Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Dave

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Dave »

welch wrote:
Dave wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:I just noticed that Dr. Harriet Hall and Surly Amy are both at CSICon.

Will there be another T-shirt incident?

Also, I believe that I won a bet that I had with a friend ....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... 25/my-day/
Are you fucking kidding me?!? What a whiny little cunt PeeZus is.
I dunno, insecure attention-whoring like that is pretty impressive. I love how he's so worried about light posting. How does that ego even fit on the plane?
Nahh. Thats not a big ego. Ive worked on Wall, I know big egos, I can respect a big ego. This is pathetic, a needy, whiny narcissistic cry for affirmation. "Please please please tell me youll miss me when my posting is light. I need you tell me how great I am."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Mykeru wrote:
1. So, all I wrote, all you people got out of it is a discussion on which way the ass-wipe hangs? Fuck you people.
When one hunts for lulz, one goes for the jugular! (Nothing against you Mykeru, it just seemed like a funny subject to extrapolate on, and so I did).

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mykeru wrote: Same goes for "misogyny". Someone who pathologically hates women as a group has got something seriously wrong with them.

The overuse of that term, when Rebecca Watson and Ophelia Benson deploy that term it evinces either 1. Not understanding what it means or 2. Just being a mean-spirited little shit. However, when Jen McCreight uses it it's because I honestly think she's an idiot.
They tend to forget the whole "as a group" part. So if someone dislikes or even hates one particular woman this gets translated as misogyny, so that person can be tarred as a hater and dismissed, instead of addressing the situation as enmity between two specific people.

About RW and OB, I would go with option 2. They use it because the little shits have seen that many people rally to their defense every time they yell that word. I imagine that that number of people will gradually diminish after they have worn them out by calling everything and anything "misogyny".

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dave wrote:
welch wrote:
Dave wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:I just noticed that Dr. Harriet Hall and Surly Amy are both at CSICon.

I dunno, insecure attention-whoring like that is pretty impressive. I love how he's so worried about light posting. How does that ego even fit on the plane?
Nahh. Thats not a big ego. Ive worked on Wall, I know big egos, I can respect a big ego. This is pathetic, a needy, whiny narcissistic cry for affirmation. "Please please please tell me youll miss me when my posting is light. I need you tell me how great I am."
Allow me to translate from The Peezus:

Pay attention to me:

I've got a job. A cushy academic white-collar job. Feel my pain.

Then I have to do what everyone else trying to cram their ass on an airplane is trying to do. Then we will overlook the wonder that is air travel and complain about that.

I might be bored by having to wait. Entertain me, life, dammit.

Some people are still dumb enough to listen to what I have to say. I hate it. And I will hate it even more when they wise up.

People may not understand the brilliance that is me.

I will be tired. Put me down and read me a story.

Blah-blah-blah, me-me-me. I made a doody.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
1. So, all I wrote, all you people got out of it is a discussion on which way the ass-wipe hangs? Fuck you people.
When one hunts for lulz, one goes for the jugular! (Nothing against you Mykeru, it just seemed like a funny subject to extrapolate on, and so I did).
P.S. http://cat-bounce.com/

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

AndrewV69 wrote:Same with rape. I no longer automatically believe any woman who says she was raped. I do not know how widespread my attitude is. However, to my mind this is more likely to have some very unfortunate repercussions down the road If it becomes so.
Yeah, I'm sure this makes me a screaming mysogynistic, patriarchal, woman-hating MRA, but given the number of false rape accusations I've seen made by people I know (yes, I know, anecdotal, non-representative sample, blah, blah), I couldn't make my default stance into believing rape accusations if I tried. I try very hard not to let my default assumption become disbelief, but the only thing that's keeping from filing "I was raped" in the same drawer as "I saw a ghost" is that I have certain knowledge that rape is a real thing that actually does happen to people.

Reap

Post by Reap »

http://godlessradionet.ipage.com/My%20d ... yngula.png

:lol: I wonder how long before he figures it out ...or if he ever does. I owe abear a beer.
Makes my fuckin day

Altair

Post by Altair »

Al Stefanelli wrote: I just sent a reply to one his tweets. I think your tag was still in it.
I just read your conversation with benFromCanada, and I have to say congratulations on your reasoned and well-thought answers. I especially liked the part when he couldn't name any MRAs beyond saying "the ones that actively try to change society to be more male dominated, especially".

You just earned yourself a new twitter follower, despite that scary hat you like to wear.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Reap wrote:http://godlessradionet.ipage.com/My%20d ... yngula.png

:lol: I wonder how long before he figures it out ...or if he ever does. I owe abear a beer.
Makes my fuckin day
After reading PZ's comment about anger and RW's tshirt about hate, I wonder what kind of people think it's a great idea to use expressions that make them sound like Emperor Palpatine.

http://bit.ly/Se8913

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
P.S. http://cat-bounce.com/
Wut?!? You don't like the smell of Napalm in the morning?

