Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Munkhaus

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Munkhaus »

Steersman wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Apologies for interrupting the party, but i for one, was not seriously suggesting that dollgate was in fact evidence of latent racism, i was as usual taking the piss.

And just to be crystal clear, the warning from the Irishmens rights activists, was not serious either, since we're having to spell everything out for the kiddies. Did someone get the acronym?
Sure, and it's obvious in here. On twitter it looks like it looks like. If that's what you're after, fine. But unless I'm less drunk than usual (unlikely) it looks like hypocrisy. [what do you think MKG? Btw, I read "Why a Duck" as a much younger man]

Badger3k says: "I see it as a case of doing to them exactly what they do to others"

That's exactly what is wrong with it. Using their methods. As I say, in locations where it is obviously satirical it works, but in public it just looks like you're doing what "they" do i.e. deliberately bullshitting.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but if that was my reaction as a card-carrying shit-slimer, then perhaps a fence-sitter might be turned off. Shit, sounds like I'm an accommodationist!

tl:dr - being a cunt because they're being cunts... is that wise?
Ah, but mocking them by turning the same criticisms they have made of SlymePitters – and fellow travellers – back against them? Seems to be a case of highlighting their hypocrisy, a case of “hoist by your own petard” ....

Bah. "They did so I did..." Where do you draw the line with that justification?
Hoist by your own Picard. (Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yes well anyway the most important thing at this point is that the thread gets to page 69, which is a sex number.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Munkhaus wrote:

Thing is, we are not being serious. They seem to be, though...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I get what you're saying about fencesitters Munk.

My problem is i don't give a shit what they think, i'm not on a crusade to save the atheist movement from the fuckwits, i'm not actually interested in trying to convince the sheeple that they are being duped and fed false gods and dogma (i'm refering to the pz cult not xtianity here). Hypocracy, lies, deceit, and stupiditiy do genuinely piss me off, but i'm laughing at it, i find the a/s movement absolutely absurd in its idiocy, and how it is infested with fuckwits who have absolutely no sense of reality whatsoever, nevermind the overly dominant american centric crap. if someone gets awakened from their blind stupor because of the lulz then great. But it isnt my job to save them.

I'm a horrible horrible person, and the movement doesn't need me :D

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 pm
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:BTW. You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.
Well, I’m glad you concede that much – you might point that out to Scented Nectar.
I have been known to be wrong on occasion. I still believe the video would have been better had it been done when emotions about the DMCA nonsense were not so high. SN can make up her own mind.
Likewise about being wrong – sometimes I marvel that I haven’t wound up – yet – as a “Darwin Awards” statistic. But sometimes you have to roll the dice, call them as you see them, let the chips fall where they may, etc. Trick is not to double down on a bad hand afterwards – not always easy to do, of course, as we tend to wind up investing too much of ourselves in an idea or position and fail to see when it is no longer tenable – debacle at Stalingrad sort of thing.

As for the SN reference that was more a to-whom-it-may-concern message [much like your “embroider” reference, I might add ... ;-) ], rather than a request that you actually do anything about it yourself. A way of pointing out that if a regular here, someone with some “street-creds”, can see some justification in the argument then maybe it is worth a second look.
I try to look at all sides, if credible. I once made the mistake of picking up "I don't believe in atheists" by Chris Hedges in a bookstore once. I thought perhaps I should read the enemy so to speak. I could not manage more than a few pages and as I did not want to have to pay for the book because I had thrown it across the room, I put it back down. Gently.
I think reading an article by Jean Kazez would help you see where I come from. She is a much better writer than I will ever be.
Interesting article and good points, although it seems her credibility here is suffering somewhat – ah, the vicissitudes of fashion .... But I know what you mean about the “better writer” thing; frustrating at times that fashioning a post can be so tedious and time consuming. Practice and perfection and all that ....
Learn to sit on ones hands. A lot. That's my problem with twitter. It is way too easy to dash off a note when angry.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt, despite how angry your words appear to me.

