You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Service Dog »

KiwiInOz wrote: Here you can see the virus mutating in almost real time. Absolutely fascinating.

Just remember to wash your hands.
The purple arrows emerge from China, of course. And as the rainbow of mutations increase & criss-cross, no lines travel back-in to China...
until one brave, little American-red arrow shot-back at China. Take that! USA! USA!

=

Tonight, I've been tracking another global pandemic. One which will require the indefinite closing of the world's most beautiful scenic mountains, cliffs, rivers, coasts, wild animal preserves... all celebratory social gatherings.... and definitely definitely all RAILWAYS. In fact-- only a universal Shelter In Bed order can hope to flatten this fatal curve...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... and_deaths

Mandatory facemasks/burqas might help stop my camdemic.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

on the serious side-- unless this is fake news from feminists who can't stand not-being the world's biggest victims, for once...

All at once, there is an outbreak of news articles about outbreaks of domestic violence-- due to people spending all their time at home. So many articles: https://tinyurl.com/vcmqe3z

It seems to me-- if this phenomenon is real-- that all the kids being sent home from school are likewise at-risk of a giant upswing in child abuse... (which is disproportionately committed by mothers, not fathers.)

I do see other headlines, expressing concern for child abuse. But I'm always a little amazed that the publicized face of Domestic Violence victims is adult women, not children.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Service Dog wrote: Tonight, I've been tracking another global pandemic. One which will require the indefinite closing of the world's most beautiful scenic mountains, cliffs, rivers, coasts, wild animal preserves... all celebratory social gatherings.... and definitely definitely all RAILWAYS. In fact-- only a universal Shelter In Bed order can hope to flatten this fatal curve...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... and_deaths
I remember a few years back that even the analog photography community was posting warnings on blogs and in forums to avoid taking photographs on railway lines because of the surprising number of deaths.

And talking of Shelter in Bed, in the physician Richard Asher (father of the model Jane, who was one of Paul McCartney's girlfriends, and the person who first described and named Munchausen's Syndrome), wrote a monograph in the BMJ in 1947 on The Dangers of Going to Bed:
► Show Spoiler
Some prescient remarks there on the evils of lying abed. Later he wrote a collection of various medical thoughts (Talking Sense, long out of print) and wondered, tongue in cheek, if the large numbers of deep vein thromboses seen amongst users of the early high dose birth control pills was due to the pills or whether it happened because such ladies were now able to spend more time in bed! A clever and irreverent man, he died by suicide in 1969.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

You've probably got an opinion about the General Lying-In Hospital too.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Since I had such good luck asking about this sort of thing before...

Does anyone have any recommendations for YouTube channels that do long form interviews (up to around 3 hours) with authors and other such notables...

The 'Film Archives' channel seems to have become rather inactive - but I downloaded a couple of things from there. Mary Roach and Patrick Cockburn if I'm recalling correctly - they may have originated from C-Spans 'Book TV'.

This things work well for me - I can just download the audio to listen to when walking. So 2 - 3 hours is a good length. Yeah, I know - Joe Rogan - but I find is content to be variable.

On the other hand - I also enjoy short stories - so if anyone has a favourite reading from YouTube - let me know (I've got HorrorBabble and Edward French from last time). And I'm looking for short time travel stories at the moment. (Though any recommendation would be appreciated).

cheers...

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Many peoploe are saying this dude has XDS (XI derangement syndrome:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ Myers recent observation:

“I am professionally a biologist, and Lord but I hate that phrase “biological sex”. What does it mean?”

Keating

Post by Keating »

MarcusAu wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for YouTube channels that do long form interviews (up to around 3 hours) with authors and other such notables...
Here's my current list that matches your requirements to at least some extent:

Eric Weinstein:
https://www.youtube.com/user/nobani88/videos

Michael Malice:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5tj5Q ... 5Xw/videos

Triggernometry:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7oPkq ... -6w/videos

Benjamin Boyce:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm13xH ... Z3Q/videos

Rebel Wisdom:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQ6Gp ... Umw/videos

Dave Smith:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DSmithcomic/videos

Former Deputy PM John Anderson:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnYSE ... Uww/videos

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for YouTube channels that do long form interviews (up to around 3 hours) with authors and other such notables...
EconTalk is the very best. And it's not strictly limited to 'economics'...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAu-m ... KPA/videos

honorable mentions...

Cartoonist Kayfabe(looking-back at past-greats in the comic book industry), look for the Shoot Interviews playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0v4I ... /playlists

Art of Wrestling, look for the Full Episodes playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ColtCabana ... /playlists

WTF Podcast with Marc Maron
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0xgw_ ... 3hw/videos

the New Culture Forum with Peter Whittle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYHZz ... wMQ/videos

Mises institute economics
https://www.youtube.com/user/misesmedia/videos

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I've just-begun this Nick Gillespie/Reason Magazine interview with "Rational Optimist" Matt Ridley.

