Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by fuzzy »

Here's a screenshot toward the end of the credits in ST2: Wrath of Khan, at the time a youthful fuzzy was assigned the kobayashi-maru-like job of customer support for Digistar. This is the early 80s and Silicon Graphics isn't really there yet, so people like in e.g. John D's line of work used what were basically souped-up oscillocopes for real-time-ish 3d graphics needs, which my company made LDS also meant "line drawing system" up by the U of U. The nerdiest nerd I ever knew, Steve McAllister, as a skunk work or hobby whipped a program running on rt-11 on a PDP 1140 and Brent Watson engineered a powerful scope with some lens optics, and they attempted to market this as a planetarium system. Jeri was purely sales as was Neil. As I understand it, some of the starfield effects in that movie were filmed directly off of screens of the PS1 or PS2 picture system products we made at the time, and some of the things happening on screens next to people early in the movie especially during the Kobayashi Maru test where little gadgets whipped up by Steve using TECO text editor which he used for everything and I will guess still uses to this day. I'm told if it were possible to look closely enough that some of these you would see the word snave easter egger inside many of the graphics which is the word Evans spelled backwards and which was his nerd nickname.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Screenshot_20220320-111030.png
(249.72 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Fantastic - I love Natasha!

Great funbags, BTW...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote: Screenshot_20220320-111030.png
Microgramma - THE space typeface.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

:animals-duckie: new Russell Brand video has a Big Tech WIKIPEDIA WRONGTHINK label,
because he discusses The Great Reset.

:animals-duckie: recent Russell Brand video about THE VAX GIVES YOU VAIDS !!!!!!! gets
Big Tech Social Credit Wikipedia Seal of Approval!
No Warning Label !

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

E&S was a unique environment. Ivan Sutherland, sometimes touted as 'the father of computer graphics' was an MIT prof who rarely traveled to Utah, and a number of the employees at this relatively small company were MIT , and I fell in with some of them and really had a blast there. We played one Scrabble game where not only did all three of us get a 50-point seven-letter word bonus, and one of us got two of them. We did allow open dictionary, only when it was NOT your turn, because you could sometimes move fast to keep your opponent from fishing for ... I have seen the word squirrel played natural across both double-word score. I've seen things, things you wouldn't believe. Dave Evans was more pragmatic Mormon professor at the U, and these were times when only the state schools associated with more conservative States would allow certain kinds of shall we say Federal help in things like using computers for oh I don't know balancing satellites really really well for example. ,

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Gah yes I got to mention that the OTHER side of the business was where the real computer graphic money income was: flight simulators, where the competition were General Electric and Singer ...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

fuzzy wrote: E&S was a unique environment. Ivan Sutherland, sometimes touted as 'the father of computer graphics' was an MIT prof who rarely traveled to Utah, and a number of the employees at this relatively small company were MIT , and I fell in with some of them and really had a blast there. We played one Scrabble game where not only did all three of us get a 50-point seven-letter word bonus, and one of us got two of them. We did allow open dictionary, only when it was NOT your turn, because you could sometimes move fast to keep your opponent from fishing for ... I have seen the word squirrel played natural across both double-word score. I've seen things, things you wouldn't believe. Dave Evans was more pragmatic Mormon professor at the U, and these were times when only the state schools associated with more conservative States would allow certain kinds of shall we say Federal help in things like using computers for oh I don't know balancing satellites really really well for example. ,
The PS2 vector terminal was THE choice for protein crystallography. The PS300 which was a color, raster-based emulation of the PS2 was also pretty good, but for critical work the PS2 had the edge. It was fun programming them, basically using a bunch of nested transformation matrices.

John D

Post by John D »

WTF - No one knew this till now? The Easter Island statues have full bodies. I almost can't believe this.

https://themindcircle.com/head-statues- ... UWEIl-SHYs

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

John D wrote: WTF - No one knew this till now? The Easter Island statues have full bodies. I almost can't believe this.

This has been known since forever, you can see their full, unburied form abandoned in the quarries.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I was interested in the alt right interpretation of Ukraine. So dropped into Red Ice. They appear to think that Ukraine’s leadership is a Jewish tip of an American/Israeli spear which is in turn is a front for capitalisms globalist cabal(s).

The weird thing is, this is probably a reasonably accurate theory - in absolute terms. But the Red Ice simplistic cartoon determinist model is laughable.

Clearly Ukraine had been steaming into a more Western liberal inspired posture and into a yearning EU/American embrace.

The problem comes when your ideology blames Ukrainian leadership for betraying its people by having them fight their anti-woke Russian bros.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Funbags not as great as Nastasha's

John D

Post by John D »

fafnir wrote:
John D wrote: WTF - No one knew this till now? The Easter Island statues have full bodies. I almost can't believe this.