Sorry if they came across that way, particularly as Sacha seemed to see some of them the same way, so maybe I was letting my anger,
Note I goofed by not making it clear I was talking about the general case. I always ignore and elide angry sounding phrases. They speak to my pineal gland not my mind.
exasperation at least, get the better of me. But I think that is a good point, one I’ve tried to emphasize in other posts even if MKG is less than impressed by my formulation, about the problematic nature of anger – as someone said a while back, rage seems to be all the rage these days.
I would suggest that when you get really incensed write it up give your article full bore both barrels then save it as a draft. Come back to it in 24 hours and edit it. You'll be surprised. After a while, you can do it without the 24 hour wait.
Although one might argue that many of the people here express some serious anger, with not a little justification, at the antics of some of the FTB crowd. Anger has its uses, but it tends to be a bit of the proverbial two-edged sword. You might be interested in this recent post over at Skeptic Blogs referring to a Scientific American article on “Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?”
I posted that article on here myself as I had already read it. I know the slimepit is being read by the skeptic blogs folk, but I think in this case I had read it from DC first. Not that it matters. I have been following ERVs blog for a long time, I followed the anger and disgust from the early days. I can understand the anger and the frustration. Myself? I despise bullies but I was a coward. Though I have written privately to support people bullied.
However, considering that Laden has threatened people's livelihood and I have been personally harassed and real life stalked by people from the Internet, I'd rather not here in public. I'd rather not have Laden or one of the crazier denizens of the FTB harass me.
Really a rather deplorable state of affairs that so many seem to be so ready to go off the deep end in defence of their dogma, so ready to use the end to justify the means. Maybe some justification at some point – whistle-blowing for a possible example – but when the means are frequently the antithesis of the ends the prognosis tends not to be particularly favourable. Reminds me of some “political action” against E.O. Wilson and something similar that may have been discussed here ....
I took the time to watch Cris' YT video. I would argue that any other time it would have been a reasonable video to have been made. I am seeing anger from both sides instead of logic.
I have not deprecated either Scented Nectar or CommanderTuvok's arguments at all. We are not joined at the hip.
Again, the problematic nature of anger in general. But “deprecated” was probably a poor choice of words – maybe even a “blond moment”; mea culpa and all that. What I meant was that, as indicated previously, your support for the argument tended, in effect, to discount or discredit to some extent the counter-arguments.[/quote]

Well Steersman it helps to understand the culture here and why people here are so upset. When errors are made here, they are acknowledged as people are adults here, it's really refreshing to see.

There is also one thing you have to learn about Internet Trolls and it is really simple, this is Internet 101. They are out for the Lulz as I said but they are also out for the attention. If you refuse to give them the attention for the lulz, they go away to troll somewhere else. It takes a lot of discipline to ignore them completely. Notice what happened here when we got spammed? This is something I thought Criss knew.

Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Munkhaus wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Munkhaus wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Apologies for interrupting the party, but i for one, was not seriously suggesting that dollgate was in fact evidence of latent racism, i was as usual taking the piss.

And just to be crystal clear, the warning from the Irishmens rights activists, was not serious either, since we're having to spell everything out for the kiddies. Did someone get the acronym?
Sure, and it's obvious in here. On twitter it looks like it looks like. If that's what you're after, fine. But unless I'm less drunk than usual (unlikely) it looks like hypocrisy. [what do you think MKG? Btw, I read "Why a Duck" as a much younger man]

Badger3k says: "I see it as a case of doing to them exactly what they do to others"

That's exactly what is wrong with it. Using their methods. As I say, in locations where it is obviously satirical it works, but in public it just looks like you're doing what "they" do i.e. deliberately bullshitting.
Maybe I'm over-reacting, but if that was my reaction as a card-carrying shit-slimer, then perhaps a fence-sitter might be turned off. Shit, sounds like I'm an accommodationist!

tl:dr - being a cunt because they're being cunts... is that wise?
Ah, but mocking them by turning the same criticisms they have made of SlymePitters – and fellow travellers – back against them? Seems to be a case of highlighting their hypocrisy, a case of “hoist by your own petard” ....

Well, you do have to point out that you’re only turning their own arguments back at them, that you aren’t seriously asserting it. Otherwise you only look as discreditable as they are ....

StueNever

Post by StueNever »

John Greg wrote:I have absolutely no respect for Rebecca Watson whatsoever. However, all the folks who are pointing to the picture of Watson thumbs-upping the black face dolls as being representative of some kind of morals/ethics slip on Watson's behalf are being ridiculous and completely missing the quite obvious point that she is being ironical/sarcastic by highlighting the ridiculousness of the dolls.