Tss!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Altair wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote: I just sent a reply to one his tweets. I think your tag was still in it.
I just read your conversation with benFromCanada, and I have to say congratulations on your reasoned and well-thought answers. I especially liked the part when he couldn't name any MRAs beyond saying "the ones that actively try to change society to be more male dominated, especially".

You just earned yourself a new twitter follower, despite that scary hat you like to wear.
Al clearly was very reasoned. Ben, on the other hand, was just swinging from the hip and riding on emotion - nothing else. I dropped out of the convo as I don't know enough about the MRM or MRAs to make any intelligent or reasonable arguments for or against. I do know that feminism today seems hell-bent on emasculation (in MHO) and that's not something I want to be a part of. I have a few friends who are MRAs and they are *nothing* like what so many try to put out there.

In any case, I ended up blocking Ben as I just don't abide people who can't make intelligent arguments and advocate physical abuse on those they don't agree with.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Makes my fuckin day
Peez, is "fueled by exhaustion"!

Fucking nitwit.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Mykeru wrote:

Makes my fuckin day
Peez, is "fueled by exhaustion"!

Fucking nitwit.
Hey! its an inexhaustible supply of exhaustion that inexhaustibly excites inexcusable endless excuses about exasperating endless exploits...geesh, get it right

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

JackRayner wrote:
Altair wrote:
This BenFromCanada guy is a total moron, he's the guy who posted this in the past

http://imageshack.us/a/img87/3047/tempes.th.png

and retweeted this amazing displays of wisdom

http://imageshack.us/a/img141/6045/temp2q.th.png

I think he was actually trying to pull a white-knight on you, rescuing you from the clutches of teh evil MRAz and showing you teh AWESOME good guys like him, after which you would be eternally grateful and reward him with cookies, sammiches and other kinds of stuff.
He just didn't know he was going after a woman who won't fall for those cheap tricks.
Wow. An asshole saying that people he doesn't understand deserve physical harm...and he's supposed to be one of the good guys? Okay.

And that "Yasmin Sadie" person is a feminist cunt whom Wooly and I got into a spat with a little while ago. I'm not sure why she addressed me initially [might be my twatter bio, I think I state it there], but it was a "discussion" about my belief that feminism is not about equality. I brought up selective service, she claimed the lack of a draft made it inconsequential, and then when I spelled out all of the things that can happen to a male if he doesn't sign up for it, she called me a woman hater and blocked me. This is the abridged version, of course. I also let her know the pay gap and 1-in-4 rape figure were myths, and included sources that she hastily dismissed. These "spats" are common, and all you have to do is frequent the comments section of a few MRA youtubers to see how typical "arguments" from feminists are...
I apologise for the Canadian twits on twitter. My real world twitter persona is staying well away from those nutbars.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Al clearly was very reasoned. Ben, on the other hand, was just swinging from the hip and riding on emotion - nothing else. I dropped out of the convo as I don't know enough about the MRM or MRAs to make any intelligent or reasonable arguments for or against. I do know that feminism today seems hell-bent on emasculation (in MHO) and that's not something I want to be a part of. I have a few friends who are MRAs and they are *nothing* like what so many try to put out there.

In any case, I ended up blocking Ben as I just don't abide people who can't make intelligent arguments and advocate physical abuse on those they don't agree with.
From GendErattic:

Valerie Keefe tells a fellow feminist some home truths about what MRAs think of feminism and why
http://www.genderratic.com/p/2158/valer ... m-and-why/

Sourced from:

[In Brief] Do Feminists Care About Men’s Issues? (A handy list!)
http://brutereason.net/2012/09/20/in-br ... mment-4934

BTW, if you do not have the time to read all the articles on the list, read the comments by Valerie Keefe. (I might still be a feminist if the majority were like Valerie. Too little and too late though, the horse has jumped the fence).

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@ERV,

I thought you may find this interesting:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... in-movies/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... /poly1.jpg
the alleles which span dozens of primate species and ~20 million years derive from common ancestors, and are not reinventions of the wheel.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I guess I should have included the money shot:
In this paper the authors argued that one reason earlier attempts to discern identity may have failed is that the appropriate genomic regions are going to be extremely narrow, on the order of a few hundred base pairs. Once they zeroed in on the appropriate segment they generated a phylogeny with A, B, and O, across their species of interest. What they found is that A and B clustered together irrespective of species, while O was not particularly related. Why? The implication here is that A and B are deep clades which have persisted across the species’ barrier, while O is a repeated loss of function mutation. Not only do A and B form natural clades, but the flanking regions of these two variants are more divergent than when one compares A to A or B to B. This is important, because if A and B emerged from distinctive genetic backgrounds repeatedly, then you would have a scrambled scenario of affinities, and likely no systematic difference.

comslave

Post by comslave »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I also let her know the pay gap and 1-in-4 rape figure were myths...
*That*! That right there. Even *I* know that the "1-in-4" refers to sexual assault. But many uber fems take this stat and run with it as a "rape stat". Grrrrrr. Drives me almost as batty as the misunderstanding of the word "misogynist".

It's even broader than that. In the original study, having a drink with your boyfriend and then having sex with him counted you as a rape victim.

