 ! we knew he hated women all along! now he doesn't even bother to hide it!! Teh patriarchy is protecting him. Pass me that book of his and I'll prove it by cherry picking the witch hunt part..see told you..the sexism is just dripping off him! Just like Hitchens and Dawkins. Privileged rich white man that he is.
BURN HIM! CAST HIM OUT! BURN HIM WITH FIRE!

...just four words eh?
Haha. Good observation.
True. But are they directly and completely analogous? Is it then necessary to say, in the interests of consistency and of not being hypocritical, that if you defend Shermer for saying his four that one must, perforce, defend Watson for saying her four?

I would say not as Shermer’s words seem more descriptive – simply describing a set of circumstances without implying any moral judgements, no inexorable “is-ought” connection; whereas Watson’s are quite egregiously and arrogantly prescriptive, asserting that her experiences and feelings should dictate behaviours of other people - entirely men because she would, of course, never ever take advantage of people in various stages of inebriation ….

Darren

Post by Darren »

CommanderTuvok wrote:http://i.imgur.com/KemFN.jpg
She has a point. When two men disagree, it's standard discourse. When a man disagrees with a woman, it's misogyny.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

rayshul wrote:Did not mention it earlier Renee but sorry to hear about your situation. The waiting is killer for these things. :( My husband has a wee tumor problem hisself, but I've discovered I can keep his mind of it by saying things like, "Oh you should go do the dishes... it'll keep your mind of things... also I think the house needs cleaning..."
The waiting part is the ultimate bitch. They terrorize you with things then say "well, we have to wait a few weeks to schedule something to do an in-depth look but there's indications of lymphoma". I know that's not their intention but it sure as fuck feels like it.

My guy is coping much better than I, to be honest. Like I said, he's using "my cancer hurts" for many things but still does more than I would like 'round here. I told him this is his vacation and he should relax but being the person he is, he won't. He's already got a list longer than my arm of things he wants to do around the house.

And I feel like doing shit all.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

katamari Damassi wrote: Renee, tell him BJ's helped me get through my lymphoma, but I was giving not receiving them.
LOL! Perfect!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Darren wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:http://i.imgur.com/KemFN.jpg
She has a point. When two men disagree, it's standard discourse. When a man disagrees with a woman [other than a "chill girl" or "gender traitor"], it's misogyny.
Fixed that for you .... :-)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Wow. Greg Laden didn't dox Mykeru but rather his ex-wife's place of residence. What a lovely, wonderful human is Greg. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that guy????

Darren

Post by Darren »

Michael J wrote:That's what I meant by worried. I wouldnt be surprised if PZ is seeing a real drop in page views and I wonder if the invites to conferences are starting to drop off. I think that he is seeing other networks like skepticink as a real threat
When your google trends search interest chart looks like this, I'd be worried too:

http://i.imgur.com/Kz9tf.png

Reap

Post by Reap »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gumby wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Is there a way to delete or edit our own posts?
Nope. And that is intentional. We have to stand by our words here.
I get that, I just need to fix occasional screw ups. I'm working with an ancient mac that sometimes doesn't even show me what I'm typing. I start typing and that little fucking spinning color wheel comes up and I have to wait 30 seconds for the words I've typed to appear. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough, so I get fed up and hit submit before I've seen the whole thing. Using preview would probably add ten minutes to a post. And yes I'm planning to get a new computer. Probably a PC next time since the site of the spinning color wheel causes my blood pressure to soar and gives me barely controllable computer smashing fantasies.

give in to the smashing fantasies...its the only way things can be made right again

Reap

Post by Reap »

Darren wrote:
Michael J wrote:That's what I meant by worried. I wouldnt be surprised if PZ is seeing a real drop in page views and I wonder if the invites to conferences are starting to drop off. I think that he is seeing other networks like skepticink as a real threat
When your google trends search interest chart looks like this, I'd be worried too:

http://i.imgur.com/Kz9tf.png

Yea and take a look at this one
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/pzcanvas.png

That's with people talking shit about Myers. Think about when they get bored of ridiculing him. Glad PZ isn't running a company the employees would be looking for work elsewhere at this point

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Wow. Greg Laden didn't dox Mykeru but rather his ex-wife's place of residence. What a lovely, wonderful human is Greg. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that guy????
Yet another nuclear facepalm moment from Greggy-boy. Seriously, this berk can't even be photographed birdwatching without somehow managing to prat it up to an unprecendented degree:
You see, Greg, this why so many people see you as not just merely being unctuous and spiteful, but an utter fuckwit too. Why do you continually fail to understand that doxxing is not a good idea, because of the potential fallout that might hit parties who are not involved - such as friends and familiy? There really is a hell of a lot of bone under that sweaty pate of yours, isn't there.