C'mon, she's an easy target to pick for all her other flaws, but there is no reason to play FfTB Baboolie and miss reality for the sake of trying to score points.
I think they're aware RW is being ironic in that picture, but they're also ironically suggesting that she's a racist for doing it anyway, because they're following the FTB and Skepchick "logic" that intent is magic. So if anything been done, said or shown can be interpreted as being prejudice or threatening then it automatically is.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

A Fascinating History of the "C Word"

http://www.alternet.org/fascinating-history-word-cunt

I think it's hilarious they use "C Word" in the title, but the URL...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Stue i invoke the prophet xxtina and the teachings of the great shrodinger, that proves that everyone would be justified in believing that twatson is a card carrying member of the KKK

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Seems to be the whole point of Franc's posting the pic. Come on, Munk, John and all, we've been through this for more than a year. Should be obvious!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

While we are being ironic (isnt that always?)-- I just found out some awesome stats about the Olympics--
This year, for the first time ever--
-- Women outnumbered men on the US Olympic team
-- Every competing country had at least one female
-- There were the most women competing ever

Douchebag Ophelia Benson-- Complains there arent enough women in an activity. Get enough women? Your activity is stupid anyway.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[youtube]OzVKG4b7EjU[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
.... Demonstrate you think by coming up with cogent arguments and stop throwing simian feces about then you will earn respect.
Ah, so that’s what you think I’m doing? Not a credible argument if at the same time you say “You are right about your assessment of the last YT video Cris did, up to a point.” Pointing to specifics and providing explicit counter arguments is one thing, tarring the whole lot with the same “throwing simian feces” brush is something else again - maybe even, one might argue, a case of doing that exact same thing ....
Pinch of salt, Steersman, pinch of salt...

You really need to get into the Pit's culture (yeah we're like a cult or something).

I won't ingraciate Abbie with a response to her lattest post, because I don't like olympics. Also, quite drunk and heading to bed, so my answer would be something like "Garrble baable feck drink girls).

SteveW68

"Me Too" guy

Post by SteveW68 »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
Dilurk wrote:As I said, these people are clueless about the Internet.
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
Surprising the degree to which everyone – well, a lot of people – say things like, “oh, that is a well-known X”. That might well be true, but frequently it seems equivalent to little more than known “inside a small circle of friends”. Which your example would seem to illustrate – you, and others here, might be surprised to learn that not everyone lives and breathes the Internet ....

But it seems that a more civilized approach is at least make some sort of oblique reference to links or definitions when there is the least possibility that a term might be misinterpreted ....

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
No, you're missing the point - that is the address she offered as "proof" of innocence in the twitter item above.
No I had not missed that, I just thought it was obviously stupid. Sorry I did not make myself clear. Sally has no clue about the Internet, how it works, what denizens inhabit it and even about memes. goatse being a well known meme.
Surprising the degree to which everyone – well, a lot of people – say things like, “oh, that is a well-known X”. That might well be true, but frequently it seems equivalent to little more than known “inside a small circle of friends”. Which your example would seem to illustrate – you, and others here, might be surprised to learn that not everyone lives and breathes the Internet ....

But it seems that a more civilized approach is at least make some sort of oblique reference to links or definitions when there is the least possibility that a term might be misinterpreted ....
Come on! Google, use it!

cunt

Post by cunt »

ERV wrote:While we are being ironic (isnt that always?)-- I just found out some awesome stats about the Olympics--
This year, for the first time ever--
-- Women outnumbered men on the US Olympic team
-- Every competing country had at least one female
-- There were the most women competing ever

Douchebag Ophelia Benson-- Complains there arent enough women in an activity. Get enough women? Your activity is stupid anyway.
People are actually watching female sports. There's nothing for Ophelia to complain about? Well, of course the next phase would be that men are perverts for admiring female athletes.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Re: "Me Too" guy

Post by ERV »

SteveW68 wrote:Floozie Canuck has a new post up:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
“The Other Atheist” is one of Franc Hoggle / Victor Ivanoff‘s pseudonyms, by the way.
AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

For the millionth time:
http://t.qkme.me/3olfwz.jpg

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

StarStuff, a soulless cunt says:
August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm ADT
I’ve wanted one of her necklaces for about a year, but I don’t usually have the money. But I will absolutely buy one once my financial aid is disbursed. I’ve had my eye on a few in particular :)
Damn you. Now my irony meter is broken.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]YDTb3OGlSe4[/youtube]

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Well, that DMCA sure worked wonders for her "business".

