Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
KiwiInOz

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by KiwiInOz »

Hmm. Looks to see the moral difference between a joke about a recent mass murder and a joke about rape.

Nope.

Can't find it.

sacha

Wiseman

Post by sacha »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Maybe it's just my privilege lenses. :geek:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh fuck.

Now Ophelia's accusing Franc Hoggle of urging Amy to set herself on fire. http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -amy-said/

:shock:

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Hmm. Looks to see the moral difference between a joke about a recent mass murder and a joke about rape.

Nope.

Can't find it.
One of the victims actually survived another shooting weeks earlier where I live, only to end up murdered in Colorado. Let's all laugh at that because it's hilarious. "Cover me, boys!" Ha ha ha, murder.

Miserable fucking whore.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ah, I see what the tweeter did there. Fuckin Hell, that's clever.

Note to any lurking Pharyngulites: no, you cannot condemn this without being a hypocrite.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Sick as i am i wouldnt find jokes about murder unfunny, its just pz's attempt is fucking lame, fuck sake man if tu're going to joke about people getting wiped out, at least be good at it. Couple that with his blatant hypocracy and hes just another thick twat who got his jollys off bashing religious clowns.

Maybe my dark humour about death and rape and the bad shit that reveals humanity as primitive half tamed wildlings comes from the fact that i was based in somalia for two years and saw shit that would make pz and his fuckwits burst into rage tears.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

The Worst Guy wrote:Wait, did I read that correctly? Did Mr. Myers actually suggest that free speech advocates must surrender their right to privacy in order for their advocacy to be taken seriously? The buffoonery, it's limitless.
It would appear so. I swear, I read his blog for half a decade without him really dropping the ball once, and now he can't keep hold of it for shit.

In fact, he seems so loopy now, I'm wondering if it is possibly a side-effect of the heart meds he's on? Can those sort of meds do that?! :?:

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

Za-zen wrote:Sick as i am i wouldnt find jokes about murder unfunny, its just pz's attempt is fucking lame, fuck sake man if tu're going to joke about people getting wiped out, at least be good at it. Couple that with his blatant hypocracy and hes just another thick twat who got his jollys off bashing religious clowns.

Maybe my dark humour about death and rape and the bad shit that reveals humanity as primitive half tamed wildlings comes from the fact that i was based in somalia for two years and saw shit that would make pz and his fuckwits burst into rage tears.
I have no problem with anyone making jokes about anything. It's the hypocrisy that sickens me.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Za-zen wrote:Sick as i am i wouldnt find jokes about murder unfunny, its just pz's attempt is fucking lame, fuck sake man if tu're going to joke about people getting wiped out, at least be good at it. Couple that with his blatant hypocracy and hes just another thick twat who got his jollys off bashing religious clowns.

As you say, it's dark humour and it has its place, but when it's done by a puritannical cretin who slams others for making rape jokes - when rape is a far lesser crime than murder - it just makes you want to slap his fat, hypocritical little face.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Worst guy, you condensed what i said in two paragraphs into one sentence? Are you fucking occam or what?

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Oh noes. Next thing you know, she'll be on one of those Skepchick calenders and complaining about being objectified.
Why am I reminded of that scene with the baby from Trainspotting?

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

Za-zen wrote:Worst guy, you condensed what i said in two paragraphs into one sentence? Are you fucking occam or what?
I was just agreein'.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Za-zen wrote:Worst guy, you condensed what i said in two paragraphs into one sentence? Are you fucking occam or what?
What does it matter who he's fucking?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I proposed something quite reasonable to Ophelia on her newest thread:

http://i.imgur.com/3cSxw.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Hope you obtained consent, otherwise you'd be Occam's raper. :D

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Ophelia Benson says:
July 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Yes, so am I.

But now, like Amy, I wish more people in leadership positions would do something. I wish we had allies besides fellow bloggers.
Are they so far deep into their bubble that they can't see no one in their right mind would get within spitting distance of them?

I think there is a reason "people in leadership positions" aren't knocking on your door. Fucking poison.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Soren

Relative harm/crime is one hell of a debate, and seriously interesting. Hugely complex and can be a rabbit hole. I Currently hold the position that murder is the worst crime a person can commit (though i am open to be convinced otherwise, and it is dependant upon the definition of murder used).