The problem is that I keep hearing even atheists I still respect conflate sexual assault and rape when talking about the statistics. You really have to be careful about your wording on this subject.

With regard to reports of rape, I've always subjected them to the same level of evidence I would any other assault claim. Of course, nowadays that makes me a rape apologist, sexist, misogynist, and evil MRA. I'm sure by now I have list of labels pinned on my back to make a tail.

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote:I guess I should have included the money shot:
In this paper the authors argued that one reason earlier attempts to discern identity may have failed is that the appropriate genomic regions are going to be extremely narrow, on the order of a few hundred base pairs. Once they zeroed in on the appropriate segment they generated a phylogeny with A, B, and O, across their species of interest. What they found is that A and B clustered together irrespective of species, while O was not particularly related. Why? The implication here is that A and B are deep clades which have persisted across the species’ barrier, while O is a repeated loss of function mutation. Not only do A and B form natural clades, but the flanking regions of these two variants are more divergent than when one compares A to A or B to B. This is important, because if A and B emerged from distinctive genetic backgrounds repeatedly, then you would have a scrambled scenario of affinities, and likely no systematic difference.
I have no idea what you just said, so here's a cat

http://bit.ly/QKD1nJ

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

AndrewV69 wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Al clearly was very reasoned. Ben, on the other hand, was just swinging from the hip and riding on emotion - nothing else. I dropped out of the convo as I don't know enough about the MRM or MRAs to make any intelligent or reasonable arguments for or against. I do know that feminism today seems hell-bent on emasculation (in MHO) and that's not something I want to be a part of. I have a few friends who are MRAs and they are *nothing* like what so many try to put out there.

From GendErattic:

Valerie Keefe tells a fellow feminist some home truths about what MRAs think of feminism and why
http://www.genderratic.com/p/2158/valer ... m-and-why/

Sourced from:

[In Brief] Do Feminists Care About Men’s Issues? (A handy list!)
http://brutereason.net/2012/09/20/in-br ... mment-4934

BTW, if you do not have the time to read all the articles on the list, read the comments by Valerie Keefe. (I might still be a feminist if the majority were like Valerie. Too little and too late though, the horse has jumped the fence).
Thank you! I've got my reading for tonight set :D

comslave

Post by comslave »

AndrewV69 wrote:
acathode wrote: The rather unsettling side effect of this though, has been that real racism now is more ok. It's a lot easier to find people these days talking openly about "sand niggers", "MENA-scum", "rape settlers", and so on, and there's a lot more of people doing it too. It seems that as racism lose it's meaning, people feel more free to show and engage in real, actual racism, and more and more people see this open racism, and think it's ok, and joins in.

Same with rape. I no longer automatically believe any woman who says she was raped. I do not know how widespread my attitude is. However, to my mind this is more likely to have some very unfortunate repercussions down the road If it becomes so.
One thing I've been contemplating is that as the punishment for rape increases in it's severity (we now have "civil commitment", which can be a life sentence in prison, along with the permanent scarlet letter of the sex offenders registry), shouldn't the burden of proof of rape then also go up? Or at least have the same automatic appeals we have in death penalty cases? In a case where we are throwing a man away for life, it becomes doubly important that we know the crime actually occured and that we have the right man. I don't think feminists understand that in asking for this level of punishment, they risk jury nullification because the level of punishment given may cause jurists to amplify their doubts.

Notung

Post by Notung »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Barf. McCreight and Watson get their stupid names in print ... again: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... vk.twitter
Quite funny that the article is trying to imply that atheists are getting more tolerant of religion (or 'accommodationist') and using McCreight and Watson as part of their argument for it!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Altair wrote: I have no idea what you just said, so here's a cat

[img]

*chuckle* Cute. Seriously though, the paper is very interesting. You can get a copy here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.4613

What I started doing years ago was to look up the terms, which refer you to other terms and so on. If you spend even 30 minutes or so each day doing this, after awhile you build up a body of knowledge which facilitates a greater in-depth understanding of the subject matter, and also a greater appreciation for your own ignorance.

It also helps if you find blogger(s) with the ability to effectively communicate on the subject. For example, Abbie has influenced my not-so-great interest in microbiology to the point where I estimate I have spent around 40 hours over the course of two years reading on that specific subject.

You start to see connections, first the basics, cells ... turgidity! osmosis!!! whoa!!! thas physics!!! and the deeper you go the more awesome it becomes.