Spence

Post by Spence »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Wow. Greg Laden didn't dox Mykeru but rather his ex-wife's place of residence. What a lovely, wonderful human is Greg. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that guy????
:o Really?

Good ol' Greg, protecting all the womyn in the way only he can. What a jerkwad.

Darren, that graph sure tells a story. Good find. Wake up and smell the coffee, PeeZus. And just so we're clear, that isn't an invitation for sex.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

We already know Laden is a train wreck who has made a shambles of his own life, and it is pretty clear his downward spiral is incomplete.

However, if anything Mykeru has said about his ex-wife is true, anyone who winds up visiting her with the mistaken impression that they are going to see Myker, is in for a rather "interesting" time.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Okay, guesses on how Stephalump will spin this. Even if there was any way to justify doxxing Mykeru - which of course there isn't - how can the FC(n) justify publicising the address of a woman who has never had anything to do with The Slimepit or scepticism? A woman who's safety was placed in hazard by the last doc-dropping arsehole who got into a row with Mykeru?

I've been wondering, off and on, how long the FC(n) would leave it before oozing Laden back onto the FTB gravy-train. I think he's just pissed on his parole application.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Renee said:
Greg Laden didn't dox Mykeru but rather his ex-wife's place of residence.

Is there a link, or screenshot, or some other evidence to verify that claim?

I am not defending Laden, I cannot stand the dumb fuck, but that seems a fairly serious charge.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

John Greg wrote:Renee said:

I am not defending Laden, I cannot stand the dumb fuck, but that seems a fairly serious charge.
I'm unable to grab it, but it's all on Mykeru's Twitter feed. This happened last night.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

John Brown wrote:
John Greg wrote:Renee said:

I'm unable to grab it, but it's all on Mykeru's Twitter feed. This happened last night.
It was on the 'pit a page back, not sure if it was screenshot.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Hey, Mykeru, get your ass back on The Slyme Pit and give us an update!

:popcorn:

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

WTF?

http://i.imgur.com/JrkG6.jpg

Turns out Skepchick's most popular source of traffic appears to be strange people looking for Princess Leia's hairstyle.

:laughing-lettersrofl:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote: ...
But part of my objections to at least some of feminism – third and fourth wave stuff mostly – is that it seems to a significant degree more interested in manufacturing controversy by spinning bizarre and totally evidence-free fantasies ["privilege", anyone?] than understanding the roots of various stereotypes and behaviour patterns. I wonder whether PZ is aware of that “philosophy” and its pernicious influence on feminism – probably not as he seems to have his head in the sand – or some other place where the sun don’t shine – when it comes to problematic consequences of the latter.
There were a lot of wrongs against women at one time. This link I think came from here http://listverse.com/2012/12/16/10-ways ... ver-women/ There is no question things were pretty grim with women being treated as chattel, and there are still major problems in 3rd world and religious countries. Need I mention Iran for example? Equity feminism has always been about righting the inequality of property rights and inequality of pay for equal work. Equity and sex positive feminists have also never seen eye to eye with radfems including separatist radfems. (The crazies that SN has talked about.) It appears to me that the patriarchy theory of radfem is an evolution of Marxist feminism with the conflation of class struggle with men taking the place of the upper ruling class. Hence we have the idea of equity feminism which seems sane enough to me with some branches actually cooperating with saner Mens Rights groups vs. the radfem controlled FtB and A+. This is exactly why Maria (Bluharmony) was bullied. It has always been a radfem vs. equity/sex positive feminist war, and in no way should the so-called atheist/sceptic movement be involved in the middle like this.

For me It is simply much easier now to take propositions one at a time and evaluate them on their own merit as a humanist first since I have seen both misandry and misogyny in action.
POMO can be a perfectly valid tool for analysing literary fiction as far as I can see but it has no application at all in the real world. I remember being very amused at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair. The Dawkins article was a forehead slapper alright. La la land.
Exactly; if there’s anything that deserves more the descriptor “jaw-dropping” then I’m not sure I – or my jaw – could handle it. Very similar in essence to religious fundamentalism with its wishful thinking; reminds me of an essay by P.B. Medawar who talked of “Philosophick Romances” in his The Art of the Soluble:
Indeed.