But he has enlightened me-- that bats need to practice social distancing, to stop incubating viruses. So I'm hooked...

https://reason.com/podcast/matt-ridley- ... -pandemic/

Pseudomonas

Post by Pseudomonas »

Keating wrote:
Pseudomonas wrote: <Tap Tap... > Is this thing back on?

Pauline Hanson. The sad thing is that people vote for her.
She was better before Abbott destroyed her, but, yeah, she is dumb. The really sad thing is that she's still better than the Sarah Hanson-Youngs of the Senate.
To me, she always sounds like she's about to burst into tears. No argument about SHY... :bjarte:

Pseudomonas

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

After considerable research, handling and firing a variety of handguns, and much hemming and hawing, I went and bought a Beretta 92:
Beretta.JPG
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 793 times

Actually, I bought it over a month ago. But the state DOJ had bolloxed the gun shop’s FFL licensing paperwork, so they were limited to selling fishing tackle. Two weeks later, they were official again, so I drove the hour and half, passed the background check, aced the 30-question safety test, then waited the obligatory ten day ‘cooling down’ period to drive the hour and half back, pass the loading/unloading test, and finally take it home.

In the middle of all this, the virus panic hit. On my second of three trips, the governor had just issued a state-wide lock-down the day before. Fearing that gun and ammo sales would be stopped, folks swarmed the gun stores. It was a madhouse.

Funny thing, though: certain municipalities did start shutting down gun stores, all while releasing thousands of prisoners unable to ‘social distance’ in their jail cells, and tasking LE with enforcing self-quarantines. Because self-defense is “not an essential function”. Oh, and because too many new gun owners stuck at home might lead to a spike in suicides, domestic violence, and negligent discharges. Which makes abrogating constitutional rights okay.

Fortunately for me, the county in question took a more hands-off approach, because there’s a 30-day window to pick up your new gun before having to start the process all over. The shop was nearly out of ammo, though they'd set aside some 9x19 for me. I’m also low on buckshot but the best they could offer was BB.

Anyway, I love the damn thing. It’s an A1, a derivative of the FS, but with a small picatinny rail in front of the trigger guard. It’s sweet to operate, fits perfectly in my big mitts, and has several built-in safety features. With being so used to my shotgun, I'll need to work on my stance and my trigger pull. As soon as I can score some more target load, that is.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Well, after a lengthy spell of radio silence, I managed to get in touch with my daughters again. Basically, a friend of a friend let slip that my youngest, always the more level-headed of the pair, has moved in with a "nae user" (Scottish slang for a scumbag), promptly lost her job, severed all ties with the family and has become a social outcast.

Obviously this news did not sit well with me and after wrestling with it for a few days, I released my winged monkeys to track down and obtain contact info.

Got into touch with my eldest first (Victoria) and had a rather emotional conversation on the phone. Not afraid to admit I was bubbling like a big Jessie (Scottish slang for wuss), went from feeling overcome with guilt to bursting with pride at how well she has developed over the years - she's working as assistant manager in a care home (elderly and mental health residents), has a mortgage on a beautiful wee house (first rung of the property ladder) and is getting married next year - they had to postpone this due to work/financial upheaval but are now on track to their dream wedding.

(Victoria on right)

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5EA9F840

I've been invited to the wedding (again) but won't be going. Too much bad-blood with ex-wife, would only end up car-park-wrestling with her brother(s) and even though I enjoy porridge, I don't fancy a striped suntan.

Anyway, we had a lengthy conversation, lots of old wounds were patched up and we've vowed to maintain regular contact in the future. I also obtained a contact number for daughter #2 (Bethany) and a possible address in a serious shit-hole area of Glasgow.

Phoned her up, rang for eternity, she finally answered. Again, quite an emotional conversation during which she revealed the string of events which led to her current situation. Turns out, my ex-wife has all but disowned her (Victoria hinted at this during our conversation but it didn't "click" at the time) and she has been struggling with mental health issues of her own - something to do with anxiety and minor self-harm (she headbutts walls to "level things out" - her own words) and has been seeing a therapist on-and-off for a couple of years. Even though offered, she's adamant that medication is 100% not an option - I've got no idea if this is a good or bad thing, felt completely out of my depth and helpless as she told me all of this. Suffice to say, I'm now worried sick about my baby daughter, the girl who was titanium-clad and the bane of school bullies (something of an achievement in an Eastend of Glasgow highschool!) has now become this broken and vulnerable person I barely recognize.

Oh, and her other half, even by her own words, sounds like someone I'd quite like to shallow grave. The address I was given was wrong (but in the correct general area) so I'm currently tapping other winged-monkeys to narrow the search down a bit.

I'm now caught between my instincts to protect my child (starting with stomping her BF into the fucking dirt) and standing off, calming down and trying to be more objective about things. I know that I only have two modes of operation - ignore or over-react - so to prevent myself from making things worse, I'll chew my own fist and await further details.

The reason I'm posting this?

You buggers are pretty smart, are 100% more sensible than I am, please advise! I'm stressing out over this and am sick with worry. I know I'll do something I regret and even though I can handle any fallout, I'm terrified I do something retarded and make Bethany worse. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, another pic of my eldest and her fiance...how cute a couple, huh?

