Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Brive1987 »

All preferable to getting beaked by Gladys.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I always thought German culture should have got a ‘hall pass’ for blood and soil.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Brive1987 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:50 pm

I always thought German culture should have got a ‘hall pass’ for blood and soil.
And the boys can get fucked, or at least continue to get fucked. The modern face of US moral imperialism in a nutshell. Invade, foist gender studies education onto a stone age culture and leave after 20 years all surprised that it didn't work out. It cost a lot of blood and money to upgrade the Taliban's weapons and enrich some connected contractors..

I hear that Biden's lot are adamant that US citizens won't be given priority for evacuation. So that was Biden's takeaway from the fall of Saigon. It should have been Americans hanging from helicopter wheels, not Vietnamese. Who would want to serve in the US military now knowing that their life is probably worth less than any foreigner's to the people who send them off to get shot at?

John D

Post by John D »

There is a good chance.... now that the Taliban has defeated the US... that they turn their attention to other Muslims. This may work out fine.... as the barbarians spend all their effort fighting each other. We will see.

John D

Post by John D »

Brive1987 wrote: Mostly peaceful.

What a stupid fucking cunt. How do such stupid people get to be reporters? Of course they are happy.... they just defeated the world's greatest super power. They are happy to kill Americans and now they have more chances to do so. Why would they not be simultaneously chanting "Death to America" and feeling happy. Stupid Cunt.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Stop mocking my religion.

ThreeFlangedJavis

John D wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:32 am
There is a good chance.... now that the Taliban has defeated the US... that they turn their attention to other Muslims. This may work out fine.... as the barbarians spend all their effort fighting each other. We will see.
Not fine in any way. The Taliban are flavour of the month in jihadi circles and they'll all be flocking there to set up camp. The inevitable civil war won't really affect their resolve or ability to do whatever terroristy things they turn their minds to. Biden's dichotomy is bullshit. Nobody was suggesting committing more troops, the choice was between withdrawing and maintaining a small presence to provide backup to the Afghan army, especially air power. The Afghan army was not afraid of fighting or totally incapable. They have been repelling Taliban offensives with US air and intelligence support but the rapid US disengagement shattered their confidence. Exactly the same scenario as Vietnam. It was the denial of air support which did in the South Vietnamese. Biden is 95% shit-filled. Can't get his story straight. He's said the chaos wouldn't happen, that his advisors didn't see it coming and also that it was inevitable. He was warned.

A few interesting points in this. One thing I didn't appreciate is that Islam is secondary to the Pashtun code. These guys love war. Another point is that it is just not in the nature of these folks to cooperate to build mutually beneficial infrastructure, which is why outsiders with a commitment to staying are necessary to development. Unfortunately the nation building was, as usual, mostly about siphoning money to the connected and implementing ideologically questionable education programs.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Don't just bemoan the fate of Women & Girls in Afghanistan, Be The Change You Want To See!
https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=100728

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:
All preferable to getting beaked by Gladys.

ThreeFlangedJavis

The inverse piety law strikes again.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Much as I enjoy Glen Loury - sometimes he comes across as being stuck in a rut...

...maybe he just tried the right kind of drugs...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Anyone know when Malcolm McDowell was elected to Parliament?

ThreeFlangedJavis

View from abroad for the Yanks. IMO a most accurate description of contemporary America. Unfortunately a lot of it applies to the UK, Canada and the Antopdes too.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Was nodding in agreement for pretty much the whole of that video.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: View from abroad for the Yanks. IMO a most accurate description of contemporary America. Unfortunately a lot of it applies to the UK, Canada and the Antopdes too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjdnisvictM
Excellent interview - The Spectator, US & UK versions, seems one of the more credible news organizations around. Though not sure the "outfit" of the interviewer was all that "professional" - maybe a different type of profession; not that I'm complaining much. But she seemed competent enough, asked cogent questions, and didn't fall into the pit of the interviewer of Jordan Peterson by asking "so, you're saying" and then proceed to put words into Peterson's mouth.

In any case, Canada too, eh? ;) But some truth to that - the West in general seems to be suffering a crisis of conscience, of motivation these days. Wasn't that sort of the theme of a recent book by Douglas Murray? Though America tends to lead the hit parade - nothing exceeds like excess and America, with its balls to the walls and peddle to the medal "principles", tends to exhibit those failings - a word and idea Green emphasized - in spades.

However, not entirely sure that the "blame" for that can be laid entirely at the doorstep of that 20% that Green pointed to. No doubt a great deal of rot in Academia, journalism, and the "political class", but methinks that the hoi polloi have to shoulder a fair amount of that themselves.

ICYMI, a rather brilliant essay in the Atlantic by the author of Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire that's basically a synopsis of the book:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

Far too much "magical thinking" through virtually all of American society, other Western countries much less so.