This has been known since forever, you can see their full, unburied form abandoned in the quarries.
Sometimes I think I am as dumb as a brick. Haha. Too many facts to keep track of. I am sure no one here will argue with me.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote: alt right interpretation of Ukraine. So dropped into Red Ice.
Today, in particular, I saw a flurry of 'Red Ice' types posting at reddit-MAGA-in-exile...

they all were talking about "Color Revolutions" as if they just learned the term.

They're saying woke/trans/blm/covid1984 was a Color Revolution in The US/ english-speaking world. (Are they wrong about that part?)

And that Putin is protecting his nation (and thus the world) from the globalhomo/LGBTQpedo Color Revolution destabilization Ops.

John D

Post by John D »

One of the more unusual concept albums in history. Cat Stevens... at his height of popularity releases an album about the personality of numbers. How zero comes in and changes everything. How nine feels lost and unimportant. How one is still the great spirit god of them all. How the other numbers realize they are a family. Strangely fantastic in my humble opinion.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

FTP wrote Oct 2018:
Alexandre Dugin:
“Ukraine should be cleared of the idiots. Genocide of the cretins is suggested. The evil cretins are closed to the Voice of the Logos, and deadly with all their incredible stupidity. I do not believe that these are Ukrainians. Ukrainians are beautiful Slavic people. This kind of appeared out of manholes as a bastard race.”
You are aware that the majority of Ukrainians don't want to be absorbed by Russia are you? These are the evil cretins of the bastard race he wants to exterminate. You seem to think that they may not want to be absorbed by Russia because of meddling westerners not because of long standing history. Do check out the Holodomor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
Dugin sounds a bit like Julius Malema. He wants to kill off bothersome white people too. Of course Julie would claim that Europeans and white folks

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote: Red Ice. They appear to think that Ukraine’s leadership is a Jewish tip of an American/Israeli spear which is in turn is a front for capitalisms globalist cabal(s).

The weird thing is, this is probably a reasonably accurate theory - in absolute terms. But the Red Ice simplistic cartoon determinist model is laughable.
Compare the Red Ice cartoon... to the version offered-by Russell Brand & guest journalist Nick Corbishley... which presents Jeremy Corbyn in the same role as Putin (an obstacle to the globalists/ who was cancelled on puffed-up anti-semitism accusations-- because he was unfriendly to corporatism & too-friendly to Brexit.) dovetails perfectly with the Red Ice version.

I think the journalist is on the mark when calls the World Economic Forum a govt-corporate hybrid version-of the United Nations.
(But I think he's really silly-- when he sez WEF is "almost" as powerful as the UN. The UN is laughably ineffectual & un-unified & non-threatening. A WEF corporate/govt/hybrid "UN" is far-scarier than the actual UN. I doubt the UN can freeze your bank account for donating to Canadian truckers.)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://media.patriots.win/post/x2hO3TcJ9hdl.png

If a type of person
cannot be criticized
then that type of person
cannot be a government official

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: FTP wrote Oct 2018:
Alexandre Dugin:
“Ukraine should be cleared of the idiots. Genocide of the cretins is suggested. The evil cretins are closed to the Voice of the Logos, and deadly with all their incredible stupidity. I do not believe that these are Ukrainians. Ukrainians are beautiful Slavic people. This kind of appeared out of manholes as a bastard race.”
You are aware that the majority of Ukrainians don't want to be absorbed by Russia are you? These are the evil cretins of the bastard race he wants to exterminate. You seem to think that they may not want to be absorbed by Russia because of meddling westerners not because of long standing history. Do check out the Holodomor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
Dugin sounds a bit like Julius Malema. He wants to kill off bothersome white people too. Of course Julie would claim that Europeans and white folks
What was my response?

The genocide he speaks of here is a a cultural genocide of non Russian outlook. I don’t think anybody doubts that Russian-ification will follow any takeover, destroying “in whole or part” the concept of 🇺🇦

Exactly the same construct that people found so risible in reverse with western multiculturalism.

Gotcha

free thoughtpolice

Brive wrote:
What was my response?
Actually that was directed to 3FJ.
But as you have answered it, it does make you sound like you think the cultural genocide of Ukraine is no big deal.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: you have answered it, it does make you sound like you think the cultural genocide of Ukraine is no big deal.
Take it from a bystander-- it doesn't sound like that at all. You're hallucinating.

