You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Hunt

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Hunt »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:30 am
It's funny how emergency and existential crisis give the lie to most concrete idealistic positions. The fact that pandemics seem to spring primarily from one part of the world will call for the culturally insensitive shutting down of traditional wet markets in that are. PZ would apply a hot poker to feet if ultimately that meant revealing the location of a hidden nuclear bomb in Morris. The most ardent libertarian would give the UN authority over any sovereign if it meant his family didn't die from Ebola. Free marketers will laud universal minimum income it it means keeping the violent masses at bay. The future is going to step on a lot of toes.

Ideals are based in the "perfect world", not the real one. I'm not saying they're not important. Most of our lives are spent in a kind of fantasy.
I don't see how the fact that individuals will act in their own self-interest in extreme circumstances negates idealistic beliefs. Even those idealists engaging in the selfish acts would not deny in principal that society would be justified in punishing them. In fact, a lot of ideals are to do with recognising the universality of individual self-interest and trying to negate it at a societal level.
Don't take it as in insult if I say that this is the typical, and proper, if canned, response. It's the one that always has heads nodding. But...the fact is that these objectionable responses become the publicly approved ones in the time of crisis. There may well later be public atonement, contrite apologies, etc. But at that point, what difference does it make? Take, for example, Japanese internment during WWII. Does anyone think there wasn't a premeditated and probably entirely nonracist element to it, in the heat of the moment? The fact is that public response in times of crisis calls for actions in direct conflict with our supposedly "higher ideals". And what happens when crisis becomes, more or less, a permanent state of affairs?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Hunt wrote:
Hunt-- I think your point would be clearer-- if you framed it as 'fair weather' preferences, rather than 'in a perfect world' ideals. You make it sound like anyone who subscribes-to any values-- is lost chasing a hopeless utopia, doomed to become a hypocrite. Rather than merely a state of deciding-to make compromises one would rather-not.

And some people do choose to be martyrs to a principle.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Service Dog wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Hunt-- I think your point would be clearer-- if you framed it as 'fair weather' preferences, rather than 'in a perfect world' ideals. You make it sound like anyone who subscribes-to any values-- is lost chasing a hopeless utopia, doomed to become a hypocrite. Rather than merely a state of deciding-to make compromises one would rather-not.

And some people do choose to be martyrs to a principle.
I agree, and yes, my examples are often hyperbolic. I've just noticed, over and over again, how readily so called idealistic commitments are compromised in the face of exigent reality, even at the highest level. (We all understand personal weakness.) Take a really banal example: George W Bush's utter capitulation to Keynesian economics (government stimulus) in the face of economic collapse.

And it goes both ways, as that example above illustrates. We all know the stereotypical right winger who thinks the libtard lives in la la land. But the right occupies its own fantasy island and drops its pretenses as readily as does the left when the going gets rough.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

When I think of 'unwarranted fear', I think of a nerd in an elevator freaking-out over another nerd inviting her to enjoy late-night coffee.

Another unwarranted fear-- would be the fear of getting raped by non-feminists at an atheist convention. (Watch out for the feminists, tho!)

With this in mind, please enjoy ultra-conservative anti-sex activist Rebecca Watson telling you that baseless fears are a dumb-conservative thing.

At 3 & 1/2 minutes, she says "I know, I know, the irony..." and I actually thought she was going to be self-aware. Nope.

Also...

6m11s "blocking traffic" is totally ok. But 8m38s "inhibiting progress" is totally wrong. Got that?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Now Rebecca, let's take the same concepts and apply them to Covid-19.

In the words of Rebecca Watson-- back in April-- "in a pandemic, doing the right thing is going to feel like an over-reaction. If you do the wrong thing, you're going to look back and regret that you didn't do enough."
https://youtu.be/x4mKQxNLoyw?t=459

(Please don't apply that to riots, looting, arson, mob violence, and actual communist revolutionary insurrection, tho.)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Service Dog wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:39 am
When I think of 'unwarranted fear', I think of a nerd in an elevator freaking-out over another nerd inviting her to enjoy late-night coffee.

Another unwarranted fear-- would be the fear of getting raped by non-feminists at an atheist convention. (Watch out for the feminists, tho!)