Couple of relevant screenshots of the article:

TheAtlantic_HowAmericaLostItsMind_FirstPara_1B.jpg
(276.02 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
TheAtlantic_HowAmericaLostItsMind_SecondPara_1A.jpg
(247.5 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

Reminds me too an observation by JFK; maybe America isn't yet at the "let them eat cake" stage, but, in many ways, it seems to be getting uncomfortably close:

Quotes_Kennedy_Revolution.jpg
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

This is absolutely superb. One of the finest moments i've watched of any politician anywhere, knocked the cynicism out of me, at least for the day, as there are some in politics, who should be there.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Went to the boozer yesterday, first time in...god knows how long; I honestly can't remember the last time I was in a bar. Anyway, it's a nice "country bar" set in a fairly remote location (forest), relatively unknown to the shit-puppets from the nearest scheme ("scheme" is Scottish slang for "the projects" or "section eight housing") and/or prohibitively distant enough to dissuade excursions by mutants. Since it's dog friendly, I took the brown-beasts with me and whilst we quaffed our fill in the beer garden, they amused themselves by farting, slobbering and snoozing at my feet.

Anyway, as the afternoon transitioned into early evening, we decided to stay for dinner then move onto post-nosebag drinks. I managed to secure some chicken and steak for the hounds (it's a dog's life, huh?) and I stuffed my grid with the chef's speciality - lasagne with garlic bread.

We kicked on with the alcohol (cider for muggins here, a fairly new addition to my choice of poison, used to hate the stuff) until roughly nine at which point, some bright spark produced a baggie of herbal tobacco. A large baggie. No, a fucking HUGE baggie!

Now, as you will probably know by now, I'm a straight-laced kinda guy - ex government drone, steely eyed killer, cassette head etc. Drugs, all recreational drugs, are no friend of mine. However, in order to win favour with maiden-fair, I relented and trying to shake off my "stick up the arse" reputation, I took several huuuuge puffs of the noxious reeking stuff.

Fucking. Hell.

In order, I went through the following stages: Struggling to breathe fully, slight panic attack, sniggering attack, laughing my ass off, laughing like a crazy person, calmed down into a strange introverted state, started talking utter bollocks about the state of reality, the human condition, mankind's self-destructive nature (and my misanthropic joy at this truth) and finally, to the horror of all the women present, why I think Japanese women are (objectively) the most beautiful creatures on the planet.

Obviously, being a gibbering arsehole, I blew it massively with maiden fair.

I ended the night by barfing up my dinner in the car park then watching in horror as the hounds scarfed it down. I was so out-of-it, I couldn't even get annoyed at their disgusting antics or muster the motivation to stop them. Oh, and the hike home was a nightmare of cold sweats, paranoia and dry-heaves.

Never again! :snooty:

Keating

Post by Keating »

Should have showed her your bloody sack - chicks dig scars.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Keating wrote: Should have showed her your bloody sack - chicks dig scars.
I wish I was as smooth as you... :P

John D

Post by John D »

Bhurzum wrote:
No worries. I always say “Don’t stick your dick in crazy “. And any chick must be crazy to bed with you!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
No worries. I always say “Don’t stick your dick in crazy “. And any chick must be crazy to bed with you!
I'm a catch - suave, sophisticated, night terrors - I've got the lot! :P

ThreeFlangedJavis

If this is true then it's evidence of the breathtaking stupidity of US policy. All you guys had to do was maintain a small force in Afghanistan with a bit of air power. No big expense, let the Afghans handle the Taliban, keep the Russians and Chinese out and invest in mineral extraction with the Afghans onside. Instead you've given the country to the Taliban, greatly strengthened the Chinese and made a lot of people wary of trusting the US.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Clarissa Ward, the "Death to America, but they seem friendly at the same time" lady. I don't know why so many people dumped on her because she was obviously just remarking on the incongruity. Apparently the departing Prez told his security that he was just popping off to do an interview when he jumped ship. Scumbag.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I don't know why so many people dumped on her because she was obviously just remarking on the incongruity.
I agree that she was marveling at the incongruity. And there's something good about a reporter who is extemporaneous about what they are seeing & feeling, in the moment.

BUT I also get the mass 'fuck you' from people watching her broadcast. The problem is-- CNN dropped a typical dumb 'relatable' normie into a profoundly shocking situation-- and she just kept being the same dullard-from-a-dishsoap-commerical, unfazed by the red pills raining down on her. All she did was conform to the insane Taliban by putting on her Justin Trudeau local costume.

There's another clip of her-- wearing the hijab-- delighted to be telling the camera-- that the Taliban have ordered her to stand-aside, because "I'm a woman." She's found this little moment to highlight-- she's got her human interest angle-- at very little cost to her. Not groped, raped, stoned, kidnapped, beheaded.
I saw a meme -- pairing that moment with an image of a ~male~ CNN reporter-- said to have been murdered later the same day. The meme was fake troll bullshit.
But... a real follow-up incident did occur. This same bitch reported that her filming-crew had been surrounded by Taliban... who were lashing at them & attempting to pistol whip them. But the Taliban attackers didn't swing at her. They swung at her protective retinue of males. The Taliban treat women like shit in many ways... but they also behave in the familiar manner of directing the brunt of their violence at other-men/ with the shitty treatment of women as a shitty afterthought.

After 9/11, I bicycled around & watched live-in-the-flesh as mobile tv crews-- attempted to cover the story. These lightweight people with fluffy hairspray hair-- experienced in covering salacious celebrity divorce trials and such-- attempting their best 'serious' pose... trying to emulate gravitas-- but lacking the depth to do so.