Anyway, read page 24 of the paper. It had an eyebrow raiser for the likes of me and my assumptions for chimps vs gorillas with humans.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Tigzy wrote: Racists have been known to attack Islam on the basis of it being a 'foreign, alien and very non-white' religion . One need only Google 'muslamic ray-guns', or watch that episode of...was it Kilroy or Jeremy Kyle? Ah, whodafuc knows - where Omar Bakri, aka the Tottenham Ayatollah, was put up for public roasting, and certain of the roasters were quick in demanding that he 'get back into the corner shop'. (Note for non-UKers: there's a racist meme that people of Pakistani origin tend to run corner shops, and though Omar Bakri is actually of Syrian descent...well, you know what racists can be like. Re, Bernard Manning: 'There were this Paki come over from India...' Yes, he really said that.) However, having an antipathy to Islam, even a strong one, does not necessarily make one a racist.
True - I have some fairly serious concerns about Islam(ism?) both globally and domestically, but when I hear things like 'This Paki comes over from India' and 'Get back to the corner shop' etc I really cringe..
The 'corner shop' meme has it's origins in the expulsion of the Indian population of Uganda in 1972. The Indians had been brought over to Uganda to help build railways for the British Empire. Many stayed in Africa and built thriving businesses there.
In 1972 Amin gave then 90 days to leave, and many of them were offered sanctuary in the UK.
They arrived with just the clothes on their backs, having left their homes and businesses behind.They were given basic housing in shitty inner city sink estates and minimal government assistance.
Did they complain about it? Did they fuck. They ignored it, rolled up their sleeves and got to work building small businesses, quite often corner/grocery shops that stayed open for 18hrs a day, then used the money to buy the clothing/fabric businesses that they had owned in Uganda.
Within a decade, they were moving out of their sink estate housing and into mortgaged semi detached houses in the leafy 'burbs. Within a generation, their kids were in university (something that was not available to them in Uganda) studying to become doctors, dentists, pharmacists and engineers.
They recognised the opportunity and seized it with both hands. They asked for no help and quite frankly they showed the native Brits exactly what could be achieved through honest hard work and determination even in the face of unashamed prejudices (Sitcoms at the time regularly featured a stereotypical hapless Indian in a turban etc)
What makes them all the more impressive to me is this all this was set against a backdrop of 3-day weeks, power cuts and strikes that was a feature of Britain at the time. The Indian population forced the respect out of the British and fully integrated themselves into the culture without completely giving up their own identity.
To compare these people and their descendants to people like Anjem Chowdary, Abu-Hamza, and their ilk is a massively ignorant mistake to make.

Altair

Post by Altair »

*chuckle* Cute. Seriously though, the paper is very interesting. You can get a copy here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.4613

What I started doing years ago was to look up the terms, which refer you to other terms and so on. If you spend even 30 minutes or so each day doing this, after awhile you build up a body of knowledge which facilitates a greater in-depth understanding of the subject matter, and also a greater appreciation for your own ignorance.

It also helps if you find blogger(s) with the ability to effectively communicate on the subject. For example, Abbie has influenced my not-so-great interest in microbiology to the point where I estimate I have spent around 40 hours over the course of two years reading on that specific subject.

You start to see connections, first the basics, cells ... turgidity! osmosis!!! whoa!!! thas physics!!! and the deeper you go the more awesome it becomes.

Anyway, read page 24 of the paper. It had an eyebrow raiser for the likes of me and my assumptions for chimps vs gorillas with humans.[/quote]

That's very sound advice, Andrew, I'll do that when I get home from work tonight.

Altair

Post by Altair »

My very first quote fail, nice :doh:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Notung wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Barf. McCreight and Watson get their stupid names in print ... again: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fea ... vk.twitter

Quite funny that the article is trying to imply that atheists are getting more tolerant of religion (or 'accommodationist') and using McCreight and Watson as part of their argument for it!
If you watch the video of Dawkins talk in Dublin that Watson criticised, you'll see that Dawkins is standing up for the principal that we should be able to ridicule religious ideas.
If Watson is really against the idea of ridicule being a tool that can be employed by atheists then she IS getting close to the accomodationist position.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Altair wrote:My very first quote fail, nice :doh:
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/7382000/ngb ... c254bf.jpg

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

from twitter http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost8716391
RW getting some criticism on JREF

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

papillon wrote:
True - I have some fairly serious concerns about Islam(ism?) both globally and domestically, but when I hear things like 'This Paki comes over from India' and 'Get back to the corner shop' etc I really cringe..
And what's more, it poisons honest criticism of Islam by associating it with racism, which leads - as we see so often on FTB - to kneejerk reactions from the SJWs accusing the critics of racism. Given how noisy the racists can be about the matter - and given the media's appetite for sensationalism, one will usually find a reference to, or image of, dimbulb organisations like the EDL (I've always wondered why a purportedly anti-Islamist movement should characterise itself as the 'English Defence League' - as far as I'm aware, being English is no bar to being a muslim. Which does make me wonder about the underlying motives of the organisation) whenever strident anti-Islamism is mentioned - the SJWs almost have a point. And I have little doubt that Choudhary, Bakri, and old Captain Hook actually delight in this co-opting of anti-Islamism by the racists, as it makes criticism of what they're about such a minefield.