Also, 3FJ's October 2018 opinion... aged better than f_tp's.
3FJ wrote: ↑

Get off your high horse. The point is a general one. And I would have thought that you were knowledgeable enough to know that Russia's relationship with Ukraine is a complicated one with a long history of Western meddling over which Russia has some legitimate grievance. Recent US meddling in the Ukraine far surpasses any of the overblown claims about Russian interference in the US. Not a fan of Putin's dictatorship at all, but it could be that the anti-Russian elements in the Ukraine are bad actors with Western support.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Brive wrote:
What was my response?
… [smip]

But as you have answered it, it does make you sound like you think the cultural genocide of Ukraine is no big deal.
😂

Really? I’m almost interested in discovering how you fell down that rabbit hole.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This war makes an interesting case study in the value spectrum of nationalism.

On the one hand you have Western cultural cringe which repositions “countries” as economic units which highlights minority views while prioritising global based wealth concentration. Key to this is devaluing traditional structures.

Then you have trans-National extremes. Nazi German was one example - where establishing the Germanic aryrian world required the dismantling of competing nation states and peoples. Russia is a modern incarnation of this toxic model.

Then you have the curious case of America where the facade of western democracy is used as a cudgel to beat down third world competitors. While internally globalistic reality and exploitation hollows the dream out.

Finally you have truly nationalistic countries who simply want to exist as a unique ethnic construct within established borders. Ukraine, Japan, Central European countries, Greece etc.

I know which version I support.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Brive1987 wrote: Then you have trans-National extremes. Nazi German was one example - where establishing the Germanic aryrian world required the dismantling of competing nation states and peoples. Russia is a modern incarnation of this toxic model.
My impression was more that they saw the world as some survival of the fittest competition for resources. It wasn't so much that dominating the world was their goal, but they believed the choice was between expansion, or falling into the sphere of influence of somebody more powerful and slowly dissolving into nothing.
Brive1987 wrote: Finally you have truly nationalistic countries who simply want to exist as a unique ethnic construct within established borders. Ukraine, Japan, Central European countries, Greece etc.
Are you sure that these aren't the same as the trans-national countries, just more constrained by their own weakness or with different incentives? If you take Greece, it's easy to be peaceful and stay in your borders if you are entirely economically and militarily dominated by the countries around you such that independently engaging in a war would be mean your destruction.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

John D wrote:
fafnir wrote:

Sometimes I think I am as dumb as a brick. Haha. Too many facts to keep track of. I am sure no one here will argue with me.
To be fair to you, this is frequently presented as if it was something new and surprising.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

fafnir wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Then you have trans-National extremes. Nazi German was one example - where establishing the Germanic aryrian world required the dismantling of competing nation states and peoples. Russia is a modern incarnation of this toxic model.
My impression was more that they saw the world as some survival of the fittest competition for resources. It wasn't so much that dominating the world was their goal, but they believed the choice was between expansion, or falling into the sphere of influence of somebody more powerful and slowly dissolving into nothing.
Brive1987 wrote: Finally you have truly nationalistic countries who simply want to exist as a unique ethnic construct within established borders. Ukraine, Japan, Central European countries, Greece etc.
Are you sure that these aren't the same as the trans-national countries, just more constrained by their own weakness or with different incentives? If you take Greece, it's easy to be peaceful and stay in your borders if you are entirely economically and militarily dominated by the countries around you such that independently engaging in a war would be mean your destruction.
There was more to Germany than a fear of missing their place in the sun. And I’m sure Greece has something to say about Macedonia and Cyprus. The distinction I was drawing was between nationalist countries that felt compelled to expand beyond their borders to reunite a broader set of “people” vs those who proudly existed within generally defined and self accepted borders. I don’t see Ukraine eyeing off Belarus as part of its destined living space or conjoined volk. And if Greece went for Albania or Asia Minor, it wouldn’t be because of 5C BC angst.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Did official figures overestimate Britain's Covid death toll?
The chaotic way mortalities were recorded during the pandemic could mean thousands were WRONGLY blamed on the virus

By EVE SIMMONS, DEPUTY HEALTH EDITOR FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 18:00 EDT, 19 March 2022 | UPDATED: 18:17 EDT, 19 March 2022

Did official figures overestimate Britain’s grim Covid death toll?
First, disturbing stories emerged from bereaved relatives of terminally ill patients who died from the disease they’d battled, only to be posthumously labelled Covid victims.

Then health chiefs admitted, embarrassingly, that the numbers they’d been feeding the Government were only an approximation – provoking fury from Ministers.

More recently it was revealed that a quarter of Omicron deaths included in the daily figures did not, in fact, list Covid as a primary cause.

More than two years since Covid-19 emerged, many feel they want a simple answer: how many were killed by this virus?

