Back to Conspiratoria

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Back to Conspiratoria

Post by Lsuoma »

windy wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I don't know why, given what a bunch of miserable assholes you all are, but I expected the pit to end on a more positive note.
That's not the half of it. :(

Au revoir Phil.png

Sorry to bear such bad news.

Thank you for your service Lsuoma, and happy retirement.

If anyone wants to go for some stupid gesture to honor Phil's memory on behalf of the Pit, don't know what that could be, but I'm in.

In any case, so long, and thanks for all the cunts. :cdc:
Fuuuuuuuu.

That is all. Phil was one of the early guys, like John Greg. Like John, he will get the appropriate rank. I will go and edit that now. Phil brought so much more to the Pit than a whole cohort of the cunts infesting it now.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And for those of you who want to know a bit more, go here:

https://myspace.com/fairylandfantasia

Sol Long, Phil of the Creepy Disembodied Hand.

John D

Post by John D »

Damn it. I followed Phil on Facebook but at a distance. Damn it. I am looking at the night sky over Lake Michigan and can see the Milky Way and I really need to stop crying and get my shit together.

John D

Post by John D »

And fuck off FT. You are acting like such an ass on the way out… Really… what the fuck is wrong with you? Asshole

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote: And fuck off FT. You are acting like such an ass on the way out… Really… what the fuck is wrong with you? Asshole
Fuck you up the wrong 'un.

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
John D wrote: And fuck off FT. You are acting like such an ass on the way out… Really… what the fuck is wrong with you? Asshole
Fuck you up the wrong 'un.
asshole

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

That too.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote: I just did something I have not done for many years, except to remove doxxing. I edited the post above to fix the formatting.

My no editing rule is going out the window here for a very simple reason. After a few months more than ten years, I am finally planning to close this down for posting this coming weekend.

The place is a complete travesty of what it used to be, and serves no purpose. I get the odd laugh from Ol' Burzho and a couple of others, but The Sloop John D., Cowboy Cavvers, and Service Dogshit have ruined it for lots of others, as evidenced by PMs I get, and looking at the table in my previous post, we have very few people visiting now, and very few of them posting (not even Steerzo any more!)

So, sometime this weekend I'm going to make The Pit read-only. I'll leave it up, and I'll spend some time collecting links to images posted, and work on creating a gallery topic, but it'll be a low priority.

I'm retiring in December, at just over 63 yo, so this seems like time to put this to bed.
Kinda sorry to hear it, but thanks to everyone for the conversations, links, debates, music and whatnot -- including the odd "bat signal". ;) Kind of a central clearing house for what was happening elsewhere on the Internet, where pretty much anything went. Particular thanks to you Lsuoma -- often wondered how you managed to put up with us all; most grateful you didn't ban me way back when ... :)

But hope you have a great retirement -- there really is something to be said for it, a chance to pursue interests that had to play second-fiddle in the work-a-day world.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

windy wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I don't know why, given what a bunch of miserable assholes you all are, but I expected the pit to end on a more positive note.
That's not the half of it. :(

Au revoir Phil.png
<snip>
Sorry to hear about Phil -- not even 45, but nice to see his wife, Alicja, say "nothing to regret".

Though appreciate knowing about it -- had seen bits and pieces about him on FB and had often wondered how he was doing.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

It's an extinction explosion/burst.

/sniggering

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

FT smells of pee, wears unfashionable clothing, can't fight and dances like a mental patient wearing an adult diaper full of hot cack.

https://c.tenor.com/nMd7buJR3i4AAAAC/tw ... r-arse.gif

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

You old softie, you ...😉

But I can't hear that song without thinking of Dr. Strangelove -- which may be somewhat more relevant these days:

Though that is maybe just "the nature of the beast" -- lurching from crisis to crisis, repeatedly teetering on the brink of oblivion and then pulling ourselves back from it to make the next step forward.

:) :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Steersman wrote: You old softie, you ...😉
It's very much an anthem sung by most British squaddies, especially whilst in our cups.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Speaking of beasts...my last ever 'pit guitar vid:

Morbid Angel!

\m/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhurzum wrote: Speaking of beasts...my last ever 'pit guitar vid:

Morbid Angel!