I can tell you what would have been more acceptable to viewers: When I slipped-between the police roadblocks & bicycled to ground zero on 9/11-- I tried to talk to an ambulance driver who had been waiting there for many hours-- as no living survivors were being found to put in his ambulance. Rather than blurting-out every stray thought which popped into his head... an endless smooth flow of observations & opinions... He would answer my questions by opening his mouth-- as if he were about to speak-- and then pause like-that/ at loss for how to process the too-big-for-words events into bite-sized pieces. Less talk/ more shock would have seemed more appropriate, from the CNN bitch.
____

Maybe this would pierce her bubble:

State Dept Overseas Security Advisory Council said Aug. 14“Repatriation flights are not free, and passengers will be required to sign a promissory loan agreement and may not be eligible to renew their U.S. passports until the loan is repaid. Cost may be $2,000 or more per person.”

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Cults and totalitarians governments both are afraid of heterodox information. We're a bit of both right now.

facts zuck.png
Indeed - lot of that going around. Though many in Academia are making some effort to turn the tide; in case you missed it:

https://heterodoxacademy.org/our-story/

But Academia - "big box stores", in particular - kinda needs to get its act together, otherwise on-line groups like Coursera will steal their lunch:

https://www.coursera.org/
Kinda skimmed through the article and a few of the links but offhand it seems many are barking up the wrong tree: belabouring the point, which I'll readily concede, that masks have a very limited value in preventing individuals from catching corona while, in general, missing the point that masks have some value in reducing the transmission of it: straining at the gnat while swallowing the camel whole. From one of the linked studies:
In conclusion, our results suggest that hand hygiene and facemasks can reduce influenza virus transmission if implemented early after symptom onset in an index patient.
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326 ... 0060-00142

Though maybe moot how much "hand hygiene" and "facemasks" each contributed to that reduction in transmission; the problem is changing multiple variables at once - then an open question which contributed how much to the differences in results.

Which sort of reminds me of an article, an interview of the late great French medical doctor and mathematician of some note, Marcel-Paul Schützenberger ("deeply involved in [a] struggle against the votaries of [neo-]Darwinism"), that I had been reading. Here's a salient quote in particular which harkens back to some discussions we were having - lo these 8 years go - on Ernst Mayr's Toward a New Philosophy of Biology and your totally uncalled-for and quite unfounded shots at my hero Stuart Kauffman: ;)
Darwinians seem to me to have retained a mechanistic view of evolution, according to which one would observe an almost linear succession of causes and effects. The classic idea today in physics that causes can interact with each other seems to me to have a certain difficulty in breaking through in biology. While in almost all observable phenomena local modifications interact dramatically.
https://web.archive.org/web/19990429163 ... rt086.html

Most phenomena tend to be the result of a wide diversity of causes - far too easy to lose sight of their interactions, of the fact that one can compound or amplify another.

But of particular note in that interview that you might be interested in is Schützenberger's fairly credible delineation of the "sects" within "neo-Darwinism" and a description of the salient proponents:
Research (interviewer): What is your definition of Darwinism?

M.-P. Schützenberger: I will take the most common modern version, an offensive representative of which is Briton Richard Dawkins. It consists in considering that the evolution of living beings can be explained by the tandem selection-mutations at random. Within this doctrine, we must distinguish two schools, mutually contradictory: the gradualists, of whom Dawkins is the most radical herald, and the saltationists, of which the American Stephen Jay Gould is an equally radical herald. For gradualists, evolution proceeds only in small successive steps. For the saltationists, who have not, moreover, provided the effort of such a structured presentation, the evolution proceeds essentially by leaps.
Schützenberger then goes on to describe a "third conglomerate of churches" which seems to hold the high ground:
Finally, it comes from the irruption in this debate, in the wake of the cybernetic movement, mathematicians and physicists, such as René Thom or Ilya Prigogine , and more recently researchers from the Santa Fe Institute, in the United States,Stuart Kauffman , a doctor in love with mathematical logic who receives the sound support of the great physicist Murray Gell-Mann . This third conglomerate of churches applies mathematical concepts to the fundamental problem of evolution, which is that of functional complexity. Here I find myself concerned in a more personal way.
But that's something of a preamble to your (much) earlier argument:
Mayr was talking about animal behavior being goal-driven. Kauffman is saying molecules strive toward goals. To impart purpose or striving to evolution is non-darwinian, and inescapably summons A Higher Purpose and all that entails. Mayr was a group-selectionist (thus anti-hamiltonian, thus wrong), but his excellent work on speciation was firmly rooted in darwinian natural selection. Kauffman, otoh, is a leading proponent of non-darwinian forms of evolution.
http://slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 72#p151918

Self-organization is certainly a complex topic, and one which has its share of woo following in its train. But "Kauffman is saying molecules strive toward goals" and "Kauffman is a leading proponent of non-Darwinian forms of evolution" looks to be a serious misreading of the subject. Analogously, it is just as invalid to say that it is "summoning A Higher Purpose" in response to someone else saying that salt molecules in a solution "strive toward the goal of organizing into structured crystals".

Obviously not quite the same kettle of fish - in comparison to biological cells salt crystals have next to no "functional complexity", a phrase that Schützenberger justifiably emphasizes - but it seems clear that many complex molecules have an intrinsic ability to self organize into functional structures.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: Obviously, being a gibbering arsehole, I blew it massively with maiden fair.
Never mind, I'm sure another midden-face will be along soon enough.