Darren

Post by Darren »

John Brown wrote:I'm unable to grab it, but it's all on Mykeru's Twitter feed. This happened last night.
From Laden's twitter, for posterity:

http://i.imgur.com/qJvyh.png

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

rayshul wrote:WHICH women? is my question after reading that Marnie post. Because it's sure not all of them.

It's just the fucking stupid women.

Did not mention it earlier Renee but sorry to hear about your situation. The waiting is killer for these things. :( My husband has a wee tumor problem hisself, but I've discovered I can keep his mind of it by saying things like, "Oh you should go do the dishes... it'll keep your mind of things... also I think the house needs cleaning..."
:lol:

(Happy thoughts to your husband too!)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Darren wrote:
John Brown wrote:I'm unable to grab it, but it's all on Mykeru's Twitter feed. This happened last night.

http://i.imgur.com/qJvyh.png
Isn't that a creationist or Muslim move to do? Didn't some crazed religious nutbars dox Thunderf00t for example?

So the question is. Is Greg Laden a creationist? He's sure behaving like one.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Laden is the biggest "cyberstalker" there is on either side of the "schism". But, it's funny that the Baboons simply seem to ignore him, especially prime wankstain Stephanie Svan.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Darren wrote:
Man, what a fucking douche. They may as well let him back in at FTB, because they obviously approve of his disgusting behavior. It's not like they're fooling anybody into thinking that because Laden doesn't have a blog there anymore, he's not still best buds with PZ, Becky and Stephalump.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Laden is the biggest "cyberstalker" there is on either side of the "schism". But, it's funny that the Baboons simply seem to ignore him, especially prime wankstain Stephanie Svan.
The only reason he was booted from FTB was because Justin Griffith forced their hand. If Justin hadn't gone public about Greg Laden's violent threats against him, Greg would still be there, because for all their squawking about bullying, stalking, threats and doxing and oh how terrifying it all is, it's 100% crystal clear they fully condone bullying, stalking threats and doxing. Laden's expulsion was a weak and transparent political move designed to make it look like they were consistent in their stance against the aforementioned sins. If they were truly consistent they would have dropped that putrid shitstain Laden like a hot potato from all aspects of their lives, but no, they've been continuing to rub shoulders with him since the day he was booted from FTB. Laden just doesn't have a blog there anymore, that's all. Nothing else has changed, he's still their dirty deeds go-to thug.

Of course, you know all this. Never hurts to repeat things for potential new lurkers though.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote:
Man, what a fucking douche. They may as well let him back in at FTB, because they obviously approve of his disgusting behavior. It's not like they're fooling anybody into thinking that because Laden doesn't have a blog there anymore, he's not still best buds with PZ, Becky and Stephalump.
This is, of course, easy for me to say since I'm not (yet) in any kind of direct confrontation with Baldy McBuffoon, but Laden doesn't really fit the profile of anyone who I'd consider a genuine threat.
Over time I've known a certain number of genuinely tough guys. They had a few common characteristics. One was that none of them bothered with telling you they'd kick your ass. They just went ahead and did it. Once someone starts with the whole posturing thing it usually induces a yawn from me.
He appears to be a reliable source of lulz. Chills, not so much.

John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote:
This is, of course, easy for me to say since I'm not (yet) in any kind of direct confrontation with Baldy McBuffoon, but Laden doesn't really fit the profile of anyone who I'd consider a genuine threat.
Over time I've known a certain number of genuinely tough guys. They had a few common characteristics. One was that none of them bothered with telling you they'd kick your ass. They just went ahead and did it. Once someone starts with the whole posturing thing it usually induces a yawn from me.
But, he doesn't have to be a personal threat. The implied threat is violence by proxy. It's laughable to think that Greg Laden would do anything but tremble and squeak were he to be in the same room as Mykeru. But, he doesn't have to. He just drops dox and then waits. If nothing happens..oh well. If something does happen, then he has the coward's way out.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
Steersman wrote:
PZ wrote:This could go a couple of ways; there could be dead silence as the anti-feminists wilt under pressure to honestly explain themselves,
And one of those ways is for some of the people who he’s banned for rather specious reasons, many of which were due to the criticisms of feminism that he now wants to hear, might check whether that is still the case – it is as I’ve just found out, at least in my case – and conclude that he is not being particularly honest himself to begin with. Try again PZ.
PZ is stooping to the same exact tactic that people like Duane Gish and William Lane Craig use. Badger opponents into a debate that can't possibly go in a rational fashion because they'll bend and twist and Gish-gallop... either that, or sneer at the people who refuse to fall for the sucker-bait and tell everyone "They won't debate me because they have nothing and they know it".