In any case, there's certainly every reason to be concerned about Islamism - or at least the austere and strident Wahabi kind which has apparently made such headway (I say 'apparently', because my sources - media and newspaper - are not that reliable, in being prone to sensationalism and whatnot). However, I will say that on a personal, day-to-day level with the admittedly few muslims I've interacted with, there's certainly a strain of secularism coming through. A muslim kid at my stepson's old school, for instance, would give out xmas cards; I've known of muslim women who admit to (secretly) drinking socially; the Turks who run the local kebab and pizza houses aren't shy about enjoying ham and bacon. In all, it's struck me that with all the muslims I've known, it seems as if Islam doesn't figure that massively in their lives at all. I'm not saying it would be wise to start offering up Mohammed jokes to them, or even if this massively limited sample is anyway representative of what's happening in Islam within the UK, let alone the world. Then again, there's at least some seeds of hope that Islam itself could be quite comfortable in a secular world, and perhaps even be coming to grips with its own age of enlightenment.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Dilurk wrote:from twitter http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost8716391
Dilurk wrote:from twitter http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost8716391
From the thread:
"She's a self-absorbed attention-grabbing radfem drama llama bully.."

WTF - even the Llamas aren't safe from Watson - Alpacas watch out! - you're next.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

I find it fascinating how many people in the JREF apparently base their whole opinion on "I heard something said by someone who quoted something in something I didn't read" to justify the "rape threats".

Jesus Fucking Christ. I loathe Rebecca Watson, but she sure has put that communications and marketing degree to work for her.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
acathode wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:I just have issues when people use the wrong words.
Who doesn't? Especially when it's words that carry extremely strong connotations that are being flippantly misused. It's frustrating, for so many reasons.

There's the sheer dishonesty, labeling someone as a misogynist for simply disagreeing and disliking them, is more or less outright lying, and it pisses people off a great deal to get falsely accused of being what is in essence the worst scum there is. It's like being labeled a Nazi just because you don't agree with some of Israels current actions...

Then there's the damage they do to the language, by overusing and abusing very powerful terms, they are lessing the meaning of the terms, ultimately destroying it completely. 5 years down the line, what word will Ophelia use to describe real misogyny, ie. honest woman hating, if she ever faces it? No one will care if she yells "MISOGYNY!", because that's just someone disagreeing with her yet again.

Then there's the insult to the people in the world who actually faces real misogyny, real stalkers, real sexism, and real harassments. Claiming that you're the victim of misogyny and sexism because people use the word "cunt" is a insult to the people who've faced real misogyny and sexism. Trying to claim that you are a stalker victim because someone reads your twitter, facebook and blog is a insult to the people who've gotten their lives ruined by real stalkers... and so on.

I see many parallels to the way Ophelia and the FC use "misogyny", with the way "racism" has been used in the last 10-20 years in Swedish politics. Basically, any public discussion about immigration is impossible here, because people will scream "RACISM!!" on top of their lungs before the discussion even starts, and any attempt by people not in favor of current immigration policies to still continue the debate is simply meet with more "RACISMS!!!!!" accusation.
Obviously, while there undoubtedly exist some genuine racists among the people who disagree with current policy, the vast majority are not actual racists, but instead people who, for example, just question the economic feasibility for a country of our size to accept a huge number of illiterate, uneducated immigrants. It's an argument you'd think you'd be able to put forth, but no, if you do, you're a racist, because you speak like them, and uses the same kind of arguments as they do! (notice the circular reasoning?)

Getting labeled a racist, when you clearly aren't, is frustrating, and it pisses people off, A LOT. After a while though, people stop caring, and the word "racist" loses it's meaning. When it's flippantly thrown around and everyone who disagrees just the slightest is a racist, it just becomes a bad joke. The only ones who will actually care, is the people who still are shouting "RACIST!!", who just can't understand why it's not having the same effect as it used to have.

The rather unsettling side effect of this though, has been that real racism now is more ok. It's a lot easier to find people these days talking openly about "sand niggers", "MENA-scum", "rape settlers", and so on, and there's a lot more of people doing it too. It seems that as racism lose it's meaning, people feel more free to show and engage in real, actual racism, and more and more people see this open racism, and think it's ok, and joins in.
Yep, lots of truth, there.
The use of those terms, applied improperly, is just a short cut for the intellectually lazy, who are too busy working up their latest woo to actually argue a point.

Racist and misogynist are about the worst things you can call anyone. When you see a real example of a racist in the wild, the best you can say about them is they have a number of lazy, unexplored assumptions. At worst they are simply mentally ill. I mean that seriously, anyone who walks around with supremacist ideas, or hating and fearing people for something as unsubstantial in humans as "race" has got to be pretty mental.

Same goes for "misogyny". Someone who pathologically hates women as a group has got something seriously wrong with them.

The overuse of that term, when Rebecca Watson and Ophelia Benson deploy that term it evinces either 1. Not understanding what it means or 2. Just being a mean-spirited little shit. However, when Jen McCreight uses it it's because I honestly think she's an idiot.

The worst thing about flinging the word misogynist around is it leads credence to those people who claim that women are petty, emotive, and incapable of rational thought. You know, actual misogynists.

And the MRM=conservatism ruse? Horseshit. Conservatives like the status quo. That's why they are conservatives. Maybe you can find some outlier MRAs, but mostly the people I interact with - John the Other and the like -- want actual equity, rather than equality when convenient, not to put words in his mouth.