Probably best to not start with your comments re 'Princess Lotus Bottom'.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

“Young men from south-west Sydney” is slang for “new Aussies of goat-fucker heritage”.

Just in case you ever need to know.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

😂 😐 😧

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Looks like they culturally appropriated the design from various British travel campaigns of the 1920s & 1930s.

What is doesn't look like is Australia - no one is wearing a hat with dangling corks.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:06 pm
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I don't know why so many people dumped on her because she was obviously just remarking on the incongruity.
I agree that she was marveling at the incongruity. And there's something good about a reporter who is extemporaneous about what they are seeing & feeling, in the moment.

BUT I also get the mass 'fuck you' from people watching her broadcast. The problem is-- CNN dropped a typical dumb 'relatable' normie into a profoundly shocking situation-- and she just kept being the same dullard-from-a-dishsoap-commerical, unfazed by the red pills raining down on her. All she did was conform to the insane Taliban by putting on her Justin Trudeau local costume.

There's another clip of her-- wearing the hijab-- delighted to be telling the camera-- that the Taliban have ordered her to stand-aside, because "I'm a woman." She's found this little moment to highlight-- she's got her human interest angle-- at very little cost to her. Not groped, raped, stoned, kidnapped, beheaded.
I saw a meme -- pairing that moment with an image of a ~male~ CNN reporter-- said to have been murdered later the same day. The meme was fake troll bullshit.
But... a real follow-up incident did occur. This same bitch reported that her filming-crew had been surrounded by Taliban... who were lashing at them & attempting to pistol whip them. But the Taliban attackers didn't swing at her. They swung at her protective retinue of males. The Taliban treat women like shit in many ways... but they also behave in the familiar manner of directing the brunt of their violence at other-men/ with the shitty treatment of women as a shitty afterthought.

After 9/11, I bicycled around & watched live-in-the-flesh as mobile tv crews-- attempted to cover the story. These lightweight people with fluffy hairspray hair-- experienced in covering salacious celebrity divorce trials and such-- attempting their best 'serious' pose... trying to emulate gravitas-- but lacking the depth to do so.

I can tell you what would have been more acceptable to viewers: When I slipped-between the police roadblocks & bicycled to ground zero on 9/11-- I tried to talk to an ambulance driver who had been waiting there for many hours-- as no living survivors were being found to put in his ambulance. Rather than blurting-out every stray thought which popped into his head... an endless smooth flow of observations & opinions... He would answer my questions by opening his mouth-- as if he were about to speak-- and then pause like-that/ at loss for how to process the too-big-for-words events into bite-sized pieces. Less talk/ more shock would have seemed more appropriate, from the CNN bitch.
____

Maybe this would pierce her bubble:

State Dept Overseas Security Advisory Council said Aug. 14“Repatriation flights are not free, and passengers will be required to sign a promissory loan agreement and may not be eligible to renew their U.S. passports until the loan is repaid. Cost may be $2,000 or more per person.”

I think you are being a little unfair. She hasn't just stepped off the plane, seems to have an understanding of the country and it's people and she neither sugarcoats nor demonises the Taliban. She seems to understand that Afghan villagers have other priorities than the "emancipation" of women, so not a stereotypical CNN loon.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Finally watched "The Green Knight" and can confirm that it's ok(ish). As many have already stated, it's very artsy, the cinematography is first-class (the colour palette changes are amazing!), there are some very strong acting performances and overall, it's an interesting addition to Arthurian legend in cinema.

Having said all that, there's something missing but I can't put my finger on it. It ticks all of the boxes required to qualify for "unmissable" status but it just doesn't make the grade. Oh, and the casting of Dev Patel as Gawain was actually quite inspired - his performance was excellent (the closing 10 minutes are probably the strongest of the entire movie but I'll avoid spoilers) and in no way detracted from the film.

See it, don't see it, no skin off my schnozz - now, off with your head!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Firing up the BT client!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I think you are being a little unfair. She hasn't just stepped off the plane, seems to have an understanding of the country and it's people and she neither sugarcoats nor demonises the Taliban. She seems to understand that Afghan villagers have other priorities than the "emancipation" of women, so not a stereotypical CNN loon.
I agree-- I missed the mark, a bit. The reporters I saw after 9/11 were lightweights-- like soap opera actors portraying surgeons. They knew nothing, but pretended at expertise.

Clarissa Ward does know something, she has actual expertise.

But... the same expert-class of people... who have been given the Institutional backing of CNN, the New York Times, etc. ...deemed worthy of Opinion-Leader status... in 2021, they're the Teacher's Pet who the other kids hate. Doesn't matter if Lisa Simpson is smart, or a pretty good kid.

We live in a time when the officially-sanctioned journalists speak in favor of censorship-- happy to call outsider voices 'misinformation', 'disinformation', racist, etc.

6 days ago, Dave Smith & Michael Malice, at the tail end of this conversation---> https://youtu.be/68QwHtf4ydk , describe a similar problem. Regarding Libertarians with institutional backing-- (such as a staffer at Reason Magazine/ or someone at the Cato Institute/ or a 'star' in academia who gets invited as an expert guest on normie tv). Such experts are likely to prioritize their own personal Status over the cause of Liberty, which they supposedly carry the flag for. There's nothing wrong with doing Both. Until you're faced with a situation where you can't do both: either say what your employers want to hear/ or suffer personally.