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5EAAC2A4

(No idea who the baby is)

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'll need to work on my stance and my trigger pull.
I take it "First pressure, second pressure, release and follow-through" are also taught in the states? If not, I'm an extremely experienced coach and will gladly DM you hints/tips.

(sorry if that's egg-sucking!)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I'll need to work on my stance and my trigger pull.
I take it "First pressure, second pressure, release and follow-through" are also taught in the states? If not, I'm an extremely experienced coach and will gladly DM you hints/tips.

(sorry if that's egg-sucking!)
Hey that'd be great! Anything and everything would surely be of benefit.

Regarding the much-maligned 92FS/M9 trigger, Paul Harrell says to "first take the slop out" of the SA pull. I took a shooting lesson recently and the gal observed I was tugging instead of squeezing. I said, but what about my trigger mechanics?

John D

Post by John D »

Bhurzum wrote: You buggers are pretty smart, are 100% more sensible than I am, please advise! I'm stressing out over this and am sick with worry. I know I'll do something I regret and even though I can handle any fallout, I'm terrified I do something retarded and make Bethany worse. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Don't know how smart I am but I can sympathize with you. My oldest daughter and I have fallen on tough times. She acts like she hates me. I am privileged and monstrous in her view. I have always been a provider and protector of her so her rejection of me has hurt me deeply.

I got some good advice from my therapist. He told me that I need to make sure she understands that I am always here to help. That I should let her know I only want the best for her. I may not know what this looks like, but I am open to trying to understand what she needs.

This approach allows me to have my own opinion, my own life, but also let her know she can count on me.... that I feel a duty to help her if I can.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: After considerable research, handling and firing a variety of handguns, and much hemming and hawing, I went and bought a Beretta 92:

Nice gun. I have fired one of these that a friend owns. I really liked how it felt. Good choice.

I have a Glock 17 - 9mm x 19. Ugly gun... but I really like it. It is my home defense gun. I leave it ready for action, with 3 magazines full of hollow points, in a safe in my bedroom. I live in a stupidly safe neighborhood so I doubt I will ever need it. Still, I have scenarios in my head about what I would do under particular situations. It mostly looks like me hiding in my bedroom, behind a big dresser, while I call the cops.

I have been thinking about getting my concealed carry permit. Thinking about a .38 revolver snub nose that will fit in a pocket holster. I am not a very experienced shooter so I would worry about a semi-auto with a round in the chamber shoved in a holster. Double action feels safer and still only needs one hand to operate.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: After considerable research, handling and firing a variety of handguns, and much hemming and hawing, I went and bought a Beretta 92:

Beretta.JPG

Actually, I bought it over a month ago. But the state DOJ had bolloxed the gun shop’s FFL licensing paperwork, so they were limited to selling fishing tackle. Two weeks later, they were official again, so I drove the hour and half, passed the background check, aced the 30-question safety test, then waited the obligatory ten day ‘cooling down’ period to drive the hour and half back, pass the loading/unloading test, and finally take it home.

In the middle of all this, the virus panic hit. On my second of three trips, the governor had just issued a state-wide lock-down the day before. Fearing that gun and ammo sales would be stopped, folks swarmed the gun stores. It was a madhouse.

Funny thing, though: certain municipalities did start shutting down gun stores, all while releasing thousands of prisoners unable to ‘social distance’ in their jail cells, and tasking LE with enforcing self-quarantines. Because self-defense is “not an essential function”. Oh, and because too many new gun owners stuck at home might lead to a spike in suicides, domestic violence, and negligent discharges. Which makes abrogating constitutional rights okay.

Fortunately for me, the county in question took a more hands-off approach, because there’s a 30-day window to pick up your new gun before having to start the process all over. The shop was nearly out of ammo, though they'd set aside some 9x19 for me. I’m also low on buckshot but the best they could offer was BB.

Anyway, I love the damn thing. It’s an A1, a derivative of the FS, but with a small picatinny rail in front of the trigger guard. It’s sweet to operate, fits perfectly in my big mitts, and has several built-in safety features. With being so used to my shotgun, I'll need to work on my stance and my trigger pull. As soon as I can score some more target load, that is.
I'm confused. Does it shoot water, nerfs, or potato pellets?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum - it sounds like you've made the right first step and made contact and allowed a bit of free wheeling conversation/blame offloading etc. IMHO the worst thing for you to do now would be to insert yourself into the space as father and protector. I would suggest that you maintain low key contact with them, being open to hearing what they have to say without being reactive or judgemental, and letting them dictate the terms for now. You need to demonstrate that you are a safe space and play the long game.

But you know this, so I'm just validating.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote: I got some good advice from my therapist. He told me that I need to make sure she understands that I am always here to help. That I should let her know I only want the best for her. I may not know what this looks like, but I am open to trying to understand what she needs.
That sounds like solid advice. I'm phoning them both on Friday, will relate this to Bethany.