...The Mail on Sunday set about tackling the ongoing concerns that tests used to diagnose Covid were picking up people who were not actually infected.

...there were those who maintained that despite shortcomings, PCR swabs – used by millions – were accurate enough.

Yet one study suggested that as many as a third of all positive cases may not have been infectious at the time they took the test.

It not only means the true scale of the pandemic could have been distorted, but also that many people may have been forced to self-isolate unnecessarily.

Equally concerning is the idea that the UK’s stark and terrifying death figures – which were broadcast daily – were misleading and even overblown.

...new analysis from scientists at the University of Oxford and charity Collateral Global, shared exclusively with this newspaper.

The group combed through 800 responses to Freedom of Information requests made by members of the public to medical institutions such as care homes and hospital trusts, and found fundamental flaws in way Covid fatalities were recorded.

In total, 14 different terms were used to describe a person who had died with Covid – including ‘underlying Covid’, ‘due to Covid’, ‘involving Covid’ and ‘died within either 28 or 60 days of a positive test’.

Some hospital trusts required a positive test to certify a Covid death, while others didn’t.

Most shockingly, in care homes, deaths were certified by doctors making their inspection via a video call – and this was permitted due to emergency guidance introduced in April 2020.

The experts say this, coupled with the lack of testing in care homes, means it is likely that assumptions were made and Covid was wrongly attributed as the cause of death.
‘But if every health body is using a different definition, how do we know whether Covid has directly caused the death or if it was something else that was underlying?

One person convinced that non-Covid deaths were being blamed on the virus is Gary Wylde, a 59-year-old sales executive from Wolverhampton whose mother Jessie suffered from dementia as well as a severe lung disease that limited her ability to breathe.

When Jessie died in April 2020, doctors noted her cause of death as Covid-19 – despite her never testing positive for the virus.

‘The doctor explained to me that, in the absence of a test, doctors are encouraged to put down Covid on death certificates,’ said Gary.

Likewise Julie Perkins, a 57-year-old civil servant from Leicestershire, who believes her 83-year-old father Ted died after suffering a stroke in May 2020.

The retired road worker, who lived in a care home, also had a high temperature for six days and his death certificate stated he died of Covid-19 – despite a recent negative test.

‘We were extremely shocked when the GP wrote he’d died of the virus on his death certificate,’ said Julie. ‘It’s just not right.’

Concerns about Covid death figures first emerged in mid-2020 after it was revealed that the now-defunct Public Health England calculated its rolling toll simply by checking NHS databases to see if a person who had tested Covid positive at some point had died.

It did not consider how long before the death that a test result occurred.

A Government source admitted at the time: ‘You could have tested positive in February, have no symptoms, then be hit by a bus in July and you’d be recorded as a Covid death.’

The Government also began reporting a second figure – one that experts claimed was more trustworthy – compiled by the Office for National Statistics and based on whether Covid was written on a patient’s death certificate.

But worries began to emerge about the accuracy of this, too. Death certificates routinely list both the direct causes of death – the specific condition that killed that person, such as pneumonia or sepsis, and what led to that fatal condition or event developing, such as a viral infection.

They may also list other conditions that might have contributed to that person dying – for instance, if they suffered a long-term lung illness, or diabetes, that made the patient vulnerable.

These details are key, as it was long known that frailty and pre-existing conditions made people far more likely to die of Covid. The worry was that those who died due to long-term health problems, but happened to pick up Covid along the way, were being counted in the official statistics. This would be a distortion of the truth.

In early 2021, audits by the Office for National Statistics showed that roughly 90 per cent of the Covid deaths it reported had died directly from the disease – meaning Covid was listed as a primary cause on their death certificates, not simply a contributory factor.

But the Collateral Global report has now cast doubt over even this data. It uncovered more than 1,500 cases, across eight UK hospitals, where Covid was the only thing listed on the death certificate.

Epidemiologist Professor Tom Jefferson, a co-author of the paper, describes this as ‘implausible’.

It is well known that Covid deaths were vastly more likely in those with underlying conditions, such as heart disease or dementia, and so he adds: ‘It means we can’t trust what is written on that certificate.’

Lack of tests in the first wave of the pandemic may have compounded problems. A study by researchers at the University of Edinburgh, involving 80,000 Covid patients admitted to 247 UK hospitals between March and August 2020, found that in nearly a third of cases, no confirmatory PCR test was carried out.

Doctors working on the NHS front line during the first and second wave have told The Mail on Sunday they witnessed first-hand inaccurate medical reporting.

One intensive care specialist in the Midlands said: ‘There was an overwhelming focus on Covid because everyone was scared of it.