With this in mind, please enjoy ultra-conservative anti-sex activist Rebecca Watson telling you that baseless fears are a dumb-conservative thing.

At 3 & 1/2 minutes, she says "I know, I know, the irony..." and I actually thought she was going to be self-aware. Nope.

.ttps://youtu.be/1q6mUkj12gY

Also...

6m11s "blocking traffic" is totally ok. But 8m38s "inhibiting progress" is totally wrong. Got that?
*shrug*

Is Twatson still relevant? Full disclosure : When this whole business started I believed her.

Today my view is she lied. She was heading back to her hotel room alone and pissed off because she was not going to get an oil change.

So shortly after she made a video stating that she was still very fuckable.

That is all folks. A lot of fuss about nothing except for her fear that she was hitting the wall.

Whatever Man. Fuck (Die Antwood)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

AndrewV69 wrote: *shrug*

Is Twatson still relevant? Full disclosure : When this whole business started I believed her.

Today my view is she lied. She was heading back to her hotel room alone and pissed off because she was not going to get an oil change.

So shortly after she made a video stating that she was still very fuckable.

That is all folks. A lot of fuss about nothing except for her fear that she was hitting the wall.

Whatever Man. Fuck (Die Antwood)
Even if you are wrong - it doesn't increase her relevancy (at least I'm hope not).

I think Service Dog was using her as an example of left wing opinion, and also appealing to the negative esteem most round these parts hold her in.

nb I'm all for PZ & Watson both finding a level of notoriety commensurate with their talent and the amount of work they are prepared to put in.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

BLM: you had One Job. Convince people you're the -victim- of police bullying...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Speaking of...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Andrew is correct-- Watson is a footnote, these days.

She has recently posted videos with Ben Shapiro and Mikhaila Peterson's names in the titles-- obvious attempts to draw attention, via a reply from more-popular people.

Or again play victim, if Watson can bait their supporters into sending her nastygrams.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Andrew is correct-- Watson is a footnote, these days.
The more she ages, the more she looks like a dude.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

That virologist's name is Li-Meng Yan. I googled her name + EcoHealth ...the organization whose president free_thoughtpolice cited yesterday.

One result-- was a link detailing the claim that Covid-19 was manufactured by the CCP, with many commenters tying EcoHealth into the plot.
Pete Ross5/30/2020 05:56:29 am
To add or subtract from the mystery of SARS-2 (CoV2) origins are this series of tweets from Dr. Peter Daszak of EcoHealth Alliance, recently deprived of NIH funding just last month.
NIH funding seems to be a small fraction of the Pentagon-associated Alliance, being all at once a private charity NGO , a global megacorporations' NGO and a defense contractor, with an annual estimated annual operating budget ranging from $16 to $99 million and biosafety laboratories in at least 30 countries.
EcoHealth Alliance is a spinff of the Rockefeller's WWF - World Wildlife Fund.
The Pandemic Century: One Hundred Years of Panic, Hysteria, ...books.google.co.il › books
For Daszak and his colleagues in the EcoHealth Alliance, the buzz generated by Disease X presented an opportunity to leverage additional funding for research ...
Mark Honigsbaum - 2019 - ‎Medical
https://nerdhaspower.weebly.com/blog/sc ... s-man-made

I have no opinion on the validity of such claims. At least the blog states it's claims in a clear manner. I'm just pointing-out that an elaborate conspiracy & attempted cover-up is being alleged, with figures and orgs we talked-about yesterday-- squarely in the center.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
That virologist's name is Li-Meng Yan. I googled her name + EcoHealth ...the organization whose president free_thoughtpolice cited yesterday.