Thanks, John.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote: Bhurzum - it sounds like you've made the right first step and made contact and allowed a bit of free wheeling conversation/blame offloading etc. IMHO the worst thing for you to do now would be to insert yourself into the space as father and protector. I would suggest that you maintain low key contact with them, being open to hearing what they have to say without being reactive or judgemental, and letting them dictate the terms for now. You need to demonstrate that you are a safe space and play the long game.

Any/all advice is welcome. Remember: I'm a fucking caveman and about as subtle as a brick to the forehead.

I must admit, in the past, I always thought there was something wrong with my circuits - if anyone went within arms-reach of my kids, I instantly went into fight-mode. My wife laughed this off as the simple overly-protective nature of a new father. Over time (and due to the reassurances of my wife) I calmed down to the stage where I would allow my kids to play in the local park without being right next to them. It was the stuff of nightmares and even though I'd maintain a constant vigil, it became a manageable evil.

After my conversation with my youngest, it has ripped that can of worms open again and I'm back at square one.

I've never felt so helpless or useless in my life.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: Bhurzum - it sounds like you've made the right first step and made contact and allowed a bit of free wheeling conversation/blame offloading etc. IMHO the worst thing for you to do now would be to insert yourself into the space as father and protector. I would suggest that you maintain low key contact with them, being open to hearing what they have to say without being reactive or judgemental, and letting them dictate the terms for now. You need to demonstrate that you are a safe space and play the long game.

Any/all advice is welcome. Remember: I'm a fucking caveman and about as subtle as a brick to the forehead.

I must admit, in the past, I always thought there was something wrong with my circuits - if anyone went within arms-reach of my kids, I instantly went into fight-mode. My wife laughed this off as the simple overly-protective nature of a new father. Over time (and due to the reassurances of my wife) I calmed down to the stage where I would allow my kids to play in the local park without being right next to them. It was the stuff of nightmares and even though I'd maintain a constant vigil, it became a manageable evil.

After my conversation with my youngest, it has ripped that can of worms open again and I'm back at square one.

I've never felt so helpless or useless in my life.
Mate, I totally understand the feeling of helplessness/uselessness. Being tough is easy for you. But you will have to harden the fuck up in order to do the soft stuff that is required to actually be useful to your girls. It won't be easy but it will be worth it (ya big Jessie).

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Bhurz:
The hardest part of parenting is to watch children undergo the vital and necessary process of making their own mistakes. You watch the slow-motion car crashes and know that you could help the kids avoid them, and know too that without those experiences they learn nothing for themselves. The best you can do is to keep the open door policy going. I want to say don't be judgemental, but your experience and good judgement is part of the package of help when needed. Just don't open with it as the last thing a hurt and damaged young adult needs is a lecture on their stupidity. My father was a master at this - one pained and disappointed look was enough to have me mend my ways whenever I let him down as a child. He never criticised, just looked hurt. Very effective.

Matt:
Possibly a waste of money, but I too have been playing with grown-up toys. I was hoping that if the transplant was successful I could spend some time at a range near the house we are renovating and will/would have move(d) to nearer the wife's clinic. I have converted my nipples (all three* of them!) to use #11 shotgun primers which should resolve difficulties with hangfires of the Pyrodex. I am also fascinated by the ballistics of the .17HMR and have acquired a Ruger bolt action in this calibre. But these days, all I get to use is my pre-charged pneumatics for garden games. The FX Dreamline is a blast!
*one on a T/C Hawken .50, and two on a Navy Arms S/S 12G shotgun.

John D

Post by John D »

How much will liberty die over this????

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:
EconTalk is the very best. And it's not strictly limited to 'economics'...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAu-m ... KPA/videos

honorable mentions...

Cartoonist Kayfabe(looking-back at past-greats in the comic book industry), look for the Shoot Interviews playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0v4I ... /playlists

Art of Wrestling, look for the Full Episodes playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ColtCabana ... /playlists

WTF Podcast with Marc Maron
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0xgw_ ... 3hw/videos

the New Culture Forum with Peter Whittle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYHZz ... wMQ/videos

Mises institute economics
https://www.youtube.com/user/misesmedia/videos
I give them some thought.

nb on a recent episode of Michael Malice's show - Tom Woods mentioned that the urge to make everything political is a totalitarian one. (Yeah I know I'm crossing the streams with respect to recommendations - but I think I know that you know both parties involved). Anyway - I agree with that sentiment.

Which is why after listening to Peter Whittle for a bit - I have the urge to find something on a different subject. It gets to a point where you are only listening to people you agree with and you can predict what they are going to say next.

I'm ahead (or at least apace) with you on the Cartoonist Kayfabe front - even though I'm unfamiliar with Hip Hop Family Tree and Street Angel.

As to my own recommendations...