That MRAs want to go back in any sense and keep women barefoot and pregnant while making sammiches, is the sort of ludicrous horseshit that people who have already defined their enemy, so they don't have to know about it, do. Like McCarthyism.
At one point, when I was still allowed to speak directly to the Umbridge, I tried to point out a crucial point she seemed to be missing:
If I say "Jane's a cunt", that's not misogyny. It's rude, to be sure, possibly mean. But maybe Jane did something that really pissed me off, or fucked up my day. Maybe, from my point of view, Jane is in fact, a cunt. But that's between me an Jane, not me and every fucking woman on the planet.

Now, if I walk around saying, AND BELIEVING that "women iz bitches", then that's different. Calling that misogyny, is, to me, not out of line, nor inaccurate. It's just like calling one man an asshole doesn't make you a man-hater. Maybe he IS an asshole. I mean, we cannot discount the possibility, right?
This is when she was blathering on about how, if you walked into a room full of white folks who were not racist on any level, and said "Hey, let's go lynch some niggers", the power of that word would completely change their ethical and moral practices, and bang, lynching.

I said that was the stupidest concept i'd ever heard. Of course, I got banned.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Dave wrote:
welch wrote:
Dave wrote:

Allow me to translate from The Peezus:

Pay attention to me:

I've got a job. A cushy academic white-collar job. Feel my pain.

Then I have to do what everyone else trying to cram their ass on an airplane is trying to do. Then we will overlook the wonder that is air travel and complain about that.

I might be bored by having to wait. Entertain me, life, dammit.

Some people are still dumb enough to listen to what I have to say. I hate it. And I will hate it even more when they wise up.

People may not understand the brilliance that is me.

I will be tired. Put me down and read me a story.

Blah-blah-blah, me-me-me. I made a doody.
I read that and think about how my week went, and how next week won't be much better. Motherfucker'd drop dead if he had to actually work.

welch

Post by welch »

papillon wrote:
Tigzy wrote: Racists have been known to attack Islam on the basis of it being a 'foreign, alien and very non-white' religion . One need only Google 'muslamic ray-guns', or watch that episode of...was it Kilroy or Jeremy Kyle? Ah, whodafuc knows - where Omar Bakri, aka the Tottenham Ayatollah, was put up for public roasting, and certain of the roasters were quick in demanding that he 'get back into the corner shop'. (Note for non-UKers: there's a racist meme that people of Pakistani origin tend to run corner shops, and though Omar Bakri is actually of Syrian descent...well, you know what racists can be like. Re, Bernard Manning: 'There were this Paki come over from India...' Yes, he really said that.) However, having an antipathy to Islam, even a strong one, does not necessarily make one a racist.
The 'corner shop' meme has it's origins in the expulsion of the Indian population of Uganda in 1972. The Indians had been brought over to Uganda to help build railways for the British Empire. Many stayed in Africa and built thriving businesses there.
In 1972 Amin gave then 90 days to leave, and many of them were offered sanctuary in the UK.
They arrived with just the clothes on their backs, having left their homes and businesses behind.They were given basic housing in shitty inner city sink estates and minimal government assistance.
Did they complain about it? Did they fuck. They ignored it, rolled up their sleeves and got to work building small businesses, quite often corner/grocery shops that stayed open for 18hrs a day, then used the money to buy the clothing/fabric businesses that they had owned in Uganda.
Within a decade, they were moving out of their sink estate housing and into mortgaged semi detached houses in the leafy 'burbs. Within a generation, their kids were in university (something that was not available to them in Uganda) studying to become doctors, dentists, pharmacists and engineers.
They recognised the opportunity and seized it with both hands. They asked for no help and quite frankly they showed the native Brits exactly what could be achieved through honest hard work and determination even in the face of unashamed prejudices (Sitcoms at the time regularly featured a stereotypical hapless Indian in a turban etc)
What makes them all the more impressive to me is this all this was set against a backdrop of 3-day weeks, power cuts and strikes that was a feature of Britain at the time. The Indian population forced the respect out of the British and fully integrated themselves into the culture without completely giving up their own identity.
To compare these people and their descendants to people like Anjem Chowdary, Abu-Hamza, and their ilk is a massively ignorant mistake to make.
People like to complain about how the cubans took over Miami, but really, it wasn't hard. They started with a decent, but not great, bit of government assistance and worked their asses off to own restaurants, grocery store chains, and most importantly, banks and other similar entities.

So what happens? Refugees make it to dry land, and they find they can get loans easy, help starting a business is remarkably easy to come by, and getting that home loan is easier. In return, you're expected to help out the next new folks as best you can.