‘So often doctors assumed that the virus was responsible for the illness, rather than something else.

‘There were occasions where junior doctors would refer a patient to me who was suffering a common bacterial infection, but I was told to treat them for Covid.

‘In fact, they just happened to have Covid, but it wasn’t the reason they were seriously ill and went on to die. There were patients who came in with extreme blood loss following a traumatic injury, then tested positive for Covid.

‘Their cause of death should have been listed as shock and laceration, but Covid ended up on there.’

Perhaps most concerning is the way in which deaths were routinely recorded in care homes, where 45,632 Covid fatalities occurred.

At the beginning of the pandemic the Government issued emergency guidance that allowed doctors to verify a death remotely – via a video call or webcam.

This meant that care home staff would make the calls and hold the camera up so the doctor could see the deceased.

The doctor could write the death certificate based on this.

The Oxford researchers’ report found that in some care homes, half of all Covid deaths involved an incomplete death certificate, where only Covid was listed.
Prof Heneghan says: ‘Nobody was checking any of these deaths properly. You could just put Covid on the certificate and no one asked questions about it.’

The researchers say there is a possibility this means death counts have been an overestimation – but the opposite could also be true.

‘We’re not trying to say one way or the other, but the key is accuracy,’ says Prof Heneghan. ‘Was Covid really the predominant underlying case of death in care homes – or was it something else?’

Other experts are less sceptical, however. ‘Certainly for all the Covid deaths I witnessed, there was no doubt what they died from,’ says Dr Sue Crossland, an acute medicine doctor in an NHS hospital in the North of England.

‘In the first wave, patients severely ill with Covid had very distinct combinations of symptoms like blood clots and lung inflammation. It was unlike anything that any of us had ever seen before.’

Another sign that the Covid death figures aren’t an overestimate comes from looking at total numbers of excess deaths.

These numbers are the total of people who die of all causes on top of what is expected in an average year. Between March and May 2020 there were roughly 55,000 excess deaths in the UK, and 63,000 in the winter of 2020.

The winter figures are six times higher than the same period in 2019.

In 2017, during a bad flu season, excess deaths were the highest in more than 30 years – 50,000. But some say excess deaths can be explained by lockdown-related causes rather than Covid itself.

Research by the British Heart Foundation found that at least 5,000 heart-attack patients had gone without life-saving treatment between March and July 2020.

‘Some of the excess deaths will be people who missed out on care,’ says Prof McConway, emeritus professor of Applied Statistics at the Open University.

‘But the majority of excess deaths are clumped together in April and May. And most of the lockdown-related deaths, including people missing out on cancer treatment, wouldn’t have been so immediate.’

Prof Heneghan suggests that only a forensic analysis of historical Covid deaths will uncover the truth. He adds: ‘We should take a sample of deaths that had Covid written on the certificate and try to validate the accuracy.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Brive1987 wrote:
fafnir wrote:
There was more to Germany than a fear of missing their place in the sun.
I think they saw it somewhat more existential terms than that, somewhat like Putin and Ukraine.
Brive1987 wrote: And I’m sure Greece has something to say about Macedonia and Cyprus.
Yes indeed, but nobody cares since they lack the strength to do anything about that.
Brive1987 wrote: The distinction I was drawing was between nationalist countries that felt compelled to expand beyond their borders to reunite a broader set of “people” vs those who proudly existed within generally defined and self accepted borders.
I'm not sure that there are too many cases of countries expanding to reunite their peoples simply for the sake of reuniting their peoples. Normally you will have some idea of an external threat to this people that military action is required to counter. In the case of Russia, you have NATO and the whole business with the treatment of Russians in the Donbas. What example of countries expanding to reunite their peoples are you thinking of?
Brive1987 wrote: I don’t see Ukraine eyeing off Belarus as part of its destined living space or conjoined volk.
Well, they couldn't.... and what would be the motivation? Maybe if Belarus were systematically abusing Ukrainians just over the border, or if there was some geopolitical threat that some greater-Ukraine would be better able to tackle?
Brive1987 wrote: And if Greece went for Albania or Asia Minor, it wouldn’t be because of 5C BC angst.
Again, if you want to compare this to previous times where some country has expanded to "unite its people", you need to add some kind of threat narrative. What is the threat to the Hellenistic peoples that they are uniting to tackle? What is the purpose in this scenario?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Um, look up "irridentism" to see countries that want to "exist as a unique ethnic construct within established borders." In particular, since you have a very strong interest in WWI look up "Serbia" and "the Balkans" to see how well that can work.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Back in the early nineties, I knew a very nice Serbian gal, whose father was a renowned philologist back home who'd 'proved' that Kosovo rightly belonged to Serbia, because some medieval poem written in Serbian mentioned it. (Similar to French claims that Alsace had always belonged to France because a certain French lexicon had been written in Straßburg in the middle ages.)