Sean Carrol's Mindscape - he has a voice for ASMR, so if I drift off I don't mind - if you can put up with the occasional left-wing-ism - he is is someone that is having interesting conversations - his recent interview with Neil Shubin for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/user/seancarroll/videos

Oakwise Becomming - if you are in the mood for more ASMR - this time done by some chick with an interest in Paganism Nationalism.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTD9uy ... 7Eg/videos

Aeon Byte Gnostic Radio - maybe a little esoteric for some - but I find myself becoming more tolerant of some of the heterodox beliefs - seriously weird in parts and it's less expensive than drugs...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC67NBV ... SsA/videos

Manufacturing Intellect - recently had a interview with Marcel Duchamp up - for those interested in post-modern or po-mo adjacent things
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vaipan/videos

Talks at Google is overly burdened with content - it's sometimes hard to sort the wheat from the chaff there...

Just downloaded something by William Burroughs - we'll see how that goes...

Hope you and the dog are navigating post holocaust environment of NYC OK - and that you don't have to make any hard choices (cf A Boy and His Dog).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: How much will liberty die over this????

If the founding fathers were alive today - their habits of personal hygiene would not past muster - and would have to be constitutionally amended.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Perfect music for the here and now...

Starting to develop a real taste for ethnic/obscure music and instruments. I'll be buying folk music before the year is over... :oops:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: Hope you and the dog are navigating post holocaust environment of NYC OK - and that you don't have to make any hard choices (cf A Boy and His Dog).
Thanks for the recommendations.

Funny you'd mention A Boy and his Dog-- my girlfriend has made a couple 'what if' wisecracks about resorting-to eating the dog-- and I catch his eye & think at-him, 'she has no idea, pal.' Her old parents are ok & so-are her sisters--

Tho, one sister ~always~ has fake health complaints. That one's on Japanese social media-- telling relatives she has lost her sense of smell & taste. Also claiming that asians are attacked on the street if they go-out without masks. An attention-whore cousin in Taiwan has accepted the challenge: they're trading-posts... quibbling about who is suffering worse. I see any need for a formal roll call vote on the record... everybody knows who needs to be sacrificed for calories.

The Puerto Rican liquor store owners have stopped selling miniature single-serving alcohol bottles. They decided they don't want customers in the Under-$5 range. The Chinese laundry is closed, with the metal gate down. But they peeked thru the gate, scrambled out the side door, & chased me down the block, calling me back-- to accept my bag. Made me feel VIP. I'm one of the few customers who tips-. It's paying off. I had a third example, which I can't remember. What I'm getting-at... is a pattern of discrimination against Blacks. In my neighborhood-- blacks are the only group who still hang-out in tight clusters-- of five-or-more, not wearing masks, in front of McDonalds & the filthy Cigarette (and weed) store-- which refuses to close.

We had to walk a few blocks into Chinatown-- to find a Chinese supermarket that's open. A guy out front won't let customers in, without a mask. But he provides free surgical style masks. I thought "See!, the free market spontaneously invents efficient new norms & solutions, without centralized govt interference! Socialists claim that capitalism is 'social darwinism', but Survival of the Fittest is much-more brutal-- when it's violent gang-war between identity-groups and literal class-warfare. Far-better to 'compete' in civilized free markets-- with money not weapons!" Inner monologues like that are the reason I need to leave the internet & take walks. But you're right, Marcus: making 'everything about politics' is a bad idea. Making 'everything about money' sounds-worse, but is better.

Approaching that store, I also noticed that my girlfriend took-off her better N95 mask-- before we reached the store. So she could get a free, worse surgical mask. So the free mask thing incentivizes gaming-the-system. Maybe they should charge a coin. But yuck, who wants to touch small change?

There's a sidewalk-triangle in Chinatown-- with bike racks & park benches. I see the city has removed the wood from those benches. But-- closer to the Bowery-- the park benches down the median of Allen Street-- are intact. Going back 3 mayors-- city & subway benches have been strategically-removed to discourage loitering. Or subdivided with barriers, so a person can't lay-down. But the Allen Street benches were always left intact & sleepable-- an intentional design-decision to herd all the vagrants into one spot. Makes policing easier, in normal times. But today I saw a mom with 2 kids playing on those benches. When fighting a contagious disease-- does it make sense to remove 95% of park benches-- if the result is more-sharing of the remaining 5%?

Somebody-else's turn: what's going on in your neighborhood?

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Bhurzum wrote: Perfect music for the here and now...

Starting to develop a real taste for ethnic/obscure music and instruments. I'll be buying folk music before the year is over... :oops:

"Old 97 went in the wrong hole..."

free thoughtpolice

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

...and I'm cured!

Screeching electric guitar, face-melting solos and grinding death-metal dirges it is.

Still, was nice whilst it lasted.