In the same broadcast-- when Clarissa Ward was walking among those in-line to the airport, pointing out the Taliban man with a truncheon, covering & uncovering her face-- when the man in her crew was assaulted with a rifle butt-- several men in the line, who are trying to escape Afghanistan-- crowded around, asking her how to get into the airport. She asked them to show the papers they carry-- proof they worked as translators. A moment of hope flashed across their faces-- they produced their papers for her-- as-if she could help them. She displayed the papers to the camera, described the situation for the home-audience, and then left those guys behind. They had served her purpose-- as props-- and she had no further use for them. Their needs no longer aligned with hers. That moment won't tarnish her reputation with the other Business Class Lisa Simpsons-- they only object to sleights against each-other and their masters. Not the deplorable 'little people' who they're better-than.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote: Looks like they culturally appropriated the design from various British travel campaigns of the 1920s & 1930s.

What is doesn't look like is Australia - no one is wearing a hat with dangling corks.
Stolen or not, there was quite a genre going on in the 1930s.

Though, given back then (well at least pre Singapore 1942) we still considered ourselves British.

Making it cultural ‘leverage’ rather than appropriation.

As for the beautiful people to be found harbour side. They have been easy to find ever since Potts Point was reserved for ‘estates’ in the early 19C.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Seems to me that the USA had little choice but to get out of Afghanistan, as there was no possibility of ever achieving something like a 'win'. The Afghani people aren't generally interested in becoming a western-style liberal democracy, and a significant and well-armed fanatical minority despise the idea. Staying would have meant a continued drain of blood and treasure to prop up the corrupt regime, at the expense of America looking more and more like an unpleasant colonial power. Yes. it's nice that some middle-class women in Kabul got to play at being western for a few years, but nothing changed elsewhere. It wasn't leaving that was the mistake, it was staying there after Tora Bora.
The thing that interests me is what this does to Biden. Even if a hard but necessary choice, he will pay for it politically. The progressive side of the Democrats are completely disenchanted, having now decided that the burqa is a bad thing in Afghanistan, though still a symbol of choice and freedom in the west, and the Republicans have another stick with which to beat him. I had felt he had done something clever with Kamala; having got her on board with the promise of being a one-term incumbent, he quickly dispatched her to the unwinnable immigration desk, ensuring her popularity would plummet. I believe that was deliberate and aimed at enabling him to run a second time. It was cleverly done and made me think that perhaps he isn't so senile after all. Be that as it may, he probably has lost a good deal of support from his own side, never mind strengthened the official opposition.
I expect the fallout will be that the democrats make someone progressive their candidate in 2024, probably not Bernie on grounds of age, but someone young and awfully woke. The republicans will win though, no matter who they field. I'd rather it wasn't a corrupt megalomaniac incompetent, although bumbling incompetence is better than adept evil. Interesting times.
As for the collective grief over 'losing' - remember after every war there has been one side that had to walk away wondering what it had all been for. The British Empire and the Soviet were both humiliated by the Pathan. At least you had more than a lone survivor from your invasion force.
Remnants_of_an_army.jpg
(170.67 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Remember too, that this will probably replay in Iraq.

Keating

Post by Keating »

It doesn't matter any more. The age of US power is now done. When China moves on Taiwan, which will happen sooner rather than later, it will become obvious the US is no longer capable of defending their allies. Japan and South Korea will revaluate whether they want US troops stationed in their countries. Europe will reconsider the same. We're going to return to the multipolar world that existed prior to the First World War.

ThreeFlangedJavis

screwtape wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:00 am
The thing that interests me is what this does to Biden. Even if a hard but necessary choice, he will pay for it politically
75% of Americans want out. Biden should pay for the criminally incompetent and naive manner in which the withdrawal is being implemented. His reaction has been to deny what's happening, claim the chaos was inevitable, blame Trump and generally act as if he is hopelessly out of his depth. Some of his statements have been publicly contradicted by juniors. It is difficult to overstate how incompetently this withdrawal has been handled. Blaming Trump shouldn't fly. He's not been shy about reversing everything else Trump did. The Taliban have been moving forces into strategic positions with the help of Pakistan for months so there is no way the intelligence services didn't see this coming. Whatever Trump's faults, the Taliban would never have been left in any doubt as to what would happen if they stepped out of line. Biden sends just about every wrong signal possible.

Even if you accept the unlikely idea that nobody could see the collapse coming, surely Biden's people understood that closing Bagram without warning was likely to destroy the Afghan confidence. The Afghans have been handling the Taliban for years with coalition support. Their tactics rely heavily on air support, so suddenly denying it sent the troops the message that they were being hung out to dry.
Seems to me that the USA had little choice but to get out of Afghanistan, as there was no possibility of ever achieving something like a 'win'. The Afghani people aren't generally interested in becoming a western-style liberal democracy, and a significant and well-armed fanatical minority despise the idea. Staying would have meant a continued drain of blood and treasure to prop up the corrupt regime, at the expense of America looking more and more like an unpleasant colonial power.
The last American death in Afghanistan was in Feb 2020. I think most of the 5 million inhabitants of Kabul and a lot of other Afghans aren't that interested in being ruled by the Taliban. The anti-presence brigade are spinning this as hard as everyone else. Victory is denying the country to international terrorists and that was being achieved by Afghans with the support of a very limited US force. All of the sacrifices made have been rendered pointless by withdrawing a relatively inexpensive small force. The Europeans are certainly not in agreement with the total withdrawal. The mistakes in Afghanistan were not military, they were in the corrupt civil nation building exercise. There are strategic issues with regard to China and Russia which made this a very bad move. China has likely been handed regional influence and vital mineral reserves for green technology. The Chinese have already started "naval exercises" near Taiwan in response to the doubt that Biden has caused over American commitment.
I had felt he had done something clever with Kamala; having got her on board with the promise of being a one-term incumbent, he quickly dispatched her to the unwinnable immigration desk, ensuring her popularity would plummet. I believe that was deliberate and aimed at enabling him to run a second time. It was cleverly done and made me think that perhaps he isn't so senile after all. Be that as it may, he probably has lost a good deal of support from his own side, never mind strengthened the official opposition.
You are assuming he's making the decisions. Besides, why would you want to bring on board someone hated by Democrat voters? He is undoubtedly senile and incompetent. What kind of idiot dismisses embarrassing scenes at Kabul airport by saying "that was five days ago" or claiming that there was no possible way of withdrawing from Afghanistan without ensuring an orderly evacuation?

I note that you are still stuck in Orange Man bad land. Biden's govt is busy wreaking havoc in some possibly irrevocable ways. Hard to comprehend the speed at which the social fabric is being torn, branches of government being taken over by radical partisans and state autonomy being eroded. They are deliberately driving a wedge into society while taking steps to entrench themselves in power. Luckily there are signs that enough people see what they are up to kick them out while it can still be done.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Me wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:47 am
He is undoubtedly senile and incompetent. What kind of idiot dismisses embarrassing scenes at Kabul airport by saying "that was five days ago" or claiming that there was no possible way of withdrawing from Afghanistan without ensuring an orderly evacuation?
If not obvious, I meant to say "with an orderly evacuation".

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

For the past year and half, anyone who challenged the Covidian narrative was accused of politicizing the science.

The Democrat Party just came out with a new bumper sticker:
Vaccinated-Voter.png
(59.5 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote: Seems to me that the USA had little choice but to get out of Afghanistan, as there was no possibility of ever achieving something like a 'win'. The Afghani people aren't generally interested in becoming a western-style liberal democracy, and a significant and well-armed fanatical minority despise the idea. Staying would have meant a continued drain of blood and treasure to prop up the corrupt regime, at the expense of America looking more and more like an unpleasant colonial power. Yes. it's nice that some middle-class women in Kabul got to play at being western for a few years, but nothing changed elsewhere. It wasn't leaving that was the mistake, it was staying there after Tora Bora.
The thing that interests me is what this does to Biden. Even if a hard but necessary choice, he will pay for it politically. The progressive side of the Democrats are completely disenchanted, having now decided that the burqa is a bad thing in Afghanistan, though still a symbol of choice and freedom in the west, and the Republicans have another stick with which to beat him. I had felt he had done something clever with Kamala; having got her on board with the promise of being a one-term incumbent, he quickly dispatched her to the unwinnable immigration desk, ensuring her popularity would plummet. I believe that was deliberate and aimed at enabling him to run a second time. It was cleverly done and made me think that perhaps he isn't so senile after all. Be that as it may, he probably has lost a good deal of support from his own side, never mind strengthened the official opposition.
I expect the fallout will be that the democrats make someone progressive their candidate in 2024, probably not Bernie on grounds of age, but someone young and awfully woke. The republicans will win though, no matter who they field. I'd rather it wasn't a corrupt megalomaniac incompetent, although bumbling incompetence is better than adept evil. Interesting times.
As for the collective grief over 'losing' - remember after every war there has been one side that had to walk away wondering what it had all been for. The British Empire and the Soviet were both humiliated by the Pathan. At least you had more than a lone survivor from your invasion force.

Remnants_of_an_army.jpg

Remember too, that this will probably replay in Iraq.
True. But the Second Anglo-Afghan War was a better example of ‘best practice’. 😀

Im sure the Americans will get a better strategic outcome next time they play the Great Game.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Keating wrote: It doesn't matter any more. The age of US power is now done. When China moves on Taiwan, which will happen sooner rather than later, it will become obvious the US is no longer capable of defending their allies. Japan and South Korea will revaluate whether they want US troops stationed in their countries. Europe will reconsider the same. We're going to return to the multipolar world that existed prior to the First World War.
It’ll be sorted when Biden hits the red button thinking it’s his PEEZ dispenser.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Taliban special forces.

An awkward moment is history.

Still They wear DPM better than the Zulus wore redcoats in 1879.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I’ve been having a series of Keystone-cop type calamities lately. For example, the wife didn’t clean the dryer filter before starting a load of towels. Fine, I’ll take care of it. Go into the laundry room in the dark, trip over a case of Pepsi someone left in the way, one foot lands on a new rug that the wife, bless her heart, just installed (without an anti-slip pad of course), causing me to do the splits, hurting my groin, after bashing my toes and crashing to the floor on my shoulder.