She had a very unpleasant friend who once very loudly and very drunkenly informed me that, aside from their use of a different alphabet, Croatians were indistinguishable from Serbs and thus should not be allowed independence. I replied that the Croatians thought differently. "It doesn't matter what they think," he shot back.

Miljana was her name. The only not-obnoxious Serb I've ever met. Very pretty, despite having that tiny Serbian skull.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Very pretty, despite having that tiny Serbian skull.
I knew a pretty Russian with a head like a grapefruit. So... roll the tanks!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D

Post by John D »

Tell me Kamala... Is there significance to the passage of time? Haha... this will definitely end up on "Gutfeld!" tonight.

Dear god. I never liked her...but... for a while I thought she had some talent. I really wanted to like her. Damn. She is so disappointing. What a nit wit.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lost touch with my best friend from after-college.
She moved to Portland.

Now she's visiting nyc with her son, who is a 15 year old "they/them" non-binary pansexual who dresses like David Bowie & changed his name to something-like "Diaphanous"

We had one conversation about their visit-- which was left kinda open-ended.

Then we texted-- just restaurant recommendations & advice on how to commute from the airport.

But I had dread about possible friction.

I'm the one who changed: from drag-queen-friendly to drag-queen-skeptical.
And my former love of The Clash & Public Enemy doesn't extend to Antifa & BLM.

At this stage of my life, I consider friends to be incredibly rare, so I thought it was worth
giving the reunion a try, rather than pre-emptively quit, to avoid hopes rising/getting dashed.

I wrote...

I'm undecided whether it's worth giving-a-try.
I have a light headache, just thinking about it.
Battery drain.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I see an irony in "as the parent of..."

The Other Side are the ones who think parents' opinions & rights matter.

I doubt my friend wants to chat with me about that.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:49 pm
FTP wrote Oct 2018:
Alexandre Dugin:
Dugin is nothing like Malema. Malema is an opportunist rabble-rouser with an incidental hatred of white people and a love of BMWs, champagne and other people's money. Quite amusing to see the man arrive in a BMW SUV to address his nutty fans in his red "man of the people" beret. He no doubt retires to the flash accommodation afterward to run up a bill on booze and prostitutes.

Dugin was fired from Moscow Uni for those comments and there is little evidence that he is at all influential within the contemporary Kremlin. He is yesterday's Rasputin.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:58 am
Back in the early nineties, I knew a very nice Serbian gal, whose father was a renowned philologist back home who'd 'proved' that Kosovo rightly belonged to Serbia, because some medieval poem written in Serbian mentioned it. (Similar to French claims that Alsace had always belonged to France because a certain French lexicon had been written in Straßburg in the middle ages.)

She had a very unpleasant friend who once very loudly and very drunkenly informed me that, aside from their use of a different alphabet, Croatians were indistinguishable from Serbs and thus should not be allowed independence. I replied that the Croatians thought differently. "It doesn't matter what they think," he shot back.

Miljana was her name. The only not-obnoxious Serb I've ever met. Very pretty, despite having that tiny Serbian skull.
Met only one Serb that I know of and he was a very friendly fellow. Sat me down for Turkish coffee while he told me about his escape via Sweden from the Serbian draft. Of course we were in his plush taxpayer funded flat in North London while I was selling him one of my prized toys in an effort to stay fed. He couldn't understand my need for cash with the govt being so generous with benefits. I tried to explain to him that the chances of my getting anything out of the govt in my circumstance were remote even if I wanted to, which I didn't because visiting benefit offices gave me a distinct feeling of inadequacy.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote:
.... What a nit wit.
Have to agree with you there - for a change ... ;-)

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: I see an irony in "as the parent of..."

The Other Side are the ones who think parents' opinions & rights matter.