:think:

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]T2ebYMWiTXw[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dilurk wrote:
StarStuff, a soulless cunt says:
August 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm ADT
I’ve wanted one of her necklaces for about a year, but I don’t usually have the money. But I will absolutely buy one once my financial aid is disbursed. I’ve had my eye on a few in particular :)
Damn you. Now my irony meter is broken.
Soooooo, Stardust is Sally? I thought she was saving for a contraception device. Wait! Can Surelyramics be used this way? Ok, mental bleach now.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

[youtube]IvhsQfSWUfo[/youtube]

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Masakari2012, you beat me by one minute on that one. :)

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Scented Nectar wrote:Masakari2012, you beat me by one minute on that one. :)
Funny, I thought that I was going to get beat by a few seconds on that one. I was reading through 2 pages worth of posts here, just to make sure it wasn't posted by anyone else first.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
Continuation of your Internet 101 course.
http://knowyourmeme.com There are other sites with memes and meme generators. Check out reddit then you can graduate to 4chan.

Sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goatse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll and finally http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_phenomena

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

apparently in a dual attempt at drying up her revenue stream...

FOR SHAME!! A FTBully would NEVER try to interfere with someones 'revenue stream'!

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Ugh.
ERV wrote:
apparently in a dual attempt at drying up her revenue stream...
FOR SHAME!! A FTBully would NEVER try to interfere with someones 'revenue stream'!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
.... Pinch of salt, Steersman, pinch of salt...
Generally a wise idea ... the essence of skepticism for one thing ....but not always easy to keep in mind in the heat of the moment ...
You really need to get into the Pit's culture (yeah we're like a cult or something).
Takes some getting used to, although I appreciate that there isn’t much recourse to fainting couches and crocodile tears ... curious that there doesn’t appear to be very many Pharyngulites who are prepared to brave the waters over here ...
I won't ingratiate Abbie with a response to her latest post, because I don't like Olympics. Also, quite drunk and heading to bed, so my answer would be something like "Garrble baable feck drink girls).
I may not agree with what you say, particularly if I don’t understand it, but I’ll defend to the death (not necessarily mine) .... But looks like a noble sentiment ... as W.C. Fields said, “A man has to believe in something. And I believe I’ll have another drink.” Cheers!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Did Entity do that? Of course not. Instead, Entity filed a DMCA counter-claim, which means that the original claimant either takes Entity to court within ten days, or Entity can put back up the copyrighted work. Counterclaims are rare, because most people don’t know about them and don’t know how to tell what’s “fair use” and what isn’t. Counterclaimants are usually advised to do so on advice of a lawyer, because the whole process is nebulous and a total crapshoot, no matter who’s obviously in the right. On the internet, fair use for images is a bit weird, but it’s well possible that Entity could even win such a case, assuming it was even Amy who filed it in the first place. What gets me is the sneering intentionality of the counterclaim — that sense of “I’ll use your work then hurt you for trying to stop me”.
The audacity to counterclaim against something that was obviously an unfair attempt to censor speech! To stand up for yourself. Its fucking amazing, these people still think that they are the good guys and they think the reluctance of other people to bend over and get shafted is a character defect.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

The "Feck, Drink, girls!" was a reference to Father Ted. (father Jack Hacket, if you must know.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Ah re-read Kazez especially the part about 'be charitable' about what you read. As
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: said "Pinch of salt".
Learn to sit on your posts and calm down first, that is what I meant about your 'simian feces'. Do you understand now?

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

The "Feck, Drink, girls!" was a reference to Father Ted. (father Jack Hacket, if you must know.
"ARSE!"