This got me thinking about Phil. Anyone heard from him lately? He appeared, last we heard from him, to be having a run of accident free months. This can’t be good for someone like Phil. I worry that all the time without an accident, means that one big disaster befell him. And then there’s that motorcycle…

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

mordacious1 wrote: I’ve been having a series of Keystone-cop type calamities lately. For example, the wife didn’t clean the dryer filter before starting a load of towels. Fine, I’ll take care of it. Go into the laundry room in the dark, trip over a case of Pepsi someone left in the way, one foot lands on a new rug that the wife, bless her heart, just installed (without an anti-slip pad of course), causing me to do the splits, hurting my groin, after bashing my toes and crashing to the floor on my shoulder.
https://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/2017/ ... -13391.jpg

:P

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

mordacious1 wrote: This got me thinking about Phil. Anyone heard from him lately? He appeared, last we heard from him, to be having a run of accident free months. This can’t be good for someone like Phil. I worry that all the time without an accident, means that one big disaster befell him. And then there’s that motorcycle…
Well, according to wikipedia, he's still an active member of his band...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairyland_(band)

So, I wouldn't worry too much just yet!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
mordacious1 wrote: This got me thinking about Phil. Anyone heard from him lately? He appeared, last we heard from him, to be having a run of accident free months. This can’t be good for someone like Phil. I worry that all the time without an accident, means that one big disaster befell him. And then there’s that motorcycle…
Well, according to wikipedia, he's still an active member of his band...
Good 'ol Wikipedia - The People's Encyclopedia (tm); almost as good as the Britannica, the gold standard ... ;)
Bhurzum wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairyland_(band)

So, I wouldn't worry too much just yet!
Indeed - think I get periodic notifications of his posts on Facebook. And those of a few of the other old-timers.

But seem to recollect that Phil had posted a link to a "dystopian" science-fiction novel some time ago. Quite a good read as I recollect but, before doing much of a search, I'm trying to find out if I had bought it or just borrowed it. Ring a bell for anyone?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Za-zen wrote: This is absolutely superb. One of the finest moments i've watched of any politician anywhere, knocked the cynicism out of me, at least for the day, as there are some in politics, who should be there.

Conan O'Brien speaks the truth, but you have to remember, Afghanistan was always just a stepping stone to Iraq. It has 1.6 billion barrels of oil reserve, which sounds like a lot (you have to give some alms to the poor) until you realize that Iraq has 100x as much, which is why, while 'Merka might withdraw from Iraq, it will never--can never--allow a takeover like in 'stan. Everything is simple when you follow the oil.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sydney Morning Herald

Rescue dogs shot dead by NSW council due to COVID-19 restrictions

By Angus Thompson
August 22, 2021 — 12.43pm

Several impounded dogs due to be rescued by a shelter have instead been shot dead by a rural council in NSW under its interpretation of COVID-19 restrictions, alarming animal activists and prompting a government probe.

Bourke Shire Council, in the state’s north-west, killed the dogs to prevent volunteers at a Cobar-based animal shelter from travelling to pick up the animals last week, according to council’s watchdog, the Office of Local Government.

Several dogs have been shot by a rural pound to due to social distancing.CREDIT:LAURA HARDWICK

“OLG has been informed that the council decided to take this course of action to protect its employees and community, including vulnerable Aboriginal populations :banana-dreads: , from the risk of COVID-19 transmission,” a spokesman from the government agency said.

The spokesman said the agency was examining the circumstances of the incident to find out whether companion animal and cruelty prevention laws had been broken.

The Herald attempted to contact the council administration multiple times, but received no response, and a member of Rural Outback Respite/Rescue – the shelter that was supposed to receive the dogs – declined to comment.

A source who is familiar with the arrangement said the shelter volunteers are distressed and had COVID-safe measures in place to handle the dogs, one of which was a new mother.

According to NSW Health, there have been no recent locally acquired COVID-19 cases in Cobar, although fragments of the virus have been found in the area’s sewerage system.

The Office of Local Government Minister Shelley Hancock, who has previously faced questions in Parliament over the shooting of animals in council pounds, did not comment. However, animal liberation campaigner Lisa Ryan called for an urgent investigation.

“We are deeply distressed and completely appalled by this callous dog shooting and we totally reject council’s unacceptable justifications that this killing was apparently undertaken as part of a COVID- safe plan,” Ms Ryan, Animal Liberation’s regional campaign manager, said.

Asked during budget estimates in March whether she knew about councils shooting animals to euthanise them, Ms Hancock said she didn’t.

“If it was a practice, I would be concerned about it — if it was a cat or a dog,” she said, before agreeing to answer questions on notice regarding the practice.

A later answer said councils weren’t required to tell the government how they killed animals under their care.

Ms Ryan said, based on her answers during the hearing, Ms Hancock was “clearly oblivious to the reality of the serious issues involving many NSW council pounds.”

Greens animal welfare spokeswoman Abigail Boyd said the government had undertaken no action since the issues had been raised with Ms Hancock during the parliamentary hearing.

“While the Liberal-National government twiddles its thumbs on animal welfare issues, more animals are being killed,” she said.

“Council pounds are paid for by local communities, and it is clear that shooting lost and unclaimed dogs housed in these publicly-funded facilities falls far short of community expectations.”