One result-- was a link detailing the claim that Covid-19 was manufactured by the CCP, with many commenters tying EcoHealth into the plot.
Pete Ross5/30/2020 05:56:29 am
To add or subtract from the mystery of SARS-2 (CoV2) origins are this series of tweets from Dr. Peter Daszak of EcoHealth Alliance, recently deprived of NIH funding just last month.
NIH funding seems to be a small fraction of the Pentagon-associated Alliance, being all at once a private charity NGO , a global megacorporations' NGO and a defense contractor, with an annual estimated annual operating budget ranging from $16 to $99 million and biosafety laboratories in at least 30 countries.
EcoHealth Alliance is a spinff of the Rockefeller's WWF - World Wildlife Fund.
The Pandemic Century: One Hundred Years of Panic, Hysteria, ...books.google.co.il › books
For Daszak and his colleagues in the EcoHealth Alliance, the buzz generated by Disease X presented an opportunity to leverage additional funding for research ...
Mark Honigsbaum - 2019 - ‎Medical
https://nerdhaspower.weebly.com/blog/sc ... s-man-made

I have no opinion on the validity of such claims. At least the blog states it's claims in a clear manner. I'm just pointing-out that an elaborate conspiracy & attempted cover-up is being alleged, with figures and orgs we talked-about yesterday-- squarely in the center.
Certainly plausible that the Chin were dinking around with weaponizing bat virii for eventual use against the Yang, when some doofus broke their already shoddy containment protocol and let this one loose.

But of course even considering that possibility makes be a xenophobe and a tin-foil-hat nut, because c'mon man, China's not our enemy!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: when some doofus broke their already shoddy containment protocol and let this one loose.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/77/08 ... 13cf9e.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

View of my hills yesterday. It's the same this morning:
Caliornia_dreamin.JPG
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 1029 times

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: View of my hills yesterday. It's the same this morning:

Caliornia_dreamin.JPG
I’m in San Jose. My weather app usually measures visibility in miles, today it is 1300 yards. Hopefully, it doesn’t get down to feet.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Heavy smoke from fires in the US moved in to my area yesterday afternoon. It's forecast to blanket about half of British Columbia in the next few days.
There is a massive smoke cloud in the satellite shots. Amazing how far it has spreading.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Heavy smoke from fires in the US moved in to my area yesterday afternoon. It's forecast to blanket about half of British Columbia in the next few days.
There is a massive smoke cloud in the satellite shots. Amazing how far it has spreading.
Even farther away:
Orange skies seen across Britain on Friday were caused by wildfires currently burning 5,000 miles away on the West Coast of America.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... olour.html

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Yet another podcast. I have listened to the Helen Pluckrose episode and am listening to the Heather Heying episode. Both are excellent:

https://www.theunspeakablepodcast.com/

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Hunt wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: when some doofus broke their already shoddy containment protocol and let this one loose.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/77/08 ... 13cf9e.jpg
Could be worse:
12 Monkeys Superspreader.jpg
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

mordacious1 wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: View of my hills yesterday. It's the same this morning:

Caliornia_dreamin.JPG
I’m in San Jose. My weather app usually measures visibility in miles, today it is 1300 yards. Hopefully, it doesn’t get down to feet.
Right, if it got as low as 3900 feet that would be apocalyptic!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote: Could be worse:

If only we could send Bruce Willis back in time to February, to convince Trump to not say the same things about the virus that the Dems were saying!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Don't worry, Matt.

Big-city activists to the rescue!

WHAT DO WE WANT? CLIMATE JUSTICE! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!

This was posted on my block:

You're welcome!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Service Dog wrote: Don't worry, Matt.

You're welcome!
Conversely, to ignore the climate signature and go yeah whatever is the equivalent of saying InShallah. And to that I say fuck off.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Forest fires cause global warming causing forest fires causing global warming causing forest fires causing global warming

global warming causes more rain causing more trees causing more fires causing global warming causing more rain causing more trees causing more fires

https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report ... increasing

if only everyone would quit their jobs and stay home and stop traveling

Really?

Post by Really? »

You're welcome!
PANDEMICS FAMINE INJUSTICE FOSSIL FUELS RACISM POLICE VIOLENCE SEA LEVEL RISE ECOCIDE

The Wildfire March certainly has a clear focus.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Really? wrote:

You're welcome!
PANDEMICS FAMINE INJUSTICE FOSSIL FUELS RACISM POLICE VIOLENCE SEA LEVEL RISE ECOCIDE

The Wildfire March certainly has a clear focus.
And wait a minute. Are there forest wildfires in NYC? Am I missing something?