Ahhhh tigzy you stole my punchline! Lol

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

justinvacula wrote:I proposed something quite reasonable to Ophelia on her newest thread:
You realise that you will be accused of trolling while being reasonable, don't you? That is a serious internet crime and you will probably be subject to bamnation, or something.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Worstguy

My point is, i approve, stay zen, and don't say in five what you can say in one. 8-)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Za-zen wrote:Worstguy

My point is, i approve, stay zen, and don't say in five what you can say in one. 8-)
Unless you are getting paid by the word.

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

Za-zen, I stay cool, and dig all jive.That's the way I stay alive. My motto, as I live and learn, is dig and be dug in return.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Thanks everyone for making my day all the more interesting and humourous.

I'm really serious about my message to Ophelia, though. I'm in a position of leadership in the atheist movement and will be one of the first to rebuke a real threat as I have been the recipient of very real threats. It's not something to be tolerated.

On the other hand, comments suggesting that Amy light herself on fire -- along with other comments made on the internet that Ophelia and 'Surly Amy' have been bringing up -- aren't very real threats.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

KiwiInOz wrote:
justinvacula wrote:I proposed something quite reasonable to Ophelia on her newest thread:
You realise that you will be accused of trolling while being reasonable, don't you? That is a serious internet crime and you will probably be subject to bamnation, or something.
Well, I've been banned over at the 'Lousy Canuck' and Stephanie Zvan shows, so she might as well. According to the often spoken reasoning over there, if you've been banned one one place, you should be banned on others. I would love to be banned at Ophelia's place, actually, for actually responding to her post and making a reasonable suggestion. I, as a person of leadership in the atheist movement, will rebuke real threats and stand with the recipients. If I get banned for that, she'll look really bad...but it probably doesn't matter, anyway, to her commenters...

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
The Worst Guy wrote:Wait, did I read that correctly? Did Mr. Myers actually suggest that free speech advocates must surrender their right to privacy in order for their advocacy to be taken seriously? The buffoonery, it's limitless.
It would appear so. I swear, I read his blog for half a decade without him really dropping the ball once, and now he can't keep hold of it for shit.

In fact, he seems so loopy now, I'm wondering if it is possibly a side-effect of the heart meds he's on? Can those sort of meds do that?! :?:
I already alluded to that some posts back. ; - ) viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&p=2776&hilit=heart#p2776

Of course, not being a medical doctor or even a trained biologist, I would never diagnose anyone's mental health due to a heart problem.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

While waiting for my registration to be approved, I keep refreshing the Rationalia thread. I like this comment
If there is someone on your side who doesn't have all the pretensions of a freshman undergrad without any of the benefit of graduating high school, could you please send him or her over?
via PordFrefect

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

What?? So in her efforts to create a more welcoming atmosphere, Ophelia singles out one post by this Sally who disagrees with her, and proceeds to offer her email addy for all and sundry: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-229789

Oh, and Ophelia suspects Sally of being a Hoggle too. :roll:

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

No dice.

http://i.imgur.com/JZViQ.jpg

...and now I am on moderation

http://i.imgur.com/7wcuZ.jpg

Is Ophelia for real? Is her post not genuine or something?

The Worst Guy

Post by The Worst Guy »

justinvacula wrote:No dice.

http://i.imgur.com/JZViQ.jpg

...and now I am on moderation

http://i.imgur.com/7wcuZ.jpg

Is Ophelia for real? Is her post not genuine or something?
She doesn't negotiate with terrorists!

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Tigzy wrote:What?? So in her efforts to create a more welcoming atmosphere, Ophelia singles out one post by this Sally who disagrees with her, and proceeds to offer her email addy for all and sundry: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-229789

*rolls eyes* someone does not know how to read e-mail headers.

Post by Guest »

Tis Himself says:
July 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm
Some years ago, at a convention of the American Economic Association, an economist wore a button that was essentially a sneer at another economist. The convention organizers asked this man to remove the pin. He refused. He was shown the door and told not to come back until he learned how to play nice with the other people.