The OLG spokesman said the agency issued advice to all councils about operating pounds during the COVID-19 outbreak, including changing procedures to ensure those services continued while keeping staff and volunteers safe.

“Councils are also encouraged to continue to work with re-homing organisations and volunteers to care for animals, where that can be undertaken consistent with NSW Health advice,” the spokesman said.

RELATED ARTICLE
New research has found dogs appear to be better than cats for helping their owners deal with the mental effects of lockdowns.
Coronavirus pandemic
The cat’s out of the bag, lockdown life in the dog house was best
On July 30, the agency said pounds and shelters could remain open to the public, and as people involved in animal welfare, their staff were authorised workers in locked-down areas.

“Accordingly, prospective new owners should still be encouraged to “adopt not shop”, consistent with NSW Health advice,” the OLG stated.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/res ... 58ksh.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sydney Morning Herald

Locked-down neighbours complain about kids using chalk on driveway

Neighbourhood tensions are rising among Sydney’s apartment dwellers as the lockdown enters its ninth week, with one mother the subject of a complaint for letting her daughters use chalk on the communal driveway.

The Sun-Herald has heard multiple accounts of neighbours or strata committees across Sydney writing to residents to complain about children making noise or playing on common property.

Police Commissioner Mick Fuller now has the power to order a residential apartment block into lockdown until NSW Health has assessed the risk, rather than waiting for a section 62 order under the Public Health Act. He was also given the power to declare a residential dwelling a COVID-risk premises and require all people to present to police during compliance checks.

“A section 62 order takes time; they have to wait for positive tests, which means whilst that’s happening people are still mobile,” Commissioner Fuller said at the press conference on Friday.

”Now we don’t have to wait for the section 62 order, I can make an order, and we can lock that down to allow Health to come in and make a proper assessment before some people unfortunately escape...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/loc ... 58k9o.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sydney Morning Herald

‘We have had three police visits’: Online dance classes spark invalid complaints

The sound of children’s laughter and loud chatter spills onto Duntroon Street most days of the week during lockdown from a dance studio in Hurlstone Park.

The noise has sparked a flurry of complaints to police about a suspected breach of public health orders.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/we- ... 58k5b.html

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: Sydney Morning Herald

‘We have had three police visits’: Online dance classes spark invalid complaints

The sound of children’s laughter and loud chatter spills onto Duntroon Street most days of the week during lockdown from a dance studio in Hurlstone Park.

The noise has sparked a flurry of complaints to police about a suspected breach of public health orders.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/we- ... 58k5b.html
haha... okay... so... I get it. Most people think we Americans are crazy. and maybe we are.... but this shit in Australia and New Zealand are out of this world... haha!

My insane neighbor goes outside to work in her yard with a mask on. She is a retired nurse. Sorry... but... nurses are the worst. They are smart enough to think they are smart but too stupid to figure what is really true. She was out fertilizing my fucking yard this week.... but she was just fertilizing the edge of my yard. Just enough to burn out my grass. I yelled at her to stop... and she is like... well I thought this would help.... I'm like NO... don't fertilize my lawn! Haha.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Conan O'Brien speaks the truth, but you have to remember, Afghanistan was always just a stepping stone to Iraq. It has 1.6 billion barrels of oil reserve, which sounds like a lot (you have to give some alms to the poor) until you realize that Iraq has 100x as much, which is why, while 'Merka might withdraw from Iraq, it will never--can never--allow a takeover like in 'stan. Everything is simple when you follow the oil.
[/quote]
Simple, but not necessarily true, and very tempting if you are of a certain mindset.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Clean up of borked post.
Hunt wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:57 am
Simple, but not necessarily true, and very tempting if you are of a certain mindset.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

A wee slice of foolishness...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Nancy Pelosi at 1min38sec: Those horrible fascist misogynist Taliban _might_ close Afghanistan's beauty salons:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: people think we Americans are crazy. and maybe we are
I spoke to my boomer uncle last night. He was drafted during Vietnam & hated Nixon. He was an 'Alice's Restaurant' kind of guy, so I thought he'd have a lot to say about Afghanistan. But-- he really didn't. He made his peace with "we just need to get out'" way-back before 1975, so it's easy to apply that directly to Afghanistan now & dismiss the 'messy' part.

He's all-in on vaccines & mask mandates. "If having to wear a mask is the only infringement on your freedom, you've got it pretty good'.

He's got the residual Trump Derangement Syndrome: any criticism of Biden immediately provokes a mention of Trump. At least he stays low-key & conversational instead of frothing.

The only thing I said-- which pierced his Democrats Good Republicans Bad worldview-- was when I told-him-- the only political argument I really care about, is the berserk short-temper my brother has developed, when we disagree. I hate that politics interferes with that relationship.

News of the worldwide reaction to covid lockdowns, mandatory vaxshots, afghanistan, other issues... is a dose of sanity, when every dispute in the US is reduced to Biden vs. Trump.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:35 am
Nancy Pelosi at 1min38sec: Those horrible fascist misogynist Taliban _might_ close Afghanistan's beauty salons:

This makes sense. Pelosi is always thinking about hair salons, even when she shut them down for everyone else.

And it wasn't her fault, obviously. She used the Marion Barry defense.
Bitch set me up... I shouldn't have come up here... goddamn bitch.
https://libquotes.com/marion-barry/quote/lbm2j6b