These are the EXACT reasons Richard Dawkins won't debate creationists. PZ eagerly jumped on the Dawkins bandwagon and agreed yeah, that's why he won't debate creationists either. So what does he do here? Trot out the same exact disingenuous "debate" that the creationists do. Oh PZ, how far you have fallen.
I am becoming less and less impressed with FfTB with every position they take on virtually anything for exactly those reasons. Kind of a shame, actually, since even the ring leaders have contributed, and still contribute periodically, in the “good fight” against religious fundamentalism – even if they’re exhibiting some of the same deplorable attributes.

But I have to wonder how far the rot has gone, for instance as suggested by Ophelia’s continued stirring of the pot – “double, double; toil and trouble” – in trying to pin the sexist label on Shermer. More specifically, PZ asserts that Shermer is going off the deep end – into a “truly delusional state” – by arguing that Benson is calling him a sexist:
Myers wrote:Go ahead and read the Butterflies & Wheels post that hurt Shermer’s feelings; nowhere does she accuse him of being a sexist. She does suggest that he seems oblivious to the fact that a bias favoring the authority of deeper voices is also going to be a bias against women, but it’s more an affirmation of his point that we have these unconscious prejudices.
Apart from the fact that – as Shermer noted with some asperity, exasperation, and sacrasm that PZ and company are generally too clueless to see – all he was doing was “reporting [on] Leonard’s reporting of the studies’ reporting of subjects’ reports”, his arguing that Benson wasn’t accusing Shermer of being a sexist has to take the cake for obtuseness if not outright hypocrisy. Consider precisely what Benson said that led to Shermer’s post and PZ’s subsequent bleating:
Benson wrote:Right…And you know what else, Dr Shermer? You know who usually doesn’t have the deepest and most resonant voice? Women. You know who usually doesn’t “look more competent”? Women. You know who has higherpitched voices that will be judged as more nervous and less truthful and empathetic than speakers with lower-pitched voices? Women. You know what pronoun appears in this sentence …. The male one.

Do you see what I’m getting at, Dr Shermer? I’m sure you do, now that I’ve pointed it out. But do you see its relevance to you, yourself? That I’m not so confident about. Probably because I’m a woman, and I have a higherpitched voice.
Now that can’t be a case of Benson trying to point out to Shermer that there are, mirabile dictu, physiological differences between men and women because, as she subsequently said, “Godalmighty. I am not that stupid”. So one has to dig a little, to read between the tangled lines she has woven which give some indication of being an exercise in deception, to infer what she was getting at. And while it is certainly not an explicit accusation of being a sexist, emphasizing something that is little more than a simple fact – some people (more men than women?) are kind of clueless and will allow a “resonant voice” to tip the balance [frequently giving a “false positive”, a Type I error] – with such pointed statements – “see what I’m getting at?”; “[you won’t,] probably because I’m a woman [with a high-pitched voice]” – has to qualify as something that falls very little short of such an accusation.

And her subsequent efforts to claim that that wasn’t tantamount to a direct accusation has to qualify as rather disingenuous at best and, probably more accurately, kind of fucking weaselly at worst. Really kind of a shame in many ways as she has done yeoman’s work in carrying the standard for women’s rights in the context of religious fundamentalism; too bad that she seems unable to see that feminist fundamentalism can be just as problematic.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

John Brown wrote:

But, he doesn't have to be a personal threat. The implied threat is violence by proxy. It's laughable to think that Greg Laden would do anything but tremble and squeak were he to be in the same room as Mykeru. But, he doesn't have to. He just drops dox and then waits. If nothing happens..oh well. If something does happen, then he has the coward's way out.[/quote]

Proxy by whom? The Stephalump? If she stepped on your foot you'd likely be looking at an amputation but that's about the extent of the threat. This is just another special deluxe feature of the A+ Clown Car.
Again, easy for me to say but, mock and move on.