I doubt my friend wants to chat with me about that.
You should see your friend. Things always go better in person. What did you like about your friend? Can you go to the Guggenheim or something where you can talk about art? Just the art. Just the history of art. Don't go to see modern art because it will be full of political imagery. Or go to the Natural History museum... or Elis Island. You should see your friend.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My high school buddy's dad was a brain surgeon. Said the Albanians have the thickest skulls of all, while the Serbs have the smallest. No wonder the Serbs get so angry whenever they knock heads with the Albanians.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:
Um, look up "irridentism" to see countries that want to "exist as a unique ethnic construct within established borders." In particular, since you have a very strong interest in WWI look up "Serbia" and "the Balkans" to see how well that can work.
Learn something new every day ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irredentism

Though it seems that the only solution is ... "population transfer" ... ;-)
The first known population transfers date back to Ancient Assyria in the 13th century BCE. The last major population transfer in Europe was the deportation of 800,000 ethnic Albanians, during the Kosovo war in 1999.[1] The single largest population transfer in history was the flight and expulsion of Germans after World War II, which involved more than 12 million people. Moreover, some of the largest population transfers in Europe have been attributed to the ethnic policies of the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer

Not just the Muslims who can't live with anyone else, though they may take first prize in those sweepstakes.

But those looking askance at my defense and promotion of Wikipedia might like this latest from Neil Oliver - with a Scottish accent that one could cut with the proverbial knife - an interview of one of the founders of Wikipedia, Larry Sanger:

"Wikipedia co-founder tells Neil Oliver: The Establishment Left radicals have taken over the website"

Though even Sanger more or less accepts that "taken over" is a rather extreme characterization - certainly a lot of rot and wokism there, but that hardly detracts much from its general value.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: You should see your friend. Things always go better in person. What did you like about your friend?
Good advice. I liked that she was a Laverne & Shirley kinda gal... blue-collar milwaukee... similar class to me/ despite our college-town academic/hipster surroundings... we were both a little too 'bowling alley' to fully fit-in there. And that hasn't changed.

John D

Post by John D »

Had a nice chat with my neighbor. He just got laid off with a 6 month severance. He is 50 now and worried about getting a decent job as a Sales Engineer. There is not much hiring in the Auto Industry right now. I tease him that he is on a six month vacation, but we both know he needs to find something if he wants to maintain his retirement plans.

We talked about the chip shortage and how it is getting worse. The war making things even worse. And he just changes the topic to transgender stuff. We have chatted before on various topics so I think he trusts that he can be open with me. It is interesting that he piles the trans topics in with all the other chaos he sees in his life. A pile of problems. Interesting times.

I said that I didn't care how someone identified, but that transwomen should not compete in sports with biological women. On this topic we heartily agreed. And I found it really interesting that we used the same terms to discuss the topic. Transwoman... biological woman... hormone treatment. It is interesting how this is moving into the mainstream.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
<snip>

:animals-duckie: recent Russell Brand video about THE VAX GIVES YOU VAIDS !!!!!!! gets
Big Tech Social Credit Wikipedia Seal of Approval!
No Warning Label !

https://i.imgur.com/YRgWhf2.png
Where does RB saying anything at all about "VAIDS"? More of your signature cutting from whole cloth? :think: :roll:

Speaking of which, any plans afoot to admit that you were blowing smoke out of your arse about AP's fact check?

SlymePit_ServiceDog3735_VAIDS_1A.jpg
(120.23 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Don't think you have a clue about the difference between declining effectiveness of Covid vaccines - which is typical of many vaccines - and the infection of immune cells which is what AIDS is all about:
“AIDS is a generalized body-wide compromise of a specific subset of immune cells (mostly CD4+ lymphocytes) caused specifically by infection with the HIV-1 virus,” said Dr. Grant McFadden, director of the Biodesign Center for Immunotherapy, Vaccines and Virotherapy at Arizona State University.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 0957fc413d

Never let the facts get in the way of peddling some fakenews - amirite? :roll:

Though, en passant, I was kind of amused to see that Brand seems to have picked up his "style" from "Howard Beale" ;-)

free thoughtpolice

Brive1987 wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Brive wrote:
What was my response?
… [smip]

😂

Really? I’m almost interested in discovering how you fell down that rabbit hole.
You comparing immigration to the war in Ukraine. How many hospitals, schools, and apartments have immigrants been levelling in Australia? Proud Australians now being rounded up and sent to work camps in the remote interior of China?
They look like very different things from the rabbit hole I'm in.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Steersman wrote: But those looking askance at my defense and promotion of Wikipedia might like this latest from Neil Oliver - with a Scottish accent that one could cut with the proverbial knife
Are you fucking kidding me???

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

John D wrote: <snip>

I said that I didn't care how someone identified, but that transwomen should not compete in sports with biological women. On this topic we heartily agreed. And I found it really interesting that we used the same terms to discuss the topic. Transwoman... biological woman... hormone treatment. It is interesting how this is moving into the mainstream.
Good to see that it is becoming more "mainstream" - the whole issue is a clusterfuck of the first water, and an egregious medical scandal little short of the Tuskegee syphillis study.