People complain mightily about OMG CUBANS, but fuck, I was there BEFORE mariel and there rest, and I say good riddance to the honkies. All they did was bitch about the good old days and act like redneck dipshits. Fuck that, do some goddamned work.

rayshul sigh

Post by rayshul sigh »

debaser71 wrote:Maybe some of you aren't aware but here in the US there's an election approaching. This means everyone is trying very hard to stick to the narrative. In the case of liberals and democrats (and Slate magazine) their narrative is the "war on women". RW and the the scary male atheists she has to deal with fits perfectly into this narrative. SO when the election is over and all the fear mongering about a "war on women" blows over, media interest in RW will also blow over.
That's a really interesting take.

A lot of my US friends on Twitter are shouting about Republicans and their views on women - I think it's quite shocking the idea that people are against abortion and stopping funding to your Planned Parenthood places. I can see how easy it is to go on to the narrative that all men are evil.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

rayshul sigh wrote:
debaser71 wrote:Maybe some of you aren't aware but here in the US there's an election approaching. This means everyone is trying very hard to stick to the narrative. In the case of liberals and democrats (and Slate magazine) their narrative is the "war on women". RW and the the scary male atheists she has to deal with fits perfectly into this narrative. SO when the election is over and all the fear mongering about a "war on women" blows over, media interest in RW will also blow over.

A lot of my US friends on Twitter are shouting about Republicans and their views on women - I think it's quite shocking the idea that people are against abortion and stopping funding to your Planned Parenthood places. I can see how easy it is to go on to the narrative that all men are evil.

I must disagree vehemently with the characterization of Rebecca Watson as a useful idiot. She is not, nor ever will be useful.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

I thought we were going to close this thread in favour of a new one? ERV should be the one to name it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dilurk wrote:I thought we were going to close this thread in favour of a new one? ERV should be the one to name it.
That was just a joke. There's no need to close this one.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Mykeru wrote:
I find it fascinating how many people in the JREF apparently base their whole opinion on "I heard something said by someone who quoted something in something I didn't read" to justify the "rape threats".

Jesus Fucking Christ. I loathe Rebecca Watson, but she sure has put that communications and marketing degree to work for her.
She is doing classic propaganda. I'd say it was deliberate.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Lsuoma wrote:
Dilurk wrote:I thought we were going to close this thread in favour of a new one? ERV should be the one to name it.
That was just a joke. There's no need to close this one.
You see what you just did now?

InnocentInfidel

Post by InnocentInfidel »

Mykeru wrote:
rayshul sigh wrote:

I must disagree vehemently with the characterization of Rebecca Watson as a useful idiot. She is not, nor ever will be useful.

Mykeru, what are you doing here? Go make so more of your excellent YT videos! Now, dammit! We're waiting..... :popcorn:

Reap

Post by Reap »

Dilurk wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

She is doing classic propaganda. I'd say it was deliberate.
She seems to have a degree in bloodletting turnips. I wonder where she goes from this. She clearly is at least a bit mental. She won't like the drop in attention when it comes and I will bet we see a drama-filled event just in time to bring her back into the spotlight as it starts to move off her. Typical.

papillon

Post by papillon »

Tigzy wrote:Then again, there's at least some seeds of hope that Islam itself could be quite comfortable in a secular world, and perhaps even be coming to grips with its own age of enlightenment.
I'm not sure I'm quite as optimistic as yourself, and you're right that Chowdhary et al love the conflation of racism/anti-Islamism. They seem more than happy to turn the fruits of enlightenment to their advantage (free speech, freedom of expression, human rights etc) yet would deny those very things if only they had any authority.
The concept of a Muslim 'Ummah', or single global body of Muslims makes it extremely difficult to criticise any aspect of the faith. In order to critique a single aspect of Islam, you must first insult or offend a huge number of average Mohammads as well as a bunch of extreme leftist UAF who will be only too happy to be offended on their behalf.
I find the contrast between the largely Sikh immigrants of the '70's and the modern muslims (native and immigrant) is quite staggering. What makes them so different? There is a huge elephant in the room and in my opinion it's mainly religious and not so much culturally motivated. Sikhs and Hindus do not seem to have the same grievances as many Muslims do People like the EDL are doing themselves no favours at all, in that they are the obvious choice for any far right groups to affiliate with and of course that is all anyone sees in the press.
People who may have had sympathy with their grievances have been put off by the 'ray gun' stuff and the Chowdary's of this world are laughing all the way to the dole office.
If change is to happen, it will have to be from the bottom up, a groundswell of popular opinion that gradually effects change, rather than a top-down change from the Imams etc as this would necessitate a revision of scripture, which I don't think likely.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

InnocentInfidel wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
rayshul sigh wrote:

Mykeru, what are you doing here? Go make so more of your excellent YT videos! Now, dammit! We're waiting..... :popcorn:
I'm going to finish the one I have been slaving over like a starving artist. I had a set-back when the file corrupted and I had to start over. However, you know what the urge "Dammit I have to finish this because I'm on some sort of schedule" means? It means I should give it a rest and come back to it before I produce total shit.

When I worked as a painter for a billboard company I had to carry a dictionary with me. Because if you spend enough time painting the word "You" eventually it's meaningless. It doesn't even look like a word. Video clips are like that. After a while you have to step back...