franc

Post by franc »

comslave wrote:I feel so left out. I can't come up with a year end top baboon list because I abandoned FTB when they booted Thunderf00t. I won't contribute to their ad revenue. I prefer to starve the beast. If it weren't for the lulz provided by the slymepit, I wouldn't have any clue as to what those idiots were up to now.
Not much into lists, but you have to scrape pretty deep in the septic tank to top Adam Lee/Daylight Atheism for this years most obsequious toilet licker. He out oolons oolon for sheer approval seeking toadying.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote:
Oh, Laden is no threat. He's a creepy keyboard commando who likes to play tough guy on his computer, but he's just a pathetic, ineffectual weirdo. However, that does not make what he does any less morally reprehensible.

BTW, welcome!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote:
Oh, Laden is no threat. He's a creepy keyboard commando who likes to play tough guy on his computer, but he's just a pathetic, ineffectual weirdo. However, that does not make what he does any less morally reprehensible.

BTW, welcome!

franc

Post by franc »

real horrorshow wrote:
Okay, guesses on how Stephalump will spin this. Even if there was any way to justify doxxing Mykeru - which of course there isn't - how can the FC(n) justify publicising the address of a woman who has never had anything to do with The Slimepit or scepticism?
How can they justify doing this to dead people and old age pensioners? Silly, they don't need to justify anything. It's all spectacle for the masses. A head on a stake. Any head will do, and if it's the wrong one, it's acceptable collateral damage for the greater good.

With a bit of luck, sooner or later they'll scatter shot a bored, cashed up, retired lawyer that's in a bitchy mood. One can hope.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Steersman wrote: Now that can’t be a case of Benson trying to point out to Shermer that there are, mirabile dictu, physiological differences between men and women because, as she subsequently said, “Godalmighty. I am not that stupid”. So one has to dig a little, to read between the tangled lines she has woven which give some indication of being an exercise in deception, to infer what she was getting at. And while it is certainly not an explicit accusation of being a sexist, emphasizing something that is little more than a simple fact – some people (more men than women?) are kind of clueless and will allow a “resonant voice” to tip the balance [frequently giving a “false positive”, a Type I error] – with such pointed statements – “see what I’m getting at?”; “[you won’t,] probably because I’m a woman [with a high-pitched voice]” – has to qualify as something that falls very little short of such an accusation.

And her subsequent efforts to claim that that wasn’t tantamount to a direct accusation has to qualify as rather disingenuous at best and, probably more accurately, kind of fucking weaselly at worst. Really kind of a shame in many ways as she has done yeoman’s work in carrying the standard for women’s rights in the context of religious fundamentalism; too bad that she seems unable to see that feminist fundamentalism can be just as problematic.
Right, because the word "sexist" wasn't explicitly used, they obviously aren't trying to pin the sexist label on Shermer. Haha, OK Ophie and PZ. Someone should remind them that on racist sites like Stormfront, the word "nigger" is very rarely used. That's because the scumbag racists like to dress their hatred up in pseudo-intellectual euphemism, innuendo and metaphor, just like PZ and Ophelia with Shermer. But they fool no one.

In the past I've had a lot of online conversations, debates and arguments with the most hardcore of Christian fundamentalists. One of the many, many traits PZ and his gang have in common with these people is their absolute refusal to admit that they are wrong in even the most trivial of instances. They will deny their mistakes at all costs, even if it means trading the teaspoon with which they're digging their rhetorical graves for a backhoe.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Baldy McBuffoon? I like it!

franc

Post by franc »

Gumby wrote:In the past I've had a lot of online conversations, debates and arguments with the most hardcore of Christian fundamentalists. One of the many, many traits PZ and his gang have in common with these people is their absolute refusal to admit that they are wrong in even the most trivial of instances.
The other that I've been saying for a while is their love of the concept of infinite punishment for finite transgression. It's so old testament.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
Steersman wrote: ...
But part of my objections to at least some of feminism – third and fourth wave stuff mostly – is that it seems to a significant degree more interested in manufacturing controversy by spinning bizarre and totally evidence-free fantasies ["privilege", anyone?] than understanding the roots of various stereotypes and behaviour patterns. I wonder whether PZ is aware of that “philosophy” and its pernicious influence on feminism – probably not as he seems to have his head in the sand – or some other place where the sun don’t shine – when it comes to problematic consequences of the latter.
There were a lot of wrongs against women at one time. This link I think came from here http://listverse.com/2012/12/16/10-ways ... ver-women/ There is no question things were pretty grim with women being treated as chattel, and there are still major problems in 3rd world and religious countries.
You won’t get any argument at all from me on that score.