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

cunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... avis-roth/
Did Entity do that? Of course not. Instead, Entity filed a DMCA counter-claim, which means that the original claimant either takes Entity to court within ten days, or Entity can put back up the copyrighted work. Counterclaims are rare, because most people don’t know about them and don’t know how to tell what’s “fair use” and what isn’t. Counterclaimants are usually advised to do so on advice of a lawyer, because the whole process is nebulous and a total crapshoot, no matter who’s obviously in the right. On the internet, fair use for images is a bit weird, but it’s well possible that Entity could even win such a case, assuming it was even Amy who filed it in the first place. What gets me is the sneering intentionality of the counterclaim — that sense of “I’ll use your work then hurt you for trying to stop me”.
The audacity to counterclaim against something that was obviously an unfair attempt to censor speech! To stand up for yourself. Its fucking amazing, these people still think that they are the good guys and they think the reluctance of other people to bend over and get shafted is a character defect.
Dishonesty called out by yours truly at comment 16...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SteveW68 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh dear, I may have not be clear enough. Use commas, dumbfuck that I am!

"ARSE!"
Also, yes.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Scented Nectar wrote:[youtube]IvhsQfSWUfo[/youtube]
I bet he has big ones too.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

From Thimbledoodoo:
First Thunderf00t posts a copyrighted image of hers in order to make fun of her, and the very idea of harassment policies. Amy tells him he does not have permission to use the image, and asks that he takes it down. He does, but replaces it with an image mocking her.
:lol:
Then a certain disingenuous and argumentationally-vacuous entity in our community, who claims both to be a leader and to represent the moral high ground of attacking people’s arguments instead of their person, posts a copyrighted image of Amy’s in order to try to cut her down. This entity — henceforth known as Entity (who will go unlinked, so I’m not accused of trying to ruin their reputation in a bullying fashion by pointing out their trollish actions!) — wrote the post to say that Amy is divisive and damaging to the community because she wants conferences to ban the parody jewellery, rather than what she actually suggested, that harassment policies would provide frameworks for complaining about being targeted for harassment like she had been. The entire post was a straw dummy, as is Entity’s modus operandi, but the post stood unopposed, unmentioned and unloved, until Blogger’s automatic DMCA takedown process reverted the post to draft status until the blogger in question could remove the offending image.

So people now have a rhetorical club to beat Amy with. Despite there being no evidence that Amy herself posted the DMCA takedown notice, it’s very probably her because she’s the copyright owner. But the action recommended in the takedown notice was to remove the offending content and the rest could be republished.

:lol:

Ah, Tibbywibbydoodoo, I wish I could say more; but accordinging to the email I got today, I can't. If you're lurking, consider the old Chinese curse: May important people take notice of you.

*Tigzy has been a low-down dirty rat!* :twisted:

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Lousy canuck is a total absolute gone fuckwit. Does anyone actually read his blog for anything other than to laugh at the cunt?

If fuckwit amy is so sure that theres a breach of her copyright taken place she should have no qualms about going to court. That's the fucking system of law we have in place canuck you dunse.

Canucks whole fucking argument is based on the idea that it's wrong to call someones bluff, and the bystander should feel sorry for the bluffer that they've been called. What is it with the baboon victim culture?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sorry to derail, but the Voltaire quote "I don't agree...but I will fight to the death" is not by Voltaire. It's by a biographer

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy you've got me intrigued

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Lousy Canuck wrote: “The Other Atheist” is one of Franc Hoggle / Victor Ivanoff‘s pseudonyms, by the way.
Since they're still clueless retarded enough to believe that franc is Victor Ivanoff, does that mean that they're intentionally doc dropping someone's "identity"? What would Natalie Reed say about that? Nothing, probably, considering they've been doing it for a good year now and she didn't utter a peep in protest until she feared it might happen to her. I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to even pretend to take any concerns they bring up seriously.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Za-zen wrote:Lousy canuck is a total absolute gone fuckwit. Does anyone actually read his blog for anything other than to laugh at the cunt?

If fuckwit amy is so sure that theres a breach of her copyright taken place she should have no qualms about going to court. That's the fucking system of law we have in place canuck you dunse.

Canucks whole fucking argument is based on the idea that it's wrong to call someones bluff, and the bystander should feel sorry for the bluffer that they've been called. What is it with the baboon victim culture?
I am sorry he is a canuck. What a waste of otherwise useful carbon and water.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

masakaria2012 at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 6700#p8083, thanks for that. GWW video is great just great. I am really looking forward to seeing if she gets around to determining who did this DMCA thingy.