There was some discussion of this in the letter columns of various professional journals. Most of the letters supported the AEA’s action.
A few years later we caused a global recession, good times.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Kiwi or you could post stupid fucking vids of your cats, or pot that more resemble fucking tweets. "hey at cafe del u guys try the soyadecaflatte sprinkle its freetrade savin the world 1 latte @ a time"

Or you could just release a book that you got everyone else to fucking write for you by sending in their comments to your fucking blog, which you then print with a forward and a conclusion.

The rest of the time you post shit about how you're to busy to post, so you can read what everyone else posts and then do a reformat copy paste ultimate summary. Hey sheeple buy this shit, it's just church repackaged. Instead of cat vids i'll post an educational one

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Nope.

Can't find it.
See, you just don't understand nuance.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

From the rationalia thread:
A Hermit wrote:

Wumbologist wrote:Pappa made a joke in poor taste that could be genuinely hurtful to victims of rape. Either we understand that it was a joke made in poor taste and move on, or we refuse to accept that and make a really big issue out of it.

PZ Meyers made a joke in poor taste that could be genuinely hurtful to victims/families of victims in the Aurora, CO shooting. Either we understand that it was a joke made in poor taste and move on, or we refuse to accept that and make a really big issue out of it.

Both deserve the same sort of reaction. If you are treating the two differently, you are a hypocrite or you believe that victims of violent crime are less important than victims of rape.

PZ's joke was tasteless, sure. The difference is it wasn't directed at the victims (though it was certainly insensitive), it wasn't in the form of advocating or defending the violence or intended mock or humiliate anyone. So, no I don't think they are equivalent. Nice try though.

But even if they were this is just a "tu coque" argument. Doesn't really address the issue here does it?
The sure do like their tu coques...or is that just one person that does....?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:What?? So in her efforts to create a more welcoming atmosphere, Ophelia singles out one post by this Sally who disagrees with her, and proceeds to offer her email addy for all and sundry: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-229789

Of course Sally is Hoggle. I'm Hoggle. Every single person on this board is Hoggle.

[youtube]_f_p0CgPeyA[/youtube]

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

Heheh. Mind-reading, sport of kings
Animavore wrote:
A Hermit wrote:No, the conclusion is that Pappa thought using violent, threatening rape imagery to attack a group of women was funny. That's more than just being "bad at jokes." I think it tells us something about him.
I think your over-protectiveness of women says something about you.
So tell me; which of the ladies here do you fantasise about calling you "Daddy"?

sacha

It's the very pit of hell... but I've never actually looked

Post by sacha »

O'Feelya: "Every day my stats show tens or even hundreds of hits from the hoggle gang, collecting stuff to translate into whatever shit they’re talking about me now. (No don’t tell me; I don’t want to know. I’ve never gone to that little outpost of hell and never will.)"
such a true sceptic, well done.

Tigzy wrote:Oh fuck.

Now Ophelia's accusing Franc Hoggle of urging Amy to set herself on fire. http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -amy-said/

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Skeeve wrote:From the rationalia thread:
A Hermit wrote:

Wumbologist wrote:Pappa made a joke in poor taste that could be genuinely hurtful to victims of rape. Either we understand that it was a joke made in poor taste and move on, or we refuse to accept that and make a really big issue out of it.

PZ Meyers made a joke in poor taste that could be genuinely hurtful to victims/families of victims in the Aurora, CO shooting. Either we understand that it was a joke made in poor taste and move on, or we refuse to accept that and make a really big issue out of it.

Both deserve the same sort of reaction. If you are treating the two differently, you are a hypocrite or you believe that victims of violent crime are less important than victims of rape.

PZ's joke was tasteless, sure. The difference is it wasn't directed at the victims (though it was certainly insensitive), it wasn't in the form of advocating or defending the violence or intended mock or humiliate anyone. So, no I don't think they are equivalent. Nice try though.

But even if they were this is just a "tu coque" argument. Doesn't really address the issue here does it?
Is a "tu coques" anything like a "per say" ? Enquiring minds want to know.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dilurk wrote:
A Hermit wrote:

Well, you start with two men.... :shock:

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Badger3k wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
A Hermit wrote:

Well, you start with two men.... :shock:
And you end up with ad "homomen" ?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

i'M HOGGLE!