You probably know of the Canadian suffragette, Nellie McClung, who was instrumental in first getting women declared as persons – so that they could become Senators in Parliament which was then probably the proverbial thin-edge-of-the-wedge, and then in getting the vote. But she wrote a number of books, one of which – The Stream Runs Fast; highly recommended – I’ve read, and in which she describes a number of her experiences and observations about women in Canadian society at the time – late 1800s to early 1900s. Really some stomach-churning descriptions of what women in general had to put up with – and of some really rather gutsy women who withstood that type of treatment and who still fought to rectify those rather egregious depredations.

But one thing in particular, of more than a few, which stood out in that book was her assertion that “no nation rises higher than its women”. Not a particularly difficult concept to wrap one’s head around, although when I was arguing the point on A Voice for Men a few of the more bone-headed MRAs there seemed to have some difficulty with it and its consequences, and the benefits of equality for all of society. And something that most Muslim societies still haven’t recognized much less addressed – I remember running across a report from the UN – don’t have the link at the moment – that argued that point, that a very large determinant in the rather deplorable economic and social circumstances in those countries was due to the failure, largely religiously based, to allow women an equal share and role in those countries’ affairs.
For me it is simply much easier now to take propositions one at a time and evaluate them on their own merit as a humanist first since I have seen both misandry and misogyny in action.
Agreed. “Four legs good; two legs bad” type dogma tends to be the very antithesis of thinking – and of skepticism. Reminds me of something from Bertrand Russell:
Russell wrote:We all have a tendency to think that the world must conform to our prejudices [our dogmas, our unexamined assumptions]. The opposite view involves some effort of thought, and most people would die sooner than think — in fact they do so.

Mykeru

Regarding Greggy Pooh

Post by Mykeru »

First, let me assure you that Greg Laden is no keyboard commando. Based on his doxing he basically found some links to the results of a doxing that was done to me in 2005.

For the record, although Ben Burch was part of that doxing, that's all water under the bridge. Ben and I have messaged each other through the JREF forum and he has shared no information with Laden. As I said this is all old stuff.

My ex wife is not there seven years after the divorce. That would be impossible. However, Laden wouldn't know that. Not being a stalkerati and with our having moved on with our lives I have no idea where she is and what she is doing. It's none of my business, but knowing her she no doubt has a nicer condo with the money she makes working for a K St Law Firm.

But I find it interesting that in that 2005 doxing the button that they pushed was things of the "your wife would be easy to spot" variety and Greg Laden, being a plodding, unoriginal twat, thought he could still push those buttons.

I'm bothered by the thought of having to warn her about some asshole plagiarizing the doxing from the time of our marriage.

However, someone is living there. Maybe another woman, maybe another family. And Greg Laden has put that address out there because his head is jammed too far up his ass to think these things through.

So when I get back to the area, I will have to tell whoever is living there that a known nutbag and stalker has put their place of residence out there like bait for nuts. To that end I will be gathering as much useful information on Greg Laden so the people he potentially harms can decide what action they will take.

Now, I know Laden's next step will be some employer harassment. Good luck with that. Greg Laden and his ilk have nothing I fear.

I have already pointed this out in other cases, but it bears repeating. Greg Laden can do nothing to me. He's just a half-bright non-entity getting his jollies pretending that he has real power so as to delude himself into not acknowledging he is universally despised.

However, should Greg Laden find my ex wife to harass, or bother any member of my family, as seems to be his MO, then he and I are going to have a serious disagreement.

The problem is, I still can take the guy seriously. He's just a heavy-handed, tone-deaf wanna-be.

However, just because I like nothing better than a good old fashion pissing match doesn't mean this creepy fucker won't have a chilling effect on others that he achieves despite his own incompetence.

I think it would be wise to compile and post on my site a definitive collection of information on Greg Laden, his vitals, his history of doxing and harassment and some of his juicier brain farts that can be referenced to send to the next inevitable target of his same old shit.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Gumby wrote:Oh, Laden is no threat. He's a creepy keyboard commando who likes to play tough guy on his computer, but he's just a pathetic, ineffectual weirdo. However, that does not make what he does any less morally reprehensible.
Laden has tweeted a link to a sad little "Public response to an unsolicited and rather distasteful email I received" in which he says Mykeru's info came from a mutual friend (Mr Google?) and makes threats to post further details about his prior stalking of Abbie if people keep accusing him of "stalking a woman in real life".

welch

Post by welch »

You don't have that much free time.