And her comment (paraphrased): "If this turns out to be someone from the FTB or Skepchick communities I will shit my pants for joy"

Yippee!

Let's hope it is.

And, yes LousyTidybowl is a fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who onyy sees in pure black and white.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

masakari2012 wrote:[youtube]T2ebYMWiTXw[/youtube]
Bloody hell...have to say, if I was the person(s) who filed that DMCA claim against her, I'd be fair shitting meself right now.

GirlWritesWhat is clearly someone not to be fucked with.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Za-zen wrote:Tigzy you've got me intrigued
All I can say is that important people have been notified (by sneaky rat me). About something.*

As to whether anything will come of it - I don't know. Feckin hope so though. :lol:

*nothing illegal or unethical, I should add. In fact, it's very ethical. Very ethical indeed.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Sorry to derail, but the Voltaire quote "I don't agree...but I will fight to the death" is not by Voltaire. It's by a biographer
Interesting; learn something new everyday:
Wikiquote wrote:... first used by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, writing under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre in The Friends of Voltaire (1906),

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Girlwriteswhat is one serious cookie (this is not a gender term) i wouldn't want to have her call out an argument i made, because if she called it out, i'd need a serious timeout to reconsider my argument before defending it.

Dilurk, i'm working on the assumption that he's an anomoly, you more than rectify any slur on the term canuck.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

For those who wish to believe that sweet Beccy Whatnot is not a privileged white gal who has some suspicious leanings towards racism, please remember this tweet, which came up during The Thread's original incarnation:

https://twitter.com/rebeccawatson/statu ... 7006171136

She found it hilarious that people were comparing the African American cis-presenting heterosexual able-bodied male known as Chris Brown as a piece of broccoli. I think it was to do with his hairstyle, and I'm fairly sure there was a racistically photoshopped image to go along with the meme.

Time to browse the archives.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

:eusa-violin:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John Greg wrote:masakaria2012 at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 6700#p8083, thanks for that. GWW video is great just great. I am really looking forward to seeing if she gets around to determining who did this DMCA thingy.

And her comment (paraphrased): "If this turns out to be someone from the FTB or Skepchick communities I will shit my pants for joy"

Yippee!

Let's hope it is.

And, yes LousyTidybowl is a fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who onyy sees in pure black and white.
He might well be badly mistaken in his premises, his logic and his conclusions. But I really can’t see there is any credibility in arguing that he is a “fatuous, self-centered, woefully ignorant retard, who only sees in pure black and white”.

The problem is that he seems to make a very credible case – generally speaking as his references to Hall’s T-shirt and to Amy’s crying in her beer don’t add much to it – which, absent some serious digging and analysis and knowledge of past history, lead too many to give unthinking support to it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm curious about this excerpt from Teebo's 'Surly-Amy-is-really-nice-so-you-should-all-leave-her-alone-y'all' post:
My already favorable impression of Amy was redoubled when I found out that she’d nearly singlehandedly sent dozens of women to TAM over the years, organizing and running fundraisers and committing resources from her Surlys to that end. She had a great deal of help, but she was almost certainly the lynchpin. And she writes timely and important rallying cries when the movement needs them the most — and that’s what a leader does, even if they don’t necessarily want or accept that mantle.
A leader? O rly?

Does Beccy Boos know?

Is Beccy Boos planning to stand down, with reluctant heroine Amy ready to take the mantle?

Or does Beccy have competition amidst the skepchicks now?

To find out all this and more, stay tuned for our next episode of Dope...

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Re: that Lousy Canuck comment.

This is a great demonstration that the Baboons have no idea of cause and effect. They tried their damnest to tar TAM2012 with exagerrated threats about rape, harassment, and how DJ is a sexist pig. Plus, add Lousy's homophobia in the mix, and then you wonder why quite a number of the TAM2012 attendees were a little irked by the presence of some of those flinging the shit. The response came in the form of gentle and satirical T-shirt messages, and parody.

This pails into insignificance when compared to the abuse and vitriol thrown from the Baboons in the last year or so. I just get the feeling Amy and her frail supporters are just gutted that there are others in the A/S community (especially women - those "gender traitors") who are now actively opposing and challenging them.