\m/
Meh. Y'only like this coz she looks like Twatson...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Meh. Y'only like this coz she looks like Twatson...
How dare you, sir! You take that back!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Here I go for final thoughts (possibly a little closer to finality than for most of you fuckers).

I'm sorry to hear about Phil, but hope he died on a motorcycle at extreme speed and enjoying the experience. He shall be placed alongside John Gregg in the non-existent afterlife.

JohnD, please carry on and drink yourself to death as soon as possible. Maybe even before your wife dies, as she will. My mother went with the same cancer with the same chemo regime in less than a year. Prepare yourself.

Service Dog, you are the Destroyer of the Pit. I don't want to hear about any of your ruminations, but you should know you have done more to destroy our host's patience than anyone else.

And talking of such posters, Steers, I respect you and your points of view. You'd convince others far more effectively if you weren't quite so dogmatic.

Lately, FTP and MarcusAu have been carrying the flag for the good old Pit. Bhurzum, you're a good lad and I wish you well in surviving Nicola's Brave New Scotland.

For the long lost posters, Blue Shift Rhino, comhcinc etc - fuck you all in the friendliest way!

FT, you deserve more applause than I can give.

I'm off as leukemia turns out to be less welcoming than Dick Strawkins suggested. Hope you all enjoy Covid, especially the vaccine deniers.

Bye now.

C.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

screwtape wrote:
JohnD, please carry on and drink yourself to death as soon as possible. Maybe even before your wife dies, as she will. My mother went with the same cancer with the same chemo regime in less than a year. Prepare yourself.

Service Dog, you are the Destroyer of the Pit. I don't want to hear about any of your ruminations, but you should know you have done more to destroy our host's patience than anyone else.
And here we see an incandescent display of what really destroyed the Pit. Deeply immature people who couldn't tolerate political differences on a free speech forum without blind, tribal rage.

Guest_9ed4f91b

Post by Guest_9ed4f91b »

Lsuoma, and the others here,

thanks for hosting this forum for as long as you have. I've rarely posted, and then mostly anonymously. But since Elevatorgate, I've often taken solace in reading here when the forces of anti-rational wokism threaten to supplant the ideals of the Enlightenment.

The various takedowns of Becky Booze and PZ by Mykeru and others gave me a laugh when I was incensed by the increasing excommunication of rational voices from The Brights/Atheism Plus / social justice atheism. More recently, this place has been a welcome respite from the forced pieties and struggle sessions of identity politics and racial reckonings and "respect the science, red-state bigots" that our new Woke religion.

Like you, I've been a bit distressed to see the infighting within the forum. But I've also been impressed by Service Dog's story telling and John D's candor about his family. And you, Lsuoma, gave me some hope one could survive as anti-woke even in the political correctness of California tech.

I don't know where I'll now turn for hope that the last two decades are some sort of prolonged aberrant reaction to the shock of 9/11. For hope that it's still possible to uphold Enlightenment values, to be an atheist without adopting a replacement religion of wokeness, to argue without special pleading for trigger warnings and the some animals are more equal than others "progressive stack", to escape the perpetual rancor of woke scolds. But i don't know where that community of like minds exists, or if it does exist. It will be a bit longer knowing the 'Oit has passed out of existence.

It has struck me as interesting that this forum hasn't discussed atheism as such, recently. I presumed it was because we all saw the the current threat to freedom of belief seems to come less from the god-botherews, and more from the left's various Culturally Revolutions of Purification. Also interesting was what appeared to be the slow right-ward drift, mirrored in my own politics, as we each recalibrate where we see the greatest threats.

Thanks again, enjoy your retirement, and thanks for giving us an alternative to the woke orthodoxy.

Guest_555bcbc5

Post by Guest_555bcbc5 »

Sorry about the typos: a bit harder, god-botherers, 'Pit. Cultural Revolution.

The forum editor fights with the autocorrecting mobile keyboard.

Hopefully the gist was clear.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

screwtape wrote: Bhurzum, you're a good lad and I wish you well in surviving Nicola's Brave New Scotland.
Back at ya with a tartan ribbon and a nugget of deep-fried shortbread on.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I volunteered to leave a year ago, if that would repair the pit. This place flourishing is more important than me participating. I also suggested:
"One alternative would be to be more-forthcoming about what's bothering you. Flesh out your grievances in words... see where that gets us." I even flagged my own post, to assure he'd see it.
FT declined those options. He refused to engage with me, except to call me insulting names & take occasional potshots from behind 'Ignore'. Apparently, I was a problem to complain about in private to others, but not to address in a civil way, or solve.
The myth that I'm -the- bad actor here is self-serving, to excuse the bad behavior of those making the accusation. Similar to when a pitizen was falsely accused of pedo abuse of his daughter/ but faulted for replying 'suck my ass' to the accuser. There's a deranged component to to the last few days on here.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Made it half way through then it became white noise.

Because attention span of a...wait, is that an icecream van I hear?

https://media4.giphy.com/media/3ofT5AX5 ... Es/200.gif

Note: I actually read the entire thing (it took three trips to the coffee pot but I made it!) and even though he does make some interesting and valid observations, he also makes more than a few that are questionable. Obviously, my own poor grasp of sociology, psychology, politics and culture (beyond screeching guitar riffs, samurai movies and tacky horror books) could be the reason why I struggle to accept several of his points.

I would go into more detail but what's the point? The 'pit is doomed and...*sniff*...we're all going away.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

When I showed up after a few years away I was shocked to see the pit was still going at all. It seemed to me the atheism schism (niche even at the height of its popularity) was ancient history. Of course even when atheism was current events this place was as much about the argument of the week as it was sticking it to the enemy. Credit where credit is due, I think RationalWiki nailed it when they described us as 4chan except focused on a very specific group of people.

As atheism waned in relevance and therefore did our mutual enemy, it was inevitable infighting would be the result. The rightward drift likewise was inevitable as it became apparent the cancer we were fighting was not confined to our obscure subculture (maybe that last one isn’t so apparent to all).

That’s my retrospective, or a small piece of it anyway, but what I really want to say is I loved this place for reasons that have nothing to do with whatever purpose it was ever supposed to have had and whether or not that purpose was achieved. The pit was a respite from the insanity of the world and helped me through some very difficult times. I’m very grateful to the lot of you, even if you hate me and each other.

Fuck off.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote: Here I go for final thoughts (possibly a little closer to finality than for most of you fuckers).
With one foot in the grave, and one on a roller-skate at the top of a long flight of stairs, I may well be closer that "final exit" than you. 😉

Though I figure all our lives hang by a thread.
screwtape wrote: I'm sorry to hear about Phil, but hope he died on a motorcycle at extreme speed and enjoying the experience. He shall be placed alongside John Gregg in the non-existent afterlife.
Indeed. No details forthcoming, but I too thought it might have been a motorcycle accident given discussions here of his forays into that sport.
screwtape wrote: <snip>

And talking of such posters, Steers, I respect you and your points of view. You'd convince others far more effectively if you weren't quite so dogmatic.
Thanks "C." -- I think ... Not sure about that "such posters" as I probably tried the host's patience myself more than a few times. 😉

But you might check out my own Substack -- think you'll find I'm a bit less "dogmatic", maybe the result of having a bit more "philosophy" and epistemology under my belt. Though that reminds me that Plato or Socrates said something to the effect that if one marries well then one will be happy, and that if one doesn't then one will become a philosopher ...

https://humanuseofhumanbeings.substack.com/p/welcome

Though I think that "we" -- i.e., society -- are rapidly coming to a crunch point, to a bottle-neck of sorts; that we -- as a society and as individuals interested in or committed to the survival of that society -- are simply going to have to stand up and be counted, have to draw a line in the sand, have to call a spade a fucking shovel.

Reminds me of a famous quote of Hannah Arendt:
“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist.”
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/811081 ... -convinced

And the blurring of that "distinction between fact and fiction" is no more evident than in the odiously dogmatic insistence, for example, that "transwomen aren't males". A rather egregious and toxic claim most recently peddled by "Raging Bee", over at "We Hunted the Mammoth":

https://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2022 ... nt-3690537

I attempted to show "her", one assumes, the error of her ways with a comment of my own, but I think I "blew my cover" since it never saw the light of day. Others here may wish to try their luck on that score ...

But I don't think we're going to turn the transloonie tide -- and forestall that total loss of that distinction -- unless we are prepared to say exactly what it takes to qualify as male or female. And to let the chips fall where they may. You may wish to take a look at my take on the related question of "What is a woman?" ;)

https://humanuseofhumanbeings.substack. ... is-a-woman

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jet_lagg wrote: When I showed up after a few years away I was shocked to see the pit was still going at all. It seemed to me the atheism schism (niche even at the height of its popularity) was ancient history. Of course even when atheism was current events this place was as much about the argument of the week as it was sticking it to the enemy. Credit where credit is due, I think RationalWiki nailed it when they described us as 4chan except focused on a very specific group of people.

As atheism waned in relevance and therefore did our mutual enemy, it was inevitable infighting would be the result. The rightward drift likewise was inevitable as it became apparent the cancer we were fighting was not confined to our obscure subculture (maybe that last one isn’t so apparent to all).

That’s my retrospective, or a small piece of it anyway, but what I really want to say is I loved this place for reasons that have nothing to do with whatever purpose it was ever supposed to have had and whether or not that purpose was achieved. The pit was a respite from the insanity of the world and helped me through some very difficult times. I’m very grateful to the lot of you, even if you hate me and each other.

Fuck off.

https://i.imgur.com/mEqCLkp.jpeg
Thanks for the lynx ... 😉

But you might be right about "a mutual enemy" -- our 2 minutes of hate that stretched out into 10 years. Nice to have a cause to fight for but it often becomes a case of the tail wagging the dog. "We have seen the enemy and he is us" as Pogo/Walt-Kelly put it more than a few decades ago.

Not sure that I envy Americans in your forthcoming elections. A very badly polarized society, very few people actually listening to the other side -- and on a great many issues, "gender ideology" becoming one of the more crucial ones.

Takes a great deal of effort and no shortage of intellectual honesty to look at things from different points of view:

Memes_ThreeSidesToEveryStory_Perspective1A.jpg
(40.45 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

But one of the bright lights may well be Substack, particularly since it doesn't exhibit the same failings and flaws that characterizes the "mainstream media" and far too many blogs -- including Why Evolution Is True where I have been "defenestrated" for challenging "conventional wisdom" ... ;)

https://mindmatters.ai/2021/08/why-so-m ... -substack/

Far too many "echo chambers" enforcing untenable orthodoxies of one stripe or another, the Slymepit being one of the few to buck that trend.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest_9ed4f91b wrote: Like you, I've been a bit distressed to see the infighting within the forum. But I've also been impressed by Service Dog's story telling and John D's candor about his family. And you, Lsuoma, gave me some hope one could survive as anti-woke even in the political correctness of California tech.
I got my first HR complaint against me within 2 months of starting at Oracle: my "The Internet is for Porn" mouse mat from Avenue Q was creating a hostile work environment.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: I got my first HR complaint against me within 2 months of starting at Oracle: my "The Internet is for Porn" mouse mat from Avenue Q was creating a hostile work environment.
I got my first "interview with no biscuits" (read: face-melting bollocking by my sergeant-major) for wearing a "Rage Against The Machine" t-shirt to a PT session. The "Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics" logo on the chest wasn't the problem, it was the "Fuck you - I won't do what you tell me" on the back (stark white letters on a black t-shirt) which caught the grumpy old bastards eye. However, I'm sure your interview was a less stressful affair and involved far fewer knees-to-the-chest, squat thrusts and running about carrying full Jerry cans/logs.

Ever the stubborn prick, I kept the t-shirt and continued to wear it until it was so washed out, it turned light grey and started to fall apart. I still think that t-shirt (and my addiction to amateur boxing/wrestling whilst boozed up) coupled with the spittle-flecked animosity it generated, was part of the reason why I turned into a hulking beast - tons of extra military P.T. will do that to a chap.

:lol:

Guest_55784a5b

Post by Guest_55784a5b »

Do there remain any fora for atheists not taken over by woke orthodoxy?

Any fora. in general, with people who champion Enlightenment values and freedom of speech and conscience, who are not woke and don't want to trash the Western canon, who are not racist but not anti-white, not xenophobic but against open borders, neither sexist nor anti-male, accepting of individual sexual preference but against drag shows in elementary school?

Or are our only choices MAGA Know-Nothings or the Woke believe anything, there is no objection truth only lived experience orthodoxy?

Where can I get a regular dose of politically incorrect free discussion?