The thing is, Doxxing is only effective if your target fears you. Shit, I have the tree in my back yard on foursquare. Melissa and i trade mayorships back and forth, because we like silly useless stuff like that.

Let laden show up at my house. I'd not have to do a thing. I'd just let melissa have at him. He'd be begging for me to pipe him by the time she was done.

real horrorshow

franc wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Okay, guesses on how Stephalump will spin this. Even if there was any way to justify doxxing Mykeru - which of course there isn't - how can the FC(n) justify publicising the address of a woman who has never had anything to do with The Slimepit or scepticism?
How can they justify doing this to dead people and old age pensioners? Silly, they don't need to justify anything. It's all spectacle for the masses. A head on a stake. Any head will do, and if it's the wrong one, it's acceptable collateral damage for the greater good.

With a bit of luck, sooner or later they'll scatter shot a bored, cashed up, retired lawyer that's in a bitchy mood. One can hope.
Well, just out of curiosity I did a bit of Google-fu of my own, and now I know where Greg Laden lives! You'll be wounded to know it's not a trailer, though it doesn't look great from outside, it was built in 1913.

Since there's an appartment for rent there, I was able to look at some interior views, and it's much nicer inside. The place was remodelled in 2010. There are even floor plans on some websites. I could find my way around the place in the dark! The names of the nearest coffee shops and supermarkets. Oh, and the nearest school. It's all there.

However, if you're reading Greg, I'm not going to release this information. I don't need to. Anyone you dox can look it all up as easily as I did.

Punker

Post by Punker »

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
Darren wrote:
Zvain specifically posted in support of his threat against Justin G. So she's clearly down with whatever he does, that's established.

The only reason he stays gone is political. They can point to him and say "See? When someone does something bad, we take immediate and permanent action."

The second he's more useful to them as part of the network, he'll be back. My guess would be after a prolonged slump in ad revenue. Bringing him back would jack the traffic through the roof.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

A link to a Google+ page where Laden seems to be laying on the threats, specifically against Abbie.

https://plus.google.com/109027288459519 ... CTCuvp3w7g

He's actually trying to suggest he isn't a stalker! Greg, you're a wankstain.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Skep tickle wrote:
Gumby wrote:Oh, Laden is no threat. He's a creepy keyboard commando who likes to play tough guy on his computer, but he's just a pathetic, ineffectual weirdo. However, that does not make what he does any less morally reprehensible.
Laden has tweeted a link to a sad little "Public response to an unsolicited and rather distasteful email I received" in which he says Mykeru's info came from a mutual friend (Mr Google?) and makes threats to post further details about his prior stalking of Abbie if people keep accusing him of "stalking a woman in real life".

Nah. It was all Google and Internet archive. There are maybe a half dozen people who might remember the internet stone age doxing in 2005. One of them is Ben Burch, and I believe Ben when he says he didn't share info with Laden. For all the past flaming, Ben in a member in good standing in the JREF forum and apparently has no great admiration for Rebecca Watson and her proxies.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

welch wrote:Zvain specifically posted in support of his threat against Justin G. So she's clearly down with whatever he does, that's established.

The only reason he stays gone is political. They can point to him and say "See? When someone does something bad, we take immediate and permanent action."

The second he's more useful to them as part of the network, he'll be back. My guess would be after a prolonged slump in ad revenue. Bringing him back would jack the traffic through the roof.
I'm actually glad Laden is still up to his games because he is an increasingly toxic individual who is contaminating his fellow Baboons. The more Laden cranks up the stalking, the doxxing, and the threats, the more ridiculous their pseudo Social Justice Warrior movement will appear.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:

Greg's a pip. He tried to play...fuck, I dunno what, by asking me if I got the job I was talking to folks about when he accused me of Dos'ing his site.

The great part...while he's painting me as a loser hacker, I'm talking to this outfit in LA, awesome bunch of folks. Great in every respect. Put me up in two hotels, one a half-block from the santa monica pier, the other, the Standard in Downtown LA, with the biggest fucking bathtub i've ever seen that wasn't a whirlpool. Gave me a mini to drive around, convertible S, natch. They pitch woo well

I turned the offer down, because honestly, it was a kind of work I'd done, and I was done with. The money was good, not great for the travel, but really, it was just...well, their business model would require me to be a traveling server monkey, and while the travel part was great, (kid's in college, w00t!), the server monkey part wasn't. I've been slowly working to getting out of that.