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Might be getting good at rationalia....PZ just logged in.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Is it wrong that every single solitary bloody time I see them use that phrase, the only thing I can think about is two enormous penises with French accents and berets...?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Sally Ride, first American woman in space, dead at 61.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/sally- ... ?hpt=hp_c1

Says President Obama:
She inspired generations of young girls to reach for the stars and later fought tirelessly to help them get there by advocating for a greater focus on science and math in our schools.
Meanwhile, the Skepchicks cry about T-shirts and drag women down by infantilizing them.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

SenorBeagle wrote:

Is it wrong that every single solitary bloody time I see them use that phrase, the only thing I can think about is two enormous penises with French accents and berets...?
It would help if they spelled it correctly too tu quoque

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skeeve wrote:Might be getting good at rationalia....PZ just logged in.
I'm exhausted. I should be sleeping. But...

/popcorn

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote: Is there more than one "Cain/Caine" at Pharyngula? If so, sorry, Andrew, I assumed you were referring to this odious specimen.
To the best of my knowledge it is the said same. I suppose I could go back to the NatGeo site where said confessions were made, and see if the comments are back up or not.

As for proof of which server Kaine had enough admin rights to create a dir containing his comments on pharyngula ... sorry not telling anyone anything, not the server os, the name of the site or how to get around the dns redirect.

All I will confirm was that it was on a porn site, and there was nothing special about the porn.

There is no point in looking either, Google did a cache refresh around 25 days later, and by now all engines have also (I checked) so I assume that the robots.txt got updated.

Kane is safe for now, and there is a reason for my using the alternate spelling, although using "Cain" could have triggered a google stalker (if he had one set up) so sometimes I am not as smart as I want to be.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Dilurk wrote:
SenorBeagle wrote:

It would help if they spelled it correctly too tu quoque
It would, but the thing I'm imagining is the huge penis-sausage from the last series of Mock the Week...

[youtube]gvzHVwkVcvA[/youtube]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

So, I go on Ophelia's thread offering to stand in solidarity with any atheist who is the recipient of a real threat...and I get ridiculed by none other than PZ Myers who asserts that I am not a leader in the atheist movement.

http://i.imgur.com/cbKBy.jpg

My comment, on moderation, is
Let me get this straight…

I come forth, willing to rebuke threats made against fellow atheists and I get ridiculed by none other than PZ Myers who questions my role of leadership in the atheist movement.

Do you forget, PZ, about writing blog posts concerning my church/state activism and receiving legal threats by a local chiropractor?

Apparently my position of leadership in my local community secular group, my speaking engagements at conventions, appearances on TV shows, newspaper interviews I have participated in, my podcast appearances and hosting a podcast, my church/state activism, my being named in lawsuits by national organizations, my protesting, my attempts to start SSA groups, and finally the real-honest-to-God threats I have received for being an out atheist while being a student at a Catholic college mean nothing to you?

All hail great leader PZ, I am not worthy of being considered a leader in the atheist movement!

Badger3k

Re: It's the very pit of hell... but I've never actually loo

Post by Badger3k »

sacha wrote:
O'Feelya: "Every day my stats show tens or even hundreds of hits from the hoggle gang, collecting stuff to translate into whatever shit they’re talking about me now. (No don’t tell me; I don’t want to know. I’ve never gone to that little outpost of hell and never will.)"
such a true sceptic, well done.

Tigzy wrote:Oh fuck.

She's completely paranoid. I'm not even beginning to wonder, I do believe, she needs to seek professional help. I'm sure she see's Justin's offer as a trap of some sort, but, she's smarter than that. Yep.

As for being a skeptic, has she ever tried to claim the title? I hope not. She's as much a skeptic as PZ, which is to say, not much of one at all. I'm not sure of the rest, but I mostly do this as a lark. Something to pass the time. And it's a way of speaking out, albeit to a small community, about a group of wankers who offend a lot of people.

It's like the Rationalia biz - someone was googling for something to be offended and/or victimized by, and off they went. Ophelia and the skepchicks would be nothing if they weren't victims, so they'll see their pet antipathy everywhere. When your life is victimhood, and your livelihood is the same, you need it. If they can't find it, they'll manufacture it. I can't even speculate on what it might be to be either (a) a professional full time victim or (b) so cynical that pretending to be a victim is a full-time occupation.

I saw the list of Skepchicks that "A Hermit" posted - no wonder they are so fucked up. I can have sympathy for what they've been through, but that still doesn't give them the right to dictate their every whim to others. I had a student (teenager, mind) who had been raped and almost killed some years before. She was a damn sight better adjusted than these permavictims. She was getting on with her life and wasn't going to let her life be ruled by her rape and assault. I've known several students like that. These women (or young women if you want) are the kind of women that the Skepchicks would hate.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:

/popcorn
Oh. He's fucked off. :cry:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dilurk wrote:Is a "tu coques" anything like a "per say" ? Enquiring minds want to know.
I thought that it was a double serving of chicken, like you have with whine.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

What a surprise, PeeZus bottled it, and logged out of Rationalia, where he wouldn't have the full support of his swarm. :lol:

What a reprehensible little coward that man is.

tachikoma

Post by tachikoma »

SenorBeagle wrote:

Somebody on the jref thread suggested this video be screened at the beginning of every TAM. (Relevance around 1:06)

blameless

Post by blameless »

If PZ thinks he's a leader maybe he should try posting the very mildest criticism of feminism he can of, just as an experiment.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: It's the very pit of hell... but I've never actually loo

Post by Tigzy »

Badger3k wrote: I saw the list of Skepchicks that "A Hermit" posted - no wonder they are so fucked up. I can have sympathy for what they've been through, but that still doesn't give them the right to dictate their every whim to others. I had a student (teenager, mind) who had been raped and almost killed some years before. She was a damn sight better adjusted than these permavictims. She was getting on with her life and wasn't going to let her life be ruled by her rape and assault. I've known several students like that. These women (or young women if you want) are the kind of women that the Skepchicks would hate.
FfTBs trophy rape victims. Very useful to wheel out in any discussion involving misogyny, skeptchicks and jokes. Establishes the fact that any dissenter is a heartless pig in the first place for not thinking of the triggering effect their dissent might have on FfTBs trophy rape victims.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

tachikoma wrote:
SenorBeagle wrote:

Somebody on the jref thread suggested this video be screened at the beginning of every TAM. (Relevance around 1:06)
Wow. That's some serious Sunset Beach level acting, there.

Annnnnnnnnnnd I just got to 1:02, and now I have to worry about people offering me oil... :P

Yeah, that dialogue just popped, it did. The galling thing is, some fucker got paid to write that shite!

I'm in the wrong racket, clearly...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Justin pz is the ego of all egos didn't you know now that hes a celeb and all. Bookdeals and everything, before long he'll be claiming dawkins begs him for dimner dates

EveryMan

Post by EveryMan »

Tigzy wrote: Watson is a strange beast, and I confess I find it unfathomable how she got into her position of power. She doesn't appear to be all that intelligent, acts immature, and if the cultivated drone of her voice is anything to go by, not very charismatic either. Maybe she's more charismatic in person, I dunno; maybe her meagre talents extend only to being adept at emotional manipulation (if Surly Amy serves as a general example of her dismal tribe, then such manipulation shouldn't be too difficult anyways). I always found it telling how she behaved when accidentally given those admin priviledges on the JREF boards; an exercise in thoughtless plunder - deleting accounts of people she didn't like - and shrugging it off as 'just a joke, guys.' Perhaps a simple wish for power provides enough impetus to make it a kind of talent in itself, and that's all she needs. Who knows.
You are giving her way too much credit.

As someone that knows her from her inglorious days @JREF, my opinion of her at the time was that she was the secular movements equivalent of Ann Coulter. Simply a cynical opportunist that saw a niche available for someone with a vagina that spouted the party line. She absolutely could care fuck-all about the business.

I mean, seriously. When was the last time (ever?) that Becky gave a shit about anything that didn't involve her personally.

She only has the audience she does due to affirmative action and misogynists like D.J. Grothe and P.Z. Meyers that give her platform only because she's a woman. Good for Dawkins for standing up her by simply treated her like an adult.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Tigzy wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

/popcorn
Oh. He's fucked off. :cry:
[youtube]c4SJ0xR2_bQ[/youtube]

Brave Sir PZ