Surly Amy - go and fuck off.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Thought this should get another airing.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 566034.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:I'm curious about this excerpt from Teebo's 'Surly-Amy-is-really-nice-so-you-should-all-leave-her-alone-y'all' post:
My already favorable impression of Amy was redoubled when I found out that she’d nearly singlehandedly sent dozens of women to TAM over the years, organizing and running fundraisers and committing resources from her Surlys to that end. She had a great deal of help, but she was almost certainly the lynchpin. And she writes timely and important rallying cries when the movement needs them the most — and that’s what a leader does, even if they don’t necessarily want or accept that mantle.
A leader? O rly?

Does Beccy Boos know?

Is Beccy Boos planning to stand down, with reluctant heroine Amy ready to take the mantle?

Or does Beccy have competition amidst the skepchicks now?

To find out all this and more, stay tuned for our next episode of Dope...
Not an implausible argument. Armies are made up of Sergeants and Corporals and Lieutenants and the whole rest of the hierarchy – all of whom might reasonably be called “leaders”, all without that implying any palace revolts in the making ...

Throw stones if you wish, but you might want to recalibrate your gunsights ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
Ah re-read Kazez especially the part about 'be charitable' about what you read. As
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: "Pinch of salt".

Learn to sit on your posts and calm down first, that is what I meant about your 'simian feces'. Do you understand now?
I understand that with that comment you are, in effect, categorically characterizing all of my posts [hint: “your posts”] as “simian feces”. Which sincerely looks like a very large pile of horseshit ...

franc

Post by franc »

Dilurk wrote:
franc wrote:
She had enough of a clue to map the IP to New Jersey. As far as I know she did that unassisted. That's the only way it clicked - I saw the fake TF give her the goatse mirror IP, on a whim did a location on it and <flashing lightbulb> it was New Jersey. I have a hunch though that she does not realise you can put a raw IP into a browser, so she may still be ignorant on that.

Dilurk

On privilege

Post by Dilurk »

It seems obvious to me that the misuse of the term privilege, is used by some as an excuse to be a bigot. As has been pointed out, the term only has relevance when used in general terms for a group. It is obviously true that if you are born into a rich family your education will be paid for, so it could be said you have 'monetary privilege'. No matter that this hypothetical someone might be blind, using your simplistic distillation they still have this 'monetary privilege'. As another example, saying "You have white older male privilege" therefore I can be a bigot against you, as they did to Dawkins, is sheer laziness. Instead of making an attempt to understand where someone comes from, you dismiss everything they say because you claim they have privilege. It's a really nasty form of the genetic fallacy. Dawkins had something to say across this cultural divide of UK vs. the USA that was badly mistranslated. With a bit of research, it would have been apparent that Dawkins knew very well what sexual harassment is like and that understands quite well what sexism is, despite his wealth. It is certainly true that we all have blind spots and biases, that's almost a tautology, but misusing privilege to dehumanize other human beings I find reprehensible.

Diane

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Not an implausible argument. Armies are made up of Sergeants and Corporals and Lieutenants and the whole rest of the hierarchy – all of whom might reasonably be called “leaders”, all without that implying any palace revolts in the making ...

Throw stones if you wish, but you might want to recalibrate your gunsights ....
Likewise, politically-motivated bodies - as opposed to armies - have been known for fractious infighting over leadership positions. Re: Thatcher's dismissal as leader of the Conservatives; the Blair & Brown infighting as regards new Labour (UK politics I know, so apologies if the reference seems irrelevant to you)

Also, it should be noted that Becky-Boos is kinda...ruthless, it seems to me. One need only see what she got up to when she was erroneously given admin priviledges at JREF (http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Watson). She's also pretty fame hungry, given recent posts on this forum about how she attempted to ingratiate herself with certain UK celebs.

No, I don't think Becky would be ready to give up her exalted position at Skepchicks without a fight. This is not to say that there is indeed presently a contest as such between Becky and Amy; but Amy's been getting a lot of press recently, and with Teeboo suggesting that Amy herself might also be a leader of sorts, I have a feeling that Becky will be keeping a beady eye on Amy at the moment.