And what's with the bees?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Really? wrote: And what's with the bees?
Let's check out their website. xrebellion.nyc @XR_NYC

"JOIN THE SEPTEMBER REBELLION

Climate breakdown, COVID-19, racial injustice – all are symptoms of a toxic system that is driving us to extinction. At the root of these threats to life are centuries of white supremacy, patriarchy, and colonialism—a pattern of treating the earth as a commodity and Black and brown lives as disposable.

It would be easy to sit back and despair because government has failed us. Politicians ignored the warnings about COVID-19 as they have denied the facts of the climate crisis. State-sanctioned violence against people of color continues while politicians fuel racism to gain votes. And powerful elites burn the planet for profit.

But everywhere you look, a collective rage is growing. People are pouring into the streets, taking back community control. Mass unemployment, uncertainty about schools reopening, a broken healthcare system, police violence - enough is enough. We have an opportunity NOW as we emerge from the pandemic to change the system. And we can do so together.

“Business-as-usual” is fighting to regain its hold, but we won’t let that happen. We. Will. Rebel. For life. For justice. For a future."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

It's Gaiantifa.

If those cunts want to do something about forest fires, they can drag their sorry asses out here and join the work crews clearing brush and performing proscribed burns. And for great exercise, nothing beats trudging around in heavy clothing, draped in gear, while flamethrowing about you in 105°weather.

Something tells me they'll stick to marching at a leisurely pace, then hitting the local kombucha bar to celebrate their victory over climate change.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The socialists and commies of the last century at least went to Spain.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be,
But half the bee has got to be, vis a vis, its entity (d'you see?)
But can a bee be said to be, or not to be an, entire bee
When half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: It's Gaiantifa.

If those cunts want to do something about forest fires, they can drag their sorry asses out here and join the work crews clearing brush and performing proscribed burns. And for great exercise, nothing beats trudging around in heavy clothing, draped in gear, while flamethrowing about you in 105°weather.

Something tells me they'll stick to marching at a leisurely pace, then hitting the local kombucha bar to celebrate their victory over climate change.
Try PREscribing 'em, not PROscribing.

Jes' sayin'

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:20 pm
screwtape wrote: Could be worse:

If only we could send Bruce Willis back in time to February, to convince Trump to not say the same things about the virus that the Dems were saying!
"Yippie ki yay, Cheeto Motherfucker."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

To the people in the areas affected by the wildfires, stay safe, yeah? Please? :romance-grouphug:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Pitchguest wrote: To the people in the areas affected by the wildfires, stay safe, yeah? Please? :romance-grouphug:
My place in the Santa Cruz mountains was less than ten miles from the Big Basic lightning complex. So far I think it stands. I was there about fifteen years ago when a dry weather lighting storm came over and started about five fires. My neighbor had a direct hit to a fir tree in his back yard. Suddenly there were about ten tanker planes zooming here and there. It was like Pearl Harbor.

Anyway I'm a little fatalistic at this point. Sooner or later, it's all going to burn to the ground. It's a matter of global warming and the fact that a hundred years of fire management has left a ton of shit all over the forest floor. The redwoods don't really give a shit. It was amusing after they reentered Big Basin that news reporters said much of the old growth survived. No shit Sherlock. Anyone who has lived in redwoods has seen the recorded hundred years of carbon chars on them. Redwoods are designed to survive fires, redwood bark is naturally fire retardant. I'd go as much as to say they LIKE fires. What doesn't like fires are Chipboard Manner McMansions.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

But thanks PG, for the sentiment. How are you faring these days?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Hunt wrote: But thanks PG, for the sentiment. How are you faring these days?
It's alright, mate. I think I'm finally "done" mourning my dad's death, now it's just the longing that remains. Still, I'm working, I'm doing stuff, I'm back to shitposting online. I got my health. Cheers. :D

Is the sky dark red at your place, or just bright orange?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote:
I like traffic lights.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The study-- touted by Rebecca Watson-- which claimed that the Sturgis motorcycle rally was a massive superspreader event-- has been debunked from many directions:

--the study was not vetted by any medical journal, but published at the Journal of Labor Economics website

--the study's model was based on single high volume day of testing, extrapolating as-if that day's rate of new positive covid test results-- was ongoing.

--the study ignored the lack of change in South Dakota's covid death rate, post Sturgis; and the nationwide downturn in new covid cases post-Sturgis.

--the time-period examined by the study conveniently cut-off right-when the data began to contradict the study's claims.

--the study used cellphone data from Sturgis attendees to track the attendees back to their home counties. The study's model then compared the rate of new positive Covid tests in those counties, vs. the rate of new positive Covid tests in counties with no Sturgis attendees.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the model then 'went off the rails' by attributing 100% of the discrepancy between Sturgis-attending counties vs. non-Sturgis attending counties... to Sturgis attendance. Regardless of other factors-- such as whether the counties' rates of positive covid tests were already diverging-- Prior To Sturgis.

Additionally-- the higher number of positive tests in counties with Sturgis attendees-- is attributable to the large amount of publicity regarding Sturgis and Covid: Sturgis attendees were more likely to get tested than non-sturgis attendees... yielding more positive test results, vs. non-covid-attending populations which did not seek testing.

--Most of post-Sturgis positive tests were asymptomatic, or accompanied by minor symptoms. However the study assumed each positive test resulted in $46,000 of medical expenses-- for a grand total of $12.2 Billion in expenses.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-sturgi ... 1599694411
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-mo ... rch-doubt/
https://youtu.be/0Uw-Jle_cH8?t=80

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think I'm going to have to review my sources for medical advice.

The one quoted above seems to be be qualified to keep balls in the air - and very little else.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Speaking of Comicsgate - (the SJW entry-ism into corporate comicbook companies, and the associated kickback) - as we weren't...

I've not been reading Ethan van Sciver's Cyberfrog (the concept seems silly - and not in a 'Reid Flemming World's Toughest Milkman' kind of way). So, I'm wondering if any of the comics officianados around these parts read any of the current crop, or is their appreciation mainly out of nostalgia?

nb For those interested - I can recommend the short summaries from 'Strange Brain Parts' - example below - though he seems to be in the nostalgia camp based on recent comment that he stopped collecting over 10 years ago.

The end of the industry (ie Marvel & DC - and the ecosystem they sustain) has been predicted for over 40 years - but maybe they are finally going the way of the pulps.

Manga Uber Alles...and all that.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Manga Uber Alles...and all that.
I'll just dump this here:

(highly recommended "gateway" to the world of manga)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
I like traffic lights.
<heads> But only when they're green.

<tails> I like Chinese.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Pitchguest wrote:
Hunt wrote: But thanks PG, for the sentiment. How are you faring these days?
It's alright, mate. I think I'm finally "done" mourning my dad's death, now it's just the longing that remains. Still, I'm working, I'm doing stuff, I'm back to shitposting online. I got my health. Cheers. :D

Is the sky dark red at your place, or just bright orange?
I'm out of the state at the moment but I assume it's a nice apocalyptic orange. Last year, even with no fires in the immediate area it there was a dreadful haze everywhere. Quite unpleasant. I used to hate the onset of the rainy season, now it's a relief.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

GODFREY ELFWICK takes it to the Next Level

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I've had vertigo all day -- I was told it may due to the high CO2 content of the air and shallow breathing due to the air smelling like an ashtray.

Apparently the winds will switch to SW tomorrow, helping us Californians. Fuck Nevada.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I've had vertigo all day -- I was told it may due to the high CO2 content of the air and shallow breathing due to the air smelling like an ashtray.

Apparently the winds will switch to SW tomorrow, helping us Californians. Fuck Nevada.
Bollocks. CO2 is an invisible, odourless, plant food. Don't give me your bleating.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Pollution is just unprocessed fertilizer. Just as the Chinese.

https://thehill.com/sites/default/files ... k=rq-Lj5pP

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

First colonisation of Mars?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote:
First colonisation of Mars?
Richard Carrier with all his girlfriends?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

It's how Bladerunner 2049 depicted Vegas, though the way we're going they're going to be way off the mark.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Bhurzum wrote: Richard Carrier with all his girlfriends?
Your visibility while driving down I-5.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Some mad bugger has uploaded this classic #BLM movie to YT - catch it whilst you can!

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
La de da... te he he... Eric... the half-a-bee!!!!

John D

Post by John D »

Is this some sort of demi-bee... half asleep upon my knee? Some freak from a menagerie. No! It's Eric the half-a-bee. (yes.... I pulled this from my memory. haha.)