Both you and your neighbor might like Andrew Doyle's latest:

Don't think the title really does justice to his argument and his barely restrained anger, but he really nails a couple of problems with the whole issue. Of particular note is his question to the NHS, at about 3:35, as to whether "it is still NHS policy to speak of ‘sex’ to the public when ‘gender’ is what is actually meant?” That seems to be one of the major sticking points, the general conflation of sex and gender - two entirely different kettles of fish, to coin a phrase.

free thoughtpolice

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
FTP wrote Oct 2018:
Alexandre Dugin:
Dugin is nothing like Malema. Malema is an opportunist rabble-rouser with an incidental hatred of white people and a love of BMWs, champagne and other people's money. Quite amusing to see the man arrive in a BMW SUV to address his nutty fans in his red "man of the people" beret. He no doubt retires to the flash accommodation afterward to run up a bill on booze and prostitutes.

Dugin was fired from Moscow Uni for those comments and there is little evidence that he is at all influential within the contemporary Kremlin. He is yesterday's Rasputin.
His ideas live on in the policies of todays Russia, even though his most influential work was published years ago. His revival of Eurasianism clearly has influenced Putin's policies. Even though he isn't in Putin's inner circle his ideas still resonate with today's Russian policies.
Putin's speeches today echo Dugin's call for genocide and dehumanization of the Ukrainian people.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote:
Steersman wrote: But those looking askance at my defense and promotion of Wikipedia might like this latest from Neil Oliver - with a Scottish accent that one could cut with the proverbial knife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Xvv8yRwqg
:-) I stand corrected ... ;-)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote: irridentism
The Pan-Slavic movement was an example of the nebulous expansion closer to nazism and current ‘pan-russianism’ than my preferred model. It died during WWI.

The breakdown of Jugoslavia demonstrated the lack of consensus nationalistic consistent geo-boundaries. Meaning the region is unsuitable for my model.

Right now, there aren’t a lot of serious pan-x movements in developed countries which seek unification of existing sovereign states. It’s possible the EU fits in an insipid soft values based way.

Sweden and Norway in the 1950s and 60s don’t fill me with fear.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:58 pm
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
FTP wrote Oct 2018:
Alexandre Dugin:

His ideas live on in the policies of todays Russia, even though his most influential work was published years ago. His revival of Eurasianism clearly has influenced Putin's policies. Even though he isn't in Putin's inner circle his ideas still resonate with today's Russian policies.
Putin's speeches today echo Dugin's call for genocide and dehumanization of the Ukrainian people.
That some of Dugin's work coincides with elements of Kremlin policies is not evidence that they were significantly influenced by him. Ivan Ilyin is a more likely influence than Dugin. If Dugin has any use to the Kremlin it is through his interactions with Westerners. To a large extent Dugin's influence is a myth created in the West.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:30 pm
My main reason for posting that is to show how much the alt right want to downplay the outright illegality of Putin. ....
Zelensky is not a saint. So what?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

John D wrote:
Tell me Kamala... Is there significance to the passage of time? Haha... this will definitely end up on "Gutfeld!" tonight.

Dear god. I never liked her...but... for a while I thought she had some talent. I really wanted to like her. Damn. She is so disappointing. What a nit wit.
Watching her try to bluff her way through that as if she wasn't totally out of her depth was pure cringe. Does she really think she's fooling anybody with that? Being on the world stage, she can't fake it anymore. She doesn't have nearly enough talent. I'm easily the least eloquent here, and I still could do way better than that.

Kamala is basically the way people describe her in Fox News comment sections.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Gumby wrote:
John D wrote:

Watching her try to bluff her way through that as if she wasn't totally out of her depth was pure cringe. Does she really think she's fooling anybody with that? Being on the world stage, she can't fake it anymore. She doesn't have nearly enough talent. I'm easily the least eloquent here, and I still could do way better than that.

Kamala is basically the way people describe her in Fox News comment sections.
The only way I can explain her is that she is deliberately being hung out to dry or she considers herself above mundane things like doing the prep work. Other than that she defies explanation.

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Lsuoma wrote:

Did you just dox Bhurzum? :shock:
► Show Spoiler
Pseudomonas

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Pseudomonas wrote: Did you just dox Bhurzum? :shock:
Rab C. Nesbit is too high-brow to be me - he's all fillosofikul and shit.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote: truly nationalistic countries who simply want to exist as a unique ethnic construct
Fur woke-volk und Fuhrer ... woke ethnonationalism...

John D

Post by John D »

Haha Steers… I really did enjoy your clip… “I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it anymore!”

You made me laugh tonight and I almost opened my window and screamed this… but my wife is in bed… so yeah. I will save it for the right time.