Parting shot:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

A bit of Scandi Norse atmospheric battle folk music.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

A video providing further evidence for the theory of the virus originating from this lab:

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I couldn't share this at the time.
tom_cruise_in_drag_twitter.png
(44.71 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

free thoughtpolice

jugheadnaut wrote:
A video providing further evidence for the theory of the virus originating from this lab:
Am I mistaken in reading that the researchers collected the virus from some people in the countryside? That would mean that not only that the virus was not developed in the lab, but the real "patient zero" wasn't a lab worker, they were just the first "confirmed case.
There is a difference between "originating" and first identified.
It certainly does make it easy to believe the worst about the CCP though because they are basically capable of anything and can't be trusted.

free thoughtpolice

I am too old to hike anymore but it is cool too see some younguns doing some good photography. The cool thing is I can see the mountains/glacler/snowfield in question from my front yard and much of the local area.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Am I mistaken in reading that the researchers collected the virus from some people in the countryside? That would mean that not only that the virus was not developed in the lab, but the real "patient zero" wasn't a lab worker, they were just the first "confirmed case.
There is a difference between "originating" and first identified.
It certainly does make it easy to believe the worst about the CCP though because they are basically capable of anything and can't be trusted.
My understanding is that the six villagers in Yunnan infected with a SARS-CoV virus were from an older study that established the link between bats and this class of viruses infecting humans. The video shows a paper on this dated 2005, so this research was in the wake of the original SARS epidemic and involved a different virus than SARS-CoV-2. Presumably, the lab was routinely bringing in bats from the region for further study, and if this theory is correct, they eventually hit on the wrong one and its blood or urine somehow splashed on researchers which was the origination event. In my view, the most interesting thing in the video is the description of the virus as 'terrible' in the Dec. 24/2019 job posting, seemingly indicating they knew the virus was both readily transmissible and deadly before anyone in Wuhan was hospitalized for it. It could also be a translation issue. Perhaps the Mandarin also translates to something like 'pernicious', which this class of virus was already known to be and didn't require any adverse events to justify. Definitely fodder for further investigation.

free thoughtpolice

Jugheadnaut:
You are saying a single bat pissed on a researcher that took it back to a lab where it turned infectious? It's not impossible but seems unlikely to me.
I'm not an expert, but it seems tome more likely it took hold in the general area around Wuhan, exactly as its cousin SARS.
It probably incubated for years before it was noticed.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: I have a Glock 17 - 9mm x 19. Ugly gun... but I really like it.
Glocks are quite stolid. Very dependable. Fucking Austrians.

It is my home defense gun. I leave it ready for action, with 3 magazines full of hollow points, in a safe in my bedroom.
That's not "ready for action", brat.

I have scenarios in my head about what I would do under particular situations. It mostly looks like me hiding in my bedroom, behind a big dresser, while I call the cops.
There's a lot to be said for hiding. Just don't conflate concealment with cover.

I have been thinking about getting my concealed carry permit. Thinking about a .38 revolver snub nose that will fit in a pocket holster.
Consider one chambered for .357, which can also fire .38 special. {NB: it does not work the other way around.] But nix on the pocket carry. Unless you're one of those metrosexuals toting a 'murse'.

I am not a very experienced shooter so I would worry about a semi-auto with a round in the chamber shoved in a holster. Double action feels safer and still only needs one hand to operate.
If you like the Glock 17, for CC why not consider the 19 or one of the "baby" Glocks -- the 26 or 43? Striker-fire is quite safe for carry ... so long as your not just tucking it in the waste band of your baggie, droopy, Rucka MC, Nike gym shorts.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Jugheadnaut:
You are saying a single bat pissed on a researcher that took it back to a lab where it turned infectious? It's not impossible but seems unlikely to me.
I'm not an expert, but it seems tome more likely it took hold in the general area around Wuhan, exactly as its cousin SARS.
No, the urine/blood contamination would have been in the lab itself, which, as one of China's leading bat virus labs, would have been constantly bringing in bats to study. SARS is actually believed to have originated in Guangdong in Southern China, the same general region as Yunnan where the chief investigator in this lab discovered the bat link a few years later. The video speculates that the initial accelerator event was when the body of the researcher was prepared for cremation, the existence of the virus was being kept secret by order of the CCP and it was passed on to mortuary workers who weren't properly protected. This is pure speculation, though, and it's certainly possible the researcher went to the nearby wet market to do some shopping after infection but before she was really sick and that served as the accelerant. The cremation scenario places blame for the original outbreak, not just the global spread, on the CCP, and the video author has a huge hate-on for the CCP, so he may be engaged in motivated reasoning.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Everything is fine here. Confinement doesn't really change our habits much, except the restrictions about going to the beach with the dog. Conan takes it badly. We only go (one by one, never together) for dog-walking or vital groceries (beer, whiskey...).

About 10 days ago we made the official announcement of our signing with Massacre Records for the new album's release, which will be on May 22nd. Pretty cool. We also revealed the cover artwork and a couple of band pictures. Here they are:

https://scontent-mrs2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EADFF14

https://scontent-mrs2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EAC2095

John D

Post by John D »

Wow - very cool Phil - are the guys in the back supposed to look like Star Trek characters from the first series?... cause... well... "Commander Lieven"... "Officer Pol".... has a ring to it.

Dog - My neighborhood has lots of people that can work from home... engineers and such. There is almost no traffic on our neighborhood streets. The main streets are running at about 25% of normal. I have always walked my dog three times a day and now I meet five times more of my neighbors. So many people with dogs I have never said hi to. Most people must not walk their dogs and must usually just let them into their yards. COVID-19 is a dog holiday! Every one on my neighbors says hi when we pass each other. Most stores are closed... like the giant shopping mall... but the grocery stores are busy and the shelves are now mostly full. I was one of the few people wearing a scarf over my mouth/nose at the store. I have no masks so I improvised. 80% of people at the store don't have any face covering of any kind.

I honestly think the medical establishment lied to us about mask efficacy so that health care works could get more masks. A useful lie perhaps, but a lie none the less. It defies all logic that masks would not help the public.

Matt - Yeah... I am not following most recommendations with my pistol. It is a dilemma and I am not sure what the best process is. The thing is that I live in a stupidly safe neighborhood. The chances of my needing a gun approach zero. So, I have taken steps to make sure there are no accidents with my pistol. I keep it locked in a safe and I keep the chamber empty. The reason I do this is that I figure the biggest risk for me is negligent discharge by my stupid drunk nephew or something like that. If I have to get my pistol I will have to have to take the time to get it out of the safe. Add the extra step to rack it takes almost no extra time. I am sure I will not forget to rack it since I always practice by starting with an empty chamber. Not perfect I know. If I felt there was an imminent threat I would leave it loaded setting on my nightstand.

Also, I have been considering a pocket pistol as well as a revolver. I would be comfortable with a Glock 43 I think. I think my next step is to fire a few pocket pistols and revolvers and see what I like. The reason I lean toward a small revolver is that they are stupidly reliable and I am not that experienced. I know it takes a half second to squeeze a double action, but you will never get a short stroke. In a tussle the stroke on a semi-automatic can be blocked. If that happens you need two hands to rack it. With a revolver you just have to squeeze the trigger again in the case where the cylinder is blocked. Revolvers are wider than pocket pistols so there is that to consider. Anyway... stuff to think about while I work from home and watch gun videos. And... I would never carry without a proper holster.... I am not some fucking rapper hoodlum.

My wife and I have been "seeing" (over Zoom) a therapist. We have been getting along pretty well the last few weeks. It has been a pleasant life. I am still fighting with my daughter who has TDS and is a SJW.... but I remain calm while she calls my ideas "crazy" and "disgusting". I don't see this improving any time soon.... especially since my daughter is also now fighting with my wife over her "white privilege". Explaining "white privilege" to my wife has been fun.... haha. My wife and I raised our kids in comfort. My wife grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood where she started smoking pot and cigs at 13 yo. Her father was a drunk who beat and cheated on her mother.... but then there was the time when her father came home drunk and her mom poured boiling water on his face while he was passed out on the couch.... or the time her mom sprained her leg because she broke all his shotguns in two. Good ole "white privilege"... haha.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jugheadnaut wrote: ... the video author has a huge hate-on for the CCP, so he may be engaged in motivated reasoning.
That's no worse than the Useful Idiots of the American MSM parroting CCP propaganda and lies.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Wow - very cool Phil - are the guys in the back supposed to look like Star Trek characters from the first series?... cause... well... "Commander Lieven"... "Officer Pol".... has a ring to it.
LOL, they do. At least Phil's in plate. And there's a monk.

When and how can we listen to the new release?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: Wow - very cool Phil - are the guys in the back supposed to look like Star Trek characters from the first series?... cause... well... "Commander Lieven"... "Officer Pol".... has a ring to it.
LOL, they do. At least Phil's in plate. And there's a monk.

When and how can we listen to the new release?

Release is planned for May 22nd, and there will be some singles/videos before that. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, I just learned a "friend" of mine has been arrested for murder. They found his father disemboweled and with an arrow in his head at the familial house. Covid-19 has been ruled out as cause of death...

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

On masks, is it a cultural difference between east and west? In the west we are individualistic, so the idea of a mask is first and foremost thought of as protection for the wearer. In the east there is more emphasis on the group, so the mask is thought of as a way to protect others.

So the answer to "is a mask effective" partly depends who is being protected.

Whenever I am driving in fog I see people with their headlights off (typically in a grey or silver car). I always imagine them saying "why should I turn on my headlights? I can see just fine", instead of thinking that you should turn on your headlights so that other people can see you.

free thoughtpolice

When I wear my protective mask in public I get a lot of odd looks.
COVFEFE-45 mask.PNG
(272.07 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Driftless wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:39 am
On masks, is it a cultural difference between east and west? In the west we are individualistic, so the idea of a mask is first and foremost thought of as protection for the wearer. In the east there is more emphasis on the group, so the mask is thought of as a way to protect others.

So the answer to "is a mask effective" partly depends who is being protected.

Whenever I am driving in fog I see people with their headlights off (typically in a grey or silver car). I always imagine them saying "why should I turn on my headlights? I can see just fine", instead of thinking that you should turn on your headlights so that other people can see you.
Allow me to bring in a precision: in a fog, your low beam headlights must be on. Else, you just blind the oncoming vehicles and yourself.

regarding the mask: with a virus such as covid-19 that has quite a long incubation period, and lots of asymptomatic cases, it's a protection for others, not for yourself. I wear a motorcycle mask (no other types available to the public).

FT: I hope you heal well and good.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

I see WEIT has the obligatory anti-gun, anti-NRA post up, so the weenies that still comment there can have their mutual masturbation fest. Apparently, the deplorables are quivering in their hovels, waiting for brown people to steal their TP. Gun stores are NOT essential, while pot and liquor stores are.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... /#comments

John D

Post by John D »

Shit. I have been drinking too much. I know I have to change my behavior in a significant way (having alcohol induced amnesia twice a week is not a proper lifestyle). Working from home makes it worse.

So. I told my wife and our therapist that I need to make a plan for going forward, and the first step to this is to stop drinking for the next two days. Well... let's see what happens.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: ... the video author has a huge hate-on for the CCP, so he may be engaged in motivated reasoning.
That's no worse than the Useful Idiots of the American MSM parroting CCP propaganda and lies.
The MSM is much worse because they are knowingly whitewashing a regime whose initial actions suppressing the nature and scope of the problem magnified the initial wave of global spread, while he is just being uncharitable to a regime that merits it. On reflection, the cremation scenario isn't as entirely speculative as I first presumed. The virology institute is by all accounts well-run and uses world-standard security protocols, so if the researcher was exposed to bat fluids, she would have gone into quarantine and not gone to the wet market to initiate the epidemic, leaving post-mortem spread as the more likely scenario.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:53 pm
free thoughtpolice wrote: Jugheadnaut:
No, the urine/blood contamination would have been in the lab itself, which, as one of China's leading bat virus labs, would have been constantly bringing in bats to study. SARS is actually believed to have originated in Guangdong in Southern China, the same general region as Yunnan where the chief investigator in this lab discovered the bat link a few years later. The video speculates that the initial accelerator event was when the body of the researcher was prepared for cremation, the existence of the virus was being kept secret by order of the CCP and it was passed on to mortuary workers who weren't properly protected. This is pure speculation, though, and it's certainly possible the researcher went to the nearby wet market to do some shopping after infection but before she was really sick and that served as the accelerant. The cremation scenario places blame for the original outbreak, not just the global spread, on the CCP, and the video author has a huge hate-on for the CCP, so he may be engaged in motivated reasoning.
Lack of hate-on for the CCP would be a red flag AFAIAC. This guy lived in China and is quite familiar with the ways of the CCP. He is also quite objective and balanced in his reporting in my experience. He comes up with some additional pointers to the lab being involved, including the disappearance of a researcher around the time this was all supposed to have begun. The authorities claim that she is alive and well without offering any proof and her profile has been scrubbed from the lab's site.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

John D wrote: Shit. I have been drinking too much. I know I have to change my behavior in a significant way (having alcohol induced amnesia twice a week is not a proper lifestyle). Working from home makes it worse.

So. I told my wife and our therapist that I need to make a plan for going forward, and the first step to this is to stop drinking for the next two days. Well... let's see what happens.
Bit of advice from an alcoholic who has stopped many times: Don't go cold turkey.

Manage your drinking as you slowly reduce your intake.

https://www.drugrehab.com/addiction/alc ... x-at-home/

True and tested method. Multiple times...

John D

Post by John D »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote: Shit. I have been drinking too much. I know I have to change my behavior in a significant way (having alcohol induced amnesia twice a week is not a proper lifestyle). Working from home makes it worse.

Bit of advice from an alcoholic who has stopped many times: Don't go cold turkey.

Thanks. I don't plan to quit completely. I want to take a two day break and then set better rules for myself. If I start to have a big problem I will reserve my ability to have a shot of brandy.... haha. I think I will be okay for two days. I hope this allows me to think my way through this.

My mom is in the nursing home, she is 82 yo, and they just told my family that there is a Covid-19 case in the next hall way. Shitty day to give up drinking!

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

John D wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Thanks. I don't plan to quit completely. I want to take a two day break and then set better rules for myself. If I start to have a big problem I will reserve my ability to have a shot of brandy.... haha. I think I will be okay for two days. I hope this allows me to think my way through this.

My mom is in the nursing home, she is 82 yo, and they just told my family that there is a Covid-19 case in the next hall way. Shitty day to give up drinking!
Seriously -- good luck with sorting out the drinking.

Not seriously:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Very interesting unpublished photo essay on the personal experience of a Waffen SS officer from childhood to Russia ‘41. Wiking Division.

https://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/hartmann.htm

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: regarding the mask: with a virus such as covid-19 that has quite a long incubation period, and lots of asymptomatic cases, it's a protection for others, not for yourself. I wear a motorcycle mask (no other types available to the public).
There has been evidence to suggest that initial viral load is key in exactly how you'll fare with this virus. People infected directly by a person have been found to have a much higher mortality than if you're infected incidental to, e.g. picking up the virus from a surface. So all the washing, distancing, and partially effective masks actually serve a purpose and are far better than nothing.