That's not a knock against the company, they're a really great consulting firm, they do a lot of work in the community, and clearly, they have a great model for them. But it would have sucked for me, and rather than take a job I knew i'd hate in a month, I turned it down then. I'd rather be honest early than later, it always causes fewer problems. I'm still happy with that decision, and the friends I have in the company are still friends.

I may see them this year when I use my free weekend in one of the nicer palm springs resorts. (Free gift from current employer.)

I know bragging is wrong, but when Melissa and I are on the patio of our suite, I may take a nice, hi-res picture of the view and make sure Laden has the link. Maybe he can put it up in his trailer, as a motivation to get off the fucking dole.

Or, he can just blame everyone but himself for his problems, and cry at how unfair it is that I reap the rewards of two decades of hard work. I shan't care a fucking bit either way.

(yeah, I'm a dick. :-P)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

CommanderTuvok wrote:A link to a Google+ page where Laden seems to be laying on the threats, specifically against Abbie.

Yeah, that's the one. Here are the comments:
http://i.imgur.com/mKaiF.png

120 hate tweets in the past 24 hrs, Greg? Would those be the invisible kind? A search for "@gregladen" at Twitter brings up 3 tweets from Myekru (2 from their exchange about Laden's doxxing), a few from people who seem to agree with him on various things, and 1 or 2 from people who don't appear to agree from him. There's nowhere near 120 tweets directed to him, that I see. (Caveat that I don't use twitter, may not know all the ins & outs of finding everything.)

The most "egregious" one that I see; the avatar shows female face, for whatever that's worth:
AmbrosiaX ‏@AmbrosiaX

. @gregladen Talking to women (and buying jewelry) doesn't make you a feminist or feminist in training. Start w/ apologizing to Abbie Smith
Ooooh, the "hate". It burns, doesn't it Greg? Because, ovaries. Including yours.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

welch

Post by welch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:A link to a Google+ page where Laden seems to be laying on the threats, specifically against Abbie.

If he thought the details of his actions against Abbie would show him in such a good light, he'd have released them ten seconds after the accusations of stalking started.

real horrorshow

Skep tickle wrote:

If that accusation continues, I'll post the details of that series of events you mislabel as stalking. Abbie will not be happy with that. She acted in an unbelievably unprofessional manner which truly brought into question her fitness as a member of the academic community.
Umm, her department clearly didn't think so.
I have not posted those details because I know they will hurt her.
"Y'know what yegg? I believe ya."
But, I also know that you and your buddies take your marching orders from her. If you really are her friends and defenders, you might check with her to see if she wants that to happen. Then, as per usual, follow her orders.
It's amazing how many things the likes of Laden and PeeZed know about the Slimepit that I don't know. I feel quite left out sometimes. Where are my super-secret Abbie-orders eh?

Oh, and Mykeru, if you want to save the trouble of looking up Laden's address, I'll send it to you.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Gah. "agree with him" means with Laden. Should be "don't appear to agree with him" (not from him). Whatever.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

On Opheliar's latest thread, about the Daily Mail's article on Dawkins, Ophelia has to tell one of her posters off for referring to Dawkins with a gendered epithet.

The gendered epithet in question? Why, "DICK", of course!

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The main problem with locating Greg Laden's address via online search is that bin Laden's address keeps popping up instead.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

real horrorshow wrote: Oh, and Mykeru, if you want to save the trouble of looking up Laden's address, I'll send it to you.
Please. I'm sure they have FTD Florists in his area.

Oh, I just realized: Laden didn't even have the condo number right in his doxxing. His incompetence is truly bottomless.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

How do people like the new tagline?

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:How do people like the new tagline?
The "fucking" ruins the flow. "Greg Laden is a doxxing wankstain" trips off the tongue better.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I love the new tagline.

BTW, does anyone else sense Laden is about to go postal? I'm relieved to hear he hates guns, for I wouldn't like to be around him if he had one.

Punker

Post by Punker »

A horse named Black Caviar has just won an award for Australian Sportswoman of the Year. There has been a mixed reaction to this news. :popcorn: