Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
fafnir

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote: Is that your "final answer"? ;-)
You went back a month to find me including the word Science as well? What's wrong with you? Are we having a debate where we try and understand each others positions and respond to them or are we trying to score cheap wins?

I'm trying to keep away from involving Science because rationalism is deeper in my mind and is a clearer thread going back to the 18th Century.
Steersman wrote: Haven't got a clue what "Burke's argument" was about the French Revolution.
Maybe it would have been productive to mention that at an earlier point in the conversation after I repeatedly told you Burke's argument was the one you needed to answer. When you aren't interested enough in your opponents' argument to say you are ignorant about the core of it, are you even engaged in a debate?
Steersman wrote: Though it seems he was clearly pandering to the religious, to "magical thinking":
Burke was a proponent of underpinning virtues with manners in society and of the importance of religious institutions for the moral stability and good of the state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke
No, he isn't pandering to religion. If you read him, you would know that. His argument isn't about religion. It is about society and the institutions of society as a whole.
Steersman wrote: You going to join or part company with him on that?
Am I going to join or part company on him doing something that somebody who hasn't read him says he did? This isn't a defence of Burkes entire position on everything. What's your plan, go back and find some position on Irish nationalism, or some such, that Burke held in 1880 and demand I defend that? I'm agreeing with him on a particular argument he made and that I have repeatedly restated.
Steersman wrote: Doesn't look at all like the latter. That's the crux of the matter which you seem rather desperate to avoid dealing with.
When ever I state the core argument you vear off 90 degrees and start talking about something else, like whether I used the word "Science" once a month ago. It's been weeks and you still haven't responded.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: As I've mentioned and argued in some detail which you rather pigheadedly refuse to address, you really might want to consider that there is a difference between a tool, on the one hand, and the uses and misuses to which it is put on the other hand. ....
..... Again, this isn't a criticism of liberalism or rationalism per se, but the progressive versions of both as you, Dawkins, the SJWs, etc... all variously and in different forms support.
Kinda looks like a "criticism of rationalism [and science] per se".
No it isn't. Science is great for calculating the distance to the moon and other remarkable things. It falls apart in other areas though - the three body problem for example. Rationalism is the same. Good for some things, but you can't build a society on it. You need traditions, morality and so on that can't be justified rationally.
Steersman wrote: But not sure what specifics you have in mind for those "progressive versions", but it still looks like you're trying to tar all of rationalism with whatever failings you think they entail.
No. "Progressive liberalism" is a term in political science. At it's simplest, it's when you think liberalism should be imposed. The Civil Rights act, for example, would be a classic example of progressive liberalism, as would almost everything done by FDR, the plan to turn Afghanistan into a liberal democracy. Progressivism requires a big, centralised, bureaucratic state to implement and enforce these liberal solutions. That is what I'm against.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: There are - as I've frequently taken some pains to emphasize - a few flies in that particular ointment. ....
You can base a society on reason, or rather you can try, or you can base a society on experience. ...
You remind me of Kierkegaard - Mr. Either/Or as the street urchins used to call him. Which probably says something favourable about the culture then, at least in Denmark.

But they're not mutually exclusive methodologies; each will be better in some cases and not in others.
The French enlightenment mode of thinking that you are using to argue for normalising prostitutes being school teachers is the wrong methodology.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Steersman wrote: And likewise the scientific method itself which tests those intuitions and hypotheses against the "brute facts" of "reality"
But that's not what happens, and it can't happen for any of the questions we have been discussing.
Doesn't happen where? In science? Ethics? Why the fuck do you think I quoted Huxley?
Is social policy ever tested to find out if it was a good thing? How would you test the overall impact on society of normalising prostitutes being teaches?
Steersman wrote: But try thinking about tools, their uses and misuses; about their optimal range of applications. See Medawar - there IS some relevance to "soluble".
The is nothing wrong with rationalism and science as tools. The issue is when you try and make society rational. It's like trying to solve the three body problem. Again, for the umpteenth time of asking..... how in principle would one measure the long term impact of normalizing prostitutes being teachers.
Steersman wrote:
fafnir wrote: l As I asked you before... What test could be devised of the long term effect on society and the culture of doing things like normalising prostitutes being school teachers as you recommend, changing the popular understanding of female to include men in dresses, or the UK leaving The EU. There isn't even a single way of implementing any of those questions. We aren't Dr Strange. We can't check all the possible futures.
Where have I said anything to the effect that all school teachers should be or should have been prostitutes?
I haven't said that either. I hope this is you trolling again. If not, do you actually understand anything about the position of the people wanting to call men in dresses "women". Normalised in sociology just means that it is regarded as a natural thing not worth remarking on. Billy's teacher being a prostitute is no more remarkable than that she has brown hair, or likes to knit. That knitting is normalised does not mean every single person knits all the time.

This is one of the words you might want to look at fixing when you rule the world. It means something quite different in mathematics. One meaning is needed, or communication will be impossible and words will mean anything anybody wants them to mean.
Steersman wrote: But do you seriously think that I'm arguing that "men in dresses" should be considered as "females"?
No. I'm arguing that it isn't possible to design an experiment to tell what the overall impact on society will be. Nor do I think it possible to predict this on purely rational grounds. One can maybe say that Western societies that go in for this tend to be on the brink of falling apart, but whether there is a causal relationship or they are symptoms of something else or it was just a coincidence really it isn't possible to say with any kind of confidence. There is always so much else going on in society. Again, if you can think of an experiment, let me know.
Steersman wrote: How do you think that idea is working out?
Badly, but of course I would think that. I have a different set of assumptions about people and society than the people pushing this.
Steersman wrote: You seem to "think" that any criterion to qualify as "female" is as good as any other one.
Probably not. The traditional way of thinking about it seemed to have managed OK for a few thousand years, so I'm inclined to think there isn't anything intrinsic to it that is destructive to society.
Steersman wrote: That you refuse to specify any such criteria is exactly what gives free rein to those who claim that male transvestites qualify as females, and to the thugs and psychotics who follow in their wake.
No it isn't. The destruction of tradition's place as a guide by progressive liberalism is what allows these things to happen. Once you push tradition aside in the name of the Cult of Reason, then the question arises - who gets to decide what is reasonable? Steersman, it isn't you that gets to decide it. Trans-women being women is what happens when you build society on reason. I know, I know.... a True society based on Reason has never been tried.... On a more positive not, on past form Napoleon will soon be here. At that point the Cult of Reason ends and maybe something like your definition arises out of the ashes, who knows?
Steersman wrote: You really don't seem to have a clue about the logic of definitions and the principles behind them - and despite me making some effort to explain them, notably through reference to the science of taxonomy, and the concept of intensional and extensional definitions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension ... efinitions

There's NO intrinsic meaning to the word "female" - it means whatever "we" say it means.
This is true of all words.
Steersman wrote: But if it means everything and anything then it is literally meaningless and pretty much worse than useless.
No, because we have as cultures developed these words and as babies learn their socially defined meanings. Old women being female is something that you learn in early childhood. Language doesn't work in the way you claim.
Steersman wrote: However, some definitions are more useful and of broader application than others; there's some rhyme and reason to the process.
Sure, I've never claimed that wasn't the case. These things are developed socially and evolved through use. We don't have an Academie Francaise fixing these meanings for us. If we did, it would be riddled with SJWs and you would find it disagreed with you.
Steersman wrote: And the standard biological - and lexical - definition is "produces ova": no tickee, no washee. People don't get to make up their own definitions.
People already did. The word female has been in use for many centuries and has always included old women. The fact that some other people made up their own definition for use in another context doesn't change that. If there was a central committee deciding the meaning of words like some Kafkaesque horror, they would be SJWs and you wouldn't like what they decided.
Steersman wrote: As they don't get to drive on any side of the road they want and whenever they want.
That isn't how language works. Police don't pull people over for saying "axe" instead of "ask". These things evolve organically in society. Language is not a rationalist enlightenment project. Esperanto was, and as we see that is wildly successful and everybody loves it.
Steersman wrote: So what if "there's no way of knowing" whether the cards are going to give a full house or a busted flush?
If I'm wrong, tell me what the experiment would be to determine the long term effect on a society and culture of changing the definition of female, or woman.... or normalising prostitutes being teachers. What is the experiment you have in mind?
Steersman wrote: Science in general - quantum mechanics in particular - is less a matter of what will always happen in a given situation, and more one of what will happen most often, or most probably, and in most similar situations. We're not omniscient - few of us in any case - so, whether we use science and rationalism or not, we still have to roll the dice, play the odds, "screw up our courage" and make a more or less educated guess. Otherwise we wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning.
And yet, here we are pulling down bits of society on the grounds that they aren't rational when we can't actually get at the rational underpinnings of anything.

The contrary position is that we haven't got a clue how all this works. There is clearly a human process for producing societies that are certainly not optimal, but seem to work. Rationally conceived societies - Revolutionary France, Revolutionary Russia, many other smaller examples seem to have had some issues. Maybe the lesson here is to see spectacular failure as a significant possibility if we try and push one of these rational, axiomatic systems of society? Let things happen bottom up more. Tolerate different states and different countries taking different approaches.

Each country is a vast collection of different ideas implemented in different ways. We can't generally know what the impact of any one idea implemented in a particular way was, or how it would play out somewhere else. We can string narratives together about the process that sound plausible, but who knows? We can look at the overall way the aggregate of that is going, and say "something is rotten in California", say. The more widespread that view is, the more California is undermined and the more other places are strengthened. An invisible hand system. That breaks down if you impose one world view top down on everybody.
Steersman wrote: That's why science is generally seen as a model, not as a guarantee.
Sure. What I was objecting to was your wish to normalise prostitutes being teachers. That feels like a San Francisco kind of idea. San Francisco seems to be a shit hole that is aching to decriminalise crime. I think an idea smelling of San Francisco is reason enough to be highly suspicious of it.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Is there any possibility of raising the character limit :-) 15000 characters per post is very restrictive. I'm trying to induce a buffer overflow in Steersman. We may then be able to execute arbitrary code on him.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: Is there any possibility of raising the character limit :-) 15000 characters per post is very restrictive. I'm trying to induce a buffer overflow in Steersman. We may then be able to execute arbitrary code on him.
Walk away now while you still can.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fafnir wrote: Is there any possibility of raising the character limit :-) 15000 characters per post is very restrictive. I'm trying to induce a buffer overflow in Steersman. We may then be able to execute arbitrary code on him.

In that trailer, are Steersman and I the ones fucking or fighting? I can't tell anymore.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

This is how you debate, isn't it? Or have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Nikole Hannah-Jones-- of the 1619 Project-- says kids should be put in the care of the Experts. Trust the Science.
Families can only shape their children into quirky misfits. The globalist machine stamps-out & requires perfect interchangeable parts.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote:
This is how you debate, isn't it? Or have I been doing it wrong all these years?
I dunno. Ask John -- he's into that homo shit.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Apparently the lack of substance in today's music... can be repaired by adding Religion, and 'Christmas' is a sufficiently-universal concept-- that even saggy-tightpants no-dad ghettospawn-- have something to say about it.

I'm pleasantly surprised:

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fafnir wrote: This is how you debate, isn't it? Or have I been doing it wrong all these years?
I dunno. Ask John -- he's into that homo shit.
Isn't the rule that it's OK if our dicks don't touch, or is that Ghostbusters?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fafnir wrote: Isn't the rule that it's OK if our dicks don't touch, or is that Ghostbusters?
Boy Scouts

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fafnir wrote: Isn't the rule that it's OK if our dicks don't touch, or is that Ghostbusters?
Boy Scouts
No, you rub them together to start a fire, I think.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The YouTube comments responding to Jared-the-Let's-Go-Brandon-Dad are a procession of butthurt. With thousands of upvotes for each limp 'zinger'. Interesting to see the same shrill tone over & over.

A screenshot:

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:50 am
You have clearly stated your understanding of the fruitless nature of a "debate" with Steers. Why do you keep going back for more? Do you think you'll get anywhere? Please stop.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://media.patriots.win/post/cwCCgUM6lnEi.jpeg

I recall a television interview-- some news-cunt insinuated that Jordan Peterson was led a dangerous army of disgruntled young men & was inciting them to violence.

He said she was lying-- and the proof he offered-- was that she was sitting safely, giving the interview.

He said something-like, 'If I _did_ want to cause trouble, "you'd see nothing around around you but rubble & broken glass."

I saw a flash of delight in his statement. And I wondered: was it just a glint of trickster enjoyment/ or something far darker & wicked?

That was BEFORE the great encroachment against individual freedom & autonomy-- against private relations between individuals without this new layer of Big Brother obstruction.

Now-- I wouldn't care if he _was_ basking in power-mad sadism. If he's the right bastard for the job, there's a job for a bastard to do. They'd be damn lucky to have him as their nemesis, not some cruder tool of a man.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Tonight I finished reading-aloud to GF-- Heinlein's "Orphans in the Sky", originally published in 1941.

It's the story of a starship from Earth, populated by descendants of: a mutiny/ genetic mutations/ reversion to ignorant villagers & savage raiders/ with only a cargo cult ritual understanding of their own history & technology. Today this trope is well-worn, but Heinlein did it early & well.

I misremembered it as one of his 'Juveniles'-- Young Adult novels-- due to the schoolboy & two-headed-cannibal-mutant-knife-thrower lead-characters. But certain references-- such as several jokey allusions to wife-beating-- weren't intended for kids. (Or maybe the allusions were veiled jokes-- precisely-because Heinlein knew his pulp magazine audience was mixed adults & kids). This time-- I was reminded of the Warhammer 40,000 mythos. The mutants are cartoonish, like 40k orks. Punctuated with ultraviolence.

Same with the schoolboy character being put on trial by village elders for heresy... for claiming there's a universe _outside_ the confines of the spaceship. When he's convicted, the boy blurts-out, "And yet it moves!"
Heinlein is content to let those who get the reference get-it, and those who don't... enjoy this 'original' work of 'fiction'.

This isn't the only book in-which Heinlein describes a cadre of 'hard headed young upstart men of action' who mock the foolishness of their elders, and attempt an idealistic (completely wrongheaded) coup. In 1941, Heinlein probably had Bolsheviks and Austrian corporals in mind.

But this books sharp description of pedantry & lack of epistemic humility-- reminds me of the Science-fanboys of little accomplishment-- who frequent Star Trek conventions & atheist/skeptic circles. It's a better bit of social satire than it needed to be, to tell it's simple tale.

It's not a great book. It's pleasantly unconcerned with whether it's even a good book. He just wrote what he wanted to write & it came out pretty dang alright.

And-- as is always the case with Heinlein-- he just casually litters the pages with little gems:

"...spaceship ballistics is a very simple subject, being hardly more than the application of the second law of motion to an inverse-square field.... Baking a cake requires greater, though subconscious knowledge of engineering: knitting a sweater requires a grasp of much more complex mathematical relationships. The topology of a knitted garment-- but try it yourself some time."

Do any of you recall the spate of feminist science articles a few years ago-- claiming that male brains had only examined the harsh hard side of physics/ overlooking the soft organic complexities of blobjects... until females were finally allowed into STEM to illuminate all the things men had overlooked? Knitting was always included as a prime example.

Sorry ladies-- this book is Prior Art from he-man Heinlein, back in 1941. Please update your citations to The Man.
Knitting reinvented: Mathematics, feminism and metal - BBChttps://www.bbc.com › news › technology-19208292
Aug 20, 2012 — "Converting a smooth curve into a knitted pattern is a math problem because one has to figure out where exactly to place the discrete changes in ...

'Knitting Is Coding' and Yarn Is Programmable in This Physics ...https://www.nytimes.com › 2019/05/17 › science › math-...
May 17, 2019 — For Elisabetta Matsumoto, knot theory is knit theory. ... nonlinear elasticity, materials engineering and “soft condensed matter physics.

STEM + Knitting: Finding a Place for Craft in the Classroomhttps://www.interweave.com › article › stem-knitting-cr...
Sep 29, 2021 — Whether it's through robotics, design, or knitting, students are finding new ways to engage with STEM concepts.

Methods for Queer and Trans Feminist Maker Movementshttps://drum.lib.umd.edu › handle
Jan 23, 2018 — Soft Circuitry: Methods for Queer and Trans Feminist Maker Movements ... dc.description.abstract, Fiber craft practices such as knitting, ...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I remember watching The Starlost TV show as a kid, which basically the same story.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote: '...This is what Burke would describe as "reducing a woman to being a mere human"...'

In-which, Sargon finds the perfect gender-critical feminist mate for Steersman:

https://youtu.be/qbk9FexHcAg

<snip>
That's a hoot - how did you find that? Went looking for it? Serendipity? The LotusEaters are lurking about (too)? :-)

But some interesting observations though some are clearly wide of the mark and more than just a bit problematic:
13:55 i would say we're in favor of chivalry on this oh 13:57 absolutely i'm not saying i'm not that's 13:59 not my position i'm not the feminist 14:01 here but that is the feminist position 14:03 and14:04 it really does show that feminism is 14:06 essentially about abolishing the uh 14:08 sacred nature of being a woman yes 14:11 it's abolishing all sacred natures 14:12 because it comes out of this 14:14 postmodernist absolutely theory 14:16 but this this is um what burke would uh14:19 describe as reducing a woman to being a 14:22 mere human yes and 14:24 the thing is the arguments that they 14:25 have of this for all of this is that yes 14:27 we abolish the sacred nature we abolish 14:29 the heroism and all of the mythic 14:31narratives around it but it's fine 14:33 because we replace it with these 14:35 benefits in material status now first of 14:38 all the benefits and material status are 14:40 dubious as to whether they even bring 14:42 them about but secondarily for most 14:44 people the narrative the mythic 14:45 narrative and the sense of heroism and 14:47 righteousness is far more important to 14:49 them than any material benefit that this 14:51 theory might bring that is exactly right 14:54 and you you you can see this in uh women 14:57 appealing to their own motherhood and
For one thing, there are probably as many "sects" in feminism as there are in Christianity so there may well be some feminists keen about "reducing a woman to a mere human" - the horror! :roll: But it seems most women - whether they qualify as feminists or not - are keen about that "sacred nature", and that seems to include most of the gender-critical cohort of feminism. Largely why far too many in both camps, including many transwomen, and their "useful idiots" are also keen to argue that that there's some "immutable essence" to female, and get rather bent out of shape at the prospect that their "female membership cards" are a time-limited offer.

Interestingly, some few feminists - like feminist "philosopher" Jane Clare Jones - have, quite commendably, made some efforts to buck that trend. Although I think, on some evidence, that she in particular may be a bit nervous about "turning her back on the masses" - often "unwise" to try "leading" an unthinking mob where it doesn't want to go:

JaneClareJones_UnreasonableIdeas_BunFight1A.jpg
(100.8 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

But, quite thankfully, she isn't the only one doing so. Of particular note is both "Major Watermelon" and "Radfem Black", although the latter's comment has to qualify as one of the most brilliant observations I've run across in the whole transgender clusterfuck:

Tweets_RadfemBlack_Vertebrate1A.jpg
(101.25 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

In any case, as much as I appreciate your efforts find me the "perfect gender-critical feminist mate" ;-) , I really don't entirely agree with that Sophie Lewis that the LotusEater crew were talking about. While I can maybe sympathize with some of her arguments - haven't read through all of the transcript yet, I rather doubt "abolishing the family" is the way to go.

Though it could probably use a tune-up - maybe in some ethnic communities more than others. They say the hand that rocks the cradle rules the nation - some evidence that those tasked with that "sacred" duty have clearly fallen down on the job.

But, really, one must support at least some social institutions, as illogical as they may be ... ;-)

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
You have clearly stated your understanding of the fruitless nature of a "debate" with Steers. Why do you keep going back for more? Do you think you'll get anywhere? Please stop.
Have you never played tennis against a wall? A lot of people do it, but nobody so much as gets a point out of the wall.

ThreeFlangedJavis

fafnir wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Have you never played tennis against a wall? A lot of people do it, but nobody so much as gets a point out of the wall.
Wall tennis doesn't strain innocent scrolling fingers.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bummer: Edward O. Wilson has died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59803766

Richard Rhodes just published a really good biography of him: Scientist: E. O. Wilson: A Life in Nature

John D

Post by John D »

I post this here for those who think the Babylon Bee only posts jokes about liberals.

https://babylonbee.com/news/joel-osteen ... E4IgK5uiH8

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:13 am
I post this here for those who think the Babylon Bee only posts jokes about liberals.

https://babylonbee.com/news/joel-osteen ... E4IgK5uiH8
Heh.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Woke Newspeak is everywhere.
nonbinary calves.png
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 148 times

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Cursed Earth Black Power Dildo Party

Keating

Post by Keating »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Besides proving that Eikks have no natural rhythm, was there a point to this?
Just celebrating the cult of reason with Steers.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Hope you fucks had a good Christmas and that 2022 is a better year for all of you.

My sister is about to give birth with her first child, so I've been having fun helping coming up with names.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Keating wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Besides proving that Eikks have no natural rhythm, was there a point to this?
Just celebrating the cult of reason with Steers.
Makes sense. It was hard to tell whether they were dancing clockwise or counterclockwise.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Keating wrote: so I've been having fun helping coming up with names.
"Nigger Tha Squirrel"

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Keating wrote: so I've been having fun helping coming up with names.
"Nigger Tha Squirrel"
That's a nutty name!

*hic*

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: for those who think the Babylon Bee only posts jokes about liberals.
The basic premise of this skit is only mildly-amusing, but I dig how he explores every angle/ for all it's worth...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

:flags-australia:
https://media.patriots.win/post/tgSNBNyQWE6C.png
:flags-australia:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

fafnir wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:42 am
Black belt master in the manly arts of jujitsu – and tennis: using an opponent’s own actions against them – from time immemorial ... ;-)

Though you might consider that I’ve conceded more than a few points, but I’m not at all sure you’re really listening or are all that intellectually honest about what you’ve heard. You keep blathering on [#3241] about “trying to understand each other’s positions”, yet you don’t seem to expend much effort towards that goal yourself.

And even where you acknowledge, for example, that rationalism has a role to play in the “hard sciences”, you seem rather reluctant to consider the relevance of the same principles that undergird science and mathematics to other aspects of the so-called Enlightenment. Although there are some welcome indications, if inadvertent ones, that there are a few changes in the wind.

However, we’ve covered a lot of ground and it’s easy to lose sight of the forest for all the trees in the way ... ;-)

For reference, a more or less complete list of our posts and those of a few other kibitizers and “fanners of flames” ;-):
► Show Spoiler
But, as particular concessions, I said, waay back (#2542), that:
Some justification to argue that neither [Science nor Rationalism] are a panacea, that each have their limitations and potential pitfalls. You may wish to read my further elaborations on that theme ;)
And similar concessions even earlier (#2538) relative to Pinker Himself, and to the more Woke-ish travelers in his wake:
One might reasonably argue or suggest that Pinker has something of an overly rosy - if not "Romantic" - view on the Enlightenment and on many of the principles which undergird it. And the "Feelz B4 Realz" cohort likewise contribute to the problems we face. Interestingly, Sagan - Himself - emphasized - in his Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle [enlightenment] in the Dark - that far too many of us are more concerned about what feels good than about what is "true":
Although you and more than a few others here also have a problematic tendency more towards what feels good than towards what is actually true.

I would also probably concede that Burke may have had some justified criticisms of the French Revolution. But that’s not the “core argument” as you seem to think is the case (#3241). It is your rather categorical condemnation of the whole Enlightenment project without differentiating between different aspects, features, and interpretations of it.

As I’ve said, neither Science nor Rationalism nor the Enlightenment itself are monolithic entities; all of those topics encompass a wide diversity of concepts and principles, not all of which are created equal. You seem to have another equally problematic tendency towards “four legs good, two legs bad”, towards tradition and “is” being good but Enlightenment being entirely bad, towards categorically tarring all of what comes under those rubrics – Science, Rationalism, the Enlightenment itself – with the same wide brush (#2540, #3137) that really only applies to narrow segments of them:
I think one of the questions of the day is what the implications are for a society who takes Science and rationalism as it's guide. ....

It is the enlightenment principles of individualism, equality and rationality that are the root cause of this [rot?].
Rather amusing that you apparently throw stones at individualism (in #3137) while having previously argued (#3019) that the “whole problem with modernity [AKA, the Enlightenment?] is that it mechanises man, commodifies man, turns man into a consumer and is obsessed with equality and hence against individuality”.

Do make up your mind: is individuality/individualism good or bad? Or only when “tradition” and “is” says so? But that’s the problem with lumping a whole bunch of precepts and concepts that are generally contradictory or inconsistent or untenable under the same heading. And then “thinking” that because one is bad then they all have to be equally bad.

You seem so desperate to defend tradition and various institutions "for the moral stability and good of the state”, to champion “is” over “ought” (#3190) that you seem incapable of even considering any possible problems with the traditions you apparently defend, let alone trying to find solutions. Your “is”, your narrow-minded focus on particular and rather self-serving traditions, is tantamount to saying that we “ought” to let whatever “is” stand, regardless of whatever “evils” they might entail. Traditions have their values, some more so than others, but they also have a few justified epithets like “hidebound” and “straightjackets”.

But that categorical condemnation of the Enlightenment just leads to you shooting yourself in the feet – repeatedly, stopping only to reload. For instance, you quite reasonably argue (in #3146) that:
The thing with all those Marxist intellectuals is that as much as we disagree with them, they weren't stupid people. There are contradictions in the world view that came out of the enlightenment. They want to follow those contradictions through, Gilbert and Sullivan style, and play out the contradiction to the point where a miracle occurs and somehow we find that the contradiction wasn't a contradiction at all. ....
Sure, there are such contradictions. But those aren’t all of what you or others are lumping together under the rubric of “The Enlightenment” – rather counter-productive, cutting one’s nose off to spite one’s face, to condemn all bits for some problems with, or some misuses of a few. For instance, your reference to “contradictions” comes from the rather venerable “tradition” – so to speak – of logic, the principle of reductio ad absurdum, that goes back to 500 BC - bit further than the 18th century as you argued (#3241).

Sure, there are some flies in the ointment of reason and logic that is more or less encompassed by the term “rationalism”. But do you really want to throw that “baby” out with the bathwater? To deny yourself that “weapon” against the illogical, the clueless, the intellectually dishonest, and politically motivated? Because that sure looks like what you’re engaged in doing. Both in principle and in practice.

Few other examples from your latest (#3241):

Somewhat en passant, that “three body problem” you referred to has been “solved”, at least in a probabilistic sense. Probability being, as I’ve argued, fundamental to much of physics, quantum mechanics in particular:

https://scitechdaily.com/a-centuries-ol ... ry-solved/

As I emphasized before, we simply cannot know precisely what the consequences are going to be of any choice or policy. But your peddling of “is” over “ought” – an “is” with an implicit “ought” under the hood – is just as bad if not worse for refusing to even consider the long-term consequences of that choice to do nothing. Sticking your head in the sand is really not a course of action conducive to long-term survival.

In the same vein, you argued (in #3196), more or less justifiably, that “the parallel postulate ... can't be proved or disproved, it's an axiom”. While I was wide of the mark to talk about “disproving the parallel axiom” – mea culpa, shoot me at dawn – my intent, underlined by my previous “until events or evidence prove them untenable”, was that the theory of relativity had “proved” that the parallel postulate was not at all consistent with “reality”.

Models are “designed” to give us a handle on controlling events, even an approximation on them; they’re not simply to keep so-called academics “gainfully” employed or out of the pool halls. And my point with that analogy (in #3194) – which you refused to deal with, straining at the gnat while swallowing the camel whole – was that much of what you’re calling the Enlightenment is what I’ll call misuses of fundamental and quite venerable principles of Rationalism such as reductio ad absurdum and the “principle of explosion (ex falso [sequitur] quodlibet, 'from falsehood, anything [follows]'”.

You can’t possibly deal with those “Marxist intellectuals” and their ilk, can’t show their premises to be so much errant moonshine, can’t cut them off at the knees if you’ve thrown away the tool that would allow you to do that.

Similarly or in the same vein, your claim (#3241) that “Trans-women being women is what happens when you build society on reason” is unmitigated and self-serving horse shit. That’s not “reason” that led to that – it was an abandonment and repudiation of those logical principles referred to above and elsewhere in my comments, it was relying on bogus and badly flawed “traditions”. Which you’re contributing to – well done, bravo. :roll:

Pray tell, what definitions for “male” and “female” do you think that biologists should be “allowed” to use?

Finally, I’ll readily concede that much of my “argument” about your comment on “normalizing prostitutes being school teachers” was a swing and a miss; mea culpa and all that; wrong definitions in mind.

However, I still think you’re barking up the wrong tree: the issue is not whether we should “normalize” that, but whether there’s something intrinsic to having been a porn actress – the case of Bree Olson that precipitated the discussion – that precludes her of being able to perform that teaching job. Your case is based only on “tradition” :roll:, on pre-judging, on prejudice, on cheap emotions – an ex-prostitute, the horror! :roll: – and not at all on anything approaching reason or logic.

It’s not necessary to have any discussion at all on “what test could be devised of the long term effect on society and culture of normalizing prostitutes being school teachers”. It’s only necessary to ask whether they have the necessary qualifications, and what other possible reasons one could have for, a priori, denying them an opportunity open to anyone with the requisite skills. Methinks the answer isn’t very flattering.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well Steersman...

As it is the time of year to count our blessings - I'd like to note that you seem to be doing your level best to prevent this place from becoming an echo-chamber. Which may be a good thing...I suppose...time will tell in any case.

So, well done you.

And when I get tired of your monomania, I'll try and remember to do the same that I do when I get tried of anything - ie take a break from it.

Anyway - you've got a skin like a rhino for insults - but I hope this (at least partial) note of appreciation gets through.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

fafnir wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:17 pm
MarcusAu wrote: Was this necessary?

...the American Revolution, I mean.
It was probably sufficient.
If you consider 45% of the population supporting it to be that...

ThreeFlangedJavis

MarcusAu wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:34 am
fafnir wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:17 pm
MarcusAu wrote: Was this necessary?

...the American Revolution, I mean.
It was probably sufficient.
If you consider 45% of the population supporting it to be that...
More civil war than revolution. Sounds plausible. Jefferson and company had a similar problem to today's anti-fascists, they needed an oppressive tyrant and they didn't have one, so they took the MSNBC approach and wrote a hit piece on poor old George. https://www.hoover.org/research/last-ki ... orge-iii-0

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Anyway - you've got a skin like a rhino for insults - but I hope this (at least partial) note of appreciation gets through.
Yeah, well Richard "Jizz Hobbit" Carrier could punch your fucking lights out with both hands tied behind his back. That's how poofy and weak you are.

(just testing your skin)

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Wall tennis doesn't strain innocent scrolling fingers.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Bhurzum wrote:
MarcusAu wrote: Anyway - you've got a skin like a rhino for insults - but I hope this (at least partial) note of appreciation gets through.
Yeah, well Richard "Jizz Hobbit" Carrier could punch your fucking lights out with both hands tied behind his back. That's how poofy and weak you are.

(just testing your skin)
He'd rub his lotion on your skin.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Steersman wrote: And even where you acknowledge, for example, that rationalism has a role to play in the “hard sciences”, you seem rather reluctant to consider the relevance of the same principles that undergird science and mathematics to other aspects of the so-called Enlightenment.
A principle may be fine in one domain and a disaster in another. You continually seem to map your own universalising world view on to me.
Steersman wrote: Although there are some welcome indications, if inadvertent ones, that there are a few changes in the wind.
My position hasn't changed. Your understanding of it may have.
Steersman wrote: Although you and more than a few others here also have a problematic tendency more towards what feels good than towards what is actually true.
No. I am arguing for what works and against pleasing philosophical systems that fail in application. In the corrospondance between Burke and Charles-Jean-François Depont. The foundations of Revolutionary French society was unquestionably far more clearly stated in terms of enlightenment principles than 18th Century England, and carried forth in rationalist terms. Yet, Burke and his society survived, while Depont did not and his society founded on enlightenment principles and pseudo-rationalism had the Terror and then Napoleon. Strange. I suggest that it is you who wants to found society in a "feel good" illusion, and I who would prefer it was founded in things that worked.
Steersman wrote: Rather amusing that you apparently throw stones at individualism (in #3137) while having previously argued (#3019) that the “whole problem with modernity [AKA, the Enlightenment?] is that it mechanises man, commodifies man, turns man into a consumer and is obsessed with equality and hence against individuality”.
Yes, indeed. That is where individualism gets you. If it is made into some kind of absolute good, then it destroys the social fabric that individuals need. You seem to be labouring under the delusion the the society that a set of principles creates necessarily aligns with those principles, or would be seen as good by the people who hold those principles. I'm not at all sure that that is the case, so I don't see any contradiction in the outcome of a society founded on individualism being ultimately anti-individual.
Steersman wrote: Sure, there are such contradictions. But those aren’t all of what you or others are lumping together under the rubric of “The Enlightenment” – rather counter-productive, cutting one’s nose off to spite one’s face, to condemn all bits for some problems with, or some misuses of a few.
I'm arguing about what happens when you try to found a society on Enlightenment principles. I'm not arguing that enlightenment ideas used for other purposes and in other domains are universally bad.
Steersman wrote: For instance, your reference to “contradictions” comes from the rather venerable “tradition” – so to speak – of logic, the principle of reductio ad absurdum, that goes back to 500 BC - bit further than the 18th century as you argued (#3241).
And? One can no more build a society on logic, than one can build mathematics on logic. For the umpteenth time, I am not arguing that logic isn't great for the kinds of questions logic is good for or that Physics isn't good for the kinds of questions Physics is good for. You can't build a society on them though.
Steersman wrote: Sure, there are some flies in the ointment of reason and logic that is more or less encompassed by the term “rationalism”. But do you really want to throw that “baby” out with the bathwater? To deny yourself that “weapon” against the illogical, the clueless, the intellectually dishonest, and politically motivated? Because that sure looks like what you’re engaged in doing. Both in principle and in practice.
Thinking you can build a society on enlightenment, rationalistic principles is a delusion. Most particularly the demand to put society, morality etc to the rationalist question. It doesn't work. It has always turned to shit.
Steersman wrote: In the same vein, you argued (in #3196), more or less justifiably, that “the parallel postulate ... can't be proved or disproved, it's an axiom”. While I was wide of the mark to talk about “disproving the parallel axiom” – mea culpa, shoot me at dawn – my intent, underlined by my previous “until events or evidence prove them untenable”, was that the theory of relativity had “proved” that the parallel postulate was not at all consistent with “reality”.
It lasted for as long as it was useful, and in as much as it stopped being useful in certain areas, it has been dropped. That's my way of doing things, not yours. Plausible looking axioms rationally followed through, even in about the most ideal pure rationalist setting, still led to error when that was applied to the real world. Social questions are much thornier topics, and you can't just shrug and rewrite the textbooks when you find you were wrong.
Steersman wrote: Models are “designed” to give us a handle on controlling events, even an approximation on them; they’re not simply to keep so-called academics “gainfully” employed or out of the pool halls.
That really depends on the model.
Steersman wrote: And my point with that analogy (in #3194) – which you refused to deal with, straining at the gnat while swallowing the camel whole – was that much of what you’re calling the Enlightenment is what I’ll call misuses of fundamental and quite venerable principles of Rationalism such as reductio ad absurdum and the “principle of explosion (ex falso [sequitur] quodlibet, 'from falsehood, anything [follows]'”.
All I'm talking about is the enlightenment project of founding society on enlightenment principles of liberty, equality and rationality. That's all I've ever been talking about.
Steersman wrote: You can’t possibly deal with those “Marxist intellectuals” and their ilk, can’t show their premises to be so much errant moonshine, can’t cut them off at the knees if you’ve thrown away the tool that would allow you to do that.
No. If I accept their premise that society should be founded on Enlightenment principles, then all we have is a power battle over what arbitrary weights we give to those principles and about the layers of pseudo-rationalistic theory they layer on top. Why would my weighting of principles layered with my pseudo-rationalistic theory be any more rational than theirs? It just ends up in whoever is the most powerful imposing their answer.

At the end of the day, the only question is "do we like what happens when these ideas are put into practice?". No institution, no moral principle can be justified on rational grounds. By introducing the idea that society and it's institutions, customs and laws should be able to justify themselves rationally, the Enlightenment created a destructive revolutionary ideology. It's a permanent excuse to tear down anything that the National Assembly find it convenient in the moment to destroy. What do you think "deconstruction" is?
Steersman wrote: Similarly or in the same vein, your claim (#3241) that “Trans-women being women is what happens when you build society on reason” is unmitigated and self-serving horse shit. That’s not “reason” that led to that – it was an abandonment and repudiation of those logical principles referred to above and elsewhere in my comments, it was relying on bogus and badly flawed “traditions”. Which you’re contributing to – well done, bravo. :roll:
Nonsense. It takes a lot of theory to get an intellectual to believe a man is a woman. The same as it is only from theory that one can get to old women not being female. You and they just have different towers of theory based on differently weighted axioms. Tradition has nothing to do with either. Both you and they are attacking the traditional definitions because you both believe in the revolutionary enlightenment project of Progressive Liberalism.
Steersman wrote: Pray tell, what definitions for “male” and “female” do you think that biologists should be “allowed” to use?
Whatever definition they find most useful. The one they've got seems fine to the extent I've thought about it.
Steersman wrote: However, I still think you’re barking up the wrong tree: the issue is not whether we should “normalize” that, but whether there’s something intrinsic to having been a porn actress – the case of Bree Olson that precipitated the discussion – that precludes her of being able to perform that teaching job. Your case is based only on “tradition” :roll:, on pre-judging, on prejudice, on cheap emotions – an ex-prostitute, the horror! :roll: – and not at all on anything approaching reason or logic.
"intrinsic to having been a porn actress" - again, you are wanting to pin down the ineffable essence and define things rationally from there. That isn't possible. This is the slipperiest of slippery slopes. It simply isn't possible for cultural norms to justify themselves in this way. It is a process that eats through the rules that hold the culture together like alien blood.

Back in the 80s all these dumb Christian conservatives used to complain about morality in media and the impact on the culture. Any one bit of it, they couldn't really make a defence of because it's "just this case", "is X really worse than Y". Now I'm driving my son to football listening to WAP on the radio. Either you have arbitrary unfair lines, or you have no lines. How far we have come that WAP is on the radio and we are arguing about how unfair it is that well known prostitutes find it difficult to get teaching jobs.
Steersman wrote: It’s not necessary to have any discussion at all on “what test could be devised of the long term effect on society and culture of normalizing prostitutes being school teachers”. It’s only necessary to ask whether they have the necessary qualifications, and what other possible reasons one could have for, a priori, denying them an opportunity open to anyone with the requisite skills. Methinks the answer isn’t very flattering.
Your reasoning is exactly the same as the reasoning of the people who want trans-women to be women. This is an argument based on assumptions about principles and an adamant insistence that those principles should be followed through. You then insist that the person you are arguing with is reasoning in the same way after a month of being told that they aren't. You can't build a society like this. This is a line of reasoning that strips away all social norms and standards of behaviour because they can never justify themselves in this way.
At it's root there are the same wrong assumptions about the nature of man that you get in the pre-revolutionary Enlightenment thinkers leading people to think that freed from these irrational social constraints the new liberated man will behave well.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: Yeah, well Richard "Jizz Hobbit" Carrier could punch your fucking lights out with both hands tied behind his back. That's how poofy and weak you are.
Judge not, that you be not judged. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the huge glob of spunk in your own eye?

John D

Post by John D »

I prefer the King Kames translation:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

John D

Post by John D »

King James... haha.... typo.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

τί δὲ βλέπεις τὸ κάρφος τὸ ἐν τῷ ὀφθαλμῷ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ σου, τὴν δὲ ἐν τῷ σῷ ὀφθαλμῷ δοκὸν οὐ κατανοεῖς

John D

Post by John D »

but the translation makes all the difference.... The King James translation says that you cannot accurately identify the mote in your brother's eye.... unless you clear your own vision. It is very different from the modern translations that suggest you are not able to judge... but that you must first judge yourself and clear away the sin. A subtle difference.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: but the translation makes all the difference.... The King James translation says that you cannot accurately identify the mote in your brother's eye.... unless you clear your own vision. It is very different from the modern translations that suggest you are not able to judge... but that you must first judge yourself and clear away the sin. A subtle difference.
My translation was funnier.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: but the translation makes all the difference.... The King James translation says that you cannot accurately identify the mote in your brother's eye.... unless you clear your own vision. It is very different from the modern translations that suggest you are not able to judge... but that you must first judge yourself and clear away the sin. A subtle difference.
My translation was funnier.
Racier too, not to say "racist" ...

https://biblehub.com/text/matthew/7-3.htm

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:

(just testing your skin)
:-) More or less intact. Kicking against the pricks. ;-)

Reminds me of an old cartoon series - 50 years old now - about the witch "Broom Hilda" - "ageing gracelessly"; "life begins at 1500":

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.p ... acelessly/

Seem to recollect that she lived in a forest and that she periodically joined other denizens around a log where they exchanged insults - the "insult exchange" I think it was called.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

If we are talkin Carrier, and sharing comics.... I offer this for consideration:
https://www.oglaf.com/cumsprite/

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Needless to say, that link is not suitable for work, the young, or your servants.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

MarcusAu wrote: Well Steersman...

As it is the time of year to count our blessings - I'd like to note that you seem to be doing your level best to prevent this place from becoming an echo-chamber. Which may be a good thing...I suppose...time will tell in any case.

So, well done you.
:-) Tough job and all that ...

But amusing aspects to the dichotomy between orthodoxies & heterodoxies even if the dividing line is rather subjective. No doubt some benefits in both, though also more than a few pitfalls. There's Haidt's (?) Heterodox Academy, and Claire Lehmann's Heterodox Facebook webpage, the latter of which featured a rather questionable defense of the orthodox, the "traditional" view on the sexes by which they're "immutable" and dependent on some "mythic essence".

Worst of both seems to be a rather too common and dogmatic insistence, "the sheer certainty of their adherents" as Andrew Doyle argued. Though that was directed at the woke but it seems to characterize far too many on other sides of the fence, whether they style themselves proponents of "traditional" orthodoxies or "progressive" heterodoxies:

Reminds me of the closing paragraphs in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:
... she was back with a dozen amyls. I paid without quibbling about the ecclesiastical discount. Then I opened the box and cracked one under my nose, while she watched. ....

"God's mercy on you swine!" I shouted at two Marines coming out of the men's room.

They looked at me, but said nothing. By this time I was laughing crazily. But it made no difference. I was just another fucked-up cleric with a bad heart. Shit, they'll love me down at the Brown Palace. I took another big hit off the amyl, and by the time I got to the bar my heart was full of joy. I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger ... a Man on the Move, and just sick enough to be totally confident.
What a closing phrase - "just sick enough to be totally confident"; may well serve as the epitaph for Western Civilization, such as it is.
MarcusAu wrote: And when I get tired of your monomania, I'll try and remember to do the same that I do when I get tried of anything - ie take a break from it.
Someone once said that our monomanias drive us like clockwork - guess I'm not the only one ... ;-)
MarcusAu wrote: Anyway - you've got a skin like a rhino for insults ...
Or maybe they were based on untenable or irrelevant premises; maybe the authors were blowing smoke out of their arses, barking up the wrong tree.
MarcusAu wrote: ... but I hope this (at least partial) note of appreciation gets through.
Thanks - I guess. :-) Damning faint praise? Or the widow's mite? ;-) Stay tuned for another thrilling episode ...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

New York City's first-in-the-nation vaccine mandate for private businesses took effect on Monday, with Mayor Bill de Blasio touting the measure as a way "to avoid shutdowns" as the Omicron variant continues to surge.

The new statute requires every worker at New York City businesses employing more than one person to show proof of vaccination....

What's next: The mayor, whose term ends on Friday, said that city inspectors will begin dropping in on a handful of the 184,000 businesses covered by the mandate to check for compliance. Rather than focusing on fines, de Blasio said agencies will work with owners to bring their firms into compliance.

But it could be a short-lived exercise.

Mayor-elect Eric Adams, who takes office on Jan. 1, has not committed to continuing the policy, and has said that he will reevaluate it once he is sworn in.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

:canada:

:canada:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog wrote: Those vaccines don't work as-advertised, mere months ago. Your memory is weak.
And so the masters steer you with ease.
Steersman wrote: ↑
And your evidence for that is what?
March 29th 2021, Rachel Maddow, MSNBC:

"Now we know that the vaccines work well enough that the virus stops with every vaccinated person… The virus does not infect them…It cannot use a vaccinated person as a host to get more people.”

https://twitter.com/aginnt/status/1475193955704881152

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

29% of all infections last week were in NYC