Actually, it's a problem (See what I'm doing here? No? Good) with the loose association of people I pay attention to, what I'm thinking is constantly subject to revision.

Oh...okay. I'm going.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu22 ... nagger.jpg

Nagger.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm really interested in finding out how much more support the MRA movement has recieved since this madness in the atheism community. Wonder how that could be measured.

It's odd, I've always considered myself a feminist until this shit went down. I've been looking into the MRA as an extension of what I think feminism should be - equal rights/expectations for both men and women. It's sort of because as a woman I think I have all the rights I want at the moment, aside from those that relate to abortion/etc which really haven't been... I don't know, worked out to a state that's really healthy for all women in all contries. I don't know what else there is. While I don't think men do, especially around child care and support for sexual assault and mental illness. Hmm.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Altair wrote:

Sweet. Thank you.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

rayshul wrote:I'm really interested in finding out how much more support the MRA movement has recieved since this madness in the atheism community. Wonder how that could be measured.

It's odd, I've always considered myself a feminist until this shit went down. I've been looking into the MRA as an extension of what I think feminism should be - equal rights/expectations for both men and women. It's sort of because as a woman I think I have all the rights I want at the moment, aside from those that relate to abortion/etc which really haven't been... I don't know, worked out to a state that's really healthy for all women in all contries. I don't know what else there is. While I don't think men do, especially around child care and support for sexual assault and mental illness. Hmm.
Look I am a feminist when the position being espoused makes sense to me. I am an MRA when the position espoused makes sense to me. A blanket acceptance of all positions of dogma of any form of feminism or MRA I just will not do. Prejudice of any sort just sucks. So yes I am still a feminist (of some form or another equity is close) and a MRA (of some sort or another) because I have seen both prejudice against women and against men.

Do I finally make my position clear?

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

rayshul wrote:I'm really interested in finding out how much more support the MRA movement has recieved since this madness in the atheism community. Wonder how that could be measured.

Look I am a feminist when the position being espoused makes sense to me. I am an MRA when the position espoused makes sense to me. A blanket acceptance of all positions of dogma of any form of feminism or MRA I just will not do. Prejudice of any sort just sucks. So yes I am still a feminist (of some form or another equity is close) and a MRA (of some sort or another) because I have seen both prejudice against women and against men.

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

http://i.imgur.com/0fw7Y.jpg
26 Oct: http://i.imgur.com/54eHw.jpg

Program for Australian Skeptics National Convention 2012, November 30
http://i.imgur.com/OuL4m.jpg

*snort*

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

That's partly where I'm at as well. My interest in MRAs and the MRM has been a very recent thing. It took seeing how some "feminists" (and I use that word with quotes because they really don't seem like feminists to me) treat and react to men to get me thinking about men's rights.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dilurk wrote:

Perfectly! :)

Pinker

Post by Pinker »

Rebecca Watson -- The brave new face of skepticism, the next Carl Sagan !

We're doomed.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I can't help it. These are *awesome*: http://venturephilosophy.blogspot.com/2 ... signs.html

mutleyeng

Post by mutleyeng »

Pinker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/0fw7Y.jpg
26 Oct: http://i.imgur.com/54eHw.jpg

Program for Australian Skeptics National Convention 2012, November 30

*snort*
that should go up on phawrongula

papillon

Post by papillon »

welch wrote: People complain mightily about OMG CUBANS, but fuck, I was there BEFORE mariel and there rest, and I say good riddance to the honkies. All they did was bitch about the good old days and act like redneck dipshits. Fuck that, do some goddamned work.
[youtube]brj2UkUPjCI[/youtube]

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Pinker wrote: Program for Australian Skeptics National Convention 2012, November 30
Ummm... Paul Gallagher - 2 speakers before her - hhmmmzz... Wonder how long she will take to derail her talk time into her usual blurb parroting the number and type of threats she constantly receives... I give it less than 2 minutes.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dilurk wrote: Do I finally make my position clear?
Doubly so my good man.

/snark

Notung

Post by Notung »

SteveW68 wrote:Wonder how long she will take to derail her talk time into her usual blurb parroting the number and type of threats she constantly receives... I give it less than 2 minutes.
Reminds me: when I was a kid, storytime with my dad involved taking it turns to tell parts of an impromptu story - and I always wanted it to be about Aladdin (this is before that Disney movie). One day he said that he was bored with Aladdin and started off with "Once there was a man who was walking down the street" (my dad is a creative genius, as you can tell). When it was my turn I said "...and he trod on a magic button and everything turned into a story about Aladdin".

In some ways it's similar.

"You can promote skepticism really well on Twitter and on blogs. Just beware of some comments. Have I ever told you about the hate I receive? Yes? Well you can never repudiate misogyny too many times, so let me tell you once again..."

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Given that Mr Gallagher before her is talking about the very same thing the probability of the Watson Effect coming into force in less than 2 minutes is exponentially increased as to repeat the same idea so soon afterwards would likely bore the audience so she will instead use her time to speak on something *entirely different* and let the audience know that there is rampant misogyny and sexism in the atheist and skep.... oh - wait...